mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Coiler and bashguard

Hey, I'm a happy man now...
    just got my brand new Coiler... first full suspension...
    okay... several Qs...
    1. is there any bashguard that can fit in without taking out the largest chainring??
    2. the chain keeps hitting the chainstay is this normal?? i put on one of these chainstay protectors, but then i have to cut it a bit shorter, otherwise when i'm at 3x9, the chain will rub against the chainstay protector. is it that protector or is the bike just like this??
    3. when i sit on the bike without doing anything, the rear shock seems to be maxed out rite there, is it what it's supposed to be?? or should i adjust it?? should i make the coil part longer or shorter??
    sorry for my many questions, i'm a newbie in mountain biking...
    this is my new-found hobby, it's so fun so cool... just wanna make sure that things are right...
    thanks y'all!!

mtbr member

Some helpful hints

Quote Originally Posted by dikai_yang
    Hey, I'm a happy man now...
    just got my brand new Coiler... first full suspension...
    okay... several Qs...
    1. is there any bashguard that can fit in without taking out the largest chainring??
    2. the chain keeps hitting the chainstay is this normal?? i put on one of these chainstay protectors, but then i have to cut it a bit shorter, otherwise when i'm at 3x9, the chain will rub against the chainstay protector. is it that protector or is the bike just like this??
    3. when i sit on the bike without doing anything, the rear shock seems to be maxed out rite there, is it what it's supposed to be?? or should i adjust it?? should i make the coil part longer or shorter??
    sorry for my many questions, i'm a newbie in mountain biking...
    this is my new-found hobby, it's so fun so cool... just wanna make sure that things are right...
    thanks y'all!!
    Well congrats on getting the coiler, sweet bike!
    1. There used to be a thing called the "rock ring" by Girvin that fit over the large chainring, but I haven't seen one of those in years (lets just say they came in lots of pretty anodized colors). I would look honestly at what kind of riding you intend to do with your coiler. I ride a 04 stinky (which is pretty similar to the coiler as far as general frame design) with a single crown fork and a two ring setup and with the exception of the occasional fire road bomb, don't miss not having a big ring and enjoy being able to clear logs and such with the bash gaurd.
    2. My stinky has chainslap up the wazzoo!, and I use a SRAM derailuer which lessens chain slap compared to a Shimano derailuer. Most of the chainslap noise actually seems to be coming from the chain hitting the bottom of the swingarm near the cranks. There's lots of material there, so I really don't worry about it too much.
    3. Your coiler should have about 20-25% sag when sitting on it. This means the suspension should use no more than 1.5" of its 6" travel. Take it back to the bike shop and make them set it up for you, that's part of their responsibility as a bike dealer.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Hayduke1972; 08-26-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0