Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here - Page 20- Mtbr.com
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 4,000 of 5985
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    28.4 lbs. as per my bathroom scale. And yes, this is in Amelia. Although my main stomping ground is Virginia Key.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Posted on here before... Looking for some recommendations on my original 2012 Honzo. Looking to replace entire drive-train and wheels/rims. Trying to keep weight to a minimum. I know the rear wheel is currently not a through-axel, so I'm hoping someone can help me understand what is possible as far as a new wheel. Is there any maxle conversions? Regarding drivetrain, any suggestions for a groupset? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fssmikey View Post
    I put this together back in August, sharing with you guys now.

Attachment 1113181l

waiting on delivery for some Spank Oozy Trail 395+ 29er wheels, going with the same 2.4s but with the sweet looking gum walls.
    I'm running oozy 395+ with 2.4" Ardents. Personally I wouldn't run gum walls, the EXO sidewall is a must.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've finished my 16 build ST last week. Medium weighs in at 28.8lbs (13.1kgs)

Slightly different build than in the pic.

2016 Medium ST
    Fox 34 Factory (currently 120 but will try 140mm)
    Enve RSR
    KS Lev Integra 125mm
    Oozy 395+ on Hope Pro 4
    M8000 XT brakes with Hope floating rotors
    Ardent 2.4 TR EXO
    Shimano XTR M9020 cranks with 32t ring
    X1 Drivetrain

the air is thin up here..
    Quote Originally Posted by dzilla View Post
    Posted on here before... Looking for some recommendations on my original 2012 Honzo. Looking to replace entire drive-train and wheels/rims. Trying to keep weight to a minimum. I know the rear wheel is currently not a through-axel, so I'm hoping someone can help me understand what is possible as far as a new wheel. Is there any maxle conversions? Regarding drivetrain, any suggestions for a groupset? Thanks in advance.
    All (ST or Ti) Honzo dropouts are interchangeable, so if you want to go 12x142mm it's just a matter of buying new sliders:

Hangers & Dropouts: Dropout CC-142 | KONA PARTS
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffCamber View Post
    Can you tell me what this weighs. Considering a small ST but trying to keep the weight down. Nice shoot. Amelia correct.
    Are you less than 5'8"? Otherwise I wouldn't consider a size smaller than a medium. The only way to get past the weight of a Honzo is to not choose the steel version. The Honzo st still climbs well enough for such a heavy frame. Cardio and hip drive help push the climbs. I do a lot riding, up or down, standing. My medium 2016 st frame weighs in at 6 lbs 14 oz with everything included. It is about 31 lbs without a dropper and nearly 32 lbs with one. My small 2013 frame is 6 lbs 12 oz. After having two Honzos, they really don't allow for a light bike but they ride in an indestructible manner on the downs. Personally if I could get a hold of any model year of the frame it would be 2015 because it has ISCG05 tabs and all the same improvements on the 2016. The 2016 is longer is reach, top tube and wheel base but shorter in stack. The best advice I can offer is get the right sized Honzo from the get go and don't worry about the final weight if you are building a steel version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noot View Post
    All (ST or Ti) Honzo dropouts are interchangeable, so if you want to go 12x142mm it's just a matter of buying new sliders:

Hangers & Dropouts: Dropout CC-142 | KONA PARTS
    Both sides, $30 each and the Maxle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JTmofo View Post
    I'm running oozy 395+ with 2.4" Ardents. Personally I wouldn't run gum walls, the EXO sidewall is a must.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    thanks for the heads up, im on the non EXO 2.4s now, so far i havent had any issues. hopefully my luck stays the same with the new tires. if not, ill be sure to get the EXOs on my second set.

although, the Nobby Nics at 2.6 look pretty good, i dont know if they would fit, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    What fork did you use a 29+ fox 34? or just a regular 29 fox 34
    A bit late responding - I have a boost Fox 34 that has lots of clearance for 29 x 3. But I also have a regular 2016 Fox 34 that clears a 29 x 3, so the boost isn't necessary.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sweet, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Folks,

Looks like I went and joined the team. Large 2016 Honzo was still available so I'm gonna transfer all the bits off my olde tyme non-boost Rootdown. The rootdown is a great bike, but I like the low centre of gravity this frame offers as well as stubby chainstays. I probably should have just ordered this after my old UNIT, but the Chromag has a bit more panache, regardless of how it performs.

So do you guys get many pedal strikes with smaller wheels & bigger tires? Should I just keep my fork at 140?

Pumped to join the crew.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    So do you guys get many pedal strikes with smaller wheels & bigger tires? Should I just keep my fork at 140?

Pumped to join the crew.
    i get the occasional pedal strikes with a 140mm rev and 29x2.4 tires on some of my local trails. not all trails are the same though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Kona told me they recommend 120mm forks. Think the warranty will be void with a 140? Sorry if this has all be discussed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you're getting the steel, I doubt you'll need that warranty...
    But I don't think 140 would void it -- check w Kona if necessary.
    I wouldn't drop mine from 140 in any case. A 34 or Pike at 140 is glorious, up and down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, 2016 ST frame, Large. I'm currently running a 140 Pike, which works well for me, but maybe running it at 130 would keep things a little more sprightly, or maybe not. My trails aren't that rough but have lots of things to jump off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Folks,

Looks like I went and joined the team. Large 2016 Honzo was still available so I'm gonna transfer all the bits off my olde tyme non-boost Rootdown. The rootdown is a great bike, but I like the low centre of gravity this frame offers as well as stubby chainstays. I probably should have just ordered this after my old UNIT, but the Chromag has a bit more panache, regardless of how it performs.

Pumped to join the crew.
    Where do you find Honzo ST 2016 Large? Could you please give me a link?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ok so I think I've figured out a good drive train replacement. One question is if anybody knows if there is a threaded BB to pressfit conversion of sorts? I can buy some good carbon PF cranks from a friend, but the bottom bracket on my 2012 honzo is threaded. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Ok so I think I've figured out a good drive train replacement. One question is if anybody knows if there is a threaded BB to pressfit conversion of sorts? I can buy some good carbon PF cranks from a friend, but the bottom bracket on my 2012 honzo is threaded. Any ideas?
    I think you have things mixed up a little here. What carbon cranks are they? A threaded Bottom bracket Works with any cranks. You just have to get the correct bottom bracket. Some cranks are 24mm spindle some are 30mm. Shimano is different than SRAM. Give me more info and maybe I can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhand80 View Post
    I think you have things mixed up a little here. What carbon cranks are they? A threaded Bottom bracket Works with any cranks. You just have to get the correct bottom bracket. Some cranks are 24mm spindle some are 30mm. Shimano is different than SRAM. Give me more info and maybe I can help

Sure. And yes, I probably most definitely have things mixed up. Not a bike parts expert by any means. Here is the crankset I can buy from my friend:

Crankset Custom SRAM S-2200, carbon, PF30 spindle, 30T, 94mm BCD spider

mtbr member
    Sure. And yes, I probably most definitely have things mixed up. Not a bike parts expert by any means. Here is the crankset I can buy from my friend:

Crankset Custom SRAM S-2200, carbon, PF30 spindle, 30T, 94mm BCD spider
    So you weren't totally wrong. With those cranks having a PF30 spindle that means they are a lower Q factor and the spindle would not be long enough to use with a threaded BSA BB because the bearings are external. I don't know if any conversion BSA To PF. I would look for a different crankset.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Awesome, thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If I bought a new 2017 honzo st to replace my 2014 honzo frame, can I put the dropouts from my 2014 so that I can keep my 12x142 wheel?

Jan 2017

2017 Honzo St 27.5+

Hello friends.

New the forum. New to the Honzo.

Went with the 2017 steel frame (148mm boost rear). My grand plan is to have two wheelsets: 27.5+ & 29. I'm starting with the 27.5+, mostly because that size is new for me.

Most of the drivetrain & tires are in the mail, but the bare bones are built up:

Frame: 2017 Honzo St, Large
    Fork: 2016 Rockshox Yari RC, 150mm, boost 100mm
    Headset: Cane Creek 40, zs56 (bottom) / zs44 (top)
    Rims: Syncros TR 2.0, i35
    Hubs: DT 350 (rear), Syncros (front, DT made w/ star ratchet)
    Tires: Maxxis High Roller II 2.8 (front), Maxxis Rekon 2.8 (rear)
    Brakes: Magura MT2 (they were a gift...)
    Rotors: Shimano centerlock 180 front, 160 rear
    Cranks: SRAM X1, 32T X'Sync chainring
    Derailleur/Shifter/Chain: Shimano M8000
    Cassette: Sunrace 11-46T
    Stem: Race Face Chester 40mm length, 35mm clamp
    Bars: Race Face Atlas 800mm length, 35mm clamp, color: Kash Money (not shown yet), I'll probably cut these by 1cm
    Grips: Race Face Half Nelson, color: orange
    Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy 2, color: orange
    Saddle: Chromag Trailmaster (brown leather)

...needless to say, I'm very excited. I've read the various thoughts on fork travel. I have intentions of lowering the Yari to 140mm. I tend to seek out semi-steep trails, although I have intentions of racing this as an XC bike a few times, which makes me think I should drop it to 130mm maybe?

