mtbr member
    Dec 2004

2004 Coiler Linkages

Hi, I am a very proud owner of a Coiler 2004. Is there anyone who produces upgraded linkage plates for this model? And has anyone tried the Coiler with 2004 Marzocchi Jnr Ts?
    Last edited by stevet@lbot.wanadoo.co.uk; 12-13-2004 at 02:41 PM. Reason: missed word

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Dangerboy CNC lists plates for the '04 Coiler on their site. They will get you 6 or 7" travel, but I think you have to run a 24" wheel to get 7". As for the Junior T, I ran an older model on my Coiler for awhile with no problems. It does raise the front end of the bike quite a bit, but should be fine unless you plan to use the bike for epic rides.

Konameister
    BETD make Kona upgrade linkages as well, but I don't know if they make them for the Coiler...

http://www.betd.co.uk/

Appalache Cycles

Exactly what i'm running!

I have the Stab 01/stinky primo 02 plates from BETD on my coiler and I am also running an 04 jr T. It rides nice and seems to take abuse quite well. I did have to get a new spring too make up for the extra leverage. I run it in the 7" position and use a 26" wheel, but you must make sure the seatpost qr clamp is centralised otherwise it will foul it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Cool!!

Thats exacly what i'm after, looks cool as well! have you changed to a double ring set-up?
    I've had problems with fitting 2.5 Intense Intruder tyres with the chain rubbing on the tyre when in the small ring, wondrer if this may cure it......

Appalache Cycles
    No, I'm running a blackspire ns-1 single ring chain device with Marzocchi bomber 2.6" tyres

mtbr member

Linkage plates...

Yeah, i know i sound like a broken record. Putting these plates on your bike will VOID THE WARRANTY. That's really not that big a deal, but it will also not ride well at all. That SHOULD be a big deal. 5 inches of well designed travel is better than 6 inches of crappy travel the hits the seat tube, so forth and so on.
    Here's what we've posted on our webpage about this topic:

How can I add more suspension travel to my bike?
    We build our 5-6-7" bikes with completely different frames. If we didn't the bike would be compromised in it's short travel position. This way the 7" bike rides like the 5" and the 6", just with more travel. We adjust frame angles and sizing, modify rockers, and spec new shocks. The idea that the aftermarket guys are selling a part that will increase the travel by changing one part isn't valid. The Fox shocks are valved for a specific stroke (3:1), and exceeding that results in uncontrolled damping. Putting a heavier spring on does nothing for this. You can also cause the rear wheel to strike the frame, since the extra travel comes from moving the wheel further. Last you'll void the frame warranty, and could damage the frame and shock. Never mind getting bucked off a cliff when the shock can't control a hit and the tire stops on the frame!

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.
    Thanks again, guys.
    Joe.

Appalache Cycles
    I read all this before I fitted the plates but in the end decided to bite the bullit. I've been happy with the bike since and the travel is far from "crappy". Warranty wise, I decided it didn't matter too much as from what I've heard alot people end up buying a new frame whilst waiting for a warranty replacement! Maybe this is just hear say but you only get a year on the out of bounds bikes anyway.

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    Yeah, i know i sound like a broken record. Putting these plates on your bike will VOID THE WARRANTY. That's really not that big a deal, but it will also not ride well at all. That SHOULD be a big deal. 5 inches of well designed travel is better than 6 inches of crappy travel the hits the seat tube, so forth and so on.
    Here's what we've posted on our webpage about this topic:

How can I add more suspension travel to my bike?
    We build our 5-6-7" bikes with completely different frames. If we didn't the bike would be compromised in it's short travel position. This way the 7" bike rides like the 5" and the 6", just with more travel. We adjust frame angles and sizing, modify rockers, and spec new shocks. The idea that the aftermarket guys are selling a part that will increase the travel by changing one part isn't valid. The Fox shocks are valved for a specific stroke (3:1), and exceeding that results in uncontrolled damping. Putting a heavier spring on does nothing for this. You can also cause the rear wheel to strike the frame, since the extra travel comes from moving the wheel further. Last you'll void the frame warranty, and could damage the frame and shock. Never mind getting bucked off a cliff when the shock can't control a hit and the tire stops on the frame!

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.
    Thanks again, guys.
    Joe.
    Ok, but what if the shock were replaced with one that has an eye-to-eye length that matches the new rockers and then is Pushed to match the new leverage ratio?
    Last edited by burninator; 12-16-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Appalache Cycles
    I'm feeling psychic, I reckon I know what Joe-kona's answer to this might be!!!!!!

