Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here - Page 31- Mtbr.com
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031
Results 6,001 to 6,158 of 6158
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks, I ride a CR also and was wondering about this. I wonder if a person went to 140 and installed a 1 degree slacker angle headset. ST and BB would be back to normal but would really slacken HT?
    Anyone who thinks the BB is low, That's how bikes are now. Once you get used to pedal strikes then you rarely notice them.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by atkrocket View Post
    I have a 2019 KONA Honzo CR with a DVO Sapphire fork on it set to 140. I didnít ride it in the 120 setting but I can tell you it feels.....different. It just feels like itís not supposed to be that way. Still a great bike but Iím pretty sure it was meant to be a 120 hardtail.
    If you haven't ridden it in any other configuration, how can it feel different?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Thanks, I ride a CR also and was wondering about this. I wonder if a person went to 140 and installed a 1 degree slacker angle headset. ST and BB would be back to normal but would really slacken HT?
    Anyone who thinks the BB is low, That's how bikes are now. Once you get used to pedal strikes then you rarely notice them.
    Not in all cases, depends on how low the BB is. Bigger tires, longer fork, shorter cranks, etc. all help to eliminate pedal strikes on bikes with a BB that's too low.

It depends on what bike you're coming off of, the terrain you ride, what bike you're on now, and your level of experience. Lots of variables. Some people are able to adapt, others give up and buy a new bike.

I hate pedal striking and don't notice a huge benefit in handling because of a super low BB, so I've resorted to all of the above to modify a couple bikes that are too low. I've also tried a +15mm lower headset cup (on a mid travel trail bike) which was too much, the front end got real light on steep climbs and it still didn't resolve the problem. Currently using a +7mm crown race on that bike but I ended up buying shorter cranks too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    If you haven't ridden it in any other configuration, how can it feel different?
    Fair enough, but it still feels like something is off. Maybe I have the fork set up wrong, maybe itís the wrong size, I canít place my finger on it. Like I said, itís still a great bike. To be fair Iíve ridden 120mm hardtails and itís definitely slacker, that could be what Iím feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi everyone,

I'm building a 2019 Honzo ST. I have a question about brake adapters. I have shimano XT BR-M8000 brakes/rotos - 180/160. I noticed I need an adapter to mount the rear brake and not sure which one to order...does anyone have any insight in regards to this?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronb0t View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm building a 2019 Honzo ST. I have a question about brake adapters. I have shimano XT BR-M8000 brakes/rotos - 180/160. I noticed I need an adapter to mount the rear brake and not sure which one to order...does anyone have any insight in regards to this?
    IS 160 rear

https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-16...-Brake-Adaptor
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I ride mine with a fox 34 at 130mm and it feels great. Someone a few (or many) posts back tested their honzo at 120, 130, and 140mm and liked 130mm the best. I took him at his word and stopped thinking about putting a 140mm air spring in mine since 130 does feel good to me. It makes the head angle ~67.5* which feels good to me since itís the fun bike while my others are xc race bikes.

On the other hand, a guy at one of my local bike shops rides a honzo st with a 160mm fork on it and likes it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I've been running a 140mm pike on my 2017 Honzo Ti... Love it. I've been racing XC on it with no complaints, but don't have to modify anything when I want to hit some aggressive desert trails here in Fruita, CO or Moab, UT. I did flip the riser step so that it was a drop instead of a rise, and running a softer sag with more bottomless tokens so that it rests a bit deeper in its travel and is soft off the top with the end-stroke support. If you get your shock dialed in so that it isn't too firm off the top and sits a bit lower with the sag I think it is a wonderful set-up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cirecc View Post
    I ride mine with a fox 34 at 130mm and it feels great. Someone a few (or many) posts back tested their honzo at 120, 130, and 140mm and liked 130mm the best. I took him at his word and stopped thinking about putting a 140mm air spring in mine since 130 does feel good to me. It makes the head angle ~67.5* which feels good to me since itís the fun bike while my others are xc race bikes.

On the other hand, a guy at one of my local bike shops rides a honzo st with a 160mm fork on it and likes it.
    Same here on the 130mm compromise. I also ran a works headset to slacken it out a bit more and steepen the STA back up.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

B.Ike
    nevermind

Bnerd
    Here's how my 2019 HonzoST is currently set up.
    I've put some me WTB Nano 2.1 on another wheelset for road riding here in Whistler. Both Squamish and Pemberton have asked that people stop visiting their communities if you don't live there. Same for Whistler.
    Unfortunately, in Whistler there's still about a meter of snow in the valley and a fresh 5cm on the ground today so trail riding is still a ways off.

I was trail riding in both Squamish and Pemberton up until a week ago then all the local governments put out the message to stay in your own community. So, I'm complying and getting my miles in on the road currently.

Not much has changed since the last update I posted in September last year.
    I'm contemplating getting a Chromag FU40 bar (40mm rise) as they now are made at 800mm. Which means a new stem because of the 31.8mm clamp. I'd go with a Chromag Ranger V.2 60mm stem.

The Honzo looks weird with skinny tires!

My two sets so that I can swap between if the trails clear of snow here.

So much room!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My new 2020 DL. Have wanted a Honzo for years, scooped this up on the cheap. My Girlfriend liked it so much we went and found her a leftover 2019.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-16a6a48d-fbcb-4d4f-9fe0-186627027a6a.jpeg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-ded29639-b6c4-4fbf-9906-253c1e6e4bc5.jpeg  

Last edited by KonaJon; 04-01-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Wanna ride bikes?
    ^ pics didn't load for me.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I updated it, hopefully it worked, mtbr is a nightmare to use on my phone. As far as specifics for the builds go the 2019 is a completely stock 2019 dl. My 2020, not as much, I bought the bike second hand but the frame was brand new and everything else extremely lightly used.

2020 Large Honzo DL frame
    Fox 34 130mm performance elite fork
    Cane creek 40 headset
    Sram 11 speed GX shifter, cassette and chain
    Sram GX eagle cranks and dub bb, 34 tooth chain ring
    Raceface Arc 27 wheels with Novatec hubs (hubs are on the list for upgrade)
    Deity bars and stem
    Guide RS brakes
    Brand-X dropper with wolf tooth remote
    One up composite pedals
    Oneup EDC pump, tool and plug and plier kit
    2.25 conti raceking in the rear, 2.25 Maxxis rekon now on the front, tubeless. Swapped these tires on because it is really my commuter/around town and local trail bike I have other full suspension bikes for when I drive to trails.

Here is another pic with the tires that were on it when I got it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-870dfd66-d786-4cc7-844b-9bca051f981c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but how is the Big Honzo mullet style? Thinking 27.5+ in the rear (2.8 or if a 3.0 will fit) and 29x2.6 up front. Maybe 130mm fork depending on HTA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    27.5+ combined with 29 is not really mullet, the 27.5+ tires are very close in size to 29inch especially if you use a 3.0.

mtbr member
    I have the Honzo ST and I'm running it 27.5x2.8 in the back and 27.5x30 in the front. It's not a mullet but I like it. I'm tempted to try 29x2.8 in the back.

mtbr member
    How much clearance do you have on the 27.5 x 2.8? Iím running 29x2.6 Hans dampfs and I wouldnít want to go any bigger. It has enough clearance but not really any to spare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cirecc View Post
    How much clearance do you have on the 27.5 x 2.8? Iím running 29x2.6 Hans dampfs and I wouldnít want to go any bigger. It has enough clearance but not really any to spare.
    It basically has zero clearance on the side . But plenty up front. It is definitely not ideal. I'll probably go back to 29ers. Probably 2.6 like yourself. Maybe I'll try a 2.8 front/2.6 back combo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quick question - anyone running 29" WTB tires on a ST Honzo? Wondering what max width will fit in the rear? I have a trail boss 2.4" and it LOOKS like I might be able to fit a 2.5 or 2.6" back there but I don't want to buy one if I am not sure yet. Thanks!

Jan 2017
    I have a '17 ST with boost spacing. I'm running Terravail Honcho 29x2.6 in front and rear, with a comfortable amount of clearance in the rear.

Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aan View Post
    Quick question - anyone running 29" WTB tires on a ST Honzo? Wondering what max width will fit in the rear? I have a trail boss 2.4" and it LOOKS like I might be able to fit a 2.5 or 2.6" back there but I don't want to buy one if I am not sure yet. Thanks!
    I have a '17 ST with boost spacing. I'm running Terravail Honcho 29x2.6 in front and rear, with a comfortable amount of clearance in the rear.

Bnerd
    A bit of bike pr0n.
    I like how the picture turned out. The red really pops.

I picked up some local beers from the brewery after a road ride today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Beginner: bought 2018 Honzo CR

Hi - just ordered a 2018 Honzo CR Trail in large. Iím 6í1Ē 185 lbs. Basically a beginner and getting back into riding a bike in general. I have some decent trails in the backyard of my house in Georgia. Iíve been reading that this Honzo is ďlongĒ In the reach and I have some concerns that it could feel too big, but I guess I will see when it gets here. I felt at a disadvantage since all the shops are closed and I could get on different size and shaped bikes to see what fit, so I kind of feel like I took a shot in the dark.

My bike arrives on Tuesday, and looking forward to getting on it with all this free time. What things will I need to configure and setup when I get it? Is there a good link that can walk me through the different adjustments, setting the front shock etc.

Iím looking forward to figuring out what I like and what possible customizations I can add once I get some miles under me.