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0299.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by q232 View Post
    Where do you find Honzo ST 2016 Large? Could you please give me a link?
    Hey,

I emailed my shop about one and they claimed the "factory" had one 2016 large left. I was attempting a 2017 which the site alludes to being 142 compatible with their "modular dropout system" but the factory told my LBS the 2017 was boost only.

Hate all these stupid standards. Every company should just make their bikes with rear dropouts that can accept all. Charge us the extra 50 bucks!

mtbr member
    What brake adapter is needed for the 2017st? Why wouldn't they include it with the frame?

mtbr member
    It is normally included in brake sets. Frames are often IS mount for a brake caliper. You need a Post Mount adapter for whichever brake brand and size of rotor you plan to run.
    Last edited by beer_coffee_water; 01-08-2017 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Good ride today, perfect weather. its nice to have some trails built right next to a beach.

the gumwalls preformed flawlessly.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9422.jpg

I'm really digging this bike.

Good ride today, perfect weather. its nice to have some trails built right next to a beach.

the gumwalls preformed flawlessly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9422.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	1114560

I'm really digging this bike.
    Cool Honzo! More pics please, I like the tires.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Here's another one.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9411.jpg

I'm not much for aesthetics, but I'm thinking of swapping out the saddle for a brown leather one. It'll really bring the bike together.

mtbr member
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

Jan 2017
    First day out on the trails with the 27.5+ build. Felt amazing. Not as draggy as I thought it would be. I felt like I was able to create my own berms on flat corners. So much fun!
    Tires: Maxxis High Roller II 2.8 Front, Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Rear

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0313.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas12seanc View Post
    First day out on the trails with the 27.5+ build. Felt amazing. Not as draggy as I thought it would be. I felt like I was able to create my own berms on flat corners. So much fun!
    Tires: Maxxis High Roller II 2.8 Front, Maxxis Rekon 2.8 Rear

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG 
Views:	281 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	1115088
    Looks amazing! I like the colour on those rims.

2016 or 17?

How did you find the BB height?

I just popped by the shop to look at my frame and it's nicer than I anticipated. Pumped to get it all built up, but it's gonna be a while, plus conditions here won't be good for months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry, looked back and answered my question on the year.

Jan 2017
    2017 Frame

After reading the concerns folks have said on this forum about BB height with the 27.5+ setup on the Honzo, I was trying to pay attention to that during the ride. The trail network I was in (Saint Edward State Park / Big Finn Park, Kenmore, WA) is quite rooty, with plenty of opportunities to whack pedals. I didn't hit anything, nor did I find I was trying to avoid the roots.

My other bike is a 2015 Santa Cruz Bronson. My Honzo's BB is 1/2 inch lower than the Bronson.

Rudy Project Eyewear
    Kona Big Honzo--- In the middle of a build. Kona specs the BH with a 120mm RS Yari. I have a new 140mm Fox 34. How will this affect the geometry/ride (besides slacking out the front end like a half degree?

Should I return my 140 for a 120mm?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFalcetti View Post
    Kona Big Honzo--- In the middle of a build. Kona specs the BH with a 120mm RS Yari. I have a new 140mm Fox 34. How will this affect the geometry/ride (besides slacking out the front end like a half degree?

Should I return my 140 for a 120mm?
    This calculator will answer all your questions: geometryCalc
    Just use the a2c of the forks you are comparing.

I like 140mm on my Honzo for all my riding.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beer_coffee_water View Post
    This calculator will answer all your questions: geometryCalc
    Just use the a2c of the forks you are comparing.

I like 140mm on my Honzo for all my riding.
    Reach and stack appear to be off with that calculator.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SyT View Post
    Reach and stack appear to be off with that calculator.
    Yes, you have to turn off the estimated numbers and input the actual.

SyT
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes, you have to turn off the estimated numbers and input the actual.
    Ah, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just ordered a leather chromag saddle (second one!) cause it looks so good with the ST raw steel. Gonna pair it with some natural gum easton grips again, cause they go quite well together. That & my raw alu Atlas cranks are look look sweet and be almost immune to visible wear! Pumped.

mtbr member
    Threw this together
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1154.jpg  

mtbr member
    Threw this together
    Looks really good! I am not sure if you want to get rid of the zip ties for the dropper routing. If so, look into these.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Threw this together
    How are the grips? I'm thinking of swapping out my Oury slip ons for a set of lock ons

mtbr member
    Threw this together
    Great color combo, aaron. Looks mint!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just scored a 2017 Honzo ST. Questions:

- can I use a non boosted, 73mm bb and crank?
    - anyone using a 30.9 dropper with a shim to 31.6?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I just scored a 2017 Honzo ST. Questions:

- can I use a non boosted, 73mm bb and crank?
    - anyone using a 30.9 dropper with a shim to 31.6?
    EDIT: this only applies to the AL frame

as i understand it, it's a PF92 bb, not threaded. you could probably get away without it being boost spaced, but your chainline might be off a bit

the seatpost diameter is actually 34.9, with a shim included to change it down to 31.6. I'm planning on using a 30.9mm dropper as well, but i need to figure out how long the OEM shim is in order to buy the correct length of 30.9->34.9 shim. if you find out, please post here
    Last edited by xeren; 01-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    The 2017 ST frame has a standard 73mm threaded bb. I'm using an SRAM X0 1x crankset, uncorrected for boost with no problems shifting. The seatpost diameter is 31.6, the 34.9 is the size for the clamp. I'm using a31.6 dropper but wouldn't have a problem using a30.9 with a shim

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Myers005 View Post
    The 2017 ST frame has a standard 73mm threaded bb. I'm using an SRAM X0 1x crankset, uncorrected for boost with no problems shifting. The seatpost diameter is 31.6, the 34.9 is the size for the clamp. I'm using a31.6 dropper but wouldn't have a problem using a30.9 with a shim
    wow, the steel version is pretty different from the AL version. my apologies for the misinformation. i would still go with a boost spaced crank if buying a new crankset, but you can definitely get away with standard spacing

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a 142 rear wheel that I want to use to start on the 2017 steel Honzo with boost spacing. It's a DT centerlock rear hub, and I haven't found any great solutions so far to convert center lock rear hubs from 142 to 148.

I don't have the frame yet, but I had a thought. Could I fit 3mm spacers between the sliders and the frame to effectively make it a 142 rear end? Or, if I put the 3mm spacers between the frame and the hub axles, would it be better/worse to shim the disk brake mount adapter with 3mm between the mounting adapter and the slider?

Eventually I'll get a proper boost wheel, but I'm trying to make use of the nice 29er wheels that I've got for now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have a 142 rear wheel that I want to use to start on the 2017 steel Honzo with boost spacing. It's a DT centerlock rear hub, and I haven't found any great solutions so far to convert center lock rear hubs from 142 to 148.

I don't have the frame yet, but I had a thought. Could I fit 3mm spacers between the sliders and the frame to effectively make it a 142 rear end? Or, if I put the 3mm spacers between the frame and the hub axles, would it be better/worse to shim the disk brake mount adapter with 3mm between the mounting adapter and the slider?

Eventually I'll get a proper boost wheel, but I'm trying to make use of the nice 29er wheels that I've got for now.
    Depending on which DT hub it is, this could work:

Boostinator ? wolftoothcomponents.com

mtbr member
    unfortunately the "Boostinator" doesn't work with centerlock hubs. This adapter from mtbtools on eBay should work though (the one for $21.95, not the cheap Chinese copy)

MTB Tools Adapter Set For a 12mm x 142mm Rear Hub to 148mm Boost Application | eBay

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    unfortunately the "Boostinator" doesn't work with centerlock hubs. This adapter from mtbtools on eBay should work though (the one for $21.95, not the cheap Chinese copy)

MTB Tools Adapter Set For a 12mm x 142mm Rear Hub to 148mm Boost Application | eBay
    How would this work? I don't have a way to space the center lock rotor over by 3mm. I agree that the 3mm spacers are what I need for either side of the dropout, but I'm still not able to space the center lock rotor over.

