Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    I donít have the weight, but when I upgraded to dt Swiss 471 with hope hub for rear, it didnít feel lighter from just lifting it. Not scientific, I know. But will give you an idea. Carbon wheels might be different.

The ride quality, however, is different. Feels more solid.
    Interesting! I found another thread on the 29er section that claims the wheelset weighed in at 2400g. Grabbing something like the Hunt wheelset at 1820g would shave over a pound off the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Based on fanatik website (where I bought my wheel set), my dt ex511 front and ex471 rear with hope hub weigh about 1973g (4.35 lbs).

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My (formula on wtb st i29) wheels were about 2.4kg

Ive swapped to mavic xa elites, which are 4mm narrower, not sure I notice the difference there.

they are 1.8kg and I definitely notice that difference, made the bike much more agile

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    My (formula on wtb st i29) wheels were about 2.4kg

Ive swapped to mavic xa elites, which are 4mm narrower, not sure I notice the difference there.

they are 1.8kg and I definitely notice that difference, made the bike much more agile
    Agreed with Kimbers. The bike definitely felt more agile after I swapped to my DT Swiss. Again, as I said - my only reference is a "Lifting" test vs. actual scale. So, while my arms can't really tell the difference, the weight saving is there based on the 2.4kg weight that people has mentioned in the past.

On being more agile, I think it's a combination of lighter and narrower wheel on mine (from 29mm ID on WTB to 25mm ID on ex471).
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    These are numbers for my 27.5 Process 153 CR.

Stock WTB i29 Asym wheelset.
    1155g rear, 1001 front

Replaced with DT Swiss EX471 rims on Hope Pro4 hubs
    Rear 1053
    Front 930

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Awesome, thanks everyone. Confirmed heavy ass wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got mine earlier this week and since the weather has been horrible I'm taking my time setting it up. Where are you all keeping tools and spare parts? I'm looking to ditch the backpack on shorter rides this year so on bike storage is back on the menu. The seat and the downtube in front of the rear shock seem like the only places that are obvious.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by officeboy View Post
    Just got mine earlier this week and since the weather has been horrible I'm taking my time setting it up. Where are you all keeping tools and spare parts? I'm looking to ditch the backpack on shorter rides this year so on bike storage is back on the menu. The seat and the downtube in front of the rear shock seem like the only places that are obvious.
    Im using a backcountry research strap. I played with a few positions and ended up using it laying on top of the toptube, butted up to the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Well, I'm back in the Kona family. I sold my Release and picked up a Process from Jenson. I've never bought a bike from Jenson. I hope it comes almost ready to ride.

I just bought the AL instead of the AL DL. The better brakes and eagle on the DL were tempting, but I think the AL has the better dropper post. I dont know if the extra cost was justified. Plus since it was only $1900 and right around what I sold my other bike for, it seemed like a good choice. I loved my Release. Its a fantastic bike, but I wanted to go all 29er.

The Process has a more travel than I really need around here, but what the hell. I already have a 120mm 29er and was looking for something different. I demoed a Stumpjumper that has about as much travel and had no issues with it. It was great on our trails. Plus if I ever road trip to bigger trails, I now have the bike for them.

I'm a clyde, not a speed demon and just ride for fun, so I dont mind a heavy bike at all. I rode a Process 153 on a demo day this past summer and I had a lot of fun on it. Can't wait to get back on one.

I plan on riding it as is. I'll change out parts as they wear out. Only change right away will be some Fat Paw grips. The idea of an angled headset is interesting, though. The bottom bracket is plenty high, so lowering it a little wouldn't be a negative, and you could slacken the head angle by 2 degrees or a degree and a half and increase the seat tube angle. I'll ride it as is before trying anything, but it's nice to be able to follow the new geometry trends if needed.

I'm hoping this is a good all rounder. Hopefully it will remind me a little of my old Process 111. I'd still have that bike if I didnt get a size too large for me. Nice to be back on a Kona.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wicked! welcome to the family. I did the same thing for the AL vs. AL DL. I hated my old reverb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Richulr,
    You're going to love it. To answer your question about it being ready to ride from Jenson, all you will need to do is put on the front wheel, set your seat height, set sag and adjust levers. I set my sag at 30% front and rear and it feels good. Enjoy the new whip! Glad it all worked out for ya.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

More Sizing Questions

All - thanks for the great information in this thread. I am about to order a 2019 Process 153 29 DL. I am just under 6-02 with a 36" inseam. I was able to sit on and parking lot test both the L and XL but due to the season here in CO can't get out for any rides on typical terrain. As with several of you I'm in between sizes. I was thinking the L was going to be the way to go but was surprised that the XL felt pretty darned good just sitting on it. But the XL is a big long bike much more so than the bike I'm coming off of. Any last minute advice from the group?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Does anyone know if the 153 CR/DL frame w/ shock are available anywhere? Not a Rock Shox fan and thinking of going a different route with a custom frame up build seeing the limited options with Kona. Most dealers have stopped selling them due to Kona fading out their best sellers in the past.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by archer1916 View Post
    All - thanks for the great information in this thread. I am about to order a 2019 Process 153 29 DL. I am just under 6-02 with a 36" inseam. I was able to sit on and parking lot test both the L and XL but due to the season here in CO can't get out for any rides on typical terrain. As with several of you I'm in between sizes. I was thinking the L was going to be the way to go but was surprised that the XL felt pretty darned good just sitting on it. But the XL is a big long bike much more so than the bike I'm coming off of. Any last minute advice from the group?
    XL, you'll get used to the length. I'm 5'10" on a large, fits just right.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Get XL. Iím the same height (a smidget under 6í2) with 34 ish inseam, and I ride XL process. Actually just switched my stem to 32mm stem and it felt even better.

