Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455 LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,400 of 5411
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My somewhat upgraded 2018 AL... my guide RS, saint shifter and slx rear mech ain't on the pic either

Skickat frŚn min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnteXTC; 12-09-2018 at 12:32 AM.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteXTC View Post
    My somewhat upgraded 2018 AL... my guide RS, saint shifter and slx rear mech ain't on the pic either AL

Nice.

What do you have going on below your bottle cage?

mtbr member
    You guys with STs, any need to apply frame saver or other rust protectant before I build up?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    You guys with STs, any need to apply frame saver or other rust protectant before I build up?
    I didnít intend to do that to mine, but I will be interested in any responses you get. What are some details of your build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Nice.

What do you have going on below your bottle cage?
    https://www.76projects.com/shop/thepiggy

mtbr member
    I have had two frames so far and did not apply an anti-rust treatment to either. They have held up well with only minor surface rust at the wields that can be wiped off. I think you'll be fine. The Honzo is a stout frame.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I have had two frames so far and did not apply an anti-rust treatment to either. They have held up well with only minor surface rust at the wields that can be wiped off. I think you'll be fine. The Honzo is a stout frame.
    It's not the outside that needs to be treated.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Wanna ride bikes?
    If you live anywhere other than a dry climate you should treat the inside of the frame IMO. It costs only a few dollars and takes 15 minutes.

Rust doesn't "wipe off" either.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Wow. Yet another gopher hole I just went down.

Frame saver...

In prior threads, some have said it is not necessary and a super messy process.

Is there any objective basis that this should be applied? My frame was stripped but then rebuilt. I really do not want to tear everything off again if there is no real reason to.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. And thanks superbird for raising this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    It's not the outside that needs to be treated.
    Yes, I know. I'll live with the potential of my Honzo rusting away, but it is still clean on the inside of of the seat tube, head tube and bottom bracket after 3 years. Most people do not keep frames long enough to worry about rust eating their frame away. I'll probably keep mine until I break it or get a custom 27.5 made.

Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    If you live anywhere other than a dry climate you should treat the inside of the frame IMO. It costs only a few dollars and takes 15 minutes.

Rust doesn't "wipe off" either.
    I do live in CA so the weather is usually cooperative. And rust that forms on the welds where the paint or coating is thin or rough wipes off easy with a paper towel and some oil...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Does anyone with a CR DL have a 130mm fork? I have the frame and all the parts to build up my Honzo CR DL but I'm having second thoughts about the fork. I bought a 130mm pike that was originally going on my Evil Following MB but I've since decided to part it out. So the plan was to use it on my Honzo but I worried the extra 10mm might take away some of the "sharpness" of the Honzo's handling. It would be a little bit of a PITA but I was thinking about selling the 130mm pike to find a 120mm instead. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    Does anyone with a CR DL have a 130mm fork? I have the frame and all the parts to build up my Honzo CR DL but I'm having second thoughts about the fork. I bought a 130mm pike that was originally going on my Evil Following MB but I've since decided to part it out. So the plan was to use it on my Honzo but I worried the extra 10mm might take away some of the "sharpness" of the Honzo's handling. It would be a little bit of a PITA but I was thinking about selling the 130mm pike to find a 120mm instead. Thoughts?
    I bumped my Pike up to 140mm on my CR DL and have been really happy with it for everything from XC racing to Enduro. Found downhills much more comfortable with little impact to climbing/cornering. Also, you can just swap air springs to downsize to 120mm, no need to change forks.

mtbr member
    A 130mm fork works great. It won't disturb the handling at all. And as FJrunr said, you can decrease the travel to 120mm with a ~ $40 air spring shaft.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I do live in CA so the weather is usually cooperative. And rust that forms on the welds where the paint or coating is thin or rough wipes off easy with a paper towel and some oil...
    I'm not interested in re-hashing a subject that's been beaten to death, or derailing the thread so this is the last I'll say about it. Once the rust starts it will never go away unless chemically treated or sand blasted and repainted. Wiping it certainly won't do it. Treating the frame from the start is the best way. I'm out.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    A 130mm fork works great. It won't disturb the handling at all. And as FJrunr said, you can decrease the travel to 120mm with a ~ $40 air spring shaft.
    Yea, I think I'll just ride it that way at first. Most of my bikes are "overforked" but I want the Honzo to be more of a XC bike so I was thinking about keeping the geometry stock.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I'm not interested in re-hashing a subject that's been beaten to death, or derailing the thread so this is the last I'll say about it. Once the rust starts it will never go away unless chemically treated or sand blasted and repainted. Wiping it certainly won't do it. Treating the frame from the start is the best way. I'm out.
    I missed the earlier debates. That said, better safe than sorry. I'm down.

I just realized...I better do the rust treatment thing to my Kona Paddy Wagon as well. Not having owed many steel frames in my life, this is a new concept to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    A 130mm fork works great. It won't disturb the handling at all. .
    This X2

I set my old honzo into a bike park mode by installing a 130mm air shaft, bigger rotors and DH tires. I can say there was no noticeable difference in handling as it was just as nimble to when it was running a 120mm shaft. It also raised the BB a little which was nice considering it was under 12". To do again, id probably go 1.5-2.0* headset instead of the 1.0 i was running.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180927_163042821.jpg
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 12-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi,
    is there anybody that have experience with an Honzo CR with 100m fork?I am looking for more a XC racing oriented solution.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlobNZ View Post
    Hi,
    is there anybody that have experience with an Honzo CR with 100m fork?I am looking for more a XC racing oriented solution.
    Cheers
    No experience running 100mm fork on a honzo but would imagine that it'd put the BB even lower than it already is. Try it with the 120mm first as i'd bet youll be happy with that, and most XC bikes are going a little longer in travel anyway.