I'm thinking my best option is to space the disc caliper 3mm in from the dropout with spacers between the IS mount and the dropout, but I'm wondering if braking might be compromised...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You can get a Problemsolver centerlock-to-6bolt adapter, then use a boostinator or similar conversion.
    Or just go ahead an grab a boost hub...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bisicklay View Post
    You can get a Problemsolver centerlock-to-6bolt adapter, then use a boostinator or similar conversion.
    Or just go ahead an grab a boost hub...
    The centerlock to 6 bolt adapters just pinch a 6 bolt rotor onto the centerlock and do not allow for spacing of the 6 bolt rotor back towards the caliper by 3mm because the threaded piece which keeps the adapter in place still needs to catch threads and the 6 bolt rotor.

I'll follow up once I have the frame and have put together a solution.

Nor­wegr
    Pretty sure I'm going to drop my pike to 120 or 130 and get shorter cranks. Moving the Next Sls to the fatbike and getting 165mm Atlas cranks

Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    the seatpost diameter is actually 34.9, with a shim included to change it down to 31.6. I'm planning on using a 30.9mm dropper as well, but i need to figure out how long the OEM shim is in order to buy the correct length of 30.9->34.9 shim. if you find out, please post here
    There are 34.9mm droppers out there. It's going to become more common as a larger diameter dropper allows for better components inside the post.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    After loving my '13 Honzo for years, I finally snagged a carbon frame, and I'm starting the build this week. Anyone know what Cane Creek 40 headset fits the CR?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Lots of great rides on here! I've been through most pages gathering info for a new build. Just got a Honzo ST and cant wait to build it up! All parts are on order.
    The highlights:
    2017 Honzo ST Med (I'm 5'10")
    Carver Trail 490 Boost Carbon Fork
    29er Flow Mk3 on DT350 Boost hubs
    29x2.6 Nobby Nics
    GX 1x11 Cassette/der/shifter
    Turbine Cinch Cranks
    50mm Atlas 35 stem with 800mm SixC Bars
    Shimano XT M8000 Brakes
    Reverb Stealth Dropper

Hoping it rides like a rowdy big BMX bike!
    Pics to follow! Cheers!

Nor­wegr
    Will nn 2.6 on rims that wide fit the frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    There is a guy riding a 2016 Ti Honzo singlespeed with a similar wheel setup. The new Flows are 29.5mm wide internal and claim to be good for up to 2.8in tires.
    Check out noot's post in this thread from 11/13 of last year. He has pics. The Ti and Steel Honzos have more clearance than the carbon or AL versions.
    I'll report back if it doesnt work out.

They'll fit just fine! Looking forward to your feedback
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

new to me honzo

Just finished up my build, no ride time yet. Most of the parts were swapped from my 2011 Yelli. My primary reasons for the change are the updated (longer) geometry, sliders for SS and I've always wanted a Ti bike. I'd say there's a zero percent chance that this is my final build as I like to tinker and will add a dropper at the minimum. I'm 6-1, 220 and live in Socal, my "main" ride is a Canfield Riot built around 32lb.

Some of the more interesting bits are listed below. I haven't weighed the full build, but the spreadsheet says 25lb on the nose.

Frame = Large Honzo Ti
    Fork = 2016 Fox 34 Boost @140
    F Wheel = Hope Pro 4 laced 2x to Nextie 40mm with Sapim D-Lights
    R Wheel = True Precision Stealth laced 2x to LB 30mm with Sapim Race
    Handlebar = Asylum 780mm Ti flat
    Chainring = 32t HBC AL
    Cog = 19t CK

I just built the rear wheel so I have zero miles on the Stealth hub other than scooting around my cul de sac. It's a pig at around 500g but should be interesting. It truly is dead silent with instant engagement.

The 2.4 Goma weighs 890g and measures almost 2.6" on the 33mm internal rim. I've got a lot of miles on it and I think it is a great alternative to 29+.

The BB height is 12.2" which is just fine, but makes me a tad nervous to reduce the fork height and swap a smaller front tire.

My frame weight came in higher than expected. It weighed 2268g with headset, maxle and post collar, which puts it around 2018g naked. Based on some posts in this thread I was hoping to come in under 1.9kg. No big deal, it is what it is after all.

Anyway, can't wait to get it dirty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-initial-build-26jan17.jpg  

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo-initial-build2-26jan17.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by abeck View Post
    Handlebar = Asylum 780mm Ti flat

I just built the rear wheel so I have zero miles on the Stealth hub other than scooting around my cul de sac. It's a pig at around 500g but should be interesting. It truly is dead silent with instant engagement.
    Where did you get that bar? I might be awful at googling, but I couldn't find it.

Personally I prefer it the other way around, the louder the better since it makes people infront of me on trails hear me long before they see me.

My small is just below 25lbs with a dropper, 1x11 and heavy dhf tires so yours almost hitting the same number is pretty good I'd say.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't worry, your googling skills are fine, the bar really doesn't seem to exist. I found it by accident (on a site I don't even remember) a few years back, it was under 100 bucks so I hit the "add to Cart" button even though I didn't "need" it. It looks great and I like the length and the sweep but doesn't feel measurably different than the flat AL bar it replaced.

I admit the silent hub is pretty gimmicky. I need to decide if the instant engagement beneficial enough to warrant the extra beef. The hub was another random buy, this one off eBay. Just sounded too cool to pass up for half off retail.

Had my first shake down ride last night and so far so good. The front end felt nearly the same as the Yelli (it was a parts swap after all) but I appreciated the extra length, felt very comfortable. My only issue was using a new chain on an old chainring and cog, will take a few rides to stretch out.

Nice choice with the Nextie 40mm - I'm liking mine quite a bit so far. 33mm is, to me, the perfect width for these frames as they'll take a 2.35, or a 2.6, and fit quite nicely.

My first ride on them, I didn't put enough sealant in and ended up with 2 completely flat tires. Of course, I didn't notice they were completely flat until I was halfway down a rather steep rooty section of trail, and I was wondering why the heck my front wheel wasn't gripping and I couldn't stop...

I was around 250lbs geared up at the time, and both rims are completely fine.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Equality 7-2521 View Post
    After loving my '13 Honzo for years, I finally snagged a carbon frame, and I'm starting the build this week. Anyone know what Cane Creek 40 headset fits the CR?
    Just to follow up, in case anyone else has the same question, this is the Cane Creek headset needed for the 2017 Honzo CR:

https://www.canecreek.com/store/head...-top-cover-128

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I am thinking about buying a Honzo ST 2015-2017. Now I use Shimano slx m665 double system with hand switching. I hope use it on Honzo ST too. Is it enough room for double or triple crankset on Honzo?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    AFAIK, Honzo is 1x only

mtbr member
    I am thinking about buying a Honzo ST 2015-2017. Now I use Shimano slx m665 double system with hand switching. I hope use it on Honzo ST too. Is it enough room for double or triple crankset on Honzo?
    I have the same crankset on my 2016 Honzo st. I do not have it set up with a second chain ring but I have considered it for some long climbs from the trails around me. I even found a pic on my phone showing the 64 bcd mounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-slx-double-shot.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    AFAIK, Honzo is 1x only
    I know about front derailleur mount. I don't need it or I can use Blackspire Stinger E type for mounting derailleur. Also it not difficult to stop and throw over chain by hand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have the same crankset on my 2016 Honzo st. I do not have it set up with a second chain ring but I have considered it for some long climbs from the trails around me. I even found a pic on my phone showing the 64 bcd mounts.
    You are right. It is my idea. Mount and use 64 bcd ring on long climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Almost done!

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170202_122138_resized-1-.jpg
    Waiting for my 29x2.6 Nobby Nics from Bike24 in Germany. Shipped a week ago so hoping not too many more days!
    Otherwise she's begging to be flogged.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by braaptownusa View Post

Name:	20170202_122138_resized(1).jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	1119234
    Waiting for my 29x2.6 Nobby Nics from Bike24 in Germany. Shipped a week ago so hoping not too many more days!
    This is a cool build... where did you get that fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    This is a cool build... where did you get that fork?
    Carver carbon 490mm a-c boost fork.
    $299 at bikeman.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Carver carbon 490mm a-c boost fork.
    $299 at bikeman.com
    Awesome thanks!

mtbr member

Name:	20170202_122138_resized(1).jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	1119234
    Usually takes two weeks. They are true to size and then some. Nice build
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Usually takes two weeks. They are true to size and then some. Nice build
    Thanks! I'll put up final build pics with a ride report. The wait is painful. Last notification says that they are enroute to the US and that the Postal Service will take over from there. Not sure what your experiences were if tracking will follow on the USPS website until delivery.....

