2019 Konas- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 66 of 66

Thread: 2019 Konas

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    351

    2019 Konas

    Im still loving my 2018 153 29er

    but theres the carbon version for next year
    2019 Konas-2018_kona_1.jpg

    hardtails already appearing
    The 2019 Cinder Cone and Kahuna are here! | KONA COG

    would love one of the new honzos too, but what flavour
    2019 Konas-djoqwq6u0aeowrh.jpg

    Rove ST has gone skinwall
    2019 Konas-djgowcduwae-20.jpg

    153 CR ?
    2019 Konas-djzoelruwaa_22f.jpg

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    They nailed the colors on the 153 29 carbon. Your guess if it'll come as a frame only option.

    Might just buy a highly discounted complete aluminum if I can't get just the frame

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    69
    The Big Honzo ST is looking pretty cool. Tempted by the frame-only option. Cobble together some parts.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    351
    Oohh 153 29 CR comes with removable headset cups to you can tweek the HA yourself.
    If they do a frame only option would make for a good project bike!

    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/konas-2019--lineup.html

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: b00001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    194
    Frame = $3099

    Wonder what it weighs????? Would have to throw that Debonair in the trash first off though.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    Oohh 153 29 CR comes with removable headset cups to you can tweek the HA yourself.
    If they do a frame only option would make for a good project bike!

    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/konas-2019--lineup.html
    The 2019 colors look WAY better than the 18s. No more brown DL 29. Like the upgraded shock and carbon rocker as well.

    Nearly all bikes have removable headset cups so thats no different than your current bike.

    Frame only option is there but i would feel foolish paying retail for any kona, particularly $3100 for an 80/20 carbon & aluminum frame. When they go 20-30% off, the bikes/frames will be more in line of what they're actually worth.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    463
    I know a guy with the 153 that really loves it, but every time I see Kona updates, I wonder how many of those they sell. First, they discontinue the 111...and they still don't have the 134 in carbon.

    Surely they're losing sales by not offering either of those options...people like me generally don't round up from 134 to 153. (Although the '19 seafoam(?) GX colorways looks really ).

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    I know a guy with the 153 that really loves it, but every time I see Kona updates, I wonder how many of those they sell. First, they discontinue the 111...and they still don't have the 134 in carbon.

    Surely they're losing sales by not offering either of those options...people like me generally don't round up from 134 to 153. (Although the '19 seafoam(?) GX colorways looks really ).
    FWIW, my LBS still has the same process 153 29DL theyve had since november. They've put it out on social media,its been on demos, just nobody wants it. This same shop moves Yeti 4.5s, 5.5s, sentinels and smugglers and even old stock 1st gen process bikes. Its not a shop issue.

    Too bad as they really should have done their gen 2 release with the configurations the 19s have instead of what showed up on the 18s.

    On a positive note, i'm getting quoted at close to 30% off on some 2018s so might be building one up yet.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  9. #9
    loud hubs save lives
    Reputation: sennaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018_Kona_1.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	1210549
    10/10 would bang.

    153 is surely too much bike for the majority of my riding, but the demo truck comes to my local trails in a month and Iíll be first in line to try the 27.5 and 29 versions ... then will sit around and see if a mid travel is ever released

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    10/10 would bang.

    153 is surely too much bike for the majority of my riding, but the demo truck comes to my local trails in a month and Iíll be first in line to try the 27.5 and 29 versions ... then will sit around and see if a mid travel is ever released
    That DL is sexy AF for sure.

    Gave up on waiting for 111 replacement or mid travel bike from them. Resigned to building an all carbon hei hei 29 for the 80% of the riding i do, and splitting rest on my jake CX rig and building a coiled 153 29 AL for the times i have a deathwish.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 582fresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    anyone have any insight into how the race versions of the '19 Hei Heis are going to be spec'd?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    296
    I am in the same boat as some above. Kona has the ETT and reach numbers that I need at 6'5" with a long torso and their process line pairs well with Honzo but I have no need for 153mm of travel where I ride. I would go Hei Hei but they are much shorter in the ETT. I am currently looking for a used 111 or going with another brand.