Here are the specs:

Frame Material: Kona Carbon Trail

Wheel Size: 29

Wheels: WTB Asym i29 TCS

Fork: RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air 120mm Tapered 110mm Spacing

Crankset: SRAM NX

Drivetrain: SRAM GX 11spd

Cockpit: Kona XC/BC 35 bar and stem, Kona Key Grip

Brakes: SRAM Level T

Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF EXO TR 3C 29x2.3"

Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent EXO TR DUAL 29x2.25"
    Saddle: WTB SL8 Pro

What are the first things that I should be paying attention to to see and evaluate how it feels and if there is something I could customize or upgrade?

I see a lot of people here like the 140mm fork? What feeling should I be looking for to evaluate that?

And seems there are a lot of changes to wider tires. What Size options Could I look at and why what would ďneeding a wider tireĒ feel like?

Are there any other of my components that are lower on the scale and would be first to upgrade? I know Iím just getting into it, but I like to think about and be aware of these type things.

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have a '19 CR in a large. Same frame and I am 6 foot with a 32" inseam. Your sizing will be good..
    I assume that a shop is building it for you? Go to the sram site for the fork setup. Do you have a shock pump?

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    I have a '19 CR in a large. Same frame and I am 6 foot with a 32"
    inseam. Your sizing will be good..
    I assume that a shop is building it for you? Go to the sram site for the fork setup. Do you have a shock pump?

I have a normal air pump, but I assume thatís not a shock pump, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicmatters View Post
    Hi - just ordered a 2018 Honzo CR Trail in large. Iím 6í1Ē 185 lbs. Basically a beginner and getting back into riding a bike in general. I have some decent trails in the backyard of my house in Georgia. Iíve been reading that this Honzo is ďlongĒ In the reach and I have some concerns that it could feel too big, but I guess I will see when it gets here. I felt at a disadvantage since all the shops are closed and I could get on different size and shaped bikes to see what fit, so I kind of feel like I took a shot in the dark.

My bike arrives on Tuesday, and looking forward to getting on it with all this free time. What things will I need to configure and setup when I get it? Is there a good link that can walk me through the different adjustments, setting the front shock etc.

Iím looking forward to figuring out what I like and what possible customizations I can add once I get some miles under me.

Here are the specs:

Frame Material: Kona Carbon Trail

Wheel Size: 29

Wheels: WTB Asym i29 TCS

Fork: RockShox Revelation RC Solo Air 120mm Tapered 110mm Spacing

Crankset: SRAM NX

Drivetrain: SRAM GX 11spd

Cockpit: Kona XC/BC 35 bar and stem, Kona Key Grip

Brakes: SRAM Level T

Front Tire: Maxxis Minion DHF EXO TR 3C 29x2.3"

Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent EXO TR DUAL 29x2.25"
    Saddle: WTB SL8 Pro

What are the first things that I should be paying attention to to see and evaluate how it feels and if there is something I could customize or upgrade?

I see a lot of people here like the 140mm fork? What feeling should I be looking for to evaluate that?

And seems there are a lot of changes to wider tires. What Size options Could I look at and why what would ďneeding a wider tireĒ feel like?

Are there any other of my components that are lower on the scale and would be first to upgrade? I know Iím just getting into it, but I like to think about and be aware of these type things.

Thanks in advance!!
    Congratulations!

I think the large will be just the right size. Iím 6í and have a large honzo st and it fits well.

I think tires are always the biggest difference maker, particularly if those are the stock tires. OEM versions seem to always be heavier and slower than the higher level versions of the same tires youíd buy separately. Since youíre just starting out, I would wait to upgrade anything until you know what you want and like. The first things I change on my bikes are grips, handlebar, tires, and I put on pedals that I know I like. However, I am going into it knowing what I want and where I want to spend money on upgrades (sometimes, itís just swapping it from the previous bike to the newer one).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm 5'10, and ride a medium 2019 CR Trail. I had to put a 15mm longer stem on to get my fit right.

On the bike you're getting, the first change I would make is to replace the Level T brakes. I found them under powered and really didn't like the lever feel (I had them on a different bike, not the Honzo; you're mileage may vary). I'd go shimano SLX or XT, but Sram Guides or G2s would better than the Levels.

For tires, I tried an Ardent 2.4 in the rear, it fit, but with very little clearance, and I did get some rubbing on the frame when riding. I've got 2.4 Teravail Honchos front and rear now, on 25mm internal width rims, and those fit fine.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicmatters View Post
    Nothing. Just ride it.

Set the sag on the fork and just go ride it. Ride it a lot.

In time you will begin to form an opinion on what you like, want, need, etc. but nothing needs upgrading out of the box. It's a really great bike.

Work on your handling skills and fitness. You don't need to upgrade anything.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I ran my brakes for a season then changed to xt's. The level t's are not the best but will do for now.
    I agree about tires. Look to see what other people in your area are using.
    And yes you will want a proper shock pump.
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Gyio-Alloy-Shock-Pump-W-Gauge

mtbr member
    Nothing. Just ride it.

Set the sag on the fork and just go ride it. Ride it a lot.

In time you will begin to form an opinion on what you like, want, need, etc. but nothing needs upgrading out of the box. It's a really great bike.

Work on your handling skills and fitness. You don't need to upgrade anything.
    This

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Converted my '17 CR DL to rigid SS, 20lb w/ dropper and fun as hell:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20200418_122402.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200418_122402.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	497.8 KB 
ID:	1326225
    Now that's rad. What fork is that?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Fork is from RSD. 510 A2C, I was coming off 140mm Pike which I liked and this feels really good.

Monkey
    Apr 2004
    Morning!

Might have been asked a 1000 times, but as far as fits:

I'm 6'-1" and looking at a large 2019 Honzo ST (used).

Will the large be long enough?

My other bike is a XL 2017 Transition Scout, seat forward and 35mm stem. Was feeling a bit long with the stock 50mm stem, now fit is perfect and roomy.

reach on the XL Scout is 483mm
    reach on the L Honzo ST is 475
    reach on the XL Honzo ST is 510

All of this is pointing to large, am I wrong?

J.

mtbr member
    Iím 6í (33Ē inseam) and ride a large ST very comfortably. I think, given how you felt on the transition, the large is definitely the choice you should make (my opinion of course), especially since the xl honzo is quite a bit longer. The large is just 8mm shorter than your scout which can be adjusted to fit with your stem, stack, and handlebar height and sweep.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I am 6í1 and ride a large, could not imagine wanting anything longer. Also basic math says yes, if the Scout felt too long with a 50mm stem and you knocked 15 mm off Your front end that means a Large Honzo with 50mm stem will still end up 7mm longer than your Scout at 525mm vs 518mm

Monkey
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaJon View Post
    I am 6í1 and ride a large, could not imagine wanting anything longer. Also basic math says yes, if the Scout felt too long with a 50mm stem and you knocked 15 mm off Your front end that means a Large Honzo with 50mm stem will still end up 7mm longer than your Scout at 525mm vs 518mm
    Indeed.
    Large seems perfect. After that just a matter of tweeking with stem length and seat position.

Thanks to you and cirecc.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Morning!

Might have been asked a 1000 times, but as far as fits:

I'm 6'-1" and looking at a large 2019 Honzo ST (used).

Will the large be long enough?

My other bike is a XL 2017 Transition Scout, seat forward and 35mm stem. Was feeling a bit long with the stock 50mm stem, now fit is perfect and roomy.

reach on the XL Scout is 483mm
    reach on the L Honzo ST is 475
    reach on the XL Honzo ST is 510

All of this is pointing to large, am I wrong?

J.
    STA and ETT should also be considered when comparing two bikes. Stack makes a difference too.

Generally I'd say 6'1" is a Large unless you have short legs and long torso and arms or something.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Just sold my '18 Honzo CR and replaced it with a '19 Big Honzo CR.

Got my first solid ride in today. The bike absolutely rips! I'm a big fan of 29x2.6" tires, which was my reason for the frame swap (and stumbled on a deal). My regular Honzo CR barely fit 2.3" tires. The Big Honzo CR fits 29x2.6" with GOBS of clearance. You could easily fit at least 29x2.8" rubber.

The +15mm chainstays (vs. Honzo CR) are still very lively and quick, hardly noticeable.

So surprised we don't see more posts about the carbon Honzo's (Big and regular). They are insanely fun bikes. The ST are sweet for sure, but that weight!

Built weight is right at 25 lbs with:

Ibis 938 (I9) Wheels
    Teravail 29 x 2.6" Honcho L&S
    GX Drivetrain
    Raceface Next R Crank/Bar
    GX Eagle Drivetrain
    XTR Brakes/Pedals
    OneUp V2 150mm Dropper (in-bound)

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_3325.jpg
    Big Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo Squishie | RLT 9 Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    Just sold my '18 Honzo CR and replaced it with a '19 Big Honzo CR.

Got my first solid ride in today. The bike absolutely rips! I'm a big fan of 29x2.6" tires, which was my reason for the frame swap (and stumbled on a deal). My regular Honzo CR barely fit 2.3" tires. The Big Honzo CR fits 29x2.6" with GOBS of clearance. You could easily fit at least 29x2.8" rubber.

The +15mm chainstays (vs. Honzo CR) are still very lively and quick, hardly noticeable.

So surprised we don't see more posts about the carbon Honzo's (Big and regular). They are insanely fun bikes. The ST are sweet for sure, but that weight!