Dont forget the HTA steepens and BB height drops when you sag the fork to 25-30%
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    I know this was partly discussed in September - but I'm building a Honzo CR, and looking at a 130-140mm fork. I'm curious about offsets... Has anyone run a 41?

I've read that the shorter offset will shorten wheelbase a bit and typically requires a long TT, which this bike has in spades...
    Kona Honzo CR Radtail | Niner RLT IMBA Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    I know this was partly discussed in September - but I'm building a Honzo CR, and looking at a 130-140mm fork. I'm curious about offsets... Has anyone run a 41?

I've read that the shorter offset will shorten wheelbase a bit and typically requires a long TT, which this bike has in spades...
    It also requires a slack head angle which the Honzo doesn't really have. Pushing the fork to 140 will help, but unless you run a works headset or similar, a standard 46-51 offset fork will most likely provide the best handling compromises. I ran my Honzo at 140 with a 46 offset and I prefered it over a 51. Now I am planning to rebuild it with a works -2į headset and use a 42mm offset crown on a 552mm a2c fork.

mtbr member
    It also requires a slack head angle which the Honzo doesn't really have. Pushing the fork to 140 will help, but unless you run a works headset or similar, a standard 46-51 offset fork will most likely provide the best handling compromises. I ran my Honzo at 140 with a 46 offset and I prefered it over a 51. Now I am planning to rebuild it with a works -2į headset and use a 42mm offset crown on a 552mm a2c fork.
    Super helpful, thanks. So, it sounds like with a 140mm fork and stock headset, you prefered 46 over 51, but think 41 would be too little/too snappy?

mtbr member
    I've run as short as a 37mm offset on the honzo with a stock headset. It felt responsive but not twitchy.

Best combination so far has been 130mm with a 2* and 40mm. Don't go shorter CSU without slacking the headset.

My current rig (HEI HEI 29) has a 2* with a 40mm offset and 120mm fork. Feels perfect for that bike.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Thanks! CSU = Crown/Steerer/Upper yes? Is this the same as offset?

To just come out with it, what would the Honzo'ans recommend:

Stock Headset, Honzo CR

1. 140mm 51mm offset (MRP)
    2. 140mm 41mm offset (Fox)

mtbr member
    Thanks! CSU = Crown/Steerer/Upper yes? Is this the same as offset?

To just come out with it, what would the Honzo'ans recommend:

Stock Headset, Honzo CR

1. 140mm 51mm offset (MRP)
    2. 140mm 41mm offset (Fox)
    Id run the shorter offset as it's much easier/cheaper to change a headset or reduce travel than to swap a CSU.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Wow. Yet another gopher hole I just went down.

Frame saver...
    Yeah...didnít mean to start a potential war, just wanted some opinions on the Honzo frame in general. I agree, itís a preventative and a good idea. Is it necessary? I feel YMMV based upon many factors. Itís like buying the insurance for that fancy TV you just bought at Best Buy - do you need it? It depends, but sure nice to have the piece of mind.

That being said, itís interesting that frame saver is not the easiest thing to find! None of my LBS had it and had to find on Jensen. Just waiting for it to arrive and start the build process!

2018 Large Honzo ST - swapping components off my 2017 Med Al Big Honzo and building up as 27.5+. New BB and dropper, and -1* works headset, but everything else is coming right over.

For anyone interested, my Large ST frame cam in at 7.25lbs in contrast to my Med Al frame which came in at 5lbs even - and thatís with the headset and BB still installed - quite a difference. ST is just a beautiful frame though, but weight weenies need not apply.

Also - hereís how the 20th anniv badge looks on the front of a current ST - not the best, but not bad either. Still debating whether to keep on there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-ef87494f-239a-4e8c-999c-ccbb277518f5.jpeg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-8456546b-74e7-4599-a4e3-6638b3ffb55e.jpeg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-f0c22460-7fdc-4a7c-85df-8c9587c27ce8.jpeg  

Last edited by superbird; 12-14-2018 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr super member
    I just picked up a 2018 Big Honzo DL frame. Would someone mind confirming that I need a zs44/zs56 headset? Iím having a hard time finding this info online for this particular year.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffard View Post
    I just picked up a 2018 Big Honzo DL frame. Would someone mind confirming that I need a zs44/zs56 headset? Iím having a hard time finding this info online for this particular year.
    Thatís correct.

Hereís my current Big Honzo setup:

mtbr super member
    Thank you sennaster! I got the same frame color and canít wait to build it up!

mtbr member

'18 Honzo CR Trail Build

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_12c7.jpg

Looking forward to the sum of the parts...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_12c7.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	349.7 KB 
ID:	1229045

Looking forward to the sum of the parts...
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I built a 2017 ST, medium frame, 27.5+. Here are the specs:
    Fox 34 Performance Fork 140mm
    Sram Guide RS Carbon Brakes
    Kona Stem and Bar
    Kona Saddle
    Integra Dropper Post
    Novatec Hubs with WTB i29 Rims
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8's

In this config the bike rips, the 140mm is great, but I am considering upgrading to a 36 with maybe 150 or 160mm of travel. I also have a new wheelset, DT Swiss 370 Hubs with AR40 rims and Maxxis Chronicle 3.0 tires. We will see if the 3.0's fit in the rear. I hope to have some good photos in the next week or so. It has been built for several months and I have logged some good time, but it is up in the workshop now during the cold months so I can tinker.

