Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253 LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,200 of 5229
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    That's a super sick looking bike. Nicely done. I don't see that particular colourway online though. What am I missing?
    Not being a dick here. He stated in the second paragraph, it is a purple 2018 with the white logos removed. And I agree, it is a super sick looking bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Nice build and rig looks good! What are these weighing in at?
    Without dirt and pump/multitool she's just under 14 kg.

That's a super sick looking bike. Nicely done. I don't see that particular colourway online though. What am I missing?
    It's the 2018 steel frame indeed :-) KONA BIKES | MTB | HONZO | Honzo ST. What they show on the Kona website depends on your location (they still list the Honzo Ti here), maybe that's why you don't see it.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I see it now. Sorry guys. The steel Honzo frame that came up is a light green one but I now see that itís the 2019 version. The option is there to switch to the 2018 and sure enough...boom. Yours.

Anyway, good job. Dope as shit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudackl View Post
    Thanks guys Without dirt and pump/multitool she's just under 14 kg. It's the 2018 steel frame indeed :-) KONA BIKES | MTB | HONZO | Honzo ST. What they show on the Kona website depends on your location (they still list the Honzo Ti here), maybe that's why you don't see it.
    So what are the build specs? I really want to rebuild my Honzo as my XC bike for a different ride than my Balance. I still want it to be an AMHT, so 140mm it will be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    So what are the build specs? I really want to rebuild my Honzo as my XC bike for a different ride than my Balance. I still want it to be an AMHT, so 140mm it will be.
    Honzo ST 2018 medium frame, Rockshox Revelation RC 120 mm, Shimano XT M8000 brakes, SRAM X01 10Ė42 drivetrain, Wolftooth 28T chainring, Race Face Chester pedals, Race Face Turbine R 40 mm stem and 750 mm bars, Ergon GE1 Evo grips, FSA headset, Hope Pro 4 hubs, Stan's Arch MK3 29" rims, Maxxis DHF and Ardent 2.5" tires tubeless, KS Lev Integra 125 mm, Race Face Turbine dropper lever, SQlab 611 (pretty old one), OneUp EDC pump/tool.

Most of it I'd do again, except for a 150 mm dropper, little wider rims, and Schwalbe tyres. Had purple Ergon GA2 first and felt guilty for buying the black GE1 only for the colour, but they're sooo good, absolutely worth it. The medium frame size feels good, large would be fine as well, I suppose. I'm roughly 63 kg, 178 cm with 80 cm inseam (the measuring method is a bit sketchy though: I've used a string and A4 papers and credit cards figure out how long it is).

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quick question...2018 steel Honzo frame...no mention at Konaís site of going 27.5+ with it. Yet the Big Honzo mentions that it can go either way - 27.5+ or 29. Is there any problem with running the Honzo with a 27.5+ wheelset, with a 29er 140 fork? Will there be a potential issue with the BB being too low? And what is the biggest tire that will fit in 27.5+ mode? Will a Rekon 2.8 fit?

mtbr member
    Quick question...2018 steel Honzo frame...no mention at Konaís site of going 27.5+ with it. Yet the Big Honzo mentions that it can go either way - 27.5+ or 29. Is there any problem with running the Honzo with a 27.5+ wheelset, with a 29er 140 fork? Will there be a potential issue with the BB being too low? And what is the biggest tire that will fit in 27.5+ mode? Will a Rekon 2.8 fit?
    I've got the 2018 ST. While I've never mounted a 27+ tire I did check for clearance with a wheel from my other bike. A 27.5x2.8 Specialized Slaughter seem to have plenty of clearance. A 27.5x3 Specialized Ground Control would not fit.

I ride rocky trails so I would be concerned about bb height and increased pedal strikes with a 27.5x2.8 tire.

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    This seem like the correct place for this. Spent last 4-6 weeks looking for new Bike in $3000 range. thought I would most likely get FS 29er. Long story short only FS bikes I liked were 4-5000. Almost bought a XC carbon hard tail. But finally stumbled into 30th Honzo ST at LBS. Took it for ride after two weeks denial and finally admitting to my self that the bike felt right (why would you want a steel hard tail) went back and got it.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

Upgraded drive line to GX Eagle and added Ardent 2.4 skinwalls. Thing looks awesome.

Questions:

1) Is this bike as good as it seems to be as far as fun and all out trail riding?

2) I'm nuts for refusing the kool aid and buying what felt right?

3) Feels good so far on trail but might have to be more forward on down hills is this the way you should ride this thing?

4) Is it me or is 29 allot faster then 26? This thing is scary fast at times. But fun.

5) Ardent vs Minion thoughts? Liked the look hope they have enough bite.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gna View Post
    Questions:

1) Is this bike as good as it seems to be as far as fun and all out trail riding?

3) Feels good so far on trail but might have to be more forward on down hills is this the way you should ride this thing?

4) Is it me or is 29 allot faster then 26? This thing is scary fast at times. But fun.

Thanks
    First off, CONGRATS on finding a 30th Edition! Those things are beautiful, have fun riding it!

I am just answering based on my time on a Honzo and while riding at my skill level.

1. Yes, it is as good as advertised for most riding. High speed through rock gardens can overwhelm it because it is still a hardtail.

2. If it feels right, it is right. They may be on the heavier side but the ride is responsive, compliant, will allow you tractor up most anything and have a party on the trail while pointed down.

