Words on the new Warden 2020 ?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Keep on Rockin...

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?

Would like to hear a good, thorough review on the Warden 2020. A few short reviews are out there, but nothing very detailed.

mtbr member
    I've just seen these ones.

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/mtb/knoll...t-impressions/

https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/29/one...lent-traction/

Since Warden 2020's are not for sale to the masses yet it could be a while until we get wide ranging feebdack on the new bike.

Pinkbike has been pretty good at reviewing Knolly bikes once they are in production so hopefully they get a review out in early 2020.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Mike,

There are a few Warden V2's out for reviews right now for reviews but because we are still waiting on our first production run, we are limited in frames that can be used. We have them currently under some racers, a few for media, a couple of team guys, and a couple staff members, myself included.

Pay attention to the following publications for more reviews.

Warden LT - Canadian Cycling - Linked above
    Warden 160mm - Bicycle Rumor - Linked above
    Warden LT - Singletrack UK. - Week long first look demo in Whistler.
    Warden LT - Bike Mag
    Warden 160mm - MB Action - Long term
    Warden LT - NSMB - Long term heading out this week
    Warden LT - Fanatik Bike Shop - Currently at shop

There are still some notable publications not on this list that we are working with to set up reviews. More to come!

Here is a photo of my Warden LT. Please let me know if you want some incredibly biased feedback.
    Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-warden-lt.jpg

Cheers,
    Cavan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5732.jpg  

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks. Nice bike.

Yeah, I got a look at just about all those reviews, though they were pretty short.

Three reasons I'm into Knolly bikes...

Suspension feel.

Progressive geo.

Cost effective, high performance aluminum frames
    - especially when they come in raw But that new red link does sort of... stand out ?

Of all the reviews minimal time was spend talking about suspension characteristics/feel. That's the main thing I'm waiting to hear about. Suspension feel under power; under braking; on the chatter; on the big hits... Also interested in hearing about how the new RS rear damper plays with the Warden. I hear its a good shock.

Feel free to weigh in.
    Last edited by Miker J; 11-26-2019 at 06:35 AM.

I'm with stupid
    I would be interested in how they corner at speed and if they feel twitchy when cornering at speed. I sadly could never get my Warden C to play right in those high speed corners. So i ended up selling it. The only reason was high speed corners. I hope it is not the same with the new one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm going to hold off giving a review of the bike as I work for Knolly and am biased. I'll talk more specifically of comparing to the old Warden to the new Warden and Warden LT and my experience riding prototypes last winter and production versions since this past summer.

A bit about me first: I'm 6'1", 230LBS. 33" inseam. I'm currently riding a large. I'm still young but have been riding for 20 years on the shore. I'm dumb enough to do silly things and want to jump stuff most people wouldn't ride. I ride through things, rather than around them. I attend a few Enduro races each year. I'm not fast and winning but I'm not slow either. I'm a competitive beer league racer. I've extensively ridden every Knolly model we've made except for the original Endorphin.

Suspension: The old Warden felt pretty darn amazing. It could plow through most things but still had the agility to change line the moment you thought of it, the old bike had become an extension of my body. We needed to keep that but we wanted a bit more back end.

Pedaling: While the bike was an incredible technical climber, we wanted a bit more zip so we designed in more pedal platform (anti-squat). The bike now has PLENTY of pickup and go but I'm still a billy goat when ascending. I'd say the LT probably pedals better than the old Warden, the new 160mm Warden is a rocket.

Descending: Loving what we had before, the new bike has a similar curve to the old bike but more suspension for more monster-trucking. More pedal platform gives the bike just a bit more of a lively feel. I've found that I can tune this out or in depending on my shock set up. The bike will still let you override the heck out of it without biting back, just like ALL previous Knollys.

Super Deluxe: I'll be honest. This one took a bit to grow on me. We love our Fox. Race Face, and now Fox Canada, are 100 feet away from us and they have provided excellent service and attention to ensure our shocks are dialed. I rode the X2 and and super tuned DPX2 on my Fugitive LT for most of last summer. Both were solid shocks. The DPX2 has also been our best selling shock on the Fugitive LT.

So why did we cut the DPX2 from the lineup for 2020 and why are we looking to the Super Deluxe Ultimate to fill the roll on everything from the Fugitive ST up to the Delirium? I've been getting a bunch more time on the Super Deluxe over the last few months and really appreciate the initial stroke tracking, mid-stroke support, and most importantly, the ability to throw hell at it and not have it get overwhelmed. This shock packs an incredible punch into a small and affordable chassis, IMHO but I think it is a class leader for trail/ enduro shocks. It is the BEST value for our customers at this price point. Of course, it also pairs very well with the Lyric Ultimate found on the front end of our our Dawn Patrol build kit. The 2020 Ultimate is another standout performer.

What gets me really fired up is that I think we can get even more out of this shock. We've got some samples in process and will continue to test and play around with various settings this winter on the Fugitive LT, Warden, Warden LT, and Delirium. We are happy with our current tune but won't let this slow down our quest for the best performing bicycle on the market.

You will find that Bike Mag, MB Action, and shortly NSMB.com will all have review bikes with this shock. More will come out on it.

I want to make clear that we are still offering the Fox X2 Factory as a premium shock on the frame. It is a DH level air shock and performance is second to none. The shock is more expensive than the Super Deluxe and does have a bunch of dials on it that people don't want to fiddle with. We offer both so you can choose.

Geo: We heard some people speaking up about the size of the new bikes. I was tentative moving forward whenever I looked at the number on paper but every time I jumped on a prototype, I new that it HAD to be the size it was and this as the path to the best new Warden. I'm 6'1" on the nose with just over a 33" inseam. I'm riding a large, with a 50mm stem and uncut OneUp carbon bars. I could ride a 60mm stem and still feel comfortable but could throw a 40mm stem on the bike and wouldn't feel cramped.

