Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Kikapu Cracking

  1. #1
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151

    Kikapu Cracking

    I think my 2004 Kikapu frame is cracking at the top of the welds at the rocker arm pivots. On both sides there are small hairline cracks. I noticed them because it started to make a nasty creaking sound. I thought it was the fork but after investigting a little further I noticed it was only happening when the rear end was compressing, so I started looking and found the cracks. I don't do anything hardcore, just XC. Has anyone else had a Kik crack there? I'll try to post some pics up later.

  2. #2
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    You can see it at the left side of the top weld, it didn't show up on the picture but the crack continues to the right through the weld. The other side is the same thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,206

    Nothing on mine

    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    You can see it at the left side of the top weld, it didn't show up on the picture but the crack continues to the right through the weld. The other side is the same thing.
    Same 04 Kik Deluxe.
    I'd go ahead and ask for warranty and maybe you'll get a nice 05 4"

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    215
    Aluminium is not the best choice of material for MTB frames. I do hope they are recycling all these cracked non-renewable resources.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,206

    Oh Yes it Is

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fuzznel
    Aluminium is not the best choice of material for MTB frames. I do hope they are recycling all these cracked non-renewable resources.
    When done right, it's the best material for Full Suspension frames. Titanium is too flexy, so is steel

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    When done right, it's the best material for Full Suspension frames. Titanium is too flexy, so is steel
    But why would you worry about 'flexy' tubes on a full-suspension bike?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clanky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    186
    Because you want your bike to be stiff and track straight. It wouldn't do that if the frame was a flexy noodle. With a FS bike you have front and rear suspension so the benefit that a hardtail gets from a forgiving material wont equate on an FS frame.

  8. #8
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    It's also not as efficient if some of your power is used up flexying the frame instead of being made into forward motion.

  9. #9
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    So today I UPSed the frame to Kona for $60...

    We'll see what they say when it gets there next week. Probablem is that the 05 Kikapus use 2" stoke shocks with a longer e2e so my shock won't fit in the frame.

    Joe, what will happen in this situation? Am I going to have to go out and buy a new shock??

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joe - Kona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    368
    I don't do warranty, so i don't know. Not likely, though. Did you send the shock with the frame? If so, i'd guess we'd keep it and get you the setup for the new one....

  11. #11
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    Thanks for the reply, I didn't send the shock with the frame. The shop I bought it from tore down the bike and packaged it, without the shock. We'll see what warranty says.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,206

    So sounds like your shop got an RMA for ya right away

    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Thanks for the reply, I didn't send the shock with the frame. The shop I bought it from tore down the bike and packaged it, without the shock. We'll see what warranty says.
    But "assumed" you'd have to buy a new shock?
    Good deal on getting the ball rolling
    Let us know how Kona treats you on this; I'm sure you'll be treated well

  13. #13
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    I emailed the warranty dude and he said that my options are a 2005 Kikapu which I would have to buy a new shock for or a 2004 Dawg Primo which uses the same size shock but I'd need a new seatpost and front derailleur. I think the Dawg would cost me more too. I wish Kona would hook a brother up with a new shock

    Anyway, I'm gonna have to figure out which one will be cheaper. I don't know how much more the Dawg will cost for the frame, then I have to get the seatpost and derailleur. Luckily I have the hook up at a shop I used to work for so I can get pretty much any parts at wholesale, including a new shock. I will most likely go for whichever will be cheapest, as they are both 4 inch travel frames. The Dawg will obviously be stronger which is something I might should consider as my last Kik cracked. I don't do anything crazy on the bike, just XC so maybe the redesigned kik will be a little stronger, and lighter.... Oh the choices!

    What do you guys think?

    Maybe Joe can hook me up? *wink wink*

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joe - Kona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I emailed the warranty dude and he said that my options are a 2005 Kikapu which I would have to buy a new shock for or a 2004 Dawg Primo which uses the same size shock but I'd need a new seatpost and front derailleur. I think the Dawg would cost me more too. I wish Kona would hook a brother up with a new shock

    Anyway, I'm gonna have to figure out which one will be cheaper. I don't know how much more the Dawg will cost for the frame, then I have to get the seatpost and derailleur. Luckily I have the hook up at a shop I used to work for so I can get pretty much any parts at wholesale, including a new shock. I will most likely go for whichever will be cheapest, as they are both 4 inch travel frames. The Dawg will obviously be stronger which is something I might should consider as my last Kik cracked. I don't do anything crazy on the bike, just XC so maybe the redesigned kik will be a little stronger, and lighter.... Oh the choices!

    What do you guys think?

    Maybe Joe can hook me up? *wink wink*
    Sorry, dude, but i'm not in the hookup department. I just had to give back some stuff i was testing, myself, so i don't really end up with extra parts.
    If debating between the two for your style, go with the Kikapu. It's stronger than the older design, and a little more effieicent, too!
    If you can get a shock at wholesale, you're in luck. The Fox RP3 we use on the bikes is really nice, and should work well. I also got to use a Manitou Swinger air for a while, and that was a nice shock. It took some more tuning, but it worked well. Yuo can check and see which of those two is cheaper if you're in a pinch, either will work well.
    Hope this helped,
    Joe.

