Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Dedicated Kona 153 29er thread

Got my new process yesterdy! Totally stoked. Decided to make a shared thread. Most pleasant surprise was how awesome of an all-arounder this bike is. Second best surprise...

Shiny!

I have a ride review and upgrade list in the main 29er forum. Decided to start a dedicated to 153 29er thread in Kona thread too.
    Last edited by skey44; 01-21-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Updated title

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Here is mine... and i second skey44 - for the amount of travel this bike has, it's surprisingly good for an all-rounder bike. This is my only bike, so i use it for everything

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yep I've got the AL and weight aside it's a brilliant all-round bike, certainly as good as my old 153. I love the silence, too.
    Only upgrade so far is a saddle and a luftkappe in the Yari, which has made quite a difference.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-153pb.jpg

Geez, how about a photo we can see?

This is my bike's nearly completed form. Swapped the rear tire to a 2.5 Aggressor after this ride, seems like it'll complement the 3.0 DHF well. DVO Diamond fork, I9 hub laced to Sun Duroc 35 rims, Hope E4 brakes with 8 inch rotors. Should be fine.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    its photobucket - kept doing this to my pics.

BTW, what's the clearance with 2.5 29er rear? Also, what size did you use up front?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The Durocs are 32mm internal front and rear. Rear clearance is adequate, probably 5 or 6 mils at least. My rep claims they designed the bike have clearance for 2.5s on 35mm rims. The 3.0 Minion is a little round on the front, but I think itíll be just fine. The boosty Diamond is 160mm travel if thatís what youíre after.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hmmm im not sure about that ive already had some mud issues running the 2.3 minions on the wtb i29 rims in the mud, its not jammed up bot worn the paint a bit

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thatís the thing about soil composition and densities. I donít have sticky mud here, so I donít anticipate any issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good to know you can fit those size tires on this bike. I don't have mud issues in this area either (CT), so might do this in the future when the stock tires are ready for a change.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sorry Photobucket, I am not going to pay to have my pics shared 😐 Any suggestions on another freephoto sharing app?

Noted tiny bottle on al/dl above.
    LBS had to "customize" a side entry bottle cage for it to ride low enough on my L frame to fit a 20 oz bottle with no top tube rub. Specialized zee cage was a no go. Salsa alloy side load cage was easy enough to modify, but interesting how tight bottle area is. Recommend trying cage before you buy. 650b process has plenty of room for 24 oz bottle in same size frame. No such luxury for 29er.

Also researching wheel upgrades. Choices so far:
    I9 enduro 305
    I9 torch hubs dt Swiss rims
    dt 350 hubs (36t) dt Swiss rims
    dt 350 hubs (36t) spank oozy trail 345 rims

As far as which dt rims between ex511 or xm481 set. Could also do ex511 rear with xm481 front.
    Have weight differences listed for all the rim combinations vs stock. Range from -26 grams for ex511 pair to -116g for xm 481 pair. Spank rim is in between weight of the two dt options, possibly the "goldilocks" option. My local builder also recommends the spank vs dt as he believes the dt options are either too heavy and ready for full downhill abuse or slightly flimsy. If I go the non-system option will probably run one of the butted/bladed spoke options out there as this seems a reasonable place to lose weight with little penalty besides cost.

I have had I9 wheels for the last three years and love almost everything about them, but the silence of the stock ride is so nice, hence dt hubs creeping into the equation. Budget wise the dt Swiss hub is also pretty nice, expecially compared to full i9 build.

Open for wheel choice input or suggestions. I realize with this style of bike weight savings are not the most important thing in a wheel upgrade, but losing some rotational weight in the rim would be appreciated as long as it remains durable/stiff enough.

For helping with wheel decision I weigh 200 lbs, ride 2-3 enduro races a year. Weekly rides in pisgah, with increasing speeds and skill over the last few years. I do also ride cross country style areas 25% of my rides. I previously was on NOX teocalli (would consider NOX again but budget prohibits right now) with I9 hubs and aluminum spokes after folding rim bead of i9 trail rim in a race. I am generally not too hard on equipment, but with this bike's capacity I imagine more stress will be put on the rims.

I would be riding my new bike in Pisgah today instead of dreaming of upgrades, but I'm down and out with a nasty rhinovirus 😷

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I dented and put a flat spot in my i29's pretty quickly. For quiet hubs, hows about Onyx or Project 321? I'm waiting on some spokes to build WTB Asym's on DT350(54 tooth ratchet).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good point with asym since that's what came on my bike and is a stout rim if a bit portly. Probably not wise to switch out for ex 511 when you make that point considering negligible weight difference. My wheel builder recommended this as an alternative as well.
    Onyx and 321 hubs look nice.
    Will have to compare attributes to i9 and dt. I could also only replace rear hub, but funky colors wouldn't match and if I pay that much, funky colors are a must so my friends know it's nice... since sound won't tell them 🙄
    Slightly worried on durability and increased noise with 54t dt. Then I'll have a slightly noisy, less reliable engagement mech. Just regurgitating forum info here, so correct me if I'm wrong.
    On another note my i9 were always quiet after a good pawl lube with dumonde tech freehub oil for a dozen or so rides. Literally an audible alarm for maintenance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like how Kona allowed many things on the al/dl build to be upgraded without completely changing out components. Can upgrade wheels by re-lacing with quality hub/spokes, brakes with rs or rsc lever, and fork with charger damper. I see what you did there Kona, nice.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammertime View Post
    I dented and put a flat spot in my i29's pretty quickly. For quiet hubs, hows about Onyx or Project 321? I'm waiting on some spokes to build WTB Asym's on DT350(54 tooth ratchet).
    That's pretty impressive, the WTB Asym i29 is a pretty stout rim. They've held up nicely to the abuse I've given them... That being said, any alloy rim can be bent given the correct situation.