Tried L in the parking lot and felt a bit cramped actually, which I thought was weird.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Get XL. Iím the same height (a smidget under 6í2) with 34 ish inseam, and I ride XL process. Actually just switched my stem to 32mm stem and it felt even better.

Tried L in the parking lot and felt a bit cramped actually, which I thought was weird.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer1916 View Post
    You need to be on an XL with that inseam. On a large, you're going to have the seat post extended so high that the effective seat tube angle numbers aren't real. You'll end up with an effective seat tube angle of 74ish and the bike will feel massive.

I know it's counter intuitive, but the XL will end up with a longer standing reach, but a much shorter seated reach. You'll get used to the longer standing reach quickly and won't notice it, you won't ever adapt to being stretched out while seated and climbing. In addition, the bike is going to climb like a bus because your weight will be too far back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

First time post

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time posting here, I just wanted to show my new toy:Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-img_0916-_rotjpg.jpg

Kona Process 153 AL-DL 2018

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks awesome. Can't wait until it warms up and drys out so I can try mine out.

mtbr member
    very nice, I almost bought that same bike, Enjoy!!!!
    " What do you want for yourself?"

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR/DL 29

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm curious to see if any other owners are having the same issues with the dropper post that I am, so I thought I'd check.

When I received my '18 Process 153 AL 29'er from Jenson, my dropper post was really low on air pressure. I pumped it up, and it started behaving more like I'd suspect it should (its my first bike with a dropper post, so it was hard to know what was normal). That was about 2 months ago.

I noticed the dropper wasn't returning anymore when I went out to get ready for my ride tomorrow, so I checked the pressure, and it was again down (shock pump showed ~ 110 psi, when its supposed to be 220-250psi).

I pumped it up to ~250psi, and its working better now. It still pauses quite a bit in the last 20-40mm of travel (which it has done from new), but it does at least return to full travel now, which it didn't do yesterday.

This time I used a torque wrench to tighten the seat post clamp as well, so I am sure I didn't overtighten it.

I only have 2 friends with dropper posts, and theirs don't seem to have problems with losing air pressure like this, nor do theirs have this sort of pause in their travel. In fact, tonight they were both over at my house wrenching on the bikes, and we used the same torque wrench to tighten the seat clamps on each bike. So I'm pretty sure I wasn't overtightening

Anyway, is this normal behavior for a dropper post? Or does it sound faulty? Should I be reaching out to Kona to see if it is under warranty?

Thanks for the help everyone .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Same issue here! I also got mine from Jenson. They probably had a bad batch. No need to go to Kona, Jenson can help you. They replaced mine with a OneUp!

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    My dropper was the same, I think that it could have an air leak because when I pumped 250 psi the dropper extended great but one week or two after the dropper started to up lower and not fully. Three weeks ago, the extension was slower and totally incomplete. The dropper then only showed around 100 psi.

I sent the dropper to Jenson to activate the guarantee two weeks ago and I am still waiting for it...

Barefootdan, how long do you wait for your dropper to come back?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniope View Post
    My dropper was the same, I think that it could have an air leak because when I pumped 250 psi the dropper extended great but one week or two after the dropper started to up lower and not fully. Three weeks ago, the extension was slower and totally incomplete. The dropper then only showed around 100 psi.

I sent the dropper to Jenson to activate the guarantee two weeks ago and I am still waiting for it...

Barefootdan, how long do you wait for your dropper to come back?
    I started the process on February 11th. I didnít need to send mine back in. They just offered to send me a OneUp immediately. Unfortunately they were out of stock until last week lol. So I just got it on Thursday (3/14)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just got off the phone with Jenson.

I described what has been happening with the post and its behavior, and he confirmed that it definitely isn't behaving as expected.

He told me to take the bike to a shop, and have them take a look at it. If they can repair it for under $50, they said to just take the recepit, and they'd refund me the price. If it was over that, they said they'd likely just replace it.

So... looks like I'm going to try to find a shop somewhere close, and hopefully get this all taken care of.

Because having to wait 2 sec for the post to come back to full height on the trail is getting annoying.

Just thought I'd give an update for everyone, in case they're going through the same thing (as it seems a bunch of us bought them from Jenson on their recent sale).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Fingers crossed to get the dropper this next week

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    If you could, let me know how it goes.

I checked with my LBS, and found that a repair would be $100 or so (shipping it off to have it serviced), and so I called Jenson again. They said a warranty replacement is likely, and that they'd had the warranty folks call me back sometime today to discuss it.

I looked up the OneUp dropper a bit, and it seems promising. I'm a bit nervous. There is a thread on these dropper posts here, and they say something about the cable housing needing to move to make it work correctly. With the cable housing being clamped down, I'm not sure that would work.

I asked there, and will see if anyone has this combination (Process 153/Oneup Dropper), but thought I'd see how your install goes as well.

Thanks .

