Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here - Page 28- Mtbr.com
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,600 of 5985
    high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    Man! I like your style - you should go ahead and get those $80 revolution ďsuspensionĒ grips and let us know how they are!
    You got me thinking...

But I just canít seem to wrap my simple little mind around the concept. An unstable interface with my bar, albeit subtly unstable, does not sound like a great idea when straightlining it through the chunk. That, and the fact that these will cost me the equivalent of 3 sets of Ergon grips, or 9 sets of the Konas, with an awkward and expensive return option...

I havenít fully abandoned the idea, but I need to find some inspiration to go for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    Yes, Hope produces great bottom brackets. I'm not sure what crankset you're using, but here's one that I use. They are spendy, but spin forever.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...ant=9864646403
    How long have you been using the bbinfinte?? I'm wondering if it would be better than Hope. Thanks

mtbr super member
    Iím running a ethirteen trs 150mm dropper on a large frame.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Do not...I repeat, DO NOT use that under seat swat POS. The metal tabs are very weak and will break off. And when it does everything falls down right between your rear wheel and seat tube causing the bike to come to a skidding halt and toss you off the bike. Ask me how I know...

And this is not an anecdotal account. I know numerous people who have had the same issue. And a local shop even stopped selling them because customers were coming in with the same failure. The alloy they use is brittle at the mounting tabs and wears out from repeated vibration. Mine last less than a year.
    Excellent advice. Thank you Sir.

Step straight to hell Specialized. Wait, what? You are already there? Oh yeah. I forgot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffard View Post
    Iím running a ethirteen trs 150mm dropper on a large frame.
    Thanks my Xfusion manic doesn't fit as far into the seat tube as I would like. I have the Ethirteen on my Jeffsey. I might just get a new dropper on the Jeffsey and move the ethirteen to my Honzo. Thanks man

mtbr member
    A bit overdue - but hereís my build. 27.5+ on 2018 Large ST. Swapped most parts from my Bid Honzo DL. Yari extended to 140mm, -1 works headset, and wolftooth oval chainring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-663dd9a3-f047-4770-a86c-216dc0381dc2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Bought a used 2018 Honzo AL frame. Can i put 27.5 x 2.4/2.5 tires? And with 140mm/150mm 29er fork to compensate the BB height.

Any comments?

mtbr member
    You should be okay. I believe the only real difference between the 2018 Honzo and Big Honzo Al frames is the BB drop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Do the 2018 and 2019 steel frames have the same geo?

mtbr member
    Yes, you can always go to the Kona site to confirm - they keep the previous yearís sites up and I routinely reference the 2017 and 2018 sites to see whatís changed over the years in geo and component spec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Yes, you can always go to the Kona site to confirm - they keep the previous yearís sites up and I routinely reference the 2017 and 2018 sites to see whatís changed over the years in geo and component spec.
    Yeah, sorry I was being lazy!! I usually go to Kona's site to check my 2017 Honzo.

mtbr member
    2017-2019 St all have the same geo. Which makes me think the Al and Cr would too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hi, i am new here and was poisoned by the Honzo ST.

Does anyone know where is selling the steel version either 2017 to 2019??

The kona site doesnt seems to have a buy option..

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Check the pinkbike classifieds. I picked up a brand new 2018 ST frame for $450 shipped.
    CADRE RACING

Vassago Radimus
    Kona Wozo

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeat007 View Post
    Check the pinkbike classifieds. I picked up a brand new 2018 ST frame for $450 shipped.
    Not sure how much of a complication this may present, but I see that cult41 hails from Singapore...

Otherwise, my LBS, which is a mere 13,172 kms away, has some steels right on the floor.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hi! Yes i am from Singapore. Thank you for the comments and the bikeman link. I will read them in awhile. Hopefully, them ship internationally at reasonable price..

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If anyone is looking for hoops for their Honzo I have a like new take offs for sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Never mind I found my answer!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    A bit overdue - but hereís my build. 27.5+ on 2018 Large ST. Swapped most parts from my Bid Honzo DL. Yari extended to 140mm, -1 works headset, and wolftooth oval chainring.
    Looks very nice! Been looking for an excuse to get a 27.5+ wheelset as well. How come you moved your parts from the Big DL to the normal ST? Are you happy with the geometry (after +20mm travel and -1į head angle)? Do you ride it 27.5+ exclusively?

mtbr member
    Was on a medium frame and wanted a large - found a good deal on an ST and decided to make the jump. Partly because the new Big Honzos went to 430mm chainstays and I wanted the old 415mm.

27.5+ only, as I donít have another wheel set! I dig the additional cushion and now that I have some proper rubber on it, Iím sold. Would like to try 29 2.6 up front at some point...

Iíll have to give a ride report later as itís been way cold, weíve had plenty of snow, and Iíve been under the weather.

high pivot witchcraft
    Was on a medium frame and wanted a large - found a good deal on an ST and decided to make the jump. Partly because the new Big Honzos went to 430mm chainstays and I wanted the old 415mm.

27.5+ only, as I donít have another wheel set! I dig the additional cushion and now that I have some proper rubber on it, Iím sold. Would like to try 29 2.6 up front at some point...

Iíll have to give a ride report later as itís been way cold, weíve had plenty of snow, and Iíve been under the weather.
    I was thinking about getting a 27.5+ wheelset at some point to try on the Honzo ST. Pardon my ignorance, but is this just plug and play? No issues using the same fork? No issues with pedal strikes? No significant geo changes?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    As long as your fork is 110mm wide, it should be fine. The rest is plug and play. Keep in mind, and depending on the tire, the BB will sit roughly 3/8Ē lower than the 29er because of the slightly smaller outer diameter of the 27.5+. If you are running more than a 120mm fork, you can negate some or most of this.

The pre-2019 Big Honzos had less BB drop to compensate - the only real difference in geo to the 29er.

Chronic 1st-timer
    The OG; 2012 HonzoSSchmdt. Got me back into MTB-ing & away from the dirt roadie rut I had fallen into.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012honzo_mini.jpg

Top tube cracked & Kona set me up w/a 2014 model, HonzoSSchmidt V2.0 in da house.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2014honzo_mini.jpg

3 yrs later, exact same place developed cracks. Once again, Kona stood by their word and...
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2017honzo_mini.jpg
    2017 frame appears. Sadly, no ISCG mounts. I caved & added cheater parts to this one...7 more gears!
    Trailwrecker at large

high pivot witchcraft
    As long as your fork is 110mm wide, it should be fine. The rest is plug and play. Keep in mind, and depending on the tire, the BB will sit roughly 3/8Ē lower than the 29er because of the slightly smaller outer diameter of the 27.5+. If you are running more than a 120mm fork, you can negate some or most of this.

The pre-2019 Big Honzos had less BB drop to compensate - the only real difference in geo to the 29er.
    140 fork is on it. Itís a 30th Birthday edition Steel, which I assume has the 2019 geo you mentioned.

Based on what you said, this could be a good candidate for a set of 27.5 hoops with 2.8s, in addition to the 29er wheelset with 2.5s. Plus I still have the stock 29er alloy wheelset with 2.3 DHFs. With these alternate wheelsets on hand, this could prove to be a pretty versatile rig.

mtbr member
    No, no - only the BIG Honzos have the modified geo. Your 2019 ST has the same geo as the 2017-2018 ST.

high pivot witchcraft
    No, no - only the BIG Honzos have the modified geo. Your 2019 ST has the same geo as the 2017-2018 ST.
    Can you please advise what tires you are running? And fork? And maybe post a pic or two?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of 27.5 wheels, just because. But I have a few lingering questions. I am still confused what downsides there are to running a Honzo ST at 27.5+ vs having bought a Big Honzo to begin with.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    The OG; 2012 HonzoSSchmdt. Got me back into MTB-ing & away from the dirt roadie rut I had fallen into.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012Honzo_mini.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	1236892

Top tube cracked & Kona set me up w/a 2014 model, HonzoSSchmidt V2.0 in da house.

Name:	2014Honzo_mini.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	1236893

3 yrs later, exact same place developed cracks. Once again, Kona stood by their word and...

Name:	2017Honzo_mini.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	1236894
    2017 frame appears. Sadly, no ISCG mounts. I caved & added cheater parts to this one...7 more gears!
    Where did they broke, need to check mine.
    Just thinking what i'm going to do with this...

Lšhetetty minun Pixel laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by samu.k View Post
    Where did they broke, need to check mine.
    Lšhetetty minun Pixel laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    Both on underside of top tube, at junction w/headtube.
    Trailwrecker at large

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Both on underside of top tube, at junction w/headtube.
    What size fork on each of the broken frames? To the extent it was longer than stock, did Kona ask you about this and did they comment on it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    For a 2019 Honzo ST, is the stock rear rotor size that it will accept at 160mm rotor?

If so, to install a 180mm rotor in the rear, do a I need a 160mm to 180mm adapter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Can you please advise what tires you are running? And fork? And maybe post a pic or two?

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of 27.5 wheels, just because. But I have a few lingering questions. I am still confused what downsides there are to running a Honzo ST at 27.5+ vs having bought a Big Honzo to begin with.

Thanks.
    Iím running a 2.8 DHF in front and 2.8 Rekon in the rear. RS Yari fork at 140mm. I can measure my BB clearance currently if that helps.

What kind of pics do you want?

Honzo ST is not made for 27.5+, it just happens to fit up to a 27.5x2.8 in the rear.

