Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here - Page 27- Mtbr.com
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,400 of 5985
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    I am suggesting a 2.6 DHF for the front with a 2.6 Rekon in the back if you are sticking with Maxxis.
    Hi beer_coffee_water, thanks for the tip. That exact combo is on the way to my bike shed

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Hi beer_coffee_water, thanks for the tip. That exact combo is on the way to my bike shed
    Me too.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That's odd, the 2015 came stock as 142x12.maybe the previous owner changed the dropouts to 135?
    Anyway, the frame does accept 142x12, your mate just needs to swap the dropouts
    He found the 12x142 dropouts in the box it came in! hahahahahah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HonzSolo View Post
    He found the 12x142 dropouts in the box it came in! hahahahahah
    Excellent!

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by RideEverything View Post
    Kona is selling the 30yr headtube badge if anyone is interested.
    They're currently pre-order and $20CAD.
    I've ordered one as I'm jealous of not being able to afford the limited edition 30yr frame!
    I have something in the works that I'll be putting the headtube badge on. I can't say what it is at the moment as I don't want to jinx anything.

Link - Kona 30th Birthday Anniversary Headtube Badge|KONA

Attachment 1224198
    I just threw down on a We Are One Agent wheelset for my Honzo build. 20% off at the moment. I am getting custom decals made using that head tube badge for the logo. Not sure how they will turn out but it could end up being pretty sweet.

Jeezus. My working man's, utilitarian, no nonsense build is starting to crumble.

I still have some stuff that I am going with though that fits that category -- XT/RaceFace drivetrain, stock stem, saddle and grips -- although I may replace the saddle and hang the Anniversary stock one on the wall or something, along with the Anniversary bar...maybe over the headboard of my bed just to see the reaction of my GF. Silly thing thinks I am way too into biking

high pivot witchcraft
    Where did you get the 2.6 DHF? My LBS says it's a no go in Canada. I can't find it in stock at any of the usual online places.

I could go 2.6 Rekons front and back but coming off of DHFs on every bike I have owned for the past 5+ years, the Rekon in the front may feel a little life threatening.

mtbr member
    Hey all, looking to jump from my med AL Big Honzo to a large ST. Gonna swap everything over that I can and run as 27.5+.

Question: thinking of going with a works angleset - what upper and lower cups would I need for a 2018 ST? I think itís the EC44-ZS56 - is that right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird View Post
    Hey all, looking to jump from my med AL Big Honzo to a large ST. Gonna swap everything over that I can and run as 27.5+.

Question: thinking of going with a works angleset - what upper and lower cups would I need for a 2018 ST? I think itís the EC44-ZS56 - is that right?
    Yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Where did you get the 2.6 DHF? My LBS says it's a no go in Canada. I can't find it in stock at any of the usual online places.

I could go 2.6 Rekons front and back but coming off of DHFs on every bike I have owned for the past 5+ years, the Rekon in the front may feel a little life threatening.
    the guy i bought it from got a pair from another guy's stock build. he mentioned that they are currently only available as oems. and sure enough, they are nowhere to be found in online shops in europe either. so i guess i was just lucky
    but i also think that they will be available sooner rather than later in the aftermarket.

Bnerd
    I've been updated!
    I just picked up my new 2019 Honzo ST frame! The wait was long but I'm stoked it's here!

Towards the end of August I managed to crack my 2012 OG Honzo frame! It happened on a rather innocuous section of trail and even though I stopped to check the frame when I heard the noise I couldn't locate it. So, I continued my ride and went home.

I was bombing down a wider section of gravel trail when a water bar (ditch) that was obscured by bushes around a slight bend appeared. Because I was moving so fast I had no time to stop or slow down. I managed to manual through the water bar/ditch and as the back wheel started to ride up the backside of the water bar I heard a loud "crack' sound. It sounded like it originated around the BB. The front wheel didn't slam down but it did definitely come down harder than I normally would have put it down if I was prepared to manual through a depression.
    I came to a stop and had look around the area I though the sound came from and couldn't see anything. I flexed the frame using my hands on the seatsatys and then the chainstays. I also flexed the frame by pushing my foot into the pedal and still nothing showed itself that was something was wrong. I shrugged my shoulders got back on my bike and continued my high speed ride home. Once on the paved road I managed to hit 72km/hr on a longer downhill section!
    Anyway, I get home and I'm doing the post-ride wipe down of the bike and I take a closer look at the BB area. Still nothing. I continue to do a more thorough inspection of the frame. As I'm lifting the bike up to turn it around I notice light coming through the frame where it shouldn't be!
    The frame is cracked just before the weld at the headtube on the top tube! The only part still connected is the very top of the tube. There is a crack that almost goes all the way around the tube!! Crazy!
    I've never cracked a frame before. I've cracked suspension rockers; I've broken components in half but never a frame!

I definitely was sad. I really enjoyed this bike. But I have ridden it hard through the years and it absolutely didn't owe me anything.

I reached out to Kona to see if there was any solutions to my situation.
    My email was answered promptly.
    Originally they wanted me to send in my complete bike because that's what I had purchased from them. I explained that there wasn't any original parts on the bike and asked if it was okay to send in just the frame for them to have a look at it. I was asked for some photos of the bike and the area with the crack. Once that was done I was given the okay to send in just the frame.
    Unfortunately, there wasn't any Honzo ST frames in stock at that time. I was given the option of putting the cost of my frame towards either a alu Honzo DL full build or a Honzo CR full build. The other option was to wait for the next shipment of the ST frames to arrive. I was told that they might be in before the snow flies. I thought about it and realized if I was going to get a Honzo it HAD to be steel! I mean, really, if you're going to get a Honzo isn't the point of it to get a steel frame? ...like the OG Honzo?
    Either way it was a solid from Kona to give me the options to get me back on a bike quickly!

The guy I dealt with at Kona in the warranty department was up front about everything I asked and responded quickly to every email. I hope he didn't get too annoyed with my emails every two weeks asking if the frames had arrived!

Here's the crack.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180807_112131.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180807_112237.jpg

Here's the new frame!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181121_151107.jpg

I'm a little torn about what to do about the frame colour. I'm not really taken with it. Yes, it does have a really nice metallic flake sparkle throughout. But green doesn't do it for me. I've been researching stripping the paint and leaving it raw. The problem is the amount of effort that may be required to make that happen. I'm not sure if I have the attention span to stick with that project.

As for the build-side of things it's going to be slightly challenging/frustrating. Because this frame has a boost rear end I can't swap everything that was on my 2012 OG Honzo over to it. The main things are a new rear wheel with the appropriate sized hub and chainring with the right offset. I just bought a steel chainring in the middle of the summer that is a 6mm offset and Boost is a 3mm. I might run it and see if it clears the frame and the drivetrain can deal with the chain line.

I am going to change the geo with a Works Components -2 angleset and overfork it. I'm not sure if I'll run my Fox 36 RC2 at 160mm or 150mm.
    I plan on running the dropouts at their longest because the sooner the mtb industry gets over this short back end thing the happier I'll be. I'm looking into finding out if a company that does custom work on CNC machines can fab me some longer dropouts. As a tall dude the short chainstays are only good for short snappy corners after that they make the bike too tippy off the back. That being said my experience is only on the OG Honzo so things may be very different on this longer frame.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180807_152541.jpg
    I really should have taken the head badge off of the frame before I sent it in. To me this is the best head badge Kona has had. I'll just have to console myself with the 30yr head badge that I've ordered. Although, if I don't strip the paint off the frame I don't think the badge will look that good on the bike. The dilemmas!
    Last edited by RideEverything; 12-14-2018 at 08:16 PM.

high pivot witchcraft
    I've been updated!
    I just picked up my new 2018 Honzo ST frame! The wait was long but I'm stoked it's here!

Towards the end of August I managed to crack my 2012 OG Honzo frame! It happened on a rather innocuous section of trail and even though I stopped to check the frame when I heard the noise I couldn't locate it. So, I continued my ride and went home.

I was bombing down a wider section of gravel trail when a water bar (ditch) that was obscured by bushes around a slight bend appeared. Because I was moving so fast I had no time to stop or slow down. I managed to manual through the water bar/ditch and as the back wheel started to ride up the backside of the water bar I heard a loud "crack' sound. It sounded like it originated around the BB. The front wheel didn't slam down but it did definitely come down harder than I normally would have put it down if I was prepared to manual through a depression.
    I came to a stop and had look around the area I though the sound came from and couldn't see anything. I flexed the frame using my hands on the seatsatys and then the chainstays. I also flexed the frame by pushing my foot into the pedal and still nothing showed itself that was something was wrong. I shrugged my shoulders got back on my bike and continued my high speed ride home. Once on the paved road I managed to hit 72km/hr on a longer downhill section!
    Anyway, I get home and I'm doing the post-ride wipe down of the bike and I take a closer look at the BB area. Still nothing. I continue to do a more thorough inspection of the frame. As I'm lifting the bike up to turn it around I notice light coming through the frame where it shouldn't be!
    The frame is cracked just before the weld at the headtube on the top tube! The only part still connected is the very top of the tube. There is a crack that almost goes all the way around the tube!! Crazy!
    I've never cracked a frame before. I've cracked suspension rockers; I've broken components in half but never a frame!

I definitely was sad. I really enjoyed this bike. But I have ridden it hard through the years and it absolutely didn't owe me anything.

I reached out to Kona to see if there was any solutions to my situation.
    My email was answered promptly.
    Originally they wanted me to send in my complete bike because that's what I had purchased from them. I explained that there wasn't any original parts on the bike and asked if it was okay to send in just the frame for them to have a look at it. I was asked for some photos of the bike and the area with the crack. Once that was done I was given the okay to send in just the frame.
    Unfortunately, there wasn't any Honzo ST frames in stock at that time. I was given the option of putting the cost of my frame towards either a alu Honzo DL full build or a Honzo CR full build. The other option was to wait for the next shipment of the ST frames to arrive. I was told that they might be in before the snow flies. I thought about it and realized if I was going to get a Honzo it HAD to be steel! I mean, really, if you're going to get a Honzo isn't the point of it to get a steel frame? ...like the OG Honzo?
    Either way it was a solid from Kona to give me the options to get me back on a bike quickly!

The guy I dealt with at Kona in the warranty department was up front about everything I asked and responded quickly to every email. I hope he didn't get too annoyed with my emails every two weeks asking if the frames had arrived!

Here's the crack.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180807_112131.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	1225802

Name:	IMG_20180807_112237.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	1225803

Here's the new frame!

Name:	IMG_20181121_151107.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	1225804

I'm a little torn about what to do about the frame colour. I'm not really taken with it. Yes, it does have a really nice metallic flake sparkle throughout. But green doesn't do it for me. I've been researching stripping the paint and leaving it raw. The problem is the amount of effort that may be required to make that happen. I'm not sure if I have the attention span to stick with that project.

As for the build-side of things it's going to be slightly challenging/frustrating. Because this frame has a boost rear end I can't swap everything that was on my 2012 OG Honzo over to it. The main things are a new rear wheel with the appropriate sized hub and chainring with the right offset. I just bought a steel chainring in the middle of the summer that is a 6mm offset and Boost is a 3mm. I might run it and see if it clears the frame and the drivetrain can deal with the chain line.

I am going to change the geo with a Works Components -2 angleset and overfork it. I'm not sure if I'll run my Fox 36 RC2 at 160mm or 150mm.
    I plan on running the dropouts at their longest because the sooner the mtb industry gets over this short back end thing the happier I'll be. I'm looking into finding out if a company that does custom work on CNC machines can fab me some longer dropouts. As a tall dude the short chainstays are only good for short snappy corners after that they make the bike too tippy off the back. That being said my experience is only on the OG Honzo so things may be very different on this longer frame.

Name:	IMG_20180807_152541.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	1225805
    I really should have taken the head badge off of the frame before I sent it in. To me this is the best head badge Kona has had. I'll just have to console myself with the 30yr head badge that I've ordered. Although, if I don't strip the paint off the frame I don't think the badge will look that good on the bike. The dilemmas!
    Wow. Awesome story. Congrats man. It's great to hear how well Kona treated you.

That new frame is killer. Leave it as is. Don't eff with the paint. Not yet at least. My bet is that it will grow on you. Personally I think it's dope AF as is. I would be absolutely stoked, not just with the outcome but with that frame colour as well.

Super happy for you.

PS - I bought a green CX bike much like yours in 2005. I still own it and have used it for 3 season commuting every single year since purchasing it. I was not thrilled with the colour when I bought it. Now, I love it. That bike has aged so gracefully, and the paint has a lot to do with it. Seriously - your new frame is killer. Amp it up on the stoke meter.

PPS - now we know what project you were alluding to in your post about the new head tube badge...

mtbr member
    @rideeverything that's really an amazing story. good to hear that you rode home well and in one piece with such a cracked headtube. frightening stuff. at which length did you have the fork at that time?
    and regarding the new frame: i agree with mike, give it a try, once it's all built up it might be more to your liking.

Bnerd
    @rideeverything that's really an amazing story. good to hear that you rode home well and in one piece with such a cracked headtube. frightening stuff. at which length did you have the fork at that time?
    and regarding the new frame: i agree with mike, give it a try, once it's all built up it might be more to your liking.
    I had the fork at 150mm.

I think I may have sped up the process of aging the frame as this season the Honzo was my only pedal bike. I had sold my full susser in the Spring with the intention of buying another one shortly. But life and finances didn't line up.

I definitely rode the Honzo harder than it had been ridden in the last few seasons. And full time through the season rather than once in a while.

As I said it didn't owe me anything. Sure I was disappointed but it gave me a great reason to get an updated frame. I definitely feel lucky that Kona helped me out.

The bad luck didn't end with a cracked frame. A few days later I was coaching in the bike park on my DH bike and noticed there was oil all over the lower part of my frame. It turns out my shock blew up and spewed all its oil out.
    I was a bike coach with no bikes at that point!
    I scoured the buy and sells on every site for a week straight and lucked out and found a custom built Transition Sentinel for a decent price. It also hadn't been ridden that much as the guy had injured himself and couldn't ride for a long while.

