yeah, uh............bikes

03 Dawg suspension Upgrades??

First off, I've had a 2003 Kona Dawg for almost a year now and I love it. I've started doing bigger drops and jumps and the bike has held up great, but I've been wondering if some extra travel in the suspension would help. I found some rear suspension arms/plates/whatever you call 'em from Betd that upgrade the travel to 5 or 6 inches, and was wondering if anyone has used these. The Betd plates are the only upgrades I've seen, I checked out Dangerboy stuff but didn't see anything.

Also I have seen the '05 Dawg and it looks like the rear triangle has been beefed up to handle the extra travel. That made me think that the '03 might not have the strength to handle bigger stuff.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any info anyone has on upgrading the suspension. Thanks

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Changing the amount of travel in the back changes the angles (obvious) and also changes the type of riding the bike was meant to do. (Warranty issues there if relative)
    If your looking at 5 or 6 inches of travel in the back maybe a new Coiler might be your thing ..................

Also I have noticed the New 05' Dawgs have smaller tire clearances then the older models had. The new bike's (correct me if I am wrong) the biggest tire you can get on there is a smallish 2.3. but I think a 2.1 fits better. The complete bikes have narrow rims compared to my Dawg. It has become more XC oriented because I think Kona now has the coiler that has become the beefer version of the older Dawg.
    I will say I like the older Dawgs better then the newer one's. If I were buying I would probably would be looking at the Coiler rather then the Dawg.

That is my 2cents......

Rope stretcher
    Apr 2004
    Dawg Primo, I just put a 2.5 Kenda Nevegall in an 05 Dawg Frame and it fits fine more room than my Heckler Had. Run a 2.3 and there will be plenty of clearance for mud. Also slackening the HT and ST angles and 5+5 suspension seems counter to your idea of the Dawg becoming more of an XC bike? other than the low BB it seems that the Dawg is going more toward the Coiler than the KiKapu.
    Last edited by like2ride; 12-27-2004 at 11:26 PM.

Just roll it......

FloridaFish, I just PM'd you.

I can give you the low-down on the BETD linikage for the Bear/Dawg (good, bad, etc.). Check your PM and shoot me an email.

Cheers,
    EB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by like2ride
    Dawg Primo, You are wrong about the tire clearance. I just put a 2.5 Kenda Nevegall in an 05 Dawg Frame and it fits fine more room than my Heckler Had. Run a 2.3 and there will be plenty of clearance for mud. Also slackening the HT and ST angles and 5+5 suspension seems counter to your idea of the Dawg becoming more of an XC bike? other than the low BB it seems that the Dawg is going more toward the Coiler than the KiKapu.
    Like I said I could be wrong..............
    But the bikes I saw and what others have told me, most were built to a more XC ride then freeride. The Dawg IMHO is aggresive XC oriented. When I bought my Dawg that is what I bought it for.
    You would take a Coiler to the Mountian bike park not the Dawg.
    Now if you customize your Dawg into a light freeride bike? Why?
    Besides there might be a warrenty issue...........but what do I know.

Also it does depend on the type of rim that is selected. A narrow rim can make tires look smaller and the type of pattern can make a difference.
    And not all 2.3 or 2.5 are the same...........

Besides I believe in beefier rim lighter tire rather then light rim beefier tire.

Rope stretcher
    Apr 2004
    FYI The Kenda Nevegall is a Big 2.5 do a search over in wheels and tires if you want specs to compare, it is mounted on a 28mm wide rhynolite xl.

As Primo suggests -I would by an 04 or 05 Coiler before I used the after market rockers to increase travel on a Dawg. I wish I could tell you more about my 05 Dawg Primo but I have not built it up yet but it is definately going to be a stout trail rig.

In the Kitchen
    My '03 Dawg upgrades...

Push'd the Fox Float R
    110mm 'zocchi DJ III
    E.13 DRS
    65mm / 6* Kore B52 stem
    2.3 Blue Groove/Nevegal combo
    WTB Speed V saddle
    Wellgo B37 platforms
    ODI Rogue Lock-on grips
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org