6pointlovin

Gear Skipping under compression

Hey, i have a 02 Stinky, which is skipping under compression. The gear set up is sweet, under load & normal riding. But when i'm nailing it in a corner/berm, or over roots/rocks & it is under compression it skips!!

Any solutions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

A few things maybe...

First check to see if there are any worn teeth on your chainrings. Check the stretch of your chain also. Are you trying to shift when hammering and compressing? Have you changed out your drivetrain since you have been riding the bike? Also it could be the cassette in the rear is worn. You will just have to trouble shoot it until you find it. Good luck.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!

Check the rear housing loop

Quote Originally Posted by deeboy
    Hey, i have a 02 Stinky, which is skipping under compression. The gear set up is sweet, under load & normal riding. But when i'm nailing it in a corner/berm, or over roots/rocks & it is under compression it skips!!

Any solutions?

Reason being, the cable stop is on the seatstay and the derailleur is attached to the chainstay assembly. As you hit bumps/rail a corner this loop's shape/angle changes (the pivot between the der. and the cable stop does this). With these changes comes slight changes in the der. cable tension hence your skipping. I had the same issue with my 02 Primo. Your loop could be a bit too long or short as well. I switched to a Rollamajig for a bit that worked, but ended up finding a happy medium housing length/tension.

Just roll it......

Without having more info....

.....here are my suggestions for what to look at. Mostly common sense things....assuming you have your limit screws and everything set up correctly.

1. Housing length might be the issue as WEBERTIME alluded near the rear derailleur. I also use a roll-a-majig to combat this (mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to take the time to try to figure out the perfect length).

2. Besides looking at the housing length near the derailleur (which may need to be lengthened), check out the length between back of the top tube and the top of the seatstay. When your rear end compresses, this housing can flex or bunch up as the seatstay approaches the seattube. As a result, I try to cut that stretch of housing as short as possible..

3. I also agree to check the chain, cassette and chainring wear. I usually change those once a year (chains 2 - 3 times a year) and that could be more pronounced in those areas.

Having that happen can be super frustrating!! A few years back, I was having the same exact thing and pretty much replaced my entire drive train before I realized my middle chainring was just completely toast.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    My solution wasn't the cheapest but the most worth while. I put on an E-13 DRS, changed the gearing to 28-38 and 11-34, shorted the derailler to a midsized cage, and went Shimano rapid rise.

The DRS holds the chain closer to the chain stay and shortenes the distance to the derailler minimizing chain movement.

The gear cominations helped alot. First off it shortened the chain so the chain didn't have lots of slack.

Shorter derailler just helps get more crisp shifting. You can also set up the cage to a tighter return, making it more able to take up any slack that happens when you go big.

Believe it or not the Rapid Rise does help also. Not to sure how or why, but it works for me lots better than the regular derailler did.

The whole idea it to get as much cable movement out of the chain for it to have minimal jumping in the gears.
    Bikeless Rider

6pointlovin
    Thanks guys, I'm off to the shop tomorrow to check the chain length & get a new cassette, those are my last two bits of the puzzle.

I run a 32 only on the front with a truvative box guide. Also run a X9 deraillier, so no need for a rollamagig thingy. And cables seem sweet.
    I think my gear is just worn now. Time to fork out for more stuff.

Thanks for you help once again.

Cheers
    Deeboy