Calling all Kikapu owners out there!!!

Hey all,
    I have a question for all you Kona fans. I need a new frame and dont have much cash on hand. I have seen a 04 Kikapu Deluxe on sale for $600 which I think is a good price, not to mention the color matches my fork perfectly. (I know thats not important but thats the way I am) I wanted to get some general feedback on the frame. (What you like, dont like)

Also, more importantly I need to know about the sizing - how it fits you. Especially if you happen to have an 18" frame. The reason I ask is I ahve never ridden a Kona and after looking at the Frame sizing on their website I think that a 17" would be better. Problem is I can't get a 17".

BTW I am 5'8" and have about a 30" inseam - my biggest concern is standover height, I like my bikes a little smaller and maneuverable...so what are your thoughts???

Thanks for the help, oh and I would also be glad to hear from anyone who knows where I might be able to get a 17". It has to be someplace I can order onlilne as I am in Europe currently.

Thanks again...

Me again....

Sorry, forgot to ask about the ETT (effective top tube) like I said I don't know much about Kona's and did not find this on their website. Maybe some enlightened Guru can point me in the right direction - since I will not have a chance to ride before I buy I really need as much info as possible. I am an experienced rider and have a good idea of what I need sizewise, I just need some advice from those of you with real world experience.

Thanks again.....

mtbr member
    May 2004

I have an 18"

Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Hey all,
    I have a question for all you Kona fans. I need a new frame and dont have much cash on hand. I have seen a 04 Kikapu Deluxe on sale for $600 which I think is a good price, not to mention the color matches my fork perfectly. (I know thats not important but thats the way I am) I wanted to get some general feedback on the frame. (What you like, dont like)

Also, more importantly I need to know about the sizing - how it fits you. Especially if you happen to have an 18" frame. The reason I ask is I ahve never ridden a Kona and after looking at the Frame sizing on their website I think that a 17" would be better. Problem is I can't get a 17".

BTW I am 5'8" and have about a 30" inseam - my biggest concern is standover height, I like my bikes a little smaller and maneuverable...so what are your thoughts???

Thanks for the help, oh and I would also be glad to hear from anyone who knows where I might be able to get a 17". It has to be someplace I can order onlilne as I am in Europe currently.

Thanks again...
    I am also 5' 8" with a 30" inseam.
    I have ridden 17's, but the 18 fits like a 17. I don't know but think it is measured ctr to top.

the top tube standover is fine for a XC bike. It is maneuverable, but stable, with a 70 deg head angle (when running 100mm fork, i think)

I don't think they even offer a 17 in the Kikapu line; only in the Dawg line.

But I wouldn't have any concerns whatsoever about this frame. Also, it rides real nice, climbs good and descends fast.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Shredding with Good Comrades: Soul Music

Even better we are about the same size...

mtnbkrdr98 - thanks very much for the info. I will be using it as my XC / all day riding bike So I am not too worried about stand over. Thanks for the recomendation.

Topher