I'd argue the DT Swiss EX511 is likely going to end up the rim to beat. It's essentially a 5mm wider version of the EX471, which is basically at legendary status.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...ex-511-review/
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by skey44 View Post
    I like how Kona allowed many things on the al/dl build to be upgraded without completely changing out components. Can upgrade wheels by re-lacing with quality hub/spokes, brakes with rs or rsc lever, and fork with charger damper. I see what you did there Kona, nice.
    Agreed. The Process 153 is a great platform to build on! Too bad it doesn't have a threaded BB. Do we know if a piggy back shock will fit in the 29er frames?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looking at it, there should be room for a reservoir shock.
    Last edited by skey44; 12-18-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You'll easily get a piggy back in there, not tried a bottle yet.

Im also looking to upgrade the (very heavy) wheels

Flow MK3 on dt240s are a good weight saving option, I'd like to go light bicycle on dt240 as they were great on my old 153, but pricey!.

Also considering the novyparts or fast damper upgrade for the Yari (luftkappe has been great but moco isn't as good as charger in my old pikes)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Last bike was PF 92 bb. I gave up on 30mm spindle cranks and never had any more issues.

A little more hub research has landed me back between I9 and DT 350.

I9 positives:
    reliable
    high poe
    attractive
    tried, true, and local to me

I9 negatives:
    loud
    top of budget

DT 350 positives:
    budget oriented
    reliable
    quiet

DT 350 negatives:
    low poe
    utilitarian looks not my favorite
    not local

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Pf92 on my old process was fine.
    Went for a works components screw together one last time and it was great, I'll get another one when this one dies

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post

Also considering the novyparts or fast damper upgrade for the Yari (luftkappe has been great but moco isn't as good as charger in my old pikes)
    I'm considering buying a Lyrik charger damper to drop in my Yari.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Last bike was PF 92 bb. I gave up on 30mm spindle cranks and never had any more issues.

A little more hub research has landed me back between I9 and DT 350.

I9 positives:
    reliable
    high poe
    attractive
    tried, true, and local to me

I9 negatives:
    loud
    top of budget

DT 350 positives:
    budget oriented
    reliable
    quiet

DT 350 negatives:
    low poe
    utilitarian looks not my favorite
    not local
    I was in the same boat - with a set of I9's for our Hei Hei. I went with the DT's just because I found a new hub with the 54 ratchet already installed on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Has anyone looked inside the rear shock to see if it has any volume reducers?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've ordered a set of three volume spacers, they should arrive after christmas. Hopefully they solve my problem with the linear travel, if there's already a full set inside the Deluxe I'll have to find DVO Topaz somewhere.

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-rockshox-volumenspacer-kit-fuer-deluxe-super-deluxe-universal-universal-55020-181314-1494593006.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis-FIN View Post
    I've ordered a set of three volume spacers, they should arrive after christmas. Hopefully they solve my problem with the linear travel, if there's already a full set inside the Deluxe I'll have to find DVO Topaz somewhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockShox-Volumenspacer-Kit-fuer-Deluxe-Super-Deluxe-universal-universal-55020-181314-1494593006.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	1173142
    The Topaz is the one thing I'm still waiting on. Ronnie at DVO told me "soon" when I asked about availability of their trunnion shocks. As long as "soon" means "by spring," I'll be happy. The Deluxe is fine, but matchy-matchy, ya' know. And the performance upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I haven't really gotten to ride my new Process a lot so far because of a flu like virus, lots of family for the holidays, and now this cold blast in the southeastern US we are not prepared to ride in.
    So far I would call the ride planted and begging to let off the brakes. I'm not quite accustomed to the sram brake feel yet, but I prefer it so far over my old XT's. I just tend to slow the bike down a lot more before corners than I planned, because of the unfamiliarity and surprising stopping power (larger front rotor than previous, new brake combo?). When you hit a corner right it gives you a pro feeling with thoughts like... I meant to do that, that corner went by fast, or whoo hoo. The bike will turn really fast and offer support and traction if you are willing to let go of the brakes. Can't wait to get more of that feeling on some gnarlier stuff. Another thing I have noted is some difficulty adjusting to the 170mm dropper. I am coming from a 125mm dropper, and a few times so far felt unbalanced because the seat was too low and I needed the seat a little higher in order to get a couple of pedal strokes in or a really short climb in the middle of a DH. Now I've learned not to go quite to the bottom with the dropper, and I seem to be getting used to it.
    Overall I just want to ride more than I have been able to lately, but I'm very pleased with the bike at this stage.

