Thread: To Joe - Kona

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

To Joe - Kona

I asked the question on wheel-forum but was advised to try here and ask Joe. So it is: I own a Stinky 2004 with JrT front and want to change the rear wheel to a 24` wheel with a fat tire. I guess the biggest one I can put for 26` is 2.7 but even 2.5 NBX leaves little clearance now. What do U think of this idea? Won`t this change geometry too much? Has anybody tried it already? I`ll be grateful for any reasonable ideas. I`m going to put a 3.0 rear tire. How about stays then? Will the frame be fine with changed geometry? I already have Jr.T (170mm instead of 150).
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I tried an Intense Intruder 2.5 on my 2004 Coiler and found that the chain rubbed on the tyre when in the lower gears, you may be ok with just having a double chainset though.

mtbr member
    Andy,
    Yeah, a 24" wheel is going to change the geometry. A good number of people have done it and been happy with it, so i see no problems there.
    I can't really say how big a tire you can fit, different companies all measure their tires differently. 3.0" may be a strech, but i've seen some pretty fat 24's out there so you should ahve a good range of choices. Ask around on here, and check with your local dealer. They'll probably let you fit a couple to see if they work before buying them.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Andy,
    Yeah, a 24" wheel is going to change the geometry. A good number of people have done it and been happy with it, so i see no problems there.
    I can't really say how big a tire you can fit, different companies all measure their tires differently. 3.0" may be a strech, but i've seen some pretty fat 24's out there so you should ahve a good range of choices. Ask around on here, and check with your local dealer. They'll probably let you fit a couple to see if they work before buying them.
    Thanks,
    Joe.
    Thanks for reply. I`m going to put a 3.0 Nokian Gazza plus Double Wide. I want to build a strong wheel that`s why I decided on these stuff. I hope it`ll be fine.
    cheers
    Andy