Built weight is right at 25 lbs with:

Ibis 938 (I9) Wheels
    Teravail 29 x 2.6" Honcho L&S
    GX Drivetrain
    Raceface Next R Crank/Bar
    GX Eagle Drivetrain
    XTR Brakes/Pedals
    OneUp V2 150mm Dropper (in-bound)
    Nice, agree with the lack of love for the carbon bikes, mine has been awesome. Looking at my Strava I have ~10k mi on my '17 normal carbon Honzo...still hasn't missed a beat despite many of those miles being where hardtails don't belong (as Honzos do!).

mtbr member
    Looking at my Strava I have ~10k mi on my '17 normal carbon Honzo...
    Nice, serious miles for a Ď17 MTB.

Thatís the all black one right? A beauty.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Just spent a lot of my weekend flicking through this thread! Excellent info and lovely bikes! 👍

Iím currently searching for a playful hardtail. Something I can play on at the pump track, homemade jumps in the woods but also a leisurely trail ride now and again. My ebike will remain my goto for most trail duties.

The Honzo ST looks ideal. I have found a 2019 frame at a good price but it is a medium. I am 6ft / 183cm tall. I did intend to size down on this build anyway, to give me a playful, dirt jumper-style ride and also the added versatility of my girlfriend or visitors being able to use it but will it likely be too small for me? My last bike was a large Santa Cruz 5010 V2 with 445mm reach. Always felt nice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tombar View Post
    Just spent a lot of my weekend flicking through this thread! Excellent info and lovely bikes! 👍

Iím currently searching for a playful hardtail. Something I can play on at the pump track, homemade jumps in the woods but also a leisurely trail ride now and again. My ebike will remain my goto for most trail duties.

The Honzo ST looks ideal. I have found a 2019 frame at a good price but it is a medium. I am 6ft / 183cm tall. I did intend to size down on this build anyway, to give me a playful, dirt jumper-style ride and also the added versatility of my girlfriend or visitors being able to use it but will it likely be too small for me? My last bike was a large Santa Cruz 5010 V2 with 445mm reach. Always felt nice.

You're 6' tall, get a Large, you'll be much happier.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    You're 6' tall, get a Large, you'll be much happier.
    Thanks for the reply. Just concerned that going longer on the reach compared to the 5010 will lose the playful nature Iím looking for. Even the medium framed Honzo ST has a slightly longer reach than my Santa Cruz and that bike never felt short in any way.

Or is there a geometry stat that I am overlooking that will make the Kona feel too small?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thanks for the reply. Just concerned that going longer on the reach compared to the 5010 will lose the playful nature Iím looking for. Even the medium framed Honzo ST has a slightly longer reach than my Santa Cruz and that bike never felt short in any way.

Or is there a geometry stat that I am overlooking that will make the Kona feel too small?
    Yeah, a steeper STA and a shorter stem.

With modern geometry the numbers look very different on an online geometry chart, but a Large is still a large, and a medium is still too small for a guy that's 6' tall. You'll understand this better as soon as you sit on one.

Never single out a single dimension on a bike, there are many many variables and they all need to be considered together.

Trust me, or rather trust Kona, they know what they're doing when they design a bike.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Just spent a lot of my weekend flicking through this thread! Excellent info and lovely bikes! 

I'm 6' and I ride a large 2019 Honzo ST (I've also owned a 2019 aluminum Honzo).

The bike fits great, I too was worried about the reach, so I went and rode (and bought) the Aluminum large, and ultimately built up the Large ST.

As has been mentioned, Kona has done their homework designing this bike, the reach numbers do appear (on paper) long, but once it's balanced with the rest of the geometry, the bike feels stable, balanced and well rounded.
    20 Trek Fuel EX 8
    19 Surly Wednesday
    20 Salsa Journeyman 700c
    I'm too old to care....and it shows.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks guys. Completely understand the ďtrust KonaĒ advice, just getting a bit bogged down in the numbers, as on paper the medium Honzo looks very similar to a bike I was happy on.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-4c6871dd-8c03-4a00-8bc8-4816a085cb98.jpg

Are the geo numbers of the green 2019 identical to the grey 2020s?

I canít lie, there is also part of me that really WANTS the medium to be right, because otherwise a Honzo ST isnít going to happen and Iíll have to switch attention to another frame. Not been able to locate another frameset in large (in Europe) and the 2020 completes arenít up to scratch for my planned build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks guys. Completely understand the ďtrust KonaĒ advice, just getting a bit bogged down in the numbers, as on paper the medium Honzo looks very similar to a bike I was happy on.

Name:	4C6871DD-8C03-4A00-8BC8-4816A085CB98.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	1329553

Are the geo numbers of the green 2019 identical to the grey 2020s?

I canít lie, there is also part of me that really WANTS the medium to be right, because otherwise a Honzo ST isnít going to happen and Iíll have to switch attention to another frame. Not been able to locate another frameset in large (in Europe) and the 2020 completes arenít up to scratch for my planned build.
    You can't just compare reach when it comes to the newer frames. You also have to take into account what stem you were using with the old bike. After all a 450 reach with 60mm stem will be just as long as one with 470 reach with 40mm stem. The new longer and slacker bikes are all designed around very short stems.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    You can't just compare reach when it comes to the newer frames. You also have to take into account what stem you were using with the old bike. After all a 450 reach with 60mm stem will be just as long as one with 470 reach with 40mm stem. The new longer and slacker bikes are all designed around very short stems.

Understand that. Sorry, should have mentioned I had a 35mm stem on the 5010.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Whoa so you are on a 445 reach 5010 with 35mm stem and 6ft tall? Damn that is one tiny frame.

Have you tried out a modern longer bike?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Whoa so you are on a 445 reach 5010 with 35mm stem and 6ft tall? Damn that is one tiny frame.

Have you tried out a modern longer bike?

It was a 2018 frame. I would consider that quite modern although SC donít tend to be too radical in their geo. Fit like a glove to me.

Iím now on a 2020 Specialized Kenevo Expert S4 with a 493mm reach (77 STA / 64 HTA). Also fits like a glove but itís obviously a different beast (180mm dual crown DH EMTB) and a very different ride to what I want from this hardtail build. Looking for flickable and playful, not long and stable.

Maybe the medium would indeed fit the bill if my 5010 is considered a small bike. Certainly never felt small to me.

I have never ridden a 29er though. Am I barking up the wrong tree with my intended use here? Hadnít been considering wagon wheels until I stumbled across the Honzo ST and then I was hooked on this frame.

Wanna ride bikes?
    You're also not considering Stack height or ETT. Like I said lots of important data points, don't look at one or two numbers and expect to know how it will fit.

Also, like I said before, you should be on a Large. Period.

I'm out, good luck.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I always size up as I prefer super short stems and the stability a longer wheelbase at offers speed and steeps.

Rest is up to you
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm 5'9 and ride a medium. I could ride a large comfortably without losing the playful aspect. Reason I ride a medium is to maximize my dropper post, as a large has a taller seat tube. In fact, i had a large ST before I got my medium AL.

As an aside:

I upgraded my fork to a Pike Ultimate in silver. Such a great fork for this bike. I also have a 12 speed XTR kit en route for this steed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    29ers are big bikes for sure but honestly you will get used to it after a couple rides. I used to be on the 27.5 train until I got my first 29er. Don't believe anyone who says you can't whip around a 29er. I think a lot of that has to do with people running wide tires even with 29ers. I just don't see the need to run something like a 2.6 on a 29er. 2.3-2.4 tires give you all the traction and then some that a big 27.5 does but without feeling like rolling a tractor.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Youll get a 2.6 if youre not running youre wheel all the way forward but not much room for error!

mtbr member
    Hi there,
    yeah, looks like only S and M frames are available around here, at least in the online shops that I know carry Konas.
    I'm 179cm and have a 2016 Honzo Ti in L (reach on paper 460) with a 150mm fork, and a 2013 ST in M (reach 435) with a 120 fork. I regularly switch between the two. They are obviously very different, nevertheless both are still in the acceptable range. I went to Saalbach and also did two 3 day trips across Slovenia with the ST before I got the TI. Everything was well managable.
    In my opinion it comes down to your priorities: if you want the Honzo real bad, get the M and I'm sure you'll be fine with it. If you're afraid that the M is too short, I'd take a look at the Nordest Britagno TR, which is quite similar in numbers, available in 3 sizes, and currently retails for 399 Euros including EU wide shipping.
    https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/britango-tr-frame
    Or their Bardino for more aggressive riding.
    https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/bardino-2-frame
    Finally for something much more radical, On-One still has the rebranded sick bike frames online: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOHD...llo-dave-frame

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Hi there,
    yeah, looks like only S and M frames are available around here, at least in the online shops that I know carry Konas.
    I'm 179cm and have a 2016 Honzo Ti in L (reach on paper 460) with a 150mm fork, and a 2013 ST in M (reach 435) with a 120 fork. I regularly switch between the two. They are obviously very different, nevertheless both are still in the acceptable range. I went to Saalbach and also did two 3 day trips across Slovenia with the ST before I got the TI. Everything was well managable.
    In my opinion it comes down to your priorities: if you want the Honzo real bad, get the M and I'm sure you'll be fine with it. If you're afraid that the M is too short, I'd take a look at the Nordest Britagno TR, which is quite similar in numbers, available in 3 sizes, and currently retails for 399 Euros including EU wide shipping.
    https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/britango-tr-frame
    Or their Bardino for more aggressive riding.
    https://nordestcycles.com/en/product/bardino-2-frame
    Finally for something much more radical, On-One still has the rebranded sick bike frames online: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOHD...llo-dave-frame

Hope this helps.
    Very interesting about the Nordest Britango. Hadnít looked at that before.

