mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Coiler Dee Lux sizing

This is my first post, so hey all. After having my 2002 Slayer stolen I was excited to grap a Kona- I used my hard earned insurance $ to get a Coiler Dee Lux 05. The thing is awesome, it is sled- but is a 17" too big? I'm 5-9 and I have no standover? It feels great riding around but... What is the thinking here with standover and this machine? Thanks D
    Last edited by bushdr; 02-01-2005 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling error

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi there , and welcome !
    Id say 17 sounds bout right , Im 6.1/2 and have a 19" Kona HT and a 18" Stinky(7" rear)
    Go by toptube lenght and yr intended use. More trail/uphill go for longer toptube , more DH/FR go for shorter toptube.
    Dont worry about standover (as long as U can straddle it without tiptoeing) as travel increases so does BB height and (for the most part) standover height.
    Congrats on yr new ride.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hey guys - I'm also on my first post, I thought I'd join up just to reply to this one! Anyway, I'm 5'9" and I've got a 17 inch Coiler Dee Lux too. Its the perfect size - heavy, but you don't notice it when you ride, only when you have to push it up the 20 stairs to get into my shed

They are magic bikes though - except for the tires (Nokian NBX 2.3) which are AWFUL. I'm now searching for a smilie that describes AWFUL - here's one so I've chucked on Maxxis Minions - 2.5, Super Tacky. They last about 6 minutes on the road but they're unrivalled on loose over hardpack.

Anyway, this post is supposed to be about sizing, sorry. 17 inch should be perfect! Happy riding.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by fergsnz
    ... except for the tires (Nokian NBX 2.3) which are AWFUL. I'm now searching for a smilie that describes AWFUL - here's one so I've chucked on Maxxis Minions - 2.5, Super Tacky. They last about 6 minutes on the road but they're unrivalled on loose over hardpack...
    The NBX 2.3 is a very good all-round trail tire. It is a bit small for bigger FR/DH work. I would say they were a slight under-spec for the Coiler DL. I will probably mount something like a Kenda Blue Groove 2.50 or Syncros Point 'n' Chute 2.5 for the first ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Appalache Cycles
    When buying a full susser, standover height is less important. As Casper says, the TT length is the one to watch. I'm a short a*#e, at only 5' 61/2" with a 31" inside leg and I ride an 17" '04 coiler. At first I was worried about standover, especially after I put 170mm up front and increased the rear to 7" travel, but I'm not worried now as the coilers aren't exactly standover friendly in any size! If it feels comfortable to ride, Don't worry.

Glad to Be Alive
    17 is about right. my friend rides a the same size and he is 5'8"
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The NBX 2.3 is a very good all-round trail tire. It is a bit small for bigger FR/DH work. I would say they were a slight under-spec for the Coiler DL. I will probably mount something like a Kenda Blue Groove 2.50 or Syncros Point 'n' Chute 2.5 for the first ride.

Yeah the NBX 2.3 was a bit of a mistake by Kona - it's too lightweight to be a freeride tire and it just doesn't match the bike at all. I've let Joe at Konaworld know of my displeasure and he seemed to understand where I was coming from. They may even change it for 06 he reckoned.

Here in Christchurch (New Zealand) we have a lot of dusty loose dirt over hardpack, and the NBX just goes straight ahead, doesn't matter where you're pointing it. However, we call the Blue Groove the "Kenda Surprise" over here. Who knows what the front of the bike's going to do when you ride one of those... it's always a surprise! Have never tried the Syncros though. People here generally use Maxxis High Rollers, Minions etc... as they tend to be a bit more "Point and Go" than other tires.