Placing my wheel order today. Drumroll please....

Purple I9 Torch Classic ISO 6 bolt
    Spank Oozy Trail 345
    DT competition spokes, alloy nipples.

Looking forward to building them up myself, and getting some more miles in on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I haven't really gotten to ride my new Process a lot so far because of a flu like virus, lots of family for the holidays, and now this cold blast in the southeastern US we are not prepared to ride in.
    So far I would call the ride planted and begging to let off the brakes. I'm not quite accustomed to the sram brake feel yet, but I prefer it so far over my old XT's. I just tend to slow the bike down a lot more before corners than I planned, because of the unfamiliarity and surprising stopping power (larger front rotor than previous, new brake combo?). When you hit a corner right it gives you a pro feeling with thoughts like... I meant to do that, that corner went by fast, or whoo hoo. The bike will turn really fast and offer support and traction if you are willing to let go of the brakes. Can't wait to get more of that feeling on some gnarlier stuff. Another thing I have noted is some difficulty adjusting to the 170mm dropper. I am coming from a 125mm dropper, and a few times so far felt unbalanced because the seat was too low and I needed the seat a little higher in order to get a couple of pedal strokes in or a really short climb in the middle of a DH. Now I've learned not to go quite to the bottom with the dropper, and I seem to be getting used to it.
    Overall I just want to ride more than I have been able to lately, but I'm very pleased with the bike at this stage.

Placing my wheel order today. Drumroll please....

Purple I9 Torch Classic ISO 6 bolt
    Spank Oozy Trail 345
    DT competition spokes, alloy nipples.

Looking forward to building them up myself, and getting some more miles in on the bike.

Ive ditched the Level Ts on mine, they weret too bad but, inconsistent on descents, Hopes are 4 pot so cope better & a fair bit lighter.

Be a while before I can afford a lighter wheelset, but I think a novyparts splug for the Yari will be my next upgrade

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Went on another local Paris Mointain ride yesterday. Added air pressure all around in shock, fork, and tires. Made for a much peppier ride which was appreciated on my local trails. Still felt glued to the trail in a good way as long as I kept the speed up. Finding more and more this bike likes to be pushed hard, and I'm having lots of fun exploring this ride style.

Brevard area Pisgah group ride scheduled for Sunday afternoon. Hope the weather holds up. Wheels should be in next week to start building.
    Will update from the more challenging trails to come.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hi Guys

Heres a video of a young Local fellow at the Christchurch(NZ) Adventure Bike park which has only just opened after the large fire on the port hills.

Bike is the base model AL/29'er with a few upgrades,fox 36's,upgraded wheels,brakes etc.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483204/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane.G.M View Post
    Hi Guys

Heres a video of a young Local fellow at the Christchurch(NZ) Adventure Bike park which has only just opened after the large fire on the port hills.

Bike is the base model AL/29'er with a few upgrades,fox 36's,upgraded wheels,brakes etc.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/483204/
    I have hemisphere envy, mines only seen mud, not dust!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Does anyone have a line on super tiny water bottles? I have a size medium frame and have not had any luck finding a small enough bottle with a narrow enough top. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Mine (XL Al/DL) came with 2 spacers installed. Looks like it might be able to take up to 5.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Duder View Post
    Does anyone have a line on super tiny water bottles? I have a size medium frame and have not had any luck finding a small enough bottle with a narrow enough top. Thanks for the help!
    On of my riding buddies added some water bottle mounts to his frame and runs kids water bottles (from Contigo, I think.) They're about 12 or 14 oz each. I'd take my water bottle cage to a Babys R Us or something similar to make sure the diameter is about what you need.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    For anyone interested, I swapped out the RS Deluxe shock (205x60mm Metric Trunnion) for a Fox DPX2 (205x62.5mm Metric Trunnion.) My plan wasn't to long-shock the Process, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up on the DPX2 so I bought it. I wasn't 100% certain that the longer shock would fit the frame but I let all of the air out, put some modeling clay (okay, it was play-doh - I have a 2yr old daughter) between the rocker and the seat tube and then bounced up an down on it. It has about 4mm of clearance when the bump stop compresses.

Here's a look: https://imgur.com/zWVNfEG

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNateDude View Post
    For anyone interested, I swapped out the RS Deluxe shock (205x60mm Metric Trunnion) for a Fox DPX2 (205x62.5mm Metric Trunnion.) My plan wasn't to long-shock the Process, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up on the DPX2 so I bought it. I wasn't 100% certain that the longer shock would fit the frame but I let all of the air out, put some modeling clay (okay, it was play-doh - I have a 2yr old daughter) between the rocker and the seat tube and then bounced up an down on it. It has about 4mm of clearance when the bump stop compresses.

damn! think I saw one of those on ebay but didnt risk it, monarch rt is fine but be interesting to hear how the dpx goes.

