Just roll it......

First ride report with a 66RC (170mm)

Ok, I know some folks have been asking about "whether I should get a 66 for this bike or that bike"...so I figued I'd post something about my first ride aboard the bigger version of the fork. This is really early, but I'll give my first impressions and do a couple of follow ups over the next month or two (after bashing it in North Van a few times).

Well, I sold my Super T last weekend and picked up a new 66RC (170mm version) and installed it on my '02 Stinky Primo Tuesday night. I joined a few buddies for a local XC ride last night ride and decided to bring the big bike to see how the new fork handled. As a few of the folks know, I've ridden my big bike as my do-all rig for the past year (XC epics to Whistler and the Shore) so it'd be interesting to see what this fork does to my bike. Since a knee-injury this fall, I've only been riding my Bear since I've been back on the bike.

Why get rid of my Super T? Good question. I loved that fork and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to get a Dual Crown fork. It was so plush and rock solid and, holy crap, did it boost my confidence when I was riding it. The new breed of long-travel single crowns have been getting better and better and guys are going huge on them. Additionally, I've been wanting the ability to tweak my airs a bit more and practice X-ups... As a result, I thought I'd try the new 66RC and be a guinea pig for my crew and others.

First Impressions: Wow, this fork is tall. It has to be 2" taller than my Super T and it's really choppering the hell outta my Stinky right now. I don't know how high the BB is now, but I'll guess 15"+ at first glance. Truth is, I bought this fork with a different bike in mind that's designed around a bigger fork so I expect it to not be so slack on a different bike.

Ride report: Well, as one would guess with a fork this tall, it was a bit difficult to climb with - especially with flat pedals. Thankfully, the trails we rode last night include 3-4 fireroad climbs with fast, singletrack descents. I just raised my seat up, dropped it in granny and grunted up the climbs. Same as before with the Super T, but my front end is even higher.

On the descents: The extra height and slacker angles were AWESOME and I can tell it's gonna be a blast for Whistler, the Shore, etc.. The trail last night had some flowy stretches and the fork was railing the corners and handling the small root drops with aplomb. It definitely felt as nice as the Super T and the true 20mm hub interface seemed to have a rock-solid feel. Including a small gap jump I hit a couple of times, I only used about 5 1/2" of travel last night. Of course, 'Zocchi's are notorious for a long break-in period so I'm not gonna futz with it too much until I get some more time on it and let the seals work in a bit. If I'm still having issues down the road getting full travel, I'll explore lighter springs or a bit less oil.

More to come on this I'm gonna do some trail-building tomorrow and plan to try a few jumps/drops on it tomorrow. I'll include an update with some pics from that....

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Ok, I know some folks have been asking about "whether I should get a 66 for this bike or that bike"...so I figued I'd post something about my first ride aboard the bigger version of the fork. This is really early, but I'll give my first impressions and do a couple of follow ups over the next month or two (after bashing it in North Van a few times).

Well, I sold my Super T last weekend and picked up a new 66RC (170mm version) and installed it on my '02 Stinky Primo Tuesday night. I joined a few buddies for a local XC ride last night ride and decided to bring the big bike to see how the new fork handled. As a few of the folks know, I've ridden my big bike as my do-all rig for the past year (XC epics to Whistler and the Shore) so it'd be interesting to see what this fork does to my bike. Since a knee-injury this fall, I've only been riding my Bear since I've been back on the bike.

Why get rid of my Super T? Good question. I loved that fork and would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking to get a Dual Crown fork. It was so plush and rock solid and, holy crap, did it boost my confidence when I was riding it. The new breed of long-travel single crowns have been getting better and better and guys are going huge on them. Additionally, I've been wanting the ability to tweak my airs a bit more and practice X-ups... As a result, I thought I'd try the new 66RC and be a guinea pig for my crew and others.

First Impressions: Wow, this fork is tall. It has to be 2" taller than my Super T and it's really choppering the hell outta my Stinky right now. I don't know how high the BB is now, but I'll guess 15"+ at first glance. Truth is, I bought this fork with a different bike in mind that's designed around a bigger fork so I expect it to not be so slack on a different bike.

Ride report: Well, as one would guess with a fork this tall, it was a bit difficult to climb with - especially with flat pedals. Thankfully, the trails we rode last night include 3-4 fireroad climbs with fast, singletrack descents. I just raised my seat up, dropped it in granny and grunted up the climbs. Same as before with the Super T, but my front end is even higher.

On the descents: The extra height and slacker angles were AWESOME and I can tell it's gonna be a blast for Whistler, the Shore, etc.. The trail last night had some flowy stretches and the fork was railing the corners and handling the small root drops with aplomb. It definitely felt as nice as the Super T and the true 20mm hub interface seemed to have a rock-solid feel. Including a small gap jump I hit a couple of times, I only used about 5 1/2" of travel last night. Of course, 'Zocchi's are notorious for a long break-in period so I'm not gonna futz with it too much until I get some more time on it and let the seals work in a bit. If I'm still having issues down the road getting full travel, I'll explore lighter springs or a bit less oil.

More to come on this I'm gonna do some trail-building tomorrow and plan to try a few jumps/drops on it tomorrow. I'll include an update with some pics from that....

Cheers,
    EB
    great post. go work for NSMB or MBA! i await your second report. it's both fun and altruistic to be a "guniea pig."

M

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Great Post.
    ( kinda like a tscheezy post .........lol)

So what bike were you thinking the 66 is for?
    How does the fork compare other single crown 6" forks?
    (Specially like the Z1 or the old Z150.)
    Do you miss a ETA setting on the 66?
    Might be to early for you say...........

Just roll it......

No more info yet

Thanks for the feedback, fellas!

I didn't end up riding the big bike last weekend.....XC riding was calling my name so the new fork sat home. I have just been tooling around the 7 acre park next to my house after work the last few days on the bike....it's a good way for me to exercise my dogs. Totally off topic, but that's the one downside to riding with my dogs all the time. They are in such good shape and require so much more exercise than I can humanly give them...

Ok, well, I have been hitting some small wall drops in my park and purposely landing front wheel forward (for shites and giggles) and it's rock solid. I still haven't been able to bottom this out yet - even with the worst possible technique....

DP, I'm looking at getting a VP Free this spring/summer (blasphemy on the Kona forum, I know). I really haven't ridden any of the other 'Zocchi single crowns enough to talk about how this one compares, in all honesty. Every single guy I ride with either has a Z1 or a Z150, but I usually don't ride their bikes on the trail because my frame is a small and theirs are usually too big for me and vice versa. What I can tell you is this fork, so far, feels as solid as my Super T ever did. I will reserve my final opinion on that statement until I take it out for a day of pure hucking.....the Super T is gonna be really hard to beat in my eyes.

With an ETA, this fork would be the epitome for me (I'm kinda dillusional), but I think it is too much fork for a lot of folks - primarily due to its height. Comparing the size of this fork to an '05 Z1 or the Z150 isn't really fair to either of these forks as they are, imo, built for totally different riders in mind. The Z1 is for the aggro. trailrider who also does some FR. The 66 is designed for the FR'er that might dabble in XC.....

More to come!!
    EB