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Quote Originally Posted by RobV
    I'm feeling psychic, I reckon I know what Joe-kona's answer to this might be!!!!!!
    Yeah I figure the line will be towed. All opinions are welcomed. The manager at my LBS put Dangerboy's on his 04 Coiler Deelux and raved about it. I have an 03 stinky with a JrT and would love to match up the front and rear travel.

mtbr member
    You pretty well guessed it, guys.
    I've ridden some of these linkages, and do not like the way they ride.

Maybe crappy wasn't the best word to use to describe the ride, but it was the first that came to mind...

A longer stroke shock would probably make the tire hit the seat tube, as i've seen before. The bike isn't built for a different amount of travel than what we put on there, otherwise we would have built it for that! Changing one minor element (the linkage plates) doesn't magically make the travel longer with no drawbacks.

If you guys wanna do it, then so be it, but i have YET to ride one of our bikes with those plates and be pleased with the way the suspension works at all. Maybe i'm just more finicky about it, i don't know.

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe - Kona
    You pretty well guessed it, guys.
    I've ridden some of these linkages, and do not like the way they ride.

Maybe crappy wasn't the best word to use to describe the ride, but it was the first that came to mind...

A longer stroke shock would probably make the tire hit the seat tube, as i've seen before. The bike isn't built for a different amount of travel than what we put on there, otherwise we would have built it for that! Changing one minor element (the linkage plates) doesn't magically make the travel longer with no drawbacks.

If you guys wanna do it, then so be it, but i have YET to ride one of our bikes with those plates and be pleased with the way the suspension works at all. Maybe i'm just more finicky about it, i don't know.
    Thanks for the response Joe. Though you may not know it your opinion is appreciated. It seams that Kona has already responded to this issue by increasing the Stinky to 7" and the Coiler to 6" for 05. They are obviously listening to their customers. However, I don't think my bank account could handle a 3rd bike purchase this year. Come on end of the year bonus.......

Appalache Cycles
    I'm not saying that Joe-kona's opinion isn't appreciated, but I think alot of it is personal preference. I've ridden other people's bikes that I thought sucked and yet the owner loved. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but lets be honest, no manufacturer of pretty much any product wants the end user to modify it. I've heard of people fitting the plates and hating them but I've also heard of people loving them (including me).

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr
    I'm not saying that Joe-kona's opinion isn't appreciated, but I think alot of it is personal preference. I've ridden other people's bikes that I thought sucked and yet the owner loved. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, but lets be honest, no manufacturer of pretty much any product wants the end user to modify it. I've heard of people fitting the plates and hating them but I've also heard of people loving them (including me).
    Sorry RobV I wasn't commenting on your post. I just meant that Joe has re-iterated his opinion on this matter countless times before and I didn't want him to think that we didn't appreciate what he had to say. Getting info directly from a factory guy is an asset to us all. I agree with you about individual preferences, I'm still trying to figure out what I like.
    BTW your Coiler looks sick.

mtbr member
    Thanks for letting me know, guys. I like being able to come in here and help out when i can. I've seen some nasty stuff on some of the other forums, and i'm just glad that doesn't happen over here!

I don't want to bash people for changing their bikes around, i know different people like different things and all.. i just don't think the benefit of added travel with those plates is worth some of the ride and durability issues that follow. As always, to each his own, though!
    Thanks again, guys.

joe.

mtbr member
    Joe,
    Why are the frames when shipped from the manufacture mounted in the linear position (or stocked on the floor assuming that LBS's don't change them)? Why not in the more progressive setting? I learned the hard way and rode around for 5months in linear then decided to change.

Thanks for the linkage plates info, I have been debating on whether or not to get some DangerBoys despite what Go-ride.com employs have said about changing the travel. Your decisive opinion has me thinking to not do it even tho my warrentee is out.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Wyrm,
    They've gotta be mounted some way when we ship them, so that's how they come. It's really a matter of personal preferance, and one isn't better than the other. I leave mine in the linear setting on all of my bikes, it's just what i prefer.
    I do like the more progressive feel of some of the newer forks out there, but I still run most of my shocks in a more linear fashion.
    Joe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hi guys!!!

I want to do the same to my coiler.

Rov, the year of your Coiler is 2004?

Have you change the Fox Vanilla R?? to what?

How many did you paid for the plates?

Regards

Luis G.

Kona Rules!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Robv, Can you explain more what you mencioned

you must make sure the seatpost qr clamp is centralised otherwise it will foul it.