Nor­wegr
    Anyone measured the 2.6 compared to a maxxis 2.5?

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Anyone measured the 2.6 compared to a maxxis 2.5?
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-89c9c131bc4f01c77d31a8d6c8840b74.jpg
    Here is a comparo from another thread. Side by side.
    1994 Diamondback Viper BMX
    1994 Bridgestone MB-6
    2015 Transition Patrol
    2017 Kona Honzo ST

dontcha?
    Finally got some decent pics of my Big Honzo, made quite a few changes from stock, overall the bike rides pretty fantastic, I was planning on picking up a 29er wheelset to swap between the plus and 29" wheelset.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170203_130709.jpg

edit: fixed image links
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding View Post
    Finally got some decent pics of my Big Honzo, made quite a few changes from stock, overall the bike rides pretty fantastic, I was planning on picking up a 29er wheelset to swap between the plus and 29" wheelset.

Attachment 1119860

Nailed it.

mtbr member
    Mitchy, Which fork are you using? I assume it's for a 29er?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    building up my big honzo now! looks like the standard rear brake adapter bolts aren't long enough - they only go about halfway through the adapter's threads. is this an issue, andi if so, what was the fix?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

2017 honzo st 27.5+

Quote Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
    ignore the temp pedals, my SPD's aren't playing nice.

certainly are, hasdesigns.pt is the place to go.
    Hugo has done the blue/green fade on my Honzo, and the individual die cut gloss over matte black for my Enduro. he's a legend!

WoWzA!!! What a hawt bike! So can you confirm the you get no rubbing from the 2.8 in the rear on the 2017 frame? I plan on trying 2.8 nobby nics on a wtb asym i35...
    Last edited by jveebs; 02-07-2017 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Forgot to add quote

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    building up my big honzo now! looks like the standard rear brake adapter bolts aren't long enough - they only go about halfway through the adapter's threads. is this an issue, andi if so, what was the fix?
    i had this issue with another bike, i took the socket cap screws to a local hardware store and got some that were a bit longer, same thread.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

27.5+ clearance on a 2017 honzo st

Can anyone throw a pic of the rear tire clearance on the 2017 boost honzo st frame up? I have a 2.8" nobby nic mounted on a wtb i35 and fear it'll be awfully close...
    Last edited by jveebs; 02-07-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Incomplete

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thanks, going to give that a shot! I'm surprised that Kona doesn't provide them with the frame-only - they had to know that their thicker than normal rear caliper mount would cause this issue

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Here's my '17 Steel, size XL.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-honzo.jpg

Boost 110 Pike 140mm
    WTB Asym i35 (29) to Boost 110/148 DT 350 hubs
    Maxxis Minion SS 29x2.3, WTB Trailboss 29x2.4 up front.
    Zee brakes - 180/160 ice tech rotors
    Zee Crank, XT 10 speed shifter & derailleur.

At the shop we tried a WTB Ranger 3.0 up front but its too tall and scrapes the fork arch. Will be giving a Minion DHF 2.5 a try, and perhaps a Nobby Nic 2.6.

I'm loving this bike, its so different from my Hei Hei!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_1574.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Amazing. Would love to see a picture straight on from the side to see how long that thing is!

Quote Originally Posted by etherbadger View Post
    Here's my '17 Steel, size XL.

Name:	honzo.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	1120317

Boost 110 Pike 140mm
    WTB Asym i35 (29) to Boost 110/148 DT 350 hubs
    Maxxis Minion SS 29x2.3, WTB Trailboss 29x2.4 up front.
    Zee brakes - 180/160 ice tech rotors
    Zee Crank, XT 10 speed shifter & derailleur.

At the shop we tried a WTB Ranger 3.0 up front but its too tall and scrapes the fork arch. Will be giving a Minion DHF 2.5 a try, and perhaps a Nobby Nic 2.6.

I'm loving this bike, its so different from my Hei Hei!

Jan 2017

2017 Honzo St L 29/27.5+

I've now spent some time on the new Honzo with 29er wheels & tires, and with 27.5+ wheels & tires. At the end of the day, the two setups feel quite different, and I love both of them. Thoughts below...

29 Setup: Novtatec Flow Trail w/ Kenda Honey Badger Pro 2.4
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0316.jpg

27.5+ Setup: Syncros i35 + DT 350 w/ Maxxis HR2 & Rekon 2.8
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0339.jpg
    P.S. the chainstays have about 6mm of clearance on either side with the i35/Rekon 2.8's

The first obvious difference I feel is the increased drag with the 27.5+ tires. By themselves, I don't mind climbing with them too much (especially when compared with how fun they are descending & general 'flat' trail riding). But when I swap to the 29er wheels, it feels like I can climb like a banshee...which highlights the 27.5+ drag... I've also found this bike with the 27.5+ tires to be ample bike on some steel & rough 'enduro-ish' type of trails.

The second big difference that is noticeable is the height & agility of the bike. While the actual diameter difference between 29 & 27.5+ is quite small, for some reason I feel very high off the ground & not super stable during tight cornering with the 29 inch wheels, when compared to the 27.5+ setup. This is clearly affected by the fact that I am using the same 150mm fork with both wheelsets. A shorter fork with the 29er wheels would level things out a bit more.

To compensate for some those geo problems: I am running about 35% sag, which puts my riding position about equivalent to a 130-140mm fork @ standard 20% sag, with the added benefit of ungodly amounts of small bump compliance (due to high sag %). My head angle is about 67 degrees when I'm sitting on the bike.

I've settled on using the 29er wheels for XC racing & mellow trail riding. I throw on the big rubber for any gravity riding, or muddy/loose trail riding.

Build:
    2017 Honzo Large
    Rockshox Yari RC 150mm, boost
    Shimano M8000 drivetrain (11-46T cassette / 32T chainring)
    Magura MT2 brakes w/ 203mm rotors
    Wheels: see photo captions
    Chromag Trailmaster saddle/grips
    Race Face Atlas 800m length 35mm clamp bars
    Race Face Atlas 35mm stem
    KS eTen Integra 100mm dropper (not shown)
    Crankbrothers Candy pedals

mtbr member
    Amazing. Would love to see a picture straight on from the side to see how long that thing is!
    Same here

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thomas12seanc I am looking to built one about same set as yours. Since its the same size i am getting, would you tell me your setup weights in 29 and in 27.5+? Would be appreciated

EnvoyÚ de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by etherbadger View Post
    !
    2.5 DHF will fit nicely, I run it front and rear on my Ti. If you run wide rims there's a version of the DHF that accomodates it better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Are there supposed to be some guides to run the dropper housing along the downtube on a 2017 steel? I picked up the frame from my shop (new in the box still) and while there are cable clamps for the brake housing on the top tube and seat stay, there is nothing to go with the extra downtube bosses that would hold a dropper housing before it enters the seat tube. Did I miss out on a small part or something?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm going to add- just building up my '15 steel frame- is there a rubber grommet or something to fill the hole where the dropper post cable comes out of the frame? I had something from Transition from my old bike, but it doesn't fit this frame.

Anyone have any ideas on what will fit?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ru-tang View Post
    I'm going to add- just building up my '15 steel frame- is there a rubber grommet or something to fill the hole where the dropper post cable comes out of the frame? I had something from Transition from my old bike, but it doesn't fit this frame.

Anyone have any ideas on what will fit?
    My 2017 had a solid rubber insert in that seat tube hole when I took it out of the box. There was a different insert with a hole/guide for the cable if you are using a dropper. Sounds like your 2015 frame didn't come with the solid insert. I'd try calling Kona if you need it badly, or use some duct tape or electrical tape for now.

mtbr member
    Are there supposed to be some guides to run the dropper housing along the downtube on a 2017 steel? Did I miss out on a small part or something?
    My 2016 did not come with guides for routing a dropper on the down tube. Zip ties or auto type p-clamps will work but if you want something that looks like its supposed to be on the frame I would suggest these:

Ragley Cable Guide Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-stealth-dropper-cable-guides.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Same here
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dscf1337.jpg

The wheel base looks to be about 49 inches (bottom of wheels touching ground.)

