Just roll it......

'05 Z1 on a Bear/Dawg?

Yo,

I've got a good line on an '05 Z1 from someone locally who's looking to lighten up their bike a little bit. I'd probably thow it on my Stinky most of the time, but might consider putting it on the Bear from time to time just for sh!ts and giggles....probably when I'm too lazy to pull the Super T off.

I know it's a tall fork (Axle-to-crown is 538 mm), but it has ETA on it so I can drop the front end for big climbs. BTW, right now I have a Fox Vanilla 125R on there and I've got an '02 Bear.

I'm just seeing what folks think, but most likely I'll get it for the Stinky anyway.
    EB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Yo,

I've got a good line on an '05 Z1 from someone locally who's looking to lighten up their bike a little bit. I'd probably thow it on my Stinky most of the time, but might consider putting it on the Bear from time to time just for sh!ts and giggles....probably when I'm too lazy to pull the Super T off.

I know it's a tall fork (Axle-to-crown is 538 mm), but it has ETA on it so I can drop the front end for big climbs. BTW, right now I have a Fox Vanilla 125R on there and I've got an '02 Bear.

I'm just seeing what folks think, but most likely I'll get it for the Stinky anyway.
    EB
    Correct me if I am wrong but the Z1 comes in 5.1 or 5.9 inches of travel. (Is it adjustable?)

Personally I don't see a problem with the travel.
    I guess the worry would be the weight specially for the bear/dawg. Stinky would be perfect.

I need a new fork for my dawg and I am looking at the AM1 but can't decide what travel I want. Right now I am leaning to the 4.3-5.1 inches of travel. But the 5-.1-5.9 inches are sweet to..................

Sorry I was not more helpful.........
    Good Luck

Just roll it......

I think the new Z1 is just 150mm.

DP,

I should have elaborated a bit more. The one I'm getting is the new Z1 FR I which is 150mm and comes with the ETA. The Z1 FR II and III are both 130mm.

If I remember correclty, you have a Z150 on a RFX? It's essentially the same fork, but now comes with a dedicated thru-axle (no more QR 20), has a new damping cartridge in it (their calling them 888 cartridges) and is all black and ultra pimp lookin'.

It will definitely slack out the Bear if I put it on it, but the primary reason to get it is so I can ride the Stinky without the Super T on more XC rides. Don't get me wrong, that fork is the most confidence-inspiring thing I've ridden, but the 8 lbs. and the 558 mm axle to crown height - without the use of an ETA - is a b!tch on some of the longer rides we do or the long / steep climbs. I figure for most of my riding, that thing will be perfect and then I can throw the Super T on for bigger and burlier stuff.

It doesn't help that I'm coming off an injury so lugging that bike around isn't gonna be fun for a while. It'll definitely be fun to swap out onto the Bear a little bit. I just sent the Bear's shock down to Darren and had it 'pushed' as well, so both bikes will be pedaling really nice now. I can't say enough about their service.....

Cheers,
    EB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    I figured EB, you would go with the 6 inch Z1. They do look really shweeeet all in black. I like the thru-axle and think it will be easier to use then the QR20.
    With 4 inches in the back and 6 in the front the bear would feel like a chopper out on the trails...................lol
    As to your issue if the weight and taking your bear or stinky with the Z1 on long xc rides.
    I just love to take my RFX on those xc rides because I have so much fun when the downhill sections arrive. The up-hill are a bit harder cause your pushing a bit more weight compared to those xc bikes but you should see the envy in their eyes when you take off first on the downhill section in the middle of friggen nowhere..........

This summer I did a ride to Spruce Lake (North of Pemberton, BC), which I recommend to everyone and I took my RFX. I had a great time and had no problem with any part of the ride. My Dawg could have easily handled it but wanted to find out how the RFX would do. I did about 30 km a day (give or take) and over the 3 days the total was around 95 km.
    You should see what some of these bikers up here us for xc riding.......but then you should know you have been up to Whistler alot.

But like you I have to make a decision about my fork since I sold my Fox fork I need to figure out what I want to buy. Like you I was even was thinking of putting the Z150 on the Dawg and getting something really sweet for the RFX. I was worried the 6 inches on the front of my dawg would slack'in the angle to much in the front...............that was why I was thinking about the AM1.
    I know that it might not be a option for you because your thinking of the great deal you could get for the Z1 but AM1 might be a really interesting option for ya. Of course there are alot of differences which are quite obvious between the forks
    But the the AM1 with TST and 5.1"-5.9" of travel does look interesting. It is light for those xc rides yet is adjustable at the same time to match a dawg or RFX or the 5-spot I have put on the wish list ......................or in your case a bear or stinky.
    That is my 2 cents

Good luck

Just roll it......

