2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme

Anyone see or hear what the Race Supreme is weighing in at? Medium and large? Interested in what the "non-Race" Supreme weighs also....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Did you get the bike?

I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I'm leaning toward the new Hei Hei for my race bike next season, and am looking at race vs. trail. Leaning towards the trail since the 120mm fork is a small price to pay for more forgiveness.

the air is thin up here..
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ordered. No idea on ETA however.

I did hear from Kona, the Hei Hei Race Supreme in a medium weighs 24.1 lbs, with tubes, and the Hei Hei Supreme weighs 25.3, also with tubes. No info on size large.

In scouring the interwebz i have not even found a first impression test ride for the Race Supreme....I assume the stock bikes are not available yet. I know some of the pros have the frameset and have been riding custom builds. I was not expecting the off-the shelf bikes to have carbon wheels and SRAM Eagle with RS-1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The frame supreme, dl, race, trail is the same, right? I'm thinking about a dl when swapping wheels. Not really into the rs1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    In scouring the interwebz i have not even found a first impression test ride for the Race Supreme....I assume the stock bikes are not available yet. I know some of the pros have the frameset and have been riding custom builds. I was not expecting the off-the shelf bikes to have carbon wheels and SRAM Eagle with RS-1.
    Kona haven't really gone to this level on previous bikes, so it's pretty cool to see the full bling version available. Our team is waiting on a few to arrive, we don't know which model is coming into Aus yet, but the jump from the Supreme down to the DL is huge. If we end up on the DL, we'd basically be pulling it down and trying to rebuild it to a 'race' spec.

Would have been nice to have a full XO or XT specced version somewhere in the middle. Can't wait to get on them regardless

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Commonaeros View Post
    Kona haven't really gone to this level on previous bikes, so it's pretty cool to see the full bling version available. Our team is waiting on a few to arrive, we don't know which model is coming into Aus yet, but the jump from the Supreme down to the DL is huge. If we end up on the DL, we'd basically be pulling it down and trying to rebuild it to a 'race' spec.

Would have been nice to have a full XO or XT specced version somewhere in the middle. Can't wait to get on them regardless
    Doing the same thing here. Not crazy about the heavy(ish) wheels and the fork.

I'm leaning toward a franken-hei hei: light wheels and a 120 up front, with the dropper.

Seems like a small penalty given our rocks and roots out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have ordered Race Supreme through out team. No idea when it will arrive.

FWIW friend of mine is on the prior model Hei Hei Carbon, Supreme version, and has been running the 24mm WTB carbon wheels since last year. He loves them. Not sure how the weights are, but I don't really equate carbon wheels to lightweight. I don't think my Enve XCs are all that light. Its more about stiffness and power transfer IMO.

And yes, the carbon Hei Hei frames are all the same I believe, different graphics

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have ordered Race Supreme through out team. No idea when it will arrive.

FWIW friend of mine is on the prior model Hei Hei Carbon, Supreme version, and has been running the 24mm WTB carbon wheels since last year. He loves them. Not sure how the weights are, but I don't really equate carbon wheels to lightweight. I don't think my Enve XCs are all that light. Its more about stiffness and power transfer IMO.

And yes, the carbon Hei Hei frames are all the same I believe, different graphics
    Thanks. I ordered one too. I'm going to try the fork but will probably swap to a 120 fox in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I may swap out too....Having the RS-1 proprietary hub is kind of a bummer, but I'll figure something out.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Having never ridden an RS-1 I have to say I'm a little intrigued.
    Of course it would be much nicer to have the ability to swap wheels over between current Kahuna HT and the new Hei Hei.

Hopefully people start getting them soon and can tell us all about them. (I'd like mine right now!)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Having never ridden an RS-1 I have to say I'm a little intrigued.
    Of course it would be much nicer to have the ability to swap wheels over between current Kahuna HT and the new Hei Hei.

Hopefully people start getting them soon and can tell us all about them. (I'd like mine right now!)
    I hear you - getting antsy, but I don't think we will see them for a while yet. I can't see any indication online where anyone has had the Race Supreme to even test and review. Lots of custom builds, but thats it.