3. Yes, on the DH side of things ride the fork, heavy on the heels and loose in the hips. The Honzo is a high energy ride because how capable it is when pointed down and how heavy it is when pointed up.

4. 29" wheels have better rollover and carry more momentum than 26" wheels. It'll will hurt you and help you depending on the trail.

5. My first set of tires on my Honzo was Ardent/Ikon. I moved the Ardent out back for a Minion DHF. Then I put the Ikon on in place of the Ardent and finally moved to a Minion DHR II for my rear tire. I want grip and traction out my tires otherwise I tend to hurt myself. I feel like Ardents' nobs tend to fold over during braking, cornering and climbing. They just don't have a lot of support built in to them. The Ikon had better traction for climbing to me.

5b. The next set of tires I have my eyes on are a Magic Mary Soft and Nobby Nic Speedgrip. I would rather a new Hans Damph for the rear but 2.35s are not offered in Speedgrip. My LBS owner loves Schwable. The Addix compound seems to have fixed a lot of their durability issues.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    This seem like the correct place for this. Spent last 4-6 weeks looking for new Bike in $3000 range. thought I would most likely get FS 29er. Long story short only FS bikes I liked were 4-5000. Almost bought a XC carbon hard tail. But finally stumbled into 30th Honzo ST at LBS. Took it for ride after two weeks denial and finally admitting to my self that the bike felt right (why would you want a steel hard tail) went back and got it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Honzo.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	262.8 KB 
ID:	1217089

Upgraded drive line to GX Eagle and added Ardent 2.4 skinwalls. Thing looks awesome.

Questions:

Thanks
    I bought the same bike. Mine is #37 of 201. What is yours? Lol.

More importantly, did you change your wheelset? The driver in the rear hub is a Shimano driver (the SRAM NX drivetrain that came stock on it uses a Shimano and not a SRAM driver). The Shimano driver is not compatible with an Eagle drivetrain. Or so I thought. Did I misunderstand any or all of this?

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Yep swapped out to asym WTB with other driver. Your are correct.

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Mine 165/201.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Yep swapped out to asym WTB with other driver. Your are correct.
    Is the stock wheelset brutal enough to have switched out on its own? Or did you do it mostly for the driver swap? And hub?

I am toying with the idea of getting a wheelset built by We Are One. They built my last set, which turned out nice. Hence my post above about 27.5+. Just deciding what to do, wheelset wise.

I decided to try a Shimano drivetrain and brakes after not having owned anything Shimano for over 5 years now. So I do not need to switch the driver with my drivetrain upgrade.

Need to think about a new wheeleset though...

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Just swapped out wheel set for driver wanted GX eagle. Are you considering 27.5? I have to ride some more. First 29er and faster then I thought it would be. I can see why you might go 27.5. Can get in trouble quick. Thing really rolls. Like I said need to ride some more but could see lighter wheel set in future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is the stock wheelset brutal enough to have switched out on its own? Or did you do it mostly for the driver swap? And hub?

I am toying with the idea of getting a wheelset built by We Are One. They built my last set, which turned out nice. Hence my post above about 27.5+. Just deciding what to do, wheelset wise.

I decided to try a Shimano drivetrain and brakes after not having owned anything Shimano for over 5 years now. So I do not need to switch the driver with my drivetrain upgrade.

Need to think about a new wheeleset though...
    I remember Dustin when he raced for Rocky, that seemed a lifetime ago. I always thought he was kind of a ...... I recently listened to his podcast on the down time and I am going to buy a set of his wheels also. He has a %15 off if you use the coupon code in the podcast.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    I remember Dustin when he raced for Rocky, that seemed a lifetime ago. I always thought he was kind of a ...... I recently listened to his podcast on the down time and I am going to buy a set of his wheels also. He has a %15 off if you use the coupon code in the podcast.
    Nice. Where do I find the pod cast?

mtbr member
    Nice. Where do I find the pod cast?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/we-are...e-podcast.html

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Greetings,

I've recently pulled the trigger on the 30th anniversary edition honzo st (yay!), now a 2 week wait till it arrives (had to preorder to get one of the last ones coming to New Zealand).

I'm planning on gradually upgrading things here and there until I end up with a dreambike, so I'll be on here plenty asking for advice and recommendations.

First question, I'm planning on upgrading the fork pretty quick, what do people recommend as the ideal travel? My last 2 bikes ran 140mm up front and I was imagining going with that again. Also, how stiff is the frame? Will it benefit from running a more solid fork, eg 36/yari/lyrik?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Sweet!!!

I am in the exact same boat as you. I asked the same question and did some heavy reading here and elsewhere. As I understand it, people are running anywhere from 120 to 150. Some feel the bike runs best (i.e.; snappiest) with a 120 as speced. A lot of others like a 140, feeling as though that travel offers a good balance of a nice plush ride, without sacrificing responsiveness or raising the stack height too much to compromise climbing.

I am going with a 140 Factory 34. I really like the 140 36 on my 29er full suspension, but thought a 34 would be plenty stiff. I will be able to easily and inexpensively change the travel to 130 or 120 with a new air spring, if I wish to go that route down the road.

I guess it also depends on your intended terrain. Guys running this bike in my area (Canadian Rockies) are running it at 140 and are riding blacks and double blacks with it.

