mtbr member
    Oct 2004

2002 Stinky Deelux Frame weight?

Anyone know the frame weight with shock? I'm guessing 8.5

Just roll it......

That'd be my guess.....

I've never weighed my Stinky frame, but I'll guess somewhere in the 8.5 - 9.5 lb. range. I think most folks that own a Stinky or Coiler don't fall into the "gram counter" segment of the sport. As a matter of fact, I've only ever weighed my complete bike with the "step on the bathroom scale" method which is pretty inexact.

Edge, you own a Stinky, so is this just curiousity or are you looking for a comparison with friend's bikes, etc.??

I'm about to do a complete tear down / rebuild of my bike for spring so maybe I'll do some of this then.....actually probably not. If so, I'll let you know what I find out.

EB

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Edge, you own a Stinky, so is this just curiousity or are you looking for a comparison with friend's bikes, etc.??

EB
    Yeah I own one but it's my only bike, so it has to do everything. FR,DH,XC (in that order). So I run a single crown and TRY to keep it light. It's at about 40lbs cause of my spec (z150, Diablous Cranks, 321's etc..) I'm looking at the Transition Preston to get a more trail friendly geo and they weigh 8.5lbs. I think my Stinky's the same so I may just stay with it.

Just roll it......

Yeah, despite the Preston being less travel, it's burly.

Edge, I know the Transition guys pretty well as their in my hometown and I've ridden with them several times. As a matter of fact, I bought my girlfriend a Dirtbag for X-mas so she can tear it up at Whistler and the Shore with me this year. The Preston is a really burly 4 or 5" travel bike - but as you say, it may not fulfill what you're looking for....

Here's an option / idea:
    Get a Preston and build it up with lighter components (e.g. a Fox Fork or a Sherman Firefly). You'd probably get it to ~33 - 35 lbs. and have a bike you could ride everywhere. Then, you could slap a Super T (or similar) on the Stinky and just keep that as a dedicated FR'er.

That's pretty much what I have. I've got a Bear that's more trail bike'ish built and the '02 Stinky Primo at 45 lbs. Eventually, the Stinky is gonna be replaced with a VP-Free with a 'Zocchi 66RC, but for now, it's what I got. No complaints with the Stinky, btw....just looking for a change.....

EB