mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Coiler knock from bottom bracket.

I have a 2004 Coiler and have a knocking noise from the bottom bracket area, it seems to me that the the bottom bracket is slightly loose in the thread causing it to knock under load, has anyone had experience of this?, does it just need tightening?

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    If the BB is loose you should be able to feel play in it when grabbing the cranks and pulling back and forth or wiggling them. That would also show a loose crankarm too. If nothing down there has any play just take it back to the shop where you bought it and tell them the deal. As long as they aren't too busy they will probably look at it and tighten everything down right there for you.

Just roll it......

Yeah, what Acme said.

It could be a worn Bottom Bracket bearing or it could be the crank/bb interface.

First thing I'd do is make sure everything is tight. Pull the cranks and check to see that the BB is tight. Also, I'd make sure everything has grease on it....that usually stops any creaking.

EB

is this thing on?
    mine does something simmiler. if it's the same, a clunking in the light choppy stuff, I don't think it's the bb. my best guess at this point, having gone over the whole thing several times, is that a slight play has developed in the lower shock mount. either where the bolt goes through the frame, the mount is preaty pinner when compared to other bikes of simmiler rear linkage, or on the shock it self. I don't know but it's starting to piss me off. but my situation being what it is, 1000 miles from the nearest Kona dealer, I'm just gonna ride her till she brakes, or I can get back to a shop, which ever comes first.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto
    mine does something simmiler. if it's the same, a clunking in the light choppy stuff, I don't think it's the bb. my best guess at this point, having gone over the whole thing several times, is that a slight play has developed in the lower shock mount. either where the bolt goes through the frame, the mount is preaty pinner when compared to other bikes of simmiler rear linkage, or on the shock it self. I don't know but it's starting to piss me off. but my situation being what it is, 1000 miles from the nearest Kona dealer, I'm just gonna ride her till she brakes, or I can get back to a shop, which ever comes first.
    At the risk of being heckled for posting to a 5 month old thread...I ran a search to see if anyone else had the same problem we do and evidently it happens to this bike more often than I thought. Nice Kona. Mine is doing the same thing...rattling sound when rolling over small bumps or "chop". Last night I installed new eyelet bushings, reducers and hardware. Thinking this was the magical cure. I didn't get outta the garage and it was still doing it. I've tighted ALL the pivot points, checked bearings, the bottom bracket, crank arms. Everything. I'm with this guy...I have to think it must be a weak lower shock mount on the frame. I haven't figured it out yet either but it's aggrivating the crap out of me too. If you guys have come up with any other explanation since this thread please let me know. L8R.
    - JJ
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!