2017 Kona Unit - verdict? - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    EXORCIZE
    Gears, 29er, and dropouts slammed forward. I like it!
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    A question for all you Unit 2017 owners. I have an annoying problem with a scratch noise from the front wheel. The brakes are perfectly aligned, so that is not the problem. Both pads and discs are super clean.
    I also know that if you push hard, specially if you stand up and have a lot of sideway movement, there might be a scratch noise from the pads. But this noise is only when I go straight on tarmac (transportation to the trails) and other flat surfaces.
    I have received tons of help from my LBS where I bought the bike. Kona has also sent a new fork, but the problem persists.
    One thought was that I am too light and doesn't create enough pressure on the wheels, but I've done plenty of bikepacking with it already and then problem has remained even with heavy packing.
    Some friends have suggested that the P2 fork is crap and too weak to force the heavy wheel of the Unit to go straight. But I have a problem with that theory, as I think you all would have complained about it if that would be the case.

Currently I'm thinking the actual wheel is the problem, not the fork or the brakes.

Have any of you experienced the same noise? Have you worked out a solution?

Usually when I get on the bike and start pedalling it's all perfectly silent for a few minutes. Then the scratch noise starts. There is no way of reproducing the sound if I put it on my mechanic stand, but I'm sure the noise comes from the front brake. I need to go straight on even surfaces, on trails I've only heard the noise on very rare straight sections in high speed. The sound is very scratchy, not squeaky. It can come and go, but only when speeds exceed 20-25 km/h, at lower speeds I have never heard it.

To be clear, I want to say that both my LBS and Kona is taking this seriously and I am perfectly happy about the service provided. Sometimes stuff like this happens and I'm just asking here for additional input.

Wanna ride bikes?
    It's too hard to guess without seeing the bike in person. It could be the bearings, it could be the top of the rotor hitting the caliper, it could be flex when your standing up and pulling hard on the bars.

based on what you describe I'd say it's flex causing the rotor to contact the pads. If possible, try putting another front wheel on. Ideally something with a bolt on or TA hub. This will eliminate the possibility of it being the wheel or flex. You can also just remove the front caliper from the fork and try to duplicate the noise.

Basically you just need to single it out until you figure out where it's coming from.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Take the caliper or disc off and ride it. Is the noise gone. Debris in the front hub seals?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Pads out - ride.
    If still making noise, caliper off and zip tied to the down tube - ride.
    If still making noise, it's not the brakes.

Hell Track
    I had to repack the bearings when I got mine. Front wheel wouldn't even spin freely. I would start there.

mtbr member
    Has anyone *actually* tried fitting a 29x2.8 or 29x3 tire in the 2017?
    Living the dream at TDA Global Cycling – epic bike tours from 500 to 15,000 km.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2017 Kona Unit with MRP Ribbon 130

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-img_1521.jpg2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-img_1522.jpg2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-img_1523.jpg

mtbr member
    Just got a 2018 Unit. I bought it as a cheap winter bike, but the first ride was surprisingly fun! 2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-img_20171009_102954_442.jpg

TDA Global Cycling

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by micah356 View Post
    Just got a 2018 Unit. I bought it as a cheap winter bike, but the first ride was surprisingly fun!
    Fun on a mountain bike was surprising? Were you expecting it to suck?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    I meant *more* fun than I expected. Having said that, I will still be riding my 111 most of the time until winter hits.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone please give some feedback on 29" rear tyre clearance for the 2018 Units? What can we squeeze in there?

mtbr member
    I haven't been able to try it yet, but I have a friend with 29x3. They are different axles, but hopefully it will be good enough to see if it fits.

I took some quick measurements based on this article: https://fat-bike.com/2014/10/product...acabra-29x3-0/

According to that, it seems to me that the 29x3 would probably fit on the rear but might be tight. The total diameter should be about 5cm bigger, meaning 2.5-3cm on either side of the wheel. With my dropout roughly in the middle, I have about 3cm of clearance to the chainstay yoke and to the seatstay bridge. The width shouldn't be a problem. The fork has lots of room in both directions and shouldn't be a problem.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kirkwood View Post
    Can anyone please give some feedback on 29" rear tyre clearance for the 2018 Units? What can we squeeze in there?

are the 2017 and 2018 frames both the same geometry (I guess yes, except for the seatpost diameter)? if yes, see my previous post (08-26-2017) below!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

First ride of my 2018 Kona Unit

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-wp_20171110_15_52_18_pro.jpg

My first ride of the 2018 Kona Unit, size M, finally a bike not too big for me (just sold my old Haro Mary SS size 18, which was way too big for me and moved like a tanker compared to the Kona).