Big Honzo ST has different geo, including 15mm longer chainstays for more clearance to fit 27.5x3.0 and 29x2.6.

I havenít ridden the new Big Honzo, but I wanted to stick with the short chainstays of the regular ST. I also run the super thin Canfield bros pedals so not too worried about pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    How is the handling on Honzo ST's with a 140mm fork, even though 120mm is the recommended spec?

mtbr member
    I feel the ST handles great with a 140 (46 offset). I would like to try a 150 or even a 160 one day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDFATUGLY View Post
    I feel the ST handles great with a 140 (46 offset). I would like to try a 150 or even a 160 one day.
    140mm and 46 was great on my Honzo as well!

fraid of heights
    Anyone ever tried a 29 2.6 up front and 27.5 2.8 out back? Always wanted to try this config.
    Had mine set up that way the last few months and am very happy with it. Also I "finally" got a hold of an 2017 XL St frame, (didn't like the purple and already had green), so can't wait to swap parts over and get back on a steel frame!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190209_001525.jpg

mtbr member
    Awesome! Have to try this at some point. I would think contact patch should be very similar even though the back is wider.

mtbr member
    Not a lot of love for the CR on this thread. Where are all my plastic homies hiding?!
    Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo | RLT Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    We are here. I have a '19 CR on order. It is still a month away though. It is going to replace my dually as a xc race whip.
    As they don't offer a high end build kit this year I still haven't finalized the upgrades.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Do not...I repeat, DO NOT use that under seat swat POS. The metal tabs are very weak and will break off. And when it does everything falls down right between your rear wheel and seat tube causing the bike to come to a skidding halt and toss you off the bike. Ask me how I know...

And this is not an anecdotal account. I know numerous people who have had the same issue. And a local shop even stopped selling them because customers were coming in with the same failure. The alloy they use is brittle at the mounting tabs and wears out from repeated vibration. Mine last less than a year.
    This is an older post that I am going to circle back to.

***it should also be in another sub-forum, and not here -- apologies***

I was at my LBS not long ago to get a brake caliper replaced on my commuter. It was late morning on a weekday so the LBS was not bustling like it usually is after work and on weekends. I was able to have a better look around at things while I was waiting. Lo and behold, there were SWAT Bandits hanging on a display rack. Dammit did they look slick.

Given that I am rocking a Specialized Power saddle on my Sight, I thought I would grab one. It was dirt cheap ($22 CDN). I figured what the hell.

I brought it home and installed it on my Sight. Oh my. The thing is incredible. I have a TON of clearance between it and my dropper stanchion, it comes nowhere close to my rear tire with the seat dropped and my shock compressed (although I have not yet emptied the shock to put the linkage through its full travel), and it is STABLE AF.

To address I.A.N.'s comments above, I am going to put another strap around it to take the weight off the bracket that is attached to the underside of the saddle.

I have been obsessing about riding packless and am committed to doing it this year, apart from epic rides. The SWAT Bandit, combined with the SWAT Zee cage with tool, checks all boxes and is the best solution I have come across so far.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-specialized.jpg

That said, for the Honzo, I am going to keep that 30th B-Day Edition saddle on there. I like WTB saddles and this one is particularly rad. I have the Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag on order (should be here in a week or so (only about $22 CDN as well - same as the Bandit). This, combined with the Zee SWAT cage and tool, looks to me to be the best solution for a non-Specialized saddle. I shall see soon...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-hotlapsgripper-black-full-open.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_ae.jpg

As for my Honzo, it's still at the shop. It's minus 28 this morning.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_ad.jpg

It may as well be there than in my garage. I still have a few final tweaks to be done to it anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteXTC View Post

Skickat frŚn min iPhone med Tapatalk
    Looks awesome

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Whats the difference between

Big Honzo
    Honzo AL
    Honzo AL DL
    Honzo AL DR
    Honzo CR Trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Not sure what you're after.
    Big Honzo vs Honzo: wheel size, geometry.
    Honzo AL/DL vs Honzo CR Trail: frame material.
    Honzo AL vs Honzo AL/DR vs Honzo AL/DL: components.
    Details are here: KONA BIKES | MTB | HONZO (the 2019 model range has slightly different model names, at least where I live).

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'm contemplating bumping travel up to 140 mm, possibly with an angleset (Works Components) on my 2018 Honzo ST. Does -2 / -1.5 / -1 degree work with a tapered steerer? (I saw someone suggest on some that it might not work, but it seems nobody in this thread had a problem.) Also, any recommendations are welcome

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    My Honzo Ti with a 140 mm fork and no angle headset feels great. I pushed the wheel back a little in the dropouts to about a 425mm chainstay to help evenly weight the wheels when cornering. Really enjoying it on basically every trail I can find.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Man this thread is a bad influence on me.... just pulled the trigger on some parts to build up a honzo st from some parts I already have off my salsa timberjack. So far I've ordered

Renthal carbon 35 bars 800mm
    Renthal apex 35 40mm stem
    DT swiss m1900 wheels
    Maxxis ardent 29*2.4s
    180/160 shimano ice tech roters
    Tons more to come but that will have to wait till the next pay check

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamboatSteamer View Post
    My Honzo Ti with a 140 mm fork and no angle headset feels great. I pushed the wheel back a little in the dropouts to about a 425mm chainstay to help evenly weight the wheels when cornering. Really enjoying it on basically every trail I can find.
    Similar experience here. I have a 36 at 150 on my Ti, but run the dropouts all the way forward at 415. Love it and would never part with it. Might drop the fork to 140 though, as it needs a service anyways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashcrazy View Post
    Man this thread is a bad influence on me.... just pulled the trigger on some parts to build up a honzo st from some parts I already have off my salsa timberjack. So far I've ordered

Renthal carbon 35 bars 800mm
    Renthal apex 35 40mm stem
    DT swiss m1900 wheels
    Maxxis ardent 29*2.4s
    180/160 shimano ice tech roters
    Tons more to come but that will have to wait till the next pay check

Welcome to the tribe. I'm sure you'll enjoy the new ride.
    Regarding the tires, depending on your terrain and style, you might wanna consider Minions instead of the ardents. I had ardents in the beginning and they were no good, I got rid of them after a mighty crash that was caused because they suddenly lost grip during an off camber turn. I'm on Minions on all my mtbs since then, and very happy with those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    Not a lot of love for the CR on this thread. Where are all my plastic homies hiding?!
    24 pounds of sinning and grinning

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

2017 Honzo AL DL

Here is my 2017 AL DL!! I've replaced most of the stock parts. I feel that Kona could do a better job specing parts for the Honzo.

Rockshox Yari 140mm with MRP ramp control
    Spank Ozzy 350 wheels with Hope pro4 hubs
    Shimano Ice tech rotos 180mm front 160mm rear
    2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF front 2.4 Ardent rear
    SRAM Eagle GX drivetrain
    Absolute Black oval Chain ring
    BBinfinite bottom bracket
    Shimano XT brakes
    Xfusion 125mm dropper
    Ergon seat
    ESI extra chunky grips

Eventually I think I'm going to do the damper 2 upgrade kit on the Yari fork, but for now she rides great. If I had to do it over I would just build up a frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-52993320_302010560461951_8934288409615138816_n.jpg  

Last edited by Ashe-villian; 03-03-2019 at 03:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Another piece of my build is coming!
    The only reason I went with alu is my kona dealer is out of stock and I got a good deal on this frame

mtbr member

New Bike Day/1st Honzo!!!

2019 Kona Honzo ST XL
    Rockshox Revelation RC 140mm
    SRAM GX 10-46 drivetrain
    SRAM Level TLM brakes w/ 180mm rotors
    Raceface Arc 30 wheels
    Rockshox Reverb 170mm
    RaceFace bottom bracket
    Chromag Contacts pedals
    Continental Trail Kings 29x2.4

So stoked, more pics soon!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_2614.jpg  

-Ty

mtbr member
    Ty, is the 10-46 cassette a typo or did that really get released?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    Ty, is the 10-46 cassette a typo or did that really get released?
    Was a typo, sorry. GX drivetrain w/ Sunrace 11-46 cassette 👍
    -Ty

mtbr member
    Bummer, I was pretty stoked about that as I am also running the sunrace 11-46. Nice looking Honzo, btw.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I have a 2019 Honzo ST I'd like to add a dropper post to. Appears I need cable guides to secure the dropper cable onto the water bottle type of bolts along the frame.

I've come across "Ragley Universal Cable Guide Kit" so far. Any other options you've found to work that you like?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 4runn View Post
    I have a 2019 Honzo ST I'd like to add a dropper post to.
    I've come across "Ragley Universal Cable Guide Kit" so far. Any other options you've found to work that you like?
    I found the Ragley cable guide visually obtrusive and very fiddly: they bite into the housing so it's impossible to move it in either direction and they rotate when torqued so finding the right orientation isn't easy.