The entire thing is a tad over 77 inches long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170210_172459.jpg

Introducing the Braapster!
    2017 Med Honzo ST
    Carver 490 Trail boost carbon fork
    Boost 350 hubs with Stans Flow MK3 hoops Nobby Nic 29x2.6
    GX drivetrain, Turbine cinch cranks, Wolftooth 32t oval ring
    125mm Reverb dropper, Chromag Trailmaster saddle
    Atlas 35 SixC carbon bars, 50mm stem
    Shimano M8000 brakes and 180mm rotors.
    My guess is about 28lbs.
    Too bad the trails are mush here. Ride report with more photos to follow!
    1994 Diamondback Viper BMX
    1994 Bridgestone MB-6
    2015 Transition Patrol
    2017 Kona Honzo ST

mtbr member
    Updated the honzo with a set of stans flow ex, schwalbe 2.35 racing ralph in rear and nobby nic up front. Also had to rebuild lev integra dropper that failed after 6 months.

Next up is a fork upgrade.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_20170211_110507.jpg
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Updated the honzo with a 780mm carbon bar, stans flow ex hoops, schwalbe 2.35 racing ralph in rear and nobby nic up front. Also had to rebuild lev integra dropper that failed after 6 months.

Name:	IMG_20170211_110507.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	1120869
    greener pastures

Oat

Finished my Honzo ST

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1458.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1459.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1460.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1461.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1462.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1465.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1466.jpg
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-imag1467.jpg

Finished my Honzo ST build finally...

Build:

- XL frame
    - RS Pike RCT3 150mm
    - NOBL 33 Carbon rims with NOBLE (Onyx) hubs and Maxxis Beaver tires 2.25
    - KS Lev Integra 150 seatpost with WTB Rocket V TI saddle
    - Shimano XTR Crank with Wolf Tooth 30t narrow wide chain ring
    - Shimano XTR shadow plus 10sp rear derailleur
    - Shimano XTR Shifter
    - Shimano XTR Trail pedals
    - Shimano XT M8000 Brakes 203mm front and 180mm rear
    - Easton Havoc 35 Carbon handlebar
    - Easton Havoc 35 Stem 50mm
    - ODI lock on grips
    - Cane Creek 40 series headset
    - Shimano XT bottom bracket
    - Shimano XT Cassette

Weighs exactly 29.5 lbs

Yes, I know I have to shorten the rear brake hose.
    :thumbsup:

Name:	20170210_172459.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	1120842

Introducing the Braapster!
    2017 Med Honzo ST
    Carver 490 Trail boost carbon fork
    Boost 350 hubs with Stans Flow MK3 hoops Nobby Nic 29x2.6
    GX drivetrain, Turbine cinch cranks, Wolftooth 32t oval ring
    125mm Reverb dropper, Chromag Trailmaster saddle
    Atlas 35 SixC carbon bars, 50mm stem
    Shimano M8000 brakes and 180mm rotors.
    My guess is about 28lbs.
    Too bad the trails are mush here. Ride report with more photos to follow!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8shadow8 View Post

Name:	IMAG1458.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	1120872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1459.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	1120873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1460.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	1120874Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1461.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	1120875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1462.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	1120876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1465.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	1120877

Name:	IMAG1466.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	1120878

Name:	IMAG1467.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	1120879

Finished my Honzo ST build finally...

Build:

- XL frame
    - RS Pike RCT3 150mm
    - NOBL 33 Carbon rims with NOBLE (Onyx) hubs and Maxxis Beaver tires 2.25
    - KS Lev Integra 150 seatpost with WTB Rocket V TI saddle
    - Shimano XTR Crank with Wolf Tooth 30t narrow wide chain ring
    - Shimano XTR shadow plus 10sp rear derailleur
    - Shimano XTR Shifter
    - Shimano XTR Trail pedals
    - Shimano XT M8000 Brakes 203mm front and 180mm rear
    - Easton Havoc 35 Carbon handlebar
    - Easton Havoc 35 Stem 50mm
    - ODI lock on grips
    - Cane Creek 40 series headset
    - Shimano XT bottom bracket
    - Shimano XT Cassette

Weighs exactly 29.5 lbs

Yes, I know I have to shorten the rear brake hose.
    Wow, some sick new builds! Nice work
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Does any try use Honzo 2015-2017 with 3.0 tires on 35 mm rim?

Does any try use Honzo 2015-2017 with 3.0 tires on 35 mm rim?

A legit 3.0 tire will almost certainly not fit.

Some of the small 3.0s might, like the Fat B Nimble. My buddy ran a FBN on an Arc30 (30mm internal) without issues.
    Last edited by noot; 02-12-2017 at 04:29 PM.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    The best I could fit on a 35mm internal rim was the Fat B Nimble, which measures about 2.7 in width

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thank you for information. It is not clear for me about 35 mm rims and 2.8 tires. Is it enough room for it? Is it more room for tires on 2017 year model?

mtbr member
    I have a 2017 Honzo ST. I'm referring to 29" tires. Most "plus" tires measure smaller than the stated size. The Fat B Nimble is sold as 29 x 3.0 but on my rims the actual width is 2.7. This is one of the smallest plus tires so I don't know that any others would fit.

mtbr member
    There is a 2015 a few pages back running a 2.8 DHR II on a 36mm internal rim. No clearance shot though. It looks like it's working out.

If you really want a 3.0 back there, someone has spread the yoke out successfully. This voids the warranty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thank you for information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

16 st build finally complete

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4621-copy_opt.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4617-copy_opt.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_4622-copy_opt-1-.jpg
    Had the frame for over a year, nearly sold it at one point then finally got a good deal on some pikes and the build progressed. trialed some old 650b wheels but didn't like them so ordered some 29 hoops
    "in photos bikes rear wheel is sitting higher making the geo look steep"
    bike generally feels a bit cramped for me but I'm trying to do double duty between me and my 14 year old son, i need to slide the seat back and maybe a 70mm stem but i am used to my long Yeti SB5 so well see how it goes, its slighty large for son but he will grow into it, previously had a unit and a satori also have a 26" kona stuff DJ for the kids, love the Konas

2016 Large steel
    140 pikes RST, slik enchanced
    cane creek 40 headset
    easton haven carbon bars
    wheels, stans flow 30mm. hope pro 4 hubs
    tyres maxxis, 2.3 HR2 front and 2.25 ardent rear
    hope 50mm stem
    hope seat clamp
    WTB volt seat
    thomsen elite seat post, will get dropper later
    XT brakes
    sram X1 170mm cranks, 32 direct chain-ring
    11 sp sram GX cluster and derailleur
    atomlab pimplite pedals

Hope you like.....................all me orange bits

this beast will be thrashing the trails in northern Australia

mtbr member
    Very nice build 4vdean! Great colorways!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4vdean View Post

Name:	IMG_4617 - Copy_opt.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	1121609
    Nice tire clocking on the rims...

Good looking bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Updated the honzo with a 780mm carbon bar, stans flow ex hoops, schwalbe 2.35 racing ralph in rear and nobby nic up front. Also had to rebuild lev integra dropper that failed after 6 months.

Name:	IMG_20170211_110507.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	1120869
    How's the tire clearance in the rear with the 2.35? I'm about to replace the stock Crossmark's on my AL/DL.

mtbr member
    Got about 8 rides on the bike since completion. This thing rips! Ditched the back pack too. Could not be happier.
    Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0644.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    x2

Also, what's the color match like on the Hope stuff with the orange on the Honzo?

I just got my steel frame, wondering what kind of parts I can do on it to keep it clean

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by i.a.n. View Post
    Attachment 1112077

Happy Holidays from Santa Cruz.
    what fork you running on that man !

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by SlurrP View Post
    x2

Also, what's the color match like on the Hope stuff with the orange on the Honzo?

I just got my steel frame, wondering what kind of parts I can do on it to keep it clean
    The hope orange is not really a good match to the Kona orange at all but it still looks ok, even the silk graphics pike decals are not matching orange as I just chose their standard orange but I'm sure you can custom color, but overall you don't really notice....

Go faster!
    8shadow8. Nice XL. How tall are you?
    Last edited by tkrowe; 02-17-2017 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote original post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Craw View Post
    How's the tire clearance in the rear with the 2.35? I'm about to replace the stock Crossmark's on my AL/DL.
    more than enough room for 2.35 and the schwalbe runs true to size.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone have a 2014 Honzo XL frame or complete they are looking to sell? If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone with an older Honzo (2012/13) have any seatpost clamp recommendations? Currently using a Hope clamp and getting a little slippage recently. Using a dropper FWIW

Nor­wegr
    Have you cleaned the seatpost and tube recently? I recommend Hope clamps!