The background is one of the funnily painted small vineyard houses in the western part of Hungary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hey, any more experiences/pics of the new Kona Unit? I am seriously considering to buy one for bikepacking and touring, as well as singletrack riding. Would like to see your builds and hear you stories.
    Last edited by Sailor; 12-05-2017 at 12:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Hey, any more experiences/pics of the new Kona Unit? I seriously considering to buy one for bikepacking and touring, as well as singletrack ridings. Would like to see your builds and hear you stories.
    I put my Process 111 away for the winter, and have been riding the 2018 Unit exclusively for the last month or so. It is really a great bike, and as mentioned just above, the geometry is just miles ahead of a lot of older steel rigid bikes. I also previously had a Haro Mary, and this is way better.

Having said that - I've been riding the Unit with gears and a dropper post. Once real winter sets in I'll go back to single speed. But our trails just have so many really steep hills that riding singlespeed means you WILL be walking multiple times on every ride. I would rather ride singlespeed with a dropper than geared with a rigid post though!

This has all been technical singletrack riding. I haven't done any bikepacking with it.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    What is the weight of the 2018 Unit with stock single speed setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    With Shimano 520 pedals and a light bottle cage I measured 12.7 kg (2018 size M). I converted it to tubeless, which saved about 0.2 kgs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Szia Tamás, köszönöm a gyors válaszodat. Jól értem hogy belső nélkül 12,7 kilogram? Esetleg nem vagy véletlenül budapesti? Jó lenne élőben megnézni a gépet mielőtt online rendelek egyet… Te honnan rendelted? Előre is köszi a segítséget üdv

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Dear English speaking audience, please forgive me the below Hungarian text. This is for my compatriot...

Zalaegerszegi vagyok... belsővel, pedállal és kulacstartóval volt 12.7 kg, most tubeless-re alakítva 12.4-12.5 kg. A probikeshop.com-ról rendeltem. Az ünnepek között lehet, hogy járok Budapesten, akkor ha te is ráérsz, beteszem az autóba a biciklit és kipróbálhatod. bikemag.hu fórumon fent vagy? Ott akár számot is cserélhetünk...

mtbr member
    Just curious if it's a problem (geometry wise) with swapping out the 27.5+ for a 29 x 2(ish). I like the idea of a 27.5+ in certain conditions but I would like to have options. This plus size thing is all new to me. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    No, it's not a problem. 27.5+ and 29 (non-plus size) wheels have approximately the same overall diameter. As far as I understood from some reports, several guys use 27.5+ wheels for training/trail riding and 29" on race days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paintlick View Post
    Just curious if it's a problem (geometry wise) with swapping out the 27.5+ for a 29 x 2(ish). I like the idea of a 27.5+ in certain conditions but I would like to have options. This plus size thing is all new to me. Thanks.
    swapping 29er and 27,5+ wheels is not a problem at all, with the 29er wheels the BB height increases about half an inch or less. just scroll back a few posts, you can find my pics of the tyre clearance. it is a shame, that neither of the wheelsets was this bike ('17 unit) my cup of tea with, so I sold it two or three weeks ago. now back to the world of small wheels and fun.
    Last edited by Kisherceg; 12-23-2017 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm running 29x2.4" tires on mine. Love it. bottom bracket is a little higher, but I have a lot less rock strikes, and where I ride, that's a good thing. Lots of f-ing rocks. I just ordered a 29x3" tire and I'll see what it does.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisherceg View Post
    swapping 29er and 27,5+ wheels is not a problem at all, with the 29er wheels the BB height increases about half an inch or less. just scroll back a few posts, you can find my pics of the tyre clearance. it is a shame, that neither of the wheelsets was this bike ('17 unit) my cup of tea with, so I sold it two or three weeks ago. now back to the world of small wheels and fun.
    I'm looking for a 27.5" non plus version of a Unit, and seems the Soma B-side is the main contender right now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pade View Post
    I'm looking for a 27.5" non plus version of a Unit, and seems the Soma B-side is the main contender right now.

hah man, the soma b-side is one of my all-time favourite, being on my list for a long time, but every occasion when buying/building a new bike something else wins. this time an on-one 45650B. i can't help loving on-one bikes. maybe next time, since I have an itch to be back on a SS mtb again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I love my ‘17 Unit, especially since putting better wheels and tires on it. DT Swiss 240s (36t) Raceface ARC 40 rims 27.5+ and 2.8 Nobby Nics.
    Last edited by qtzmznt; 12-27-2017 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Accidental mobile click