I'm using P-clips (4.3 mm worked fine for me, cost close to nothing) and rotor bolts. (One P-clip at the end of the down tube and a second one where the bottle cage is. My bottle cage is made of plastic and I cut out a bit to make space for the cable guide, but I guess you could just as well have the P-clip between bottle cage and down tube.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Similar experience here. I have a 36 at 150 on my Ti, but run the dropouts all the way forward at 415. Love it and would never part with it. Might drop the fork to 140 though, as it needs a service anyways.
    Thanks for the feedback! I've upped to 140 mm (left the rear at 415) and it rides really well. Initially I was confused by the additional dive in the corners (I guess the oil change added to that), but got used to it.
    I think go back to 120 mm at the next oil change just for comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudackl View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I've upped to 140 mm (left the rear at 415) and it rides really well. Initially I was confused by the additional dive in the corners (I guess the oil change added to that), but got used to it.
    I think go back to 120 mm at the next oil change just for comparison.
    Good to hear you are enjoying the update, glad to help!
    Which fork, stem length and handlebar width/angles are you running?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Good to hear you are enjoying the update, glad to help!
    Which fork, stem length and handlebar width/angles are you running?
    Thanks!
    I'm on a ST 2018 medium, RS Revelation RC 51 mm offset, no spacer after 140 mm / 15 mm spacer before, 40 mm stem, 750 mm handlebar with 20 mm rise, 8į back sweep, 5į up sweep.

Would've liked to play with a -1į angleset, but I miserably failed at getting the lower cup out with a PVC pipe.

mtbr member
    I'm on a ST 2018 medium, RS Revelation RC 51 mm offset, no spacer after 140 mm / 15 mm spacer before, 40 mm stem, 750 mm handlebar with 20 mm rise, 8į back sweep, 5į up sweep.

Would've liked to play with a -1į angleset, but I miserably failed at getting the lower cup out with a PVC pipe.
    Thanks for the quick response, very interesting. Have a 780 bar (not sure about the angles) and also a 40mm stem.
    Also interesting idea with the angle set. I'm afraid I would misalign them...
    I used an old seatpost or a long screwdriver to tap out the cups. Just gave it a few rounds of slight taps to avoid tilting it too much in one direction.
    Good luck with the project, @rideeverything seems to be very happy with his 2degree set

mtbr member
    I made a headset removal tool out of a piece of copper pipe. I cut slots on one end and spread them open so, it works just like the shop tool.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I just bought a big Honzo st

mtbr member
    Very nice, looks great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I'm looking to add a Wolftooth dropper lever on my bike. I have Shimano XT brakes and would like to do the I spec and just connect the dropper remote to the front brake. I know that Shimano has had many revisions with this system. Can someone point me in the right direction with what would be the best option?? I'm not sure what to buy. Here is the remote I'm looking at and it has 2 options for shimano. TIA

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nt=20300121605

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe-villian View Post
    I'm looking to add a Wolftooth dropper lever on my bike. I have Shimano XT brakes and would like to do the I spec and just connect the dropper remote to the front brake. I know that Shimano has had many revisions with this system. Can someone point me in the right direction with what would be the best option?? I'm not sure what to buy. Here is the remote I'm looking at and it has 2 options for shimano. TIA

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...nt=20300121605
    I just did this - WT remote on XT lever (4 pot 8020 brakes) using the i-spec.

I am slammed with work at the moment. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Is this urgent?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I just did this - WT remote on XT lever (4 pot 8020 brakes) using the i-spec.

I am slammed with work at the moment. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Is this urgent?
    Not urgent!!! I have the XT 8000, but would like to do the same. Thanks for fielding my question.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I built up my Honzo last year with Shimano XT BR-M8000 Disc Brakes and used the Wolf Tooth Dropper Post Remote, Shimano Is-Ii / Light Action option. They fit perfectly so it was only one clamp by my L grip. Side note, I got the fox performance transfer post, 150mm drop, and it has been a great combo. Hope this helps and enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Very nice, looks great!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe-villian View Post
    Not urgent!!! I have the XT 8000, but would like to do the same. Thanks for fielding my question.
    Iím in Asheville too!

high pivot witchcraft
    I built up my Honzo last year with Shimano XT BR-M8000 Disc Brakes and used the Wolf Tooth Dropper Post Remote, Shimano Is-Ii / Light Action option. They fit perfectly so it was only one clamp by my L grip. Side note, I got the fox performance transfer post, 150mm drop, and it has been a great combo. Hope this helps and enjoy the build!
    I have the same set up on my Honzo, except 8020s and I have not gone for the Light action lever with either of my Transfers.

On my FS I have the WT remote with the MatchMaker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So what special shimano parts do I need Based on the IS-Ii remote?? or does it connect directly to the XT brakes. Seems Shimano has had several revisions and I would prefer to buy the right parts. Thanks
    Last edited by Ashe-villian; 03-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Next step
    Last edited by Ashe-villian; 03-12-2019 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

At some point I plan on getting a Fox transfer 150mm dropper. I'm not super happy with my current dropper and it is only 125mm, but I'm going to wait until it craps out.

high pivot witchcraft
    Finally picked it up tonight. I have a few more tweaks to do to it but it's basically done.

It cost me some fairly serious cash but whatever.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_b5.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_b7.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_b9.jpg

EDIT - I replaced the stock components with the following:

• We Are One Agent Wheelset, custom Kona 30th Anniversary Edition decals, DT Swiss 350 hubs, 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade
    • Fox Factory 34 fork at 140mm
    • Syncros Trail Fender
    • Fox Factory 150mm Transfer post
    • Wolf Tooth remote, i-spec II adaptor
    • RaceFace Turbine crank with boots
    • RaceFace Oval 28 tooth ring
    • XT 11-46 cassette
    • XT shifter
    • XT 8020 4 piston brakes - 180/180 ice-tech rotors
    • RaceFace SixC bar - 800mm, 20mm rise
    • 2.5 EXO 3C DHF
    • 2.5 EXO DC Aggressor
    • Kona Wah Wah II pedals
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 03-13-2019 at 12:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Finally picked it up tonight. I have a few more tweaks to do to it but it's basically done.

Attachment 1241820

Attachment 1241821

Attachment 1241822
    I love the colors. Nice bike!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by 225 View Post
    I love the colors. Nice bike!
    Thanks! I think it's my favourite bike I have owned in my life. And I have owned (and own) a few decent ones...

mtbr member
    Thanks! I think it's my favourite bike I have owned in my life. And I have owned (and own) a few decent ones...
    wow that looks really stunning! the colors are really coming together nicely, i second that. super stoked for you, you've been waiting half a year now, right?
    all the best luck with it!

high pivot witchcraft
    wow that looks really stunning! the colors are really coming together nicely, i second that. super stoked for you, you've been waiting half a year now, right?
    all the best luck with it!
    Thanks.

Bought it in late August. Waited forever for parts, most notably the Fox fork.

Part of the delay is my fault though. I have had stretches lately where, between work and my daughter's math class, I have been buried. I could have had it earlier than now. With the snow we have here, I didn't really mind it sitting at the shop for a while.

All that said, I am happy to finally have it home.

It's currently in my kitchen, out of the cold, and on display. Lol. Hope my other bikes in the subzero garage are not jelly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It connects directly to the Shimano XT brake clamp. It just sits between the brake clamp and the bar. When you tighten the brake clamp to the bar it pinches the dropper lever there as well. No extra parts needed.

high pivot witchcraft
    A few more pics. Please PM me I am becoming irritating...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c2.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c3.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c1.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c4.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c6.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c5.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_c7.jpg

Loving the factory look of the Syncros bolt on fender. No more zip ties... Woo Hoo!!!

I understand We Are One will be going live with bars and stems next month. I will be throwing down on that without delay. I also understand that their id 35 wheelsets are soon to go prime time. If so, I may also pick up a set of them in 27.5 and have a plus option to roll on.

And yeah - the finned XT brake pads are chattery AF. I will have to do the velcro trick others have posted to quiet them down.

The other issue is that the pedals have a bit of resistance from the RF crank boots. I already have one washer on the pedals. I may have to add a second one, or do some custom trimming of the boot.

Wow. The XT shifter is loud and notchy. Over the years, SRAM and Shimano have swapped spots on the buttery vs. "definite" feel of their shifters.

And speaking of loud, the 36 tooth star ratchet adds some noise to the rear hub. The standard 18 tooth is almost Onyx-like compared to the 36 tooth.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 03-13-2019 at 10:55 AM.

Bnerd

Name:	fullsizeoutput_b5.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	1241825

Name:	fullsizeoutput_b7.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	1241827

Name:	fullsizeoutput_b9.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	322.2 KB 
ID:	1241828

EDIT - I replaced the stock components with the following:

• We Are One Agent Wheelset, custom Kona 30th Anniversary Edition decals, DT Swiss 350 hubs, 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade
    • Fox Factory 34 fork at 140mm
    • Syncros Trail Fender
    • Fox Factory 150mm Transfer post
    • Wolf Tooth remote, i-spec II adaptor
    • RaceFace Turbine crank with boots
    • RaceFace Oval 28 tooth ring
    • XT 11-46 cassette
    • XT shifter
    • XT 8020 4 piston brakes - 180/180 ice-tech rotors
    • RaceFace SixC bar - 800mm, 20mm rise
    • 2.5 EXO 3C DHF
    • 2.5 EXO DC Aggressor
    • Kona Wah Wah II pedals
    NICE!!

Sweet to see it's finally come together!
    The matchy-matchy with the orange is on point!

I'm still jealous of your frame colour. I'm still not completely sold on the metallic sparkle green I have. But I've been lazy and didn't follow through on my idea to strip the paint... yet.

Are you going with the crank booties because of matchy-ness? Those aren't carbon are they?