-Andrew

mtbr member
    Got The Great Milenkzo all built up. First ride report: Rad AF. Super stoked about this build. Haven't ridden a hardtail in a decade, I'm a believer.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7150.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7148.jpg

Build:
    2018 Honzo CR Trail Radtail (L)
    Fox 36 Performance Elite, 140mm, 51mm offset
    KS Lev Integra Dropper, 150mm
    Ibis 935 Carbon hoops, i9 hubs
    Bontrager XR4 2.4" R / XR4 2.6" F
    GX Eagle Rear Derailleur, Shifter, Chain
    Race Face Next R Cranks, 32t, 170mm
    XTR Race Levers/Trail Calipers
    XT Icetech rotors, 160mm R / 180mm F
    RaceFace Next Handlebar, 760mm
    Kona 40mm Stem
    Cane Creek 40 Integrated Headset
    ESI Chunky Grips
    XT Trail Pedals
    24.3 lbs
    Last edited by VooDooBokor; 12-17-2018 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks good man!

Suprised on the weight, thats really light for a 36 and 150mm dropper.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Looks good man!

Suprised on the weight, thats really light for a 36 and 150mm dropper.
    Ya, I was pleasantly surprised too. I was actually looking to trade the 36 for a Pike or Ribbon to shave 1/4-1/2 lb., but the weight actually feels fairly balanced and the 36 PERFORMS.

mtbr member
    My AL large was 27 with trail tires and close to 28 with DH rubber.

Staying under 25 lbs is nothing to complain about with those parts. Nicely done
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Got The Great Milenkzo all built up. First ride report: Rad AF. Super stoked about this build. Haven't ridden a hardtail in a decade, I'm a believer.

Name:	IMG_7150.jpg 
Views:	593 
Size:	570.5 KB 
ID:	1229394

Name:	IMG_7148.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	1229393

Build:
    2018 Honzo CR Trail Radtail (L)
    Fox 36 Performance Elite, 140mm, 51mm offset
    KS Lev Integra Dropper, 150mm
    Ibis 935 Carbon hoops, i9 hubs
    Bontrager XR4 2.4" R / XR4 2.6" F
    GX Eagle Rear Derailleur, Shifter, Chain
    Race Face Next R Cranks, 32t, 170mm
    XTR Race Levers/Trail Calipers
    XT Icetech rotors, 160mm R / 180mm F
    RaceFace Next Handlebar, 760mm
    Kona 40mm Stem
    Cane Creek 40 Integrated Headset
    ESI Chunky Grips
    XT Trail Pedals
    24.3 lbs
    Incredible.

I am shooting for not too much north of 30 with my build. And I think I am going to fail miserably. LMAO.

I actually don't think I am going to weigh it when I am done.

Your bike turned out amazing. Congrats.

Probably a dumb question, but where does "the Great Milenkzo" come from? I think I got the "zo" part covered, but not sure about the rest...

mtbr member
    Probably a dumb question, but where does "the Great Milenkzo" come from? I think I got the "zo" part covered, but not sure about the rest...
    Thanks! Not a dumb question, I'm glad you asked.

I grew up my entire life assuming ICP (Insane Clown Posse) was the biggest pile of dog shit band on the planet. Than I took a MTB trip with the boys to Moab this fall and some guys were playing some shit, and I was like "this is awesome, who is this?"... "This is ICP". My mind was blown.

The Great Milenko (album released in 1997) is the fourth joker card and is a necromancer and illusionist who tries to trick individuals into acts of greed, envy, and lust... kind of like my Honzo.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thanks! Not a dumb question, I'm glad you asked.

I grew up my entire life assuming ICP (Insane Clown Posse) was the biggest pile of dog shit band on the planet. Than I took a MTB trip with the boys to Moab this fall and some guys were playing some shit, and I was like "this is awesome, who is this?"... "This is ICP". My mind was blown.

The Great Milenko (album released in 1997) is the fourth joker card and is a necromancer and illusionist who tries to trick individuals into acts of greed, envy, and lust... kind of like my Honzo.
    And here I was trying to string component names together...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Bead blasted the TI Honzo

I'm not a fan of logos, decals or branding of any kind...on anything. The one thing I never liked about my Ti Honzo was the paint and branding. So I dropped the Honzo frame off at a local powder coater and had them bead blast the clear coat and paint. As far as I'm concerned it should be a crime to paint Ti.

Thinking about taking a Scotchbrite pad to the frame to smooth it out, but I'm digging the raw Ti finish. The only drawback is the rough texture is a magnet for dirt and fingerprints, but I might ride it for a while as is. Anyways, if anyone was interested it only cost $40 and in my opinion looks far better.Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_3372-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I'm not a fan of logos, decals or branding of any kind...on anything. The one thing I never liked about my Ti Honzo was the paint and branding. So I dropped the Honzo frame off at a local powder coater and had them bead blast the clear coat and paint. As far as I'm concerned it should be a crime to paint Ti.

