Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253
Results 5,201 to 5,229 of 5229
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Thinking about picking up a fatty...at my LBS. Not in a bar. Any of you lovers of the Honzo ever think about picking up a Wozo, based on your love of the Honzo?
    FWIW, thers no way id buy a new fatbike. Too niche and the odds are it will get less than expected use. My buddy in utah wanted a wozo but could never find one, so he bought a RM blizzard and loves it, especially for the price.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...on=3&q=fatbike

Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Kona has a couple of different year Wozo frames on sale right now. Also some really good deals on a variety of other Kona frames.

https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...rames.html?p=1

Thanks ATXZJ for pointing me in that direction.
    NP. Thats a good deal too
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    That sounds like a bling build. Looking forward to the pics. So did you dismantle the stock build and sell all the components you won't need? How does that black chrome finish look in real life?
    regarding tires, what do you have on your mind?
    I currently run DHF 2.5 in front and 2.3 rear on wtb asym i29 rims, but already bought another DHF 2.5 for the rear. I'm wondering if the nobby nic's in 2.6 would be a good choice as well. I guess I'll have to give that a go sooner rather than later.
    Ok. Meeting is done.

My LBS was good enough to give me a really good deal on all the swaps. They essentially purchased everything from me that I didn't want, and I paid the difference on the new components.

The colour of that bike is incredible. It's what caught my eye immediately. It looks very rich and timeless. It's one of the best looking frames I have owned. I have yet to see it much outside. Hopefully it sparkles as beautifully as it does indoors.

I have no idea what to do for tires. The stock 3C/DC 2.3 DHFs will likely be fine. I thought though that maybe my aging back might prefer 2.6 Rekons, or maybe 2.5 Minions. NNs in 2.6, as you say, are a definite possibility as well. I will probably just leave it as is with the 2.3 DHFs and buy some more tires over the winter to experiment come spring. Tires are relatively inexpensive and fun to experiment with. Generally, I am a 2.3 Minion guy (DHF/DHR2) but with this hardtail, I may need some more cush.

I need to decide on this Wozo asap. Not sure what to do. I fear you may be right on the redundancy issue, and that a 4.8 fat bike might be a better option for the quiver.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    FWIW, thers no way id buy a new fatbike. Too niche and the odds are it will get less than expected use....[/url]
    That's probably what will happen with me. Commuting daily through the snow may be enough winter biking. That said, I have been having such a blast lately on my commutes that I thought it might be nice to try to hit some of the mountain trails once a week or so. I think a fat bike is a necessity for this, given the amount of snow we get. This would be my first fat bike. In the past, I have commuted on weekdays, and skied on weekends (and sometimes on weekdays too, when we get a massive dump). Fat biking would be a brand new thing for me.

Okay guys. Truly sorry for going down a gopher hole.

Back to Honzo builds...

mtbr member
    Back to Honzo builds...
    agreed... ...are there any 2019 british racing green honzos out there already? can we see some pics and read some impressions? need fix for the addiction...

mtbr member
    That's probably what will happen with me. Commuting daily through the snow may be enough winter biking. That said, I have been having such a blast lately on my commutes that I thought it might be nice to try to hit some of the mountain trails once a week or so. I think a fat bike is a necessity for this, given the amount of snow we get. This would be my first fat bike. In the past, I have commuted on weekdays, and skied on weekends (and sometimes on weekdays too, when we get a massive dump). Fat biking would be a brand new thing for me.

Okay guys. Truly sorry for going down a gopher hole.

Back to Honzo builds...
    If i still lived in Salt Lake City like my buddy, Id be all over a fatbike as the trails are snow covered for 5-6 mos out of the year. He loves that thing and has added a dropper ETC and taken it on the lift trail in dear valley. Its hilarious.

I can absolutely see why somone in Alberta would want one
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

Bnerd
    Kona is selling the 30yr headtube badge if anyone is interested.
    They're currently pre-order and $20CAD.
    I've ordered one as I'm jealous of not being able to afford the limited edition 30yr frame!
    I have something in the works that I'll be putting the headtube badge on. I can't say what it is at the moment as I don't want to jinx anything.

Link - Kona 30th Birthday Anniversary Headtube Badge|KONA

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-screenshot_20181109-111106.jpg
    Last edited by RideEverything; 5 Days Ago at 01:25 PM.

mtbr member
    agreed... ...are there any 2019 british racing green honzos out there already? can we see some pics and read some impressions? need fix for the addiction...
    Turboviking posted one up . Not sure if you saw it. It is very matchy matchy. I like it.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Guys - cross post in the Wheels and Tires subform. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

==========

Ok. Sincere apologies right off the bat. I know that there is lots of useful info smattered throughout numerous similar threads. I need to pull the pin soon on some tires (i.e.; next few days). If someone can make a quick recommendation or two, I sure would appreciate it.