I decided to just go for it with this bike as well, and get a new wheelset. I am going to get We Are One Agents with DT350 hubs. I am going to switch the bike over to run a SRAM drivetrain so I will get the wheels built with an XD Driver.

I just bought a set of We Are One 29er Insiders for my full suspension bike. I am VERY tempted to get 27.5 Agents and run them with 2.8s. I would then have my 2.3 Insiders (27 mm id) and also a 27.5+ 30 mm id wheelset that I could swap between for the Honzo. I was steered away from the plus because of BB height/pedal strike issues. Still deciding but I am leaning towards 29er Agents with 2.5s. I sure would love to compliment my existing 29 wheelset with a new 27.5+ wheelset, but I ride rocky terrain and pedal strikes are a buzz kill for me. Even so, I may take a chance and go for the 27.5+. The versatility of the Honzo (and my full suspension bike) would be incredible with both wheelsets as options.

A GX Eagle shifter, cassette and rear derailleur, a Factory Transfer dropper, a Wolf Tooth remote, RaceFace Turbine cranks with the new RaceFace oval ring, 4 piston XT brakes and a gold Eagle chain will round things out.

Just waiting on the fork.

Keep us posted on what you decide build-wise. Having just gone through the same process with the same bike, I will be interested to see what directions you take. Have fun!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Hopefully you guys are rocking your Honzos a little more aggressively than this hack.

LMAO.

This is a little dated but wow - what a beast. Instant jack on the stoke meter.

mtbr member
    Hell yeah, a little filthy phil atwill will always put a smile on your face!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6bpmj2uoAU
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy_fuel View Post
    Greetings,

I've recently pulled the trigger on the 30th anniversary edition honzo st (yay!), now a 2 week wait till it arrives (had to preorder to get one of the last ones coming to New Zealand).

I'm planning on gradually upgrading things here and there until I end up with a dreambike, so I'll be on here plenty asking for advice and recommendations.

First question, I'm planning on upgrading the fork pretty quick, what do people recommend as the ideal travel? My last 2 bikes ran 140mm up front and I was imagining going with that again. Also, how stiff is the frame? Will it benefit from running a more solid fork, eg 36/yari/lyrik?
    The new revelation isnt too bad, if you wanted you could upgrade to the pike dampner and pretty much have a pike, 10/10 would recommend running it 140mm travel, its just as agile as it was when it was 120mm in my opinion.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzSolo View Post
    The new revelation isnt too bad, if you wanted you could upgrade to the pike dampner and pretty much have a pike, 10/10 would recommend running it 140mm travel, its just as agile as it was when it was 120mm in my opinion.
    Another thought might be this...

Not sure what is required with the Revelation but if he is going to have to buy a new air spring and damper, why not just dump the fork at the outset, and pay the difference for a 140mm 34 or 36? Or a Pike or Lyric? My LBS is giving me a wicked deal swapping my stock Revelation for a 140 Factory 34 (if it ever gets here). I am a recently converted Fox guy so to me, this makes the most sense. Plus, the orange accents on the Fox fork look to be a direct match with the Honzo orange. LOL.

I have that decision nailed. Also the 4 piston XT M8020 brakes. Also the Transfer dropper. Plus the RaceFace Turbine crank and new RaceFace oval chainring. What I CAN'T seem to decide on is an XT drivetrain or GX Eagle.

Aaarrrggghhh...

mtbr member
    MTNBKRMIKE's phil atwill vid got me stoked to do some work on the honzo today. We are actually going to have a lift serviced trail within a couple hours drive of us and the HT is gonna have to be my weapon of choice.

Swapped to 203/180 rotors
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180923_132253231.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180923_132322017.jpg

Installed a schwalbe fat albert DH-ish rear tire and ordered a magic mary for the front.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180923_140024561.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    MTNBKRMIKE's phil atwill vid got me stoked to do some work on the honzo today. We are actually going to have a lift serviced trail within a couple hours drive of us and the HT is gonna have to be my weapon of choice.

Swapped to 203/180 rotors

Name:	IMG_20180923_132253231.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	1217674

Name:	IMG_20180923_132322017.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	1217672

Installed a schwalbe fat albert DH-ish rear tire and ordered a magic mary for the front.

Name:	IMG_20180923_140024561.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	1217673
    Beauty. Your builds are always spot on.

Your post reminded me...heeding your prior advice, I am also obsessing over an 11 speed non-Eagle SRAM drivetrain, given that my last one was FLAWLESS, and that my brand new XO Eagle has been a complete PITA. So...

XT vs GX Eagle vs 11 speed SRAM of some level...

mtbr member
    Thanks man. X1 would be my vote

As I recall, the X1 has same mechanical internal parts but are all aluminum instead of AL/CF mix. Don't think the weight savings was all that much. Have X1 and X01 shifters and while the 01 offers some adjustability over the x1, the action feels the same.

Plus you don't want to cry every time you trash a derailleur
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thanks man. X1 would be my vote

As I recall, the X1 has same mechanical internal parts but are all aluminum instead of AL/CF mix. Don't think the weight savings was all that much. Have X1 and X01 shifters and while the 01 offers some adjustability over the x1, the action feels the same.

Plus you don't want to cry every time you trash a derailleur
    Yeah. I had XX1 front to back on my Range that I sold (with a Next crank). That thing was stellar. Not a second of problems through 3 years of pretty serious riding.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it real with this Honzo. Plus I need to buy a new fridge. And stove and dishwasher. Which of course can all wait til I am good and done with the bike stuff. A man's gotta have his priorities straight, right?

