Jun 2010

Here are the geo specs for 2020 Hei Hei carbon 29

Frame msrp is $3099.
    Info courtesy of Hello Bicycle
    3067 Beacon Ave. S
    Seattle, WA 98144
    (206) 805-6700
    http://www.hellobicycle.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here are the geo specs for 2020 Hei Hei carbon 29-hei-hei-geo.png  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Pricier than a typical Kona frame right? Geo looks very similar to the last model. Anyone know if this is 100mm of travel only?

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    Pricier than a typical Kona frame right? Geo looks very similar to the last model. Anyone know if this is 100mm of travel only?
    It's supposed to be 120/120. There are a couple threads in the Kona sub forum with details.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ah, damn. I was a lot more interested in the 100mm model from last year. Basically want a honzo with just enough travel to take the edge off.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Ah, damn. I was a lot more interested in the 100mm model from last year. Basically want a honzo with just enough travel to take the edge off.
    Uh, that's not what the Hei Hei is anyway. More like the Process 111 maybe, which died a few years ago.

There's some other short travel 29ers with Honzo like geometry out there. There's multiple threads specifically about that topic.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Having owned a honzo, 2 process 111s and now 2 Hei Hei 29s, i can chime in on this a bit.

The 100m HH has more in common with the honzo than the 111. I really, really liked the honzo but it and the 111 had too much overlap to choose, and when i did, i was reaching for the honzo. The hei hei was a great compromise to take the roughness out of the honzo without losing too much on the climbs. Neither matches the 111 when it comes to plowing down hill at speed but the 111 was long and didn't climb well on the trails im forced to frequent. I have helped to mitigate some of that by slackening the HH to 66* and added minions. Hell, I've even done an enduro race on it.

I was holding out hope that kona was going to go more "downcountry" with this new hei hei and it looks like they have. A little.

The biggest issue is their pricing and availability compared to other brands. After seeing some of the geo from this new bike, I decided the new HH wasn't going to be worth letting go of a bike thats working well for not only me, but also for my wife who rides one.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Disappointing numbers, especially the price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a 111 back in the 1st model year. It was way ahead of it's time on the geo front but it was quite a beast and pedaled like a bike with more travel but still felt like it had 111mm on the downs.

Wish they had stuck with 100mm out back and 120 in the front. 120 makes it a trail bike to me and since the suspension is still pretty basic, I doubt it will feel eager under power. I don't think this new version will be what I'm after.

Also $3099? They must think highly of this thing to price is $100 more than Ibis and Santa Cruz. Usually Kona likes to sit more towards the value side of things.

mtbr member
    Wish they had stuck with 100mm out back and 120 in the front. 120 makes it a trail bike to me and since the suspension is still pretty basic, I doubt it will feel eager under power. I don't think this new version will be what I'm after.

Also $3099? They must think highly of this thing to price is $100 more than Ibis and Santa Cruz. Usually Kona likes to sit more towards the value side of things.
    Same here. 110mm would have been perfect but at 120mm it puts them on the field with the new following and tallboy v4. Both of which will punish the HH on the downs and probably be equal on the climbs. Kona cant touch SC on carbon and paint quality not to mention warranty after the sale.

Kona keeps taking pages out of Chris from Niners playbook on how to lose any advantage they have in the marketplace. At their prices, there are many, many more competitive bikes/frames to choose from.
    greener pastures

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    Kona cant touch SC on carbon and paint quality not to mention warranty after the sale.
    Agreed, warranty is my issue with the carbon Kona's. The stays on the Hei Hei do not have a great reputation for durability and Kona's carbon bikes only carry a 3 year warranty vs. lifetime on their aluminum bikes.

https://www.konaworld.com/warranty/

Santa Cruz and Specialized both have better warranties and stand behind them. And 2020 Treks now come with lifetime warranties for even the rear triangles.