Thinking about taking a Scotchbrite pad to the frame to smooth it out, but I'm digging the raw Ti finish. The only drawback is the rough texture is a magnet for dirt and fingerprints, but I might ride it for a while as is. Anyways, if anyone was interested it only cost $40 and in my opinion looks far better.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3372 (1).jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	252.9 KB 
ID:	1229608
    Awesome! How are you gonna rebuild it? As before, or any updates?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Awesome! How are you gonna rebuild it? As before, or any updates?
    Almost same as before. It's set up single speed with an XO crank, XT brakes, Roval carbon wheelset, Race Face carbon bar and 40mm Easton stem. I've been running a Fox 34 130, but I've got a Fox 36 160 I'm gonna slap on just for grins to see how it feels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just stopped into my buddies shop and he has a M limited edition chrome Honzo ST full build for sale... I thought one of you may be interested! I think the sticker was $2,300. Pm me if you'd like to get into contact with him.
    ~BigBMX
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. ~Benjamin Franklin

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBMX View Post
    Just stopped into my buddies shop and he has a M limited edition chrome Honzo ST full build for sale... I thought one of you may be interested! I think the sticker was $2,300. Pm me if you'd like to get into contact with him.
    ~BigBMX
    Similarly, there is an XL on the floor of the LBS I deal with.

mtbr member
    Almost same as before. It's set up single speed with an XO crank, XT brakes, Roval carbon wheelset, Race Face carbon bar and 40mm Easton stem. I've been running a Fox 34 130, but I've got a Fox 36 160 I'm gonna slap on just for grins to see how it feels.
    Sounds sweet! ST version of my build almost. My 36 came with 160mm travel, but threw a 140mm spring in for $40. Pretty shhhhhweeeeet.

mtbr member
    Is there any objective basis that this should be applied? My frame was stripped but then rebuilt. I really do not want to tear everything off again if there is no real reason to.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. And thanks superbird for raising this.
    I rode a Surly Pugsley fatbike through several CDN winters with accompanying salt on the roads/pavement during urban assault missions. It also camped with me on the beach in Baja for months at a time.

After 3-4 years I stripped it down to re-powdercoat it. Zero issues with internal rust and some surface rust that easily sanded off. I could have avoided the external rust if I had just washed it down once in a while. I pretty much treated that frame like crap.

I have bought a few steel frames since. I rustproofed one and didn't bother with the other. No difference despite living in the PNWet. I don't plan on rustproofing my next steel frame.

I would make sure you have a hole at the bottom of your BB shell so water doesn't build up there. If you are feeling a little concern just spray frame saver down the seattube as that's where most of the water will come into your frame. I use a Mudhugger fender on the bikes I ride in the winter to keep crap off me and it protects the dropper and prevents most of the water from reaching the top of the seattube.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I just bought a 2015 Kona HonzoST and I am trying to figure out if Azonic Outlaw 29er wheel set will fit on the rer with the axel adapter. I think my wife bought me a set from Camria and I hope I can use them on the 12x142 QR rear axel.
    Also I hear there is some tire clearance issues on these frames, before I purchase tires does anyone have any suggestions on max width tire size for the rear tire and what brand.

Thanks

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8236.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowch01 View Post
    I just bought a 2015 Kona HonzoST and I am trying to figure out if Azonic Outlaw 29er wheel set will fit on the rer with the axel adapter. I think my wife bought me a set from Camria and I hope I can use them on the 12x142 QR rear axel.
    Also I hear there is some tire clearance issues on these frames, before I purchase tires does anyone have any suggestions on max width tire size for the rear tire and what brand.

Thanks
    That is either a 2016 and the last year of the 142x12 dropouts or 2017 and first year of boost 148x12. I have fit 27.5 2.6s in my 2016, other have fit 27.5 2.8s, 29 2.5s/2.6s. The rear axle will confirm what year it is or your invoice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Ok thanks. Iím the second owner I was told it was a 12x142 and yea itís a 2016 frame.

mtbr member
    Anyone looking to sell their 20" regular 25" ett 2012-2014 frame?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Ti Honzo V 2.0

Bead blasted the frame, scrubbed it down with a red Scotchbrite pad and let it soak in Pledge for a few hours. Now THAT us how titanium is supposed to look.

Large Ti Honzo set up single speed
    Fox 36 160 with Fit4 damper
    Carbon Roval wheelset - 30mm inner width
    DHF front/Grid Purgatory rear
    Command dropper post
    XO cranks
    XT pedals
    Easton 40mm stem
    Raceface carbon bar at 760mm wide
    Chris King headset
    XT brakes
    NorthShore grips
    Absolute Black chainring (32/20 gearing)

Now the hard part. Tucking it away till next summer while I recover from back surgery. And so I won't be tempted to ride I'm not putting on a chain till I'm ready.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo1.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo2.jpg

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Bead blasted the frame, scrubbed it down with a red Scotchbrite pad and let it soak in Pledge for a few hours. Now THAT us how titanium is supposed to look.

Large Ti Honzo set up single speed
    Fox 36 160 with Fit4 damper
    Carbon Roval wheelset - 30mm inner width
    DHF front/Grid Purgatory rear
    Command dropper post
    XO cranks
    XT pedals
    Easton 40mm stem
    Raceface carbon bar at 760mm wide
    Chris King headset
    XT brakes
    NorthShore grips
    Absolute Black chainring (32/20 gearing)

Now the hard part. Tucking it away till next summer while I recover from back surgery. And so I won't be tempted to ride I'm not putting on a chain till I'm ready.

Name:	honzo1.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	518.1 KB 
ID:	1230283

Name:	honzo2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	483.4 KB 
ID:	1230284
    Beautiful. GREAT job!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Mine is coming along, but still not quite done...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_92.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_90.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Beautiful. GREAT job!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    +1
    looks amazing i.a.n., well done. good luck with your recovery!
    care to post a pic from your driveside?
    i have the same gearing for my 27+ setup.
    are you running an oval front ring? or round? drew major from nsmb is a strong advocate of oval rings for SS. I followed his guidance on my 2013 ST (34 oval + 21 rear) and am very intrigued.

mtbr member
    looking good mike, those rims turned our real nice! so do you have a final decision on tire choice?

mtbr member

Name:	fullsizeoutput_92.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	1230288