I might give the XT stuff a shot. Cheap, reliable, and I haven't had anything Shimano for years. It would be fun to be able to A/B it against the XO Eagle setup on my Sight. Plus if I keep it all Shimano, I could use the Spec-II Matchmaker-like clamp adaptors to keep everything nice and tidy in the cockpit, which would do wonders for my bike OCD.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I had XX1 front to back on my Range that I sold (with a Next crank). That thing was stellar. Not a second of problems through 3 years of pretty serious riding.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it real with this Honzo. Plus I need to buy a new fridge. And stove and dishwasher. Which of course can all wait til I am good and done with the bike stuff. A man's gotta have his priorities straight, right?

I might give the XT stuff a shot. Cheap, reliable, and I haven't had anything Shimano for years. It would be fun to be able to A/B it against the XO Eagle setup on my Sight. Plus if I keep it all Shimano, I could use the Spec-II Matchmaker-like clamp adaptors to keep everything nice and tidy in the cockpit, which would do wonders for my bike OCD.
    Gotta tell ya, the M7000 SLX shifter feels just as good if not better than the 9000. My buddy says he prefers the 7000 over the 8000 shifter. Shifting seems to take a lot more effort compared to sram.

Shimano M8000 11spd can be had cheap too. Stay away from their 11-46 cassette though.

Just an e-opinon
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    ...Stay away from their 11-46 cassette though.
    Why? Too big of a jump to the biggest ring? I was going to go with the 11-46...

mtbr member
    Why? Too big of a jump to the biggest ring? I was going to go with the 11-46...

That 37-46 is a pretty big jump and can make for a slow shift when you usually need it most. Sunrace/Box offers a light (ish) 11-46 that has an aluminum spider and big cogs. The jump is also a more manageable 40-46
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member

Honzo park mode

Finished preparing the honzo for some fall bike park fun. 180/203MM rotors, Fat Albert rear with Magic Mary front and also stretched the fork to 130mm. Ready to rock a full face and bash this pig down the mountain!Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180927_163042821.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Looks awesome. Cables look a little long but presumably you are positioning yourself for the 1125 bar width craze that is right around the corner.

Rip it up. And be happy you didnít wake up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning...

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Another thought might be this...

Not sure what is required with the Revelation but if he is going to have to buy a new air spring and damper, why not just dump the fork at the outset, and pay the difference for a 140mm 34 or 36? Or a Pike or Lyric? My LBS is giving me a wicked deal swapping my stock Revelation for a 140 Factory 34 (if it ever gets here). I am a recently converted Fox guy so to me, this makes the most sense. Plus, the orange accents on the Fox fork look to be a direct match with the Honzo orange. LOL.

I have that decision nailed. Also the 4 piston XT M8020 brakes. Also the Transfer dropper. Plus the RaceFace Turbine crank and new RaceFace oval chainring. What I CAN'T seem to decide on is an XT drivetrain or GX Eagle.

Aaarrrggghhh...
    From what I understand the bikes are now at the wholesaler and should be shipping today ( 28/9/18) or so ive been told after 3 months of them dicking me around on when they would arrive!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    From what I understand the bikes are now at the wholesaler and should be shipping today ( 28/9/18) or so ive been told after 3 months of them dicking me around on when they would arrive!
    Iím praying for you. Iíve had mine for a month and a half. My delay is with the Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome. Cables look a little long but presumably you are positioning yourself for the 1125 bar width craze that is right around the corner.

Rip it up. And be happy you didnít wake up to a fresh blanket of snow this morning...
    Thanks and yeah, they are a bit long. Plan is to put all of these parts on a 153 29 when i can get my hands on a frame and i've also been lazy
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    May 2017

Holy shit its here

Well, after a 3 month long back order I am now the proud, and possibly first owner of a 30th anniversary honzo in New Zealand!

My XT drivetrain and brakes went straight on
    Raceface (fox) dropper in 150mm
    Raceface NEXT carbon bar and 35 mmatlas stem
    Raceface crank
    Stans Sentry rims (32mm ID) with minion DHF and DHR WT laced up to the factory hubs ( formula maybe?)
    Works -2 degree headset
    140mm airshaft into the revelation ( fork actually feels pretty damn good with the cheap dampner, may upgrade if need be)

Also have an 800 wide raceface bar coming and a 40mm turbine stem to get the rach hopefully back into the right spot so its almost done! Black cassette and chain wouldnt hurt if im nit picking!

Bike feels heckin awesome, hoping to get out on it tomorrow to test out the 65 degree headangle!

Number 1 of 23 in NZ and number 110 of 201 world wide!

absolutely fizzing

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-42929637_694760017546921_5536811236567547904_n.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-42906130_324695058287578_5690082161047109632_n.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-42886761_2074030722911610_2225779050675175424_n.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Iím praying for you. Iíve had mine for a month and a half. My delay is with the Fox fork.
    Damn how did you get yours so quick! Thought I was the first in NZ ah well least its here!

mtbr member
    Well...
    Looks great, and the parts spec is top notch! Congrats and boatloads of fun with the new ride!

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Looks great. Interested how you like 140mm and 2 degrees. I have been having an absolute blast on mine (165/201). Waiting for it to stop raining so can go have more fun.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Damn how did you get yours so quick! Thought I was the first in NZ ah well least its here!
    Congrats!!! Your build is very similar to where I am going.