Wanna ride bikes?
    grease the threads of the bolt to ensure it's not binding and your getting proper torque. cleaning and re-greasing seatpost may help?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Ti honzo 2.0

Swapped out my m8000 brakes for Saints (I've been as high as 250lbs geared up), rebuilt my rear wheel with a DT 240s, XT 11-46 cassette, XT derailleur, and XTR shifter.

Really loving the look with the nic 2.6s and big rims...

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170220_154449.jpg
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    I agree. Love the NN 2.6's on your bike. I could not wait for the tires to arrive and went with the minion 2.5's. Next set will be NN 2.6's

Nor­wegr
    That's nice noot, are they 27.5 or 29 nns? And is it an XL or L? I'm trying to locate a photo of an XL for someone asking about nice looking trailbikes in that size, most look like clownbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by vegard View Post
    that's nice noot, are they 27.5 or 29 nns? And is it an xl or l? I'm trying to locate a photo of an xl for someone asking about nice looking trailbikes in that size, most look like clownbikes.
    29, xl

Its a great XL. Good Geo, good standover, and I have tons of seat post insertion room left (I'm 6'7).
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Busted the maxle handle off my rear axle.. have any of you replaced the rear maxle with a bolt on for the boost models? If so where did you get it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gillis View Post
    Almost done!

Can anyone tell me where I might find these cable guides?

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by dseybert View Post
    CRC, I use the 'single' version on my TI.
    Ragley Cable Guide Kit | Chain Reaction Cycles

Busted the maxle handle off my rear axle.. have any of you replaced the rear maxle with a bolt on for the boost models? If so where did you get it
    I don't have boost, but I use bolt on axles exclusively. I think this one should work for you, should double check tho:
    https://r2-bike.com/SHIFT-UP-Thru-Ax...ost-Maxle-L183

29, xl

Its a great XL. Good Geo, good standover, and I have tons of seat post insertion room left (I'm 6'7).
    Thanks noot Will look into the 2.6s when my dhf 2.5s wear out.

mtbr member
    CRC, I use the 'single' version on my TI.
    Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I saw those ones, but I was hoping to not spend $25 (including shipping). The ones in the pic looked different to me, and I was hoping someone might have another brand/source.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nor­wegr
    Thanks for the info. I should have mentioned that I saw those ones, but I was hoping to not spend $25 (including shipping). The ones in the pic looked different to me, and I was hoping someone might have another brand/source.
    It could be, hard to tell since there isn't much light, the ragley one (crc owned brand) is the one alot of the users in this thread has been getting, so I assumed it was it

If you google p-clip you should find various ones, cheapest ones being plastic and found in most stores with plumbing supplies.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-dsc_2798.jpg

I decided only to use the upper part of that clip, but it made it a tad harder to keep still when tightening, which is why it's off at an angle.

mtbr member
    Interesting... I emailed Kona to get more info about the grommet with a hole in it, since mine doesn't have one. I also asked about P-clips in the email. This is the response I got:

Hi, your frame will have come with a bag of hardware including the alternate plug for the seat tube and P-clips for the hose/cable routing.
    From reading through here it seems pretty common for this hardware to not be in the box...

mtbr member
    I ordered a bag of 100 cable clips for $4.00 on amazon 1/4"

Nor­wegr
    From reading through here it seems pretty common for this hardware to not be in the box...
    Yep, no p-clips with mine, but 1 grommet. Store I bought it from sent me p-clips and an extra grommet free of charge, so I got great service, just not from Kona.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Man, lots of new steel up in here! So pumped to get mine out.

The Basics:
    2016 Kona Honzo ST (142)
    140MM Pike
    WTB i25KOM Rims / Chris King Hubs
    NobbyNic 2.35 R / Hans Dampf F
    XT8000 Drivetrain / SLX Brakes
    Raceface Cranks
    9.8 120mm Dropper

Thinking of putting a 120 on there to get really low, but seems like everyone loves their 140s, so I'll give it a bunch of rides before I commit. If switchbacks are harder than they were on the old rootdown I'll drop it.

Happy riding.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-_mg_8080.jpg

Wanna ride bikes?

Name:	_MG_8080.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	1123098
    I don't say this often, but that's a good lookin bike. I love the raw steel frame look paired with the black components, and the dark brown saddle and grips add a subtle accent. the orange doesn't do much for me but there's not much of it and the rest goes well together.

oh yeah, and i bet it's fun as hell!
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Thanks again! I heard back from Kona and it sounds like they're going to ship me the clips and grommet that the bike was supposed to come with, so I'l lsee how those look before spending any more money.

mtbr member
    Just wandering if anyone knows the best lacquer to touch up the honzo st frame scratches? I have a few its of light rust coming through in places where stone chips etc have taken of the original lacquer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    Just wandering if anyone knows the best lacquer to touch up the honzo st frame scratches? I have a few its of light rust coming through in places where stone chips etc have taken of the original lacquer.

i use clear nail polish. then again i dont mind the surface rust, it gives the frame character.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am going to be putting up a 2016 ST Frame (L), RCT3 Pike 140mm and a Hope Pro2/Stans Flow wheelset up on Pinkbike and Craigslist tomorrow. Just gotta take some pics. Figured I'd mention it in this thread first. My build is in here a few pages back. Very fun and capable bike, I just want some rear wheel travel.

PM Me if interested.

mtbr member
    Bought mine from Ibis online Hexle ? Ibis Cycles Online Store

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Bought mine from Ibis online Hexle ? Ibis Cycles Online Store
    so im guessing the thread pitch for the rear axle is 1.5?

mtbr member
    I thought I'd update this based on what I've learnt over the past few days in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I'd like to start by saying the guys at Kona that I've been working with have been very helpful.

The picture below shows two extremely different styles of cable routing clips. The plastic ones on the left are what came with my frame, and can in no way shape or form be used to route a dropper post cable along the downtube. The ones on the right are what came after a few email exchanges with Kona.

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-20170224_145651.jpg

If you can't tell, the right one is the same as what's in gillis' picture above. For anyone reading this, according to Kona the ones on the right should've come with your frame, and if they didn't you can contact Kona and have them send you some instead of spending (more) money on another product. That said, they only sent me two, and said that they only recomend running the top two guides. I guess it's supposed to hang the rest of the way to the grommet where it enters the downtube. I don't like that idea, so I've ordered two more clips from them for pretty cheap. They reccomend the plastic P-clips for the lower two mounts if you're running a water bottle cage. I ordered two aluminum and two plastic. I'll test both and see what I like best.

mtbr member
    so im guessing the thread pitch for the rear axle is 1.5?
    According to Ibis it's 1.75:

"ANOTHER NOTE: If you are looking to retrofit your non-Ibis bike with one of our Hexle's, you'll need to know the standard or thread pitch. For some reason, our industry has decided we need three different thread pitches for through axles:

Syntace, Specialized and DT use 12x1.0
    Shimano is 12x1.5
    Rock shox maxle is 12x1.75"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So if I want a Honzo but want to avoid the tire fire that is pressfit bottom brackets, is building up a steel Honzo my only option? I'd love to just go buy an alu Honzo and not deal with building but I'll never buy a pressfit bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tekhna View Post
    So if I want a Honzo but want to avoid the tire fire that is pressfit bottom brackets, is building up a steel Honzo my only option? I'd love to just go buy an alu Honzo and not deal with building but I'll never buy a pressfit bike.
    steel or titanium.

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Feb 2007

2017 Kona Honzo ST

After a lengthy wait due to my going back and forth on multiple parts I have finally completed my Honzo ST. I was extremely lucky and spent over 400 miles aboard one before I decided to get one of my own. Possibly the longest demo ever. Best riding bike I've ever been on. Period.

Frame 2017 Kona Honzo ST Large
    Fork RockShox Pike RCT3 140mm Boost
    Headset Cane Creek 40
    Handlebar Renthal Fatbar Carbon 780mm 10mm Rise
    Stem Renthal Apex 31mm
    Grips Ergon GE1
    Brakes Shimano XT M8000 200mm/180mm Freeza Rotors
    Shifters Shimano XT M8000
    RD Shimano XT M8000 GS
    Guide OneUp Components BB Mount
    Cranks Shimano XT M8000 Boost 175mm/34t XT Chainring
    BB Shimano XT M8000
    Chain Shimano XTR HG-901
    Cassette Shimano XT M8000 11-46
    Pedals Shimano XT Trail
    Front Rim Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow MK3 32 Hole
    Rear Rim Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow MK3 32 Hole
    Hubs DT Swiss 350 Centerlock Boost
    Spokes DT Swiss Competition
    Front Tire Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35
    Rear Tire Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35
    Saddle fi'zi:k Tundra M1
    Seatpost Fox Transfer Performance 150mm
    Clamp Chromag NQR

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8116.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8117.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8118.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8119.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8121.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8122.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8123.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8124.jpg

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_8125.jpg

Here's a link to the full res album.
    2017 Kona Honzo ST - Album on Imgur
    Last edited by jonathan_sykes81; 03-01-2017 at 08:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I have a chance to pick up an almost-new 2012 frame, or a new 2016. I've read some reviews that say that the new frame has better compliance due to narrowed seat stays -- but that sounds a lot like marketing to me...