Edit: Just got email confirmation that I'm also getting a OneUp post as a warranty replacement. Guess we'll see how it works out once it gets here . Either way, this bike is the first time I've had to deal with warranty at Jenson, and so far, I'm super impressed. Will recommend to others in the future. They appear to have your back.
    Last edited by ocnLogan; 03-19-2019 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Jenson has just replied me with the shipping of a new dropper hence Tranz-x couldnít be reached.

I guess that the new dropper I am waiting for is an OneUp. I have seen some tutorials and the installation shouldnít be very different from other droppers...

I will keep you informed

Question for barefootdan, the OneUp came with the cable, housing and lever or plain?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thank you for the final words of advice. I ended up ordering the XL. Just finished a week long trip to Sedona to break it in. This bike is fantastic. Once on the trail it did not seem excessively long, took tight sections as fast as I my skills can handle, climbed chunk, and railed straight line ledge descents. Pretty stoked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I had a bad tranz x dropper as well. Started the warranty on Tuesday and they are sending me a foundation dropper. Looks like a brand new model. Just on their website with no pictures yet. It will be here on Friday. Hopefully it's better than the tranz x

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Wow, looks like there really was a bad batch...

Wonder if it was a batch from the manufacturer, or if it was due to storage, or something else?

My Process came from Jenson with the dropper slammed all the way down (both collar on the seattube, but also the the post was at full compression). If they'd been stored like that since they came out almost a year ago, maybe thats why none of them hold air?

Hard to know, but its interesting to see how at least 3-4 of us have had the same experience.

Also interesting that we haven't all gotten the same replacement post. But I guess as long as they work, I'm not too picky .

And Archer, a week long trip to Sedona to break in the new bike! That sounds amazing. I've had mine since the middle of Jan, and I've been out on it three times, for an average of maybe 1.5 - 2 hr. That's one heck of a way to get to know the new ride .

As this is my first full suspension bike, as well as my first bike with "modern" geo, and a dropper post, felt strange for the first run or two. Now that I've got some taller handlebars on there (38mm rise Diety bars) and a few runs down familiar trails under my belt, its just starting to jell. I'm hoping once I'm all the way used to it, that I can progress a bit this season. I'm looking to clear gaps, and drops > 2-3ft (which for me, is an improvement).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Diferent droppers provided in warranty could be due to the deferent travels of Tranz-x droppers in our Konas.

Size L Konas Tranz-x comes with 170 mm travel and size M Konas come with 150.

Foundation dropper is 150 travel max. and OneUp is 170. It could be the reason, I guess...

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Mine is a large and has the 150 I'm pretty sure it's the xl with the 170.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    You have a 150mm dropper stock?

Weird. From what I could find online, the official specs say 170mm for L and XL.

I just went out and measured mine. I have a size large,and it's absolutely a 170mm (tape measure was just a hair over 6 5/8in, which is ~168mm).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Mine is L and comes with 170mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    You are right I thought I read that m and l came with 150 and xl came with 170. I just measured and it's 170. I'll have to call Jenson and ask why they are replacing my 170 with a 150

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Let us know what they tell you

mtbr member
    2019 CR/DL owner here and looking for chain guide fitment advice. I bought the OneUp ISCG05 chain guide and it doesn't fit. The top mount on the frame is in board by 11.5mm. The chain guide does not come with spacers or a longer bolt. OneUp sent me to Kona and Kona said tough shit(basically). No adapter, but the measurements to fabricate my own spacer. Seems stupid. Anyway, is there anyone else running a chain guide and if so were there any fitment issues. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-8gt9on2.jpg  

loud hubs save lives
    Quote Originally Posted by fubuki View Post
    2019 CR/DL owner here and looking for chain guide fitment advice. I bought the OneUp ISCG05 chain guide and it doesn't fit. The top mount on the frame is in board by 11.5mm. The chain guide does not come with spacers or a longer bolt. OneUp sent me to Kona and Kona said tough shit(basically). No adapter, but the measurements to fabricate my own spacer. Seems stupid. Anyway, is there anyone else running a chain guide and if so were there any fitment issues. Thanks.
    Seems bogus. Oneup is a sponsor of kona gravity team and hereís their bike check, with the oneup guide

http://cog.konaworld.com/kona-dream-...cess-cr-dl-29/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Seems bogus. Oneup is a sponsor of kona gravity team and hereís their bike check, with the oneup guide

Kona Dream Builds: Red Dawn, the 2019 Team Issue Process CR DL 29 | KONA COG
    That's a good damn point.

loud hubs save lives
    That's a good damn point.
    Maybe thereís some sort of spacer/bolt at the hardware store

Something like this:

mtbr member
    The problem is the size. It's 11.5mm. That'd probably require custom fabrication. I was looking MRP and they come with a set of spacers that are 2.5mm and 1mm, so you could build up to 11.5mm. You'd also need a longer bolt. The bolts that came with the guide are 10mm, so you'd need at least a 21mm bolt to be safe. I've found some 22mm bolts online, but without a proper spacer it's pointless.

It just seems ridiculous that I'd have to fab up a workaround to get a chain guide to fit. I thought ISCG05 was supposed to be a standard. Why is Kona different here?

I had an MRP on my 2015 Process 153, but I don't recall there being any fitment issues.

I just wanted to see if others have run into this problem.

mtbr member
    It is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to do a bunch of modifications to make it work...unless it's not the guide - but the bike.