I spent several days on an RS-1 earlier this year. It was on a Carver Gnarvester 29+ bike, so bit of a different animal, but I really liked it. Super capable. I believe it was 120mm.

mtbr member
    I ordered (what my shop told me) was the last Race DL in a Large until October yesterday. Will swap stock drive train and cockpit for Race Face Next and XTR 9000. Very stoked. I'll build up some fancy wheels over the winter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 582fresh View Post
    I ordered (what my shop told me) was the last Race DL in a Large until October yesterday. Will swap stock drive train and cockpit for Race Face Next and XTR 9000. Very stoked. I'll build up some fancy wheels over the winter.
    Sweet! They have any insight on ETA?? Anxiously awaiting.....

mtbr member
    Sweet! They have any insight on ETA?? Anxiously awaiting.....
    if it was actually in stock i'd expect it sometime in the middle of next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I pre-ordered late in July, and was told I got one of the last Race Supreme's for the pre-order. Hasn't showed up yet. No intel on our end on ETA. Might be different for the DL's. Let us know if/when you get yours...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Looking forward to this one. Keep us updated with pics 😉

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hei Hei scheduled for production next week. Suspect it will be a while before we see these bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Seems like the bikes always arrive very late in the year.
    I wonder how that effects sales when plenty of people are riding 2017 models as we speak?

Still excited to get on one, regardless

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So, has anyone received theirs yet?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    They don't appear to be available yet. If the post above is to be believed, production hasn't started and we are a long way off still.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Interesting, I think the non-supreme shipped at some point, so I assumed someone amount had already gone out.

Anyone see a frame only?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The green frames have been available for a while, I know guys racing them

Hearing we may see Race Supremes this week, we'll see

mtbr member
    I just got a VM from my shop that my Race DL landed today. Stoked! Will post it up once I do the parts swap!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I just got a VM from my shop that my Race DL landed today. Stoked! Will post it up once I do the parts swap!
    Nice!
    What state you located in if you don't mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Nice!
    What state you located in if you don't mind me asking?
    North Carolina

mtbr member
    Got this guy built up on Saturday.

The stock wheels would not seal up tubeless for me. Both with these Racing Ralphs and some Bontrager XR1s. Maybe I'll try and wrap a few more layers of tape around, but the tires were just super loose fitting. Otherwise all good in the hood. 24.5 lbs as pictured with tubes and a very utilitarian bottle cage.

Rode it yesterday and these bikes rip. It descends almost as well as the Process 111 I just sold and climbs so so so much better. Some lighter wheels setup tubeless will go a long way but I need to refill the hopper first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme-img_1600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Very nice. I assume that is the Race DL, not the Race Supreme? Looks to have come with some upgraded components in comparison to what they have listed online, cool.

mtbr member
    yeah, Race DL swapped out w/ XTR m9000 and other nice bits that I had already.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Received my Race Supreme. Really nice bike. Swapped out the Maxxis tires it came with for a Nobby Nic up front and Racing Ralph rear. WTB carbon wheels sealed up super easy. Everything else is stock.... As described, no pedals, 23.75 lbs, size large.

Did some gravel grinding on it this morning, pedals sweet. Will hit some 1-track tonight (maybe), and will be logging 3-4 hours tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Received my Race Supreme. Will hit some 1-track tonight (maybe), and will be logging 3-4 hours tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
    Congrats! Those are some amazing looking bikes, and the ride reports have been great. You must be feeling the stoke. According to your posts it's been 4 weeks since you ordered it. Tune back in here next week and let us know if it was worth the wait. ha
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    Congrats! Those are some amazing looking bikes, and the ride reports have been great. You must be feeling the stoke. According to your posts it's been 4 weeks since you ordered it. Tune back in here next week and let us know if it was worth the wait. ha
    Actually mine was ordered in July, but it was a team pre-order buy, and we knew it was going to be a while. Was hoping to see it a few weeks ago, but all is good. Time to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Actually mine was ordered in July, but it was a team pre-order buy, and we knew it was going to be a while. Was hoping to see it a few weeks ago, but all is good. Time to ride!
    Anything further to add after the weekend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anything further to add after the weekend?
    Great bike, really impressed. Put 60 miles on it covering everything from long dirt road climbs to techy 1-track and rough descents. I just spent April to September on an S-Works Epic WC, pure race machine. One of my concerns about the Hei Hei was how efficiently it would pedal, and I was surprised. The power transfer is really good, you step on it and it goes, even with suspension open. It climbs really well. I like the RS-1, ridden one before for a few days, it is definitely a nice fork. It tracks really nice. Overall the bike sticks to the terrain quite nicely, and smooths things out. I was also worried about how nimble it would feel in comparison to the Epic, which was the World Cup version with super short stays......but i barely noticed a difference. It might be a hair more sluggish but it's pretty snappy. As you would expect it descends really nice at any speed. The Eagle is quite a piece of machinery. I think there is a 34T ring up front. Top end climbing gears feel about the same as my 1x11 with 30x42, but there is a lot more top end for the flats, which will be nice. One note, the WTB rims have a deep profile. The stems they send with the bike won't work, and if you flat make sure you have a long stem tube or you'll be screwed.