I got mine in early August. My LBS got 2 right around that time.

Your build has given me some ideas, while I continue to wait for my fork...

Congrats again!!! Looks awesome AF.

mtbr member
    Well, after a 3 month long back order I am now the proud, and possibly first owner of a 30th anniversary honzo in New Zealand!

My XT drivetrain and brakes went straight on
    Raceface (fox) dropper in 150mm
    Raceface NEXT carbon bar and 35 mmatlas stem
    Raceface crank
    Stans Sentry rims (32mm ID) with minion DHF and DHR WT laced up to the factory hubs ( formula maybe?)
    Works -2 degree headset
    140mm airshaft into the revelation ( fork actually feels pretty damn good with the cheap dampner, may upgrade if need be)

Also have an 800 wide raceface bar coming and a 40mm turbine stem to get the rach hopefully back into the right spot so its almost done! Black cassette and chain wouldnt hurt if im nit picking!

Bike feels heckin awesome, hoping to get out on it tomorrow to test out the 65 degree headangle!

Number 1 of 23 in NZ and number 110 of 201 world wide!

absolutely fizzing
    Congrats man! Looks really schweet
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Looks great. Interested how you like 140mm and 2 degrees. I have been having an absolute blast on mine (165/201). Waiting for it to stop raining so can go have more fun.
    I was like " hmmm its not that slack, then rode the old one and its hugely noticable!" Should be good!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Congrats!!! Your build is very similar to where I am going.

I got mine in early August. My LBS got 2 right around that time.

Your build has given me some ideas, while I continue to wait for my fork...

Congrats again!!! Looks awesome AF.
    Ah weird! Bikeaholics? I figured if anyone had them itd be those guys. Yeah, ill be stoked to get the 800 wide bar on, gonna need the leverage with the 65 degree HA! Its almost to pretty to ride.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Ah weird! Bikeaholics? I figured if anyone had them itd be those guys. Yeah, ill be stoked to get the 800 wide bar on, gonna need the leverage with the 65 degree HA! Its almost to pretty to ride.
    Iím in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Sorry if I said something misleading earlier.

fraid of heights
    Anyone strip the paint off their steel Honzo? Pics??

Cool that they are doing a Steel Big Honzo this year, but not really digging the teal over dark blue...

ON that note, they should have done the 30th anniversary editions in RAW...

AND... I sure wish they would have just done a "flip chip"/drop out swap and made all the frames 27.5 PLUS ad 29ers optimized instead of different frames...
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018

2019 Steel warhammer!

Thought you lot might like to see what the new ones look like assembled into awesome...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-front-qtr.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-rear-qtr.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wild-landsape.jpg

I've only managed a couple of rides so far but I am stoked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-front-qtr-2.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-rear-qtr.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wild-landsape.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Turboviking, I love the clean simplicity. Your new ride has many similarities to mine, except I do not ride moto style brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Looks stunning! Love the combo with the stanchions and bars. Is that 140 mm travel?

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018
    Yeah i was hoping it would end up nice and tidy, itís so quiet out on the trail too!

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudackl View Post
    Looks stunning! Love the combo with the stanchions and bars. Is that 140 mm travel?
    Forks are 130-160 TALAS 36s. Iím planning to adjust them to 140mm but Iíll run the 130 for now and see how it goes! I doubt Iíll ever use them at 160 while riding but the TALAS were going super cheap and couldnít pass them up!

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Where do most of you run your rear axle? Mine is in the middle and wonder how much lighter front end will seem if move forward. Is there much difference in the way the bike handles with the axle for or aft?

mtbr member
    All the way in front, but I'm hardly good enough to notice a difference. In my mind it's more nimble that way, easier to wheelie/manual (not that I can either of both).

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Where do most of you run your rear axle? Mine is in the middle and wonder how much lighter front end will seem if move forward. Is there much difference in the way the bike handles with the axle for or aft?
    All the way in! I guess youd get more weight over the front with it further back but its so playful nice and short

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Slammed. Forward.

As. Far. As It. Will. Go.

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018
    I have my back wheel slammed and even though the front end of the Honzo is looooong, once you get the front wheel off the ground it seems pretty keen to stay up there!!

I'd definitely try a few rides with the wheel shoved forward!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Here is my new Honzo CR. I wanted an XC raceish bike that can ride the rowdy tracks. I'm hoping in the long run to have a light weight wheelset with XC tyres and then put some beefy trail tyres on the wheel I have in there now.
    The only parts left from the stock bike is the seatpost and headset, everything else changed out for parts I already had with a brand new Fox 34 sc.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

mtbr member
    NICE BIKE!! Would love to hear the ride report on the new Fox 34 step cast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turboviking View Post
    Thought you lot might like to see what the new ones look like assembled into awesome...

