mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Coiler 05 fork upgrade...opinions wanted!

I am buying a 2005 Kona Coiler and need opinions on the stock front fork that comes with the bike (Marzocchi Drop Offs 150mm) and whether it would be worth upgrading it from the get go.
    I cannot find any info on these forks anywhere, not even the zocchi website lists them in their 2005 OEM forks.
    I need opinions from owners and people who have ridden the 05 coiler or have these forks on another bike and whether these forks are tough enough for the intended purpose of the bike (freeride, few hits, still pedal uphill).
    I have a couple of other opions as lbs will upgrade forks to either:
    1) 2005 Marzocchi Z1 FR3's for $AUD 300: or
    2) 2005 Manitou Stance Flow for $AUD 100.

What are riders opinions on the above models of fork and are they much of a muchness?

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by todd5
    I am buying a 2005 Kona Coiler and need opinions on the stock front fork that comes with the bike (Marzocchi Drop Offs 150mm) and whether it would be worth upgrading it from the get go.
    I cannot find any info on these forks anywhere, not even the zocchi website lists them in their 2005 OEM forks.
    I need opinions from owners and people who have ridden the 05 coiler or have these forks on another bike and whether these forks are tough enough for the intended purpose of the bike (freeride, few hits, still pedal uphill).
    I have a couple of other opions as lbs will upgrade forks to either:
    1) 2005 Marzocchi Z1 FR3's for $AUD 300: or
    2) 2005 Manitou Stance Flow for $AUD 100.

What are riders opinions on the above models of fork and are they much of a muchness?

Thanks in advance!!
    Do a search in the Shocks section for these forks and for Jr. T's, which are essentially the same but 7 inches. You'll find lots of feedback on these. But to summarize - the consensus is that they are okay forks for most applications, but the damping is crude and tends to ramp up on successive quick hits. The most complaints are from guys that encounter stutter bumps, as you would find at Whistler.

For general trail riding and big hits, however, they'd be perfectly fine...

you cant handle bars.
    Dec 2004
    instead of buying another fork, buy a hscv cartridge. it'll make the fork rebound adjustable and much smoother on small stutter bumps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

owners opinion

I recently got an 05 coilerwith the dropoff fork. I have found no major problems with it so far, however i havnt been able to really ride it hard being that the trails around where I live are in pretty bad shape. As far as the dampening goes it is pretty harsh, not so good for trail riding, but it is for dropping and thats where is shines. I have only been able to do small drops so far (3-4 ft) but the fork soaks it up like a champ. Before buying another fork you might as well look into the cartridge that the others posts talked about, ive heard they work really well.
    Hope that helps, Joe