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks to all the contributors on this thread... I pulled the trigger on a 2017 Kona Unit in XL. It's my first MTB, and I wanted something for dual role Bikepacking and Trails. At 6'1 33is I could have gone with the Large frame, but the XL was the only one I could find locally for the 2017 and was on sale so I couldn't pass it up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

2017 Stock Kona Unit in XL

Thought I'd share some some photos from my recent adventures. About 85 miles on it so far. Love the stock Spyke brakes, wish the 2017 came with the Scraper 45 rims and Ranger tires stock. Already had a rock pierce the thin sidewall on the rear tire and dent the cheap Alex rim. Did manage to bend it back and sand it... So far 60 miles later its holding air and Orange Seal is working great.
    Also really don't like the low engagement hubs... So wheelset will be a needed upgrade. Will be installing Shimano XT8000 mech and shifter and Sunrace 11-46 cogs on stock freehub within the next few weeks. So far loving this bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20171226_164618_hdr_20171228194050872.jpg  

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20171226_164950_hdr_20171228194145862.jpg  

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20171228_165555_hdr_20171228194251108.jpg  

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20171228_154246_hdr_20171228194353121.jpg  

mtbr member
    Hey Watts, did you get your 29x3.0" tyre and try it yet, in back and front? Very curious as I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these to replace my '08 Monkey that I'm currently running B+/29+ rigid.
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    I'm running 29x2.4" tires on mine. Love it. bottom bracket is a little higher, but I have a lot less rock strikes, and where I ride, that's a good thing. Lots of f-ing rocks. I just ordered a 29x3" tire and I'll see what it does.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Upgrades!

Finally got my Unit geared! Installed Shimano XT M8000 shifter and derailleur, and I'm running the Sun Race 11 speed 11-46t cassette. Routed rear mech over right seat stay... As I wanted to avoid downtube and bb routing. 2018 model switched to seatstay. It's more direct. It runs like a Swiss watch... Very very happy with the results!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-fb_img_1516836410202.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Edit: I clearly missed the page right before this one. 29ers fit obviously. What about the geometry for a commuter? I'll gain 1 degree in HT angle but lose a fraction in ST angle. I was riding a '12 Jake the Snake or my '16 Honzo ST. Sold the JtS. The Honzo just doesn't seem like an efficient ride for a 75% pavement ride (100% if you want).

Anyone using the Unit as a regular commuter (i.e., not just in the winter/snow)? I haven't read every single post, so sorry if I missed that discussion.

I was thinking of getting the Unit X and replacing the wheels with some cheap 29ers with really low tread tires. And I like the option of maybe running it SS one day (the ride home is all up hill!).

thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    Edit: I clearly missed the page right before this one. 29ers fit obviously. What about the geometry for a commuter? I'll gain 1 degree in HT angle but lose a fraction in ST angle. I was riding a '12 Jake the Snake or my '16 Honzo ST. Sold the JtS. The Honzo just doesn't seem like an efficient ride for a 75% pavement ride (100% if you want).

Anyone using the Unit as a regular commuter (i.e., not just in the winter/snow)? I haven't read every single post, so sorry if I missed that discussion.

I was thinking of getting the Unit X and replacing the wheels with some cheap 29ers with really low tread tires. And I like the option of maybe running it SS one day (the ride home is all up hill!).

thanks
    I would also like to hear that. I've just bought Kona Unit X and plan to use it as a commuter / bikepacking rig. I am planning to put some 29" wheels on it and use asphalt - friendy tires since It is 50% of my rides. Can you suggest my any tires like that ? Either 27.5 or 29.

Thanks !

mtbr member
    Not really using it as a commuter, that's now what my '08 Monkey is sposed to be for, but in all honesty, I like the angles and fit of the new Unit so much it's hard to pull out the Monkey when I have to commute. If I had the $$ to spare, I would order another to use as a commuter, not a second thought in the world. I've put in some good road miles getting to the trails and in between trails and this baby is definitely very nice to pedal on the smooth stuff.

Just FYI, I'm running mine B+/29+ with an external lower cup, so it's actually slacked out even more than original by about 1.5-2 degrees. Only thing you might say I'm "un-happy" with is the short HT and consequential Stack, could be an inch taller, easy - even running a much taller front tyre, I still have to use 35mm of spacers under the stem with a low rise bar.

Quote Originally Posted by rdawson808 View Post
    ........Anyone using the Unit as a regular commuter (i.e., not just in the winter/snow)? I haven't read every single post, so sorry if I missed that discussion.

thanks
    And since I haven't posted a pic in here yet, here it is. For anyone wondering, the Unit frame comes setup with the SS crop outs, but also has the geared ones in the box, along with a spare SS one.