Bike: 2018 steel Honzo hardtail. Stock tires: 2.3 3C DHF front, 2.3 DHF DC rear.

Mods: lots. Drivetrain, brakes, cockpit, dropper. Most significantly for this tire issue, awaiting arrival of a Fox Factory 34 at 140mm (replacing the stock 120mm Revelation), which should give me a little more squish.

Wheels: stock alloy low level WTBs - 29er, 30 mm id. Avoiding carbon for now, for fear of harshness (I own/have owned Enves, E*13s, and We Are Ones). Intentionally sticking with alloy for now.

Terrain: Calgary area - mostly Rocky Mountain foothills - mostly West Bragg, for those familiar with the area - pretty gentle, buff and flowy, dry, some roots and rock.

Rider: 185 lbs out of the shower, 6 feet. 25+ years of riding, many of those year round through the winter. Much more enthusiastic than skilled, but game for anything. Increasingly ailing body. Advil now a staple.

Primary Objective: more cush.

2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR2? 2.6 Rekons? 2.6 NNs?

Always been a 2.3 or 2.5 DHF/2.3 DHR2 guy, but this is the first hardtail I have owned in over a decade. I am a little concerned it is going to eventually beat the shit out of me. Hopefully a well chosen tire may reduce the retina detaching ill effects somewhat.

Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I would give DHF/Rekon in 2.6 a whirl. They are larger volume-wise than Maxxis' 2.5 tires. They do lose durability compare to a 2.5 because they are lighter. Another combo I am interested in 2.6 Mary/Hans as I hear Addix has fixed a lot of Schwalbe's issues. They are more to true to size.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I would give DHF/Rekon in 2.6 a whirl. They are larger volume-wise than Maxxis' 2.5 tires. They do lose durability compare to a 2.5 because they are lighter. Another combo I am interested in 2.6 Mary/Hans as I hear Addix has fixed a lot of Schwalbe's issues. They are more to true to size.
    Yes. Thank you. 2.6 MM/HD needs to be put on my radar. I gave up on all things Schwalbe years and years ago. But agreed - maybe time to give them another shot.

What size DHF are you suggesting? 2.5? So 2.5 DHF front/2.6 Rekon rear? I have never had a larger tire on the rear in my life, although maybe the actual sizes would be indistinguishable. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

As an aside, I think I may have screwed up buying this bike. In hindsight, I think I might have been better off getting a Wozo, running it as a BFat for 3 seasons, and putting 4.0 studded Dillingers on it for the winter. Dammit. Now I am looking at throwing down on yet another bike - a fat bike - and I don't even have the Honzo back from the LBS. I wish I could return it but man - even for me, a long time loyal customer, that may be a lot to ask. I bought it in August (and it has remained at the LBS ever since, undergoing major surgery and still awaiting the arrival of my 34 fork).

mtbr member
    I am suggesting a 2.6 DHF for the front with a 2.6 Rekon in the back if you are sticking with Maxxis.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I am suggesting a 2.6 DHF for the front with a 2.6 Rekon in the back if you are sticking with Maxxis.
    Ok. Thanks. I checked at the Maxxis site and did not see a 2.6 DHF. But maybe they are just out of them? No idea. I have only run 2.3 and 2.5 DHFs in the past.

mtbr member
    Turboviking posted one up . Not sure if you saw it. It is very matchy matchy. I like it.
    Thanks a lot for the headsup, i forgot about that one (I even commented on that post...). Really an eyecatcher!

mtbr member
    Ok. Thanks. I checked at the Maxxis site and did not see a 2.6 DHF. But maybe they are just out of them? No idea. I have only run 2.3 and 2.5 DHFs in the past.
    That Maxxis website is not all too reliable unfortunately, they don't completely list all the available combinations of sizes and compounds.

In case you need some inspiration to push you one way or the other regarding that Wozo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6LlrxYkVqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSNQpNKTkCs

Garry's is completely decked out with Hope parts, that looks magnificent.

Edit: and of course you probably saw this one: Cold Smoke ‚Äď Smokey shreds the Kona Wozo | KONA COG

mtbr member
    This
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...8aApSZEALw_wcB

And this in the back
    https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...saAmT8EALw_wcB

BTW, I have some 2.6 x 29 NN and really liked them
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    Here is a DHF 29 2.6 at Worldwide Cyclery.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Here is a DHF 29 2.6 at Worldwide Cyclery.
    Thank you. I wasnít doubting you. I am largely in the dark when it comes to tires. I found a few older threads. From what I gather, the 2.6 DHF is lighter but not nearly as robust as the 2.5.

mtbr member
    I didn't think you were doubting me. I just wanted to help point you in right direction because it seems like you are settled on a DHF for the front of your Honzo. If so, I don't blame you because I can't say there is a better front tire in my experience so far.

mtbr member
    Yes. Thank you. 2.6 MM/HD needs to be put on my radar. I gave up on all things Schwalbe years and years ago. But agreed - maybe time to give them another shot.