Have you looked at any other chain guides? Wolftooth, e*13, AbsoluteBlack, Funn, 77designz.

I don't know if you can see anything, but here's another look:
    Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-full_ltr_7460.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwapik View Post
    It is ridiculous. You shouldn't have to do a bunch of modifications to make it work...unless it's not the guide - but the bike.

Have you looked at any other chain guides? Wolftooth, e*13, AbsoluteBlack, Funn, 77designz.

I don't know if you can see anything, but here's another look:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full_LTR_7460.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	1243433
    I've looked really close at that picture, but you can't really tell. I've checked out all the other guides, but no mention of any fitment issues specific to the Kona.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I haven't tried to look it up again, but when I was researching the Process 153, I ran across a review that mentioned that the tabs were there. But like you have mentioned they weren't in the right location, so if you wanted to run a chain guide, you'd have to make your own spacers.

All I guess that means, is that I'm going to guess that your bike isn't a one off, and that they're all screwed up. No idea why they bothered to put the tabs there, but in the wrong location/dimensions/etc.

I don't forsee myself using one (I'm coming from a 3x10 setup, so this 1x with a clutched rear mech, and a narrow-wide front chainring, it already feels like I can't get the chain to come off), so it didn't stop me from buying the bike. But I agree... its just a weird thing to do, use a standard mount... but do it wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    So, moving to a different topic - derailleur hanger on this bike. Not sure if it's just my really really bad luck or the derailleur hanger on this bike is uber strong.... I have now broken / bent TWO RD in a year....on the same hanger... and the hanger is still in a perfect condition. (ironically on the same exact trail, within a few feet of each other....maybe I just need to avoid that trail...)

Isn't the hanger suppose to safe the RD? One was NX RD, which was snapped in two pieces due to chain drop. The other was XT RD, due to wandering branches on the trailside that bent my cage and b-link.

Anyone else has similar experience?
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    Maybe thereís some sort of spacer/bolt at the hardware store

Something like this:
    Something like that is exactly what I used. An aluminum spacer trimmed down and a longer bolt, all things we had at the shop. It was a bit of a pain and frankly something that Kona should include, but not an insurmountable issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just received my replacement post (oneup). Unexpectedly, it came with a new cable, housing, and lever (the oneup lever, as you'd expect).

Haven't installed it yet, but wanted to mention it to everyone else that is still waiting on their replacement .

mtbr member
    I have the same bike, running the MRP AMg V2, No issues at all.

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Just received my replacement post (oneup). Unexpectedly, it came with a new cable, housing, and lever (the oneup lever, as you'd expect).

Haven't installed it yet, but wanted to mention it to everyone else that is still waiting on their replacement .

I have just received a foundation dropper, 150mm...

It it seems a decent dropper but do not know why some of them get foundation and others OneUp...

Mine was 170mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

It it seems a decent dropper but do not know why some of them get foundation and others OneUp...

Mine was 170mm
    It's a mistake call them and they will fix it for you. They sent me a foundation and the guy didn't realize that the large came with a 170 dropper. They sent me a return label and will send me a replacement 170

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    I have the same bike, running the MRP AMg V2, No issues at all.
    Sweet. Just what I wanted to here. Sent the OneUp back. They told me to use a SRAM disc post mount adapter set. Stupid. MRP told me the guide comes with everything I need, but good to have validation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bim6180 View Post
    So, moving to a different topic - derailleur hanger on this bike. Not sure if it's just my really really bad luck or the derailleur hanger on this bike is uber strong.... I have now broken / bent TWO RD in a year....on the same hanger... and the hanger is still in a perfect condition. (ironically on the same exact trail, within a few feet of each other....maybe I just need to avoid that trail...)

Isn't the hanger suppose to safe the RD? One was NX RD, which was snapped in two pieces due to chain drop. The other was XT RD, due to wandering branches on the trailside that bent my cage and b-link.

Anyone else has similar experience?
    If a stick killed it, then Im not sure a hanger would save it

But the cheaper SRAM mechs always die on me, I had to warranty the NX on my 153 29

As for chain guide, never fitted one, Ive had mine over a year and I think ive dropped the chain once, its done some uplift days and some tough enduro races too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Yeah - stupid stick... Finally worked on fixing it last night and found out that the B-link actually saved my derailleur (cage looked bent, but actually not). So, put on the new b-link from the new XT mech i bought, and all is well. Keeping the new mech for spare i guess....

In terms of chain guide - i haven't dropped my chain yet, even at the bike park, so not sure if you actually need one....
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Mine was 170mm
    Within an hour of when I dropped the foundation post at the UPS drop off I got an email from the warranty Dept saying they were shipping out the 170 oneup. So definitely call in and let them know the wrong size was sent to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by sladesy View Post
    Within an hour of when I dropped the foundation post at the UPS drop off I got an email from the warranty Dept saying they were shipping out the 170 oneup. So definitely call in and let them know the wrong size was sent to you.
    Roger that.

I will call Jenson to get my 170mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Podium for Connor fearon on his 153 29 at the EWS & top 10 for Miranda Miller on hers, nice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Podium for Connor fearon on his 153 29 at the EWS & top 10 for Miranda Miller on hers, nice!
    Oh good!

More evidence that my lack of ability is me, and not the bike :P.

I really only started riding last fall (Oct), and I'm hoping to progress a fair bit this summer. The weak point right now is in the air, so I've been trying to session jumps/drops to practice, I just haven't had the "epiphany" moment quite yet.

