mtbr member
    Feb 2004

How about if KONA breaks the mold and try's?

Making for 09 or 2010 a 5 or 7 sp internal gear bike that is lightweight and not too expensive? Am I wrong to think way back when KONA tired to be different than others in a certain way. If so why not do something else take a big risk and see what happens. Of course I am not president of this company but would try to make one. Also lets not forget what is happening to our economy so maybe they will never do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Thats right.

I'd buy one. Felt bikes makes a bike like you mentioned called the X:City that is pretty cool, but I'm still waiting for Kona to come out with one. I'd like to see it be made out of the Deda tubing also. Me likey.

mtbr member
    The Magic Link in 2008 wasn't risky enough for ya?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess my pt is make a fun bike, they did make the hummnnum (or whatever it was called for a few yrs.) . Then stop selling it. They had the stars and stripe paint job bike in mid 90's which was a cool looking paint job and got rid of that. So go back again and make something in a limited edition that is like a crusier but not a tank. See if it sells. Instead of trying to bring to market the most tech loaded bike and maybe have tech bike geeks laugh at it and go with the main brand companies.

mtbr member
    Ahhhh, I understand now. Although an internal geared mtn bike would interest me more than their Magic Link, but whatever.

I see your point. Making a fun cruiser would kind of fit in with their m.o. As mentioned above, Felt has made some cool looking cruisers, Kona would seem like the company that would be able to make somthing like that as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona seems like a good company to chop the price on the stuff Spot is doing with the belt drive. There's a great idea. Belt drive, internal gearing on a Kona hard tail. Talk about a potentially bombproof (hub notwithstanding) bike. I'd line up for that in a heartbeat.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Members who have read this thread: 0