inner peace to make peace

'98 Lavadome with '05 Marz. AM1 eta 150mm?

I've got 100mm M. MX Comp ETA fork on my trusty steel hardtail, '98 Lavadome.

I was going to buy a 80mm Sid air fork (and set my MX on my Schwinn Moab3, as a spare "guest/winter" bike) to do more xc races, but now I'm leaning towards a '05 Marz AM1 (with ETA)130~150mm coil fork.

My Lavadome started its life with an elastomer fork RS Indy S, 50mm.

I'm not concerned about voiding the warrenty. I will keep my steel hardtail until I or the frame has gone to Elysium. I have a 15 degree 100mm stem I can mount reverse angle. I use 23" flat bar and ti. seat post, tubeless rear wheel & disk. I'm about 50% norba xc racing and 50% all mountian trail riding (Downieville, Moab, Eagle MT. Mammoth) ...somtimes taking shuttles or gondola, when available. Eventually, i'll get a Coiler or a Stinky or a Stab, but until i make up my mind what Kona fs free-rider or DH bike will complement my hardtail, I'm leaning towards a AM1 over a Sid fork, even for the '05 xc racing season. By the time my LBS wrench installs AM1 for me I'll have spent about $850 (vs $450 for a Sid).

my thinking:

100mm MX Comp: Good trail fork for sensiable riders (compromise)
    80mm Sid: Good xc race fork for norba nuts and climbing freaks (faster)
    150mm AM1 w/ETA: Freaky trail fork for drop-off nuts (more fun)

OK, Kona fans what do you think? Go ahead with AM1 or save my money (and 2.2# ) by trying out the Sid, which my fast 140# son recommends (he has it on his race bike). Oh, I'm 200#s now, I was 175# this summer while road bike riding alot and I'm likely to be 170#s by SeaOtter time.
    Last edited by TrailNut; 12-17-2004 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Man, no way I'd put a 150 mm fork on an old Lavadome. Warranty or not, I just wouldn't trust it. Also the handling would be completely wacky and it would suck to climb with the fork so raked out (sure, you can use ETA for the long climbs, but what about the shorter ones?)

I've never ridden a SID, but from what I've heard they might be a bit too flexy for a heavier guy (hmm, your 140 lb son's advice smacks of self-interest )

Have you considered the Marathon series of forks? These sound like they might be more appropriate for your riding and the frame you have to work with. But even so I can't seen much advantage over your current fork.

My vote: keep the Lavadome in XC trim, put that $850 towards a long travel freeride rig.

inner peace to make peace

Sid

Ok, I've decided to get a Sid then later buy a Coiler and then a Boxxer Race or Shermand Slider Plus for the Coiler
    Last edited by TrailNut; 12-20-2004 at 03:13 PM.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut
    Ok, I've decided to get a Sid then later buy a Coiler and then a Boxxer Race for the Coiler
    That sounds like a good plan - the Boxxer would be a good match for the Coiler and would make a for nice light freeride setup.

UK Biker

What a relief!

I doubt that Lava Dome would have lasted very long with 130mm forks especially if you started freeriding it.

Money better put towards a Coiler or Stab. I think rather than spending extra cash to fit a Boxxer better off going for the Coiler delux with the more robust parts and still freeride capable Marzocchi 66 fork (better turning circle too).

Later

Fluff