Im still getting an splug for my yari

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatNateDude View Post
    For anyone interested, I swapped out the RS Deluxe shock (205x60mm Metric Trunnion) for a Fox DPX2 (205x62.5mm Metric Trunnion.) s.

I'd like to read what you think of the Fox DPX as well. I'm looking at a $200 rebuild for my RT; or considering replacing it with a new DPS for my 'old' 134.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I'd like to read what you think of the Fox DPX as well. I'm looking at $200 rebuild for my RT and considering the DPS for my 'old' 134.
    Just one ride on it so far but I can tell you it's definitely an improvement. The pedaling platform going uphill feels good - the bike rides a little higher/more level in its travel but somehow still feels supple when going over rocks, ledges, etc. Also feels better downhill - just more traction than it had before, like the shock can respond faster to damping tasks. On the Deluxe, the bike would get pretty nervous in stuttery braking bumps or small to medium hits that come very rapidly but the DPX is more composed. I felt more confident getting the bike into corners, making my corner speed higher.

I can't say much about the big hit performance of it because there weren't any big hits on the trails I rode but the jumps I did hit felt pretty good/balanced - didn't do anything weird. I probably only used about 55mm of the 62.5mm shock travel so I couldn't say anything about the added rear wheel travel. I doubt I will really notice anyway.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Thought Iíd just put this here. 29Ē wheels and fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Nice! I've suspected that the rear triangles are the same for both bikes but wasn't really sure. What size tire is that and how's the clearance?

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Itís a Maxxis Minion SS 2.35 on an Ibis 941 rim.

Hereís clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    That looks similar to the clearance I had w. a 29x2.4 Minion DHR2 on the stock i29 rim.
    I'm now running a 29x2.5WT Aggressor on that stock rim and it's a little tighter than what you have.

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Oh, size XL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fleanutz View Post
    Oh, size XL.

I like big tires and I cannot lie

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    Put a 30mm stem on to replace the 50, big difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not sure about that colour scheme!
    Interested to see how much it weighs, loving my 15329, it's ridiculously fast, but those big heavy wheels are going soon !

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Not sure about that colour scheme!
    Interested to see how much it weighs, loving my 15329, it's ridiculously fast, but those big heavy wheels are going soon !
    I put a pair of SC Reserve 30s on mine (153 29) after the stock hub crapped out (shocking, I know - those Formulas are so good... /s) They really feel great and my LBS gave me 20% off in consideration of my broken 4 month old hub.

mtbr member
    Wow, I demoed a 153 29 last weekend and it was a LOT of fun.If I didn't have a deposit on another bike I'd be looking at the 153 29 carbon right now....
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    At the UK national endruro series and I can honestly say in the big hills this bike is awesome.

I won't be challenging Brycleand & co for the podium! But I couldn't be more pleased, the bike is handling some of the toughest trails in the UK better than my old g1 Process.

& The upgraded novyparts damper in the Yari is also brilliant

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Went to Italy & Switzerland mountain biking, Process saved my ass several times there, some descents are steep and felt virtually endless there.

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-img_0965.jpg

Better to start from the snow, longer descent ahead =)

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-img_1002.jpg

Rocks belong
    I would like a large 153 29.

Longer ETT and reach than my 2017 RIP9 alloy... but the Process has shorter chainstays, so the wheelbase is the same as my current bike.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have info on the colors for the 2019 AL/DL. really like the Bone and Black on the CR but was only going that route if the AL colors sucked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    anyone put 40mm rims in theirs?

clearance looks tight, but...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Another clearance question- does a 2.5 WT aggressor have clearance in the rear on a 30mm is rim?
    Loving the bike. Setting a lot of PR's on downhills 👍

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm running a 2.5WT Aggressor on a 30mm internal SC Reserve wheel. It fits but barely. The clearance at the seatstay bridge is okay but the chainstay bridge is only about 1/8". It works in the typical dry powder conditions I ride in (Orange County, CA) but if gets wet at all it's like dragging a plow around.
    To put it another way, I'm not buying another 2.5 tire for the rear of that bike - it's getting a 2.3.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I agree, think I'll stick with my 2.3 DHF then 👍

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    It's new bike time for me, coming off an 08 spesh pitch with a 160 van 36 up front and a marz coil in the back. Aka it can plow but is hefty and climbs slow...

Looking for a more pedable tank that's a bit lighter. Probably getting an 18 base or the do not sure if I can swing the $... But am a little concerned about the level t brakes.... Does anyone know if the base model still gets a 150mm dropper in large? I think I heard the dls do....

The other bike I'm thinking is a banshee prime.. a little shorter legged, maybe a touch lighter...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rclugnut View Post
    It's new bike time for me, coming off an 08 spesh pitch with a 160 van 36 up front and a marz coil in the back. Aka it can plow but is hefty and climbs slow...

Looking for a more pedable tank that's a bit lighter. Probably getting an 18 base or the do not sure if I can swing the $... But am a little concerned about the level t brakes.... Does anyone know if the base model still gets a 150mm dropper in large? I think I heard the dls do....