Name:	fullsizeoutput_90.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	1230287
    Hell yeah son!
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    +1
    looks amazing i.a.n., well done. good luck with your recovery!
    care to post a pic from your driveside?
    i have the same gearing for my 27+ setup.
    are you running an oval front ring? or round? drew major from nsmb is a strong advocate of oval rings for SS. I followed his guidance on my 2013 ST (34 oval + 21 rear) and am very intrigued.
    Thanks, dude! I already put the bike away and buried it under a mountain of blankets in my bike shed. It hurt to look at it and not be able to ride, so I had to get it out of my sight until next summer when I'm hoping to be able to mash again. It's a round chainring. I've heard of ss riders going oval, but had never really considered it myself. I would think the moments of 'slackness' in the chain would feel strange while standing and mashing. But I'd be curious to know how it works from those who've tried.

mtbr member
    Thanks, dude! I already put the bike away and buried it under a mountain of blankets in my bike shed. It hurt to look at it and not be able to ride, so I had to get it out of my sight until next summer when I'm hoping to be able to mash again. It's a round chainring. I've heard of ss riders going oval, but had never really considered it myself. I would think the moments of 'slackness' in the chain would feel strange while standing and mashing. But I'd be curious to know how it works from those who've tried.
    What's up with your back? Issues with the discs? I got similar stuff, luckily not (yet) bad enough to warrant surgery. But those ailments are nasty. Good luck and strong healing vibes. I understand that you had to put the rig out of sight.
    I really like the oval ring on both single speed and geared. It does not feel awkward after the initial getting-used-to phase. And the pedalling efficiency is very noticeable when riding ss, in my opinion. The chain wear might be worse, but I have abe not had to change mine yet, so no experience there.
    All the best and happy holidays!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What's up with your back? Issues with the discs? I got similar stuff, luckily not (yet) bad enough to warrant surgery. But those ailments are nasty. Good luck and strong healing vibes. I understand that you had to put the rig out of sight.
    I really like the oval ring on both single speed and geared. It does not feel awkward after the initial getting-used-to phase. And the pedalling efficiency is very noticeable when riding ss, in my opinion. The chain wear might be worse, but I have abe not had to change mine yet, so no experience there.
    All the best and happy holidays!
    Iíve got an artificial disc at L4/L5 from a previous surgery. This last surgery was to fix some nerve issues. Yay back problems!

When I get back to riding I just might have to give an oval ring a shot. Thanks. Happy holidays to you as well.

mtbr member
    Iíve got an artificial disc at L4/L5 from a previous surgery. This last surgery was to fix some nerve issues. Yay back problems!

When I get back to riding I just might have to give an oval ring a shot. Thanks. Happy holidays to you as well.
    Ugh that sounds serious. Good luck and fast recovery!
    Here's the article I was referring to.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/flat-pedal-facts/
    Actually drew major adds another piece to the equation, which I forgot: flat pedals. He more or less says: if you ride flat pedals and geared, oval is good to have. If flat pedals and single speed, it's a must have. When using clips he writes that he does not feel such a big difference, but still has a preference for oval.
    I ride flats as well. I've no experience with clips and oval.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    looking good mike, those rims turned our real nice! so do you have a final decision on tire choice?
    Thanks Rynee. The decals are being re-done darker to better match the Fox orange.

I went with a 2.5 DHF 3C EXO front, and a 2.5 Aggressor DC EXO rear. As soon as the Assguy Trails become available, I will probably grab a set for front and rear.

Hell yeah son!
    Season's Greetings Marcus. All the best to you and yours. I have not forgotten about the early 2019 Texas bike trip. I will keep you in the loop on that...

Actually drew major adds another piece to the equation, which I forgot: flat pedals. He more or less says: if you ride flat pedals and geared, oval is good to have. If flat pedals and single speed, it's a must have. When using clips he writes that he does not feel such a big difference, but still has a preference for oval.
    I went with the new RaceFace oval ring on my Honzo. First time trying oval. I will be alternating between that bike and my Sight, which has a traditional non-oval ring. I understand that the ovals are easy and quick to get used to...unless you are alternating with a non-oval ring bike. LMAO. Whatever. Should be interesting, if nothing else.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rynee. The decals are being re-done darker to better match the Fox orange.

I went with a 2.5 DHF 3C EXO front, and a 2.5 Aggressor DC EXO rear. As soon as the Assguy Trails become available, I will probably grab a set for front and rear.

...unless you are alternating with a non-oval ring bike. LMAO. Whatever. Should be interesting, if nothing else.
    I'm very much looking forward to the final build pics! Tire choice sounds very good.

Regarding alternating: I ride a non-oval single speed commuter every weekday, and oval rings on my mtbs. I don't feel any difference or awkwardness... But maybe that's because the bikes and use cases are worlds apart. Looking forward to your experiences. Mine were great with oval rings:much more traction on steep and loose climbs, and a lot less fatigue at the end of long rides (in particular multi day trips with more than 7 hrs in the saddle, 40+ km distances and 1500+ altitude meters per day). The longer the ride, the more pronounced I experienced the advantages. And that was on the 2013 st honzo.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I'm very much looking forward to the final build pics! Tire choice sounds very good.

Regarding alternating: I ride a non-oval single speed commuter every weekday, and oval rings on my mtbs. I don't feel any difference or awkwardness... But maybe that's because the bikes and use cases are worlds apart. Looking forward to your experiences. Mine were great with oval rings:much more traction on steep and loose climbs, and a lot less fatigue at the end of long rides (in particular multi day trips with more than 7 hrs in the saddle, 40+ km distances and 1500+ altitude meters per day). The longer the ride, the more pronounced I experienced the advantages. And that was on the 2013 st honzo.
    Wow. That is exciting!