  13. #13
    Sim
    Sim is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    87
    fresh, I got a glance at the Kona catalogue. The only Hei Hei I looked at was the cr/dl. They went back to a Fox 34 upfront, I didn't see which shock they speced, but assume it's a Fox. The rest of the parts looked similar to the current spec. All SRAM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 582fresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    fresh, I got a glance at the Kona catalogue. The only Hei Hei I looked at was the cr/dl. They went back to a Fox 34 upfront, I didn't see which shock they speced, but assume it's a Fox. The rest of the parts looked similar to the current spec. All SRAM.
    thx. i need to swing by my shop today or tomorrow. hopefully if i mention that i want to give them money they will let me take a peek at said catalog.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 582fresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by 582fresh View Post
    thx. i need to swing by my shop today or tomorrow. hopefully if i mention that i want to give them money they will let me take a peek at said catalog.
    The catalog has just 2 29er Hei Heis. Both the 120/100 travel variety. One carbon, one aluminum. Maybe a new hurt locker XC whip is on the way later in the year.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Was able to snap a pic of the new 153 29c at the kona tent in mont saint anne this weekend. Can totally say it looks even better in person.

    2019 Konas-img_20180811_173036670_hdr.jpg
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    292
    I kinda hoped they would sharpen up the actual seat tube angle for 2019. Its probably my only frustration with my current Process CR

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Surely they're losing sales by not offering either of those options...people like me generally don't round up from 134 to 153.
    Yeah, they probably lost me. I love my 111, only thing that would be better is a lighter, carbon version of the same bike.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by toodles View Post
    I kinda hoped they would sharpen up the actual seat tube angle for 2019. Its probably my only frustration with my current Process CR
    Basically all manufactures new geo frames are still gonna have slack-ish actual while virtual is getting steeper and steeper. Sizing will be critical if you are hung up on this. Want short CS? That tire has to go somewhere under compression. Want long reach? BB has to be moved rearward. Easiest solution will be to get zero setback droppers and shove the seat forward.

    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    Yeah, they probably lost me. I love my 111, only thing that would be better is a lighter, carbon version of the same bike.
    We've wanted that since 2014 and seems that everyone but Kona is building it. Gave up and bought a 2018 hei hei race supreme frame and will buy a 153 29 frame this fall.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    37
    I have a 2019 Honzo al dl on order that will be delivered next week. I donít know what color it will be. My LBS told me that Kona wouldnít have any ready to ship until the the end of September but they were able to sweet talk Kona into shipping one out on Monday.
    I can take pictures/answer any questions people have once I get the bike.
    I hope itís similar to the blue and orange one above.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by MB_rider View Post
    I have a 2019 Honzo al dl on order that will be delivered next week. I donít know what color it will be. My LBS told me that Kona wouldnít have any ready to ship until the the end of September but they were able to sweet talk Kona into shipping one out on Monday.
    I can take pictures/answer any questions people have once I get the bike.
    I hope itís similar to the blue and orange one above.
    The one pictured above is the AL DL

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Justachillin2 View Post
    The one pictured above is the AL DL
    I like the color for sure. The sector will be interesting to try out. I love the Reba I currently have on one of my bikes.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Color looks sweet. Lots of affordable fork upgrade options available now.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  24. #24
    Geaux ride!
    Reputation: CajunAg08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by 582fresh View Post
    The catalog has just 2 29er Hei Heis. Both the 120/100 travel variety. One carbon, one aluminum. Maybe a new hurt locker XC whip is on the way later in the year.
    What color was the carbon model? And did you notice which SRAM drivetrain tier?
    2011 Jamis Dakar XCR Team
    2018 Spot Rocker SS

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    2019 Honzo's are posted in konaworld:

    KONA BIKES
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    838
    Anybody else a little underwhelmed? I was really hoping for a couple of higher end carbon models, with one a little more XC build with good hoops. I have a ti Honzo, but I mightíve broken down with something like that

    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    2019 Honzo's are posted in konaworld:

    KONA BIKES

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Anybody else a little underwhelmed? I was really hoping for a couple of higher end carbon models, with one a little more XC build with good hoops. I have a ti Honzo, but I mightíve broken down with something like that
    Yes I agree. I am trying to decide on a frame then build or the CR and upgrade. It would have been nice to have one step higher up. The pricing is good though.
    The Hei Hei's have been slashed up also. Only one carbon 29er. Good value but not much selection.
    I think the process is what makes Kona money.