I'm itching to ride my new Honzo but it's still going to be a while because of snow. I only had a short taste of it right before the snow fell.
    A friend has been going further afield to ride regularly every week but her days off don't match mine so, unfortunately, I can't join her. I just have to live vicariously through her posted pictures!

mtbr member
    A few more pics. Please PM me I am becoming irritating...
    Goddamn, absolutely stunning! that color composition is total eye candy. thanks for the pics, please don't stop posting...!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    It connects directly to the Shimano XT brake clamp. It just sits between the brake clamp and the bar. When you tighten the brake clamp to the bar it pinches the dropper lever there as well. No extra parts needed.
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I found the Ragley cable guide visually obtrusive and very fiddly: they bite into the housing so it's impossible to move it in either direction and they rotate when torqued so finding the right orientation isn't easy.

I'm using P-clips (4.3 mm worked fine for me, cost close to nothing) and rotor bolts. (One P-clip at the end of the down tube and a second one where the bottle cage is. My bottle cage is made of plastic and I cut out a bit to make space for the cable guide, but I guess you could just as well have the P-clip between bottle cage and down tube.)
    Thanks for the reply.

While I was at Home Depot over the weekend, picked up a bag of plastic cable clamps. Fits the bolts on the frame, and dropper housing fits. Less than $2.00 for 18 clips. Have plenty if they break.

https://www.gardnerbender.com/en/p/P...nch-Dia-Smooth

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just installed a -1į angle set (Works Components). A brief test on the street felt good -- in fact, no difference was felt :-). It'll take a while before I can test it in the wild due to weather and work. The fork is at 140 mm at the moment, but I presume I'll go back to 120 mm (and keep the -1į).

I'm not really knowing what I'm doing here, though. I don't even have any complaint about the standard Honzo geo, just playing with it for fun.

Also interesting idea with the angle set. I'm afraid I would misalign them...
    I used an old seatpost or a long screwdriver to tap out the cups. Just gave it a few rounds of slight taps to avoid tilting it too much in one direction.
    Good luck with the project, @rideeverything seems to be very happy with his 2degree set
    Installation was easier than I thought. I estimated the centre of the head tube using a string from the centre of the top tube through the head tube to the centre of the down tube, marked the positions on a bit of tape on the outside of the head tube, pressed the cups in a little bit by hand to align them, and then used the press. So far, it appears the result was perfectly precise (in the sense that I cannot feel or see any misalignment). I'm usually a bit OCD in such things but I can't tell in which direction it might be off a millimetre. So from my experience, I'd say don't let the alignment issue hold you could back!

I also tried lifting the bike with the string threaded through the head tube in the hope gravity would centre the string in the head tube, but that didn't work well with this string, I guess a thin nylon string would have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I made a headset removal tool out of a piece of copper pipe. I cut slots on one end and spread them open so, it works just like the shop tool.
    That's what I tried with PVC. After smashing another couple of pipes for the lower cup I used a hanging rail from the cupboard, worked alright.

Bnerd
    I was out for my first trail ride of the season earlier this week!

Here's a small update in regards to the how my modded 2019 Honzo ST rides. (Granted, it's the first ride of the season so the legs and fitness as well as bike skill are not on point!)

I've installed a -2 Works angleset and have my F36 set to 160mm. The other change is I'm running my saddle as far forward on the rails as possible.

The ride had a solid amount of elevation gain. Admittedly I have been a little concerned how well I'd be position on the bike for climbing. It would seem the concern was for naught. I guess a Winter of theorizing had me worrying for nothing.
    I felt very centred and well positioned during the climb. I didn't have any front wheel wander even through some of the steeper tech sections. I find that I don't need to move to the nose of the saddle as soon as I did on my OG Honzo on steep sections.

Descending was fun!
    I was reminded how much different this modern Honzo geo is from the 2012 OG Honzo that I had previously. It wasn't until the bottom of the descent that I really started to feel the skills starting to being warmed up, but it was still just the first ride.
    The suppleness of the bike/rear end was highlighted in comparison to the OG Honzo. It definitely felt like the bike was soaking the chatter up more than the beating I used to feel on my old Honzo.
    Also, the overall longer length was noticeable because I didn't need to be surgically precise with my weight shifting to get the bike to perform. It is more neutral and allows a wider range of movement over the bike compared to the OG Honzo.

I realize I may be repeating myself here compared to my posts when I received my 2019 frame right at the end of the bike season last year but the internet has an insanely short memory so I'll share again. I mean, who goes back more than a couple of pages when looking for info! lol!!!

Here's a picture from my ride. No, there isn't a Honzo in the photo because I'm the one taking the picture. You'll just have to content yourself with my wife chugging her way up the climb Happy Trail in Pemberton, BC.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190325_180332.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    I was out for my first trail ride of the season earlier this week!

Here's a small update in regards to the how my modded 2019 Honzo ST rides. (Granted, it's the first ride of the season so the legs and fitness as well as bike skill are not on point!)

I've installed a -2 Works angleset and have my F36 set to 160mm. The other change is I'm running my saddle as far forward on the rails as possible.

The ride had a solid amount of elevation gain. Admittedly I have been a little concerned how well I'd be position on the bike for climbing. It would seem the concern was for naught. I guess a Winter of theorizing had me worrying for nothing.
    I felt very centred and well positioned during the climb. I didn't have any front wheel wander even through some of the steeper tech sections. I find that I don't need to move to the nose of the saddle as soon as I did on my OG Honzo on steep sections.

Descending was fun!
    I was reminded how much different this modern Honzo geo is from the 2012 OG Honzo that I had previously. It wasn't until the bottom of the descent that I really started to feel the skills starting to being warmed up, but it was still just the first ride.
    The suppleness of the bike/rear end was highlighted in comparison to the OG Honzo. It definitely felt like the bike was soaking the chatter up more than the beating I used to feel on my old Honzo.
    Also, the overall longer length was noticeable because I didn't need to be surgically precise with my weight shifting to get the bike to perform. It is more neutral and allows a wider range of movement over the bike compared to the OG Honzo.

I realize I may be repeating myself here compared to my posts when I received my 2019 frame right at the end of the bike season last year but the internet has an insanely short memory so I'll share again. I mean, who goes back more than a couple of pages when looking for info! lol!!!

Here's a picture from my ride. No, there isn't a Honzo in the photo because I'm the one taking the picture. You'll just have to content yourself with my wife chugging her way up the climb Happy Trail in Pemberton, BC.

Name:	IMG_20190325_180332.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	335.7 KB 
ID:	1244263
    Beautiful.

We are getting close here as well. It's been warm. I have retired my winter studded tire commuter for another year. That makes 11 winter seasons now on that bike - a 2008 Kona Fire Mountain. The crappy Dart fork disintegrated long ago from corrosion so I have been running it rigid with a Kona Project 2 fork for a long time now. MUCH better. I am on my 3rd rear brake caliper and my 4th or 5th rear d. But it made it through another winter. Woohoo!!!

"...It wasn't until the bottom of the descent that I really started to feel the skills starting to being warmed up, but it was still just the first ride..."

I am shitting a bit right now. I haven't ridden a hard tail on dirt for probably 15 years. I sure hope I have the skills to do this and that I don't beat myself to death in the process. It should be interesting. I bet my Sight is going to feel bottomless after riding the Honzo for a bit.

high pivot witchcraft
    ...Are you going with the crank booties because of matchy-ness? Those aren't carbon are they?
    RaceFace Turbines. Alloy. My buddy at the LBS who rebuilt the Honzo threw them on.

My daughter has Turbines on her bike and I added a pair to hers as well.

I have Next Rs on my Sight and I added them on it too.

Probably don't need them on the Turbines but what the hell. Can't hurt. I think they were $7.50 for a pair.

The problem with them though is that they make my Way Wah 2s bind. I may have to either cut the hole bigger, or just pull them off altogether.

Bnerd
    I am shitting a bit right now. I haven't ridden a hard tail on dirt for probably 15 years. I sure hope I have the skills to do this and that I don't beat myself to death in the process. It should be interesting. I bet my Sight is going to feel bottomless after riding the Honzo for a bit.
    I used to be all about beginner mountain bikers starting out on a hardtail. Now I'm thinking that a hardtail is better for more experienced riders.
    I've found that an HT really helps me refine my skillset. I start my season on the HT by exclusively riding it for the first month or so. And I find when I get back on the fully I'm that much faster and more in tune with being able to push my limits.
    Your Sight will definitely feel plush after riding an HT!

As to all the people who sell getting beginners on HT's, I say re-evaluate what you're trying to do for them. Why make it harder and less enjoyable.
    Just because I started out on a HT at the dawn of mountain biking doesn't mean that someone new to the sport has to go through what I experienced.

mtbr member
    Finally managed to put the 27+ Minions on...the rear wheel is not 100% true yet so I have to take it off once more, and therefore I didn't put any sealant in yet. But for the catwalk, she's wearing the new boots already...
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190330_184129.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190330_184208.jpg

As posted in the "Someone please buy the Honzo Ti..." thread, tire clearance is tight. Looking forward to the first ride.

mtbr member
    Itís been riding weather down the road for about a month. Got to love the red dirt and slick rock. After 2 years this bike is still fantastic. .Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-e8028eb5-4f13-44e1-9ea2-59da7c3adc80.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone looking to sell their non boost XL honzo frame? Or even L from the OG years with a 20Ē seattube.

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0104.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0135.jpg

Whoops! You know when you manual that root, hit the square edge with your back wheel right as your weight shifts back? Yep.