I'm moving most of the components from the Sentinel to build up the Honzo. I just started the build this afternoon. I should have it finished by tomorrow. I'll post up pics when I'm finished.

I decided to stay with the paint. I'll put the stripping project on the backburner for now. Really, my main reason is I just wanted to build it up and ride it rather than taking the time to strip the paint. LoL!

The snow season has started out totally shit so I'll still be riding my bike rather than my board for the next while. In fact it was opening day today at WhistlerBlackcomb.
    But if you're an employee of the mountain (WB) you were only allowed up if you were working today. You're actually not allowed up this entire weekend unless you're working! It's the first opening day I've missed in the 20 years I've been in Whistler! It sucks!
    I know it was shit conditions but I still need to do my opening day lap.

I guess getting the frame now is a blessing in disguise. I can actually go ride it rather than just looking at it because there's a meter of snow in the valley!
    It's still cold and icy currently but the trails are still running pretty good.

mtbr member
    I had the fork at 150mm.
    OH, my fox36 is also at 150. I think I should lower it to 130. Seems like the increased leverage effect might just create too much stress for the material.

You've gone thru a rough patch there, but seems like you got well over it. How do you like the sentinel? Or did you not ride it yet? Do you plan to swap the real wheel between the Honzo and the sentinel?

Good luck with the new bikes!

high pivot witchcraft
    OH, my fox36 is also at 150. I think I should lower it to 130. Seems like the increased leverage effect might just create too much stress for the material.

You've gone thru a rough patch there, but seems like you got well over it. How do you like the sentinel? Or did you not ride it yet? Do you plan to swap the real wheel between the Honzo and the sentinel?

You raise a very good point.

I am STILL waiting for my 140 34. Maybe I should just stay at 120.

I have a buddy who, 15 or so years ago, snapped a Foes frame at the downtube/headtube and toptube/headtube junctions. He had modded that bike heavily with a Monster T and a 24 inch wheel on the rear. He snapped it when he landed an 8 foot drop at the bike park (Canada Olympic Park). Those were the days before flowy berms, when it was all about sending it. He is very lucky he did not seriously hurt himself.

Obviously oneís safety is the primary concern, and I donít mean to come across as trivializing this. But I wonder if Kona was aware from the photos it received of the complete build, that a 150 was on it...Foes responded quickly and emphatically in the negative when the LBS asked them whether they would warranty my buddyís frame.

Maybe Foxís delay is a message from the biking gods. A last opportunity given to me to rethink this. I think maybe I need to pause and reassess this. I appreciate many here are running a 140, and some a 150 or even 160, but still.

Anyway, the important thing is that neither my buddy nor RideEverything was injured.

mtbr member

I am STILL waiting for my 140 34. Maybe I should just stay at 120.

I have a buddy who, 15 or so years ago, snapped a Foes frame at the downtube/headtube and toptube/headtube junctions. He had modded that bike heavily with a Monster T and a 24 inch wheel on the rear. He snapped it when he landed an 8 foot drop at the bike park (Canada Olympic Park). Those were the days before flowy berms, when it was all about sending it. He is very lucky he did not seriously hurt himself.

Obviously oneís safety is the primary concern, and I donít mean to come across as trivializing this. But I wonder if Kona was aware from the photos it received of the complete build, that a 150 was on it...Foes responded quickly and emphatically in the negative when the LBS asked them whether they would warranty my buddyís frame.

Maybe Foxís delay is a blessing in disguise. I need to pause and think here about this.

Anyway, the important thing is that neither my buddy nor RideEverything was injured.
    Hi,
    I bought the full build honzo AL 2016 two years back, and swapped the fork for another one which could only be lowered to 130, but not less. I discussed this with kona tech and they warned me that the frame was designed and cleared only for 120 and not more.
    Maybe their view is different with regards to the steel frame, but I would not bet on it.

high pivot witchcraft
    Hi,
    I bought the full build honzo AL 2016 two years back, and swapped the fork for another one which could only be lowered to 130, but not less. I discussed this with kona tech and they warned me that the frame was designed and cleared only for 120 and not more.
    Maybe their view is different with regards to the steel frame, but I would not bet on it.
    Iím calling Kona today and running this past them. I may end up staying at 120. I think I will stick with the 34 vs the stock fork, but at 120 and not 140. This has me spooked big time. My intention is to ride this bike in all my usual local terrain, which can be very rocky, and very steep. This is not going to be a flow trail only bike. Thatís why I went with the 140 in the first place. Not to say that RideEverythingís terrain is not more extreme, because it is. But mine can hit legit double black as well.

Does anyone know whether the geo will materially change from what it is with the stock fork, to going with a 34 at 120? I suspect not, but will run that past Kona as well

high pivot witchcraft
    ***deleted***

Bnerd

I had been running my OG Honzo overforked from the get go. I spent about two weeks riding the 32mm Rev Dual Air at 120mm smashing my pedals and bottoming the fork on everything. I bumped it to 140mm and it was a world of difference! I am continually shocked looking back on my time of riding the Rev that I didn't somehow manage to break that fork! I'm big height and weight-wise and ride quite aggressively. The Rev managed it all... not well but it still managed it!

Fast forward a few years and I moved to a F34 CTD 150mm on the OG Honzo. A world of difference! Now I could ride the bike even harder. Most recently in the past couple of seasons I would swap the F34 for the F36 RC2 that I was running on my full susser for the start and end of the season. Again, this was another step up in performance from a stiffness and damper stand point.

I started this season with the F36 at 160mm on the Honzo. I sold my Banshee with the F34. Descending the fork at 160mm was very good but as soon as I was on mellower and flatter terrain it was too much fork. Climbing was also a chore with it at 160mm. I had to put too much body English into climbing anything tech and anything quite steep. It's funny what 10mm of travel can do to the feel of a bike.

I bumped the travel back down to 150mm and rode it on the Honzo like that until the point that the frame cracked.

When I picked up the Sentinel the fork that came with it had the steerer cut way too short. I couldn't get the bars to the height I wanted. Since I wasn't using the F36 at that moment I bumped the travel back to 160mm and put it on the Sentinel. Now that I have the new 2019 Honzo frame I'm moving the F36 back to it. I'll try it out at 160mm with the Works Components -2 angleset and see how it feels. Again, I'm not super concerned about overforking it.
    It'll be interesting to see how it rides compared to my OG Honzo. There's a lot of changes for me going to the new Honzo. A longer overall bike, a change in the design of the seatstays and chainstays (along with the seatstay yoke) and an angleset. I think all of this will have an affect on how I feel the bike will ride.

As to leverage on the frame I was aware I was running the OG Honzo beyond what it was specced for. But, from my perspective, it was working out and I liked having more travel for what and how I ride.

I'm really enjoying the Sentinel! I picked it up a little over a week after I cracked the Honzo so I've had almost 3 months of riding on it. I'm stoked about how the bike industry is going longer and longer with Reach. Every bike I've bought over the last few years I've made sure they're as long as I can get. The Sentinel is no exception. It fits well but I still think I can go longer! It's an XL Sentinel. Transition did just come out with a XXL frame. And, in red! So many things, so little money! lol!

Yes, I'm using the wheels from the Sentinel on the new Honzo. I'm also using the brakes, Saints, because my previous brakes from my OG Honzo require a new hose to make the new longer length needed. The cheapest solution right now is to swap everything I need and sort out getting more parts in the Spring/Summer so I can have both bikes running.

For the last few years I've been exclusively riding a hardtail (Honzo) for about a month and a half at the start and finish of the seasons. Then, throughout the middle I would ride the Honzo when the mood struck me. What I like about starting my season on a hardtail is it sharpens and gets my riding skills up to speed. At end of the season I see what silly lines that I would normally ride on a full susser I can still do on a hardtail. Sometimes doing that gets me spanked!

...theorizing and waffling...

To be clear I don't intend to be mean with my edit of your quote. Just trying to poke some fun at you!

I totally get where you're coming from and have been there myself. I find myself having the same circular arguments and worries theorizing about what to do with my builds when I'm waiting on things to come together. In fact I've been agonizing over how much of a change there's going to be using this angleset! I'm also speculating wildly on how I'm going to finance a new rear wheel (and a front Boost wheel) and a Boost fork to get both the Sentinel and Honzo running at the same time!

All I have to say is 'you do you and do what you feel comfortable with' in relation to your worries about the travel of the fork on your Honzo build.
    I've had experience with the stock travel, 120mm, and a couple of other travel settings. From this I have figured out what I like and how expect and want the bike to ride.

As for reaching out to manufacturers to help you with that decision, you already know what the answer is going to be. Liability-wise they probably can't recommend anything longer than what comes stock on the bike.

I have a story that fits with that in relation to asking a manufacturer what to spec a bike with. When I was looking into and then ordered the Works Components angleset I read everything on this thread related to it. I checked and double checked on the WC site which angleset I should get then ordered. As I waited to find out about whether I was getting a frame from Kona while the angleset was being shipped I had a sudden attack of doubt about the fit. I'm not sure where it came from but I think I read some passing comment on a fitment issue. So, I emailed Kona to ask if the cups of the angleset would fit. I left out that it was an angleset. The response from Kona was No, it won't work. It needs to be ZS top and bottom cups. The angleset is an EC top and a ZS bottom.
    I panicked and quickly emailed WC to confirm if the angleset I ordered was the right one. Part of the reason I was concerned was that the angleset had gotten lost for a couple of weeks in Customs on the Canadian side. And, I really didn't want to go through a hassle like that again if I had to send it back and wait on another one. Anyway, WC confirmed that the angleset I had ordered was the correct one. Whew! They said that most headtubes/headsets are universal and as long as you have the right size they should fit.

Another thing that I just read recently just before my frame arrived that put me very much at ease is an article on NSMB.com. It's a quick look at some new products starting to be tested. It turns out the reviewer is testing a -2 WC angleset in a 2018 Honzo! And, he's running the Honzo more overforked than I am! I very much trust in this reviewer because he rides a lot of the same terrain that I do and he is very good at writing analysis of everything he tests. I recommend having read and then reading the comments because there's an interesting discussion related to geometry there.
    Here's the link - https://nsmb.com/articles/3-fresh-products-fall/

Not to say that my experience of cracking my frame and your friend's experience is nothing to worry about. It's that when you have a lot of time to think about possible outcomes, especially bad ones, they can sometimes seem overwhelming. Realistically you won't know until you try it.
    For me the steel frame gives me enough confidence to run with a longer fork. Could it go catastrophically wrong? Sure it can! But for me I don't really think that way. My theory is you can die sitting on the shitter. So, why not live more adventurous! I'm not a stupid risk taker. But this overforking falls well within my comfort zone.

As to how Kona accepted my warranty... I never hid that I was running the bike overforked. But, I never offered the info. If I was asked I would have told them exactly how I had it set up. I sent full pictures of my bike in and you could see that more stanchion was showing than what comes stock on the bike. I've also posted all over this thread about how I'm running the forks on the Honzo. Kona did me a solid and I'm stoked to ride a bike from them. I'll happily pay for another if and when I need to.

Now to go full nerd! Here's a geo calculator that someone on this thread linked to quite some time ago. I've been going to town with it inputting a ton of different numbers looking to see what it spits out. What I've posted here is everything related to my OG Honzo and my new 2019 Honzo.

The only number that isn't stock on both the charts is the Chainstay measurement. I run the dropouts in their longest setting. I believe that's an extra inch or 25.4mm.

This is the 2012 Honzo with the 150mm change on the left and the 160mm on the right.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2012-honzo-geo-change.jpg
    The the 3 biggest changes are Reach, Head Angle and BB height.
    The 160mm fork had the biggest difference in ride quality. It made it not feel as good to corner. Most likely because the BB was much higher than intended. Although, it had the best pedal clearance! I never once smashed my pedals when riding with the fork at this height! That's currently my only complaint about the Sentinel. The BB is so low I smash my pedals all over the place. It's especially frustrating when I'm having an off day while riding. At those times it seems like I'm hitting my pedals on every stroke!

This is the 2019 Honzo with the -2 angleset, 150mm left and 160mm right.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-2018-honzo-geo-change.jpg
    Hopefully I'll get at least one ride before it's too cold and snowy so I can see how the new Honzo rides and feels.
    Numbers and charts are great and all but you don't know how the numbers will pan out until you get on the bike.

Here's the link to the geo calc. I know it's in this thread somewhere but it's probably so far back it'll be hard to find.
    Link - https://bikegeo.muha.cc/
    Last edited by RideEverything; 12-14-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: grammar, spelling

mtbr member
    @RideEverything thanks for that elaborate post, that really puts everything in an interesting perspective. interesting job with the geo calculator as well - the new bike really gets a completely different character with your changes. I guess we're all very much looking forward to your ride reports and pics. lots and lots of pics!

high pivot witchcraft
    ...To be clear I don't intend to be mean with my edit of your quote. Just trying to poke some fun at you!

I totally get where you're coming from and have been there myself. I find myself having the same circular arguments and worries theorizing about what to do with my builds when I'm waiting on things to come together. In fact I've been agonizing over how much of a change there's going to be using this angleset! I'm also speculating wildly on how I'm going to finance a new rear wheel (and a front Boost wheel) and a Boost fork to get both the Sentinel and Honzo running at the same time!

All I have to say is 'you do you and do what you feel comfortable with' in relation to your worries about the travel of the fork on your Honzo build.
    I've had experience with the stock travel, 120mm, and a couple of other travel settings. From this I have figured out what I like and how expect and want the bike to ride.

As for reaching out to manufacturers to help you with that decision, you already know what the answer is going to be. Liability-wise they probably can't recommend anything longer than what comes stock on the bike...
    LMAO! Guilty as charged!