I did the oval ring thing because RaceFace had just come out with them when I did a parts order, and because this bike is being built a little differently in some respects from my other bikes. A test bike in some senses.

I am so stoked to get this bike finished. But I think my patience is paying off. Besides, there is no rush. It won't be until March, and maybe later, that this bike will see any dirt. That said, this is one of the mildest winters I have seen in the past 10 years. Commuting has been a walk in the park. Maybe there will be some decent biking in February.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Youíre riding flats on your ss as well? Iíd be curious to try just for grins. Lots of steep punchy climbs where I live so I pull up on the pedal while also pushing down on steep climbs, so I definitely need to be clipped in. My geared bike is a Spesh Enduro 29. I ride that clipped in as well. Once Iím back in the saddle Iíll have to experiment.

mtbr member
    That said, this is one of the mildest winters I have seen in the past 10 years.
    yeah we're in for yet another green christmas i guess my kids won't believe me when I tell them that we used to actually have snow at christmas time.

experimental bike sounds good ... the honzo somehow invites one to do this. it's been my first for many things... 29er, one-by, oval, 27+, dropper posts. i love that bike

mtbr member
    Youíre riding flats on your ss as well? Iíd be curious to try just for grins. Lots of steep punchy climbs where I live so I pull up on the pedal while also pushing down on steep climbs, so I definitely need to be clipped in. My geared bike is a Spesh Enduro 29. I ride that clipped in as well. Once Iím back in the saddle Iíll have to experiment.
    yes, since i bought my first pair of 5-10s i switched to flats on all my bikes apart from the roadie. you definitely raise a good point with the pulling part of the stroke, but i guess i've gotten used to doing that with flats as well. and that is precisely where drew major also sees the biggest impact of the oval ring, if i understood correctly.
    give it a try - and some time to adjust. pedal wise i'm using race face atlas, shimano saints, one up composites. i have a slight preference to the atlas and one ups, but that is very personal.

mtbr super member
    Got my new big honzo built up. Itís my winter bike that supplements my full suspension bike. Took it for its maiden voyage and it was awesome. I immediately noticed how well it climbs. Canít wait to take it out some more!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1bfea529-753e-4b76-8038-ca5e9f8d79f7.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-a5e19c98-5c7b-423a-a33d-294b3d21bf44.jpg

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Hell yeah son!
    Got my new big honzo built up. Itís my winter bike that supplements my full suspension bike. Took it for its maiden voyage and it was awesome. I immediately noticed how well it climbs. Canít wait to take it out some more!

Name:	1BFEA529-753E-4B76-8038-CA5E9F8D79F7.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	1230492

Name:	A5E19C98-5C7B-423A-A33D-294B3D21BF44.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	1230495
    I missed this post. That looks incredible. Totally sick. Great job building it. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but maybe list the component spec when you have a moment.

For once, the yellow Maxxis branding ties in with the frame...

Super stoked to hear about the climbing as well. I am a little nervous about mine. Apart from my dedicated winter commuter bike - a rigid Kona Fire Mountain I bought back in 2008 - I have not owned a hardtail in decades. I am worried about the jarring, and about the climbing. I have always found it much easier to climb in the gnar with an active suspension. Locking it out, or even putting it in "trail mode" has never worked well for me. The rear tire has always ended up skipping and skidding and not tracking the terrain very well. I am so hoping my Honzo climbs okay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-5e71e9f0-458c-43e7-8045-71e0a3fca373.jpg

Sheís getting there !!!

mtbr super member
    I missed this post. That looks incredible. Totally sick. Great job building it. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but maybe list the component spec when you have a moment.
    Thanks man! Hereís a quick breakdown(all parts are 2018):

Fork: 140mm Lyrik
    Wheels: DT Swiss E1900
    Tires: DHR2 Front/Rear
    Cranks: 170mm RaceFace Aeffect
    Cassette: ethirteen TRS+ 9-46
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Seatpost: ethirteen TRS+ 150mm
    Brakes: Shimano SLX w/ 200mm rotor front & 180mm out back
    Handlebar: RaceFace Turbine 780mm
    Stem: RaceFace Turbine 50mm

That about sums it up for the most part. Iíve taken it out a few more times and itís such a fun bike!

As for your concerns around climbing and a jarring ride I can say that it climbs very well. But it is a hardtail and on bumpy trails youíll notice there isnít a rear shock! But you adapt as a rider and learn to flow with the trail as best you can. For me the Honzo will be used on more mellow trails and winter rides that arenít very fast because of the snow. Iíll still grab my 2018 YT Jeffsy 27 if I know Iíll be riding more gnarly trails.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-a863fc03-887f-478b-91fd-017a7478c54e.jpeg
    Last edited by Biffard; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:37 AM.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    ...It plays backup to my 2018 YT Jeffsy 27...]
    With time, that prioritization may change...I'm hoping it does for me!

Awesome component choices.

mtbr super member
    With time, that prioritization may change...I'm hoping it does for me!

Awesome component choices.
    Haha, I could definitely see my Big Honzo getting equal riding time as my Jeffsy in the summer!

One more pic then Iím done spamming this thread!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-0c8e1a63-e84b-4ad7-bb3b-d17943d321ad.jpeg

loud hubs save lives

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Keep posting. I love the army green.

My Big Honzo build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Putting the finishing touches on my 2019 Honzo ST frame-up build to complement my Process 165.

The final two pieces are the fork and stem.