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dcs_4797_fb.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dcs_4774_fb.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Pardon my noob question but I can't find clear answer anywhere

Is this bike ( in my case Kona Unit X 2018 ) capable of running 27.5 x 3" wheels both front and rear

Is this bike capable of running 29" x 2.2 tires front and rear

Thank You

mtbr member
    Yes and Yes. You didn't look hard enough, just read the info on Kona's site or any dealer selling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by baboonst View Post
    Pardon my noob question but I can't find clear answer anywhere
    Is this bike ( in my case Kona Unit X 2018 ) capable of running 27.5 x 3" wheels both front and rear. Is this bike capable of running 29" x 2.2 tires front and rear. Thank You

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Sorry I was not aware that 27.5 + is synonym for 3" tires. Thanks for answering my question nevertheless

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Not really using it as a commuter, that's now what my '08 Monkey is sposed to be for, but in all honesty, I like the angles and fit of the new Unit so much it's hard to pull out the Monkey when I have to commute. If I had the $$ to spare, I would order another to use as a commuter, not a second thought in the world. I've put in some good road miles getting to the trails and in between trails and this baby is definitely very nice to pedal on the smooth stuff.

Lynx, thanks for the confirmation. I think what I'll do for now is ride it 27.5+ and see how that is (maybe buy or create some low tread tires) and see if I want to switch to 29. But it sounds like the ride for me.

Hand surgery this Friday, then order in a couple weeks so I can build it and get back to riding. Finally.

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Since the stock 32:18 ratio seems to be to high for my strenght I think about changing 18T-->19T or 18T-->20T. Is the ratio 32:20 available with the stock chain lenght or should I add a link to the chain?

mtbr member
    Forgot to update this since I did it week before, but re-built a 29+ rear (Dually45 rim) with a Chronicle 3.0" and tried it in the rear of my Unit and it fits with about 3/8" clearance on the side, have had no rubbing, super stoked with the new setup.

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dscn1156.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20180320_073830a_fb.jpg

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisherceg View Post
    Since the stock 32:18 ratio seems to be to high for my strenght I think about changing 18T-->19T or 18T-->20T. Is the ratio 32:20 available with the stock chain lenght or should I add a link to the chain?
    If the wheel is slammed all the way back with 32/18, then try 32/20. I like 32/22 and still walk sections here. I treat the flat bits as recovery riding.

mtbr member
    Anyone can say what length the 12mm axle is for the 2018 Unit? Found the info about the different 1.75 pitch, but nothing on length and looking to order the drop outs shortly and want to know if I need to order an axle as well or if the one I have might work. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Anyone can say what length the 12mm axle is for the 2018 Unit? Found the info about the different 1.75 pitch, but nothing on length and looking to order the drop outs shortly and want to know if I need to order an axle as well or if the one I have might work. Thanks for any help.
    I can't offer any help on the axle. But I am curious about your 29+ setup. Where do you have the sliders positioned?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sliders are slammed all the way back.

Quote Originally Posted by Raumfahrer Rolf View Post
    I can't offer any help on the axle. But I am curious about your 29+ setup. Where do you have the sliders positioned?
    2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dscn1263_fb.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dscn1273_fb.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dscn1271_fb.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dscn1272_fb.jpg

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1263_FB.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	1192874

Name:	DSCN1273_FB.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	1192873

Name:	DSCN1271_FB.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	1192871

Name:	DSCN1272_FB.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	128.5 KB 
ID:	1192872
    Great pics! Thanks for the update. I'll have to decide how important 29+ is to me over short(er) chainstays.

mtbr member
    Shorter chainstay is only one component. I tried 29+ in mine, and I think it raised the bottom bracket up just a little too high. It still worked, but on the tight twisty stuff, the center of gravity just felt too high, and this was with a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Different strokes, for different folks I love the extra BB height I gained going to 29+, sits just a smidge under 13" now, fantastic for riding tech with lots of rocks etc

Shorter chainstay is only one component. I tried 29+ in mine, and I think it raised the bottom bracket up just a little too high. It still worked, but on the tight twisty stuff, the center of gravity just felt too high, and this was with a dropper post.

mtbr member
    I've got a 120mm suspension fork on mine. Brought it up to about 14 1/4" when compressed at normal ride height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    @Watts888 I'm considering a bouncy fork for mine as well. I'd love to see some pics of your unit with your 120mm fork installed! You still running the 27+?

mtbr member
    Oh, well with a sus fork, then maybe yeah, but man you must be able to do some awesome rock crawling with it If I put a sus fork on mine I'd most likely stick to a 100mm and also go to B+.