I admit that my biking passion can suck the life out of those around me (I like to call it "passion", as opposed to madness, obsession, needless vacillation, neuroses, character disorder, or anything similar). Truth is that it's fun for me to analyze options and solicit opinions form others. I love the journey as much as the destination. Unfortunately, I end up inadvertently pulling others into my madness. Thank Christ for this site. And even then, I am sure there are a fair number here who would like to lay the boots to me from time to time.

I am keeping the original plans intact. 140 mm fork.

I hope to post a markup of some custom rim decals Dustin at We Are One is making for my new Honzo wheel set. The home run ball is for them to match the 30th B-day Anniversary head tube badge, but we shall see. This may be a tall order. I will post it when I get it.

mtbr member
    RE, that bike looks good on paper. I am having the same conundrum. I am trying to fit a fork and wheelset between my Honzo (29) and my Balance (27.5). I have decided to go with the Honzo as a 27.5 using my Balance fork at 160 and a -į2 Works. It's the same A2C as a 140 29er. I am going to use 2.6 tires and 165mm cranks to help manage the low bb height.

And fyi, the Honzo is 427mm with the dropouts pushed all the way out.

Bnerd
    I finished the build of my new Honzo this afternoon.
    Pretty stoked at the moment!
    Although, it's quite ironic that I'm building a new bike on the opening weekend of snowboard season! Building the bike is the only thing that has kept me somewhat sane from not being allowed to go up the mountain and ride my snowboard.

I transfered most of what was on my Transition Sentinel over to the Honzo. Wheels, brakes, seatpost and fork.

The build:

Frame - 2019 Honzo ST XL
    Fork - 2016 non-Boost Fox 36 RC2 160mm 51mm offset
    Headset - Works Components Angleset -2*
    Handlebar - Chromag BZA carbon 800mm
    Grips - Chromag Squarewave XL
    Stem - Chromag BZA 60mm
    Brakes - Shimano Saint 200mm front / 180mm rear
    Seatpost - 9point8 FallLine 175mm
    Saddle - Chromag Trailmaster
    Cranks - Sram X0 175mm
    Chainring - Sram 28T DM Steel non-Boost (6mm offset)
    Cassette - SunRace 11-50T 11spd
    Shifter - Sram GX
    RD - Sram GX
    Pedals - Crank Bros Mallet DH
    Wheelset - RaceFace TurbineR with Vault Hubs, 28H
    Tires - Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 WT

Here's the geo with the WC angleset and the fork at 160mm:
    HA - 64.4
    STA - 73.3
    Wheelbase - 1268.2mm (49.9in - for some reason I can't understand mm for wheelbase)
    *edit* If what beer_coffee_water says is true that makes the wheelbase shorter - 1254.8mm / 49.4in
    Reach - 496mm
    Stack - 662mm

I'm planning to get out and ride tomorrow. Hopefully with the snow in the valley this afternoon and the near freezing temps it won'y be too icy out on the trails tomorrow. Rock faces and rock surfaces will be the things to watch out for as they ice up and stay icy this time of year!

I rode around the parking lot after I built it up. I like the fit. It definitely feels longer but I expected that. It doesn't seem too slack with the angleset. But having been on the Sentinel nothing seems too slack anymore!
    I have the saddle quite far forward on the rails. It feels comfortable. When I get out and ride the Honzo properly I'll find out if I need to adjust it. Sliding the seat forward also helps with slackening of the STA because of my saddle height.
    I may have to tweak the bars and my controls. Bar height seems good. I have 20mm of spacers under the stem.
    I have a 60mm stem because my OG Honzo was short and I needed some help trying to make it not feel that way. The 60mm stem on the new Honzo doesn't feel wrong. I don't feel like I'm too far forward because of the length. The length of the stem also helps with the shortening of the Reach because of the WC angleset. If I were to guess I would say that the Reach is close to the original with the stem.

I've been toying with the idea of going to Plus sized tires. I've read that some 2.6 will fit in the rear without too much trouble. But the big issue is the fork I'm running. I don't think I can fit anything much bigger than what I already have in the 2016 non-Boost F36.
    I personally think that Plus is a thing for hardtails. I don't get it for full suspension bikes. There's already a smoothing out from the suspension. Why make it vague with fatter tires?

On to the pictures!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181123_150500.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181123_150513.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181123_150535.jpg
    Last edited by RideEverything; 12-14-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Bnerd
    And fyi, the Honzo is 427mm with the dropouts pushed all the way out.
    Is it really only a 12mm difference from Short to Long on the dropout sliders! I find that surprising!
    I may have to take a ruler to it to really find out. lol!

mtbr member
    Is it really only a 12mm difference from Short to Long on the dropout sliders! I find that surprising!
    I may have to take a ruler to it to really find out. lol!
    Yeah, it is adjustable between 16.3" and 16.8" in south of the border measurements.

high pivot witchcraft
    RE - that turned out incredible. That frame looks totally killer. Seriously. Love the red accents.

I have always been a RaceFace guy. From waaaaaaaay back when. Kona and RaceFace both. I have been getting into Chromag in recent years. I am toying with the idea of going with a Chromag cockpit along the lines you did.

I probably misssed it but did you have the angleset on your old frame?

Anyway, awesome build. Super solid top to bottom.

Bnerd
    Thanks!
    I'm happy with the way it turned out.
    The colour is growing on me. I think I may eventually migrate to a Rasta colour theme as parts get replaced.

If you're a mountain biker that's been in Whistler for any length of time it's kinda like a rite of passage to have something from Chromag on your bike. I also get a great discount because I'm coach working for the WBP.

No, I didn't have an angleset on my OG Honzo. Changing the geo with aftermarket mods has been on my radar for the last few years but until this new Honzo build I haven't done anything with the idea. The only minor thing I've done was drill a hole in the frame of my OG Honzo at the start of the season to run a stealth dropper.

I did ask at the shop I frequent that has a CNC machine how much it would be to fab some new dropouts to lengthen the chainstays. He said because it would be a one off custom job it'd be approximately $700 - $800. The only way to lower the price would to have an order of over 100 units. And, even then, it wouldn't be that much cheaper.

high pivot witchcraft
    ...If you're a mountain biker that's been in Whistler for any length of time it's kinda like a rite of passage to have something from Chromag on your bike...
    Agreed. On my Norco Sight I am running Basis grips and a Chromag top cap. Just to get some of the Chromag magic on my side. LMAO!!!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7452.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7454.jpg

I was thinking about the BZA bar and stem for the Honzo build but I have a old SixC gathering dust at the moment.

As for Whistler, been there lots. Last time I was at there I didn't even ride the hill. We did the following (I think):

1. Blackcomb access road --> Microclimate (twice)
    2. Yummy Numby
    3. Comfortably Numb
    4. River Runs Through It
    5. A bunch of crazy shit including/involving/around the 3 Danimal sections, and then up to the Rainbow-Sproatt traverses (in there somewhere we did High Society, Three Birds, and AC/DC).

We also did the trail network in the Lost Lake area, which was a little on the tame side, but ok. Frank Zappa trails I think? Or something like that.

We ran into the mom of the Iles brothers when we were riding one day. She was good enough to act as our trail guide for some of the rides, including Yummy Numby (which was super cool).

Best place ever. Winter, summer and everything in between. I can't complain about where I am either though...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/east-o...mountains.html

Bnerd
    I got out this afternoon on the new Honzo for short ride.

The trails are in my neighbourhood and are a fun mix of everything leaning very much toward tech and awkward type moves. They're good for a shake down ride because the little network is compact and has everything from steep rock lines, tech up & down, sections where you can open it up a bit and some woodwork with some skinnies.

First off I'm liking the fit of this bike. It's crazy to think how short my OG Honzo was in comparison to the new Honzo. I have room to move over the bike without being worried of moving too much because it will unbalance me over the bike. On my OG Honzo I always had to be cognizant of how much I was shifting to not mess with my balance. There's a much bigger movement window on the new bike.
    The new Honzo also feel quite stable. I'm sure the longer wheelbase is helping that along with the slacker front end. I'd say that this new bike feels like it'll plough through stuff way better than my last one. My OG Honzo definitely felt skittish at higher speeds and riding fast through chunder/tech.

I forgot how much fun it is to ride a hardtail! Snappy and direct. Everything you put into the pedals is delivered right back to the wheel. It also has a much more direct feel to the trail. Although, I'm finding the overall ride feel of the new frame smoother compared to my last frame.
    I think I may keep the fork at 160mm. The front end didn't feel unwieldy nor too tall.
    There's only a small number of faster corners on the selection of trails I rode. But the bike felt comfortable through them. The BB is lower on this bike compared to my last one so it makes sense that it feels better to corner.

The bar height felt okay but it might be a little tall. I'll swap one of the 5mm spacers out from under the stem and see how that feels.

I have Minion DHF 2.5 WT front and back. This is the first time I've been able to run a bigger tire on the rear of my hardtail. There is a noticeable difference in how it smooths out the chatter and helps soak up a bit of the bigger stuff. As I said in my build post I'm interested to see how big of a tire I can run front and rear. My OCD won't allow me to run a fatter tire on the rear compared to the front. It'd be a mullet then and nobody needs that!

I managed to dump the bike and almost nearly ejected off of a ridge on the ride because it's been a while since I've been on clipless! About a week or so before I cracked my old frame I picked up the Crank Bros Mallet DH pedals and got new cleats. Needless to say with the new cleats I am much more attached to the bike. And, it's much harder to unclip because the cleats aren't worn yet. Thankfully I didn't scratch the frame. The first scratch is always the worst! Especially if it happens on the first ride!

On to the bike pr0n!

Mmmm, new bike!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-00100dportrait_00100_burst20181124124522495_cover%7E2.jpg

Striking a pose mid way through the ride.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181124_125351.jpg

And, a happy bike at the end of the ride!
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181124_140412.jpg

I'll post my riding pictures over on the Some Honzo Ridin' thread.

Wanna ride bikes?
    The build:

Frame - 2018 Honzo ST XL
    Fork - 2016 non-Boost Fox 36 RC2 160mm 51mm offset
    Headset - Works Components Angleset -2*

Tires - Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 WT

Here's the geo with the WC angleset and the fork at 160mm:
    HA - 64.4
    STA - 73.3
    Wheelbase - 1268.2mm (49.9in - for some reason I can't understand mm for wheelbase)
    *edit* If what beer_coffee_water says is true that makes the wheelbase shorter - 1254.8mm / 49.4in
    Reach - 496mm
    Stack - 662mm
    Do you know what this did to the BB height?

I had no idea people were running 160mm forks on these frames. I was thinking 140 would be pretty sweet with a -1 headset, but if I could put a 150 Fox 36 on this frame it would be hilarious.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Do you know what this did to the BB height?

I had no idea people were running 160mm forks on these frames. I was thinking 140 would be pretty sweet with a -1 headset, but if I could put a 150 Fox 36 on this frame it would be hilarious.
    According to the geo calculator that I posted earlier it raises the BB by 9mm bringing it from 310mm to 319mm (12.5in) and change.

It feels lower than when I was running the fork at 160mm on the OG Honzo. The most noticeable difference is the new Honzo feels way better when cornering.

Bnerd
    Agreed. On my Norco Sight I am running Basis grips and a Chromag top cap. Just to get some of the Chromag magic on my side. LMAO!!!

Name:	IMG_7452.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	1226086Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7454.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	1226087

I was thinking about the BZA bar and stem for the Honzo build but I have a old SixC gathering dust at the moment.

As for Whistler, been there lots. Last time I was at there I didn't even ride the hill. We did the following (I think):

1. Blackcomb access road --> Microclimate (twice)
    2. Yummy Numby
    3. Comfortably Numb
    4. River Runs Through It
    5. A bunch of crazy shit including/involving/around the 3 Danimal sections, and then up to the Rainbow-Sproatt traverses (in there somewhere we did High Society, Three Birds, and AC/DC).

We also did the trail network in the Lost Lake area, which was a little on the tame side, but ok. Frank Zappa trails I think? Or something like that.

We ran into the mom of the Iles brothers when we were riding one day. She was good enough to act as our trail guide for some of the rides, including Yummy Numby (which was super cool).

Best place ever. Winter, summer and everything in between. I can't complain about where I am either though...

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/east-o...mountains.html
    That sixc bar is sweet. One came on the Transition Sentinel that I bought used. Unfortunately the previous owner had cut them down too short for my liking and I sold them.

Yeah, I can't complain about the amount of trails that I have access to!
    The Sproatt section of the Flank Trail is referred to as Westside (The Danimals, 3Birds, ACDC, High Society, etc). That's my go-to area for riding.
    Don't knock the Zappa Trails in Lost Lake Park! Yes, they're intermediate style trails but the easy access to them make for great quick rips. Or you can spend quite a bit of time if you connect the Zappa's into a longer ride.

It's definitely easy to come to Whistler and not ride the park. There's so many trails in the valley that you could spend the better part of 2 weeks trying to ride them all!

mtbr member
    How are you with the fit of the new frame? Itís much longer in reach and ETT compared to the old standard 20Ē OG Honzo frame you had.

Bnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    How are you with the fit of the new frame? Itís much longer in reach and ETT compared to the old standard 20Ē OG Honzo frame you had.
    The fit is good. I've only had one ride on it so far so it's early days yet. The bike season is also closing down real quick.

I saw the way forward a few years back when I got a bike that actually fit well that had a longer reach than anything I had previously ridden ( a Banshee Prime). When I bought the 2012 Honzo all those years ago I was stubborn about how bikes should be. Even as a tall person. I was just so used to being perched way on top of bikes that didn't fit well and just dealing with it.

Since getting on the Transition Sentinel at the end of this summer I'm now all about having the Reach as long as possible and the seat tube as steep as possible. That's the only thing missing on the 2018 Honzo, a steep seat tube angle. I'm running the seat quite far forward on the rails to make up for that somewhat.

Bnerd
    I received my 30yr anniversary head tube badge the other day and I'm quite disappointed. It feels like it's a thin plastic rather than a robust metal like the OG Honzo badge was.

You'd think that because it is a special badge that they're selling separate from the bike that it'd be of a better quality.