Whatís everyoneís feeling on the perfect fork offset and stem length for a 130mm fork with a standard headset?

mtbr member
    Can I run the CC style 142x12 dropouts in the 2017 Honzo ST frame to reuse my old wheel set?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi all, I'm new to the thread and here is my new Honzo ST. I wasn't a fan of the new green colour so I tracked down a 2018 purple. The build escalated a bit when my friend offered me his fox 36s that he scratched for a good price, otherwise the build is a mix of old and new parts.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181222_130657.jpg

Kona Honzo ST 2018 Large
    Fox 36 grip2 140mm 44mm offset
    Shimano XTR drivetrain/XT brakes
    RF turbine cranks
    Oneup 170mm dropper post
    Mavic 827 rims laced to hope pro4

Really enjoying being on a HT so far, my local trails are a notch down on the gnar factor and it makes them a lot more fun compared to the dually. Quick question - where can I get one of the port covers for the dropper post cable? My frame came with a cover there but I need one that has the hole for the cable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Can I run the CC style 142x12 dropouts in the 2017 Honzo ST frame to reuse my old wheel set?
    I think the dropouts are the same throughout the model years and the frame spacing changed so if the 2017 frame is boost it will remain boost with the CC dropouts. I changed my ti from 142 to 135 QR to run a Rohloff but i'm sure boost is boost and the wheel will have to be re-spaced.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post

Kona Honzo ST 2018 Large
    RF turbine cranks
    Oneup 170mm dropper post

Really enjoying being on a HT so far, my local trails are a notch down on the gnar factor and it makes them a lot more fun compared to the dually. Quick question - where can I get one of the port covers for the dropper post cable? My frame came with a cover there but I need one that has the hole for the cable.
    Sweet build. I have plans to do something similar this spring. Looks super fun

You can source those grommets at your LBS. Salsa makes them, I'm sure there are others too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Iím getting ready to order tires I will be running Azonic outlaw 29s and Iím questioning what size trail/AM tire will fit on the back, the bike is setup as a single speed and Iím looking at either a Maxxis Ardent or Maxxis High Roller for the rear and 99% swayed to a Minion DHF up front.
    Whatís everyone running for a rear tire width with Maxxis will a 2.50 clear on a 2016 Honzo ST rear ??

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Iím getting ready to order tires I will be running Azonic outlaw 29s and Iím questioning what size trail/AM tire will fit on the back, the bike is setup as a single speed and Iím looking at either a Maxxis Ardent or Maxxis High Roller for the rear and 99% swayed to a Minion DHF up front.
    Whatís everyone running for a rear tire width with Maxxis will a 2.50 clear on a 2016 Honzo ST rear ??
    2.5 Maxxis Aggressor EXO DC fits on my 2018
    Honzo ST (30th) with no issue. Not sure about the 2016.

I may be going to the LBS later today or tomorrow. If so, I will take pics of the clearance.

Still waiting for the 2.5 DHF to arrive (as well as new rim decals, a 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade, and a few bling parts). Should finally be done soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Awesome that would be swell if you could ! Post pics of the new bling too !!
    TY !

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Awesome that would be swell if you could ! Post pics of the new bling too !!
    TY !
    No problem. My pleasure.

That said, perhaps some of the real Honzo experts on here can chime in on any differences in clearance between the 2016 frame, and more recent ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    No problem. My pleasure.

That said, perhaps some of the real Honzo experts on here can chime in on any differences in clearance between the 2016 frame, and more recent ones.

Iím new to the Honzo science so Iím learning as I go. Iíll just keep reading all the great posts and absorb the knowledge !!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Iím new to the Honzo science so Iím learning as I go. Iíll just keep reading all the great posts and absorb the knowledge !!
    I believe RideEverything rode 2.5 DHFs front and rear on his OG Honzo ST before he cracked his frame, so there shouldnít be any issues for you. I had understood pretty much anything Maxxis up to a 2.6 will fit.

Bnerd
    I believe RideEverything rode 2.5 DHFs front and rear on his OG Honzo ST before he cracked his frame, so there shouldnít be any issues for you. I had understood pretty much anything Maxxis up to a 2.6 will fit.
    I did try out a 2.5 WT DHF on the rear of my OG Honzo but the only time it didn't rub the the CS was when going in a straight line! I had the dropouts fully pulled out to their longest as well. There's no way the 2.5 would have worked if the dropouts were all the way in.

Here's a list of all the tires I've run that worked with no issues on the rear of my 2012 Honzo over the years.
    - Ardent 2.4
    - Hans Dampf 2.3 v.1
    - Nobby Nic 2.3
    - WTB Trail Boss 2.3 v.1
    - E13 TRS+ 2.3

All those tires are large-ish volume and fit well in the frame. The stand out was the E13 tire. Good overall grip but even better grip when cornering.
    The worst one was the Ardent. If you enjoy absolutely no traction in even a hint of wet then the Ardent is your tire! lol!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I did try out a 2.5 WT DHF on the rear of my OG Honzo but the only time it didn't rub the the CS was when going in a straight line! I had the dropouts fully pulled out to their longest as well. There's no way the 2.5 would have worked if the dropouts were all the way in.