I've got a 120mm suspension fork on mine. Brought it up to about 14 1/4" when compressed at normal ride height.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a Unit X yesterday...
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    With the BB height where it is, I rarely get pedal strikes, so that is a good thing. And I use 29x2.4". I bought the frame/fork so I was on my own for wheels. Every now and then I think about going 27+, but I want to make sure they'd fit in a 2012 rockshox recon first. I know 29x2.6" would.

mtbr member
    Been on the Unit as fully rigid for about 2 months, decided it was time to try something different, so mounted up an X-Fusion Velvet RL I have set to 140mm travel and my Asym i35 B+ wheels with Rekon 2.8" tyres. Feels pretty nice tooling around, but to be honest, I think I'd prefera 29+ fork with say 80mm travel and my 29x3" setup.

BB height is a respectable 12 5/8" and there's decent clearance in the fork, weight has dropped to 30lbs flat. According to the level tool in Photoshop, the HTA is just under 66*, but doesn't seem like that while just pedaling about, probably because of the lesser offset fork as compared to when I had it setup with B+ r/29+ f at around 66.5-67*.

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dcs_4962.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dcs_4965_fb.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dcs_4968_fb.jpg

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-dcs_4966_fb.jpg

Not smart enough to shift
    Hey ya'll,

If any on you have changed the dropouts to the thru axle version and have the stock qr dropouts laying around, I would love to pick up a set. Drop me a line if you have them gathering dust in the garage.

Cheers,
    -A
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

mtbr member
    Quick note for anyone changing from the QR to TA while it is 12mm x 142 standard the actual axle you need is 12mm x 174mm x 1.75 thread pitch. Its not the easiest to find and not listed anywhere on the Kona site that I know of.
    No guts no glory, No brains same story.

mtbr member
    One last question, LyNx - Any particular reason you chose the Unit over the Honzo ST?

Been on the Unit as fully rigid for about 2 months, decided it was time to try something different, so mounted up an X-Fusion Velvet RL I have set to 140mm travel and my Asym i35 B+ wheels with Rekon 2.8" tyres. Feels pretty nice tooling around, but to be honest, I think I'd prefera 29+ fork with say 80mm travel and my 29x3" setup.

BB height is a respectable 12 5/8" and there's decent clearance in the fork, weight has dropped to 30lbs flat. According to the level tool in Photoshop, the HTA is just under 66*, but doesn't seem like that while just pedaling about, probably because of the lesser offset fork as compared to when I had it setup with B+ r/29+ f at around 66.5-67*.

mtbr member
    One last question, LyNx - Any particular reason you chose the Unit over the Honzo ST?
    I cant answer for LyNx but for me I knew I was not going to Jump and drop it as much/big as the Honzo was built for so I could save about 2lbs of weight going Unit. Also I prefer the tube arrangement a bit more as being a big guy I see the seat mast on the Honzo as a weak point so the unit has less issue there even if its just a personal mental issue. I also knew that when I added a suspension fork to the unit it would slack out from the stock 69° HTA to 67.5° HTA. Last I knew I wanted to run plus size tires and the unit lets you run 27.5 x 3" with no problem where the Honzo is very tight with a 27.5 x 2.8" Well last last I the matte green just works for me.

mtbr member
    Got the Unit X. It is for my wife riding non-paved roads and trails. I don't have any ride impressions yet. But overall it is a nice build, and feels "light" for a 27.5+ steel bike. I have not put it on the scale yet.

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-img_1466.jpg
    Ridley CX, Stumpjumper Carbon HT, Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Thanks for your thoughts, TrailMasonJones! I have a '08 Kona Unit and I'm looking to replace it with something new. I'm tempted by the Honzo but, like you, I tend to keep my wheels on the ground and don't feel like I need such a burly frame. And I definitely want something that will fit 27.5+ or maybe 29+. And not having to go boost would be nice, too.

The only thing holding me back from committing to the new Unit is the chainstay length. I wish they were a bit shorter. I love how easy it is to get the front end up with short stays.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMasonJones View Post
    I cant answer for LyNx but for me I knew I was not going to Jump and drop it as much/big as the Honzo was built for so I could save about 2lbs of weight going Unit. Also I prefer the tube arrangement a bit more as being a big guy I see the seat mast on the Honzo as a weak point so the unit has less issue there even if its just a personal mental issue. I also knew that when I added a suspension fork to the unit it would slack out from the stock 69° HTA to 67.5° HTA. Last I knew I wanted to run plus size tires and the unit lets you run 27.5 x 3" with no problem where the Honzo is very tight with a 27.5 x 2.8" Well last last I the matte green just works for me.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your thoughts, TrailMasonJones! I have a '08 Kona Unit and I'm looking to replace it with something new. I'm tempted by the Honzo but, like you, I tend to keep my wheels on the ground and don't feel like I need such a burly frame. And I definitely want something that will fit 27.5+ or maybe 29+. And not having to go boost would be nice, too.

