mtbr member
    Dec 2004

05 coiler question for kona joe (and everyone else)

How much does the regular (not deelux) 05 coiler weigh? Im trying to decide if i should buy it, I live in PA where i have to ride up before i can go down so how does it climb. I know other posts have dnaced around these questions but i really need a straitforward answer so i dont waste my $$ on something that is not best for me
    Thanks alot, Joe

Still on Training Wheels!
    Same boat your in! I'm in CO and i need to climb 90% of the trails in the area. I think the coiler will meet an exceed all of my needs and expectations.

I've demo'd the coiler a couple of times and have foun that it peddals extreemly well. No bob what so ever when seated, and slight, but managable bob when standing. As for weight i would say its between 35-37 lbs not 100% sure though. I think it will be a solid bike for riding everything that you come across
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Ron
    mtbr member
    17" 05 coiler

36lbs stock except SS eggbeaters, xtr sc rear derailluer, raceface bash guard, lock on grips

37.7lbs with platforms & Kenda Blue Grooves DH casing 2.5 front & 2.35 back

this bike climbs like a goat in the granny gear! that'd be a slow goat tho

that said i highly recommend this bike if you want one bike that will do it all

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

18" weight

16.14 kg without pedals in 18" according to this french magazine review : http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...&parentid=182#

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ha ha ha...

but seriously mtberjoe, myself and others have asked these weight questions of kona-Joe and he won't answer them. He believes weight is really not that important (his words from some old post, not mine). I actually agree that weight is secondary, but hey, I can only have one bike and I pedal uphill alot so, it's nice info for comparison shopping or to help build up or upgrade a bike. Truth is, many others have given approx. Coiler weights, but the point is I was a potential customer asking a sincere question that I could not get an answer to. As such, Kona lost a customer (used to ride a Dawg) and Turner gained one. Capitalism is great; it guarantees competition and choices. Customer service counts. Farewell Kona!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Weights?

An 05 Coiler wieghs around 35lbs. That is pretty darn close. After that what does it matter? Give or take a couple of pounds on either end. It's a great bike for what it is meant to do and be light is not one of them. To bad Kona lost a customer and Turner gained one but we all ride and I'm sure the Turner is a great bike. You should test ride a Coiler though just to check it out.

Just roll it......

Forester....you're gonna love your bike.

I have several friends that ride Turners and they all LOVE them. Two are on RFX's and those bikes rock.

I agree that Joe's ambiguous answers on most questions are a far cry from Casey at Turner who gives a ton of detail and usually offers up solutions to problems. I have to ask though....why didn't you give Joe a call vs. throwing a post on here? In a public forum, companies usually have to play the "CYA" rule and as a result, often don't give absolutes in these forums. I almost always find that it's better to give them a call - whether it's Kona, 'Zocchi, Fox or whoever.

FWIW, on a 6" travel bike, I think you've got to consider the intended use and build when considering the weight. I've got many buddies that stepped up on their bikes and most of them quickly realized that their lighter components (wheels, tires, etc.) just don't hold up once they start pushing the bike's limits and upgreaded to burlier componets. Eventually, you're gonna end up with a bike that hovers in the 35-38 lb. range regardless of the bike....I guarantee it.

Enjoy your new ride. I know a guy (Turtle 1) that got one of the i-bike demo 6 packs and loves it.

EB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    EB Check Your PMs

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    thanks guys, youve been a real help.
    Joe

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtberjoe
    How much does the regular (not deelux) 05 coiler weigh? Im trying to decide if i should buy it, I live in PA where i have to ride up before i can go down so how does it climb. I know other posts have dnaced around these questions but i really need a straitforward answer so i dont waste my $$ on something that is not best for me
    Thanks alot, Joe
    The blue Coiler $1599, 19 inch was 37 lbs at the shop I went to.

Members who have read this thread: 0