I'm kicking myself now for not taking the badge off of my OG Honzo before I sent it in. I really liked that one. It was a solid metal badge for the ages.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Is the honzo threaded or pf bb?

mtbr member
    Agree, itís thin and def not worth $20. Hopefully, it will look better installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I got the head badge as well and I am disappointed that it doesn't cover the entire graphic on the headtube on my Big Honzo so some of the original one shows above and below. I have not mounted mine yet, maybe I will hang onto it for a while and flip it once they become coveted.

high pivot witchcraft
    On a related front, while I am still waiting for my new wheel set, my decals for that wheel set, which will match that same head tube badge, look like this:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_7f.jpg

Still very much a work in progress. No fork. No rotors. No wheel set. And it's not too late to change those decals however I want.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_80.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_82.jpg

Do you guys think there is too much orange going on? Should I go with something more subtle for the rim decals? Those stock wheels and fork will be replaced, hopefully soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tantrum007 View Post
    Is the honzo threaded or pf bb?
    The steel frame is threaded
    The alloy and carbon are pressfit

mtbr member
    Looking good Mike, the amount of orange will be just right. What's up with that fork, why is it still not here?
    Good luck with the bike, looks really gorgeous. Hope you can muddy it before the winter comes. Or is it already upon you?

mtbr member
    I received my 30yr anniversary head tube badge the other day and I'm quite disappointed. It feels like it's a thin plastic rather than a robust metal like the OG Honzo badge was.

You'd think that because it is a special badge that they're selling separate from the bike that it'd be of a better quality.

I'm kicking myself now for not taking the badge off of my OG Honzo before I sent it in. I really liked that one. It was a solid metal badge for the ages.
    That's a big shame. Maybe you can talk kona into sending you one of those black chain ring style badges. I'm sure they still got loads of those.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    The steel frame is threaded

The alloy and carbon are pressfit
    Thank you Angel

mtbr member
    On a related front, while I am still waiting for my new wheel set, my decals for that wheel set, which will match that same head tube badge, look like this:

Name:	fullsizeoutput_7f.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	330.2 KB 
ID:	1227020

Still very much a work in progress. No fork. No rotors. No wheel set. And it's not too late to change those decals however I want.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_80.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	1227021

Name:	fullsizeoutput_82.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	249.7 KB 
ID:	1227026

Do you guys think there is too much orange going on? Should I go with something more subtle for the rim decals? Those stock wheels and fork will be replaced, hopefully soon.
    Looks good Mike! Let your freak flag fly and add all the orange you want.....it'll be covered in snow anyway
    greener pastures

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Looks good Mike! Let your freak flag fly and add all the orange you want.....it'll be covered in snow anyway
    Thanks tons Marcus. There are other changes in the works as well. I may replace the Shimano chain with a gold KMC Ti-Nitride to fully bling out the kashima on the dropper and fork (if the fork ever arrives).

Still deciding on tires. I'm going to keep the OEM white lettered 2.3 DHFs for my Sight. Still deciding between 2.5 DHFs front and rear on the Honzo, or a 2.5 DHF/2.5 Aggressor combo, or hold out for the 2.5 EXO AssGuys front and rear, which will be available soon.

As for snow, this was taken October 2, 2018...sigh...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_6458.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Looking good Mike, the amount of orange will be just right. What's up with that fork, why is it still not here?
    Good luck with the bike, looks really gorgeous. Hope you can muddy it before the winter comes. Or is it already upon you?
    Thanks Rynee.

I understand the Canadian distributor for Fox has changed, which has delayed delivery. Or something. Or maybe that's BS. Not sure. But yeah - the fork is still not here, but still promised by Fox.

As for winter coming, see my post immediately above...

mtbr member
    Mike, I forget what size Honzo are you riding. It looks like a large from the seat brace. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am guessing the snow is helping in a sense because if I had a new shiny toy I would ride it regardless of what fork was on it

The 30th looks so good. It is top three for me between the OG Blue, Raw Tint of 16-17 and now the Dark Chrome of the 30th.

high pivot witchcraft
    Mike, I forget what size Honzo are you riding. It looks like a large from the seat brace. Correct me if I am wrong.

I am guessing the snow is helping in a sense because if I had a new shiny toy I would ride it regardless of what fork was on it

The 30th looks so good. It is top three for me between the OG Blue, Raw Tint of 16-17 and now the Dark Chrome of the 30th.
    Yes Sir. It's a large.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_85.jpg

And yes, the snow is a bit of a blessing in disguise in that regard. Then again, the LBS said I can take it and ride it if I want in the meantime, and they will still do the fork swap when my new 34 arrives. That's what 25 years of loyalty gets you.

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but I just dropped a shit ton of money on my new Norco Sight. I went to the LBS to return some grips I never ended up using. I saw the Honzo bike on the floor. It had just arrived and they had it propped up all alone, proudly on full display. I knew literally the second I saw it that I had to buy it.

Plus, I already had matching beer glasses...I took that as a sign from above...the green light from the Big Guy to throw down on the Honzo and defer the purchase of the new fridge, stove and dishwasher...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_87.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_7b.jpg

I have been wanting to buy a Kona really bad for a few years now. But that colour...it blew me away. It looks so rich to my eye. It has a very "deep" look to it, if you know what I mean - the polished finish makes it look like it has about 15 layers of super high quality paint on it.

It is a nice match and will get along just fine parked beside my 2015 fixie Paddy Wagon (the colour on it is nice too, but not nearly in the same ball park as the Honzo).

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1250.jpg

I love all the colours you listed. I am also super digging the green and gold frame RE just got. The as built pics above are incredible. I would be SUPER STOKED with that frame as well.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 12-01-2018 at 01:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks tons Marcus. There are other changes in the works as well. I may replace the Shimano chain with a gold KMC Ti-Nitride to fully bling out the kashima on the dropper and fork (if the fork ever arrives).

Still deciding on tires. I'm going to keep the OEM white lettered 2.3 DHFs for my Sight. Still deciding between 2.5 DHFs front and rear on the Honzo, or a 2.5 DHF/2.5 Aggressor combo, or hold out for the 2.5 EXO AssGuys front and rear, which will be available soon.

As for snow, this was taken October 2, 2018...sigh...

Name:	IMG_6458.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	1227083
    Just switched to a 2.5wt DHF on my hei hei and really like it. Only gained 140-150 grams over the nobby nic. In the rear im running a 2.3 griffin. Ive also been blown away by the traction and fast rolling nature of that tire. I'd be all over an DHF/aggressor 2.5 on the honzo for sure.
    greener pastures

mtbr member

Honzo Ti+ Project taking shape

I laced up the 27+ wheelset this evening:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181201_224348.jpg

Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    Praxis AL32 27.5" asym rims
    Unidentified colored spokes from a used 26" wheelset - i switched from 3x to 2x lacing, and the spoke length fits nicely for the 27.5 rims

Front weighs in at 905g with 20mm adapters, rear at 1050g with 135QR adapter, but should be about the same once they're converted to 142.

Those will be wrapped in Praxis tubeless rimtape and Minion DHFs 27x2.8 soon, fitted with an Absolute Black N/W 20 tooth cog and bolted to the Honzo Ti, which will be single speeded for the winter months.

high pivot witchcraft
    I laced up the 27+ wheelset this evening:

Name:	IMG_20181201_224348.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	1227121

Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    Praxis AL32 27.5" asym rims
    Unidentified colored spokes from a used 26" wheelset - i switched from 3x to 2x lacing, and the spoke length fits nicely for the 27.5 rims

Front weighs in at 905g with 20mm adapters, rear at 1050g with 135QR adapter, but should be about the same once they're converted to 142.

Those will be wrapped in Praxis tubeless rimtape and Minion DHFs 27x2.8 soon, fitted with an Absolute Black N/W 20 tooth cog and bolted to the Honzo Ti, which will be single speeded for the winter months.
    Wow. Outstanding Rynee. I wish I had the mechanical wherewithal to do that.

That may be my next target though. Seeing if I might be able to acquire a 27.5+ wheelset...

Bnerd
    @mtnbkrmike, that sucks about the wait time on the fork. I totally get you on the waiting game. I was in a similar situation waiting for my frame to land. There wasn't a set date just a sometime late Fall arrival. I lucked out and got the frame before Winter closed in. Although, I would like to see that amount of snow in that picture you posted here in the valley and on the mountains right now! It has been a horrible start to the Winter season! I can at least console myself with riding my new bike between going to work on horrible snow conditions!

I got out for another ride today. It's only my second ride on the 2019 Honzo.

What really stands out in comparison to the OG Honzo is how much smoother this bike feels. The OG Honzo was a harsh ride in comparison to this new Honzo. Whatever tweaks Kona did to the newer frame generations are for the better. I think I actually understand the love for steel now!
    The way people waxed poetic about how a steel frame rode made me wonder what I was missing because of how I felt the OG Honzo rode. Now I get it!

I'm really liking the fork, an F36 RC2, set at 160mm along with the slacker front end because of the angleset. There's a few really awkward tight punchy tech climbs on the ride today and the front end didn't feel at all like a handful while riding through those sections. In comparison when riding my Sentinel through those sections I find I really need to force the front end to go where I need it to. Both my Honzo and Sentinel have very close HTA numbers (64*).

I did get a little bit of tire buzz on the chainstay when I was seriously putting the power down on one climb. I'll have to take a look to see how the dropouts are sitting before my next ride. They may have shifted a bit. Or it could be that 28 spokes are not enough to keep a wheel from deforming under me when I lay down the power!

Here's some bike pr0n! It isn't ride if you don't take a picture of you bike, right!?

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181201_132039_2.jpg
    Last edited by RideEverything; 12-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow. Outstanding Rynee. I wish I had the mechanical wherewithal to do that.

That may be my next target though. Seeing if I might be able to acquire a 27.5+ wheelset...
    Thanks a lot Mike, but that is too much praise I shied away from wheelbuilding for years until a friend of mine built his first wheel based on a YouTube how to video, which he shared with me. It's actually quite a straightforward and process, and very satisfying once done. A truing stand is a great help though, when I built my first wheel I used the frame as a truing guide, but that's an inferior solution.

That amount of snow on your porch is phantastic!

Have a good weekend,
    Rynee

high pivot witchcraft
    Update...

Wheel set has shipped, but no 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade as WAO is waiting for its DT shipment. Whatever. They will send it when they get and it is a simple drop in replacement for the standard 18 tooth.

Fork is here and installed.

Rotors are here and installed.

Everything is here and installed.

All I need to do is decide on tires. I have the stock 2.3 DHFs but I am going to keep those for my FS and go for something significantly beefier on my Honzo.

I need to decide on tires but that's it. I will do that this weekend. Likely Minions. I am too set in my ways to stray from them now.

I bought that bike in August and it has been at the LBS ever since waiting for Fox to deliver that fork. Wow. 4 months. That fork better be damned good.

high pivot witchcraft

RE - I think Kona may have something similar on its website right now. It too may be a POS plastic ripoff. Tough to tell. It's not inexpensive at $29. Why don't you call them and check it out? 403.984.1374 I bet they would take the 30th badge back too if you asked.

Name:  mountaincogheadtubebadge.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  14.7 KB

mtbr member
    Nice find! Although I would check with them first. Didnít the OG Honzo have a straight 44mm HT? Fitting a metal badge on the new tapered HT May prove difficult and would need some complicated bends. This is probably why the new 30th badge is flexible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Personally, I like to run DHR 2.4WTs both front and rear on my honzo. I'll get a bit of extra life out of the front tire when the side knobs wear off and throw it on the back until the center knobs are worn down.

The Agent Wheels from WAO are sweet. Great compliment for an awesome hardtail you can rally. As for the 36 star ratchet upgrade, I'd suggest canceling that from WAO a and see if you can snag a 54 tooth ratchet from online somewhere else. When there is any slow speed tech sections, 54 points of engagement are spot on. Really enjoyed that in Moab and Grand Junction, CO.

mtbr member
    I just put 2.35 Schwalbe Addix Soft HD2/MM on my HT because I have them on my FS. I think they are as grippy as Minions but much lighter and a bit faster rolling.

mtbr member
    Cool to hear youre liking the HD2. Nobby nic makes a good rear tire as well. Theres no way I'd run a minion in the rear for anything less the gravity.
    greener pastures

high pivot witchcraft
    Cool to hear youre liking the HD2. Nobby nic makes a good rear tire as well. Theres no way I'd run a minion in the rear for anything less the gravity.
    Aaarrrggghhh.

The tire decision is killing me. I was just about ready to throw down on 2.5 DHFs front and rear (3C/DC).

mtbr member
    Why not 2.5 3C DHF and 2.5 DC Aggressor?

I like that combo on my FS.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I just put 2.35 Schwalbe Addix Soft HD2/MM on my HT because I have them on my FS. I think they are as grippy as Minions but much lighter and a bit faster rolling.
    Were you previously running higher volume tires on your Moxy? You donít ascribe to the idea of cramming the biggest tires in that will fit (within reason), to buy a little squish on the HT?

high pivot witchcraft
    Why not 2.5 3C DHF and 2.5 DC Aggressor?

I like that combo on my FS.
    Yes. Thatís in the top 3 combos. I had read that some people noticed little difference in RR between the Agrressor and the DHF DC on the rear.

Thanks for the input. I think that is where I may land on this. I am going to pull the pin today on tires.

Thinking about the new trail version of the AssGuys too, front and rear...

mtbr member
    What wheels are you running on your HT?

mtbr member
    Were you previously running higher volume tires on your Moxy? You donít ascribe to the idea of cramming the biggest tires in that will fit (within reason), to buy a little squish on the HT?