  15. #15
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    Yep, the stock Vanilla shock isn't the best. I don't think it even has propedal. So I'm leaning toward 05 Kikapu with an RP3. That way will probably be cheaper than the Dawg anyhow.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,206

    Agree with Joe on the Kikapu

    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Yep, the stock Vanilla shock isn't the best. I don't think it even has propedal. So I'm leaning toward 05 Kikapu with an RP3. That way will probably be cheaper than the Dawg anyhow.
    I say take your warranty replacement in the form of the 05 Kikapu
    hopefully you won't get that ridiculous tan color, that, I don't know what possessed whom when that color was chosen.

    Anyway, I think you'll like the new one.

    Geez, you got me thinking about problems with mine and I just got PUSH shock back for it, but I been SICK for almost a week, so just put it on tonight

    no riding
    no gym training
    nada yet!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,206

    queston

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    I don't do warranty, so i don't know. Not likely, though. Did you send the shock with the frame? If so, i'd guess we'd keep it and get you the setup for the new one....
    Joe,
    have you heard of this before?
    it's strange he only rides easy XC and has this happen. Hasn't happened to mine.

    What would cause variation of weld quality to do this?

    Or, has the weld area been improved form known stress areas?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    285

    2005 Kikapus have been strengthened in the area that

    The crack had developed plus they are using the clump tubing on the kikapus now so the frame is a lot stiffer plus the cold forged bottom bracket area is a great addition. Have you checked with Konas warranty guy to see if they have a shock for you. They might have one in stock at a good price. My local shop said they get great deals on shocks from Kona from time to time. You will love the 2005 Kikapu.

  19. #19
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,270

    Also

    I saw some guy on the Turner thread has a link to a 2" Swinger 3-way for sale. You might want to check it out as well. It should be in the classifieds, too.

  20. #20
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    Well,

    Kona called and said it really wasn't cracked. I guess they removed the paint and tested it or something to see and they said it wasn't cracking. So I guess I'll keep on riding it, but if that thing snaps I'm not gonna be happy.

  21. #21
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Well,

    Kona called and said it really wasn't cracked. I guess they removed the paint and tested it or something to see and they said it wasn't cracking. So I guess I'll keep on riding it, but if that thing snaps I'm not gonna be happy.
    what about the nasty creaking sound?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  22. #22
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    Bushings or something I guess. The frame still looks cracked to me but whatever.

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    473
    The creaking is probably coming from either a dry suspension bushing or the seat post. Mine did the same thing so I did what any curious mechanic would do...I took the whole thing apart. The pivots that make noise are the ones at each end of the seat stay. They're plastic/nylon bushings with a steel insert. Just pop em out, lube em up and put it back together. Make sure you use loc-tite on the threads and torque all the bolts to spec. I also get a creak from my seat post after it's been washed a few times. I just remove the seat post from the frame, clean it and the seat tube really well and relube it. Seems to take care of it right away. I freaked out when you first posted. I went out and looked at my frame. It's OK. It's a great bike to ride. I was thinking about PUSHing the shock. Not sure yet. Later...

  24. #24
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,151
    Yeah I know about the bushings creaking I've had that before. This time it sounded different than it had before and I saw the crack so I assumed it was that. I took the thing partially apart and the creaking stopped.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11

    Can Bushings be replaced?

    Do you need to grease the bushings? Can bearings be used to replace the bushings? I'm looking at a 04 Deluxe with a ok discount, or would it be best to get a 05?

  26. #26
    Rip
    Rip is offline
    Broken
    Reputation: Rip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Well,

    Kona called and said it really wasn't cracked. I guess they removed the paint and tested it or something to see and they said it wasn't cracking. So I guess I'll keep on riding it, but if that thing snaps I'm not gonna be happy.
    It's just how the weld is.
    À tout le monde. À tous mes amis. Je vous aime. Je dois partir.
    These are the last words I'll ever speak And they'll set me free

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20
    A couple months ago, my brothers '03 Kahuna (similar frame to Kikapu) cracked where the head tube meets the top tube. We were riding around town, so we headed to Jack's Bike Shop (where he got the bike). Instantly they said they'd take care of it. Apparently Jack's Daughter drove out to Kona (they're headquarters are about 20 min away) and he got a brand new frame, no questions asked, no charge at all for the frame or for moving all the parts. Overall I'd have to say that Kona, and the Bike Shop, treated him very well. It's things like that, that keep me loyal to a shop and a brand name.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    168
    creaking could be your bottom bracket. but my seat creaks for sure on my 03 Kikapu.

Similar Threads

  1. Kikapu Dee-lux vrs Dawg
    By Caseyls in forum Kona
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
  2. kona kikapu strength and plushness
    By watjac in forum Kona
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 04:57 PM
  3. Kikapu Frame Wieght
    By RM27 in forum Kona
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 06:39 PM
  4. Dawg Deluxe/Primo or King Kikapu?
    By squirrellyrabbit in forum Kona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 07:25 AM
  5. Trek Fuel 95 04 or Kona King Kikapu 04 ??
    By Rob-surf in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 08:29 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.