Overall the bike was better than I expected, and really top notch. I've spent time on the 2017 Scalpel, the 2017 Rocky Mtn Element, raced the Epic all summer....the Hei Hei is just as efficient as all those bikes, and might be better all-round than some of those bikes. I'd highly recommend if looking for a pure race machine.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    This sounds great. Possibly even ahead of where I had hoped it to be

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any tips on sizing? I'm 6'1, 35" inseam and usually ride large frames. I have a large Trek Procaliber now and comparing the two geometries there are some differences. I know Kona has a different GEO concept (long reach, short stem)

Im thinking the steeper seat angle on the Kona will give me a similar reach. Im just worried about the bike climbing steep technical tight turns. I don't want a wandering front end that I cant weight properly. Kona recommends a med, large, or xl for my size. Unfortunately I cant test ride one :/

Trek:
    seat angle - 74deg
    reach - 442mm
    stack - 604mm

Kona:
    seat angle - 75deg
    reach - 455mm
    stack - 608mm

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'd say you could go either a L or XL depending on how you prefer your bike set up.

I've gone from a 20" Kona King Kahuna HT to a Large Hei Hei DL and have no issues, however I have it set up a bit more like a do it all trail bike, rather than the pure XC race machine the Kahuna was.

My saddle to bar on the Kahuna was 560mm and I think it's now 530mm on the Hei Hei, although I'm running a 70mm 0deg stem versus a slammed 90mm -17deg.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have

Brad

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It will be an xc race bike for this year (100mm fork) so id like to get it close to my hardtail as possible. Or maybe set my hardtail up like it if the geo feels better.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Comparing your geo above, you will be pretty sorted on whatever frame you've used as an example.

The 13mm reach difference could be easily accounted for with stem choice,

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 5'10" and large fits great, but I hate feeling cramped
    I have a couple other friends around 6' and they are on a large, but one was going to add longer stem I believe
    Two other guys on our team are 6'2"ish and they're on XL
    I found the reach shorter than other bikes, but perfect at my size. My Tallboy and Epic both had longer reach

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I found the reach shorter than other bikes, but perfect at my size. My Tallboy and Epic both had longer reach
    According to the geo chart, the large hei hei has a 14mm longer reach than the large Epic (non-world cup). Are you referring to stem lengths affecting actual reach?

Thanks for the info everyone. I went ahead and ordered a large today and it should be in by the end of the week! Super excited to be back on full suspension. After marathon nationals Sunday I don't even want to look at my hard tail.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by at_ecd View Post
    According to the geo chart, the large hei hei has a 14mm longer reach than the large Epic (non-world cup). Are you referring to stem lengths affecting actual reach?

Thanks for the info everyone. I went ahead and ordered a large today and it should be in by the end of the week! Super excited to be back on full suspension. After marathon nationals Sunday I don't even want to look at my hard tail.
    At least one of the (masters) nats was won on a Hei Hei Trail 29 carbon, with a 120 Fox 34 up front (a friend of mine).