  28. #28
    Rides like a girl
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Yes I agree. I am trying to decide on a frame then build or the CR and upgrade. It would have been nice to have one step higher up. The pricing is good though.
    The Hei Hei's have been slashed up also. Only one carbon 29er. Good value but not much selection.
    I think the process is what makes Kona money.
    I agree about the Process.
    And I am very glad I got my '17 Hei Hei. I really don't like what's available now.
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee View Post
    Yes I agree. I am trying to decide on a frame then build or the CR and upgrade. It would have been nice to have one step higher up. The pricing is good though.
    The Hei Hei's have been slashed up also. Only one carbon 29er. Good value but not much selection.
    I think the process is what makes Kona money.
    IMHO, always buy the frame separately for the lowest price possible and build it the way you want. You'll find that unless youre buying a complete bike for 40%+ off, assembling it yourself will be cheaper/better.

    https://centrecitycycles.com/products-page/closeouts/
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    431
    I have bought frames and built and also upgraded new bikes. The numbers have to be crunched to make sense. Building a bike from scratch is not cheap but I will agree it is exactly what you want.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeremy3220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,328
    I was considering an alloy Honzo DL but the 2019 model comes with a Rockshox Sektor fork and the 2018 DL is sold out in my size (XL). Considering getting the AL/DL and selling the stock fork since there doesn't seem to be much difference in it and the DL other than how crappy of a fork you get. The other option is to go with the carbon version but the reach is listed at 485 instead of the usual 510mm, not sure if that's a misprint.

  32. #32
    > 55
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    124
    On the 2019 Big Honzo's - is there a frame only option? There was for the 2018 models, but 2019? I have an email into Kona......to verify one way or the other. Anyone know?

    Big Honzo's have a bit slacker HT angle this year vs last year, more room for 29er tires than 18 model year, but 2018 is probably the better deal this fall / winter. Really would only consider a big honzo 2019 frame only option unless I can get a good deal on 2018 frame closeout.

  33. #33
    loud hubs save lives
    Reputation: sennaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    693


    Demoíd a 2019 153 cr 29er yesterday ... what a monster on the downhills.

  34. #34
    loud hubs save lives
    Reputation: sennaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    693

    2019 Konas

    Quote Originally Posted by gerryl View Post
    On the 2019 Big Honzo's - is there a frame only option? There was for the 2018 models, but 2019? I have an email into Kona......to verify one way or the other. Anyone know?

    Big Honzo's have a bit slacker HT angle this year vs last year, more room for 29er tires than 18 model year, but 2018 is probably the better deal this fall / winter. Really would only consider a big honzo 2019 frame only option unless I can get a good deal on 2018 frame closeout.
    2019 is only slacker because they are specíing a longer fork and the 2018 with shorter chainstays has plenty of room for 29s

    I havenít gotten around to building plus wheels for mine yet ... doubt it would fit a 2.6 though :


  35. #35
    > 55
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post
    2019 is only slacker because they are specíing a longer fork and the 2018 with shorter chainstays has plenty of room for 29s

    I havenít gotten around to building plus wheels for mine yet ... doubt it would fit a 2.6 though :
    Makes sense (120 fork vs 130) as HT angle is only .5 degrees different. I was wondering about wider 29 2.4 or 2.6 tires, seat tube looks a bit too close. Chainstays are longer on the 19 model year so wider or taller tire rubbing on seat tube is probably not an issue.

    Probably don't have a need for 2.6 tires.....but it is a nice option to have. But an 18' closeout might change my mind.

  36. #36
    loud hubs save lives
    Reputation: sennaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    693
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryl View Post
    Makes sense (120 fork vs 130) as HT angle is only .5 degrees different. I was wondering about wider 29 2.4 or 2.6 tires, seat tube looks a bit too close. Chainstays are longer on the 19 model year so wider or taller tire rubbing on seat tube is probably not an issue.

