mtbr member

Kona Bear w/ 5" front fork?

I'm upgrading my Kona Bear with a new fork. The bike is originally set up for 4" front & rear, but I'd like to get a little more travel up front without throwing the geometry off? Think a 120mm fork would be ok? Is there drastic differences between brands as far as axel to crown height? I was thinking a Marzocchi Marathon S 120mm or a Manitou Minute (90-120mm)

Any clues?

Just roll it......

I've got a Fox Vanilla on the front of mine.

I recently put the stock linkage back on the rear and kept the Vanilla in the 125mm travel and I'm really loving it. It slackens the bike enough to make it more comfortable hauling arse going downhill, but not so much that it is unresponsive on the trail.

'Zocchi, Manitou and Fox have all of the A-2-C measurements on their site. You could also do a search on the forums to find that info too. I know the '04 Z1 FR (518mm A2C) is over an inch taller than my Fox, but I've considered giving that a try. A buddy with the '03 Z1 and I are going to swap just to see how it affects our bike. Should be fun.

Cheers,
    EB

rob
    slakDawg

03 Z1 FR (130) on my Dawg

I really like the extra travel and plushness of the Z1. This is my do all bike and the only time it's an issue at all are on the steep climbs, then it can get a little squirrely. It's def. worth it on the downs.

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks...I think I'm going to go with a Manitou that will give me on the fly travel adjustment. Now it's up to the Ebay gods to come through for me.

THANKS.

Just roll it......

Rob, do you take advantage of the ETA?

Just curious, because I have a slew of buddies that ride the Z1 and Z150 and most of them use the ETA for long climbs, but a couple of them never even touch the thing. It seems like a great feature to lower the front end, but they don't seem to mind the height (none are riding the Bear).

EB

rob
    slakDawg

Yes on occasion...

Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Rob, do you take advantage of the ETA?
    I do use it on occasion. Not much locally as there isn't many steep climbs around. But when we head to the mountains (Pisgah), I'll use it on those steep extended singletrack climbs and sometimes (if I remember) on those longer service road climbs. I find it adds stability to the bike, which means less work for me. I can concentrate on climbing instead of steering. On the shorter climbs, I just man-handle the front end to keep it pointed in the right direction. Not that it is so bad, only on the really steeps.