Seems like your large 2016 Ti isnít much longer in reach than the current medium STs. Still tempted to just give it a whirl with the medium Honzo and if itís really not right sell the frame and rebuild with something else.

Thanks for all the input guys. Guess I just have to bite the bullet one way or the other. Iíll certainly be back on here with an update if the decision swings towards the Kona.

mtbr member
    Very interesting about the Nordest Britango. Hadnít looked at that before.

Seems like your large 2016 Ti isnít much longer in reach than the current medium STs. Still tempted to just give it a whirl with the medium Honzo and if itís really not right sell the frame and rebuild with something else.

Thanks for all the input guys. Guess I just have to bite the bullet one way or the other. Iíll certainly be back on here with an update if the decision swings towards the Kona.
    Hey!
    You're welcome - glad to help out. You're right the 2016 L was only a tad longer than the current M. And with the 150mm fork, the reach is even shorter than the 460 on paper.
    I'd most probably also build up the Honzo if I was in your shoes, and see how it works out for me. The big advantage over most other frames is the sliding dropouts (I ride my ST as a single speed). I trust you saw that probikeshop.com sells the 2019 frame for about 500 euros, depending on where you're located. Be sure to keep us posted on whatever you roll with!
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzSolo View Post
    Youll get a 2.6 if youre not running youre wheel all the way forward but not much room for error!
    2.8 Cake Eater just fits in my 2017 Honzo ST with dropouts to longest setting. No room for mud

mtbr member
    May 2020
    So, I bit the bullet and bought the medium 2019 Honzo ST. Weíll see how the fit is when it arrives. If itís too small itíll be flipped and something else will have to take its place but fingers crossed it should give me the playful ride Iím looking for.

Now the fun part...deciding on the build.

First question is regarding fork travel and headset.
    Apologies if itís already been answered but is there a preferred combo? I was leaning towards a 140mm Pike fork. Would a 1degree Works angleset suit this travel well or do most go slacker?

Works Components seem to be the go-to angleset on the forums. Are there any others I should bother looking at?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I'm 5'11'' on a M Honzo Ti from 2017, 140mm pike, no reduced angle headset. It is a short bike for me, but it is the playful hardtail that I wanted and it always a blast to ride. I could see going a degree slacker with the headset, but I wouldn't want anything more than that personally. The quick, snappy, poppy feeling for dirt jumps and extra credit trial side jibs is just too much fun! I do run the sag slightly softer than I normally would, and have nearly maxed out the bottomless tokens for a nice firm ramp. Enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I run a 130mm fox 34 on my Large 2020 DL with no angleset. Personally I would not go any slacker if I were you, it is just going to reduce the reach even more on that medium. I am 6í tall as well and my girlfriend has a medium 2019 DL and it feels tiny to me when I get on it, I hope it works out for you.

mtbr member
    So, I bit the bullet and bought the medium 2019 Honzo ST. Weíll see how the fit is when it arrives. If itís too small itíll be flipped and something else will have to take its place but fingers crossed it should give me the playful ride Iím looking for.

Now the fun part...deciding on the build.

First question is regarding fork travel and headset.
    Apologies if itís already been answered but is there a preferred combo? I was leaning towards a 140mm Pike fork. Would a 1degree Works angleset suit this travel well or do most go slacker?

Works Components seem to be the go-to angleset on the forums. Are there any others I should bother looking at?
    Excellent! Congrats! Where did you order it?

I have the superstar components slackerizer. It's only available as a 2į version, but for me it was perfect. It's a ways cheaper than works components,bith product and delivery (5 quid to Austria).
    RideEverything uses a 160mm fork with a 2į angleset AFAIK.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamboatSteamer View Post
    I'm 5'11'' on a M Honzo Ti from 2017, 140mm pike, no reduced angle headset. It is a short bike for me, but it is the playful hardtail that I wanted and it always a blast to ride. I could see going a degree slacker with the headset, but I wouldn't want anything more than that personally. The quick, snappy, poppy feeling for dirt jumps and extra credit trial side jibs is just too much fun! I do run the sag slightly softer than I normally would, and have nearly maxed out the bottomless tokens for a nice firm ramp. Enjoy the build!
    Exactly the ride I want from it 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Excellent! Congrats! Where did you order it?

I have the superstar components slackerizer. It's only available as a 2į version, but for me it was perfect. It's a ways cheaper than works components,bith product and delivery (5 quid to Austria).
    RideEverything uses a 160mm fork with a 2į angleset AFAIK.
    Probikeshop.com - it was the only place I could find one in stock.

Shame Superstar donít offer other types. I think 2 degrees might be a bit too much for me. Donít want to lose too much of the quick, nimble handling.

mtbr member
    Exactly the ride I want from it 👍

Probikeshop.com - it was the only place I could find one in stock.

Shame Superstar donít offer other types. I think 2 degrees might be a bit too much for me. Donít want to lose too much of the quick, nimble handling.
    Great stuff, good to hear you ordered from them. I bought my 2013 ST honzo and a 2016 AL from them. Great prices, fast delivery, good service. Good luck building up that bad boy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2019 Honzo ST

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2019-honzo-1.jpg

Just got done with this one:

12 speed SLX drivetrain and brakes
    XT wheels
    Marzocchi Bomber Z2 140mm
    PNW Rainier dropper
    Most of the other stuff is Raceface Chester

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by saukit View Post

Name:	2019 Honzo 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	530.9 KB 
ID:	1331491

Just got done with this one:

12 speed SLX drivetrain and brakes
    XT wheels
    Marzocchi Bomber Z2 140mm
    PNW Rainier dropper
    Most of the other stuff is Raceface Chester
    How's the rail damper? Set it and forget it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I haven't ridden the bike yet unfortunately. Up in the PNW with closed trails until this weekend and quite frankly there will be so many people out this weekend I'm not planning to get this one dirty until next week. Maybe wait for rain

I'm hoping the fork is set and forget, one of the reasons I bought it is my fond memories of the old school Marzocchi forks. I had an 888RC2 that was butter.

Anyway once I have a chance to bash on it a bit I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am looking for some input on fork offset for my 2020 Honzo CR build.

The two forks I am debating are the Fox 34 SC, and the new RS SID ultimate. Fox is available in 44mm and 51mm, and it looks like the new SID is only available in 44mm.

kona website shows 51mm for all frame sizes, how will a 44mm effect handling? I will be running a 35mm stem fwiw.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by highrlr View Post
    I am looking for some input on fork offset for my 2020 Honzo CR build.

The two forks I am debating are the Fox 34 SC, and the new RS SID ultimate. Fox is available in 44mm and 51mm, and it looks like the new SID is only available in 44mm.

kona website shows 51mm for all frame sizes, how will a 44mm effect handling? I will be running a 35mm stem fwiw.
    It will make the bike slightly more stable at speed while steering will be slightly slower at slow speed and very slightly harder to control while climbing steeps.

If you're not making some dramatic change to fork length or HTA the difference will be very minor. Even going from a 51 to a 44 offset only creates something like a 9% difference in feel or something like that.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It will make the bike slightly more stable at speed while steering will be slightly slower at slow speed and very slightly harder to control while climbing steeps.

If you're not making some dramatic change to fork length or HTA the difference will be very minor. Even going from a 51 to a 44 offset only creates something like a 9% difference in feel or something like that.
    Thank you! I figured the difference would be minimal, but want to get it right the first time. So just to clarify, the the greater the offset, the more stable at speed, but slightly slower response at slower speeds?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am also wondering about tire clearance, mainly on the rear, for my honzo CR.

My plan is to run we are one Faction wheels, 27mm internal width. i want to run 29x2.35 maxxis forekaster in the rear, and a 29x2.6 up front. will that combo clear in the rear? doesnt look like a ton of room back there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Definitely not a whole lot of room back there. I don't have experience with the Forekaster, but I tried out a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent Race on my CR, mounted on a Stans Arch rim (25 mm internal). It cleared, but just barely. Maybe a couple mm on either side, and the tire rubbed on the frame in hard corners. That tire only spent one ride on the bike.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Thank you! I figured the difference would be minimal, but want to get it right the first time. So just to clarify, the the greater the offset, the more stable at speed, but slightly slower response at slower speeds?
    No, a higher offset like 51 will steer quicker and be more nimble. A lower offset like 44 is more stable and slightly slower.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I have a 2019 Honzo size L and given the current state of things, I've been working on skills around my neighborhood, but haven't really taken it on a trail much yet. I like the bike in every way, but frustratingly I'm starting to find myself very uncomfortable on it after only short periods of time. There could be several reasons for this, but I've most noticeably felt very cramped on it and I've started to wonder if I would be better suited to an XL.

I submitted the sizing form Kona has on their site, below is the (paraphrased) response:

"Based on your submitted measurements, Kona recommends LG/XL in the Honzo. Your inseam, arm, and trunk all point more toward an XL"

I was 6'4, but apparently I've shrunk and now I measure 6'2 on a good day. My wingspan remains 6'4, though, so determining the correct frame size was a bit confusing and I took a gamble on the L. Probably shouldn't have rushed, but I was anxious to get a Honzo and found one available near me. Most other manufacturers would put me in an XL it seems.