Here's a list of all the tires I've run that worked with no issues on the rear of my 2012 Honzo over the years.
    - Ardent 2.4
    - Hans Dampf 2.3 v.1
    - Nobby Nic 2.3
    - WTB Trail Boss 2.3 v.1
    - E13 TRS+ 2.3

All those tires are large-ish volume and fit well in the frame. The stand out was the E13 tire. Good overall grip but even better grip when cornering.
    The worst one was the Ardent. If you enjoy absolutely no traction in even a hint of wet then the Ardent is your tire! lol!
    Thanks for chiming in RE. I guess the question then becomes whether the spacing on the 2016 ST frame is less than the 2018/2019.

mtbr member
    Thanks for chiming in RE. I guess the question then becomes whether the spacing on the 2016 ST frame is less than the 2018/2019.
    It might be a little less due to boost starting in 2017 vs nonboost of 2015-16. However both frames have the redesigned yoke vs the 2012-14. There is not much width for tire clearance in the old design. I fit a 2.4 Ardent, but could not clear anything bigger in my 2013 frame. BIGFATUGLY has pics in here of 2.5 DHFs in a 2016 without issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    It might be a little less due to boost starting in 2017 vs nonboost of 2015-16. However both frames have the redesigned yoke vs the 2012-14. There is not much width for tire clearance in the old design. I fit a 2.4 Ardent, but could not clear anything bigger in my 2013 frame. BIGFATUGLY has pics in here of 2.5 DHFs in a 2016 without issue.
    Ok cool Iíll take a look, thanks for pitching in !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Keep posting. I love the army green.

My Big Honzo build.

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Morris View Post
    Putting the finishing touches on my 2019 Honzo ST frame-up build to complement my Process 165.

The final two pieces are the fork and stem.

Whatís everyoneís feeling on the perfect fork offset and stem length for a 130mm fork with a standard headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to the thread and here is my new Honzo ST. I wasn't a fan of the new green colour so I tracked down a 2018 purple. The build escalated a bit when my friend offered me his fox 36s that he scratched for a good price, otherwise the build is a mix of old and new parts.

Kona Honzo ST 2018 Large
    RF turbine cranks
    Oneup 170mm dropper post

Can you guys post weights and sizes by chance?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    I thought you instantly went to hell if you weighed your Honzo. Especially your steel Honzo. Is that not the case?

mtbr member
    I thought you instantly went to hell if you weighed your Honzo. Especially your steel Honzo. Is that not the case?
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wanna ride bikes?
    Why? If the geometry is right, and it's got the components you want, it weighs what it weighs.

If your looking for a rad, super fun hardtail trail bike you won't be disappointed. If your looking for an XC race weapon I suggest you look for something other than the ST.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8604%5B1%5D.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8602%5B1%5D.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8600%5B1%5D.jpg

Finally got my drive train dialed in (I think!), I bought the frame with these Race Face cranks and Race Face 32T Front Sprocket, I added The Sram 3/32 chain, Origin 8 single speed spacer kit and 20T steel rear Cog. So final drive on gears will be 32/20 or 1.60. I love the Wellgo B219 platforms, I have a set on my FS and they are great pedals for 49.99 ! Sealed bearings, Chromoly spindles, CNC Machined and hardcoated and all metal plugs etc. Not sure on weight of the pedals as I really dont care this is a All mountain trail build so whatever it is it is ........
    I would have started with Aluminum or Carbon if weight was going to be taken into consideration.

Shimano ZEE brake set is in the mail and 203mm Rotors will be orderd this week.

Just need to finalze tire selection and shell be out ripping up the trail.

May add a dropper when spare $ allows !

mtbr member
    There's one way to find out...

Why? If the geometry is right, and it's got the components you want, it weighs what it weighs.

If your looking for a rad, super fun hardtail trail bike you won't be disappointed. If your looking for an XC race weapon I suggest you look for something other than the ST.
    Because typically most weights are for smaller sizes (small or medium sized frames) so it would be helpful to know especially for an XL.

I'm just asking because I would like it to be lighter than my FS XXL bike ideally not turn this into a weight weenie debate.

I've never owned a Steel bike, so I'm curious.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Weighing bikes only leads to disappointment. You'll arrive at some arbitrary number and you'll convince yourself one way or another if it's possible to have fun on a bike that weighs XX lbs.

The steel Honzo in XL weighs 7+ lbs if you must know. It's not light, but it is awesome. Don't expect a trail oriented, $550, steel hardtail with sliding dropouts in XL to be light. It won't be. Honestly the Honzo ST makes my Surly Krampus frame look feathery light at a bit over 6 lbs. Get the picture?

Like I said, if you're concerned about weight look elsewhere.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I showed up at a group ride with my park scale. Just about everyone was disappointed. Especially the Santa Cruz owners.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I know what mine is going to weigh (only because the LBS guys seem to be obsessed with that and keep weighing it and telling me). Suffice it to say that even sporting a carbon wheel set, carbon bar and other goodies, it will still end up weighing slightly more than my 140/130 29er with Minions.

Whatever.

I used to believe that weight was a big deal. I still kinda do, but I have also learned that within reason, nice bikes do not have to be lightweight in order to ride sweet AF.

At this particular moment, I give exactly zero fks how much my Honzo ends up weighing.

Bnerd
    I've never properly weighed either of my Honzos. Both were/are XL.
    I've always ridden the biggest frame size I can get and then built them burly because even riding XC I would break stuff because of my size.

My 2012 was a tank! If I were to guess my 2012 probably came in somewhere around 17kg (37.5lbs). It was noticeably heavier than my FS bike which is somewhere around 15kg (34lbs). Although, the rear wheel on my 2012 Honzo was really heavy because it was a burly build. I had it built back when 29er wheels sucked for strength.

My 2018 Honzo is noticeably lighter frame to frame than my 2012. It also has almost the same build as my 2012. The biggest difference is the wheelset. It's a much lighter wheelset so that goes a long way to reducing the overall weight.
    Again I'm guessing but I'd say my new Honzo is somewhere in the low teens (30s). It actually feels lighter than my FS now.

Sorry I don't have actual proper weights. I'm interested in how much my bikes weigh just out of curiosity but I've never chased lower weights because anything that I've had over the years that's been learning to the weight weenie side of things have generally failed me.

loud hubs save lives
    My Big Honzo medium is 29lbs 4oz with 1100gr plus tires