I'm hoping to install the replacement dropper post sometime this week. Additionally, my shifting is a touch sloppy. When I do the dropper post, I'm going to see if there is some slack in the shifter cable as well. If its really bad, I may switch the cable as well.

I think I've got a very slow leak in the rear tire (switched to tubeless recently). Lost ~5psi in a week. Is that normal/expected for tubeless. This is my first time with tubeless, so not entirely sure what to expect. When I converted to tubeless, I had 40PSI in them overnight, but I read that may not have been enough? Either way, I pumped them up to 50PSI last night, and was going to let them sit for a day or two, and see if that helps.

And I think I'm going to order new pedals for the bike this week. I'm currently rocking a set of pedals that came with my Haro Street/BMX bike from 1999 (the only flat/platforms I had at the time to test with, as I had been riding clipless for a while). The Crank Brothers Stamp 1 is only $37 atm, and is likely what I'll be going with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    On tire pressure, it's normal to lose a little pressure on tubeless. I always pump it up and check with independent gauge before every ride.
    Kona Process 153 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The more I research, the more the Process 153 seems to be the best long travel 29er for me. The weight is the biggest concern. Sorry if this has been asked before, does anyone know the difference between AL and CR frames? Based on what have been posting, it seems as if there is a 2lb difference in complete bikes. It is hard to work out if that is frame. If not I will probably go with AL and a nice wheelset to offset the total weight difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm not sure on the exact difference in frames of the same size, with the same spec, but the ~2lb difference you're mentioning sounds about right.

I mostly wanted to point out that the CR, still has AL chainstays. So the weight difference between other "full CR" bikes and their respective AL versions may not be as pronounced.

Its a relatively heavy bike, but otherwise has been its hard to fault it too much. Myself, I'm more worried about value, and durability/longevity, so I went with the AL, and will just count the extra weight as "an attempt to further increase my fitness", as I'm not timed on anything, and ride to stay in shape/have fun.

Good luck deciding if its the bike for you .

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Anyone have experience putting a coil on their newer 153's? I'm running a 2018 AL and the stock RS Deluxe feels way over damped. I'm not able to use all of the travel even though I'm running a bit over 30% sag. I believe the linkage is fairly progressive but I'm looking to throw a RS Super Deluxe coil on. Any thoughts? Thanks so much.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocnLogan View Post
    Oh good!

More evidence that my lack of ability is me, and not the bike :P.

I really only started riding last fall (Oct), and I'm hoping to progress a fair bit this summer. The weak point right now is in the air, so I've been trying to session jumps/drops to practice, I just haven't had the "epiphany" moment quite yet.

I'm hoping to install the replacement dropper post sometime this week. Additionally, my shifting is a touch sloppy. When I do the dropper post, I'm going to see if there is some slack in the shifter cable as well. If its really bad, I may switch the cable as well.

I think I've got a very slow leak in the rear tire (switched to tubeless recently). Lost ~5psi in a week. Is that normal/expected for tubeless. This is my first time with tubeless, so not entirely sure what to expect. When I converted to tubeless, I had 40PSI in them overnight, but I read that may not have been enough? Either way, I pumped them up to 50PSI last night, and was going to let them sit for a day or two, and see if that helps.

And I think I'm going to order new pedals for the bike this week. I'm currently rocking a set of pedals that came with my Haro Street/BMX bike from 1999 (the only flat/platforms I had at the time to test with, as I had been riding clipless for a while). The Crank Brothers Stamp 1 is only $37 atm, and is likely what I'll be going with.
    Hi,
    As posted above, some leaking is to be expected with tubeless especially in the beginning. I taped all my wheels myself with various results, meaning that some tires need to be pumped up every other week, some hold their air for months. It's a bit more hazzle than with tubes, but the advantages of tubeless are well worth the effort.
    Regarding pedals: yes try something more up to date, I don't know the ones you mentioned but have had good experiences with one up comps which are rather inexpensive as well.
    Good luck with your riding season!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    Hi,
    As posted above, some leaking is to be expected with tubeless especially in the beginning. I taped all my wheels myself with various results, meaning that some tires need to be pumped up every other week, some hold their air for months. It's a bit more hazzle than with tubes, but the advantages of tubeless are well worth the effort.
    Regarding pedals: yes try something more up to date, I don't know the ones you mentioned but have had good experiences with one up comps which are rather inexpensive as well.
    Good luck with your riding season!
    Thanks for the feedback.

As I said, I'm kind of new at this, and so are all of my riding buddies. So things like that we all say "well, mine lost some pressure too, so maybe its normal"?

I just used the tubeless tape that was in the wheels from the factory and its seemed to work just fine so far. It just lost a few psi during the week (3-5psi maybe?). Perhaps it would be improved if I gorilla taped it, but at this point thats too much work to worry about. Perhaps in the future when I switch tires.

As far as its advantages, I'm not so sure I've noticed much yet. In my riding since Oct, I haven't flatted once, not have I had a puncture, and thats with tubes. I think this is partially because the PNW has so few sharp rocks, and relatively few things with thorns, but also partially because I'm apparently too slow to cause rim strikes :P.