    Probably don't have a need for 2.6 tires.....but it is a nice option to have. But an 18' closeout might change my mind.
    Thatís a 29 x 2.35 forekaster on my 2018 .. a true 2.4 should fit, but would be pretty close. 2019 should have a lot more space with the extra chainstay length

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post


    Demoíd a 2019 153 cr 29er yesterday ... what a monster on the downhills.
    The 2019s are so much better looking, especially the carbon.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    KONA BIKES | MTB | KONA ELECTRIC | Remote CTRL

    Slight rant:

    Disclaimer; i have nothing against the idea of e-bikes as i have friends and family with injuries and those who are advancing in age that could benefit from an assisted bike.

    When you challenge the idea that e-bikes will end up being ridden by lazy people, the proponents say no "they will help people with XYZ conditions enjoy the outdoors". This is repeated over and over in the forums and shops.

    Fast forward to all of the industries marketing materials and there's not a disabled or older person in sight. On the contrary its the raddest shredders (like Agassiz) or young/fit people riding these bikes in the videos. Marketing departments do not want these bikes associated with the people who could really benefit from them because then the bikes would be perceived as "uncool". No normal consumer, no matter how lazy would spend 5-6k on a bike that is as uncool. Just look at niner.

    In Kona's case, i dont see the point in this and really expected more from them.

    Rant/off
    M
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 582fresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAg08 View Post
    What color was the carbon model? And did you notice which SRAM drivetrain tier?
    The carbon one was a grey-green-ish color. Probably GX Eagle, I didn't look too hard. I thought it came with a Pike but someone else commented it had a Fox. I don't remember honestly.

    The alloy one is HERE

    Aqua blue w/ NX and a Sektor.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    I don't mean this as reply or comment to your slight rant, but Hell yeah Kona! I have been waiting years for this. I demoed some e-mtb trek 3 years ago for a weekend, and then decided that as soon as Kona comes out with full susser e-mtb I will get one. Already ordered this. Should arrive at end of october!

    Now the disclaimer. I know most of people on this forum are from US, and internet has thought me that this is controversial topic there because of very different trail access situation than what we have. So I fully understand that Kona making an E-mtb is different thing there.

    We have very different situation. I live in an country where there is loads of space for relatively small population. We have every mans rights, in this case it means you can ride your MTB everywhere in the forests, even privately owned ones, property owner can't prohibit that. This level of e-mtb is classified the same, you can ride it anywhere.

    I view this bike as integrated lift access! It's same as me going to bikepark and taking the lift up, but this is just with much more freedom and wastes lot less electricity. In any case lot's better than using truck for shuttling people and bikes up. Besides that I expect this to be awesome on flat terrain, I don't have big hills or mountains right at my doorstep, and hope that this bike will change flats into downhills.

    I will still keep racing enduro and stuff with my other non electric mountainbikes. Just really looking forward to this. Will be a blast!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestige View Post
    I don't mean this as reply or comment to your slight rant, but Hell yeah Kona! I have been waiting years for this. I demoed some e-mtb trek 3 years ago for a weekend, and then decided that as soon as Kona comes out with full susser e-mtb I will get one. Already ordered this. Should arrive at end of october!

    Now the disclaimer. I know most of people on this forum are from US, and internet has thought me that this is controversial topic there because of very different trail access situation than what we have. So I fully understand that Kona making an E-mtb is different thing there.

    We have very different situation. I live in an country where there is loads of space for relatively small population. We have every mans rights, in this case it means you can ride your MTB everywhere in the forests, even privately owned ones, property owner can't prohibit that. This level of e-mtb is classified the same, you can ride it anywhere.

    I view this bike as integrated lift access! It's same as me going to bikepark and taking the lift up, but this is just with much more freedom and wastes lot less electricity. In any case lot's better than using truck for shuttling people and bikes up. Besides that I expect this to be awesome on flat terrain, I don't have big hills or mountains right at my doorstep, and hope that this bike will change flats into downhills.