How much pressure you 27.5+ guys running on your rear? Iím 220lb and had been running about 19psi, but now thinking I may need more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    You also could check out some tire inserts from cush core, they have a 27.5+ option. I listened to the downtime podcast interview with the owner / creator of cush core and the product seems like pretty sweet addition to a wheel / tire system, especially on a playful hardtail like the Honzo. However, I haven't taken the leap yet to get any myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I usually run 16 on 3.0 190lbs here in the PNW

mtbr member
    You also could check out some tire inserts from cush core, they have a 27.5+ option. I listened to the downtime podcast interview with the owner / creator of cush core and the product seems like pretty sweet addition to a wheel / tire system, especially on a playful hardtail like the Honzo. However, I haven't taken the leap yet to get any myself.
    Thatís not a bad idea at all. The reviews seem to indicate some benefits to reducing tire squirm and trail chatter as well.

But ooof - itís an investment. $150 for 2!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yea... they are pricey. I need to try them out sometime. If they really provide the benefits they advertise - reducing tire roll in corners, providing damping to the actual tire with impacts, and protect my carbon wheels... may be worth it... If anyone does try them with the Honzo please let me know!

high pivot witchcraft
    Finally managed to put the 27+ Minions on...the rear wheel is not 100% true yet so I have to take it off once more, and therefore I didn't put any sealant in yet. But for the catwalk, she's wearing the new boots already...

Name:	IMG_20190330_184129.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	1245041

Name:	IMG_20190330_184208.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	1245042

As posted in the "Someone please buy the Honzo Ti..." thread, tire clearance is tight. Looking forward to the first ride.
    Outstanding. That belongs in a museum of industrial design.

I like mine. I like yours more.

Bad. Ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Been reading while but this is my first post. Half way through my honzo build and and I'm in search for an adapter for the rear brake. Caliper is a guide rs 180mm rotor. I've searched and I know it's on here but I cant find it. I add a few pics, dont judge the shop I've got to many fires for a dedicated bike shop (maybe some day) thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190326_181451.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190406_123816.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190406_123612.jpg  

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaTurtle View Post
    Been reading while but this is my first post. Half way through my honzo build and and I'm in search for an adapter for the rear brake. Caliper is a guide rs 180mm rotor. I've searched and I know it's on here but I cant find it. I add a few pics, dont judge the shop I've got to many fires for a dedicated bike shop (maybe some day) thanks for the help.
    Unfortunately, I can't help you.

I do own the same grips though...in both black AND orange.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_a0.jpg

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaTurtle View Post
    I'm using an NSB brake adapter for a 180mm rotor on the rear of my '19 Honzo ST.
    Not sure where you're located but there is an option to shop through US/International on their site.

Link - https://northshorebillet.ca/collecti...brake-adapters

mtbr member
    Outstanding. That belongs in a museum of industrial design.

I like mine. I like yours more.

Bad. Ass.
    Thanks a lot Mike, that's quite a compliment!! I do like yours a lot as well!
    Have a great day, and enjoy the weekend!

mtbr member
    Thatís not a bad idea at all. The reviews seem to indicate some benefits to reducing tire squirm and trail chatter as well.

But ooof - itís an investment. $150 for 2!!

Hey, check this out:
    https://planetx.us1.list-manage.com/...d&e=1b4d3b2a25

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Those look like they may help with puncture protection, idk if they have the engineering that the cush core does to address tire squirm in corners and actually damping the tire after a compression. They are definitely less expensive... maybe cheaper as well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have a Ď13 steel honzo with the stock Revelation and stock Formula 20 front hub, but Iím looking at picking up a DVO Diamond which 15mm, does anyone know of end caps/conversion kits that will fit the formula hub. jensonUSA has a bunch of them, just not sure if any will fit or does Formula make some ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_5627.jpg
    2019 Kona Honzo with DVO Saphire, Absolute Black oval ring and 4 piston XTís. Still havenít taken her out yet but Iím beyond stoked on the build. Thanks to Grizzly Cycles in Bakersfield, CA for getting everything dialed for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atkrocket View Post

Name:	IMG_5627.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	1246523
    2019 Kona Honzo with DVO Saphire, Absolute Black oval ring and 4 piston XTís. Still havenít taken her out yet but Iím beyond stoked on the build. Thanks to Grizzly Cycles in Bakersfield, CA for getting everything dialed for me.

kinda digging the fork/frame color combo. Nicely done
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    trying to remove this errant
    Last edited by StressTester; 04-12-2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: wrong window

mtbr member
    Those look like they may help with puncture protection, idk if they have the engineering that the cush core does to address tire squirm in corners and actually damping the tire after a compression. They are definitely less expensive... maybe cheaper as well?
    Looks like tubular foam, I donít see any contour like CC - looks more like straight up puncture protection. And the price makes sense on that front.

CC is designed to sit and stay snug to the rim, not float in the tire like this or Huck Norris. Itís overpriced but seems to have additional benefits the others donít - and stellar reviews to boot. I may bite the bullet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    So I was in the shop trying to put on my gx 12 speed cassette and it will NOT fir on my xd driver. I bought the wheels at a local bike swap but something is off. I ordered a new XD driver should be an easy swap but wtf. Thought they were all the same? Build is going good and should be done by the end of the month, just in time for the Montana riding season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190412_144213.jpg  

mtbr member

I just installed my own new wheel with a 370 hub and GX cassette (XG-1150) and mine fit.

Granted, it didnít thread in by hand like they show in the install video - it didnít sit down on the splines like I expected and I had to use the cassette tool and ratchet to get it started (carefully) and it went on smoothly, but with more effort than I was expecting.

Could be either set of threads is a little rough from the factory and just needs a little ďpushĒ to marry up.

Just noticed you have the 12 speed so not an identical install, but there should be no reason your parts wonít fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quick updates. The new xd driver came today and the gx cassette went on like it should. I still have no idea why the old one didn't work so I took some picks to see if anyone here new why. If my old 3 pawl will work for anybody let me know, I'll sell it cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190415_143615.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190415_143603.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by powdertrax View Post
    I have a Ď13 steel honzo with the stock Revelation and stock Formula 20 front hub, but Iím looking at picking up a DVO Diamond which 15mm, does anyone know of end caps/conversion kits that will fit the formula hub. jensonUSA has a bunch of them, just not sure if any will fit or does Formula make some ?
    Powdertrax, my mechanic said he got the endcaps from Formula for my DVO Saphire. If you donít have any luck there I would contact DVO directly, they should be able to get you squared away, awesome company.

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0193.jpg

Quick pre lunch ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Name:	IMG_0193.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	1247219

Quick pre lunch ride.

Nice build, howís she ride? I donít have any experience with a steel HT, just the Honzo CR so i donít have anything to compare it to.

Last edited by atkrocket; 04-17-2019 at 01:54 PM.

mtbr member
    My '17 Honzo CR frame is in the mail! So stoked.
    Just a quick question on bottom bracket. I see it was spec'd with a Sram PF92 BB. I've got a Race Face aeffect crankset. It's the EXI interface. 24mm spindle I'm pretty sure. What BB do I need to run this crankset on the Honzo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What are your thoughts on running 29 vs 27 plus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atkrocket View Post
    Nice build, howís she ride? Indict have any experience with a steel HT, just the Honzo CR so i donít have anything to compare it to.

Canít compare to CR, but the descents are much nicer on the ST than AL. Do do feel the extra weight on the climbs, but not too bad. Also, the ST seems just as stiff as the AL when hammering and cornering - no flex here that I can feel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Very cool. Iím sure climbing that thing is a beast!!! Itíll just make you stronger and faster when youíre on a lighter bike haha! Glad you dig it

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Has anyone built up a 2019 Big Honzo CR Frame and gotten a weight on it? It'll be replacing my Stumpjumper carbon hardtail that is silly light...I don't want any scale shock if I buy the thing and build it up.

My goal is under 25 lbs with a Fox 34 140mm fork and 29x2.3" tires on Stans Arch Wheels. I'll probably start with no dropper. Am I delusional?

Norūwegr
    If someone knows of anyone looking for a small Ti, please send them my way
    Primarily selling, but trades for a highend wheelset/store credit for one would work too.

Bnerd
    This is an initial impressions post of my new 2019 Honzo ST.

I'm big at 200cm, 111kg (6'6", 245lbs).

My setup is a -2 Works angleset with a 2016 F36 RC2 at 160mm (you can reference all the build details in my late November 2018 post).
    I'm running the dropouts fully out bringing the CS to 427mm.

The HA is sitting at a touch over 64* (64.39*) unsagged. At ~27% sagged the HA is a touch over 66*(66.12*).
    WB is 1256mm unsagged, 1239mm sagged.

I built it up near the end of November 2018 and only had a few rides on it before the winter fully set in.
    Now, so far this season, I've been out on 10 rides with 3622m (11 883ft) of climbing which means similar numbers for descending.

I realize that comparing this bike to my 2012 OG Honzo is very much apples to oranges but that is my frame of reference.

Fit on the 2019 is much better than the 2012. The modernized geo and sizing is great for us tall people. All hail longer Reach!!

Besides the HA the biggest difference is the wheelbase. That is really noticeable when riding fast through tech. The bike feels much more stable. The downside is I need to adjust how I lift the front end for quick moves. I need more of a manual lift setup rather than a straight over the bars lift if I want the front to hover up for longer.