I noticed a few on my old hardtail... but with rediculously low pressures on a 26x1.90. With these (relatively much more air volume) 29x2.4's, I'm still not having problems. Also, I used the full 4oz of sealant (OS Endurance) recommended. So I'm not sure its much/any lighter than tubes at this point. Maybe I'll notice it more as I get more time on it.

And good luck with your season as well. Here's to hoping for progression all around .

mtbr member
    Hi!
    Thanks as well! Haven't gotten a single mtb ride in so far due to a knee injury, so it can only get better
    Piece of advice regarding tubeless: once you've taped the rim (and before you add sealant, but i gather that's aready done), put in the tube again and pump it up nicely, and let it rest for another day or two, to ensure that the tape really sticks properly to the rim. I've had good results with this method.
    I tried tapes from Stan's and BOR with little luck, and settled on DT Swiss tape, which has been almost perfect. So far i've been using Stan's sealant exclusively, but have recently purchased a bottle of e13 sealant as it appears to be highly recommended by Maxxis for use with their tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just got a 2018 AL/DL frame (size M) on sale for about $1500 brand new with a Super Deluxe rear shock. I hope I can get this built by the end of the month.

Looking to pair this with a 160mm Lyrik with a reduced 42mm offset.

I got really surprised by how heavy it was (9.7 lbs / 4.4 kg) but I've been told it rides lighter than it weighs. Target weight for the full build was 32 lbs but 34 lbs seems to be more realistic owing to the unexpected heft of the frame.

Anything I need to do / check with the frame before I start with the build?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    Just got a 2018 AL/DL frame (size M) on sale for about $1500 brand new with a Super Deluxe rear shock. I hope I can get this built by the end of the month.

Looking to pair this with a 160mm Lyrik with a reduced 42mm offset.

I got really surprised by how heavy it was (9.7 lbs / 4.4 kg) but I've been told it rides lighter than it weighs. Target weight for the full build was 32 lbs but 34 lbs seems to be more realistic owing to the unexpected heft of the frame.

Anything I need to do / check with the frame before I start with the build?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nice!

yeah its never light, but pedals very well, I use mine as an all day bike with a decent wheelset

only advice would be get some frame protection on the seat stays, especially, as its wide and you get some heel rub

this stuff is great

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/col...guards-xl-size

mtbr member
    gorgeous, mate, congrats!
    grease the insides of the headtube and bottom bracket before you press in the bearing shells...and any threads before you apply the screws.
    and if you're unsure about stack and reach, leave some steerer tube length for experimenting.
    finally, if you want to slacken it out further, consider a works components degree headset...there's recently been an initial review posted on nsmb.com
    enjoy the build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Has anyone here used a Works angled headset? I'd love to hear impressions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Everyone is creaming their pants over the Druid but the impressions that I read were just luke warm. Doesnt appear to be a game changer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I don't have one on my P153 but I've got them on a couple of other bikes and they are great. Just order well in advance of when you need it - they are a 1-man show and sometimes it takes a few weeks before certain headsets are back in stock. And take your time and be patient during installation to make sure you get the cups lined up properly.

mtbr member
    Not me, but I'm considering one for my honzo. @rideeverything has one in his honzo St 2019, he seems to be very happy.
    If you go through the comments in that nsmb.com article, you will see that Andrew major mentions that the cups have above average insertion depth inside the head tube. The stack height also increases (depending on the model) so the available steerer tube length needs to be sufficient. Other than that, it seems to be the best way to upfork an existing bike while not changing the seat angle and bb height by a drastic amount (depending on the additional fork travel obviously).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    But 66 degree angle is not enought?

Iím very happy than my process, is the best bike Iíve Ever ride!

In my opinion the longer reach balancing perfectly from the not extreme slacker steer tube angle

My bike weight 15.5 kilos but every ride is an happy ride!

After the climb iím not enought tired for the dh

Sorry for my English

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I love my Process as is too. The current geometry is probably better for my trails than slacking it out. But I'm still interested in hearing impressions from anyone that's done it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I love my Process as is too. The current geometry is probably better for my trails than slacking it out. But I'm still interested in hearing impressions from anyone that's done it.
    Perfect!

Whit 65 degree angle this bike is like a dh bike!!!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice!

yeah its never light, but pedals very well, I use mine as an all day bike with a decent wheelset

only advice would be get some frame protection on the seat stays, especially, as its wide and you get some heel rub

this stuff is great

https://www.allmountainstyle.com/col...guards-xl-size

Quote Originally Posted by Rynee View Post
    gorgeous, mate, congrats!
    grease the insides of the headtube and bottom bracket before you press in the bearing shells...and any threads before you apply the screws.
    and if you're unsure about stack and reach, leave some steerer tube length for experimenting.
    finally, if you want to slacken it out further, consider a works components degree headset...there's recently been an initial review posted on nsmb.com
    enjoy the build!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys! I actually felt a tinge of buyer's remorse when I saw the scale go past 8.5 lbs and even zoom past 9 lbs. I'm a little dude at 5'6" and 140 lbs so the weight is a bit of a concern.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbl Kint View Post
    I got really surprised by how heavy it was (9.7 lbs / 4.4 kg) but I've been told it rides lighter than it weighs.
    I used to care about bike weight. Last time I sold a bike, the guy calls and says "what's it weigh?"... to which I responded "I dunno. Never weighed it. I built it to ride. It weighs what it weighs"
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Looking at this bike to couple with my 130/120, 29er. Looking for a bigger bike for days in Sedona, Moab GC and St George type riding. Iím wondering how is does up step rocky punchy tech climbs. As well as how it does in slow downhill tech moves

I can mitigate the weight be swaping our to a lighter wheelset and tires that I have.

Trails is usw the bike in would be THE, Mag7. Capt Ahab. Ribbon, Gunny Hiline and Hogs

I know this bike was designed or PNW riding. Just curious how it would do in SW tech

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Any feedback on the formula hubs on the base CR model? I know that formula is a large manufacturer that are sold under a lot of brand names. Are these particular hubs decent or should I look to upgrade right away?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Another problem with my brand new process 153 AL,

today I pumped air into the rear wheel, tubeless with sealant, and I realised that the juncture of the rim is a little bit open and there is a leak that the sealant cannot seal. The thing is that the rim cannot reach more than 1.5 bar before starting leaking...

I have contacted Jenson, to ask for a solution... but it seem that the rims are far from being heavy duty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-7719c6a1-a43d-48e5-a5d0-e43a604d0fa4.jpg  

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-67bcce19-0228-47e4-97e8-4919bd890b16.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Another problem with my brand new process 153 AL,

today I pumped air into the rear wheel, tubeless with sealant, and I realised that the juncture of the rim is a little bit open and there is a leak that the sealant cannot seal. The thing is that the rim cannot reach more than 1.5 bar before starting leaking...

I have contacted Jenson, to ask for a solution... but it seem that the rims are far from being heavy duty.
    Gorilla tape? I had a rim that was doing the same thing and leaking from the seam, and after a gorilla re-tape and fresh Trucker-co fluid, it was fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Hubs

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Pidassle View Post
    Any feedback on the formula hubs on the base CR model? I know that formula is a large manufacturer that are sold under a lot of brand names. Are these particular hubs decent or should I look to upgrade right away?

I myself have not ridden/ used formula hubs but know a few guys that have had them come on their bikes as part of the stock build and they seem to be a weak link for the bike, sort of like the cheap novatec hubs Santa Cruz used for a while. I would replace as soon as I could.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Five0 I have about 200 miles on my new Process 153 CR. I love the bike. I only get one bike and it has to do it all and this thing is not letting me down. I am 6-02 and around 205 lbs ride ready on an XL frame so weight is not a primary factor as it would be perhaps if I was on smaller frame. I have ridden several of the trails you list but not yet on this bike. I can not imagine it wouldn't do well and be better than anything I have ridden prior. What I did ride on it in Sedona a couple of weeks ago I felt it was really good at on that terrain. I have been surprised that for an XL with a long wheelbase it still feels maneuverable, but of course you may be on a different plane than me and require something different. My only comparison is to a Hightower LT I rode in Moab and I prefer the feel of the Process over similar (if not exact trails) terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I put a thread of loctite glue (flexible) in and out of the seam and it seems that the problem is solved.

Anyway, I will be eyes opened and in case of leaking, I will retape with gorilla tape all the way up

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Just swapped the RS Deluxe out for the new Marzocchi Bomber CR with a Fox SLS coil. Actually feels really good thus far. Will spend a few days dialing things in, but it seems to be a good option for a coil on a budget.

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-img_20190501_164123.jpg
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am extremely interested in hearing your ride impressions of the Marzocchi. Been wondering about that shock for awhile now. Keep us updated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks great, I am planning to do thew same on mine. Did you increased the travel? I hear a gossip that this frame allows 5mm more travel on the shock and that converts to 165mm travel on the wheel.

Cheers

L

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Eluiso View Post
    Looks great, I am planning to do thew same on mine. Did you increased the travel? I hear a gossip that this frame allows 5mm more travel on the shock and that converts to 165mm travel on the wheel.

Cheers

L
    I don't know about the 29er version but on my medium 27.5 you could go to 2.5mm more travel on the shock for 160mm wheel travel but the extra 2.5mm 65mm trunnion caused the rocker to contact the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Thanks all! I did not try to increase travel, just running a 205x60 setup on the Marzocchi. I'll try to update after I get some extended experience.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

Jiv
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    I'm setting up the stock wheelset of my Process 153 AL 29 as a DH/bike park set, using a 29x2.5 Assegai DH on the front. Now, what I'm struggling with is finding options for the rear wheel. So far I've found DHRII 2.4 in DH casing - does it fit in the frame mounted on 30mm rims? All other options seems to be even wider, and I'm uncertain if even a 2.4 would fit with sufficient clearance. Any input or suggestions on a good rear tire for a DH setup?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone know if a 29x2.5 Maxxis Aggressor will fit in the back on the stock rims? I'm looking for something a little faster rolling than the DHF for summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    No idea on if the aggressor will fit back there. But I'm thinking I'll likely be replacing the rear DHF with a 2.4in WTB Trail Boss. I hear they measure a bit narrow, but they look to be pretty decent pedaling, but also have big shoulder knobs, and come in a tough casing.

I'm going to replace the front DHF with the WTB Vigilante in 2.5 or 2.6in widths (which, I hear actually measure larger than advertised) when it wears out.

I did just order some TRP Quadiems from WWC, so that will be a pretty decent upgrade from my current Level T's .

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Got it back in November, my first bike and it's been awesome.
    Not light but neither am I and that's ok.

Recently I've been making some upgrades as needed or I felt could be improved so here's my list so far.

Installed Charger 2 RCT3 damper
    Code R brakes
    Spank Spike 350 Vibrocore wheels
    Now have a 2.4wt DHR 2 on the back, Which just barely clears even though Kona states they set it up for that size tire from Maxxis to be the largest to run.
    2.6 Bontrager XR5 on the front
    150mm volt saddle
    Deity Topside handlebar
    XX1 Gold chain
    30T Aluminum chainring(For now)

And it's been riding way better with the new wheels, kills some of the chatter of the trail here in SoCal.

Put a solid dent in the i29 that came with it some how.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

finally finished her

Dedicated Kona 153 29er forum-resized_20190521_163625_9388.jpgDedicated Kona 153 29er forum-resized_20190521_163717_4043.jpg

2019 CR/DL 29

Renthal 35 Carbon Fatbars
    Renthal Apex Stem
    Chris King Headset
    Chromag Grips and saddle
    MRP Ramp Control / Bash Guard and Chain guide
    Ice Tech Rotors
    I9 Enduro 305 wheelset with Hydra Hubs
    Wolftooth Seatpost Clamp
    Raceface Crank Protectors
    Wah Wah 2 Pedals

I love this thing, not bad for a 55 yr. old man.

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mogollon - were you able to swap out the hardware (bushings) from the stock shock onto the Marz or did you have to buy new?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Looking at this bike to couple with my 130/120, 29er. Looking for a bigger bike for days in Sedona, Moab GC and St George type riding. Iím wondering how is does up step rocky punchy tech climbs. As well as how it does in slow downhill tech moves

I can mitigate the weight be swaping our to a lighter wheelset and tires that I have.

Trails is usw the bike in would be THE, Mag7. Capt Ahab. Ribbon, Gunny Hiline and Hogs

I know this bike was designed or PNW riding. Just curious how it would do in SW tech
    Five0,
    I got my new Process a couple of weeks ago. Many of the trails that I ride are tight, technical and rocky with short steep sections that usually include navigating some sort of obstacle. I am very happy with how responsive the handling is for a bike with this much travel. I have not had to make any adjustments to my riding technique as a result of the new bike. It handles the terrain that you are asking about with no issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Does anyone have a link to a good Derailuer hanger for the 2018 process? I cant seem to find anything outside of what kona sells on their parts store.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JN29 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a good Derailuer hanger for the 2018 process? I cant seem to find anything outside of what kona sells on their parts store.

Bikeman Kona Derailleur Hanger TT V5TT

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooledup View Post
    Sweet, thanks. Part #s match up to Konas so I'll order that up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jiv
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    What water bottle cage + bottle are you guys running on your Process 29'ers? So far I've only tried a standard side loaded cage + a regular 620ml Camelbak bottle, and it's not even close to room enough for that combo in my AL size large.

Would love a cage that fits in the frame with a 620ml bottle without any modifications or a hard time getting the bottle in and out.

mtbr member
    Elite Cannibal with a 22oz. purist bottle
    Last edited by Uwibami; 1 Week Ago at 05:21 AM. Reason: add info

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    Anyone know if a 29x2.5 Maxxis Aggressor will fit in the back on the stock rims? I'm looking for something a little faster rolling than the DHF for summer.
    I tried that tire on my '18 153 29er AL and it was okay in dry, dusty conditions but rubbed badly in any kind of moisture. I've run the 2.4 DHRII on the rear and it was fine. I'm pretty much sticking to 2.3s now so I don't have to worry about it.
    I've been running Bontrager XR5s with a 2.3 in the rear and a 2.5 in the front. I've been happy with the traction and they're quire a bit lighter than the DHF/DHRII combo I've run in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiv View Post
    What water bottle cage + bottle are you guys running on your Process 29'ers? So far I've only tried a standard side loaded cage + a regular 620ml Camelbak bottle, and it's not even close to room enough for that combo in my AL size large.

Would love a cage that fits in the frame with a 620ml bottle without any modifications or a hard time getting the bottle in and out.
    I'm running a Lyzene Flow SL (left hand because I like to keep my rear brake and shifter in-hand while drinking) that I modified to slide lower by opening up the mounting holes with a dremel tool - slotting them longer. The bottle and cage now sits very close to my shock (a Fox DPX2) and fits a Camelbak 24 oz bottle (710 ml is the conversion on that.)

mtbr member
    Looking to replace the 160mm Lyrik on '19 CR/DL 29 with a 170mm Lyrik and I'm on the fence about the offset. Current offset is 51mm, but I can get it in 42mm as well. I imagine the 10mm in travel increase will probably slacken the HT by around .5 deg, so I'm leaning towards the 42mm offset. I'm mostly riding bike park, so not a lot of climbing. Thoughts?

May contain nuts
    Doesnít a 170 air spring rod just drop in to the 160 Lyrik 29?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Doesnít a 170 air spring rod just drop in to the 160 Lyrik 29?
    It does. I'm working a trade in on my current fork, so I'm upgrading to the 2020 Ultimate.

Jiv
    mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thinking about picking up a Marzocchi Bomber CR coil shock for bike park days, but new to this whole coil thing. I know the size of the shock, 205mm x 60 mm trunnion mount, no problems there. But, do I need to get any mounting hardware? And what spring length to get? I'm around 95kg fully kitted, so I'm thinking a spring rate of 500 would be good, maybe 550.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12