The other bike I'm thinking is a banshee prime.. a little shorter legged, maybe a touch lighter...
    I have the base AL 29" version (black one from 2018) that comes with Level T. For now, it's "good enough" even for light duty bike park. i did several days at Highland park and it held up ok with fading toward end of day. Granted, i don't go crazy at the park and only do mostly blue trail (none of the black diamond yet) - just to give you an idea. Planning on replacing it with hope tech e4 next year.

On dropper, i would think at least 150mm on Large. Mine is XL and came with 170mm dropper.

If you go with the 2019 AL model, i believe they upgraded the brakes to Guide T, which has 4 pistons.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    I have the base AL 29" version (black one from 2018) that comes with Level T. For now, it's "good enough" even for light duty bike park. i did several days at Highland park and it held up ok with fading toward end of day. Granted, i don't go crazy at the park and only do mostly blue trail (none of the black diamond yet) - just to give you an idea. Planning on replacing it with hope tech e4 next year.

On dropper, i would think at least 150mm on Large. Mine is XL and came with 170mm dropper.

If you go with the 2019 AL model, i believe they upgraded the brakes to Guide T, which has 4 pistons.
    Thanks that's good to hear about the levels, I'm over in Waterbury area in VT and hit sugarbush and Killington a few times a season, blacks and the odd double, so probably would be swapping those out.

The 19s do have the guides which is sweet, my shop said they may dropping $ on the 18s which may leave me ahead even after new brakes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Definitely get the 18 model if the price drop is significant. Minor changes from 18 to 19, mainly different brake and wider front tire (2.5WT vs. 2.3 on 18). If it's only $100 or so difference, i say get the 19 model. That green color on 19 is starting to grow on me
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    2018 model was missing a trick- should definitely have come with a 2.5 tyre up front, that along with 4 pot brakes.
    Level Ts were fine but not as consistent as 4 pots

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well Ive stuck some Mavic XA elite wheels on

half a kilo lighter than the WTB/formula stock wheels
    Bike still just over 15kg though

sadly Ive only had a short ride round the block as the clutch has gone on my rear mech. But they do feel quicker to spin up already

Mechs off at sram to be warrantied, dissapointed as I like the feel of the latest SRAM stuff, but SRAM stuff always fails on me
    think Ill be switching to shimano again!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well Ive stuck some Mavic XA elite wheels on

half a kilo lighter than the WTB/formula stock wheels
    Bike still just over 15kg though

sadly Ive only had a short ride round the block as the clutch has gone on my rear mech. But they do feel quicker to spin up already

Mechs off at sram to be warrantied, dissapointed as I like the feel of the latest SRAM stuff, but SRAM stuff always fails on me
    think Ill be switching to shimano again!
    My NX is still running strong after a year of riding, even with chipped mech body due it "kissing" one too many rocks. Hopefully mine will have better luck Actually planning on replacing it with GX mech when i get my new wheels and hubs next year.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member

My 2019 153 CR/DL 29.

And here's mine, just picked her up Friday. Added Renthal Carbon Bars and an Apex 33Mm. stem Chromag grips, Mrp Ramp control, Mrp Bash guard and chain guide. Wah Wah 2 Alloy pedals and raceface crank boots. Icetech rotors and Allmountainstyle clear frame protectors and 2 spacers in rear shock. Elite bottle cage. Mucky nutz fender.
    Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-img_20181006_094225_565.jpgDedicated Kona 153 29er forum-resized_20181005_145714_2520.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    And here's mine, just picked her up Friday. Added Renthal Carbon Bars and an Apex 33Mm. stem Chromag grips, Mrp Ramp control, Mrp Bash guard and chain guide. Wah Wah 2 Alloy pedals and raceface crank boots. Icetech rotors and Allmountainstyle clear frame protectors and 2 spacers in rear shock. Elite bottle cage. Mucky nutz fender.

Name:	IMG_20181006_094225_565.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	1219717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20181005_145714_2520.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	1219718
    Nice - congrats on the new bike. A couple of questions for you:
    - Crank boots - are you experiencing "rub" with wah wah 2 pedals? i took off mine because the clearance between the wah wah 2 pedals and crank arm is pretty tight. I might put it back if it works great...
    - 33mm Apex stem - can you tell the difference between this stem and the stock 40mm stem that came with the bike? (stock i believe is 40mm stem with 780 bar)
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks, liking this way more than my 2018 Hightower. as for the Crank boots, They opened the holes just a little and added a small spacer when installing the pedals, work great now.
    as for the Stem, I never tried the stock one, I ordered the bike with this one on it but, I doubt you would notice that small of a difference between the stems unless you are stretched out with the 40mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Name:	IMG_20181006_094225_565.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	1219717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20181005_145714_2520.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	1219718
    Look fast just sitting still! Sweet whip.

mtbr member
    Thank you sir, I'm proud of this girl

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    And here's mine, just picked her up Friday. Added Renthal Carbon Bars and an Apex 33Mm. stem
    I actually went the other way and put a 50mm stem on my 27.5 CR. Let us know how you go with front end control? Mine washed a lot with the 40mm but in retrospect I think I had my fork rebound set too fast. Should have tried that before going the 50mm maybe.

loud hubs save lives
    Thanks, liking this way more than my 2018 Hightower. as for the Crank boots, They opened the holes just a little and added a small spacer when installing the pedals, work great now.
    as for the Stem, I never tried the stock one, I ordered the bike with this one on it but, I doubt you would notice that small of a difference between the stems unless you are stretched out with the 40mm.
    Any idea of a weight on your build?