Can anyone who's ridden both comment on whether there are any substantial ride differences between these frames? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81 View Post
    After a lengthy wait due to my going back and forth on multiple parts I have finally completed my Honzo ST. I was extremely lucky and spent over 400 miles aboard one before I decided to get one of my own. Possibly the longest demo ever. Best riding bike I've ever been on. Period.
    Sounds like a killer build! Pics are not showing though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan_sykes81 View Post
    Now I'm jealous! Still waiting on my wheels... Ugh. It's killing me!

mtbr member
    Last edited by dseybert; 03-02-2017 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a 2013 and a 2016, I have them set up very differently so I cannot compare compliance but I can tell you the newer yoke design lets you stuff a much bigger tire in there, so at the least there is potential for a plusher ride if you don't mind bigger rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by bisicklay View Post
    So I have a chance to pick up an almost-new 2012 frame, or a new 2016. I've read some reviews that say that the new frame has better compliance due to narrowed seat stays -- but that sounds a lot like marketing to me...

Can anyone who's ridden both comment on whether there are any substantial ride differences between these frames? Thanks.
    I'll echo BikeBro.

I had a 2012 and it was great. Definitely not "stiff", especially compared to aluminum.

My 16 is definitely more flexy, but it's also Ti so not apples to apples.

I had a '16 ST on order entirely for the increased tire room (and it's a pretty affordable upgrade in the big picture). I only went Ti because the ST was backordered and I have a problem...

So I'd recommend the same to you!
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    I had a 2013 and replaced it with a 2016. I used all the same parts between the frames. I prefer the feel of the 2016. Get both if you can afford it. The 2016 for the ride and the 2012 for the best color. 🤘

Nor­wegr
    Anyone tried 29" Heist30? Wondering if I should get them and keep the Roams as a more XC-ish wheel set.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs010 View Post
    IMHO you should welcome any weight savings on the Honzo ST so scratches are good. The harder you ride it, the faster it becomes

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i have a question for the single speed guys, what kind of rear sprocket/spacer/chain set up should i get if i wanted to convert my 10 speed to a single?

There are quite a few options - DMR, Surly, Wheels mfg, etc.

Google "Singlespeed Spacer". Jenson has a lot of options.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

Nor­wegr
    I recently read about a conversion kit that just screwed onto a regular XD hub, looks pretty neat and almost cheap enough to give a go. (I've never tried single speed.)

Problem Solvers zinger kit

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you are a bigger rider or just a plain masher, I recommend a SS rear cog over an Al one. The Surly is a great bang for the buck and you should start there as the rear cog you start your singlespeed journey with will more than likely not be the last. The CK rear cog is the gold standard but will cost about 2x compared to a Surly. The best Al cog that I've used is the Endless.

I live in dry, hilly socal and started with 32x21 and am currently running 32x19 after 5 or so years with a singlespeed. I am just now shopping for an 18t.

Just about any spacer kit should work for you, so choose what fits your budget. The one from Surly is nice since it comes with a SS lockring.

If you are currently running a 1x drivetrain, your current chainring should work well assuming it's in decent shape. I currently use a sram 1051 chain but I've used 871 and 971 without issue. I've dabbled with the PC-1 but I can't say that I'm a fan. I also do not have experience using an 11sp chain.

Good luck and have fun. The first ride will be exhilarating, but it takes a while for most folks to really get used to the cadence and full body workout. Even now, I rarely ride my singlespeed more than 2x per week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by abeck View Post
    If you are a bigger rider or just a plain masher, I recommend a SS rear cog over an Al one. The Surly is a great bang for the buck and you should start there as the rear cog you start your singlespeed journey with will more than likely not be the last. The CK rear cog is the gold standard but will cost about 2x compared to a Surly. The best Al cog that I've used is the Endless.

I live in dry, hilly socal and started with 32x21 and am currently running 32x19 after 5 or so years with a singlespeed. I am just now shopping for an 18t.

Just about any spacer kit should work for you, so choose what fits your budget. The one from Surly is nice since it comes with a SS lockring.

If you are currently running a 1x drivetrain, your current chainring should work well assuming it's in decent shape. I currently use a sram 1051 chain but I've used 871 and 971 without issue. I've dabbled with the PC-1 but I can't say that I'm a fan. I also do not have experience using an 11sp chain.

Good luck and have fun. The first ride will be exhilarating, but it takes a while for most folks to really get used to the cadence and full body workout. Even now, I rarely ride my singlespeed more than 2x per week.
    im about 190 fully geared, and i have a spare easton carbon wheelset with a shimano 10/11 speed hub im planning on using for the singlespeed setup. the surly spacer set and a few cogs should set me straight. im guessing ill get an 18, 20 and a 22 to start.

as far as chain rings for the front, i have a 30 and a 32 tooth raceface N/W, im planning on getting a 34.

with a 9 or 10 speed chain, im thinking this will be a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yep. Singlespeed is sweet simplicity. I use spacer kits from Wheels Mfg. or Surly, with a Surly cog. A variety of spacer widths is nice to fine-tune chainline. 10- and 9- speed chains work fine. Sram 971 with a quicklink. Any chainring will do. I run a cheap Zee.

If you want gearing advice, start easy. Since you have the ring, go 32:20, then toughen up from there. Strangely, larger rings with the same ratio play well.
    I've settled on 34:20 as my perfect gear for midwest and east coast terrain. Check out this little ditty --

Single Speed Drivetrains | Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes

Honzo is perfect for singlespeed -- very little flex.

I'd recommend an 8spd aka 3/32 chain for extra strength and longevity.

I recently learned of the KMC Z610 chain, which is a rampless 3/32 chain, stronger, longer lasting than a "normal" 8spd 3/32 chain.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    You might also want to consider an oval chainring, if you are upgrading to 34. i haven't tried it yet, but will do so this season. according to absolute black, this should be fine:

https://player.vimeo.com/video/135801728

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Team Honzo!

After one kinda proper ride I'm digging this frame. Very different than the rootdown with a 140mm. Way more stable on the downs, to the point where fast descents felt kinda slow if that makes sense. Climbs weren't hindered too bad by the longer front end and slacker head angle, but there is a bit of a learning curve on tight switchbacks. Also the first ride on dirt in months, so wasn't on my game per se. I think with 2.6 29er tires a 120mm fork would be in order as the front end would feel quite big. Still might drop the front end with a 120mm fork, we'll see. Going down is really a lot more fun than going up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I my 2017 St frame just came in, can't wait to get it built up. I'm interested how that 140 fork works for you, I haven't decided in travel yet but I'm definitely into big rubber.
    Also if anyone here is on the fence about buying a steel honzo frame, word is that Kona is done making them for the foreseeable future. Get em while you can!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter-01 View Post
    I my 2017 St frame just came in, can't wait to get it built up. I'm interested how that 140 fork works for you, I haven't decided in travel yet but I'm definitely into big rubber.
    Also if anyone here is on the fence about buying a steel honzo frame, word is that Kona is done making them for the foreseeable future. Get em while you can!
    get out! The carbon is fancy, but how can you not offer your flagship aggro hardtail in Steel? So un-real.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    get out! The carbon is fancy, but how can you not offer your flagship aggro hardtail in Steel? So un-real.
    That was my reaction exactly, especially after they changed it up and went boost for 2017. It's sad to see another one gone after losing the Trans Am last year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That was my reaction exactly, especially after they changed it up and went boost for 2017. It's sad to see another one gone after losing the Trans Am last year.
    i can see companies wanting to push cheaper alu frames, which are not not nearly as punishing with fat tires, which are all the rage. I guess they have ti & carbon for the hardcore honzo lovers. Still seems like a shame to lose a cheap & rad steel frame. Now I've got a collectors item!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i can see companies wanting to push cheaper alu frames, which are not not nearly as punishing with fat tires, which are all the rage. I guess they have ti & carbon for the hardcore honzo lovers. Still seems like a shame to lose a cheap & rad steel frame. Now I've got a collectors item!
    Anyone want a large 2017 Honzo ST? It's partially built, but never ridden. I'm having second thoughts after spending so much time on my full suspension bike lately.