Would an XL make that much of a difference? Are there things I can do to make the Large work for me? Is it really worth investing in different parts for this bike or would I be better off selling this awesome bike and finding an XL? I'm willing to wait for 2021s.

I'm feeling held back like no matter how much I try to shift my weight to the rear, I'm still too far over the front end. Does this sound reasonable or am I just really bad?!

Looking for overall insight plus anything from all you Honzo riders.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    If it feels too short, it probably is. You could get a longer stem, but that will not help your feelings of being too far over the front of the bike, you probably should have listened to Konaís recommendation that all signs pointed to XL. Sell the frame, buy the right size and eat the cost difference is your best move.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by KonaJon View Post
    If it feels too short, it probably is. You could get a longer stem, but that will not help your feelings of being too far over the front of the bike, you probably should have listened to Konaís recommendation that all signs pointed to XL. Sell the frame, buy the right size and eat the cost difference is your best move.
    I only recently submitted the sizing form, I didnít know about it before purchasing the bike, wish I had. I hoped to confirm my suspicions. But thank you, Iím looking for reassurance it is the right move to replace it versus tweak it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by cbhockey22 View Post
    I only recently submitted the sizing form, I didnít know about it before purchasing the bike, wish I had. I hoped to confirm my suspicions. But thank you, Iím looking for reassurance it is the right move to replace it versus tweak it.
    100% you should be on an XL. I'm 6'3" and I know the L is too small for me.

I've ridden the XL many times (actually in the process of building up a Steel frame finally) but even the XL isn't that big to me. I have a 60mm stem on my Kona Process 134 which has the same 510mm Reach as the Honzo.

I'd find an XL frame and swap parts. You won't be sorry.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    I'm 6'5" and I have an XL. It feels a little small for me but it is still workable. I have a dropper post with a setback that puts me a little farther back on the bike which I like.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4 and have a Honzo ST with 70mm stem and 780mm bars. Perfect for me.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Here is a picture of my 2018 Carbon Honzo build.
    Upgrades include:
    - 140mm z2 fork
    - One up carbon bars
    - Chromag BZA stem
    - converting to SS next week and swapping wheels for i9 hydra trail wheels
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020

Name:	IMG_20200418_122402.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	497.8 KB 
ID:	1326225
    Awesome build! I'm in the process of turning my 18 Honzo CR into a SS. I see you have your chain tensioner set to push from the top down, did you try setting it to push from the bottom up to achieve more chain wrap on your cog? Also, what's your gear ratio? Cheers!

Bnerd
    The Honzo sizing for tall people discussion has piqued my interest.

The TL;DR is that I like a much higher bar height.
    Read on for a more detailed explanation.

I'm riding an XL 2019 HonzoST. And, I'm 198cm (6'6") and relatively equally proportioned.

I like the fit of the XL.
    I don't feel cramped when seated or too far over the front when standing while riding.

I'm running a 60mm stem and 800mm bars.
    The front end of my HonzoST isn't stock. I'm running a Works -2į angleset with a 160mm Fox Float RC2.

I just swap my stem and bars that I've been running for a while now. I've been going taller and taller on DH bike for the last several years. And, I'm not sure why I haven't done the same with my pedal bikes. Now I have.

The original setup was 0 rise 60mm stem, 25mm rise 800mm bar and 15mm of spacers under the stem.
    The new stem (original 2012 stock Kona Honzo stem) has a 6į rise and has more of a stack height than the Chromag BZA stem so I removed a 5mm spacer. The bars I swapped to are a 50mm rise and the same width at 800mm.

I figured with the extra front-end height my climbing position/handling might be affected negatively however, I have been pleasantly surprised that I feel like I'm in an even better position for climbing than I was previously!
    On the ride I did today, after the swap, has quite a few uphill tight switchbacks. Surprisingly, I felt like I had more room to turn the bars while riding through the switchbacks. I think because the bars are higher my knees are now missing the bars through the tight switchback turns. It was never a major issue but it was something I had to be aware of when climbing through tight switchbacks that my knees might contact the bars.
    Also, while grinding up very steep sections I thought I'd need to slide forward and ride the nose of the saddle sooner/more. However, I didn't need to do that. I'm not sure why that is the reason but I felt no need to slide forward on the saddle climbing steep sections of trail. I did, obviously, hinge forward at the hips/waist to bring my shoulders over the bars as the trail got steeper. But, I didn't feel uncomfortable when doing that as I had previously.

Descending also felt much better. This is where I knew a taller bar would feel better.

I don't need to hang as off the back as much because with the taller bar it gives me more range of movement up and down over the bike. Rather than needing to move back to get lower.
    I rode several long and steep rock slabs on my ride. I found that my front tire had much more grip because I was more over the bars while lower over the bike than off the back because the taller bar allowed that particular range of movement.

Cornering felt more intuitive as well. Even though there is more movement needed to lean the bike because my hands are higher it felt right. It was easier to lean the bike through corners with the taller bars. Admittedly, it did take a bit of a reset to get adjusted to the new feeling of how the bike felt when leaning it over with a higher hand height.

With the taller bars I'm feeling much more balanced over the bike in all situations.

All in all I'm stoked with this change! I'm just surprised with myself that it took this long to change it. Although, I have been focusing on getting longer and longer bikes rather than taller front ends.
    I have my eye on bars that have a 70mm rise and are 810mm in width!

The average height that this world is designed around sucks for tall people!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Has anybody tried both a 2020 Pike Select RC and the Pike Ultimate? Worth the upgrade other than the nice silver legs?

Btw. Silver (if I go Ultimate) or black forks on a 2019 Racing Green Honzo ST?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    hey, I am looking to buy me an160mm fork for my honzo al 2019 does anybody tried it before ? or is 160mmm way too much so I will break my frame

Sry it may be discussed earlier and I didn't know how to search in all 600 enters in this thread

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by HYBRID THEORY View Post
    hey, I am looking to buy me an160mm fork for my honzo al 2019 does anybody tried it before ? or is 160mmm way too much so I will break my frame

Sry it may be discussed earlier and I didn't know how to search in all 600 enters in this thread
    I wouldn't recommend it. Many of the aluminum frames have a higher BB, or rather less BB drop. A 160 fork will raise it up significantly, you may not like the way it handles.

A 140 fork will make a significant change from what you have without ruining the handling of the bike.

You can also add an Angleset headset which will keep the BB height about static with a 140-150mm fork, depending on if you go -1 or -1.5.

I think you'd be happier with a little less fork personally.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I wouldn't recommend it. Many of the aluminum frames have a higher BB, or rather less BB drop. A 160 fork will raise it up significantly, you may not like the way it handles.

A 140 fork will make a significant change from what you have without ruining the handling of the bike.

You can also add an Angleset headset which will keep the BB height about static with a 140-150mm fork, depending on if you go -1 or -1.5.

I think you'd be happier with a little less fork personally.

okay thank u for u answere but i have to buy the fork anyways so i just wanted to know if its possible to use it in my honzo till i have to use it in my process 153 and thats the reason why i wanna or have to buy a 160mm fork

does anybody know if the frame can handel it ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Has anybody seen one of these or was this color a urban myth?Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-my20_honzo_cr_frame-1024x718.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by HYBRID THEORY View Post

does anybody know if the frame can handel it ?
    Nobody here can accurately answer that. Like I said, my though is it's not a good idea, especially on an aluminum or carbon frame.

How much you weigh, the terrain you ride on, and a bunch of other factors make a big difference too. If you are 110lbs I think the frame would be just fine. I'm 210lbs, no way I'm putting that big of a fork on an aluminum frame designed around 120mm.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Delete, quoted wrong post

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Ok, so no trail info yet...but I took this bike over to my buddy's today, he set up some little wood jumps for his kids and we took turns bashing the new Honzo into the plywood and curbs.

I love this fork. Just feels like butter, not soft but smooth. I set it up in about 5 minutes by following the pressure and rebound recommendations on Marzocchi's website.

I dunno what this thing will be like on the trail but just from screwing around on the street I will buy another and put it on a Honzo frame. So smooth!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by squamishstrength View Post
    Awesome build! I'm in the process of turning my 18 Honzo CR into a SS. I see you have your chain tensioner set to push from the top down, did you try setting it to push from the bottom up to achieve more chain wrap on your cog? Also, what's your gear ratio? Cheers!
    Yeah I wanted to route the chain the other way, I'm using the Surly SS tensioner, and the derailleur hanger (and possibly the chainstay) doesn't allow the other orientation. I actually needed to file a bit off of the hanger as it wouldn't pivot upward enough (fouling on the top of the tensioner). Works fine though and didn't hurt the overall integrity of the hanger.

Running 32x18 with an absolute black oval chainring, seems to be a good all around ratio for where I ride.

mtbr member
    I've had my Kona Honzo Steel now for 4yrs

https://youtu.be/PgCTMjbqED8

mtbr member
    May 2020

Big Honzo vs DL?

I almost went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Big Honzo.

I originally went with the Big Honzo, as it seemed better value for money.
    But now my LBS called to say the don't actually have the Big Honzo ''as-is'', but
    they have a hybrid Big Honzo - the DL frame with all the parts from 'normal' Big Honzo.

However, they said that drivetrain from Big Honzo is not compatible with the DL frame so I have to wait for the new SRAM drivetrain to arrive and be installed on the DL.
    I would get it for the normal Big Honzo price.

This seems like a great deal to me, I like the orange color, and would have a somewhat unique bike.