The only thing holding me back from committing to the new Unit is the chainstay length. I wish they were a bit shorter. I love how easy it is to get the front end up with short stays.
    I have my stays slammed as far forward as I can ad the geo tweek that adding a suspension for does and I have found it to be very balanced. Easy enough to lift the front when wanted but planted enough that i'm not fighting it on steep climbs. I much prefer the full bike feel to my friends Honzo.

mtbr member
    If you go geared and slide the dropouts forward all the way, it's pretty short. There will always be shorter, but if you want big tires, it's good.

mtbr member
    Just curious, what wheels are you using?

And is there any tire rub when the wheels and/or tires flex?

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Running Velocity Dually45 hand built by me using DT Swiss comps, 3x lacing. Nope have never noticed any rubbing and the frame seems to reiterate that as no rub marks on either side. Initially wheel dish was a bit off to NDS and there was a bit of rub, but once I adjusted the dish, never heard or felt anything since.

Just curious, what wheels are you using?

And is there any tire rub when the wheels and/or tires flex?

mtbr member
    Running Velocity Dually45 hand built by me using DT Swiss comps, 3x lacing. Nope have never noticed any rubbing and the frame seems to reiterate that as no rub marks on either side. Initially wheel dish was a bit off to NDS and there was a bit of rub, but once I adjusted the dish, never heard or felt anything since.
    OK sounds good! Here's my winter project i guess.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the biggest chainring you can fit on the newer Unit? Looking to build as a commuter with 1x11, but need to be able to fit a 40t CR on for good range.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Anyone know what the biggest chainring you can fit on the newer Unit? Looking to build as a commuter with 1x11, but need to be able to fit a 40t CR on for good range.
    I just mounted a 40x28 double XT crankset on my 2018 and it fit with no issues.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Current build

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Hello All,

I'm looking for your advice.

I love my Kona Unit 2018 but I am planning to make it a bit more race worthy.

One of the planned changes is some light 29 inch hoops, the other one is a carbon fork.

I'm wondering if Ritchey WCS Carbon Mountain 29" MTB Rigid Fork (stack height: 470 mm, tapered) would fit it. I couldn't find specifics on the standard Kona Plus fork. Don't even know if it's tapered or not...

Thanks,

Tamás

mtbr member
    Stock steel Kona fork is a straight 1.125" steerer, if you bought you Unit complete, it would have come with 44 internal headset cups, to run a tapered steerer you just need to buy and install a lower external cup.

You didn't say what sort of races, but I'd stick to a 29er wheelset and run some of the new 2.6" higher volume, lighter weight tyres like the Maxxis Rekon to keep some cush and also gobs of traction, or if your courses are smoother, 2.4 Rekon rear/2.6" Rekon front. Might also consider going for the longer 480ish A2C forks if your trails/courses are more on the steeper, technical side.

Quote Originally Posted by ttamas View Post
    Hello All,
    I'm looking for your advice. I love my Kona Unit 2018 but I am planning to make it a bit more race worthy.
    One of the planned changes is some light 29 inch hoops, the other one is a carbon fork.

I'm wondering if Ritchey WCS Carbon Mountain 29" MTB Rigid Fork (stack height: 470 mm, tapered) would fit it. I couldn't find specifics on the standard Kona Plus fork. Don't even know if it's tapered or not...

Thanks,
    Tamás

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the quick feedback!

mtbr member
    I don't recall 2018 headset specs. But, I think that'll work, "EC 44" bottom. Look it up. I use one on my 2015 unit for a tapered fork.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if a front derailleur can be used on the Unit? I have a 2018 model.

mtbr member
    Most definitely, just buy yourself one of the new Shimano side swing FDs and you're set, just run the cable down the top of the DT. HOWEVER, that's if you don't plan on slamming the drop outs all the way forward with plus rubber, if you're sticking to B+ 2.8" a bit back, or 29x2.4", but if you're going for 29+ (29x3"), it won't work or slammed B+ 3".