Don't get me wrong, I'm running a 2.5wt DHF on my HEI HEI and love it! Wouldn't run one in the back though

I will also say that I really liked to running 29x 2.6s on my honzo. I bet you could get a 2.6 nobby nic and 2.6 magic mary on there easily. You could also do a 2.6 rekon if you wanna stick with maxxis
    greener pastures

high pivot witchcraft
    Don't get me wrong, I'm running a 2.5wt DHF on my HEI HEI and love it! Wouldn't run one in the back though

I will also say that I really liked to running 29x 2.6s on my honzo. I bet you could get a 2.6 nobby nic and 2.6 magic mary on there easily. You could also do a 2.6 rekon if you wanna stick with maxxis
    For some reason I canít seem to stray from Maxxis. My experience long ago with Schwalbe was dismal. Read...short lived. I appreciate that they are more robust now but for whatever reason, I am pretty brand loyal when it comes to tires. And pretty Minion loyal when it comes to Maxxis.

A buddy of mine ran the 2.6 DHF/2.6 Rekon combo on his Mach 5.5 (stock set up). He switched to a 2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR2 combo and has never looked back. His advice...that combo was awfully squirmy for him.

mtbr member
    For some reason I canít seem to stray from Maxxis. My experience long ago with Schwalbe was dismal. Read...short lived. I appreciate that they are more robust now but for whatever reason, I am pretty brand loyal when it comes to tires. And pretty Minion loyal when it comes to Maxxis.

A buddy of mine ran the 2.6 DHF/2.6 Rekon combo on his Mach 5.5 (stock set up). He switched to a 2.5 DHF/2.4 DHR2 combo and has never looked back. His advice...that combo was awfully squirmy for him.
    Schwalbe has come a long way in the last couple years. Hard to beat them for weight and size. They actually run true and bigger than advertised. Totally understand the brand loyalty. We're both guilty of a that

I wouldn't run 2.6 and larger on FS in the rear because they are really sensitive to pressure. I'd do it on a HT all day long. 2.6 is the max though. The 27+ thing can go [email protected] itself.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    I have WAO Agents. 2.35 Schwalbe is almost the same as 2.5 Maxxis. When soft compound 2.6 are available I will use them in the wet season. Over 600km on my FS's Schwalbes and they are still good. Nothing like the old HD. I may try SS again so weight and rolling resistance can be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

high pivot witchcraft
    For the Schwalbe guys...

For the usually dry, sometimes rocky terrain that I am in, what combo would you recommend for the Honzo in Schwalbeís lineup? I do not believe that stuffing a 2.6 in any of Schwalbeís tires in the rear is a problem size wise.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Pretty much describes here.

Nobby nic in the back and the new Hans dampf 2 up front.

If you have dirt, HD2 in back MM up front
    greener pastures

high pivot witchcraft
    Maybe I will give the Schwalbeís a shot. MM/HD. I would rather err on the side of robustness. Any sense running HDs front and rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My somewhat upgraded 2018 AL... my guide RS, saint shifter and slx rear mech ain't on the pic either

Skickat frŚn min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnteXTC; 12-09-2018 at 12:32 AM.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteXTC View Post
    My somewhat upgraded 2018 AL... my guide RS, saint shifter and slx rear mech ain't on the pic either AL

Nice.

What do you have going on below your bottle cage?

mtbr member
    You guys with STs, any need to apply frame saver or other rust protectant before I build up?

high pivot witchcraft
    You guys with STs, any need to apply frame saver or other rust protectant before I build up?
    I didnít intend to do that to mine, but I will be interested in any responses you get. What are some details of your build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice.

What do you have going on below your bottle cage?
    https://www.76projects.com/shop/thepiggy

mtbr member
    I have had two frames so far and did not apply an anti-rust treatment to either. They have held up well with only minor surface rust at the wields that can be wiped off. I think you'll be fine. The Honzo is a stout frame.

mtbr member
    I have had two frames so far and did not apply an anti-rust treatment to either. They have held up well with only minor surface rust at the wields that can be wiped off. I think you'll be fine. The Honzo is a stout frame.
    It's not the outside that needs to be treated.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

Wanna ride bikes?
    If you live anywhere other than a dry climate you should treat the inside of the frame IMO. It costs only a few dollars and takes 15 minutes.

Rust doesn't "wipe off" either.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

high pivot witchcraft
    Wow. Yet another gopher hole I just went down.

Frame saver...

In prior threads, some have said it is not necessary and a super messy process.

Is there any objective basis that this should be applied? My frame was stripped but then rebuilt. I really do not want to tear everything off again if there is no real reason to.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. And thanks superbird for raising this.

mtbr member
    It's not the outside that needs to be treated.
    Yes, I know. I'll live with the potential of my Honzo rusting away, but it is still clean on the inside of of the seat tube, head tube and bottom bracket after 3 years. Most people do not keep frames long enough to worry about rust eating their frame away. I'll probably keep mine until I break it or get a custom 27.5 made.

If you live anywhere other than a dry climate you should treat the inside of the frame IMO. It costs only a few dollars and takes 15 minutes.

Rust doesn't "wipe off" either.
    I do live in CA so the weather is usually cooperative. And rust that forms on the welds where the paint or coating is thin or rough wipes off easy with a paper towel and some oil...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Does anyone with a CR DL have a 130mm fork? I have the frame and all the parts to build up my Honzo CR DL but I'm having second thoughts about the fork. I bought a 130mm pike that was originally going on my Evil Following MB but I've since decided to part it out. So the plan was to use it on my Honzo but I worried the extra 10mm might take away some of the "sharpness" of the Honzo's handling. It would be a little bit of a PITA but I was thinking about selling the 130mm pike to find a 120mm instead. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    Does anyone with a CR DL have a 130mm fork? I have the frame and all the parts to build up my Honzo CR DL but I'm having second thoughts about the fork. I bought a 130mm pike that was originally going on my Evil Following MB but I've since decided to part it out. So the plan was to use it on my Honzo but I worried the extra 10mm might take away some of the "sharpness" of the Honzo's handling. It would be a little bit of a PITA but I was thinking about selling the 130mm pike to find a 120mm instead. Thoughts?
    I bumped my Pike up to 140mm on my CR DL and have been really happy with it for everything from XC racing to Enduro. Found downhills much more comfortable with little impact to climbing/cornering. Also, you can just swap air springs to downsize to 120mm, no need to change forks.

mtbr member
    A 130mm fork works great. It won't disturb the handling at all. And as FJrunr said, you can decrease the travel to 120mm with a ~ $40 air spring shaft.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I do live in CA so the weather is usually cooperative. And rust that forms on the welds where the paint or coating is thin or rough wipes off easy with a paper towel and some oil...
    I'm not interested in re-hashing a subject that's been beaten to death, or derailing the thread so this is the last I'll say about it. Once the rust starts it will never go away unless chemically treated or sand blasted and repainted. Wiping it certainly won't do it. Treating the frame from the start is the best way. I'm out.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    A 130mm fork works great. It won't disturb the handling at all. And as FJrunr said, you can decrease the travel to 120mm with a ~ $40 air spring shaft.
    Yea, I think I'll just ride it that way at first. Most of my bikes are "overforked" but I want the Honzo to be more of a XC bike so I was thinking about keeping the geometry stock.

high pivot witchcraft
    I'm not interested in re-hashing a subject that's been beaten to death, or derailing the thread so this is the last I'll say about it. Once the rust starts it will never go away unless chemically treated or sand blasted and repainted. Wiping it certainly won't do it. Treating the frame from the start is the best way. I'm out.
    I missed the earlier debates. That said, better safe than sorry. I'm down.

I just realized...I better do the rust treatment thing to my Kona Paddy Wagon as well. Not having owed many steel frames in my life, this is a new concept to me.

mtbr member
    A 130mm fork works great. It won't disturb the handling at all. .
    This X2

I set my old honzo into a bike park mode by installing a 130mm air shaft, bigger rotors and DH tires. I can say there was no noticeable difference in handling as it was just as nimble to when it was running a 120mm shaft. It also raised the BB a little which was nice considering it was under 12". To do again, id probably go 1.5-2.0* headset instead of the 1.0 i was running.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20180927_163042821.jpg
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 12-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi,
    is there anybody that have experience with an Honzo CR with 100m fork?I am looking for more a XC racing oriented solution.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlobNZ View Post
    Hi,
    is there anybody that have experience with an Honzo CR with 100m fork?I am looking for more a XC racing oriented solution.
    Cheers
    No experience running 100mm fork on a honzo but would imagine that it'd put the BB even lower than it already is. Try it with the 120mm first as i'd bet youll be happy with that, and most XC bikes are going a little longer in travel anyway.

Dont forget the HTA steepens and BB height drops when you sag the fork to 25-30%
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    I know this was partly discussed in September - but I'm building a Honzo CR, and looking at a 130-140mm fork. I'm curious about offsets... Has anyone run a 41?

I've read that the shorter offset will shorten wheelbase a bit and typically requires a long TT, which this bike has in spades...
    Honzo CR Radtail | Ripmo | RLT Steel Groadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VooDooBokor View Post
    I know this was partly discussed in September - but I'm building a Honzo CR, and looking at a 130-140mm fork. I'm curious about offsets... Has anyone run a 41?

I've read that the shorter offset will shorten wheelbase a bit and typically requires a long TT, which this bike has in spades...
    It also requires a slack head angle which the Honzo doesn't really have. Pushing the fork to 140 will help, but unless you run a works headset or similar, a standard 46-51 offset fork will most likely provide the best handling compromises. I ran my Honzo at 140 with a 46 offset and I prefered it over a 51. Now I am planning to rebuild it with a works -2į headset and use a 42mm offset crown on a 552mm a2c fork.

mtbr member
    It also requires a slack head angle which the Honzo doesn't really have. Pushing the fork to 140 will help, but unless you run a works headset or similar, a standard 46-51 offset fork will most likely provide the best handling compromises. I ran my Honzo at 140 with a 46 offset and I prefered it over a 51. Now I am planning to rebuild it with a works -2į headset and use a 42mm offset crown on a 552mm a2c fork.
    Super helpful, thanks. So, it sounds like with a 140mm fork and stock headset, you prefered 46 over 51, but think 41 would be too little/too snappy?

mtbr member
    I've run as short as a 37mm offset on the honzo with a stock headset. It felt responsive but not twitchy.

Best combination so far has been 130mm with a 2* and 40mm. Don't go shorter CSU without slacking the headset.

My current rig (HEI HEI 29) has a 2* with a 40mm offset and 120mm fork. Feels perfect for that bike.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Thanks! CSU = Crown/Steerer/Upper yes? Is this the same as offset?

To just come out with it, what would the Honzo'ans recommend:

Stock Headset, Honzo CR

1. 140mm 51mm offset (MRP)
    2. 140mm 41mm offset (Fox)

mtbr member
    Thanks! CSU = Crown/Steerer/Upper yes? Is this the same as offset?

To just come out with it, what would the Honzo'ans recommend:

Stock Headset, Honzo CR

1. 140mm 51mm offset (MRP)
    2. 140mm 41mm offset (Fox)
    Id run the shorter offset as it's much easier/cheaper to change a headset or reduce travel than to swap a CSU.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Wow. Yet another gopher hole I just went down.

Frame saver...
    Yeah...didnít mean to start a potential war, just wanted some opinions on the Honzo frame in general. I agree, itís a preventative and a good idea. Is it necessary? I feel YMMV based upon many factors. Itís like buying the insurance for that fancy TV you just bought at Best Buy - do you need it? It depends, but sure nice to have the piece of mind.

That being said, itís interesting that frame saver is not the easiest thing to find! None of my LBS had it and had to find on Jensen. Just waiting for it to arrive and start the build process!

2018 Large Honzo ST - swapping components off my 2017 Med Al Big Honzo and building up as 27.5+. New BB and dropper, and -1* works headset, but everything else is coming right over.

For anyone interested, my Large ST frame cam in at 7.25lbs in contrast to my Med Al frame which came in at 5lbs even - and thatís with the headset and BB still installed - quite a difference. ST is just a beautiful frame though, but weight weenies need not apply.

Also - hereís how the 20th anniv badge looks on the front of a current ST - not the best, but not bad either. Still debating whether to keep on there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-ef87494f-239a-4e8c-999c-ccbb277518f5.jpeg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-8456546b-74e7-4599-a4e3-6638b3ffb55e.jpeg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-f0c22460-7fdc-4a7c-85df-8c9587c27ce8.jpeg  

Last edited by superbird; 12-14-2018 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr super member
    I just picked up a 2018 Big Honzo DL frame. Would someone mind confirming that I need a zs44/zs56 headset? Iím having a hard time finding this info online for this particular year.

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Biffard View Post
    I just picked up a 2018 Big Honzo DL frame. Would someone mind confirming that I need a zs44/zs56 headset? Iím having a hard time finding this info online for this particular year.
    Thatís correct.

Hereís my current Big Honzo setup:

mtbr super member
    Thank you sennaster! I got the same frame color and canít wait to build it up!

mtbr member

'18 Honzo CR Trail Build

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_12c7.jpg

Looking forward to the sum of the parts...

high pivot witchcraft

Name:	fullsizeoutput_12c7.jpg 
Views:	742 
Size:	349.7 KB 
ID:	1229045

Looking forward to the sum of the parts...
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I built a 2017 ST, medium frame, 27.5+. Here are the specs:
    Fox 34 Performance Fork 140mm
    Sram Guide RS Carbon Brakes
    Kona Stem and Bar
    Kona Saddle
    Integra Dropper Post
    Novatec Hubs with WTB i29 Rims
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8's

In this config the bike rips, the 140mm is great, but I am considering upgrading to a 36 with maybe 150 or 160mm of travel. I also have a new wheelset, DT Swiss 370 Hubs with AR40 rims and Maxxis Chronicle 3.0 tires. We will see if the 3.0's fit in the rear. I hope to have some good photos in the next week or so. It has been built for several months and I have logged some good time, but it is up in the workshop now during the cold months so I can tinker.