But, just out of curiosity, shouldn't the two frames be exactly the same because DL stands just for better equipment?
    They are obviously not the same or otherwise the drivetrain would be compatible.
    Also, on the Kona site it says that the DL has 1 mm shorter TT and wheelbase.

Does anyone know what are the differences exactly between the two frames?
    Is the DL frame better, lighter or what? Why the 1 mm difference?
    I tried Big Honzo L, and I think it fitted fine. I'm 185cm, probably this 1mm difference in TT shouldn't matter as far as sizing goes?

https://www.konaworld.com/big_honzo_dl.cfm
    https://www.konaworld.com/big_honzo.cfm

mtbr member
    May 2020

New question here.

Joined the mtbr community because of this thread.

I picked up my 2020 Kona Honzo 29er medium 3 weeks ago, loving everything about it except the RockShox Recon RL forks. At 5'10", and a "post covid stay at home" weight now approaching 220, i cannot find a setting I like with the sag set at suggested 20%. And they squeek like crazy! They feel very heavy and not very smooth in any setting for me.

I'm going to continue to just ride for now. However, I am looking for input on the front fork travel debate for our Honzo frame geometry.

Seems that the consensus of this thread is to go from 120 mm to a 140 mm fork, and live with the approximate 2 degree HT angle change, or use a 2 offset adapter.

The argument can also be made for the middle ground 130 mm fork.

So, let the opinions fly! 120 mm vs 130 mm vs 140 mm???

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Is it possible to run a 200mm rotor on the rear of the Honzo ST? Iíd normally go 180 or 160 on a hardtail but I have a spare 200mm sram centerline kicking about.

Are the brake mounts on the Honzo ST 160mm standard? So a 20mm IS to PM Adapter would be needed for 180mm discs?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by astronaut17 View Post
    But, just out of curiosity, shouldn't the two frames be exactly the same because DL stands just for better equipment?
    They are obviously not the same or otherwise the drivetrain would be compatible.
    Also, on the Kona site it says that the DL has 1 mm shorter TT and wheelbase.

Does anyone know what are the differences exactly between the two frames?
    Is the DL frame better, lighter or what? Why the 1 mm difference?
    The frames are different. Traditionally they were the same until a year or two ago, now the DL is a nicer frame, or rather the standard Honzo frame got cheaper. Yes it's likely a little lighter.

It uses a different BB standard, that's why the BB and cranks don't swap over.

Most likely the frame comes from a different factory I would guess and the 1mm made the manufacturing process easier so they just changed it slightly. You will never know the difference, 1mm is too small to perceive.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
    Joined the mtbr community because of this thread.

I picked up my 2020 Kona Honzo 29er medium 3 weeks ago, loving everything about it except the RockShox Recon RL forks. At 5'10", and a "post covid stay at home" weight now approaching 220, i cannot find a setting I like with the sag set at suggested 20%. And they squeek like crazy! They feel very heavy and not very smooth in any setting for me.

I'm going to continue to just ride for now. However, I am looking for input on the front fork travel debate for our Honzo frame geometry.

Seems that the consensus of this thread is to go from 120 mm to a 140 mm fork, and live with the approximate 2 degree HT angle change, or use a 2 offset adapter.

The argument can also be made for the middle ground 130 mm fork.

So, let the opinions fly! 120 mm vs 130 mm vs 140 mm???
    Hey,
    Welcome to the gang!
    I had a great experience with the suntour auron PCs fork. Mine was the 2016 megavalanche edition with the PCS damper, 34mm stanchions, and the travel was adjustable internally with spacers (and no extra tools but a damper pump, very fast and easy to do) from 130-140-150. The spacers cost 6 euros apiece iirc, and were sold extra by the Same online shop where I ordered the fork. I ran it on the 2016 honzo AL at 130, I had about 93 kg naked back then. Unfortunately the bike was stolen about a year ago. Still pissed, such a great bike and fork.
    Afaik the current auron has 35mm stamchions, not sure about the travel options.

mtbr member
    May 2020

Custom build 2020 Honzo ST

I read through a good chunk of this thread while I was planning my Honzo build, so I thought I should give a little back and share the results! Initially, I wanted the gorgeous carbon frame, but I could'nt justify paying $1K more so I went with steel. I went a bit nuts on the forks because no shops had any other Fox 34ís or Pikes and I managed to get the Factory SC forks on sale. I think the orange and grey theme worked!

It's such a fun bike compared to what i was on before - a 26" Hei Hei. I think its about 13.5kg (just under 30lbs), which is not bad.

So the final build:
    - 2020 Kona Honzo ST L
    - Shimano 12 speed drivetrain: XT derailleur and shifters, SLX for the rest (with a 34t chainring)
    - Shimano SLX 4 piston brakes and 180mm rotors
    - Shimano XT trail 29Ē wheelset
    - Maxxis Ikon 2.35
    - Pro carbon 800mm bar and Deity grip
    - Fox Transfer Performance dropper 150mm and Raceface Turbine R remote
    - Fox 34 step-case 120mm

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-05-17-13.02.03.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-05-17-13.04.01-2.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-05-17-13.04.31-2.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-05-17-13.06.39-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HTfiend View Post
    I read through a good chunk of this thread while I was planning my Honzo build, so I thought I should give a little back and share the results! Initially, I wanted the gorgeous carbon frame, but I could'nt justify paying $1K more so I went with steel. I went a bit nuts on the forks because no shops had any other Fox 34ís or Pikes and I managed to get the Factory SC forks on sale. I think the orange and grey theme worked!

It's such a fun bike compared to what i was on before - a 26" Hei Hei. I think its about 13.5kg (just under 30lbs), which is not bad.

So the final build:
    -2020 Kona Honzo ST L
    -Shimano 12 speed drivetrain: XT derailleur and shifters, SLX for the rest (with a 34t chainring)
    -Shimano SLX 4 piston brakes and 180mm rotors
    -Shimano XT trail 29Ē wheelset
    -Maxxis Ikon 2.35
    -Pro carbon 800mm bar and Deity grip
    -Fox Transfer Performance dropper 150mm and Raceface Turbine R remote
    -Fox 34 step-case 120mm

Name:	2020-05-17 13.02.03.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	1335939

Name:	2020-05-17 13.04.01-2.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	1335941

Name:	2020-05-17 13.04.31-2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	525.0 KB 
ID:	1335943

Name:	2020-05-17 13.06.39-2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	1335945
    Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    May 2020
    The frames are different. Traditionally they were the same until a year or two ago, now the DL is a nicer frame, or rather the standard Honzo frame got cheaper. Yes it's likely a little lighter.

It uses a different BB standard, that's why the BB and cranks don't swap over.

Most likely the frame comes from a different factory I would guess and the 1mm made the manufacturing process easier so they just changed it slightly. You will never know the difference, 1mm is too small to perceive.
    Thank you!
    I'll definitely take it then.
    BB standard sounds very unimportant to me, I guess I'll be fine with whatever the Orange Big Honzo comes with :-).

I don't even understand 90% of this tech-talk from previous pages, although I read 30 pages of it. The main conclusion is that it's a great bike that I will enjoy.

I see now that the geometry of DL is exactly the same as the CR model. But, as I suspected, 1 mm should really be unnoticeable.

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2020

2020 Kona Honzo Frame Specs

Since much of this thread has been a discussion of the differences between the frame specifications within the Honzo line, I thought I'd post the various specs for the 2020 model year.

HONZO ST

HONZO DL

HONZO (AL)

HONZO CR

As you can see there are many differences between the offerings. Most notable are HT length, CS lengths, and BB drop/height.

Like many here I assumed that the difference between the DL and AL was just the groupsets. I was surprised that the Honzo DL and my cheaper Honzo AL, while both are made from Kona's 6061 Aluminum butted tubing, have some slight and subtle differences for a medium size frame:

Standover on DL is 730 mm vs 750 mm AL -- (DL is -20 mm standover vs AL)
    HT length on DL is 100 mm vs 110 mm AL -- (DL is -10 mm HT length vs AL)
    CS length on DL is 415 mm vs 420 mm AL -- (DL is - 5 mm CS length vs AL)
    BB Drop on DL is 65 mm vs 55 mm AL -- (DL is +10 mm BB Drop vs AL)
    BB Height on DL is 310 mm vs 320 mm AL -- (DL is -10 mm BB height vs AL)
    Wheelbase on DL 1144 mm vs 1155 mm AL -- (DL is -11 mm Wheelbase vs AL)

So the DL will have a lower CG, less BB clearance, faster responses with the shorter wheelbase, and possibly a better climber with shorter CS? Right?

**These may be different for previous model years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-honzo-st-frame-specs.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-honzo-dl-frame-specs.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-honzo-al-frame-specs.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2020-honzo-cr-frame-specs.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Interesting. Like *OneSpeed* also mentioned, i had not realised that Kona had changed the base AL frame from 2019 onwards (presumably to make it cheaper). I am sure they all ride great though!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    That is interesting Darryl, on the 'normal' Honzo, the differences in geometry are far more pronounced than on the Big Honzo family.

Maybe it's easier to justify the price difference when the geometry is different between AL and DL. I'm not sure about the pricing of normal Honzos, but Big Honzo is around 1700$, and Big Honzo DL around 2400$, which is very steep climb considering that Big Honzo also comes with very decent equipment imo.