I have similar parts and will be looking for a frame closer to spring.

Impending mid travel process, rm instinct, Hightower, evil offering are all contenders

Iíve demod a 153 & Hightower LT, but would probably go with a shorter version. Going to a RM demo day in a week and hopefully will get to try an evil next month.

mtbr member
    Sorry, no Idea on weight, as I do not concern myself with such, I figure if a bike weighs a bit more, as I ride it will just get me in better shape. I always figured, if you want to save a little weight, don't supersize those fries. hahahaha. I am a big guy and am more concerned with a strong bike vs. a light one but, I will tell you this, just from picking them up to put in my truck, the Process is lighter than my Hightower. but, at the same time feels more stable during the ride.

loud hubs save lives
    Sorry, no Idea on weight, as I do not concern myself with such, I figure if a bike weighs a bit more, as I ride it will just get me in better shape. I always figured, if you want to save a little weight, don't supersize those fries. hahahaha. I am a big guy and am more concerned with a strong bike vs. a light one but, I will tell you this, just from picking them up to put in my truck, the Process is lighter than my Hightower. but, at the same time feels more stable during the ride.
    I feel that. Asking because my 111 is under 31 with a sturdy build, but i canít see myself paying for a carbon frame that ends up heavier than the 111. I have no hesitation sending down any trails Iíve been on in the southeast in its current configuration.

153 demo felt like a monster downhill, but i definitely felt itís weight going back up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    I actually went the other way and put a 50mm stem on my 27.5 CR. Let us know how you go with front end control? Mine washed a lot with the 40mm but in retrospect I think I had my fork rebound set too fast. Should have tried that before going the 50mm maybe.
    I have the 29er with stock 40mm stem and with no spacer above the stem and my saddle all the way forward (XL size), my front end feels planted on turns and didn't wander during steep climb.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    I feel that. Asking because my 111 is under 31 with a sturdy build, but i canít see myself paying for a carbon frame that ends up heavier than the 111. I have no hesitation sending down any trails Iíve been on in the southeast in its current configuration.

153 demo felt like a monster downhill, but i definitely felt itís weight going back up.
    I understand, I don't have issue with that, being an Ex powerlifter most climbs don't bother me. 153 stays planted and does not lift the front like my Hightower. just an all round sweet ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm on a large carbon, CR, carbon wheels, cranks, bars, pretty high end build, still 31.5 lbs with pedals. Bike is fast and planted, I don't actually really notice the weight. Last bike was a RM Altitude, 28 lbs.

loud hubs save lives
    The CR demo i rode had the stock wheels and double DHFs, so that probably attributed to some of the feeling.

HTLT had carbon reserves and DHF/DHR WT tires.

mtbr member

southeast? what area are you in? Montgomery Alabama here.

loud hubs save lives
    southeast? what area are you in? Montgomery Alabama here.
    Central North Carolina .. get to Pisgah a couple times a year. Otherwise here in the triangle with my fair share of rocks/roots and not a lot of elevation.

mtbr member
    Central North Carolina .. get to Pisgah a couple times a year. Otherwise here in the triangle with my fair share of rocks/roots and not a lot of elevation.
    Ah, I was hoping you were close so that we might ride, oh well. just a thought

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How are you all liking your Process 153 29ers after some miles on them? I've got this bike on my list of potentials. I looked at a '19 AL/DL at a shop the other day. How large of a tire are you able to fit on the rear? I would like to be able to at least fit a 2.35 Schwalbe Magic Mary, usually they measure about 2.5. Any issues you've run into or things you aren't liking about it. I would like to use it for an all around bike with some shuttle and park duty occasionally but mostly pedal up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    How are you all liking your Process 153 29ers after some miles on them? I've got this bike on my list of potentials. I looked at a '19 AL/DL at a shop the other day. How large of a tire are you able to fit on the rear? I would like to be able to at least fit a 2.35 Schwalbe Magic Mary, usually they measure about 2.5. Any issues you've run into or things you aren't liking about it. I would like to use it for an all around bike with some shuttle and park duty occasionally but mostly pedal up.
    i've now had this bike for a year, with riding both local trail (southern CT) and bike park (Highland Park). It's an awesome bike and i don't feel overbiked on local trail (lots of rock chunks and roots). I never touch the rear lock out either on climbs. For perspective, i only ride Highland 5-6 times a year.

On rear tire, i have 2.35 DHF and it's already kinda tight in terms of "tire height". Width wise, you might be able to go to 2.5 - others can chime in on it. My plan is to keep 2.35 and use 2.5 DHF wide trail up front. I don't see a need to go "thicker" in the rear.