The HA definitely inspires more confidence in the steeps. With the front wheel being further out in front there is even less worry for going over the front. On my 2012 Honzo I never really had an OTB sensation as much as I had a feeling of being much higher up on the bike. The 2012 definitely felt like a much taller bike. Like I was almost perched over it compared to being in it on the 2019.

Climbing I feel much better on the 2019 compared to the 2012. I don't have to move to the nose of the saddle until much later on steeper climbs. I do have my saddle slid as far forward as possible on my 2019 Honzo. It puts me in a good position overall for climbing. I don't need to use as much body english as I did previously when I was climbing on my 2012. Longer climbs on the 2012 were much more tiring because I needed to be quite far forward on the bike regularly.
    The front end does get a little light on the really steep climbs but moving up to nose of the saddle mitigates that sensation.
    (As a total tangent, the whole light/wandering front end comments really have me wondering about people's climbing technique. Do the people who complain about light front ends just sit in one position when riding their bike regardless of terrain? Riding a bike is a dynamic sport. If you're not moving over your bike in tricky/technical situations regardless of whether you're standing or seated then you're doing it wrong!)
    Even with the longer WB switchbacks haven't been a problem. I've always been on as big of a bike as I can get so this might not be as much of a problem to me because I know how to navigate this size of a bike through tight corners. To highlight that I remember a friend commenting on how well I threaded the needle through a very tight section of trail. I really didn't notice anything because I'm used to my size and the size of bike I ride. Goddamn, average sized people!! lol!!

Handling in slower tighter tech I haven't found to be a problem. If anything I've needed to get off the brakes more to let momentum help me out rather than being hesitant and on the brakes. As I said I'm used to large sized bikes so it's all normal to me in the handling department.

Descending had no surprises. The bike feels good.
    The thing that stands out to me is the stability. Most likely because of the wheelbase.
    The thing that is really different from the 2012 frame is how much smoother the bike feels. The trail chatter is less noticeable on the 2019. On the 2012 I regularly felt beat up after riding faster tech trails. Whereas now on the 2019 that sting is pretty much gone. I guess the frame has much more forgiveness. It is a hardtail so smashing through tech is still bumpy but just not as harsh as on my 2012.
    As I mentioned earlier about lifting the front end up I've needed to adapt my technique to loft the front end. I find it's more noticeable when I'm descending because I need to move a little further back than I'm used to when needing to perform that maneuver. It isn't a drastic change but it's a change nonetheless.

Overall I'm still very happy I'm riding a Kona Honzo ST!
    The 2012 was my first intro to both a 29er and a steel hardtail. I'm stoked I took the plunge all those years ago!

Here's a look at my bike as it now stands.
    This is from a couple of days ago riding in Pemberton, BC.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190416_110058.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    Has anyone built up a 2019 Big Honzo CR Frame and gotten a weight on it? It'll be replacing my Stumpjumper carbon hardtail that is silly light...I don't want any scale shock if I buy the thing and build it up.

My goal is under 25 lbs with a Fox 34 140mm fork and 29x2.3" tires on Stans Arch Wheels. I'll probably start with no dropper. Am I delusional?

Sub 25 is totally doable, I think my '17 CR with carbon wheels and lightish tires is ~22.5 with dropper and Pike.

mtbr member

Here's a look at my bike as it now stands.
    This is from a couple of days ago riding in Pemberton, BC.

Name:	IMG_20190416_110058.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	585.8 KB 
ID:	1247475
    Very cool! Looks great with the 36 and -2 slacked out.

Curious - how are you running your dropper cable with the bottle cage?

high pivot witchcraft

Not addressed to me but FWIW, I use P-Clips. I had to get longer bolts though because I have the P-Clip, a cage and a pump bracket mounted on top of each other.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

Bnerd

Thanks!

I'm not running P-clips like mtnbkrmike. I have the cable attached with 2 zap straps. My bottle cage has conveniently placed holes for the zaps to go through.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Sub 25 is totally doable, I think my '17 CR with carbon wheels and lightish tires is ~22.5 with dropper and Pike.
    Awesome, good to know, 22.5 pounds is a good weight!

mtbr member
    Thanks!

I'm not running P-clips like mtnbkrmike. I have the cable attached with 2 zap straps. My bottle cage has conveniently placed holes for the zaps to go through.
    Thanks guys! Currently using p-clips as well but may try the zip tie method and see how that goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    This is how mine is routed, using 1 zip tie and 2 p clips

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk
    "What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made a Loser Out of Me"

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Decided to get back into mountain biking after almost a 20 year hiatus.

Local bike shops didn't seem to stock any XL bikes. I took a plunge hoping the Kona Honzo ST would be a good fit based off of sizing specifications. I'm 6'7", and 220 lbs. Needed a bike I could fit, and one that could handle some abuse from my weight alone.

As luck would have it, Kona only sells the Honzo ST as a frame. Turned out to be a great learning experience, although costly! First time building a bike, but with some patience it turned out to be a fun project.

Kona does a horrible job representing the color of this frame. Almost appears to be teal on their website. However, it's more of a dark racing green I've grown to love.

Frame - 2019 Honzo ST XL
    Fork - MRP Ribbon Coil 29" 140mm 46 offset
    Headset - Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56 Tapered Headset
    Handlebar - Nukeproof Horizon Carbon Riser Bar 800mm
    Grips - Ergon GA3 Handlebar Grips
    Stem - Brand-X MTB Stem 70mm
    Brakes - Shimano XT M8020 Front and Rear levers and calipers 180mm front / 180mm rear
    PNW Bachelor Dropper Post 170mm with Loam lever
    Saddle - Ergon SM Comp
    Groupset GX Eagle - SRAM DUB BSA Bottom Bracket 68/73 mm - 175mm dub boost cranks
    Pedals - Kona Wah Wah 2 Composite Pedals
    Wheelset - Spank Oozy 395 29" rims with Onyx centerlock disc hubs
    Tires - Maxxis Ardent Skinwall MTB Tyre - 29", 2.4"

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-screenshot-apr-20-13-13-20.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0077.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    [QUOTE=4runn;14060333]Decided to get back into mountain biking after almost a 20 year hiatus.

Sick bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Picked up my first Kona yesterday. 2019 Big Honzo base model XL. I bought it mostly just as a spare bike that I can take camping and ride around with the family. I didn't want to bring my La Sal Peak out and leave it just locked up outside the trailer. Just cruising around camp I can see it may be pretty fun in the trails too. As with any bike I've found myself trying to figure out what I want to upgrade first haha. It's a sickness, I just can't leave anything alone. Thinking a 150 or 160 fork may be in its future.

The colors are also much different in person than on Kona's site. It looks much better in person.

You guys have some really nice looking Honzo's!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machoburrito View Post
    This is how mine is routed, using 1 zip tie and 2 p clips

I would worry about that tie rubbing the paint off of the frame over time. The idea is for the cable to not touch your frame - which is also going to rub. Iím going to try if there is a way to zip tie the cable to the bottle cage itself without interfering with the bottle fitment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would worry about that tie rubbing the paint off of the frame over time. The idea is for the cable to not touch your frame - which is also going to rub. Iím going to try if there is a way to zip tie the cable to the bottle cage itself without interfering with the bottle fitment.

Has not been an issue. As long as it is not extremely loose, the cable housing does not move at all, since it is firmly attached to the frame.

"What Made Milwaukee Famous Has Made a Loser Out of Me"

high pivot witchcraft
    You guys donít like P-Clips? I donít see any downside to them, but maybe I am missing something. Cheap, stackable with a cage, pump, etc., clean look, easy install, feather light, donít touch the paint, etc.

What am I missing?
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

Bnerd
    You guys donít like P-Clips? I donít see any downside to them, but maybe I am missing something. Cheap, stackable with a cage, pump, etc., clean look, easy install, feather light, donít touch the paint, etc.

What am I missing?
    I'm running p-clips above the bottle cage on the two other attachment points. I was lazy and didn't want to take my cage off and the cage had conveniently placed holes for zap straps!

high pivot witchcraft
    I'm running p-clips above the bottle cage on the two other attachment points. I was lazy and didn't want to take my cage off and the cage had conveniently placed holes for zap straps!
    Aaahhh! Got it.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 4runn View Post
    Decided to get back into mountain biking after almost a 20 year hiatus.

Local bike shops didn't seem to stock any XL bikes. I took a plunge hoping the Kona Honzo ST would be a good fit based off of sizing specifications. I'm 6'7", and 220 lbs. Needed a bike I could fit, and one that could handle some abuse from my weight alone.

As luck would have it, Kona only sells the Honzo ST as a frame. Turned out to be a great learning experience, although costly! First time building a bike, but with some patience it turned out to be a fun project.

Kona does a horrible job representing the color of this frame. Almost appears to be teal on their website. However, it's more of a dark racing green I've grown to love.