Name:	front qtr.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	1219239
    What is this handlebar!? Sick!
    Ripley LS V3 | Niner RLT Steel IMBA Edition

mtbr member
    I dig the entire color scheme, very good taste. would you mind sharing a parts list? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by turboviking View Post

Name:	front qtr.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	1219239

Name:	rear qtr.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	183.9 KB 
ID:	1219240

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    What is this handlebar!? Sick!
    Nukeproof Horizon Copper

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    I dig the entire color scheme, very good taste. would you mind sharing a parts list? thanks!
    Fox 36 Factory TALAS
    Nukeproof Horizon wheelset, bars and matching copper seat clamp
    Deity Cavity stem (31.8 x 35mm length)
    XT crankset with OneUp oval ring, Reverse singlespeed kit and cog (32/17 gearing)
    XT M8000 brakes
    OneUp 170mm dropper post

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pick View Post
    NICE BIKE!! Would love to hear the ride report on the new Fox 34 step cast
    I have three rides on it now, two of them were xc races and one was a decent climb and descent. The fork is nice and I think it's perfect for what I want which is a rowdy xc race bike. It feels controlled in the rough stuff and the stiffness seems good for the weight. For racing I will want to sort out a handlebar remote lockout for sure.

Pro beard wearer
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDFATUGLY View Post
    Turboviking, I love the clean simplicity. Your new ride has many similarities to mine, except I do not ride moto style brakes.
    I'm in Australia and moto style is all we know!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone riding 27.5x2.8? Found a new 2018 frame locally and thinking about swapping out the parts from my specialized fuse to the honzo but want to keep the current wheel setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

First frame up build and first ride today on the Big Honzo ST, it was a lot of fun.

Size Medium
    Fox 34 140mm 44mm offset
    GX/X01 Eagle mixed drivetrain
    Shimano XT brakes
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    Reynolds Enduro 27.5 28mm id rims with I9 Hubs
    Magic Mary 2.6 Front, Rekon 2.6 rear.
    BB height around 12.5 inches

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klatekin View Post
    First frame up build and first ride today on the Big Honzo ST, it was a lot of fun.

Size Medium
    Fox 34 140mm 44mm offset
    Shimano XT brakes
    Bike Yoke Revive 185

That looks splendid, congrats! The Marys mean serious business!

Limbo
    Sep 2018
    Currently stockpiling parts for my winter build but canít decide between the medium and large 2019 Honzo ST frame. Iím 5í10 but my arm span is 6í1. Iím leaning towards the medium, but thought Iíd get some insight from the forum. For the record the build is more for a 3-4 hours ripping up some local trails in Germany. I spend most of my time riding double track and gravel roads on a Hakka MX.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Go medium.

mtbr member
    With your sizing, I'd say large. Keep in mind, it's a lot easier to make a large bike smaller than make a small bike larger.

Added: Just saw the other post. Shows you opinions vary. Best way is to ride/sit on the bike or a similar sized bike. Best of luck.

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Donít know if this is the right place to ask this but what is the difference between steel Honzo Bog Honzo steel and Explosif steel. All can run 27.5 but Honzo st both. What are Big Honzo and Explosif like compared to Honzo st. I have Honzo st with 29 s and love it.

mtbr member
    Donít know if this is the right place to ask this but what is the difference between steel Honzo Bog Honzo steel and Explosif steel. All can run 27.5 but Honzo st both. What are Big Honzo and Explosif like compared to Honzo st. I have Honzo st with 29 s and love it.
    Honzo : geometry designed for 29" wheels, 120 mm fork, but can handle 27+ depending on tire size, fork travel, bb drop preference. comes in kona cromoly steel, alu, carbon, ti
    Big honzo: designed for 27+ and 29, 130 mmfork. Kona cromo, alu, carbon
    Explosif: only standard 27.5 wheels, non-plus. 120 fork iirc, Reynolds steel. Discontinued imo, last model year 2018

gna
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I guess what I was looking for is has anyone rode all three? What are they like compared to each other?

mtbr member
    Has anyone drilled additional holes on the down tube of their Honzo ST for the dropper routing? I saw that done in one of the reviews I read early on. Anyone else have success with it? Drawbacks?

Norūwegr
    You need to coat the steel with something so it doesn't rust (since it'd be more exposed than the non-coated internal portion of the frame). And you need to do it in a spot where there isn't going to be a structural issue with adding a hole.

Kona should be able to give you a good spot for where to drill, it could void your warranty either way.

IMHO just get a KS lev or Fox with the cable starting at the seatclamp and route it along the toptube, it's so much easier to maintain that I'll be going back to a setup like it even though my bike has stealthrouting available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    Has anyone drilled additional holes on the down tube of their Honzo ST for the dropper routing? I saw that done in one of the reviews I read early on. Anyone else have success with it? Drawbacks?
    Instead of drilling your frame, have you thought of just using an external dropper post? Fox makes an external post and is very reliable. Just one example.

mtbr member
    Thanks Vegard and kwapik. I didn't even think about voiding the warrenty. I definitely won't be drilling with that in mind.

The dropper I'll be using will be coming off my full suspension bike and is internally routed. I'll grab some p-clips and have it go up the down tube.

Did I read on this thread that gorilla tape is the best thing to use to pug the hole where the cable comes out of the frame?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I used the Paragon clips on mine and they work great for dropper cable routing on the down tube.

CC4111 - Aluminum Cable Clamp 4.2 mm Housing

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Shit. I bought the steel Honzo on a whim. Then, because of the almost non-functional dropper remote, one thing led to another, and now I am in the middle of swapping out not only the dropper and remote, but also the fork, the brakes and the entire drivetrain. The only thing that was horrible out of the box was the dropper and remote. I could not understand how Kona could be happy with how it functioned. The remote required a CRAZY amount of pressure for it to work.