-Andrew

mtbr member
    Got The Great Milenkzo all built up. First ride report: Rad AF. Super stoked about this build. Haven't ridden a hardtail in a decade, I'm a believer.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7150.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_7148.jpg

Build:
    2018 Honzo CR Trail Radtail (L)
    Fox 36 Performance Elite, 140mm, 51mm offset
    KS Lev Integra Dropper, 150mm
    Ibis 935 Carbon hoops, i9 hubs
    Bontrager XR4 2.4" R / XR4 2.6" F
    GX Eagle Rear Derailleur, Shifter, Chain
    Race Face Next R Cranks, 32t, 170mm
    XTR Race Levers/Trail Calipers
    XT Icetech rotors, 160mm R / 180mm F
    RaceFace Next Handlebar, 760mm
    Kona 40mm Stem
    Cane Creek 40 Integrated Headset
    ESI Chunky Grips
    XT Trail Pedals
    24.3 lbs
    Last edited by VooDooBokor; 12-17-2018 at 01:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks good man!

Suprised on the weight, thats really light for a 36 and 150mm dropper.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Looks good man!

Suprised on the weight, thats really light for a 36 and 150mm dropper.
    Ya, I was pleasantly surprised too. I was actually looking to trade the 36 for a Pike or Ribbon to shave 1/4-1/2 lb., but the weight actually feels fairly balanced and the 36 PERFORMS.

mtbr member
    My AL large was 27 with trail tires and close to 28 with DH rubber.

Staying under 25 lbs is nothing to complain about with those parts. Nicely done
    greener pastures

high pivot witchcraft
    Got The Great Milenkzo all built up. First ride report: Rad AF. Super stoked about this build. Haven't ridden a hardtail in a decade, I'm a believer.

Name:	IMG_7150.jpg 
Views:	1333 
Size:	570.5 KB 
ID:	1229394

Name:	IMG_7148.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	232.8 KB 
ID:	1229393

Build:
    2018 Honzo CR Trail Radtail (L)
    Fox 36 Performance Elite, 140mm, 51mm offset
    KS Lev Integra Dropper, 150mm
    Ibis 935 Carbon hoops, i9 hubs
    Bontrager XR4 2.4" R / XR4 2.6" F
    GX Eagle Rear Derailleur, Shifter, Chain
    Race Face Next R Cranks, 32t, 170mm
    XTR Race Levers/Trail Calipers
    XT Icetech rotors, 160mm R / 180mm F
    RaceFace Next Handlebar, 760mm
    Kona 40mm Stem
    Cane Creek 40 Integrated Headset
    ESI Chunky Grips
    XT Trail Pedals
    24.3 lbs
    Incredible.

I am shooting for not too much north of 30 with my build. And I think I am going to fail miserably. LMAO.

I actually don't think I am going to weigh it when I am done.

Your bike turned out amazing. Congrats.

Probably a dumb question, but where does "the Great Milenkzo" come from? I think I got the "zo" part covered, but not sure about the rest...

mtbr member
    Probably a dumb question, but where does "the Great Milenkzo" come from? I think I got the "zo" part covered, but not sure about the rest...
    Thanks! Not a dumb question, I'm glad you asked.

I grew up my entire life assuming ICP (Insane Clown Posse) was the biggest pile of dog shit band on the planet. Than I took a MTB trip with the boys to Moab this fall and some guys were playing some shit, and I was like "this is awesome, who is this?"... "This is ICP". My mind was blown.

The Great Milenko (album released in 1997) is the fourth joker card and is a necromancer and illusionist who tries to trick individuals into acts of greed, envy, and lust... kind of like my Honzo.

high pivot witchcraft
    Thanks! Not a dumb question, I'm glad you asked.

I grew up my entire life assuming ICP (Insane Clown Posse) was the biggest pile of dog shit band on the planet. Than I took a MTB trip with the boys to Moab this fall and some guys were playing some shit, and I was like "this is awesome, who is this?"... "This is ICP". My mind was blown.

The Great Milenko (album released in 1997) is the fourth joker card and is a necromancer and illusionist who tries to trick individuals into acts of greed, envy, and lust... kind of like my Honzo.
    And here I was trying to string component names together...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    I'm not a fan of logos, decals or branding of any kind...on anything. The one thing I never liked about my Ti Honzo was the paint and branding. So I dropped the Honzo frame off at a local powder coater and had them bead blast the clear coat and paint. As far as I'm concerned it should be a crime to paint Ti.

Thinking about taking a Scotchbrite pad to the frame to smooth it out, but I'm digging the raw Ti finish. The only drawback is the rough texture is a magnet for dirt and fingerprints, but I might ride it for a while as is. Anyways, if anyone was interested it only cost $40 and in my opinion looks far better.Attachment 1229608
    Awesome! How are you gonna rebuild it? As before, or any updates?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just stopped into my buddies shop and he has a M limited edition chrome Honzo ST full build for sale... I thought one of you may be interested! I think the sticker was $2,300. Pm me if you'd like to get into contact with him.
    ~BigBMX
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. ~Benjamin Franklin

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBMX View Post
    Just stopped into my buddies shop and he has a M limited edition chrome Honzo ST full build for sale... I thought one of you may be interested! I think the sticker was $2,300. Pm me if you'd like to get into contact with him.
    ~BigBMX
    Similarly, there is an XL on the floor of the LBS I deal with.

mtbr member
    Almost same as before. It's set up single speed with an XO crank, XT brakes, Roval carbon wheelset, Race Face carbon bar and 40mm Easton stem. I've been running a Fox 34 130, but I've got a Fox 36 160 I'm gonna slap on just for grins to see how it feels.
    Sounds sweet! ST version of my build almost. My 36 came with 160mm travel, but threw a 140mm spring in for $40. Pretty shhhhhweeeeet.

mtbr member
    Is there any objective basis that this should be applied? My frame was stripped but then rebuilt. I really do not want to tear everything off again if there is no real reason to.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you. And thanks superbird for raising this.
    I rode a Surly Pugsley fatbike through several CDN winters with accompanying salt on the roads/pavement during urban assault missions. It also camped with me on the beach in Baja for months at a time.

After 3-4 years I stripped it down to re-powdercoat it. Zero issues with internal rust and some surface rust that easily sanded off. I could have avoided the external rust if I had just washed it down once in a while. I pretty much treated that frame like crap.

I have bought a few steel frames since. I rustproofed one and didn't bother with the other. No difference despite living in the PNWet. I don't plan on rustproofing my next steel frame.

I would make sure you have a hole at the bottom of your BB shell so water doesn't build up there. If you are feeling a little concern just spray frame saver down the seattube as that's where most of the water will come into your frame. I use a Mudhugger fender on the bikes I ride in the winter to keep crap off me and it protects the dropper and prevents most of the water from reaching the top of the seattube.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I just bought a 2015 Kona HonzoST and I am trying to figure out if Azonic Outlaw 29er wheel set will fit on the rer with the axel adapter. I think my wife bought me a set from Camria and I hope I can use them on the 12x142 QR rear axel.
    Also I hear there is some tire clearance issues on these frames, before I purchase tires does anyone have any suggestions on max width tire size for the rear tire and what brand.

Thanks

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8236.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowch01 View Post
    I just bought a 2015 Kona HonzoST and I am trying to figure out if Azonic Outlaw 29er wheel set will fit on the rer with the axel adapter. I think my wife bought me a set from Camria and I hope I can use them on the 12x142 QR rear axel.
    Also I hear there is some tire clearance issues on these frames, before I purchase tires does anyone have any suggestions on max width tire size for the rear tire and what brand.

Thanks
    That is either a 2016 and the last year of the 142x12 dropouts or 2017 and first year of boost 148x12. I have fit 27.5 2.6s in my 2016, other have fit 27.5 2.8s, 29 2.5s/2.6s. The rear axle will confirm what year it is or your invoice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Ok thanks. Iím the second owner I was told it was a 12x142 and yea itís a 2016 frame.

mtbr member
    Anyone looking to sell their 20" regular 25" ett 2012-2014 frame?

high pivot witchcraft
    Bead blasted the frame, scrubbed it down with a red Scotchbrite pad and let it soak in Pledge for a few hours. Now THAT us how titanium is supposed to look.

Large Ti Honzo set up single speed
    Fox 36 160 with Fit4 damper
    Carbon Roval wheelset - 30mm inner width
    DHF front/Grid Purgatory rear
    Command dropper post
    XO cranks
    XT pedals
    Easton 40mm stem
    Raceface carbon bar at 760mm wide
    Chris King headset
    XT brakes
    NorthShore grips
    Absolute Black chainring (32/20 gearing)

Now the hard part. Tucking it away till next summer while I recover from back surgery. And so I won't be tempted to ride I'm not putting on a chain till I'm ready.

Attachment 1230283
    Attachment 1230284
    Beautiful. GREAT job!

high pivot witchcraft
    Mine is coming along, but still not quite done...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_92.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_90.jpg

mtbr member
    Thanks!
    +1
    looks amazing i.a.n., well done. good luck with your recovery!
    care to post a pic from your driveside?
    i have the same gearing for my 27+ setup.
    are you running an oval front ring? or round? drew major from nsmb is a strong advocate of oval rings for SS. I followed his guidance on my 2013 ST (34 oval + 21 rear) and am very intrigued.

mtbr member
    looking good mike, those rims turned our real nice! so do you have a final decision on tire choice?

mtbr member

Name:	fullsizeoutput_92.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	1230288

Name:	fullsizeoutput_90.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	1230287
    Hell yeah son!
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Thanks, dude! I already put the bike away and buried it under a mountain of blankets in my bike shed. It hurt to look at it and not be able to ride, so I had to get it out of my sight until next summer when I'm hoping to be able to mash again. It's a round chainring. I've heard of ss riders going oval, but had never really considered it myself. I would think the moments of 'slackness' in the chain would feel strange while standing and mashing. But I'd be curious to know how it works from those who've tried.
    What's up with your back? Issues with the discs? I got similar stuff, luckily not (yet) bad enough to warrant surgery. But those ailments are nasty. Good luck and strong healing vibes. I understand that you had to put the rig out of sight.
    I really like the oval ring on both single speed and geared. It does not feel awkward after the initial getting-used-to phase. And the pedalling efficiency is very noticeable when riding ss, in my opinion. The chain wear might be worse, but I have abe not had to change mine yet, so no experience there.
    All the best and happy holidays!

mtbr member
    Iíve got an artificial disc at L4/L5 from a previous surgery. This last surgery was to fix some nerve issues. Yay back problems!

When I get back to riding I just might have to give an oval ring a shot. Thanks. Happy holidays to you as well.
    Ugh that sounds serious. Good luck and fast recovery!
    Here's the article I was referring to.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/flat-pedal-facts/
    Actually drew major adds another piece to the equation, which I forgot: flat pedals. He more or less says: if you ride flat pedals and geared, oval is good to have. If flat pedals and single speed, it's a must have. When using clips he writes that he does not feel such a big difference, but still has a preference for oval.
    I ride flats as well. I've no experience with clips and oval.

high pivot witchcraft
    looking good mike, those rims turned our real nice! so do you have a final decision on tire choice?
    Thanks Rynee. The decals are being re-done darker to better match the Fox orange.

I went with a 2.5 DHF 3C EXO front, and a 2.5 Aggressor DC EXO rear. As soon as the Assguy Trails become available, I will probably grab a set for front and rear.

Hell yeah son!
    Season's Greetings Marcus. All the best to you and yours. I have not forgotten about the early 2019 Texas bike trip. I will keep you in the loop on that...

Ugh that sounds serious. Good luck and fast recovery!
    Here's the article I was referring to.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/flat-pedal-facts/
    Actually drew major adds another piece to the equation, which I forgot: flat pedals. He more or less says: if you ride flat pedals and geared, oval is good to have. If flat pedals and single speed, it's a must have. When using clips he writes that he does not feel such a big difference, but still has a preference for oval.
    I ride flats as well. I've no experience with clips and oval.
    I went with the new RaceFace oval ring on my Honzo. First time trying oval. I will be alternating between that bike and my Sight, which has a traditional non-oval ring. I understand that the ovals are easy and quick to get used to...unless you are alternating with a non-oval ring bike. LMAO. Whatever. Should be interesting, if nothing else.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rynee. The decals are being re-done darker to better match the Fox orange.

I went with a 2.5 DHF 3C EXO front, and a 2.5 Aggressor DC EXO rear. As soon as the Assguy Trails become available, I will probably grab a set for front and rear.

...unless you are alternating with a non-oval ring bike. LMAO. Whatever. Should be interesting, if nothing else.
    I'm very much looking forward to the final build pics! Tire choice sounds very good.

Regarding alternating: I ride a non-oval single speed commuter every weekday, and oval rings on my mtbs. I don't feel any difference or awkwardness... But maybe that's because the bikes and use cases are worlds apart. Looking forward to your experiences. Mine were great with oval rings:much more traction on steep and loose climbs, and a lot less fatigue at the end of long rides (in particular multi day trips with more than 7 hrs in the saddle, 40+ km distances and 1500+ altitude meters per day). The longer the ride, the more pronounced I experienced the advantages. And that was on the 2013 st honzo.

high pivot witchcraft
    I'm very much looking forward to the final build pics! Tire choice sounds very good.

Regarding alternating: I ride a non-oval single speed commuter every weekday, and oval rings on my mtbs. I don't feel any difference or awkwardness... But maybe that's because the bikes and use cases are worlds apart. Looking forward to your experiences. Mine were great with oval rings:much more traction on steep and loose climbs, and a lot less fatigue at the end of long rides (in particular multi day trips with more than 7 hrs in the saddle, 40+ km distances and 1500+ altitude meters per day). The longer the ride, the more pronounced I experienced the advantages. And that was on the 2013 st honzo.
    Wow. That is exciting!

I did the oval ring thing because RaceFace had just come out with them when I did a parts order, and because this bike is being built a little differently in some respects from my other bikes. A test bike in some senses.