    I will still keep racing enduro and stuff with my other non electric mountainbikes. Just really looking forward to this. Will be a blast!

    No worries and i understand your point and appreciate that you recognize the difference between trail access in our two countries. The state i reside in has ZERO public land.

    On a side note, I was at UCI world cup event last month and a lot of the athletes and crews were on e-bike when crusing around the pits and course when not racing. There were also quite a few being used as tow bikes to get the DH guys to the lifts.

    You might be one of the few that buy an e-MTB from kona so post some pics and thoughts when you do!
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    You might be one of the few that buy an e-MTB from kona so post some pics and thoughts when you do!
    I'm curious to see how it is going to sell here. It's really good price they got on the bike. Mondraker e-Crafty r+ that has very similar spec has 1000usd higher RRP. I think the main issue for enthusiasts is the Bosch motor. It seems to loose out to Shimano motor in number of ways.
    Last edited by Prestige; 09-06-2018 at 07:36 AM.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    2019 Hei Hei have been updated. Glad I bought my race supreme frame when i did because the DL is now the only frame only option for 2019. It has a fox performance shock thats worth half the value of the factory fox from the 2018 race but frame is same price....LoL

    Colors on base hei hei 29 are pretty sick though

    KONA BIKES | MTB | HEI HEI
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    351
    Rear mech died (clutch went)

    Sram cant get a replacement for another month!

    When my mech died on my 2015 process at leats sram replaced it quickly, but Im starting to think that SRAm is the problem, shimano10speed on my hardtail far tougher!


    So picking up my shiny new XT kit later!

  45. #45
    Rides like a girl
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbers View Post
    Rear mech died (clutch went)

    Sram cant get a replacement for another month!

    When my mech died on my 2015 process at leats sram replaced it quickly, but Im starting to think that SRAm is the problem, shimano10speed on my hardtail far tougher!


    So picking up my shiny new XT kit later!
    Enjoy the XT kit!
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    774
    Anyone have any idea when the Steel BIG Honzo will available and what color? I see the regular Honzo is already out and the color is fantastic!

    I like the idea of the AL Big honzo but the color is horrid.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001 View Post
    Anyone have any idea when the Steel BIG Honzo will available and what color? I see the regular Honzo is already out and the color is fantastic!

    I like the idea of the AL Big honzo but the color is horrid.
    It's already there: KONA BIKES | MTB | BIG HONZO | Big Honzo ST Comes frame-only too, which is tempting.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    774
    Is the St 2019 Big Honzo frame-only the same color as the whole bike which is dark blue?

  49. #49
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,701
    ^ yes
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by *onespeed* View Post
    ^ yes
    thanky!

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    It's already there: KONA BIKES | MTB | BIG HONZO | Big Honzo ST Comes frame-only too, which is tempting.
    Picked my frame up yesterday. Building it up rigid SS for now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #52
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,589
    They dropped my beloved Paddy Wagon from the lineup. 100% steel fixie goodness. Sure am thankful I picked up a 2015 a while ago. $750 CDN out the door ($566 USD).

    It's very excited to soon have a baby brother steel Honzo it can hang with in my garage.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by FifferFeff View Post
    Picked my frame up yesterday. Building it up rigid SS for now.

    I put one on my Xmas wish list. The chances my wife will buy it for me are equivalent to the proverbial snowball in hell.

  54. #54
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,701
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    They dropped my beloved Paddy Wagon from the lineup. 100% steel fixie goodness. Sure am thankful I picked up a 2015 a while ago. $750 CDN out the door ($566 USD).

    It's very excited to soon have a baby brother steel Honzo it can hang with in my garage.
    I have a Paddy Wagon for my commuter/beer run/urban get around bike. I've not flipped the rear wheel to fixed ever, but I am quite happy with it normal SS.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: targnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by sennaster View Post


    Demoíd a 2019 153 cr 29er yesterday ... what a monster on the downhills.
    Please Santa, bring me one for Xmas!!

    'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

  56. #56
    100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I have a Paddy Wagon for my commuter/beer run/urban get around bike. I've not flipped the rear wheel to fixed ever, but I am quite happy with it normal SS.
    I love that bike. It's what got me into steel. Absolutely whisper quiet and a beautifully dampened ride quality. Anyway, good thing we have ours because they are now history.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rynee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I love that bike. It's what got me into steel. Absolutely whisper quiet and a beautifully dampened ride quality. Anyway, good thing we have ours because they are now history.
    Similar story. I picked up a used 2010 paddy wagon for 350euros 2 years back, swapped the stem, crank set, seatpost and increased the gearing slightly (44x15 iirc) and I love that rig. Great urban commuter. Also non-fixed so far.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    183
    Now that 2019 models are out, is it still ok to get 2017 brand new models ? or there's a lot of technology advancement being made already for new bikes ?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,183
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    Now that 2019 models are out, is it still ok to get 2017 brand new models ? or there's a lot of technology advancement being made already for new bikes ?
    I think it depends on the components. I've been lusting for a H H Trail and I prefer what they dressed the'16s with, over the '17 models. If you find your size I'd say buy it.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

  60. #60
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    5,701
    OK Kona, I'm eagerly awaiting your announcement of a short travel 29er trail bike. The Process 111's successor. I bet the geo looks a lot like the Transition Smuggler 120/140, which would be awesome.

    I'd say we should know in the next 1-2 months, otherwise... that Smuggler looks pretty freakin sweet.

    That and I hope they do the Rove LTD frame only for one more year.

    Thanks, that's all for now.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  61. #61
    Rides like a girl
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    Now that 2019 models are out, is it still ok to get 2017 brand new models ? or there's a lot of technology advancement being made already for new bikes ?
    I agree in part with jim c; if you find what you want, buy it.

    I found a new '17 Hei Hei in spring of '18. It had all the bits I wanted and more. I'm glad I got it. I don't care for what they did to it for '18. Can't wait for this snow to melt so I can get back on it!
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    OK Kona, I'm eagerly awaiting your announcement of a short travel 29er trail bike. The Process 111's successor. I bet the geo looks a lot like the Transition Smuggler 120/140, which would be awesome.

    I'd say we should know in the next 1-2 months, otherwise... that Smuggler looks pretty freakin sweet.

    That and I hope they do the Rove LTD frame only for one more year.

    Thanks, that's all for now.
    If kona cant build a short travel 29, the Smuggler is a good choice as are the many short travel 29 options now.
    Thinning the herd
    17 Hei Hei DLc
    18 Hei Hei RS

  63. #63
    225
    225 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13
    New rider at the ripe age of 40. Iíve been wanting to get one since I live in Asheville, NC. Iíve always thought the Honzo steel was a cool bike. This year I made it happen.


  64. #64
    Rides like a girl
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    282
    Quote Originally Posted by 225 View Post
    New rider at the ripe age of 40. Iíve been wanting to get one since I live in Asheville, NC. Iíve always thought the Honzo steel was a cool bike. This year I made it happen.

    I don't have a Honzo, I've got a Hei Hei; but there is certainly enough Honzo love around here! Looks fun!
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    351
    Nice, I would love a honzo

    But Ive got a Unit with 100mm froks & gears on it which does me pretty well

    Hard to justify a honzo too, but still..........

  66. #66
    225
    225 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    13

    2019 Konas

    Iíve always wanted a Honzo. I used to live in Asheville in 2012, then moved to New Orleans and sold my bike. I had a 26Ē Trek 6000.

    I moved back 3 years ago.


    I saw something about a Honzo steel a few years ago and thought is was just a mean looking bike and had a cult following. I just joined the cult!

    Also Iím a husky dude. If you see a husky dude about to die climbing up a hill in Pisgah on a Honzo. Itís probably me.

Similar Threads

  1. Konas in action!! Post your pics
    By Egar in forum Kona
    Replies: 344
    Last Post: 12-16-2018, 10:53 AM
  2. stump jumper 2019 expert or SC Bronson v3 s 2019
    By coming_in_hot in forum 27.5
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM
  3. 2012 Konas are out
    By sdo1982 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 07:23 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 01:38 AM
  5. Early konas seat post diameter question
    By PAMATRAIL in forum Kona
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 222

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.