mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Coilair versus Nomad

I'm getting an new 06 for very extreme, technical cross country riding (straight up, straight down, with roots, rocks, drops, off camber stuff, etc.). My Bear is getting killed this season. It will be my new winter ride.

I've always been a Kona guy. I'm thinking Coilair, but I am also drawn to the Santa Cruz Nomad. They're within a few hundred bucks of each other (at least at the place where I buy from).

The Nomad would be built with some Easton stuff, an XT drivetrain, Avid 7's, a 36 RC2 and a DHX. Component-wise, they're about equal (the Coilair might be a bit better with the RF Atlas cranks). The Nomad will likely be 2 or 3 pounds lighter, and will likely look nicer given the strange green paint Kona decided to use with the Coilair.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hmm, have to see how that coil air works out. I Have an 05 coiler deelux and do sick stuff with it i love it. I had a Kona dawg before and loved kona because of it. My 02cents would be to see how that air shock on a long travel bike works out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Both bikes use the same shock and have about the same travel
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Still on Training Wheels!
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Don't get me wrong shiggy, you have help hundred on this web site and have a huge amount of knowledge about biking, but that was the most vague response I have ever seen you make.

Both bikes are relativly new in the fact that this is the first year that the Nomad has been made and the Coilair(Coiler) has been spec'd with an air shock, so most comments are going to be hear say. MBA had a good article on the Nomad and called it the "Only bike you'll ever need". I'd take it for a grain of salt being that santa cruz is a big advertiser in their magazine. Both The Coilair and the Nomad have proven designs so you know they will work. If you want my uneducated opinion I would go for the Nomad. The nomad has a bit more travel(6.6in) than the coilair(6in) and Will come stock a couple pounds lighter. I also find that the VPP design of the Nomad is more compliant than the faux bar of Kona, and has little to no brake jack. I'm not sure if this really matters much when tou use an air shock because of the ability to dial in the right about of platform for your weight and riding style.

On a side note...I absolutly love the top tube of the Nomad
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by drum714
    Don't get me wrong shiggy, you have help hundred on this web site and have a huge amount of knowledge about biking, but that was the most vague response I have ever seen you make...
    Sorry, I should have quoted. It was a reply to IrideKona, not a reply to the original question. Obvious if you do not use the linear view mode. I prefer threaded view.

Does this make more sense?

Quote Originally Posted by IrideKona
    Hmm, have to see how that coil air works out. I Have an 05 coiler deelux and do sick stuff with it i love it. I had a Kona dawg before and loved kona because of it. My 02cents would be to see how that air shock on a long travel bike works out.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My 05 Coiler dl has a fox dhx 4.0 shock, with 6 inches travel, my Dawg dl has a fox air shock with 4 inches of travel? I upgraded because i was replacing parts on the dawg to frequently, I have had no problems with frame but parts were to cross country oriented on the dawg. I feel like the coiler dl is just right for me at 6 inch, but it's heavy and the marz 66 makes a steep angle for going up hill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Kona linkage will be more reliable, and I think stiffer laterally. From what I can tell the nomad brake Jacks, and the Coiler brake squats a little. The VPP bike will have more pedal kickback.

VPP will be less active under pedal load. This can be good and bad. It may suffer a little pedalling hard through rough stuff.

The nomad will most likely accelerate and sprint a little better, and maybe pedal better out of the saddle. The DHX pedal platform is pretty solid, and makes everything pedal well in all conditions, so this effect may be minimized.

You will most likely be thrilled either way.

I loved my '05 Coiler Primo, and I will have my Coil Air as soon as next week.

I have not ridden either model, but I have ridden many Konas a lot, and a good number of VPP bikes too. I am pretty familiar with the DHX Air, very impressive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Check Tscheezy`s Interbike DirtDemo Day2 ridereports...

Check Tscheezy`s Interbike DirtDemo ridereports over at the Turner forum , he and his buddies rode a lot of bikes at the DirtDemo , heres what they had to say bout the Nomad:
    **quote:
    Santa Cruz Nomad- Fox 36 Van/DHX Air (6.5x6.5"). We were actually all a bit disappointed in the Nomad, possibly because we had very high expectations for it (partly because we liked the seemingly similar 6.6 a lot, and that was a medium) that went unfulfilled. This was one bike which did not seem as well suited to the 36 Van as the 6-Pack and others. It was hard to put a finger on just what did not click with us, but it seemed that the frame was designed around a Pike-height fork, and the Van just tipped it over backwards too much like the 888 made the VPFree somewhat annoying for much other than dedicated FR or shuttle use. I increased the air pressure to what I run on my 6-Pack in the DHX Air and it did reduce sag to about 25% and stop the rear end squish to a point, but the handling didn't really recover fully. Whereas the Pack and 6.6 felt balanced and confidence inspiring, the Nomad felt unbalanced and sort of vague in handling so you felt like you were reacting to what was going on and not totally in control. It was very plush and pedaled well, it just did not come together as a package. None of us could pinpoint what was bugging us about it though...
    **unquote

Cheers