DP, I've got an experiment that could help us both! :)

DP,

How 'bout this? Maybe you could throw the Z150 on the Dawg just to see how that handles for a ride or two? Then, we both would know the long-term viability of a 6" fork on that bike! Ok, I know it's a bit of a pain so don't feel obligated. The AM1 looks to be a great fork and actually, the guy I'm (hopefully) buying the Z1 from is planning to put an AM1 on his 6 Pack. I guess I'm trying to get the best of both worlds with a fork that could be swapped across both bikes - if necessary. I think that's possible with the Z1, but I was just wondering what others were putting on their bikes. I rode my Bear a bit yesterday and the Fox 125 Vanilla still feels great so I'm not in a huge hurry to get rid of that.

FWIW, I've choppered the Bear out once before with a significantly heavier/taller fork, but that was just for a few rides and it didn't handle *that* poorly. I'd compare riding a really slack bike for XC applications to skiing / boarding with a really firm ski.....if you don't stay agressive and keep your weight forward, it's gonna kick your butt. Maybe not a totally translatable analogy, but you get the point.

About Spruce Lakes.... Me and FM (from the Turner board) are already planning a trip in the Chilcotin's next summer. I'd like to do a 3-4 day trip up there and have contacted the guide group that leads tours up there just to get an idea about prices. Don't know if it'd be worth it or not to use them, but I do like the idea of them carrying my gear in on a mule while we ride 30 miles in to a cabin!!

I'd love to hear more about that area if you have some good info.

Cheers,
    EB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    EB, it is funny you wrote about putting the Z150's on my dawg.
    I was thinking about that at work today and was wondering my I had not thought of that before. I should but I will have to wait a bit when I have more time, very busy at work right now.......Xmas is coming.
    As for Spruce Lake it is a great ride.
    A freind of mine who usually organizes the trip is taking next year off. He got tired of organizing the trip having a bunch of riders saying they wanted to go and then 1 month before the trip cancel..........anyways I have talked to a few people about the ride and there seems I have a couple people already interested. Buddy of mine has told me that he would like someone else organize the trip. So.........I might be organizing a trip into the area. Or I might be going somewhere else that weekend and take a break next year from Spruce Lake..... I will have to make up mind in February and consider the options..............
    For your info: (fom previous trips)
    about 10 - 12 riders and the cost is around $120.00/person. (cdn) (approx cost + or -)
    (That covers your stuff flown in and out. A few extra like fuel for a stove and couple extras.)
    You have to supply your own food and .......obvious stuff.
    One has to get to the trail head which is organized at a later date.
    Weather can be a hit or miss, ranging from hot and dry to wet, snowy and cold. (And everything in between)
    This ride is done on the long weekend in August. (1st Monday)
    That is a very brief outline.
    {It is a very cheap but spectacular weekend

Did you not see the pictures I posted on the Turner site about that weekend in mid August? Ts is liked them......

It might not be what your looking for but it is another option to think about if your interested.

Most of this info is of the top of my head and I was going to look into if I want to run this trip but not till next year. (Got to book the plane) Most of my freinds are busy XC skiing and don't want to think about biking right now. ( I am getting back into skiing but did a bike ride last weekend.) LOL

Couple shots from last August:

Have a good day
    (Sorry for being so long winded....... )
    I'll let your know how the Z150 feels on the dawg>>>>>

Last edited by Dawgprimo; 12-13-2004 at 10:26 PM.

Just roll it......

Those pics are great.

Man, those pics are fantastic. I assume you've seen the Collective, correct? Those shots get me fired up everytime I see that movie!!

Let me know if you're definitely planning a trip there this summer. I'm saving up vaca that I'd normally utilize for snowboarding this winter (due to a messed-up knee) and I'll be gung-ho on the biking this Spring/Summer. I plan to do a roadtrip to Kamloops and Keleowna with my girlfriend and also want to do an extended Chilcotin trip (I'd probably tack on a few days in Whistler as well). If I can hit the Chilcotin's with some experienced folks, all the better!

Let me know if you put the Z150 on the Bear. FWIW, my buddies own a small bike company down here called Transition. They have a bike callled the Preston that is very similar (but a little burlier) to the Bear/Dawg and they run that frame with Z150's all the time. They really like that setup.

Cheers,
    EB