2005 Kona wish: steel hardtail for xc race bike- Mtbr.com
    inner peace to make peace

2005 Kona wish: steel hardtail for xc race bike

I wish Kona will offer a super light Kona steel hardtail for xc race and trail with a light set of tubeless wheels, rs sid fork, and light hydro brakes like hope mini mono or magura marrta sl or formula b4sl+.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

hardtail for xc race bike

I emailed Kona a few weeks ago about this same question. They told me that they were waiting for input from dealers. But know I am thinking maybe if more people email them they will respond to customer request than a dealer thinking maybe he can not sell enough of them. I also asked that they put disc brakes on the same model. U should email them at konaworld.com and they will respond. If anyone else reads this and have the same request they should do the same. Let the customer rule instead of some dealer.
    They should also offer a frame and a whole bike to the dealers.
    Thanks for the rant.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomic300
    I emailed Kona a few weeks ago about this same question. They told me that they were waiting for input from dealers. But know I am thinking maybe if more people email them they will respond to customer request than a dealer thinking maybe he can not sell enough of them. I also asked that they put disc brakes on the same model. U should email them at konaworld.com and they will respond. If anyone else reads this and have the same request they should do the same. Let the customer rule instead of some dealer.
    They should also offer a frame and a whole bike to the dealers.
    Thanks for the rant.
    whats the address?

I considered getting an explosif but was turned off by the dropout contraption
    they are using for ss/geared/disk whatever....

mtbr member
    While we make a few different lightweight hardtails, Steel isn't one of them, as truly lightweight steel like Reynolds 853 is not even designed for mountain bike usage. Right now, the TrueTemper OX Platinum is some of the best steel tubing out there for mountain bikes, but it's not the lightest stuff out there. Alluminum and Scandium are much lighter, and are still very durable. The ride quality of good aluminum and scandium is also much nicer than in years' past, so it's an advantage to go with the frame like the Kula Deluxe that's a pound lighter than the Explosif frame if weight is an issue.

We do offer the Kula Delluxe as a frame and a complete bike, and we offer the Explosif and Kula Primo (scandium) as frame-only options.
    Thanks,
    Joe.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    While we make a few different lightweight hardtails, Steel isn't one of them, as truly lightweight steel like Reynolds 853 is not even designed for mountain bike usage. Right now, the TrueTemper OX Platinum is some of the best steel tubing out there for mountain bikes, but it's not the lightest stuff out there. Alluminum and Scandium are much lighter, and are still very durable. The ride quality of good aluminum and scandium is also much nicer than in years' past, so it's an advantage to go with the frame like the Kula Deluxe that's a pound lighter than the Explosif frame if weight is an issue.

We do offer the Kula Delluxe as a frame and a complete bike, and we offer the Explosif and Kula Primo (scandium) as frame-only options.
    Thanks,
    Joe.
    why, if 853 was not designed for MTB usage, did Kona offer the "hot"? It was a great bike, but way flexy. We sold the crap out of the hot, and it was discontinued, more than likely due to the popularity of the aluminum bike, and cheaper Taiwanese or Chinese production. Seems like there was a real quantum shift in thinking at Kona, around 2000, when the pres from giant (iirc) came over, and the real good bikes,product, and dealer support that Kona offered went by the wayside. Same with the Ti bikes. Kona wanted to make the move to a "bigger"bike company, and to make the move, some of the philosophy behind the company changed. Unfortunately, due to the proliferation of walmart and big 5 store-type bike shops, this is the way to make money....
    I do love my kona...just yearn for the old days...

mtbr member
    You said it best yourself. While the Hot was a very cool bike, it was flexy. We're using TrueTemper OX Platinum on our Explosif and Units, and that's a material really designed for serious mountain biking.
    I think we still offer a very good product, great dealer support, and the best bikes we've ever offered. I would venture to think that most people on this board, and most mountain bikers in the know would agree.
    Ti bikes were discontinued because everyone had one, and it wasn't worth it to compete tooth and nail for a few bike sales that everyone was going for in that market, when we saw what could really be done iwth full suspension. Was that to make more money? No, we jsut like to ride full suspension bikes more!
    As far as our philosophy chnaging, i'm not so sure about that. I see the same people that were around years ago, with both the product manager and the frame designer having worked here for ten years or more. The same two people still run the company, as well. Times change, technology changes, and our bikes have evolved, simply put. We could continure making steel bikes forever after, and we could even continue stocking 63mm forks. Flat bars? 130mm stems? canti brakes? Where does it stop?
    Disc brakes are cool, full supension is cool, plush forks are cool! None of these are bad things...
    We don't sell in Wal-Mart, Big 5 or stores like it. We like the Independant bike shops, they're way cooler and easier to deal with.

I hope this helped alleviate concerns that we're trying to be the next big planet-eating company out there... there's already enough of those.
    Joe.

May 2004
    Wow...I came across as a retro-grouch....