Lastly, in terms of what i don't like..... i can't think any after a year of use. Hope that helps.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    I'm on a 2018 AL/DL (27.5) in XL frame...been on it for about 8 months and well over 1K miles. Came with 2.5 front/2.3 rear Minion DHF's. Ride tight/boney CT singletrack so I went with the 27.5's. Love this thing...climbs great for a big bike and is a great all-rounder. Out of the box I had to throw 40mm riser bars on it and added a MRP XCg (V2) bash guard.

I plan to ditch the GX Eagle 12spd soon. It's a debris magnet because cage hangs so low to ground and it sucks in sticks. I will go to a std 11spd Shimano setup next time I roast a $110 GX derailleur.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post

I plan to ditch the GX Eagle 12spd soon. It's a debris magnet because cage hangs so low to ground and it sucks in sticks. I will go to a std 11spd Shimano setup next time I roast a $110 GX derailleur.
    That may be less of an issue on the 29er, I would happily stick with SRAM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Lastly, in terms of what i don't like..... i can't think any after a year of use. Hope that helps.
    That's good to hear. I would plan to use it mostly trail riding but like you a few bike park trips a year. I like Magic Marys so I was curious if anyone had fit them on the rear of one of these.

Have the suspension pivots and bearings been problematic for anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    At 1,250 miles, mine's still working well for me. It's a little heavy (34.5 lbs - XL Aluminum frame) and all of the suspension pivots have needed to be retightened and locktited (but I've only had 1 screw fall all the way out so far.)
    As far as tires, I ran a 2.5 Aggressor on my 30mm SC Reserve wheels and the clearance is too tight at the chainstay bridge. It clears, but any kind of sticky dirt and it's just grinding away. I'm running a 2.3 High Roller II now and it's better but still a tight fit. These frames just don't have much tire clearance - the 27.5 frame is much better in this regard.
    It's a pretty short list of quibbles for the mileage though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Im only up to 600k since I got mine (29er AL) last year, family comittments have meant its been tough getting out & Ive barely raced at all, gotta sort that for 2019!

The bike was heavy as stock, the sram brakes were swapped for much better Hopes, NX rear mech failed 6 weeks ago (still waiting on a warranty replacement!) So its now XT 11-46 which has beeen great.
    Renthal carbon bars & lighter saddle for a bit of weight saving.
    Luftkappe & Novyparts Damper -big difference to the Yari! & an extra spacer in the rear shock as I was bottoming out too often.
    Mavic XA Elite Wheels have made the biggest difference, knocked over 1/2 a kg off the bike and made it much livlier ride; accelerates quicker, turns quicker.
    Trans-X dropper has been surprisningly good (with a bontrager remote) but its starting to loose pressure, so Im going to get it warrantied.
    2.3 is biggest you want out the back if its muddy, wider stickier rubber up front has been good too (E13 trs)

coming from a 2014 153 its faster up & down & just eats up technical terrain

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-img_20180919_212141358.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I admit it, I have a problem. A weakness rather, I can't get enough bikes. So here's the deal, rented a Process 153 27 in CO, fell in love with the long beast. Want to do rougher stuff now. I have a Process 111 and YT Jeffsy 27, but the 153 just ate up the rough stuff, was so stable. Now normally I prefer 29'er, starting to come around to really have an appreciation for the Jeffsy after owning it a few months, but it had to grow on me a bit. Here is my thing, never ridden the 153 in the 29, what made you get the 29 over the 27? I want it for its stability on the downhill stuff, which route would you go? Can't find a demo anywhere near me. The 27 in the 153 felt like it rolled as good as a 29, if I hadn't known better would have sworn I was on a 29. Thoughts? I am between sizes, L and XL, rented the XL. I have a buddy that made me a killer price on a Specialized Enduro Elite, but its a L and I really don't want a carbon bike, should I give it a hard look, too? Doesn't seem to be nearly as long and not so sure about the Ohlins fork (can't believe I am saying that as much love as I had for them when I was into motorcycles). TIA

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kendunn View Post
    I admit it, I have a problem. A weakness rather, I can't get enough bikes. So here's the deal, rented a Process 153 27 in CO, fell in love with the long beast. Want to do rougher stuff now. I have a Process 111 and YT Jeffsy 27, but the 153 just ate up the rough stuff, was so stable. Now normally I prefer 29'er, starting to come around to really have an appreciation for the Jeffsy after owning it a few months, but it had to grow on me a bit. Here is my thing, never ridden the 153 in the 29, what made you get the 29 over the 27? I want it for its stability on the downhill stuff, which route would you go? Can't find a demo anywhere near me. The 27 in the 153 felt like it rolled as good as a 29, if I hadn't known better would have sworn I was on a 29. Thoughts? I am between sizes, L and XL, rented the XL. I have a buddy that made me a killer price on a Specialized Enduro Elite, but its a L and I really don't want a carbon bike, should I give it a hard look, too? Doesn't seem to be nearly as long and not so sure about the Ohlins fork (can't believe I am saying that as much love as I had for them when I was into motorcycles). TIA
    For Stability, i would think 29 would be the better option. I've never ridden the 27 version. With the chunky and rooty nature of my local trails here in New England, i immediately went with the 29 version and didn't regret it.

