Hei Hei vs 134 29- Mtbr.com
    ali'i hua

Hei Hei vs 134 29

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a new full squish. I'm looking at the Hei Hei ant the 134. I live in socal and have heard that both are great for the area by a few friends. I'm coming from a hardtail XC past (Kona Kahuna) with a side of single speed disease as well

Aside from some small geometry differences/colors and price, which would you prefer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No one knows much about the new redesigned 2020 carbon 29 Hei Hei. I've emailed Kona asking for something, anything. My dealer doesn't know, my friend's regional rep has no info. It's like they don't want potential Hei Hei owners to get excited and not buy another brand.

mtbr member
    If you enjoy climbs and might race XC, the Hei Hei.
    If you like climbs, but prefer the descents...the new 134 would get my vote.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hei Hei vs 134 29-screenshot_2020-02-19-https-geometrygeeks-bike.png  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_manny View Post
    If you enjoy climbs and might race XC, the Hei Hei.
    If you like climbs, but prefer the descents...the new 134 would get my vote.
    that's a wonderful way of comparing them. one of the guys at my LBS tried to steer me for the 134, so this helps. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    From a 185 lbs guy, Hei Hei is pretty flexy too. If you end up putting nice hoops on it you will notice the thing squirm badly. Its a great XC bike, but if you aren't looking to race I'd steer towards the 134.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I own both, they're both excellent, but different.

The Hei Hei is super quick, nimble, efficient, and will be much more capable than your hardtail. This is my endurance race bike.

The 134 is a phenomenal trail bike. It's more substantial, can take anything you can throw at it, it's more composed in chunky terrain, etc.

I'm 210 lbs, pretty avid racer (I also ride SS), and have ridden the Hei Hei all over the east coast (including Pisgah and NE mountains) with no issues or complaints. Flexy? No.

The bottom line is one is an XC bike and one is a Trail bike. Plain and simple. They're both excellent.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeSch View Post
    From a 185 lbs guy, Hei Hei is pretty flexy too. If you end up putting nice hoops on it you will notice the thing squirm badly. Its a great XC bike, but if you aren't looking to race I'd steer towards the 134.
    This whole post is garbage. "Nice hoops" aren't flexy, they're built appropriately for the application. Tire squirm is a completely different thing and unrelated to frame flex. Tires need to be matched to both the rim and bikes intended purpose, and they need to be at the right pressure.

Don't blame the bike because you have a shit setup.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.