mtbr member

05 Cowan frame weight? Other questions too.

Anyone know the weight of the 05 Cowan frames? I thought I found it somewhere but can't locate it now.

I'm toying with the idea of using one for a trail bike. I like how the XL has a 17.5" seat tube and a long 24.3" top tube. Most frames that have a top tube that long have a crazy standover height since they are 20" frames. I'm 6' tall, not sure if I'll want the L or XL.

Anything negative about the bolt on dropouts? I'll def be running a rear derailleur. No SS for me.
    Leeann Tweeden is looking for me.....

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Cowan Weight...

My Large frame weighs 5.6lbs... that might be with a headset, I can't remember.

I am riding mine as a SS trailbike and I love it. PIKE on front gives a lot of versatility... 95mm for urban or slow and technical XC riding, and I can crank it out to 140mm to make it really good going down hill.

See the Single Speed Cowan thread...

You get both types of dropout with the frame. I suggest you buy thick fender washers that have more surface area than the little knurled washers that come stock. Not as big an issue with gears, but I was getting some slippage running the SS. Either way, dropout movement wreaks a little havoc with your disk brake alignment.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by FISHLEG
    Anyone know the weight of the 05 Cowan frames? I thought I found it somewhere but can't locate it now.

I'm toying with the idea of using one for a trail bike. I like how the XL has a 17.5" seat tube and a long 24.3" top tube. Most frames that have a top tube that long have a crazy standover height since they are 20" frames. I'm 6' tall, not sure if I'll want the L or XL.

Anything negative about the bolt on dropouts? I'll def be running a rear derailleur. No SS for me.