mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Found an 04 Dawg Delux for $1649, is that a decent deal?

I was really looking for an 04 Dawg, which I could get for about $1200. I set an upper limit of $1500-ish. But the shop had a Dawg Delux and was willing to sell it for $1649. I could probably talk them down a bit more on it... maybe $1599 if I really haggle with them. Is the Delux really thaPrt much better than the Dawg. I know some of the components are better on the Delux, but I wonder if the bike is overkill for me. (moderate to mildly aggressive trail and XC riding).

Getting the Delux is a bit above my intended budget, and I realize it has some sweet components on it, but I wonder if I really NEED the upgraded parts that are on it. I mean, the Dawg seems to be pretty well equipped as well and based on the research I have done, it looks to be more than enough for my needs. But the idea of getting that great of a deal on the Delux is also tempting.

I doubt I'd really want to upgrade much, if anything on the Dawg down the road. However, you know what they say... "never say never". I dunno..... I hate to spend all that extra money, but at the same time I wonder if I don't get it now, I'll be wishing I did later on.

**Que Jeopardy theme song**

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Siberian; 01-15-2005 at 07:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian
    I was really looking for an 04 Dawg, which I could get for about $1200. I set an upper limit of $1500-ish. But the shop had a Dawg Primo and was willing to sell it for $1649. I could probably talk them down a bit more on it... maybe $1599 if I really haggle with them. Is the Primo really that much better than the Dawg. I know some of the components are better on the Primo, but I wonder if the bike is overkill for me. (moderate to mildly aggressive trail and XC riding).

Getting the Primo is a bit above my intended budget, and I realize it has some sweet components on it, but I wonder if I really NEED the upgraded parts that are on it. I mean, the Dawg seems to be pretty well equipped as well and based on the research I have done, it looks to be more than enough for my needs. But the idea of getting that great of a deal on the Primo is also tempting.

I doubt I'd really want to upgrade much, if anything on the Dawg down the road. However, you know what they say... "never say never". I dunno..... I hate to spend all that extra money, but at the same time I wonder if I don't get it now, I'll be wishing I did later on.

**Que Jeopardy theme song**

Thoughts?
    That's a no-brainer. If the frame fits buy the Dawg Primo. Simple as that. Your only real decision will be whether to swap out the dual control levers. I have the same ones on my 04 Stinky Primo. I don't mind them. Anyone who says they can't get used to them after a few runs at the local ski hill is...well...you get the point. They actually are quite intuitive with the reverse Saint r/d.

In the Great White North, the best I can do on an 04 Dawg Primo is around $3250 Cdn. The frame size is wrong so I can't buy it, so it doesn't matter.

Buy it and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    OOPS! It was a Dawg Dee-Lux, not a Primo. My mistake!

So anyway, I compared the components and, well, for the extra money, I just didn't think it was worth it, so I went with the Dawg and saved the money. I put it on layaway and will pick it up in a couple months. I know I'll be totally happy with the Dawg, and if I want to upgrade anything down the road, I can always do it if/when I break or wear something out on the Dawg. The only thing I am possibly considering upgrading right away is the rear shock. They said they'd swap it out and credit the difference towards the upgraded shock with lockout. It comes with the Fox Float R, and I am thinking about upgrading to the RL. Other than that, it is very nicely equipped and it rides very nice.

Can't wait to bring my new toy home and start riding it this spring!

rmb
    mtbr member
    I would not be concerned with the lock-out on the rear shock unless you ride some really long smooth climbs. I have the Dawg Dee Lux and I never use it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmb
    I would not be concerned with the lock-out on the rear shock unless you ride some really long smooth climbs. I have the Dawg Dee Lux and I never use it.
    I couldn't agree more. All my regular riding buddies have a rear lockout. None of them use it - ever. They all say that the once or twice that they did try it on climbs, they had some severe traction issues which were far worse than pedal bob. Then again, this is not on smooth fire road type climbs. I suppose it could be of some benefit in the real smooth stuff.

If the only difference between the shocks is a lockout (and not pro-pedal or adjustments), I would save your money. But that's just me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll just stick with the stock setup and then maybe some day if I NEED to, I'll upgrade the parts. The stock shock does have pro-pedal on it. The Delux had some other upgraded components as well, like rear XT derailler instead of LX, and the forks are Fox on the Delux, vs Marzocchi on the Dawg. The Delux is a couple pounds lighter than the Dawg, but not that much to justify the extra money. I think it will be fine. I got a great price on the Dawg and I feel pretty good about the quality of components on it.

I'll use the money I saved to get a nice helmet, camel pack, and some gloves and stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You'll love that bike. Good call on saving the $$ and getting the Dawg. I'd wait and maybe upgrade down the road. To me it's not worth it to shell out for the Float RL, or the derrailleurs. Just ride the heck out of that bike and when it's time to rebuild the rear shock send it to Push Ind. My LBS guy did this to his Dawg and said it rode great, plush and similar to a Romic. Upgrade other stuff as you wear it out. PS. the money you saved can go a long way to accessories like C-back, helmet, or possibly towards a fork down the road.

Hope you get it soon.

Pho'dUp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pho'dUp
    You'll love that bike. Good call on saving the $$ and getting the Dawg. I'd wait and maybe upgrade down the road. To me it's not worth it to shell out for the Float RL, or the derrailleurs. Just ride the heck out of that bike and when it's time to rebuild the rear shock send it to Push Ind. My LBS guy did this to his Dawg and said it rode great, plush and similar to a Romic. Upgrade other stuff as you wear it out. PS. the money you saved can go a long way to accessories like C-back, helmet, or possibly towards a fork down the road.

Hope you get it soon.

Pho'dUp.

Man I can't wait to get it. I am so psyched. I sit there every day and just marvel at the pictures of the bike in the catalog and online. I was even going to stop by the shop yesterday just to visit it. Yes... to visit my bike. LOL! Am I nuts? I guess so. Anyway, I didn't make it there cuz we got a major snow storm and I just wanted to get home safely.

The only thing I know for sure I'll need to mod when I get it is put some blue locktite on the Hayes 9 lever adjustment screws. Seems everyone has the same problem with them rattling loose during rides. I'll ask the shop tecnician about it when I pick it up, and see if maybe he'd be willing to swap the levers for something different. If not, then I'll just get the loctite.

Live 2 Ride
    If you get your levers swapped out you might have to wait a bit for the bike to be delivered. I think they have to rebleed the brakes.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    If you get your levers swapped out you might have to wait a bit for the bike to be delivered. I think they have to rebleed the brakes.
    That's not a problem at all, as I am making payments for the next couple months. If I decide to swap them, I'll just tell them well in advance of my picking up the bike.

I'll talk to them about it first and see what they say. If new levers only cost a few bucks more, I'll just do it. However if they are significantly more, then I'll take my chances with the Hayes and then if I have repeated problems, I can always take it in for service and have more leverage to ask them to upgrade them.... possibly at a lower cost. :-)

Live 2 Ride
    If you can get a sweet deal on them then get Avid Juicy brakes. They are awesome brakes. Anyways, congrats on your purchase. Enjoy it!
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/