Anyone want a large 2017 Honzo ST? It's partially built, but never ridden. I'm having second thoughts after spending so much time on my full suspension bike lately.
    Do yourself a favor and ride it before you sell it! Otherwise you'll never know what you may (or may not) be missing!
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    I have got to say, the imminent release of the DHF 2.6 29 has me holding off on going b+ with the 2.8 27.5 version. I really would like to have matching wheel sizes and axle standards between the FS bike I am going to get once I graduate and my Honzo. I really want a big bike, i.e. Balance, Nomad, or Patrol/Enduro to go with my Honzo.

Do you have any more info on that dhf?
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    No, it was only mentioned in the pinkbike article debuting Maxxis' new line up. Looks like bikerumor covered it, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Threw some upgrades at my rigid/ss Honzo today, new Hadley hubs to flow ex wheelset and a salsa 15mm tapered steel fork in place of the vodoo zombie 500 I was running earlier. It has a little less atc but all is well. Cheers! Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9197.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9194.jpgHonzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_9196.jpg

I will have to get that fork powder coated at some point too

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro View Post
    salsa 15mm tapered steel fork in place of the vodoo zombie 500 I was running earlier.
    I will have to get that fork powder coated at some point too
    Is Voodoo fork have AtC 500 mm?Will you plan to sell it?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Just joined the proud honzo owners club, mine just came in today. Can't wait to get it built up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes it's 500mm (tallest ridged around) I'm gonna hold onto it as a spare sorry man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've got my 2017 ST setup with a 160 Fox 36. Its probably way too much but I haven't experienced it with a normal size fork. It climbs really well though I dont do much seated climbing because its also single speed. Im thinking about racing an enduro on it then dropping down fork travel.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannensc View Post
    I've got my 2017 ST setup with a 160 Fox 36. Its probably way too much but I haven't experienced it with a normal size fork. It climbs really well though I dont do much seated climbing because its also single speed. Im thinking about racing an enduro on it then dropping down fork travel.
    I've been running a 150mm Pike since I built my bike up a year ago (2016 ST.) The only time the travel has bothered me is on super steep climbing. The steering does feel a bit slow if I have been riding my other bike for a while (first generation SC 5010) but I quickly get used to it.

Nor­wegr
    Which stem and bar width are you guys on smalls using?

I have a 0* 45mm stem and with a 720mm flat bar I found it to be too narrow and is bumping it up to cheap 760mm taking it from there once I find a better setting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Which stem and bar width are you guys on smalls using?

I have a 0* 45mm stem and with a 720mm flat bar I found it to be too narrow and is bumping it up to cheap 760mm taking it from there once I find a better setting.
    I currently have a renthal apex 50mm with a 740mm bar.

the stem is flipped, -6 deg rise
    Last edited by fssmikey; 03-22-2017 at 07:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do yourself a favor and ride it before you sell it! Otherwise you'll never know what you may (or may not) be missing!
    Dudes got a point. I built up a '16 and almost didn't ride it before I sold it. Only ride it a handful of times but it definitely made me think twice. If I didn't need the cash I would definitely have kept it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sorry if Im beating this to death, but have 29er 2.6 Nobby Nics been fit to any 2015 or 2016 STs? What's the clearance like, and what rims? I'm thinking I'll go i30 rims, but maybe that's not enough??

Sorry if Im beating this to death, but have 29er 2.6 Nobby Nics been fit to any 2015 or 2016 STs? What's the clearance like, and what rims? I'm thinking I'll go i30 rims, but maybe that's not enough??
    Yes, I'm running them with plenty of clearance on 33mm internal rims on a Ti frame, which has the same yoke design and clearance as the ST models.

The tread pattern is almost too square on 33mm, I think 30 would be perfect.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes, I'm running them with plenty of clearance on 33mm internal rims on a Ti frame, which has the same yoke design and clearance as the ST models.

The tread pattern is almost too square on 33mm, I think 30 would be perfect.
    Awesome, thanks. Are you liking the 2.6s? Do they seem different than 2.35 on the trails? They look beefier, but just by a bit.

Awesome, thanks. Are you liking the 2.6s? Do they seem different than 2.35 on the trails? They look beefier, but just by a bit.
    I've only had a chance to ride them in the wet mud, but they were far better than I expected based on the crap conditions.

I was riding a mix of "new" and "old" 2.35 Nics for most of last season, with the old split-block tire on the back. It had stretched out to almost 2.5in, with the "new" model being a bit smaller.

I wasn't really impressed with the rear tire, it seemed like regardless of tire pressure I could get it to slip when climbing (SS hammering) even in good dry conditions. Almost incredibly, my Rock Razor was better. The 2.6 (of new design, of course) was great.

The 2.6 measures exactly 2.6 (at 33mm internal), so the extra bit of volume will be nice.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    i was finally able to get out to the local trails this weekend with the bike set up singespeed

Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0063.jpg

the gearing is set up 30/20 and i was able to clear all the features/climbs in the 5 mile beginner/intermediate loop without killing myself.

im guessing i need to invest in a computer to figure out my cadence to fine tune the gearing. but i feel i can go up to a 32/20 or 30/19 without having to hike the climbs.

i also noticed a creak coming from somewhere in the front of the bike. ill take it to a local shop to grease the headset, and cut down the stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Honzo Build Thread - post your builds here-img_0065.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    What's the stock stem length for the 16/17s? My 45mm stem doesn't seem right.

Robtre

Need dropper seat post advice!!!

Friends of the Forum:

Ordering parts for my 2017 Honzo Steel XL , Can you guys help me with what dropper option? The Race Face has many options and my preference would be the 440mm length, 150mm drop if it will fit. Otherwise I will take the 375mm length, 125mm drop.

Any suggestions or a place to reference?
    -rides bikes for fun.

Nor­wegr
    Sure the 375mm will be enough? I'm on a rf turbine 415/125 and it's barely long enough to make work on my '16 ti.

Given the choice I wouldn't have bought the turbine again, it's finicky to set up properly and the action of the seatpost isn't very smooth.

My Giant Switch at half the cost is a way better post with smoother operation, sadly it only comes in 30.9.

Next time I'm going back to Kindshock Levs, even the cheap ones are great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robtre View Post
    Friends of the Forum:

Ordering parts for my 2017 Honzo Steel XL , Can you guys help me with what dropper option? The Race Face has many options and my preference would be the 440mm length, 150mm drop if it will fit. Otherwise I will take the 375mm length, 125mm drop.

Any suggestions or a place to reference?
    As a point of reference, I am 5'10" and just built up a medium frame Honzo with a 150mm Fox Transfer post with internal cable routing. It fit with no issues.

Edit: I said I have a large frame, but it's actually a medium.

Last edited by dseybert; 03-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    my 125mm KS LEV DX has been flawless for the 7 months I've had it.

Another vote for the KS Lev. The cable is great (external, but doesn't move). Best of both worlds imo (and the collar easily rotates for best position).

If I'm getting nitpicky, slightly less smooth then my reverb but who cares, doesn't effect the ride at all. Big pro is that unlike my reverb (which turned pogostick twice), it works and is still working.

Heads up on the raceface - my understanding is that while it utilizes some of the good parts of the 9point8 dropper, the rest of the parts are problematic. Someone correct me if this has changed.

Edit: I went into the store to buy a giant post but came out with the Lev Ti for the same price (good sale). The shim isn't a big deal to many, but would have bugged me.
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Lev TI is one of the best out there. I can't really fault it at all, I've run one for 1.5 years without a hiccup. Every bit as good as the Fall Line I've had for a year.

mtbr member
    I got the Fox after giving up on my KS LEV. After two years of ownership it was sent back 5 times for repair. The 6th time it stopped working it was no longer under warranty, so I spent $90 on a new cartridge and replaced it myself. The new cartridge lasted about 3 weeks. I threw it all in the garbage and got the Fox. No issues with the Fox so far after 6 months.

mtbr member
    What's the stock stem length for the 16/17s? My 45mm stem doesn't seem right.
    Hi vegard,
    The 2016 al large came with a 60mm stem (no idea about the rise, looks like 0 degree but not sure), and a 760mm handle bar fwiw

dontcha?
    +1 for the Fox Transfer
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."