mtbr member

just procrastinating really

I'm bored, it's a muggy sunday in the middle of the Korean rainy season, and if I don't post up some pictures of my bike I'm going to be forced to prepare for tomorrow's classes.

By the way, do you think I should ever have this bike repainted? When this bike was stolen a few years ago one of the Korean policemen refered to its color as "diarrhoea brown".

Duncan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duncan; 07-03-2005 at 01:32 AM.

EDR
    The color is cool. Whats with the guy in the backround of the second pic. Is he afraid of getting SARS from your bike? lol

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Your just lucky you got the bike back.............
    But at least you got out for a ride.
    (I wish I had my bike when I was in Japan. That would have been very cool.)

mtbr member
    The middle photo was taken in Spring, at the height of the yellow dust season, when huge amounts of very fine sand is blown in from China and Mongolia. The dust also contains more than a sprinkle of industrial contaminants as well as the occasional virus, so the masks are a pretty common sight.

At the time of the theft the bike was still in its box, its wheels yet to touch down on Korean soil. I just had to bide my time and keenly observe every bike that rode past for the next three years .

I'm still toying with the idea of throwing on a fork and a avid mech disc brake on the front. And how about a glossy, sparkly, metallic red paint job? Any ideas how much that would set me back?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duncan; 07-05-2005 at 12:16 AM. Reason: change picture

is this thing on?
    I've passed through Korea enough times to say yuck. kind of like the colour of your bike nice pic (the first one) though.

Dali anyone

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    The middle photo was taken in Spring, at the height of the yellow dust season, when huge amounts of very fine sand is blown in from China and Mongolia. The dust also contains more than a sprinkle of industrial contaminants as well as the occasional virus, so the masks are a pretty common sight.

At the time of the theft the bike was still in its box, its wheels yet to touch down on Korean soil. I just had to bide my time and keenly observe every bike that rode past for the next three years .

I'm still toying with the idea of throwing on a fork and a avid mech disc brake on the front. And how about a glossy, sparkly, metallic red paint job? Any ideas how much that would set me back?

Seeing the photo's and when you said that your still in the rainy season just reminded me of my time in Japan. Thanks for that................I just loved Japan but I wish I'd had more time when I was there to travel around instead of working.
    As to your upgrading issue not sure how much it would cost you. It will improve the ride IMHO. But I will say that when I was in Japan I couldn't believe how expensive bikes and specially parts were in the Homeland of Shimano.
    Can you or are you doing it locally?????? Or are you having it done outside of Korea ???

(Don't you have a Turner also??????) or am I wrong because I have seen you posting on the Turner site........and is this why you want to join the red "Poufta Club".........LOL

Cheers,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo
    Seeing the photo's and when you said that your still in the rainy season just reminded me of my time in Japan. Thanks for that................I just loved Japan but I wish I'd had more time when I was there to travel around instead of working.
    As to your upgrading issue not sure how much it would cost you. It will improve the ride IMHO. But I will say that when I was in Japan I couldn't believe how expensive bikes and specially parts were in the Homeland of Shimano.
    Can you or are you doing it locally?????? Or are you having it done outside of Korea ???

(Don't you have a Turner also??????) or am I wrong because I have seen you posting on the Turner site........and is this why you want to join the red "Poufta Club".........LOL

Cheers,

Kevin
    Riding in Korea is pretty good but I don't know how it compares to Japan. I may just have to get a job there in the future in order to check it out .

Most bikes and bike parts in Korea are quite a bit more expensive than places like Canada or the States, but you can pick up some stuff quite cheaply amd they hardly ever charge for fixing bikes. Generally Shimano stuff is actually cheaper here than in America.

Yes, my other bike is a big red shiny Turner 5 Spot. The two bikes get about an equal amount of use, and I actually prefer the Kona on some of the really twisty but relatively smooth xc singletrack we have here.

Maybe it's a dumb philosophy, but my main reason for still hesitating about putting a suspension fork and front disc brake on the Kona is I want to maintain a big difference between the bikes. That makes it easier to decide on which bike to ride from day to day.

Cheers,

Duncan