I do like newer stuff. I run a disc, riser bars, long travel fork on my hardtail. While the natural progression of the industry has given way to technology that has made full suspension come a long ways from the rs-1 rock shox,thumbshifters,and the girvin offroad bikes, there was a simple beauty about the prosperity of the mountain bike boom. Unfortunately, there was a lot of casualties once this ended. Some of the greats were killed off, or bought by huge corporations and 'big-boxed'. Our shop was killed off by bad city planning and the demise of the mainstream popularity of the mtn bike. We were a Kona dealer for the whole time our shop was open. We started with 20 or so bikes that Kona helped us out with in a rental business, and opened a shop. It grew, flourished, and eventually died out. We did see a change in the way business was done @ Kona, but it's an understandable one. We were always a small shop, and it's real hard to place a 25 or 30 bike pre-season in Sep/Oct, with terms due in Feb/Mar...I'm sure Kona has had to make changes along the way to accomodate the change in economy, and their business plan. I remember for the first few years, when Dik was our Rep....that guy was fantastic. That guy took care of us like a butler. invited us up to BC for some rides(Well,-walks for us ), stopped in every few months, treated us like we were a valuable assest to the company. Then we got a new rep, about 98/99. Guy never stopped in once. We called in our pre-season. It was pretty much like that until we closed the shop in 2001. We also noticed a change in tone when we called Kona for stuff. It was different, and could be in part due to the fact that we just weren't selling as many of the bikes.

We always liked the bikes, and as far as the geometry goes, I love the fit, as did many of our customers, particularly women. I really hated to close the shop. I enjoyed every minute of the whole lifestyle, (except the mail-order wankers) and even though it would be financial suicide, I still lay awake at night, missing the bike shop.

Hope I explained myself a bit more clearly....

Jan 2004

Message for Joe

A quick message as a UK consumer.

I know you offered the Explosif as a complete bike here but people were unwilling to take it because the kit levels were too low. Stick hydraulic discs, deore/XT and fox forks on an Explosif and price it competitively (the Explosif was really overpriced here in the Uk this year) and it will sell amazingly.

I have a 2004 Explosif over my bed that i bought for half price and I cant wait to built it up. I like the dropouts - replacable and chunky dropouts are the way forward on all bikes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    You said it best yourself. While the Hot was a very cool bike, it was flexy. We're using TrueTemper OX Platinum on our Explosif and Units, and that's a material really designed for serious mountain biking.
    I think we still offer a very good product, great dealer support, and the best bikes we've ever offered. I would venture to think that most people on this board, and most mountain bikers in the know would agree.
    Ti bikes were discontinued because everyone had one, and it wasn't worth it to compete tooth and nail for a few bike sales that everyone was going for in that market, when we saw what could really be done iwth full suspension. Was that to make more money? No, we jsut like to ride full suspension bikes more!
    As far as our philosophy chnaging, i'm not so sure about that. I see the same people that were around years ago, with both the product manager and the frame designer having worked here for ten years or more. The same two people still run the company, as well. Times change, technology changes, and our bikes have evolved, simply put. We could continure making steel bikes forever after, and we could even continue stocking 63mm forks. Flat bars? 130mm stems? canti brakes? Where does it stop?
    Disc brakes are cool, full supension is cool, plush forks are cool! None of these are bad things...
    We don't sell in Wal-Mart, Big 5 or stores like it. We like the Independant bike shops, they're way cooler and easier to deal with.

I hope this helped alleviate concerns that we're trying to be the next big planet-eating company out there... there's already enough of those.
    Joe.
    Joe, you could be very well talking about me - cantilevers, 1st gen Project 2 forks (way stiff than 63mm forks), 130mm stems, flat bars..... and a 92 Tange Prestige Kona Explosif. It is also one of 2 bikes (other being a Kona Hei Hei) that I grew to love more and more, instead of less and less. My wife also does not intend to give up her Hei Hei ever.

Kona is certainly an awesome bike company. My next bike will be the Unit, and if I ever go full suss, it will certainly be another Kona.

cheerios, fishy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

the would sell 7 or 8

steel is cool for retro-geeks and stuff, but my experience is that it simply doesn't sell. Gary Fisher had some nice steel x-calibur frames, and even tho everyone at the shop loved them, and 1 guy even bought one, we couldn't sell them next to an aluminum or carbon fiber bike. if you MUST have a steel bike, get a custom one, or something from a small mfr. if you MUST worship at the throne of Kona, just put kona stickers on it or something. tell people it's a prototype they sent you to test.

mw

p.s. not only does steel not sell, but i don't think hardtails sell either. kona's marketing and support for the support comes across as pretty cool, but i still think they're in it to make a living and feed their families.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Jan 2004

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    steel is cool for retro-geeks and stuff, but my experience is that it simply doesn't sell.
    Not in the UK though. There is a large market emerging where cyclist are returning to steel. Kona's Explosif at an appropriate price could take advantage of this since so many people had them in the early 90s.

While hardtails as first bikes are dead, quite a few people have steel second bikes or singlespeeds. Who better than Kona to produce a mid-range hardtail for these guys.