Appalache Cycles
    Yeah it's 2004, It's the standard shock with a different spring and they cost me 106 GBP inc. all the bearings already pressed in and inc. delivery from BETD. I found that if the seat clamp wasn't centralised then in the 7" mode, at full compression, the clamp was just about hitting the plates. With it centralised it fits between the plates.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. Coiler Forks

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your opinions on this forum i enjoyed having a good read through, I have recently fitted some betd travel plates to my 04 coiler and all seems well at the moment but have yet to test it out properly, and i really want to upgrade the stock forks but wasnt sure if it would be ok to fit tripple clamp forks? and if so could i fit 170mm (7") forks that would match up with the new rear sus......... I say one of you guys has got some Jun T's fitted and wondered how they rode as they would deff be the cheaper option that i could get, or i may look at the 2004 boxxer team edition as CRC has them for £399 at the moment. Or poss i might look at the 2005 66rc fork as they come in 170mm and are £379 on CRC ..............SOooooo after all my raving on i was really hoping that you guys may be able to recomend some forks???

mtbr member

Here it is....

2004 Coiler.
    BETD Plates (6 inch setting).
    PUSH'd rear shock.
    170 mm 2006 Marz RC2X fork.

I will be doing the test today for the 6 inch setting to see if the tire will rub in the back. I don't plan on setting it at the 7 inch setting anyway due to the recommended final ratio of my shock. At 6 inches, I will still be at 3:1, so the shock is more than fine. As far as the ride goes, well that's partly why I had it PUSH'd, although I feel that even if I had not PUSH'd it, it would still ride well. To be continued.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Smile

Really sweet looking and i like the black plates! nice, if ive done this right mine should be below

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Doh

not sure how to add pics on here, sry

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

here it is

finally managed it i think ........

mtbr member
    Dman - thanks. Your bike looks sweet also. I'm sure we'll be pleased with the plates.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Here is what I did...

Hi there,
    BETD make rear linkages for the 2004 coiler, I got a pair last year and they work really sweet - no problems what so ever, and now I have a full 7in of plushness

I appreciate what the Joe from Kona says about the plates - of course I would prefer a bike MEANT for 7in travel, but the warranty on an 04 coiler is only a year and his will already have ended so there is no problem in my opinion.

If you're thinking of a Jnr T on the coiler - yes it is absolutely fine. I've gone full bore and put a marzocchi 888 onto mine...I was worried at first but when I finished the job it really doesn't upset any geometry or anything.
    Go for the Jnr T, but have a really good look around for other forks too, especially second hand (i got my 888's for 230 on ebay). Make sure you have looked on all the bike shops etc.

Here's a pic I just took...

Good luck with the modifications

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Smile Forks

Thanks for the advise there, it really helps as im sure you guys know its all a bit of uncertainty buying upgrades for bikes when your not sure if it will work or not!!

I think i may well take a look on ebay as i really do want some forks with 7" travel but the new ones out are sooooo pricey and if i get the 20mm bolt through axel then i'll need a new wheel too so i could do with spending around the 250 mark on forks and then i could get a wheel too.

Well i guess i best get shopping around!

Thanks again will post again to update and when i fit some forks i'll also put a pic on too

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I read all this before I fitted the plates but in the end decided to bite the bullit. I've been happy with the bike since and the travel is far from "crappy". Warranty wise, I decided it didn't matter too much as from what I've heard alot people end up buying a new frame whilst waiting for a warranty replacement! Maybe this is just hear say but you only get a year on the out of bounds bikes anyway.

FYI -- what you have heard about Kona's replacement policy and their response time is dead wrong.... Not meant as a personal attack -- but, I have personally had and know many, many others who have had direct experience over a period of many years with Kona's customer relations.... They are outstanding.

Dave

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ... Just a quick follow up on the travel plates and new 66sl's

Hey all,

Just quickly to say that the travel plates have been riding really well and i still have the stock spring on with 6 turns of preload so all in all working a treat! i have got them set to 6" not 7" so can only vouch for the 6" setting at the mo but it is allowing me to tackle bigger and better stuff and with my new 66SL forks it really is rockin along so my bike is just how i want it and if you're thinking of upgrading a Coiler to more travel front or back i can totally recommend it with a brin grin on my face so enjoy and have fun riding!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    well i went about getting more travel in a slightly different way. i got a set of plates from an 03 stinky that a friend updated with danger boy plates. this required a trip to the local bolt store for a longer upper shock bolt and i still need to call fox and get a longer upper eye bushing, for now i just used spacers and a grade 8 bolt.
    havent had a chance to ride it yet, but just sitting on it i can tell that standover height went up a little. hopefully this will compliment the sherman firefly+ im running out front.
    Last edited by redstar; 05-12-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0