mtbr member
    Jan 2005

'04 Coiler with 66 (150 mm)??

Is it possible without losing warranty?
    The head angle would by about 65° - what do you think?

eugene

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The 04 Coiler can takr any fork without losing warranty. The 66 is way to tall for it though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i disagree with acme. While it would be steep, its only 20 mm more than stock. The coiler can take DC or SC forks without voiding warranty, and not many DC forks are shorter than the 150mm version of the 66, so i think youll be safe.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw8899
    i disagree with acme. While it would be steep, its only 20 mm more than stock. The coiler can take DC or SC forks without voiding warranty, and not many DC forks are shorter than the 150mm version of the 66, so i think youll be safe.
    HUH?

I said that the bike can take any fork and not lose (void) the warranty. And the 66 might only have 20mm more travel than the stock fork but it's a to c is way taller. Those forks are really tall. And it wouldn't make it steeper it would rake it out. Which wouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you don't climb alot or care about twitchy steering.

The fork that comes on a Coiler is the second from the left, next a super/jr T, and the the 66.

Get a Z1 or something.

Last edited by Acme54321; 01-19-2005 at 09:24 PM.

Just roll it......

You can put anything on it you want.

With that said, I'm gonna agree with acme.

Depending on your particular application is that the 66 is a super tall fork. For instance, the 150mm version has an A-2-C height of 571mm and my my Super T is 558mm. I don’t know off hand what the 170mm version A2C height is, but you get the pic.....they make these forks tall.

Check it, A2C heights in order:

'04 Z1 - 518mm (I believe this is what your bike came with)
    '05 Z1 is the exact same A2C as the ’04 Z150…..538mm.
    '03 - '05 Super T - 558mm A2C
    '05 66 (150mm travel) - 571mm A2C

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    thx, guys. thats all i wanted to know. but im afraid of the z1 fr 1 being flexy
    maybe i should wait for fox's 36.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    The 36 should be a sweet fork. The Z1 should be pretty stiff with a thru axle, http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/li...LN=UK&Sito=mtb . According to Marzocchi's website the 66 is deffinately tall, the 150mm 66 is taller than the 170mm Jr T.

Just roll it......

I think with the 20mm thru-axle the '05 Z1 would be stiff enough.

It would be at least as stiff as the '04 Z150's and maybe a tad stiffer due to the dedicated thru-axle.

But that all depends on a few things. Do you still want to ride this bike everywhere? Also, how big do you truly want to go with this bike and how smooth of a rider are you (i.e. do you usually stick the trannies or are you going to flat pretty often)? I have 4 buddies with Z150's that are riding similar bikes (2 Sabers, AC1, RFX) and they all love their Z150.

Don't know anything about the Fox 36 yet - except it's gonna be expensive. I'm going to be getting a 170mm 66 for my Stinky in the near future. I'll post some reports on it when I get it. I can tell you that the guys I've seen riding the 66 go huge....much bigger than me - so I have no doubts about it's strength.

EB

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    i gotta make a confession to you guys ( <- is this right? please correct me, i'm from germany )
    well, first i ordered a sherman firefly+, after five weeks of awful waiting i canceled my order. then i ordered z1 fr1, hoping it wouldn't take that much time to get it, cuz it was supposed to be available in 48 hours. two weeks later: no z1 fr1. but i got a call by someone who's working at this shop. he told me that the forks gotta be there on monday (this happened last friday). then i just ordered the 66rc to compare these two forks and decide then which one to keep. the 66 came yesterday (thursday) - it was like x-mas n birthday at the same time. so i put it on my bike and looked how it fitted. the bike's centre of gravity (is this right) moved more back and the head-angle became slacker. today i rode it: going uphill is a real torture, but it was the same when i rode this bike with the custom fork for the first time. i haven't been riding for years. so i think you get used to it - you get fitter by getting beyond your own borders and not if you always go 50% of your strength (i hope u get what i wanna tell u).
    but downhill it's a real fun machine. its more fun doing drops into trannies and i wanted to go faster and faster every time i rode sowhere down.
    i know that i spoiled the bikes original image, but in my opinion it was worth it :P

P.S. the fork functions awesome - no comparisson to the drop-off comp, of course
    anyway, thanks for your advices

inner peace to make peace

Coiler frame's designed for double clamp fork

Quote Originally Posted by oign
    Is it possible without losing warranty?
    The head angle would by about 65° - what do you think?

eugene

Coiler frame's designed for double-clamp forks, so you might as get a Boxxer or SliderPlus
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The z1 with 20mm thru will be the best for that bike. Especially if you still want the thing to climb once and a while. I run a z150 (6in) and a Sherman Firefly on my 02 Stinky and love them both.

Still on Training Wheels!
    I run a z150 (6in) and a Sherman Firefly on my 02 Stinky and love them both.
    Can you compare those two forks for me. i'm currently looking at both those models. I love the external adjustments on the firefly and flick, but love the durability of the Z150. What are your thoughts.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member

What about Rock Shox?

What about the Rock Shox Boxxer Ride?, 133 - 178mm of travel, they sound spot on for the job, would like to hear from anyone whose tried them.

Still on Training Wheels!
    Any one know how the coiler would react to an 05 manitou slider plus(7") or an 04 slider(6")
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

Just roll it......

Hmmm...Rock shox

Quote Originally Posted by Coiler Mad
    What about the Rock Shox Boxxer Ride?
    I think the lack of response to that question kind of said it all.

I'm pretty biased living in the PNW, but out of 20 guys that I ride with (12+ of them very regularly), we have 3 Fox, 3 Sherman's, 1 minute and the rest ride 'Zocchi Z1's, Z150's and Super T's. I just sold my super T and got a 66RC (170mm of travel).

At some point or another, most of us had ridden Rock Shox and I don't think any will go back anytime soon. While 'Zocchi's are usually a bit heavier, they almost always are more durable, easy to maintain (change oil) but don't require maintenance every 3 months.

Interestingly, last summer, Mountain Bike Action did a completely random survey of folks in the lift line at Whistler. Of those that went through the line during a 20 minute period, the vast majority were Marzocchi. I don't have the numbers on me so I won't quote it, but it was overwhelmingly 'Zocchi. Until someone can prove me wrong, I'm not switching fork brands.

EB
    Last edited by ebxtreme; 02-02-2005 at 05:44 PM.