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Does anyone know if a front derailleur can be used on the Unit? I have a 2018 model.

mtbr member
    Most definitely, just buy yourself one of the new Shimano side swing FDs and you're set, just run the cable down the top of the DT. HOWEVER, that's if you don't plan on slamming the drop outs all the way forward with plus rubber, if you're sticking to B+ 2.8" a bit back, or 29x2.4", but if you're going for 29+ (29x3"), it won't work or slammed B+ 3".
    My experience doesn't agree with this.

The bike has routing on the top tube and seat tube for the FD cable, you might as well use that. I am and it works well. I'm not using the correct derailleur so mine has only about 2mm clearance above the chainstay. If you use a bottom swing / top clamp derailleur it should be better.

Mine is set up that way, and has clearance even with 27.5 x 2.8 slammed forward (barely). If you move them back, there is more room.

TDA Global Cycling

mtbr member
    Well, I guess if you've run 3.0" tyres and have experience with that setup, but barely in the dry, counts as NO for me For me, having it setup with an i35 rim, 2.8" Rekon, with sliders slammed all the way forward, I found out that an FD, even one of the new ones which has a shorter cage than any previous, runs too close to the tyre and will easily pick up mud if you get into some.

I stand by my rec of the newer Shimano side swing FDs, run it down the cable bosses on the top of the DT, all mechanics are to the front of the ST, giving the most clearance behind and they have the shortest cages.

FYI, if you run a true 3" tyre, you cannot use an inner/small ring and the 3 largest cogs anyway, chain will rub on the tyre, hence why I don't bother with an FD and just run a 32t ring and 13-42 10spd cassette, gives almost the same ratio as 24-32 combo.

My experience doesn't agree with this.

The bike has routing on the top tube and seat tube for the FD cable, you might as well use that. I am and it works well. I'm not using the correct derailleur so mine has only about 2mm clearance above the chainstay. If you use a bottom swing / top clamp derailleur it should be better.

Mine is set up that way, and has clearance even with 27.5 x 2.8 slammed forward (barely). If you move them back, there is more room.

mtbr member
    Thanks Lynx and Micah356. I was thinking of a 2X FD. Thought that when using the Unit for bike packing and it's loaded down it would be nice to have some lower gearing. But, I could also play around with a smaller front ring with a 1X system.

mtbr member
    You could also do like I do and not run an FD, but still have 2 rings installed and then just manually swap the chain to whichever ring suits your needs at the time. Don't expect you're in too great a hurry when bike packing

I run a 32/38 combo paired with a 13-42 outback, 32 for trails and 38 for cranking on the roads and smooth, fast trails. FYI, you can drop the chain from the bigger to smaller ring with your heal easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    Thanks Lynx and Micah356. I was thinking of a 2X FD. Thought that when using the Unit for bike packing and it's loaded down it would be nice to have some lower gearing. But, I could also play around with a smaller front ring with a 1X system.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info on the FD options! LyNx I did notice the 2x design with no FD. I was thinking that was the "manual" shift design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Like mine!

Like LyNx above, I went 29x3" with chronicles on my unit. Respect to LyNx! I got this frame because of his posts on here!

I had 29" qr wheels with i35 rims from a previous build and searched for a frame for them with a high BB, 68-69 HTA, 425-440mm reach, sliding dropouts, and could accommodate a big dropper (straightish 31.8mm or 30.9mm ST).

This "27.5+" frame with the 29+ wheels fits the bill. The thing I didn't really consider is that the Unit's STA is quite steep (74deg), and it puts me more forward than I am used to. I notice it most when I am on the road, and I can see my front hub well in front of my bars*-- it is only a psychological oddity for me. For reference, my old bike had a shorter reach, but had the old ~72 deg STA geo with a 25mm setback seat post. Anyway, the steep STA is still a little wonky to me on the road, but it completely redeems itself on the chunky climbs when I need to sit, spin hard, and keep weight forward! It's a mountain bike and it works better in the mountains than on the road-- I can't complain.

High point for me is the BIG dropper: 170mm OnUpdropper (really like 166mm), which just barely fits as the post almost touches the bottle bosses.

Also, I put in a ghetto cushcore in the front and run it a like 7-7.5psi (I am 175lbs), slamming it down through the rocky, rocky desert mountains... I just broke a strava time I set on my 18' Honzo ST with a 130mm fox 34...

We need a Unit build thread.

Ghetto cush core:https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15597
    thse things zip tied tight to the rim with a cushcore valve... Works great!