But now I'm definitely super happy I'll get better frame for lower price :-).
    Even though, as HTfiend said, I'm certain that the whole Honzo family offers a very fun and enjoyable ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20200514_192429.jpg

I've had this 2020 Big Honzo ST for about a month now, and I'm fricken stoked. Picked it up for a song off of pinkbike, and as trails have begun to reopen here in Washington I've finally been able to get her dirty. Absolute night and day difference between this beast and the Trek XC hardtail I was borrowing from a friend until now - honestly this thing feels closer to the DH sled I rented at Whistler than that thing (probably mostly the + tires).

Currently everything is pretty much stock, but I found a great deal on a Charger 2.1 RCT3 damper that I'll swap in once I'm decent enough to notice the difference. Picked up a set of Rimpact to split with a buddy for our rear wheels, hopefully that'll help keep the sharks at bay.

What would you guys recommend looking at replacing later down the road? I'm definitely eyeing a GX derailleur as I've had to adjust the SX decently frequently.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by adamweld View Post

What would you guys recommend looking at replacing later down the road? I'm definitely eyeing a GX derailleur as I've had to adjust the SX decently frequently.
    Definitely upgrade to a NX/GX shifter if you're doing the derailleur. You'll actually get better shifting from the shifter more so than the derailleur.

You could even get away with a NX derailleur if you get the GX shifter.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    WTB: Big Honzo, size medium, complete only, no junk, buying for a family member, send PM if you got one youíd sell. Steel preferred, aluminum okay.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by adamweld View Post

Name:	20200514_192429.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	480.2 KB 
ID:	1336577

I've had this 2020 Big Honzo ST for about a month now, and I'm fricken stoked. Picked it up for a song off of pinkbike, and as trails have begun to reopen here in Washington I've finally been able to get her dirty. Absolute night and day difference between this beast and the Trek XC hardtail I was borrowing from a friend until now - honestly this thing feels closer to the DH sled I rented at Whistler than that thing (probably mostly the + tires).

Currently everything is pretty much stock, but I found a great deal on a Charger 2.1 RCT3 damper that I'll swap in once I'm decent enough to notice the difference. Picked up a set of Rimpact to split with a buddy for our rear wheels, hopefully that'll help keep the sharks at bay.

What on the derailleur are you adjusting? Cable tension on the shifter or your actual limit and b tension screws? I imagine it is the tension, the set screws typically are set and forget. If that is the case, as *Onespeed* already mentioned you would probably get the performance you want with a better shifter, maybe even add a lighter cassette that nx stuff is HEAVY.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Has anybody seen one of these or was this color a urban myth?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my20_honzo_cr_frame-1024x718.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	1333633
    Only in pics of a bike being built. Never saw the finished product. Would love to see some for sure as this color has many options custom wise.
    Lynn Woods:yikes:
    JRA cycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-my20_honzo_cr_frame-1024x718.jpg
    So phoned my LBS and said get me one in large. A quick email to Kona and the reply was "We have no stock, none coming in , why do you want one?"
    The MTB industry drives me nuts. In most retail they try to sell you product.
    The bike companies are so worried that they may have leftover stock, and we wont buy last years product. Well guess what, they made us that way. Other industries deal with this. Cars, Motorcycles, electronics, they sell their old stock.
    And me, I am so dumb that I will wait and buy a 2021, so Kona won't even lose a sale.

Wanna ride bikes?

Views:	40 
ID:	1338291
    So phoned my LBS and said get me one in large. A quick email to Kona and the reply was "We have no stock, none coming in , why do you want one?"
    The bike companies are so worried that they may have leftover stock, and we wont buy last years product. Well guess what, they made us that way. Other industries deal with this. Cars, Motorcycles, electronics, they sell their old stock.
    And me, I am so dumb that I will wait and buy a 2021, so Kona won't even lose a sale.
    Kona doesn't get large quantities of frame only options. They notoriously sell out of popular frames in the first month or two for many models that have that option like the Sutra, Honzo, Unit, etc.

The 2021 models start coming out in September ish, place your order early!

Yes they don't want left over inventory, but they would also rather sell you a complete bike. I understand their reasoning, but also personally wish there were more frame only options since I don't want a full Sram build kit on every bike. I only buy frame only when I buy a new bike and build it the way I want.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    May 2020

Views:	40 
ID:	1338291
    Are you kidding? Have you been living under a rock for the past 3.5 months? There is no conspiracy here, no fear of leftover stock, this is a unique time we are all living through.

Consider where these bikes and frames are actually manufactured... YES - China!

In this Covid19 world with bike shops 300+% busier than normal, the supply chain has been seriously affected. I too cannot get any new Giant or Kona bikes right now from my LBS.

Why? Because the factories in China were shut down for nearly 3 months, there were no boats bringing them over, and because the warehouses here are nearly empty.

Americans have been buying bikes like crazy during the pandemic -- Good for biking, good for bike shops, bad for anyone looking for a bike!

Give it some time, things will normalize eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Okay settle down. Have you been buying bikes for more than a year? The Covid situation has made it worse but this is the way it usually is. I have ordered bikes in September and had them cancelled. If the company has a run on a model then the big retailers get them and the shop Rats can due without. The warehouses don't get restocked like a car lot. The Rep told me Kona made one run of this frame, no completes, and are not making anymore this year. There are some 2021 HT's coming in July but no Honzo's.
    Giant, the worlds largest manufacturer does build in China but also Taiwan and the Netherlands. I doubt they ship much to NA in June or July normally?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Okay settle down. Have you been buying bikes for more than a year? The Covid situation has made it worse but this is the way it usually is. I have ordered bikes in September and had them cancelled. If the company has a run on a model then the big retailers get them and the shop Rats can due without. The warehouses don't get restocked like a car lot. The Rep told me Kona made one run of this frame, no completes, and are not making anymore this year. There are some 2021 HT's coming in July but no Honzo's.
    Giant, the worlds largest manufacturer does build in China but also Taiwan and the Netherlands. I doubt they ship much to NA in June or July normally?

EL EM EFF AYE OH!!! Me settle down???

I'm not the "frantic" one who doesn't read or educate myself on the current situation and world we live in.

I am sorry you cannot purchase the high end frame you desire. But this is about as far from "normal" the bike industry has ever been!

Read, Learn, Educate yourself!!!

Here (in case your google-fu is not up to par) --

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/...mic/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bicycle...irus-pandemic/

https://azdailysun.com/news/local/bi...2425aa3e8.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/18/nyregion/bike-shortage-coronavirus.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    So I am looking at wheelsets for my '20 Honzo CR build, and have a couple questions.

I was planning on going with We Are One faction rims (27mm IW), but found a good deal on a set of Union rims (30mm IW). We Are One states intended tire width of 2.35 to 2.8".

I plan on running a 2.35" rear, and 2.5" front. Do you guys think that rear combo will clear on my cr frame? I'm sure the wider rim will result in a slightly wider tire profile.

The faction fits my intended use better, but like I say, I can get a good deal on the unions.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    The rear tire size at 2.35 is the same as a stock Honzo. SO no issue there. What front fork are you running? That will determine how wide you can go up front.

FYI -- https://forums.mtbr.com/kona/2019-ko...e-1096465.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I will be running a fox 34 SC

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So I am looking at wheelsets for my '20 Honzo CR build, and have a couple questions.

I was planning on going with We Are One faction rims (27mm IW), but found a good deal on a set of Union rims (30mm IW). We Are One states intended tire width of 2.35 to 2.8".

I plan on running a 2.35" rear, and 2.5" front. Do you guys think that rear combo will clear on my cr frame? I'm sure the wider rim will result in a slightly wider tire profile.

The faction fits my intended use better, but like I say, I can get a good deal on the unions.
    I don't know if the rear spacing is the same, but I have a 2.35 Nobby Nic on 29mm internal rims on my 2017 CR. There's minimal but enough room.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I will be running a fox 34 SC
    I have 30mm inner wheels with 2.35 Maxxis Ikons up front with Fox 34 SC forks and there is plenty of room. It looks to me like it would fit 2.5, although I have not tried anything wider than 2.35.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Has anybody seen one of these or was this color a urban myth?Click image for larger version. 

Views:	68 
ID:	1333633
    recently building one up

de paint is really nice i find already 5 difference colors in it due the different light conditions

https://ibb.co/Zff08Ys
    https://ibb.co/8N38XfK
    https://ibb.co/n8mLk9N

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Can anyone help point me to the correct headset for my '20 Honzo CR? I have an FSA now, and the bearings seem correct, but the top cap does not cover up the unfinished portion of the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Can anyone help point me to the correct headset for my '20 Honzo CR? I have an FSA now, and the bearings seem correct, but the top cap does not cover up the unfinished portion of the frame.
    Not sure if the CR is the same as the AL frame, but my 2020 AL has the FSA 57E Orbit tapered here:
    https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/h...mmuting/no-57e

mtbr member

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Just built this little guy up, so far enjoying it. Perfect complement to the enduro bike.

Large Honzo ST
    Marzocchi bomber z2 140mm
    Bontrager line comp 30 wheels
    Xt group (slx derailleur)
    Enve bar
    Paul component stem
    Guide R
    Minion Dhf/Minion ss
    Bontrager Line Elite 130mm
    XTR Race pedals
    Last edited by traditiionalist; 1 Week Ago at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    This bike is so much fun

Nelus78
    Mar 2020
    Looks awesome!!!
    The red Marzocchi bomber z2, love it.