I am so stoked to get this bike finished. But I think my patience is paying off. Besides, there is no rush. It won't be until March, and maybe later, that this bike will see any dirt. That said, this is one of the mildest winters I have seen in the past 10 years. Commuting has been a walk in the park. Maybe there will be some decent biking in February.

mtbr member
    That said, this is one of the mildest winters I have seen in the past 10 years.
    yeah we're in for yet another green christmas i guess my kids won't believe me when I tell them that we used to actually have snow at christmas time.

experimental bike sounds good ... the honzo somehow invites one to do this. it's been my first for many things... 29er, one-by, oval, 27+, dropper posts. i love that bike

mtbr member
    Youíre riding flats on your ss as well? Iíd be curious to try just for grins. Lots of steep punchy climbs where I live so I pull up on the pedal while also pushing down on steep climbs, so I definitely need to be clipped in. My geared bike is a Spesh Enduro 29. I ride that clipped in as well. Once Iím back in the saddle Iíll have to experiment.
    yes, since i bought my first pair of 5-10s i switched to flats on all my bikes apart from the roadie. you definitely raise a good point with the pulling part of the stroke, but i guess i've gotten used to doing that with flats as well. and that is precisely where drew major also sees the biggest impact of the oval ring, if i understood correctly.
    give it a try - and some time to adjust. pedal wise i'm using race face atlas, shimano saints, one up composites. i have a slight preference to the atlas and one ups, but that is very personal.

mtbr super member
    Got my new big honzo built up. Itís my winter bike that supplements my full suspension bike. Took it for its maiden voyage and it was awesome. I immediately noticed how well it climbs. Canít wait to take it out some more!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1bfea529-753e-4b76-8038-ca5e9f8d79f7.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-a5e19c98-5c7b-423a-a33d-294b3d21bf44.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    Hell yeah son!
    Got my new big honzo built up. Itís my winter bike that supplements my full suspension bike. Took it for its maiden voyage and it was awesome. I immediately noticed how well it climbs. Canít wait to take it out some more!

Name:	1BFEA529-753E-4B76-8038-CA5E9F8D79F7.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	308.9 KB 
ID:	1230492

Name:	A5E19C98-5C7B-423A-A33D-294B3D21BF44.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	1230495
    I missed this post. That looks incredible. Totally sick. Great job building it. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but maybe list the component spec when you have a moment.

For once, the yellow Maxxis branding ties in with the frame...

Super stoked to hear about the climbing as well. I am a little nervous about mine. Apart from my dedicated winter commuter bike - a rigid Kona Fire Mountain I bought back in 2008 - I have not owned a hardtail in decades. I am worried about the jarring, and about the climbing. I have always found it much easier to climb in the gnar with an active suspension. Locking it out, or even putting it in "trail mode" has never worked well for me. The rear tire has always ended up skipping and skidding and not tracking the terrain very well. I am so hoping my Honzo climbs okay.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-5e71e9f0-458c-43e7-8045-71e0a3fca373.jpg

Sheís getting there !!!

mtbr super member
    I missed this post. That looks incredible. Totally sick. Great job building it. Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post, but maybe list the component spec when you have a moment.
    Thanks man! Hereís a quick breakdown(all parts are 2018):

Fork: 140mm Lyrik
    Wheels: DT Swiss E1900
    Tires: DHR2 Front/Rear
    Cranks: 170mm RaceFace Aeffect
    Cassette: ethirteen TRS+ 9-46
    Shifter/Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    Seatpost: ethirteen TRS+ 150mm
    Brakes: Shimano SLX w/ 200mm rotor front & 180mm out back
    Handlebar: RaceFace Turbine 780mm
    Stem: RaceFace Turbine 50mm

That about sums it up for the most part. Iíve taken it out a few more times and itís such a fun bike!

As for your concerns around climbing and a jarring ride I can say that it climbs very well. But it is a hardtail and on bumpy trails youíll notice there isnít a rear shock! But you adapt as a rider and learn to flow with the trail as best you can. For me the Honzo will be used on more mellow trails and winter rides that arenít very fast because of the snow. Iíll still grab my 2018 YT Jeffsy 27 if I know Iíll be riding more gnarly trails.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-a863fc03-887f-478b-91fd-017a7478c54e.jpeg
    Last edited by Biffard; 12-29-2018 at 06:37 AM.

high pivot witchcraft
    ...It plays backup to my 2018 YT Jeffsy 27...]
    With time, that prioritization may change...I'm hoping it does for me!

Awesome component choices.

mtbr super member
    With time, that prioritization may change...I'm hoping it does for me!

Awesome component choices.
    Haha, I could definitely see my Big Honzo getting equal riding time as my Jeffsy in the summer!

One more pic then Iím done spamming this thread!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-0c8e1a63-e84b-4ad7-bb3b-d17943d321ad.jpeg

loud hubs save lives

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here

Keep posting. I love the army green.

My Big Honzo build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Putting the finishing touches on my 2019 Honzo ST frame-up build to complement my Process 165.

The final two pieces are the fork and stem.

Whatís everyoneís feeling on the perfect fork offset and stem length for a 130mm fork with a standard headset?

mtbr member
    Can I run the CC style 142x12 dropouts in the 2017 Honzo ST frame to reuse my old wheel set?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi all, I'm new to the thread and here is my new Honzo ST. I wasn't a fan of the new green colour so I tracked down a 2018 purple. The build escalated a bit when my friend offered me his fox 36s that he scratched for a good price, otherwise the build is a mix of old and new parts.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20181222_130657.jpg

Kona Honzo ST 2018 Large
    Fox 36 grip2 140mm 44mm offset
    Shimano XTR drivetrain/XT brakes
    RF turbine cranks
    Oneup 170mm dropper post
    Mavic 827 rims laced to hope pro4

Really enjoying being on a HT so far, my local trails are a notch down on the gnar factor and it makes them a lot more fun compared to the dually. Quick question - where can I get one of the port covers for the dropper post cable? My frame came with a cover there but I need one that has the hole for the cable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Can I run the CC style 142x12 dropouts in the 2017 Honzo ST frame to reuse my old wheel set?
    I think the dropouts are the same throughout the model years and the frame spacing changed so if the 2017 frame is boost it will remain boost with the CC dropouts. I changed my ti from 142 to 135 QR to run a Rohloff but i'm sure boost is boost and the wheel will have to be re-spaced.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post

Kona Honzo ST 2018 Large
    RF turbine cranks
    Oneup 170mm dropper post

Really enjoying being on a HT so far, my local trails are a notch down on the gnar factor and it makes them a lot more fun compared to the dually. Quick question - where can I get one of the port covers for the dropper post cable? My frame came with a cover there but I need one that has the hole for the cable.
    Sweet build. I have plans to do something similar this spring. Looks super fun

You can source those grommets at your LBS. Salsa makes them, I'm sure there are others too.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Iím getting ready to order tires I will be running Azonic outlaw 29s and Iím questioning what size trail/AM tire will fit on the back, the bike is setup as a single speed and Iím looking at either a Maxxis Ardent or Maxxis High Roller for the rear and 99% swayed to a Minion DHF up front.
    Whatís everyone running for a rear tire width with Maxxis will a 2.50 clear on a 2016 Honzo ST rear ??

high pivot witchcraft
    Iím getting ready to order tires I will be running Azonic outlaw 29s and Iím questioning what size trail/AM tire will fit on the back, the bike is setup as a single speed and Iím looking at either a Maxxis Ardent or Maxxis High Roller for the rear and 99% swayed to a Minion DHF up front.
    Whatís everyone running for a rear tire width with Maxxis will a 2.50 clear on a 2016 Honzo ST rear ??
    2.5 Maxxis Aggressor EXO DC fits on my 2018
    Honzo ST (30th) with no issue. Not sure about the 2016.

I may be going to the LBS later today or tomorrow. If so, I will take pics of the clearance.

Still waiting for the 2.5 DHF to arrive (as well as new rim decals, a 36 tooth star ratchet upgrade, and a few bling parts). Should finally be done soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Awesome that would be swell if you could ! Post pics of the new bling too !!
    TY !

high pivot witchcraft
    Awesome that would be swell if you could ! Post pics of the new bling too !!
    TY !
    No problem. My pleasure.

That said, perhaps some of the real Honzo experts on here can chime in on any differences in clearance between the 2016 frame, and more recent ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    No problem. My pleasure.

That said, perhaps some of the real Honzo experts on here can chime in on any differences in clearance between the 2016 frame, and more recent ones.

Iím new to the Honzo science so Iím learning as I go. Iíll just keep reading all the great posts and absorb the knowledge !!

high pivot witchcraft
    Iím new to the Honzo science so Iím learning as I go. Iíll just keep reading all the great posts and absorb the knowledge !!
    I believe RideEverything rode 2.5 DHFs front and rear on his OG Honzo ST before he cracked his frame, so there shouldnít be any issues for you. I had understood pretty much anything Maxxis up to a 2.6 will fit.

Bnerd
    I believe RideEverything rode 2.5 DHFs front and rear on his OG Honzo ST before he cracked his frame, so there shouldnít be any issues for you. I had understood pretty much anything Maxxis up to a 2.6 will fit.
    I did try out a 2.5 WT DHF on the rear of my OG Honzo but the only time it didn't rub the the CS was when going in a straight line! I had the dropouts fully pulled out to their longest as well. There's no way the 2.5 would have worked if the dropouts were all the way in.

Here's a list of all the tires I've run that worked with no issues on the rear of my 2012 Honzo over the years.
    - Ardent 2.4
    - Hans Dampf 2.3 v.1
    - Nobby Nic 2.3
    - WTB Trail Boss 2.3 v.1
    - E13 TRS+ 2.3

All those tires are large-ish volume and fit well in the frame. The stand out was the E13 tire. Good overall grip but even better grip when cornering.
    The worst one was the Ardent. If you enjoy absolutely no traction in even a hint of wet then the Ardent is your tire! lol!

high pivot witchcraft
    I did try out a 2.5 WT DHF on the rear of my OG Honzo but the only time it didn't rub the the CS was when going in a straight line! I had the dropouts fully pulled out to their longest as well. There's no way the 2.5 would have worked if the dropouts were all the way in.

Here's a list of all the tires I've run that worked with no issues on the rear of my 2012 Honzo over the years.
    - Ardent 2.4
    - Hans Dampf 2.3 v.1
    - Nobby Nic 2.3
    - WTB Trail Boss 2.3 v.1
    - E13 TRS+ 2.3

All those tires are large-ish volume and fit well in the frame. The stand out was the E13 tire. Good overall grip but even better grip when cornering.
    The worst one was the Ardent. If you enjoy absolutely no traction in even a hint of wet then the Ardent is your tire! lol!
    Thanks for chiming in RE. I guess the question then becomes whether the spacing on the 2016 ST frame is less than the 2018/2019.

mtbr member
    Thanks for chiming in RE. I guess the question then becomes whether the spacing on the 2016 ST frame is less than the 2018/2019.
    It might be a little less due to boost starting in 2017 vs nonboost of 2015-16. However both frames have the redesigned yoke vs the 2012-14. There is not much width for tire clearance in the old design. I fit a 2.4 Ardent, but could not clear anything bigger in my 2013 frame. BIGFATUGLY has pics in here of 2.5 DHFs in a 2016 without issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    It might be a little less due to boost starting in 2017 vs nonboost of 2015-16. However both frames have the redesigned yoke vs the 2012-14. There is not much width for tire clearance in the old design. I fit a 2.4 Ardent, but could not clear anything bigger in my 2013 frame. BIGFATUGLY has pics in here of 2.5 DHFs in a 2016 without issue.
    Ok cool Iíll take a look, thanks for pitching in !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Keep posting. I love the army green.

My Big Honzo build.

]
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach Morris View Post
    Putting the finishing touches on my 2019 Honzo ST frame-up build to complement my Process 165.

The final two pieces are the fork and stem.

Whatís everyoneís feeling on the perfect fork offset and stem length for a 130mm fork with a standard headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by Creg View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to the thread and here is my new Honzo ST. I wasn't a fan of the new green colour so I tracked down a 2018 purple. The build escalated a bit when my friend offered me his fox 36s that he scratched for a good price, otherwise the build is a mix of old and new parts.

Kona Honzo ST 2018 Large
    RF turbine cranks
    Oneup 170mm dropper post

Can you guys post weights and sizes by chance?

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    I thought you instantly went to hell if you weighed your Honzo. Especially your steel Honzo. Is that not the case?

mtbr member
    I thought you instantly went to hell if you weighed your Honzo. Especially your steel Honzo. Is that not the case?
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wanna ride bikes?
    Why? If the geometry is right, and it's got the components you want, it weighs what it weighs.

If your looking for a rad, super fun hardtail trail bike you won't be disappointed. If your looking for an XC race weapon I suggest you look for something other than the ST.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8604%5B1%5D.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8602%5B1%5D.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8600%5B1%5D.jpg

Finally got my drive train dialed in (I think!), I bought the frame with these Race Face cranks and Race Face 32T Front Sprocket, I added The Sram 3/32 chain, Origin 8 single speed spacer kit and 20T steel rear Cog. So final drive on gears will be 32/20 or 1.60. I love the Wellgo B219 platforms, I have a set on my FS and they are great pedals for 49.99 ! Sealed bearings, Chromoly spindles, CNC Machined and hardcoated and all metal plugs etc. Not sure on weight of the pedals as I really dont care this is a All mountain trail build so whatever it is it is ........
    I would have started with Aluminum or Carbon if weight was going to be taken into consideration.

Shimano ZEE brake set is in the mail and 203mm Rotors will be orderd this week.

Just need to finalze tire selection and shell be out ripping up the trail.

May add a dropper when spare $ allows !

mtbr member
    There's one way to find out...

Why? If the geometry is right, and it's got the components you want, it weighs what it weighs.

If your looking for a rad, super fun hardtail trail bike you won't be disappointed. If your looking for an XC race weapon I suggest you look for something other than the ST.
    Because typically most weights are for smaller sizes (small or medium sized frames) so it would be helpful to know especially for an XL.

I'm just asking because I would like it to be lighter than my FS XXL bike ideally not turn this into a weight weenie debate.