What size DHF are you suggesting? 2.5? So 2.5 DHF front/2.6 Rekon rear? I have never had a larger tire on the rear in my life, although maybe the actual sizes would be indistinguishable. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

As an aside, I think I may have screwed up buying this bike. In hindsight, I think I might have been better off getting a Wozo, running it as a BFat for 3 seasons, and putting 4.0 studded Dillingers on it for the winter. Dammit. Now I am looking at throwing down on yet another bike - a fat bike - and I don't even have the Honzo back from the LBS. I wish I could return it but man - even for me, a long time loyal customer, that may be a lot to ask. I bought it in August (and it has remained at the LBS ever since, undergoing major surgery and still awaiting the arrival of my 34 fork).
    here's some suggested reading for you

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ko...a-1029924.html

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    here's some suggested reading for you

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ko...a-1029924.html
    Thanks. Read the whole thing and have exchanged numerous PMs.

I am down to the fine strokes. I have it narrowed down to 2 candidates - one of which is the Wozo, albeit the dark horse candidate.

mtbr member

I am down to the fine strokes. I have it narrowed down to 2 candidates - one of which is the Wozo, albeit the dark horse candidate.
    what size frame are you looking for Mike?
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    what size frame are you looking for Mike?

Large. What do you have in mind?

The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. As you know, I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver, both of which will see 3 season duty.

If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal, but still.

Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.

But that geo...
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 2 Days Ago at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member

You're welcome! Nice work

mtbr member

Large. What do you have in mind?

The complete build Wozo seems to me to be a horrible deal. I am looking for a winter only bike. As you know, I just bought a steel Honzo and have a 2018 29er Sight in the quiver, both of which will see 3 season duty.

If I am going for a complete build, I can get a Norco Sasquatch 1 with an Eagle drivetrain and a dropper for $400 less. I appreciate itís a different animal, but still.

Long time Kona fan. I currently have 6 in my garage. But as a general comment, I find almost all Kona complete builds these days to be a horrible deal. Plus their component spec is generally pretty shitty, even for their higher end builds.

But that geo...
    Yes, Kona completes only make sense at closeout prices. The hubs and headsets they use are an insult, usually. (And I'm also a big time fan since 2002)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

My REALLY Big Honzo

shown here on the Splash Dam South Trail in Davis, WV. I wanted a bike for the vacation house that I could depend on, would crawl over roots a rocks nicely, and could be leaned against a wall in the basement when I am done. No fuss. I worked to hard to get that cabin and want to maximize my fun/time.

XL 2018 Kona Big Honzo

Yari 150mm fork (sounds freakish from a geometry standpoint but it is totally norrmal feeling. Nice a chill.

Grip-shifted SRAM 1x11 set up with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette
    Fratelli (from Amazon) 29 x 35mm front wheel and a 27.5 x 40mm rear wheel. 2.6 front tire and a 3.0 rear.

Ritchy carbon post until I have a few bucks for a PNW dropper

XT brakes

Fenders for da' mud. We ride the mud because that is all we have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-46049038_10218138975170915_2751127965579345920_n.jpg  

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    So apparently my fork finally arrived today. I need to decide now how much of the steerer tube I need to cut. I haven't seen it yet but apparently I can't leave it uncut because it is so long it will poke my eye out. Lol. I like leaving them loooooong, with spacers on top. Just in case.

It's down to that, and tires.

I am also on the edge of throwing caution to the wind and ordering some We Are One Agent wheels with DT 350 hubs. I can get those on sale if I act quickly.

I should have the bike this week. I will post a few pics after I get it. I would say that it turned out very modestly blinged. Just ever so slightly. A fiscally responsible component build. Just enough to keep it a little bit interesting, without upsetting my banker.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    This has probably been covered but I cant find my answer, A friend of mine just picked up a 2015 frame not knowing it was QR rear, so 135mm spacing, can he change the modular dropout to a thru axle or is the entire frame too narrow?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzSolo View Post
    This has probably been covered but I cant find my answer, A friend of mine just picked up a 2015 frame not knowing it was QR rear, so 135mm spacing, can he change the modular dropout to a thru axle or is the entire frame too narrow?
    That's odd, the 2015 came stock as 142x12.maybe the previous owner changed the dropouts to 135?
    Anyway, the frame does accept 142x12, your mate just needs to swap the dropouts

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253