Building up the same frame myself.
    Will post it when it's ready

Nelus78
    Mar 2020
    Does anyone know, how much tension these bolts need?
    Can't seem to find it on the kona site.
    Thanks in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20200624_184132.jpg  

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelus78 View Post
    Thanks in advance
    Crank them down good and tight. It's a 6mm bolt, you won't hurt it unless you're really trying to. I'd guess 6-8nm?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

_____
    Jul 2007
    I was hoping to build a Honzo ST in XL but it sounds like they are not available anywhere according to my local shop. I can't find anything from internet shops either. Does anyone have any information on when Kona will get more Honzo steel frames?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I've been friends with my LBS owner for over 20 years and according to him (A Kona dealer) all 2020 Konas are sold out, there will be no more until this fall.

So, start buying your components now and grab the frame later!

mtbr member
    Did you try bikeman bikes ? They are a large kona retailer. There was also a shop on pinkbike selling the frames.

In stock:
    Bikeman Kona 2020 Honzo ST Frame with Kona Axle, Battleship Gray, XL

mtbr member
    SiO2, Maybe try https://centrecitycycles.com/ Always advertising over on PB for Konaís. Just a thought.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Thank you for the tips. Center city does not have XL. Bikeman has one. I was hoping to order it from a LBS but I'll try Bikeman if this is my only option.

Before I order I have a question. Is anyone running an angle set in their steel Honzo? I'd like to do Works Components -1 or -1.5. Is their anything preventing me from doing this?

mtbr member
    Check RideAnythingís build on angle set info.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by SiO2 View Post
    Thank you for the tips. Center city does not have XL. Bikeman has one. I was hoping to order it from a LBS but I'll try Bikeman if this is my only option.

Before I order I have a question. Is anyone running an angle set in their steel Honzo? I'd like to do Works Components -1 or -1.5. Is their anything preventing me from doing this?
    I just put a Cane Creek Angleset in mine. -1 for now, also included is a -.5 and a -1.5.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

_____
    Jul 2007
    Sorry for being lazy. Should have googled it. There is already a thread dedicated to anglesets on a Honzo: https://forums.mtbr.com/kona/honzo-a...t-1093732.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Point of personal opinion,I believe that the Big Honzo should be a steel 29+ bike,with super boost and a 83mm bottom bracket For short rear,150mm fork. No need for aluminum or CF models. Two color choices,one of which is bright and the other sedate.(My freakiní Dew had two colors available)Moderate price build and frame set option. Geometry about the same,maybe a degree slacker, sliders need to stay for the SSers. Big Honzo should be BIG!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    Point of personal opinion,I believe that the Big Honzo should be a steel 29+ bike,with super boost and a 83mm bottom bracket For short rear,150mm fork. No need for aluminum or CF models. Two color choices,one of which is bright and the other sedate.(My freakiní Dew had two colors available)Moderate price build and frame set option. Geometry about the same,maybe a degree slacker, sliders need to stay for the SSers. Big Honzo should be BIG!
    The 83mm BB wouldn't be necessary or desirable

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    As a Honzo ST and Trek Stache owner, I like what you are thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    The 83mm BB wouldn't be necessary or desirable

Neither would super-boost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post

Neither would super-boost.

Possibly, but I'm on board the 157 train, and the only downside is that some people want to use the boost wheels that they already own, with plenty of upsides. The big one in this case is that they could use a threaded 73mm shell and gain clearance for the chainstay yoke because the chainring is moved outboard, so they could maintain chainring clearance, proper chainline and low q-factor. As far as I know, every short-stay 29+ frame on the market takes a different approach to fit everything such as pressfit bb or elevated/dropped stays. 157 allows for more tire and chainring clearance with no compromises aside from wheel compatibility and heel clearance (but that can be motivated with good design).

_____
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by traditiionalist View Post
    Did you try bikeman bikes ? They are a large kona retailer. There was also a shop on pinkbike selling the frames.

In stock:
    Bikeman Kona 2020 Honzo ST Frame with Kona Axle, Battleship Gray, XL
    I called Bikeman and they actually had two XL Honzo ST frames in stock. Now they have one. Mine's on the way.

I could not find on Kona's website what is the exact headset spec for Honzo ST. I read through the MTBR Kona threads and it appears that a standard head set should be ZS44/28.6-ZS56/40. Is this correct? Therefore a -2 Works Components set for the ST should be this one: EC44/ZS56. The Works upper is external cup versus stock which is zero stack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelus78 View Post
    Thanks in advance
    I would compare the size of the bolts on your dropouts to what Paragon uses. in their instructions for the M8 bolts their adjustable dropouts, they recommend 24-26Nm or 17-19 foot-pounds. that is quite a bit of torque for a small bolt! I think the idea is you really don't want that coming loose or allowing any flex between the frame and dropout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    83mm appeals to me, I like wide, but Then I have forsaken everything but my fatbike.Might consider having Marino build what I want later if I want to do a 29+,going to give my Entourage another chance first. The 26 wheels feel puny even with 2.5 tires.

Nelus78
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I would compare the size of the bolts on your dropouts to what Paragon uses. in their instructions for the M8 bolts their adjustable dropouts, they recommend 24-26Nm or 17-19 foot-pounds. that is quite a bit of torque for a small bolt! I think the idea is you really don't want that coming loose or allowing any flex between the frame and dropout.
    Thanks for the information 👍😊

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Honzo Paint

Does anyone have or know the green paint code for the Honzo? I have a steel Honzo and need a tad of touch up paint.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Does anyone have or know the green paint code for the Honzo? I have a steel Honzo and need a tad of touch up paint.
    I would guess Kona is the only one who knows that, not sure if they'd share that info?

Nail polish is the go-to recommendation for touching up bike frames.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Would you happen to know which nail polish matches with that frame color? Can't seem to pull that information anywhere around here.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Would you happen to know which nail polish matches with that frame color? Can't seem to pull that information anywhere around here.
    lol, no.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    email them and ask for the color pantone. they helped me out in the past with this. failing that nail polish as others have said.
    Hei Hei CR29
    Supreme SX

Wanna ride bikes?

Here it is, finally!

Build kit
    - XL Honzo ST frame
    - Cane Creek -1 Angleset
    - MRP Ribbon Air 140mm fork, 46 offset
    - OneUp carbon handlebars
    - OneUp 210mm dropper with Wolf Tooth lever
    - ODI rogue grips
    - Deity Copperhead stem and seat collar
    - SLX cranks 175mm
    - Box One Prime 9 drivetrain with 11-46t cassette
    - Magura MT5 4 piston brakes
    - Wheels: Spank rims with Hadley rear hub
    - Maxxis Forekaster 2.6 front/Recon 2.4 rear
    - OneUp flat pedals... for now.
    - Chromag Trailmaster LTD saddle

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9541.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9543.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9544.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9547.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9548.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9550.jpg
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Build kit
    - XL Honzo ST frame
    - Cane Creek -1 Angleset
    - ODI rogue grips
    - SLX cranks 175mm

Name:	IMG_9541.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	1344941

Name:	IMG_9543.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	457.2 KB 
ID:	1344943

Name:	IMG_9544.jpg 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	1344945

Name:	IMG_9547.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	1344947

Name:	IMG_9548.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	443.2 KB 
ID:	1344949

Name:	IMG_9550.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	529.1 KB 
ID:	1344951
    Looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Build kit
    - XL Honzo ST frame
    - Cane Creek -1 Angleset
    - ODI rogue grips
    - SLX cranks 175mm

Name:	IMG_9541.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	1344941

Name:	IMG_9543.jpg 
Size:	457.2 KB 
ID:	1344943

Name:	IMG_9544.jpg 
Size:	470.4 KB 
ID:	1344945

Name:	IMG_9547.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	373.5 KB 
ID:	1344947

Name:	IMG_9548.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	443.2 KB 
ID:	1344949

Name:	IMG_9550.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	529.1 KB 
ID:	1344951
    Looks great... except for the gears.

Nelus78
    Mar 2020

My Kona Honzo ST build

- L Honzo ST frame 2019
    - Cane Creek Hellbender 70
    - Dartmoor Beetle 32mm stem
    - Raceface Turbine 35 steer
    - BBB Python green grips
    - Syncros FL1.5 seatpost
    - SQlab 610 Active seat
    - RockShox Pike Select Charger RC 130mm fork, 51 offset
    - Shimano XT Full groupset
    - Shimano XT 8120 4 piston brakes
    - Wheels: DT Swiss XR 1501 Spline One 25
    - Schwalbe Racing Ray 2.25 front / Racing Ralph 2.25 rear
    - Sixpack Menace Comp Bike24 Edition flat pedals
    - Bike bell gold colour. (Need it on the trails here)

Hope you like it
    And thanks for answering my questions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona_honzo1-01.jpeg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-kona_honzo2-01.jpeg  

mtbr member
    New honzo released over on pinkbike. Looks good.

mtbr member
    '19 Big Honzo CR Do-Anything Radtail

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-126fdcd3-8511-41f2-959f-02e09396324d_1_201_a.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Honzo ST dream build

2019 Honzo ST frame (best color they ever got)
    34 stepcast
    Paul Thumbie and friction shifter combo to activate lockout on fork
    Chris king hubs flow rims
    since the pic I installed a dropper
    Ardent 2.4 tires
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo2.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    My wolftooth oval came a few days ago, took a bit to find the tool for the direct mount lockring but its all set now. Carbon brooks c13 should be here today for it. Did a solid ride on the bike today, and theres not a single thing I would change. Really like this marzocchi bomber z2.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031