On sizing, i'm just a smidge under 6'2 and on XL size. With my saddle all the way forward, the fit feels great, both seated and standing. I parking-lot tested a large version and felt that when i'm out of the saddle, it's a tad (just a tad) crowded. Hope that helps.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    For Stability, i would think 29 would be the better option. I've never ridden the 27 version. With the chunky and rooty nature of my local trails here in New England, i immediately went with the 29 version and didn't regret it.

On sizing, i'm just a smidge under 6'2 and on XL size. With my saddle all the way forward, the fit feels great, both seated and standing. I parking-lot tested a large version and felt that when i'm out of the saddle, it's a tad (just a tad) crowded. Hope that helps.
    Thanks, it does help. Where I ride in the Middle Appalachians it gets pretty rocky and rooty, too! I am 6'1" but long in the back/short legs so I usually size up and lower the seat and it works. I sure loved how the rental felt, even with the basic Aion fork I thought it was great (not that I have anything against Suntour forks, I have the RC2 Auron on my 111 and very pleased)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Mine comes with Yari (AL model) and for my current skill level, it's good enough for both trail riding and DH bike park. I highly doubt i can feel the difference between Yari and lyric at this point....
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The Yari and Lyrik share the same chassis - for about $215 from Worldwide Cyclery you can get a Charger2 RCT3 damper that will completely transform that fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kendunn View Post
    Now normally I prefer 29'er, starting to come around to really have an appreciation for the Jeffsy after owning it a few months, but it had to grow on me a bit. Here is my thing, never ridden the 153 in the 29, what made you get the 29 over the 27? I want it for its stability on the downhill stuff, which route would you go? Can't find a demo anywhere near me. The 27 in the 153 felt like it rolled as good as a 29, if I hadn't known better would have sworn I was on a 29. Thoughts? I am between sizes, L and XL, rented the XL.
    Sounds like you really liked the 27.5...unless you can find a 29 to demo only you can decide. I have no regrets on the 27.5 but like you, never tried a 29 so who knows...maybe I would like it even more. I can say the 27.5 in XL is a great all round bike for terrain I ride which is more tight/technical than fast/flowy. But there are some good downhill rips here and there and it rocks...very stable and super fun.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Yep, depending on the terrain you ride most. Myself, I ride a 27 plus. for days that I ride slower tight tech stuff and my 153 29ers on days I want to do the faster flowing / downhill type of riding. Right tool for the job type of thing. But, I haven't ridden the 153 27 bike, might be a great do it all bike. Let us know which way you go and post pix

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mike levy in reply to my question said that upgrading my rockshox deluxe to a piggyback shock wouldn't make much difference, but I saw a cheap dpx2 on pinkbike & bought it anyway, it's from a transition patrol, so need to get stroke reduced by fox (£40) but they have v similar linkage rates so shouldn't need a retune

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Review on Bikeradar today. They said the front end had a tendency to wipe out. A fork issue perhaps?

mtbr member
    Strange, mine tracks like it's on Rails, much better than my Hightower
    " What do you want for yourself?"

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR/DL 29

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yep, depending on the terrain you ride most. Myself, I ride a 27 plus. for days that I ride slower tight tech stuff and my 153 29ers on days I want to do the faster flowing / downhill type of riding. Right tool for the job type of thing. But, I haven't ridden the 153 27 bike, might be a great do it all bike. Let us know which way you go and post pix
    A buddy of mine had an 18 Specialized Enduro Elite and made me a totally unbelievable deal on it so I went that way. The Enduro may be a bit better when it gets really rough, but I remember the 153 being a little less pedally and more precise, but hey, when I was on the Kona I was on an epic trip through Colorado so it may have clouded my memories!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Mike levy in reply to my question said that upgrading my rockshox deluxe to a piggyback shock wouldn't make much difference, but I saw a cheap dpx2 on pinkbike & bought it anyway, it's from a transition patrol, so need to get stroke reduced by fox (£40) but they have v similar linkage rates so shouldn't need a retune
    I went from a Deluxe RT to a DPX2 and won't change back (kept the RT for an emergency spare). I saw Levy's comment and was surprised by it - the bike they tested had the piggyback Deluxe so maybe some wires were crossed? I found the RT very hard to get feeling "right"

Quote Originally Posted by hambocairns View Post
    Review on Bikeradar today. They said the front end had a tendency to wipe out. A fork issue perhaps?
    I had a few bad front end wipeouts on my 27.5 when I first got it. Defintiely didn't corner as well as the old Patrol it replaced. Once I replaced the stock tyres everything got a lot better (and I'm a minion fanboy from way back).

*edit* that review says 760mm bar 50mm stem stock? My 27.5 came with a 780 bar and 40mm stem. Weird

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Is the shock a 65 or a 62.5? I put a 62.5 DPX2 on mine and it has plenty of room - not sure about a 65.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah I went to a 62.5 on mine (160mm travel). The 65mm lets the tyre come too close to the seat tube for comfort. I think that explains the steeper SA on the Process 165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast