mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Dawg Mod suggestions

I'm picking up my new 2005 Dawg today. Any modifications I should have thrown in before I drive it away? I've already told them to put Jack pedals on. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginDawg
    I'm picking up my new 2005 Dawg today. Any modifications I should have thrown in before I drive it away? I've already told them to put Jack pedals on. Thanks
    I just helped my buddy buy that same bike (by talking down the LBS as much as I could). I told him to replace the Hayes brakes with Shimano Deores (in my view, the Deores are much more powerful, have way more modulation and are problem free - no lever adjustment screws unscrewing, etc.). I don't like HFX-9's and never have. All my friends have them and they all agree that my lowly Deores are much better in every respect (except maybe snob appeal). In my view, the Deore hydro's are really underrated (the pads are way cheaper than Hayes as well). Think about it anyway, and talk to your LBS. See if they agree. Everyone at my LBS hates Hayes HFX-9's (although they don't talk very loudly when saying it, given that 3/4's of the bikes are spec'ed with them, and they hate swapping stuff out).

I also told my buddy to think about swapping the Deore shifters and f/d with LX (it's a cheap swap - $50 max total, likely way less). I also told him to look at the seat post - I can't stop staring at the clamp on the Truvativ it's spec'ed with. I don't like it at all. As well, the seat looks huge and heavy to me, although a seat is always personal preference.

The KK20 hub (or whatever it is) scares me as well, but he's going to take a chance on it since it's spec'ed on a ton of other (more expensive) Kona's.

My buddy is a very strong and experienced rider, but on a a brutally tight budget. He settled on the Dawg after looking at lots. He's likes Konas though (as do I).

Whatever you do, swap before you leave the shop - your components are worth nothing (except maybe on ebay) once you walk out the door.

Hope this has helped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...kona
    I just helped my buddy buy that same bike (by talking down the LBS as much as I could). I told him to replace the Hayes brakes with Shimano Deores (in my view, the Deores are much more powerful, have way more modulation and are problem free - no lever adjustment screws unscrewing, etc.). I don't like HFX-9's and never have. All my friends have them and they all agree that my lowly Deores are much better in every respect (except maybe snob appeal). In my view, the Deore hydro's are really underrated (the pads are way cheaper than Hayes as well). Think about it anyway, and talk to your LBS. See if they agree. Everyone at my LBS hates Hayes HFX-9's (although they don't talk very loudly when saying it, given that 3/4's of the bikes are spec'ed with them, and they hate swapping stuff out).

I also told my buddy to think about swapping the Deore shifters and f/d with LX (it's a cheap swap - $50 max total, likely way less). I also told him to look at the seat post - I can't stop staring at the clamp on the Truvativ it's spec'ed with. I don't like it at all. As well, the seat looks huge and heavy to me, although a seat is always personal preference.

The KK20 hub (or whatever it is) scares me as well, but he's going to take a chance on it since it's spec'ed on a ton of other (more expensive) Kona's.

My buddy is a very strong and experienced rider, but on a a brutally tight budget. He settled on the Dawg after looking at lots. He's likes Konas though (as do I).

Whatever you do, swap before you leave the shop - your components are worth nothing (except maybe on ebay) once you walk out the door.

Hope this has helped.
    Jesus that was well thought out.
    I'll look into the brake concern. I wasn't aware that the bike came with deore shifters. Personal preference, I like them. I've always used them because they're cheap and i've only had to replace them once in 4 years. I hate putting money parts in places that can get broke easy. I too have looked around for awhile and after a few years of saying that I'm going to buy a Dawg I finally sprung for the extra inch and slight upgrades (except the fork, what the hell's up with that?) Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VirginDawg
    Jesus that was well thought out.
    I'll look into the brake concern. I wasn't aware that the bike came with deore shifters. Personal preference, I like them. I've always used them because they're cheap and i've only had to replace them once in 4 years. I hate putting money parts in places that can get broke easy. I too have looked around for awhile and after a few years of saying that I'm going to buy a Dawg I finally sprung for the extra inch and slight upgrades (except the fork, what the hell's up with that?) Thanks for the feedback.
    This is the third time I've typed the same f'ing thing. My other two responses are floating around somewhere in cyberhell.

Anyway, please advise if you have any objective basis to be concerned about the stock fork on the Dawg. I did a bit of digging and concluded that it is likely not that bad. Sure it's inexpensive, but so is my Marz MXC on my Bear, and it kicks on the trail (although I think it is considerably heavier than the Fox I was considering upgrading to). My buddy is pulling the pin on the Dawg tomorrow and I can likely get him a good deal on a fork swap, if he needs to. However, he is on a tight budget so I haven't really given this a lot of thought. Maybe I should be.

Please let me know your thoughts ASAP.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...kona
    This is the third time I've typed the same f'ing thing. My other two responses are floating around somewhere in cyberhell.

Anyway, please advise if you have any objective basis to be concerned about the stock fork on the Dawg. I did a bit of digging and concluded that it is likely not that bad. Sure it's inexpensive, but so is my Marz MXC on my Bear, and it kicks on the trail (although I think it is considerably heavier than the Fox I was considering upgrading to). My buddy is pulling the pin on the Dawg tomorrow and I can likely get him a good deal on a fork swap, if he needs to. However, he is on a tight budget so I haven't really given this a lot of thought. Maybe I should be.

Please let me know your thoughts ASAP.

Thanks.
    No big complaints about the fork. Just a little bothered by the narrow sanctions and lack of adjustment choices. Those were my two main probs with it. That and the fact that everyting on the bike is upgraded except for that one feature that I haven't been crazy about in the past. Reviews haven't been too bad so I'm gonna give it a try.
    Thanks