I've ridden the Hei Hei extensively (borrowed a client's for 2 weeks as he was injured) and it's a great bike. I tried it with a 100mm fork and the magic disappeared. The 120mm fork was better in every way - no penalty climbing and so much better everywhere else. KOMs for 2 weeks...

It convinced me to buy a bike in that tweener category (XC/trail) for my only race bike (Ripley LS), which has been a fun decision, and one that hasn't slowed me down at all in terms of results in races.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    What are thoughts in the 120 fork versions of either RS1 (Supreme) vs Fox 34 (DL)? Obviously the supreme has a better overall package but curious about stiffness of the RS in 120 mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    At least one of the (masters) nats was won on a Hei Hei Trail 29 carbon, with a 120 Fox 34 up front (a friend of mine).

I've ridden the Hei Hei extensively (borrowed a client's for 2 weeks as he was injured) and it's a great bike. I tried it with a 100mm fork and the magic disappeared. The 120mm fork was better in every way - no penalty climbing and so much better everywhere else. KOMs for 2 weeks...

It convinced me to buy a bike in that tweener category (XC/trail) for my only race bike (Ripley LS), which has been a fun decision, and one that hasn't slowed me down at all in terms of results in races.
    I get what you're saying and I used to own a 1st gen Ripley. I really did enjoy that bike but I found it wasn't quite the "race machine" I wanted, nor the big hit bike for the rest of the riding I like to do. I did race a season on it and it was pretty decent. In the end it ended up being too compromised for my liking... still an awesome bike though!

I am going to build this bike initially with a 100mm fork. Maybe ill slap a 120 pike on there later this year once racing cools off. Thanks for the info!

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by at_ecd View Post
    I get what you're saying and I used to own a 1st gen Ripley. I really did enjoy that bike but I found it wasn't quite the "race machine" I wanted, nor the big hit bike for the rest of the riding I like to do. I did race a season on it and it was pretty decent. In the end it ended up being too compromised for my liking... still an awesome bike though!

I am going to build this bike initially with a 100mm fork. Maybe ill slap a 120 pike on there later this year once racing cools off. Thanks for the info!
    I understand where you're coming from. I've transitioned to more endurance XC in rough terrain for my racing (primarily) so the Ripley LS (remember, very different from the OG) has been great.

I race in Cat 1 and/or Pro/Elite for standard XC and the bike has done very well there, too, FWIW.

I really do feel you'll like the bike better with a 120mm fork. At Pisgah Stage Race a few weeks ago, the 2 Kona pros who were top 3 overall were on the Hei Hei with a 120mm MRP ribbon. They could have run them at 100mm, but they said the bike was designed around 120mm and just worked best that way, and my experimentation concurs. There's zero drawback in weight, and the handling is much better.

www.ascendthepeak.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I ended up building up a large hei hei dl 100mm frame. Weight as shown is 22.8 lbs. Could be around 22 or a little less with different tires, saddle, and cutting the excess seat post off. Other than that I cant think of anything to lighten it up without using sketchy parts.

2017 Large Hei Hei DL frame 100mm
    2018 Fox step cast 32 factory 100mm w/remote lockout (defaults to locked now)
    Have green Fox heritage decals that need installed
    Cane creek forty headset
    Wheels Manufacturing GXP bottom bracket (I'll never run anything else!)
    XX1 Eagle 32t GXP 175mm crankset w/stages power meter
    X01 1x11 shifter, derailleur, cassette (going to eagle when this wears out)
    XTR m9000 race brakes
    SMRT-99 160mm rotors
    Bontrager Kovee XXX wheels
    Maxxis Ikon exo/tr/3c 2.35f 2.2r (switching to racing ralphs when addix compounds are released)
    XTR pedals
    Enve sweep bars 760mm
    ESI extra chunky grips
    PRO bar ends
    K-Edge garmin mount
    Syntace f109 stem 60mm (going to try longer stem)
    Enve seatpost
    Bontrager Montrose Elite saddle (ti rails)
    specialized rib bottle cage

2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme-img_2556.jpg2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme-img_2557.jpg2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme-img_2558.jpg

Initial ride was eye opening to say the least. I am coming off riding only a hard tail for almost two years so having an xc bike with rear compliance is new to me again. I don't have it dialed in yet so its hard to tell the potential at the moment.