Now I am thinking that it was a simple cable routing issue that was the problem... Something that could have easily been fixed... Oh well.

mtbr member
    Old. Stubborn.
    But trying to learn something new.
    I've been on the same Ti frames for 11 seasons now and finally my eyes are wandering.
    I have a steel Honzo (frame) on order and have the same few questions many of you have.
    Is 140mm too tall/long? Am I a Medium or Large? What length dropper? And of course, what's the widest tire everyone is using?

I do have one more question that I haven't seen addressed in the past 52 pages.
    Are any of you having issues w/ the lower BB?
    It's about 15mm lower than what I'm used to and I know it doesn't take too much difference to be clacking pedals all over the place. Sure, this is current generation geometry and I should get used to it but I don't ride purpose built trails (much).
    But, How big an issue has it been for any of you?

Thanks.
    -JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    Old. Stubborn.
    But trying to learn something new.
    I've been on the same Ti frames for 11 seasons now and finally my eyes are wandering.
    I have a steel Honzo (frame) on order and have the same few questions many of you have.
    Is 140mm too tall/long? Am I a Medium or Large? What length dropper? And of course, what's the widest tire everyone is using?

I do have one more question that I haven't seen addressed in the past 52 pages.
    Are any of you having issues w/ the lower BB?
    It's about 15mm lower than what I'm used to and I know it doesn't take too much difference to be clacking pedals all over the place. Sure, this is current generation geometry and I should get used to it but I don't ride purpose built trails (much).
    But, How big an issue has it been for any of you?

Thanks.
    -JCBs
    Honzo is a dream with 140mm. I feel like it should come that way stock and a lot of others do too. I ran 29x2.5 DHF on mine and still didn't feel like I was up too high. I got a lot of pedal strikes with the 120mm and 29X2.25

I believe the dropper was 140-150mm

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    For the steel Honzo, can anyone confirm one way or the other whether 2.6 Rekons will fit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Honzo is a dream with 140mm. I feel like it should come that way stock and a lot of others do too. I ran 29x2.5 DHF on mine and still didn't feel like I was up too high. I got a lot of pedal strikes with the 120mm and 29X2.25

I believe the dropper was 140-150mm
    5'10.5" with normal proportions, riding a medium 2015 steel Honzo. Love the fit. I love it with 120mm fork, with the stem slammed. Super fast and maneuverable. I tried 130mm and the front end felt too high, with front wheel too light in the corners. If i was on a large, with a longer wheelbase, I speculate that a 130 (or 140) may feel more balanced. I have a 170mm OneUp dropper that I can slam to the seat collar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klatekin View Post

Size Medium
    Fox 34 140mm 44mm offset
    Shimano XT brakes
    Bike Yoke Revive 185
    What crank length are you using?

And @JCBs, pedal strikes occasionally happened through the rocks for me when my Honzo was running a 140mm Revelation with 175mm cranks with 2.5/2.3 Minions. I am going to rebuild it as a 27.5 bike with a 160mm fork, 2.6 Minions and 165mm cranks. I test fit some 27.5 2.6s and a 160mm Yari and the bb height was ~12". I just have to wait until the paychecks from a new job start rolling in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    What crank length are you using?

And @JCBs, pedal strikes happened through the rocks for me when my Honzo was running a 140mm Revelation with 175mm cranks with 2.5/2.3 Minions. I am going to rebuild it as a 27.5 bike with a 160mm fork, 2.6 Minions and 165mm cranks. I test fit some 27.5 2.6s and a 160mm Yari and the bb height was ~12". I just have to wait until the paychecks from a new job start rolling in.
    Iím using 175mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Anyone riding Ibis 938 rims or wheels? I need new inexpensive wheelset and these seem well reviewed. Trying to figure out if the 4mm increase in width will be too big with a 2.5 aggressor on the rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    Anyone riding Ibis 938 rims or wheels? I need new inexpensive wheelset and these seem well reviewed. Trying to figure out if the 4mm increase in width will be too big with a 2.5 aggressor on the rear.
    I am interested in those wheels too

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by deerkiller View Post
    i had similar questions when i was doing my custom build. my lbs mechanic said everything would be fine. i went with a 2018 big honzo. 130/160 fork. i wanted to make sure i had plenty of travel and plenty of tire clearance.
    Just saw this, not sure why I missed it. But yes, bought my big honzo as a frame only.

mtbr member
    Just purchased a 2018 honzo cr frame that I will be running as a SS. I want to run a rigid fork and the longest A to C I can find is the niner rdo carbon fork. I know that is sag corrected to a 100mm travel fork. I am wondering how close I would be to 120mm sag corrected if I ran a 29x3.0 on the front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Just purchased a 2018 honzo cr frame that I will be running as a SS. I want to run a rigid fork and the longest A to C I can find is the niner rdo carbon fork. I know that is sag corrected to a 100mm travel fork. I am wondering how close I would be to 120mm sag corrected if I ran a 29x3.0 on the front.
    I've used an MRP Rock Solid 490 on my Ti with great success if that's any help. It's a really sturdy fork and the thing climbs like a rocket with it on.

mtbr member
    Heads up for anyone looking for a new small 2018 steel frame for a screaming deal:

https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...-frame-sm.html
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Heads up for anyone looking for a new small 2018 steel frame for a screaming deal:

https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...-frame-sm.html
    Wow. It's almost free.