2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-0306191814a.jpg

* Important to note that this likely only happens because I sized down. I am 5'10.5'' and I went with a medium as I am right in the middle of the sizing chart.
    Last edited by BigBMX; 1 Week Ago at 09:14 AM.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. ~Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Sweet

Haha, always glad to help and inspire. One note, you didn't check my postings carefully enough, if you had, you would have noted my small "fix" for the steep STA and only 69* HTA and that's to run an external lower cup, which helps slacken everything out by about .4*, just use a reducer crown race - that "little bit" makes a lot of difference
    I also run either a Thomson setback post or 150mm drop 9point8 FallLine with setback head to combat the steep STA - this on an XL with a 35.25" inseam. Add something like a DHF or XR4 to the front for a bit more height and much more grip

Ain't the 13.5"> BB so nice in this world of ever lower BB bikes?

What fork is that you have on there and how come you didn't keep the stock fork?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBMX
    Like LyNx above, I went 29x3" with chronicles on my unit. Respect to LyNx! I got this frame because of his posts on here!

Combat Wombat
    One note, you didn't check my postings carefully enough, if you had, you would have noted my small "fix" for the steep STA and only 69* HTA and that's to run an external lower cup, which helps slacken everything out by about .4*, just use a reducer crown race - that "little bit" makes a lot of difference
    And here I was just thinking how great my 2016 Unit rides and now "what if" will be stuck in my brain until I try this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    LyNx,

I have an external cup around, maybe I'll try it out at some point here... When I get bored, I'll do it to add a flavor to the riding. Right now it is weird, but It really works for the ridiculous up hills I attempt to ride here.

Damn! I didn't know anyone offered a setback on a dropper!

Thank you for the further guidance, I will do some or all of these things if I get around to doing longer rides, ones where flat-ground, seated riding is optimized. Awesome!

The fork is the stock fork from my 2010 Redline Monocog flight which currently has a Reba on it (The redline doesn't have the to toe clearance for a safe 29x3 rigid setup, hence the Unit purchase). I have no idea if it is a good fork or not.. I am just being cheap.

And yes, I LOVE the high BB. I get through and up a lot of tech by just keeping weight on my wheels and pedaling like a madman.
    ~BigBMX
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. ~Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Well, it's such a cheap and simple try, no reason not to give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    And here I was just thinking how great my 2016 Unit rides and now "what if" will be stuck in my brain until I try this.
    Ah, so you bought it used without the stock fork then or does the red, geared version not come with a fork new? I've only ever seen it as a complete offered.

Sweet thing about the 9point8 is that you change the clamps/head to what you want, either setback or normal/straight, so in theory you could set it up with the setback head installed for longer pedally days covering ground, then install the normal/straight for more climby days, or just try slamming the saddle all the way forward on the rails on the setback head.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBMX View Post
    LyNx, I have an external cup around, maybe I'll try it out at some point here... When I get bored, I'll do it to add a flavor to the riding. Right now it is weird, but It really works for the ridiculous up hills I attempt to ride here.

Damn! I didn't know anyone offered a setback on a dropper!

Thank you for the further guidance, I will do some or all of these things if I get around to doing longer rides, ones where flat-ground, seated riding is optimized. Awesome!

The fork is the stock fork from my 2010 Redline Monocog flight which currently has a Reba on it (The redline doesn't have the to toe clearance for a safe 29x3 rigid setup, hence the Unit purchase). I have no idea if it is a good fork or not.. I am just being cheap.

And yes, I LOVE the high BB. I get through and up a lot of tech by just keeping weight on my wheels and pedaling like a madman.
    ~BigBMX

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Ah, so you bought it used without the stock fork then or does the red, geared version not come with a fork new? I've only ever seen it as a complete offered.
    I found the frame used on Ebay with no fork. Helped seal the deal as I was looking to build on the cheap and already head a 470mm a2c fork that will fit a 3" easily.

That said, I like the look of the complete frameset: with the red p2 fork with the eyelets. I'd pick one up for cheap if I came across one.... (PM me if you anyone happens to have one around.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

'18 Large Unit 29 +

Just got her mocked up....very happy that the 3.0 Ranger fits comfortably with the dropouts slammed all the way back.

Looking forward to riding it.....most likely will be a few weeks away as we're heading out for Spring Break.2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20190314_170918.jpg2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20190314_171047.jpg2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20190314_171005.jpg2017 Kona Unit - verdict?-20190314_170943.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet

Is that a 30t ring with the additional built in spacers to help give the chain full purchase on the teeth? If it is (looks like it), you may run into some trouble with chain rubbing the tyre in the granny cog - I have about 5-6mm clearance running a standard 32t ring on my same XT cranks in the centre position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E. View Post
    Just got her mocked up....very happy that the 3.0 Ranger fits comfortably with the dropouts slammed all the way back. Looking forward to riding it.....most likely will be a few weeks away as we're heading out for Spring Break.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190314_170918.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	1242169

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234