Frame - 2019 Honzo ST XL
    Fork - MRP Ribbon Coil 29" 140mm 46 offset
    Headset - Cane Creek 40 ZS44/56 Tapered Headset
    Handlebar - Nukeproof Horizon Carbon Riser Bar 800mm
    Grips - Ergon GA3 Handlebar Grips
    Stem - Brand-X MTB Stem 70mm
    Brakes - Shimano XT M8020 Front and Rear levers and calipers 180mm front / 180mm rear
    PNW Bachelor Dropper Post 170mm with Loam lever
    Saddle - Ergon SM Comp
    Groupset GX Eagle - SRAM DUB BSA Bottom Bracket 68/73 mm - 175mm dub boost cranks
    Pedals - Kona Wah Wah 2 Composite Pedals
    Wheelset - Spank Oozy 395 29" rims with Onyx centerlock disc hubs
    Tires - Maxxis Ardent Skinwall MTB Tyre - 29", 2.4"

Name:	Screenshot at Apr 20 13-13-20.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	1247756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	honzo.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	1247757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	436.0 KB 
ID:	1247755
    Great build for having been out of it so long! You in the PHX area? Looks like Brown's Ranch. I have a carbon Honzo with 140mm fork and find it is great out here.

Norūwegr
    If you get the plastic p-clips that are flat where the screw goes through, you can easily mount that underneath the bottlecage.

mtbr member

Like this? Thin, plastic p-clips - the Ragley ones are too tall but using them up top. Thanks for the suggestion!

Norūwegr
    Yeah, thats how I did it on my ti, as long as you get the screws fastened you're good to go

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FJ40runr View Post
    Great build for having beexn out of it so long! You in the PHX area? Looks like Brown's Ranch. I have a carbon Honzo with 140mm fork and find it is great out here.
    Thanks. Lots of research and borrowed ideas, but it came together eventually. Exactly, Brown's Ranch was the Honzo's first trip out this past Saturday. Was a ton of fun, felt like a roller coaster out there with the smooth up and down flowy trails.

mtbr member
    Calling my fellow Carbon brothers. Anyone setup with a 27.5 build? I've got mine built up waiting on the bottom bracket to arrive. I have a 27.5x2.6 Nobby Nic in the back that seems to clear everywhere. I just hope it doesnt rub while weighted.

What's the biggest you guys are fitting for 27.5?

mtbr member
    This is an initial impressions post of my new 2019 Honzo ST....
    Thanks RideEverything, that was a really interesting and comprehensive review. Always enjoying your posts and pictures.
    Which tires and wheels are you riding exactly?
    Thanks!

Bnerd
    Thanks RideEverything, that was a really interesting and comprehensive review. Always enjoying your posts and pictures.
    Which tires and wheels are you riding exactly?
    Thanks!
    I'm running Minion DHF 2.5 F/R on a RaceFace Turbine R wheelset. The rims have a 30mm id.

The wheelset is alright as a whole.

The Vault hubs are fantastic! The engagement is quick and they've been running smoothly so far. I have gouged the freehub. But that's something that as a big person I do to freehubs regularly. If I can I try to swap to steel freehubs.

The rims are okay. I managed to put a solid dent into the rear rim in the first week I had them. But I didn't lose any air. I managed to bend the rim lip back out but there's a decent bulge in the rim now. Other than that they've been trucking along.

Now the spokes.
    The spokes, spokes, spokes... I shake my head at whoever decided to make the industry as a whole move to making 28 hole rear wheels. Especially on 29ers. Especially on wheels meant to be ridden hard.
    The spokes on the Turbine R are silly skinny. I've broken 2 spokes in 2 weeks. The shop where I get all my wheels built and maintained laughed at the skinny-ness of them. He just shakes his head everytime I've come in with a broken one. At least RF includes 6 extra spokes with the wheels.
    I think after the next broken spoke I'm going to get it replaced with a thicker straight gauge spoke. I may even have the whole wheel re-strung with the thicker spokes and just use the skinnies as back ups.

high pivot witchcraft
    Thanks RideEverything, that was a really interesting and comprehensive review. Always enjoying your posts and pictures...
    x2

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RideEverything again."
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Any Big Honzo CR guys throw 29Ē wheels on and ride it?

Want to build an XC hard tail but the regular Honzo CR isnít available right now but the big Honzo is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
    Any Big Honzo CR guys throw 29Ē wheels on and ride it?

Want to build an XC hard tail but the regular Honzo CR isnít available right now but the big Honzo is.
    I ordered my CR in September and they are claiming delivery on Monday. Now that's customer service. The U.S. bikes are supposed to be available and the Canadian bikes have just landed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For reference, I just weighed my 2019 Big Honzo CR size L and it came out right in 29 lb. All components are what Kona lists on their website. Weight includes Wah Wah 2 pedals. So you can probably work backwards from there by comparing component weights

mtbr member
    May 2017
    HEY THERE! SOrry if this has been covered but whats the longest dropper I can fit in my medium 2019 LE ST?

Looking at going 170-180mm drop but worried it wont insert fully into the frame?

If anyone is running a long dropper, 185mm Bike yoke specifically could you let me know if it goes all the way into the seat tube.

TIA

fraid of heights

Goodbye to Green

Last ride on the Green BigHOnzo... pics for posterity!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-back.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-front.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-side.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Iíve got a 2018 Big Honzo DL. Bashed my rear wheel last year, so I replaced it this year with a WTB KOM Tough. Never liked the stock rear hub so I put a Hope Pro 4 on. First ride out the chain was jumping in the lowest 3 or 4 gears. Measured the chain and it was well beyond the point for replacement so I bought a new chain and cassette. Still skipping and jumping after I set it up. When I put the new cassette on I noticed there was no spacer. The SRAM manual for the cassette says it needs one. So has anyone replaced the cassette and noticed if there is a spacer?

mtbr member
    Just finished building this bomber. Got a smoking deal on the frame and swapped over most of the build from my 2019 Vitus Sentier VR. Only thing I'd like to improve are the brakes and maybe a carbon handlebar.

Frame: 2017 Kona Honzo CR

Forks: 140mm RockShox Sektor RL fork

Brakes: Shimano MT-500 disc brakes, 180/160 rotors

Drivetrain: Shimano SLX 1x11

Shifter: Shimano SLX M7000

Rear Derailleur: Shimano SLX M7000

Cassette: SunRace CSMS8, 11-Spd, 11-46T

Chainset: RaceFace Aeffect 170mm, 32T

Rims: WTB ST i29

Tires: Front: 27.5 x 2.6 Magic Mary
    Rear: 27.5 x 2.4 Maxxis Minion DHR2

Saddle: Ergon SMC4

Seatpost: PNW Rainier 150mm dropper IR

Stem: Vitus 50mm

Bars: Nukeproof Neutron 31.8mm, 25mm rise

Grips: Ergon GA2

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJayL View Post
    Iíve got a 2018 Big Honzo DL. Bashed my rear wheel last year, so I replaced it this year with a WTB KOM Tough. Never liked the stock rear hub so I put a Hope Pro 4 on. First ride out the chain was jumping in the lowest 3 or 4 gears. Measured the chain and it was well beyond the point for replacement so I bought a new chain and cassette. Still skipping and jumping after I set it up. When I put the new cassette on I noticed there was no spacer. The SRAM manual for the cassette says it needs one. So has anyone replaced the cassette and noticed if there is a spacer?
    Assuming we're talking about a Shimano HG freehub? Yes, there should be a spacer behind the cassette. It should come with your hub, not the cassette. If you don't have one you can pick one up at your LBS for $1.

Is the cassette loose even though the lockring is tight? Without the spacer it would be rattling around a lot.

It almost sounds like you may have some other shifting issues going on like a bent hanger or bent derailleur cage. I'd bring the bike with you if you stop by the LBS and have the hanger alignment checked while you're there.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleeC View Post

back in black! Sweet...

mtbr member
    Yeah Connor, well done!

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/connor-f...-hardtail.html

"" So fun at the first SA enduro. Thought I would spice things up and race the Honzo... didnít know it would be so fast but there was a lot of sprinting and it came out on top.óConnor Fearon ""

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi,

Just wondering if anybody could suggest where to buy frame decals for my Honzo CR...

mtbr member

fraid of heights
    Great thing about working on steel frame in the garage, just mag your light wherever you need!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190508_171659.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlobNZ View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering if anybody could suggest where to buy frame decals for my Honzo CR...

I have the same question. Iím trying to blackout my (AL) Honzo 2019 so Iíd like to find gloss black decals to put on top of the existing red decals. I have emailed Slik Graphics and asked them, Iíll get back to you if they respond. I have a Renthal 30mm rise Carbon lite Stealth incoming. Will hopefully mount it this weekend.

And I must say this thread is amazing! Iíve read through the whole thread and the amount of knowledge and the builds here are very cool! Really appreciate the time everyone puts in to post quality stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yonsson View Post

I have the same question. Iím trying to blackout my (AL) Honzo 2019 so Iíd like to find gloss black decals to put on top of the existing red decals. I have emailed Slik Graphics and asked them, Iíll get back to you if they respond. I have a Renthal 30mm rise Carbon lite Stealth incoming. Will hopefully mount it this weekend.

And I must say this thread is amazing! Iíve read through the whole thread and the amount of knowledge and the builds here are very cool! Really appreciate the time everyone puts in to post quality stuff.
    I'm hoping someone has an idea on how to get the top tube decals. I have the generic Kona decals on order, but I'd like black and red decals to compliment the new color I have coming.

