mtbr member

Anyone riding a Process 165?

Well, after all of the konas ive owned I'm down to just one, my Hei Hei 29. Im looking to add something a little different this spring and trying to decide whether to build a 153 29 or a 165. This rig will spend most of its time pointed down and grinding fire roads when shuttles/lifts arent available. Definitely looking for more of a plow bike than finesse.

There seems to be little no reviews or post from owners of these bikes. Anyone out there running one?

TIA
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

Gangreen
    Aug 2008
    I'm not but have always been interested. Check this out -it may sway you! https://www.cambriabike.com/products...13172266074224

mtbr member
    Edit: Found 165

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by nowshon View Post
    I'm not but have always been interested. Check this out -it may sway you! https://www.cambriabike.com/products...13172266074224
    Holy shit.

Let's be clear - I am not buying it. But still.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nowshon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Holy shit.

Let's be clear - I am not buying it. But still.
    Thanks!

I've eyeballed that 167 for a bit, and could probably get the 2016 model for the same discount as i've bought 4 bikes from them. In the end, its a 26" and for me its a BIG adjustment coming off of riding 29ers for 6 years. Having to adapt to such small wheels can be tough. Built a new SB66 and put 4-5 rides on it and sold it becuase of the front tire kept getting swallowed up by every hole in the trail. Made for some pretty intense moments.

The 165s seem to be pretty stagnant so prices are low on leftover and used units. Wouldn't be much more to buy a used 165 over the new 167 and still have a little resale left. The 167 would be like trying to sell used condoms.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    ...The 167 would be like trying to sell used condoms.
    Bahahahahahaha!!! So true!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Love my 165!

Rode a 2018 153 CR DL most of the season before going to the 165 for reference. The 165 doesn’t share the nimble technical climbing characteristics as the CR DL, but is surprisingly good on the uphills all around. Rides high in its travel when pedaling- perfect bike for big fire road grinds and not a total pig on singletrack ascents by any means. I’m not about to go pedal the 165 on a 25 mile ride with 4K of singletrack climbing, but it wouldn’t be out totally out of the question if the descent was worth it.

Obviously a difference in stiffness between it and the CR, particularly in cornering, but fully anticipated that as the CR/DL is one of the stiffest carbon bikes in its class.

Descending, the bike is purposeful yet still playful. I like the predictable feeling of the coil on jumps more than my CR/DL with two tokens in the Super Deluxe. Not quite as much pop, but I don’t seem to find the bottom on lips the same way as the air shock, which could be terrifying if you weren’t “on it.”

At speed the bike is stable through the rough. Enjoyed smashing it through rocks although I didn’t get a chance to ride quite as much chunder as I would have liked picking it up late in the season.

My 165 has upgraded brakes, contact points/cockpit and hand-built alloy wheels and weighs in just under 36lbs with a pump and a tube strapped to it.

Let me know if you have specific questions!

mtbr member
    I have not ridden either one, but I do have a Balance. 165+ are definitely bikes that can plow and pedal if needed. I have a buddy that rides a Scout and he beats me on the climbs, but I catch him on the descents.

I would tend to think the 165 would be a better compliment to the Hei Hei than a 153 because they have less crossover. That's why I like the Honzo so much as a comfortable XC bike. I am evening think of bumping the fork travel on my Balance for more separation.