When its locked out front and rear it doesn't feel any slower than my hard tail up the climbs. When its in open mode i can sit and spin up the climbs with tons of traction. I haven't pin pointed a sag setting yet and right now its 25%. I'm thinking a little stiffer will be perfect for xc racing in our area.

I'm also contemplating going with a longer stem. The steering has good feel but on climbs it wanders a bit and sweeping turns I feel like I need to lean further forward then I'm used to keep front traction. This may be me not being used to the "new geo" so I'm going to give it a few more rides first though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice bikes here, Guys

Having read this thread I am even more lost about sizing. Understand hei hei is contemporary low-long geo.

Considering building Hei Hei for XC-marathon bike purposes. Majority fast rolling terrain with climbs and descents.
    For big mountains I am served very well with 150mm sus bike already.

However, being ~5 10.5 (alternatively 179-180cm) I am apparently between sizes M and L /?/
    Apparently I would be able to run both with appropriate stem length selection but L seems on paper: reach & wheelbase very long.

I am not convinced how, being my height, choosing L + short stem (60mm max?) would impact on climbing & riding dynamics of bike.

Gents, Ladies - what size would you recommend based on your experience rolling these bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 5-10 and the large fits great. It climbs great. I have a couple other buddies also very similar height, and also on large. Personally I think a medium would be too small. Most guys a 2-3 inches taller are on XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 5-10 and the large fits great. It climbs great. I have a couple other buddies also very similar height, and also on large. Personally I think a medium would be too small. Most guys a 2-3 inches taller are on XL
    I agree that someone your height could fit a large depending on needed saddle setback. After my first laps I knew that an XL frame would have been a negative for me (6'1" tall). With my required saddle setback a large fits great and once I add a 15mm or 20mm longer stem I think it will be perfect (for me). I think when selecting these modern geo bikes that you need to access your fit needs first so you don't end up with weird reach/steering feel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm running the stock stem, 70mm I think. I don't like a long stem. Seat is in a pretty neutral position, it's not slammed forward. I would feel cramped on a medium

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Hei Hei with the same dimensions as the Honzo and Process 111 would be the bomb!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for advise. Clearly I can:
    - go L +60-70mm stem
    - go M + 80-90mm stem.

I've been told complete bikes ships with 60-70mm stems, depending on frame size. Oh boy, perhaps need to "adjust" myself to this new trend...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am 5'10 with a 30 inch inseam I fit great on my 17 inch kona unit and just got back from test riding the hei hei DL in meduim and large both rode great but still having a hard time deciding which size to go with, the meduim feels a little small but is lighter and whippier and the large feels a little big. i feel like both bikes would work with stem adjustments. any insight from those who have this bike would be greatly appreciated, should i go with a medium or large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    what size did you go with?

Registered Dietitian
    I think it really depends (as noted above) what stem length you wish to use. At 5'10", I rode a large with 80mm stem (client's bike) and was fine on it; maybe a little stretched out and could have run a 60mm. Bar width matters too, wider bars increase reach.

The large will be more stable at speed and better in high-speed rough terrain (farther behing front axle), the medium more flickable at lower speeds through tight terrain. Either would work fine; just preference at that point.

www.ascendthepeak.com

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Do the stock wheels come tubeless or set up for tubeless or do I need to order kit?
    Also, will a 34 chain ring fit?

Ctd - sweet rig...I'll be borrowing many of your ideas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 17j View Post
    Do the stock wheels come tubeless or set up for tubeless or do I need to order kit?

I have a 36t on mine so a 34 should not be an issue.

Don't have an answer on the wheels.

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    heihei
    Last edited by 17j; 09-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

They come tubeless ready. Stems included, but might be on short side

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    5-9 short legs/ long torso - what size?
    I'm barely 5-9 with medium legs and torso. Just got my second large. I find the reach the toughest part of the fit, but it's pretty good. if you are long torso probably good on large. I hate feeling cramped FYI....if you like compact fit you might consider med? I race mostly marathon dist so I can't be cramped up

17j
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ride it like you stole it
    Last edited by 17j; 09-27-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: duplicate

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks, anyone else? I am an xc rider/racer but don't want to be completely stretched out or have to run a really long stem...75mm?
    I'm 6'1 33ish" inseam and even proportions I think. I got a large and run a 70mm stem. I didn't like the 60mm I started with. Steering felt slow. I live in Ohio so I need quick reaction.