Stripped it and sent it to powder coating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drpheta View Post
    I'm hoping someone has an idea on how to get the top tube decals. I have the generic Kona decals on order, but I'd like black and red decals to compliment the new color I have coming. Stripped it and sent it to powder coating.
    And the generic ones are not exactly like the original ones? Difference in size/form and/or colors?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    They have the same font and design, just not the right size to cover the original logo exactly.

mtbr member

I just swapped handlebars. Grips are Chromag Palmskin.
    Kona standard Handlebar 780mm: 339g.
    Renthal Carbon Stealth LE, 800mm (30mm rise): 217g.
    I havenít tested the difference in the forests yet, canít feel a big difference in stance or even looks. A tiny difference in rise is apparent. Iím guessing the original handlebars has 20mm rise. I thought the difference would be more noticeable to be honest. But overall I think it looks cool and I look forward to seeing the difference on the trials.
    Last edited by yonsson; 05-18-2019 at 02:07 PM.

mtbr member
    @Yonsson, is that your dropper lever sticking up above your bars? Is is comfortable to operate? I wonder if it would be easier on your thumb if you flipped downward where your thumb normally rests while holding your grips.

mtbr member
    @Yonsson, is that your dropper lever sticking up above your bars? Is is comfortable to operate? I wonder if it would be easier on your thumb if you flipped downward where your thumb normally rest while holding your grips.

You are correct! This is how it looked originally when it was mounted the other way, but the wire is insanely long and I donít want/dare to shorten it so I turned the lever upside down to get the wire in order.
    Iím used to it now, no issue at all. Once Iím sure I donít want to raise the seat post, I might shorten the wire and turn the lever correctly.

mtbr member
    Enjoy those bars! I have the same ones on my FS. Every time I come here and read about Honzos, it makes me miss mine. Yours looks great! One of these days I'll have enough spare parts to rebuild it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

I just swapped handlebar. Grips are Chromag Palmskin.
    Kona standard Handlebar 780mm: 339g.
    Renthal Rarbon Lite Stealth LE, 800mm (30mm rise): 217g.
    I havenít tested the difference in the Forrest yet, canít feel a big difference in stance or even looks. A tiny difference in rise is apparent. Iím guessing the original handlebar is 20mm rise. I thought the difference would be more noticeable to be honest. But overall I think it looks cool and I look forward to seeing the difference on the trials.
    Bike looks great!

Paul

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

This is my first year riding, but I like to reward myself, so I think I deserve a new fork when Iíve ridded for three years, or maybe two,
    Or one year . I know most here build on the ST-frames, and a lot of you guys seem to use the Fox 34 140mm while the stock versions all come with 120mm forks. My ďbike mentorĒ says ďyou will mess up the geometry if you swap to 140mmĒ, so I did some reading on offset measurements and itís ďimpactĒ. The ST (factory build) has 120mm x 46mm offset while my AL (L) has 120mm and 51mm offset.

What will happen if I upgrade my fork to a Fox 24 140mm 44mm offset?
    Is it a stupid and pointless upgrade? Would I mess up the proportions?
    Im guessing the RockShox RL Recon 120mm Iíve got now is pretty low end?

mtbr member
    2018 Honzo Al DL stock + Race Face Atlas 35mm Rise x 820mm Kash Money Bars

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!

This is my first year riding, but I like to reward myself, so I think I deserve a new fork when Iíve ridded for three years, or maybe two,
    Or one year . I know most here build on the ST-frames, and a lot of you guys seem to use the Fox 34 140mm while the stock versions all come with 120mm forks. My ďbike mentorĒ says ďyou will mess up the geometry if you swap to 140mmĒ, so I did some reading on offset measurements and itís ďimpactĒ. The ST (factory build) has 120mm x 46mm offset while my AL (L) has 120mm and 51mm offset.

I only ever rode both of my Honzos with a 140mm 46mm offset fork. I really enjoyed them set up that way. I think the geo got better with the longer fork.

mtbr member
    Changed out the grips and pedals. Southpaw lever on the way.

Rode Ridgeline in Pisgah. So much fun:

With the van:

fraid of heights
    Been on the new frame a few weeks now, LOVE IT!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190519_172320%5B1%5D.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190519_173135%5B1%5D.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190519_171132.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190519_172955%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stiingya View Post
    Damn, these beautiful Honzos are really making me what tear down my FS and rebuild mine! It sucks now having enough spare parts to run two bikes.

It just have to become my weekend project...

mtbr member
    Damn, these beautiful Honzos are really making me what tear down my FS and rebuild mine! It sucks now having enough spare parts to run two bikes.

It just have to become my weekend project...
    it's never too late to re-join the club - you're always welcome here

mtbr member

Name:	20190519_172320[1].jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	591.8 KB 
ID:	1252117

Name:	20190519_173135[1].jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	526.1 KB 
ID:	1252120

Name:	20190519_171132.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	555.3 KB 
ID:	1252121

Name:	20190519_172955[1].jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	549.3 KB 
ID:	1252122
    Looks good man!!
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks guys!

THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS RUN A 140MM FORK.

Absolute game changer, I did it pretty much straight away and ran it that way for a couple years, only just now gone up slightly more to 150mm to try it out. I also run a -2 degreee headset so 64.5-65 degree headtube. absolutely loving it on the steep stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzSolo View Post
    THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS RUN A 140MM FORK.

Absolute game changer, I did it pretty much straight away and ran it that way for a couple years, only just now gone up slightly more to 150mm to try it out. I also run a -2 degreee headset so 64.5-65 degree headtube. absolutely loving it on the steep stuff
    Thanks! Any thoughts about offset choices?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    As the Honzo is recommended for a 120-140mm fork, I started with a 140. Yes it changes the geo a bit, HA to about 67', STA a degree slacker as well, but it makes it a great all rounder HT instead of more trail / XC. I'm leaving it in this set-up for my XC race series this summer as well. I raced it at Mesa Verde's 12 hour (Phil's World Trail System in Cortez, CO) a few weekends ago and it was great for a course like that with a good bit of rocky tech features to skip over and some fast flowy trails as well.

As far as offset goes, I got a 51mm offset pike when I built it due to a significant sale I found. I've flipped my stem over to a 6' drop instead of a rise to increase weight over the front wheel for the racing this year, and I lengthened the chainstay to about 427mm from where I had it last year - dropouts slammed to 415mm. Both changes along with lighter tires make this bike super fast and evenly weighted for me on hills and in corners. If the price is the same however, I likely would have gone with the 46mm offset.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Ral 4003

Look what came back from the shop!

I spray canned my Honzo black back in 2017, but I wanted to get away from the stealth look and stripped her down. Sent my 2016 Honzo AL to the shop to powder coat RAL 4003 pink.

I FREAKING CAN'T WAIT TO BUILD HER BACK UP.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190523_072812-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Look what came back from the shop!

I spray canned my Honzo black back in 2017, but I wanted to get away from the stealth look and stripped her down. Sent my 2016 Honzo AL to the shop to powder coat RAL 4003 pink.

I FREAKING CAN'T WAIT TO BUILD HER BACK UP.

Name:	IMG_20190523_072812 (1).jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	1252592
    No more stealth factor that's for sure!

Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Decals on

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190523_170354.jpg

mtbr member
    If the price is the same however, I likely would have gone with the 46mm offset.
    IMHO, 42mm is the only one worth the time/money. You wont notice much from a 46mm

My best results were from a 130mm travel fork with a 40mm offset CSU and a 2* headset.

Currently running this same setup on my hei hei but at 120mm
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Thanks! Any thoughts about offset choices?

Nope, no idea what mine is, unsure if I care, I imagine its 51mm and that a shorter offset might benefit a longer travel fork? makes sense I guess but hey, Bike still works amazingly

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Decals on

Name:	IMG_20190523_170354.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	1252646
    What a hottie. Keep the pictures coming!
    I think I'll do the same to my 2018 ST.

fraid of heights
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Looks good man!!
    Thanks!! Rides great too! :0

fraid of heights
    Decals on

Name:	IMG_20190523_170354.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	1252646
    Can't wait to see that built up!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Can't wait to see that built up!
    She's all built up!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20190524_220445.jpg

mtbr member
    She's all built up!

Name:	IMG_20190524_220445.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	1252862
    Wow that looks like a showroom bike! Really nice!!

mtbr member
    She's all built up!

Nicely done!
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    She's all built up!

That is hawt!

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-db26cd12-97d3-4afd-ab70-f4b2290279de.jpg
    Honzo riding, Gooseberry Mesa.

fraid of heights
    That Pink Honzo is awesome!! Ditto for the double Gooseberry ST Honzo's!

Had a great couple of rides this weekend myself!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20190527_120331.jpg

Almost met up with this guy on a road transfer...
    I thought, "that's why roadies always ride to the far left away from the dirt"...

Name:  20190527_121700.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  33.6 KB

mtbr member
    Whatís a good brake upgrade from the SRAM guide T brakes? Iíd like a little more stopping power.

mtbr member
    Whatís a good brake upgrade from the SRAM guide T brakes? Iíd like a little more stopping power.

Magura's MT Trail set is supposed to be very good - 4 pot front, 2 pot rear.

mtbr member
    Magura's MT Trail set is supposed to be very good - 4 pot front, 2 pot rear.
    Thanks. Iíll look into them. I just need a little bit more power. Pisgah trails are tough!

mtbr member
    Thanks. Iíll look into them. I just need a little bit more power. Pisgah trails are tough!
    Then they might be worth a try.
    Andrew major from nsmb wrote a piece on them: https://nsmb.com/articles/min-maxed-...-sport-brakes/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You can get Saint brakes for pretty cheap these days. If you're really on a budget the Deore 4 piston brakes are fantastic value.