mtbr member
    Not a bad deal either for large carbons:
    https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...-frame-lg.html
    Thinning the herd
    16 Honzo DL
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Thinking about picking up a fatty...at my LBS. Not in a bar. Any of you lovers of the Honzo ever think about picking up a Wozo, based on your love of the Honzo?

mtbr member
    Thinking about picking up a fatty...at my LBS. Not in a bar. Any of you lovers of the Honzo ever think about picking up a Wozo, based on your love of the Honzo?
    OH yes, would love to, but cannot justify it. But it motivated me to build a 27+ wheelset for my honzo ti... To at least have a tiny bit of wozo/big honzo flavor.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    OH yes, would love to, but cannot justify it. But it motivated me to build a 27+ wheelset for my honzo ti... To at least have a tiny bit of wozo/big honzo flavor.
    You raise a valid point. Is it even worth getting a Wozo given the potential overlap? In hindsight, I think a Wozo would have been a better choice for me than the Honzo, but time will tell. I am still waiting for my fork from Fox so I have not logged a single mile on the Honzo yet.

If I donít get a Wozo, I will likely throw down on a Norco of one variety or another (Ithaqua, Sasquatch or Bigfoot). The biggest fundamental difference between the Wozo and the Norcos is tire size (3.8 vs 4.8) and rim size (27.5 vs 26, and a lot narrower id on the Wozo). The Wozo doesnít even really seem like a fat bike per se. More like a super plus 27.5.

*ok...back on topic...Honzo builds. Carry on*

mtbr member
    Kona has a couple of different year Wozo frames on sale right now. Also some really good deals on a variety of other Kona frames.

https://konabikes.com/shop/bike-shop...rames.html?p=1

Thanks ATXZJ for pointing me in that direction.

mtbr member
    You raise a valid point. Is it even worth getting a Wozo given the potential overlap? In hindsight, I think a Wozo would have been a better choice for me than the Honzo, but time will tell. I am still waiting for my fork from Fox so I have not logged a single mile on the Honzo yet.

If I donít get a Wozo, I will likely throw down on a Norco of one variety or another (Ithaqua, Sasquatch or Bigfoot). The biggest fundamental difference between the Wozo and the Norcos is tire size (3.8 vs 4.8) and rim size (27.5 vs 26, and a lot narrower id on the Wozo). The Wozo doesnít even really seem like a fat bike per se. More like a super plus 27.5.

*ok...back on topic...Honzo builds. Carry on*
    yes, the 2019 is 27fat. i prefer that one to the 2018 26fat, by the looks of it. I'd buy the full build and swap the hubs and brakes for purple hopes. That would be awesome

you bought the 30y limited edition, and changes a lot of things right away, iirc? any pics yet?

cheers!

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    yes, the 2019 is 27fat. i prefer that one to the 2018 26fat, by the looks of it. I'd buy the full build and swap the hubs and brakes for purple hopes. That would be awesome

you bought the 30y limited edition, and changes a lot of things right away, iirc? any pics yet?

cheers!
    Yes. That is indeed me.

I swapped the brakes for 4 pot XTs, the drivetrain to an XT shifter and XT rear d, the crank to a RaceFace Turbine (with the new RaceFace oval ring), the bar to a RaceFace SixC, the dropper to a Fox Factory Transfer with Wolftooth remote, the fork to a Fox Factory 34 (at 140mm), and some other stuff too.

Still waiting for the fork. Everything else is done. Just trying to decide if I should swap out the 2.3 DHFs for something beefier (whatever I get will be run tubeless).

I will post some pics once I get my bike finished and back in my hands.

mtbr member
    Yes. That is indeed me.

I swapped the brakes for 4 pot XTs, the drivetrain to an XT shifter and XT rear d, the crank to a RaceFace Turbine (with the new RaceFace oval ring), the bar to a RaceFace SixC, the dropper to a Fox Factory Transfer with Wolftooth remote, the fork to a Fox Factory 34 (at 140mm), and some other stuff too.

Still waiting for the fork. Everything else is done. Just trying to decide if I should swap out the 2.3 DHFs for something beefier (whatever I get will be run tubeless).

I will post some pics once I get my bike finished and back in my hands.
    That sounds like a bling build. Looking forward to the pics. So did you dismantle the stock build and sell all the components you won't need? How does that black chrome finish look in real life?
    regarding tires, what do you have on your mind?
    I currently run DHF 2.5 in front and 2.3 rear on wtb asym i29 rims, but already bought another DHF 2.5 for the rear. I'm wondering if the nobby nic's in 2.6 would be a good choice as well. I guess I'll have to give that a go sooner rather than later.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    That sounds like a bling build. Looking forward to the pics. So did you dismantle the stock build and sell all the components you won't need? How does that black chrome finish look in real life?
    regarding tires, what do you have on your mind?
    I currently run DHF 2.5 in front and 2.3 rear on wtb asym i29 rims, but already bought another DHF 2.5 for the rear. I'm wondering if the nobby nic's in 2.6 would be a good choice as well. I guess I'll have to give that a go sooner rather than later.
    I will respond more fully shortly (a meeting at work is interrupting these much more important things in my life).

As for a bling build, no. This is intended to be a utilitarian, fiscally responsible build. XT, stock wheelset, Turbine crank, etc. I was trying to keep it real on this. Now...the bike I bought earlier this year...yikes. That was NOT a utilitarian build. Nor was it fiscally responsible. It was downright dumb. Whatever. Life is short.