If you're on the fence between med and large, I think you should consider where you'll be riding most. Tight/twisty/tech in the east or open/high speed out west.

My wife and I raced NUE all over the country this year and personally, I find the length of the large can be difficult to maneuver in technical single track of the east coast races. I could slide the saddle forward to get more weight over the front but it would negatively affect my pedaling and fit.

We just got back from racing Marji Gesick in Michigan which is a true test of technical handling (and mental/physical fortitude. The very twisty, tight single track had me wishing I had a shorter wheelbase. Lots of switchbacks, tree gates, rocks, roots, steep climbs, etc. This race is awesome and brutal btw and I highly recommend it!

At races like tatanka in South Dakota, the large really felt at home there with the longer and higher speed downhills with less tight stuff.

Take all this info for what it is, an opinion. Everyone is different. Like said above, longer for stability, short for maneuverability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Subscribed! Is there any geo/specs changes planned for 2018 my?
    Thanks
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Thanks
    No geo changes, just updated colors and parts

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks
    I've been riding a 2018 HH Supreme for the past month or so. The Geo is identical to the 2017. For the most part I think the 17/18 Supremes are the same. 2018 Race Supreme fork and shock are now Fox (sram in 17). Frame has not changed, same geo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the input. I did some research and found out that the 2018 models were announced in spring 2017 (!) so the website is currently showing the 2018 specs.
    I like the 2018 colors better but I have found a great deal on a 2017 model. An advantage is that the Reba can be easily converted to 110 or 120mm travel...but probably the Fox has a better damping. However. Trying to resist the "n+1 bikes" urge...
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the input. I did some research and found out that the 2018 models were announced in spring 2017 (!) so the website is currently showing the 2018 specs.
    I like the 2018 colors better but I have found a great deal on a 2017 model. An advantage is that the Reba can be easily converted to 110 or 120mm travel...but probably the Fox has a better damping. However. Trying to resist the "n+1 bikes" urge...
    Like everyone said , the geo is the same.

What has changed is the suspension hardware. The 2017, in my opinion, doesn't have very good hardware at the main lower swing arm pivot. The bolt is inserted on the non-drive side and threads into the drive side of the swing arm.

The 2018 is supposedly an updated design that uses male and female bolts that thread together. One is inserted from either side and they meet in the middle I'm guessing. This prevents the swing arm from ever stripping out like the 2017 design.
    Last edited by at_ecd; 10-11-2017 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Good point, thanks!
    flyMTBfish

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Hei hei supreme

Finally got my race supreme frame built up!

2017 frame
    XTR shifter and derailleur
    Sram GX 10-42 cassette
    XT brakes
    WOVEN wheelset
    Mezcal 2.35
    SID RLC fork
    NEXT R crankset
    NEXT SL post
    3T bar 740mm
    3T stem 85mm -10

Current weight with XTR pedals is 24.5. Will be swapping in lighter wheels and tires to bring the weight closer to 23 hopefully. First 30 min ride was awesome, super smooth and efficient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Hei Hei Race Supreme-20181013_175513.jpg  

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    Yup, it's a fun ride. I have the trail. Enjoy!
    17 Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5
    15 Framed Minnesota 3.0XWT

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Have you done the conversion to 120 in the REBA '17?what is the part needed please?cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlobNZ View Post
    Have you done the conversion to 120 in the REBA '17?what is the part needed please?cheers
    Yes definitely. best 20$ upgrade I could imagine!

Unfortunately the orifice damper of the RL version is non the best in the universe, but for the money this is a still great fork, (I swapped the damper to RLC cannibalizig a 26" sid I had in the parts bin, but the best solution would be to swap the damper with the RCT3 =more $$)

However , this is the 120mm airshaft

https://www.hibike.com/find-products...uery=+22637402
    flyMTBfish