I've never owned a Steel bike, so I'm curious.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Weighing bikes only leads to disappointment. You'll arrive at some arbitrary number and you'll convince yourself one way or another if it's possible to have fun on a bike that weighs XX lbs.

The steel Honzo in XL weighs 7+ lbs if you must know. It's not light, but it is awesome. Don't expect a trail oriented, $550, steel hardtail with sliding dropouts in XL to be light. It won't be. Honestly the Honzo ST makes my Surly Krampus frame look feathery light at a bit over 6 lbs. Get the picture?

Like I said, if you're concerned about weight look elsewhere.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I showed up at a group ride with my park scale. Just about everyone was disappointed. Especially the Santa Cruz owners.

high pivot witchcraft
    I know what mine is going to weigh (only because the LBS guys seem to be obsessed with that and keep weighing it and telling me). Suffice it to say that even sporting a carbon wheel set, carbon bar and other goodies, it will still end up weighing slightly more than my 140/130 29er with Minions.

Whatever.

I used to believe that weight was a big deal. I still kinda do, but I have also learned that within reason, nice bikes do not have to be lightweight in order to ride sweet AF.

At this particular moment, I give exactly zero fks how much my Honzo ends up weighing.

Bnerd
    I've never properly weighed either of my Honzos. Both were/are XL.
    I've always ridden the biggest frame size I can get and then built them burly because even riding XC I would break stuff because of my size.

My 2012 was a tank! If I were to guess my 2012 probably came in somewhere around 17kg (37.5lbs). It was noticeably heavier than my FS bike which is somewhere around 15kg (34lbs). Although, the rear wheel on my 2012 Honzo was really heavy because it was a burly build. I had it built back when 29er wheels sucked for strength.

My 2018 Honzo is noticeably lighter frame to frame than my 2012. It also has almost the same build as my 2012. The biggest difference is the wheelset. It's a much lighter wheelset so that goes a long way to reducing the overall weight.
    Again I'm guessing but I'd say my new Honzo is somewhere in the low teens (30s). It actually feels lighter than my FS now.

Sorry I don't have actual proper weights. I'm interested in how much my bikes weigh just out of curiosity but I've never chased lower weights because anything that I've had over the years that's been learning to the weight weenie side of things have generally failed me.

loud hubs save lives
    My Big Honzo medium is 29lbs 4oz with 1100gr plus tires

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bead blasted the frame, scrubbed it down with a red Scotchbrite pad and let it soak in Pledge for a few hours. Now THAT us how titanium is supposed to look.

Large Ti Honzo set up single speed
    Fox 36 160 with Fit4 damper
    Carbon Roval wheelset - 30mm inner width
    DHF front/Grid Purgatory rear
    Command dropper post
    XO cranks
    XT pedals
    Easton 40mm stem
    Raceface carbon bar at 760mm wide
    Chris King headset
    XT brakes
    NorthShore grips
    Absolute Black chainring (32/20 gearing)

Now the hard part. Tucking it away till next summer while I recover from back surgery. And so I won't be tempted to ride I'm not putting on a chain till I'm ready.

Attachment 1230283
    Attachment 1230284
    What are the two extra bolt for on the upper section of the down tube?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    They are for dropper post cable routing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooledup View Post
    They are for dropper post cable routing.
    Seems like something is missing or is the intention to zip tie the dropper cable to the bolt itself?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    It's missing the P clip or similar type for cable routing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooledup View Post
    It's missing the P clip or similar type for cable routing.
    Ahh yes of course...

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-d82fb4dd-6122-4d11-83ed-444a195d4c84.jpg
    Pic showing paragon machine cable stops.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-aa024e8d-811f-4a5f-910d-092171370a5a.jpg
    Serviced the battle ship, and added a MRP ramp controller, and larger rotors. I hope the dirt drys out soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Ripping it hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Millrtme View Post
    I built a 2017 ST, medium frame, 27.5+. Here are the specs:
    Fox 34 Performance Fork 140mm
    Sram Guide RS Carbon Brakes
    Kona Stem and Bar
    Kona Saddle
    Integra Dropper Post
    Novatec Hubs with WTB i29 Rims
    Maxxis Rekon 2.8's

In this config the bike rips, the 140mm is great, but I am considering upgrading to a 36 with maybe 150 or 160mm of travel. I also have a new wheelset, DT Swiss 370 Hubs with AR40 rims and Maxxis Chronicle 3.0 tires. We will see if the 3.0's fit in the rear. I hope to have some good photos in the next week or so. It has been built for several months and I have logged some good time, but it is up in the workshop now during the cold months so I can tinker.

-Andrew
    Hi Andrew, I actually had the same idea!!
    Just bought the ST frame in XL, I have a "spare" Fox 36 Factory in 160/27.5 . Will mount a 2.6" tire on 35mm.
    I'm only wondering if I use a 29er in the back. That would be rather outrageous.

mtbr member
    Anyone ever tried a 29 2.6 up front and 27.5 2.8 out back? Always wanted to try this config.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

2017 ST Build complete

Hi All, long time reader, first time poster.

Just thought I would post a few picks of my build now it is complete and broken-in. Details are:

Frame - Honzo ST 2017 (med)
    Fork - Manitou Mattoc Pro (130mm)
    Wheelset - Spank oozy 345
    Headset - Hope
    Post - Bike Yoke Revive (160mm)
    BB - Shimano XT M8000
    Crankset - Shimano SLX M7000 (170mm)
    Rear deraileur - Shimano XT M8000 (+ goat link 11... don't ask)
    Cassette - Shimano XT M8000 (with OneUp 47t expander)
    Rotors - Shimano XT rt86 (180 F & R)
    Brakes - Shimano SLX M7000
    Chainring - OneUp 32T traction
    Chainguide - OneUp BB mount
    Chain - YBN 11sp
    Pedals - OneUp composite
    Stem - Deity Copperhead (50mm)
    Bars - Deity Skyline 787
    Grips - Deity Knuckleduster
    Saddle - Fabric scoop radius
    Rear tyre - Maxxis aggressor EXO/TR WT 2.5 (w/ huck norris insert)
    Front tyre - Maxxis DHF EXO/TR WT 2.5
    Post clamp - Hope nqr

We've been getting on well together, not missing the rear squish as yet (coming off an older 26inch), likes to go fast!

Thanks to all who has posted here. It has been a valuable resource for the (extended) build process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-overview.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-cockpit_front.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-cockpit_back.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-drivetrain.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fork_detail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice Honzo.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    Very nice Honzo.
    It's almost like he consulted with you on the build. Dropper, drivetrain, brakes. Even the grips! And lots of OneUp goodies.

Agreed though. Very very nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone ever cut the seat tube of 2017-2019 Honzo ST? Might be an issue w that support plate. As someone w XL torso but MED legs was looking at this frame for next build and contemplating cutting L 0.5-1Ē or XL 1.5-2Ē.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    Anyone ever cut the seat tube of 2017-2019 Honzo ST?
    Gaaak!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    Anyone ever cut the seat tube of 2017-2019 Honzo ST? Might be an issue w that support plate. As someone w XL torso but MED legs was looking at this frame for next build and contemplating cutting L 0.5-1Ē or XL 1.5-2Ē.
    If it's a used frame and there is enough seat tube left above the weld, go for it. On a new frame this will void the warranty.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Would this BB work with a 2017 Honzo AL DL?? Looking to upgrade or suggestion on a good BB! TIA

https://www.hopetech.com/product/press-fit/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashe-villian View Post
    Would this BB work with a 2017 Honzo AL DL?? Looking to upgrade or suggestion on a good BB! TIA

https://www.hopetech.com/product/press-fit/
    Yes, Hope produces great bottom brackets. I'm not sure what crankset you're using, but here's one that I use. They are spendy, but spin forever.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...ant=9864646403

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Yes, Hope produces great bottom brackets. I'm not sure what crankset you're using, but here's one that I use. They are spendy, but spin forever.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...ant=9864646403
    I have a Raceface Affect crank! Just want to make sure this fits before buying.

high pivot witchcraft
    99% done...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_9d.jpg

Yet to do:

Install the better matching (darker orange) rim decals just received.

Install the 36 tooth star ratchet in the DT350 hub, also just received.

Install the Kona WahWah 2 composite pedals:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-wahwah-pp-3263-970x647.jpg

Install the Ergon GD-1 Factory grips:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_9e.jpeg

Add the Zee Cage with Tool:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_9a.jpg

Add the Dakine Gripper bag:

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-hotlapsgripper-black-full-open.jpg

mtbr member
    99% done...
    Whoa that looks absolutely gorgeous. Very much worth the wait I'm sure! Congrats Mike, that's a real dream build.

high pivot witchcraft
    Whoa that looks absolutely gorgeous. Very much worth the wait I'm sure! Congrats Mike, that's a real dream build.
    Thanks tons. Apart from the fork and the dropper, it's a pretty sensible build. XT drivetrain. XT (4 pot) brakes, etc.

It's not the most expensive bike in the fleet, but I am starting to think it's the coolest. And, most importantly, it's all ready for some packless fun.

mtbr member
    I too like the look of the color matched stickers. Nice build, I feel bad for your other bikes.

high pivot witchcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDFATUGLY View Post
    I too like the look of the color matched stickers. Nice build, I feel bad for your other bikes.
    Thank you.

As for my other bikes, I checked first. They are all totally cool with it. The Honzo will be their new baby brother

As an aside, I broke the first rule in Fight Club tonight and weighed my Honzo

Let's just say that these bikes are probably best left unweighed...

The wheels, however, are reasonable in terms of weight (well, apart from the rubber, that I am not prepared to skimp on). I'm hoping the wheels add a little zip.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_9f.jpg

mtbr member
    Beautiful!! Let me know how that gripper bag works for you - I had mine attached on the seat tube by the BB and it liked to move to the side and rub my cranks.

high pivot witchcraft
    Beautiful!! Let me know how that gripper bag works for you - I had mine attached on the seat tube by the BB and it liked to move to the side and rub my cranks.
    Thanks tons.

I was going to strap the Gripper Bag to the seat rails, using the strap thatís on it plus an additional strap. Weíll see. My Gripper Bag is still en route.

If it doesnít work, I will swap the seat out for a Specialized Power saddle, and throw a Bandit on it.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-specialized.jpg

I need to be careful how much I taint this bike with parts from the Big S. There comes a point when karma becomes a real issue...

mtbr member
    Thanks tons.

I was going to strap the Gripper Bag to the seat rails, using the strap thatís on it plus an additional strap. Weíll see. My Gripper Bag is still en route.

If it doesnít work, I will swap the seat out for a Specialized Power saddle, and throw a Bandit on it.

Name:	Specialized.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	1235045

Views:	44 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	1235046

Views:	48 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	1235047

I need to be careful how much I taint this bike with parts from the Big S. There comes a point when karma becomes a real issue...
    Had a 155mm power comp saddle on my honzo and private jake and cant say enough good about them. Saddles are the one and only thing ill buy from specialized.
    greener pastures

Bnerd

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9f.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	1235011
    That is a nice looking build!!
    I really like how the orange pops!

I am so jealous of that frame colour.

Do you have your own photo booth for your bikes!? I'm such a nerd that if I had the room I'd have one too!!

mtbr member
    99% done...
    I love this bike!
    Formerly Travis Bickle

high pivot witchcraft
    I love this bike!
    Thanks TB. Your views mean a lot to me and others.

I was worried about differing shades of the accent colour, which you have brought up before. Unfortunately, not all the orange on the bike is identical, but I did my best.

Glad you like it so far.

high pivot witchcraft
    That is a nice looking build!!
    I really like how the orange pops!

I am so jealous of that frame colour.

Do you have your own photo booth for your bikes!? I'm such a nerd that if I had the room I'd have one too!!
    Thanks RE. That means a lot to me. Much appreciated.

As for the booth, my LBS has a cool 6 cube display area for Norcos (with the Aurum HSP being the feature bike). We unloaded the Aurum from one of the cubes and stuck my Honzo in there. Lol.

*sidenote - the cube display thing was designed by the former co-inventor of the VPP suspension linkage design, who is a local and a friend of mine.

high pivot witchcraft
    Had a 155mm power comp saddle on my honzo and private jake and cant say enough good about them. Saddles are the one and only thing ill buy from specialized.
    ATXZJ - thanks for chiming in!!!

I have a Power Comp on my Norco Sight and love it. I also have a Phenom Pro on my Paddy Wagon, and love it too.

And yeah - gotta be careful with how much S shit you load up on your bike. At some point, karma takes over.

I do like their saddles, SWAT shit, floor pumps and shoes though...

And wallets. I am trying to track one down.

high pivot witchcraft
    Man, I think I seriously need an intervention...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-fullsizeoutput_a0.jpg

mtbr member
    Man! I like your style - you should go ahead and get those $80 revolution ďsuspensionĒ grips and let us know how they are!

mtbr super member
    My Big Honzo in action this morning. This bike continues to surprise me with how well it rides even in rough terrain.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-1ea14507-429f-467c-90bb-7abef0f3bd40.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-40cb0980-e423-4201-9845-1b29b5e3dab9.jpg

high pivot witchcraft
    My Big Honzo in action this morning. This bike continues to surprise me with how well it rides even in rough terrain.

Name:	1EA14507-429F-467C-90BB-7ABEF0F3BD40.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	1235186

Name:	40CB0980-E423-4201-9845-1B29B5E3DAB9.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	1235187
    Nice bike. Nice pics

Hopefully my non-Big Honzo performs as well as yours. Can't wait to find out!

mtbr super member
    Thanks man! Judging by your pics and build Iím betting it will perform like a champ! Thatís one of the coolest honzo builds Iíve ever seen!

Canít wait to see some pics of it in action!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Name:	1EA14507-429F-467C-90BB-7ABEF0F3BD40.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	1235186

Name:	40CB0980-E423-4201-9845-1B29B5E3DAB9.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	330.3 KB 
ID:	1235187
    What dropper post are you using??