Thank you for mentioning that the bike is cost effective! This is a term that a current or past Knolly customer would understand. While our frames are at the top end of the alloy frame pricing spectrum, outside of a couple of unique standouts such as Pole or Nicolai. Once somebody rides, owns, or even gets a Knolly in their ride group, they quickly understand how cost effective it can actually be. Longer service intervals, less down time, easier maintenance when it comes time to do it, and a bike that doesn't give me a hassle when charging down the trail. These are some of the most under spoken traits of a Knolly and something that an avid cyclist can really appreciate.

Thank you Noel for knowing you S**T and for taking a true engineer's approach rather than an Industrial Designer's approach. I haven't always agreed with you **Cough142Cough** but you have always done it the right way and the bikes show. It isn't easy but the outcome is always great.

I got a bit carried away here but hopefully this answers some questions! Please let us know if you have any more!

CB

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Looking forward to the new Warden!
    Thanks CB for a review lite.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT
    20' Knolly Warden

Keep on Rockin...
    Thanks for that info. Sounds great.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Hey Cavan, given that the new Warden is a better pedaller than the old one, how close does it come to the Endorphin's level of get up and go?
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Hey Cavan, given that the new Warden is a better pedaller than the old one, how close does it come to the Endorphin's level of get up and go?
    Yo BM, The Endorphin and new Warden are still very different bikes with different pedaling dynamics. The Endorphin remains a trail bike while the Warden got a kick to become an excellent pedaling enduro bike. The Endorphin has more A.S. in addition to having less travel than the Warden giving the Endo an amazingly fast feeling. The Warden is now more of a pleasure to pedal around all day but with the extra travel and head angle, there would be space in the garage for both bikes without overstepping each other.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnies View Post

Super Deluxe:

So why did we cut the DPX2 from the lineup for 2020 and why are we looking to the Super Deluxe Ultimate to fill the roll on everything from the Fugitive ST up to the Delirium? I've been getting a bunch more time on the Super Deluxe over the last few months and really appreciate the initial stroke tracking, mid-stroke support, and most importantly, the ability to throw hell at it and not have it get overwhelmed. This shock packs an incredible punch into a small and affordable chassis, IMHO but I think it is a class leader for trail/ enduro shocks. It is the BEST value for our customers at this price point. Of course, it also pairs very well with the Lyric Ultimate found on the front end of our our Dawn Patrol build kit. The 2020 Ultimate is another standout performer.

What gets me really fired up is that I think we can get even more out of this shock. We've got some samples in process and will continue to test and play around with various settings this winter on the Fugitive LT, Warden, Warden LT, and Delirium. We are happy with our current tune but won't let this slow down our quest for the best performing bicycle on the market.

CB
    So are you saying I should consider the Super Deluxe Ultimate on my Fugitive build? I donít mind paying for the upgrade to DPX2 if itís still an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

BC
    mtbr member
    Oh great, they just had to make a LT version. My Warden C is dialed in and awesome, but......😁

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    So are you saying I should consider the Super Deluxe Ultimate on my Fugitive build? I donít mind paying for the upgrade to DPX2 if itís still an upgrade.

Hey Krob!

I just sent you a PM regarding this - cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Could you please PM that to me as well?
    Thanks!

Perpetual Hack

I went with a SuperDeluxe Coil that then had the Avy treatment. Could not be happier. There is not much that can be done do custom tune the Fox compared to RS. There is also Steve at Vorsprung and his Tractive tune. I went Avy as I did both ends as I built a Yarilanche for my Fugi LT. You can ride it stock then get a tune when you send it it for its yearly.... I have CCDB coil on the Delirium and Podium and a CCDB-A on the Endo and I can say the Avy tuned SuperDeluxe is a significant upgrade.

Your gonna love the Fugi.
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Yebo Numzaan
    I freeking love this bike. I have mine set up XC with a Fox 170 Grip 2 and a DHX2 at 160. It took me one ride to adapt from my Carbon W to the longer V2 and the stability at speed was probably my first comment. Looking back at the last year I would say my overall confidence riding new / blind technical / steep trail on this bike was probably the most noticeable feature...simply how predictable / stable and composed it feels...also big props to my 2019 Fox suspension and set up.

I injured my MCL mid summer and bought a Santa Cruz 5010 that i thought would be more of a "pedally" bike to help me during the recovery. The jump in pedalling performance from my 35lb (??) (DH wheels / 2.5 tires / cush core) V2 to the 30lb 5010 wasn't as startling as I thought it would be and after breaking two rear wheels and exceeding the maximum volume spacers in the shock I decided that I didnt want to be accused of cruelty to bikes and so I sold it. It was fun trying to ride the local gnar on a small bike..but somehow i break sh1t and i need a bike that can take the abuse.

I struggled mid summer back on the W (second MCL strain) and kinda blamed it on the bike...but towards the end of the summer and now into the winter season I am back in love in a monogamous relationship. I blew up the X2 recently - but other than that have not had one issue with this bike.

Been doing regular 20-25 mile (PNW) XC rides and feel totally comfortable on the V2. Recently upgraded to a 185mm Bike Yoke dropper which was awesome. I had previously been lowering the seat post an inch or two on double black descents.

I definitely like having two bikes and if a new Endorphin comes out with the same 2020 features and geo as the Warden I would be SO stoked....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_3731-medium-.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-2019-04-23-17.04.58-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by Muttonchops; 12-11-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added some pics
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    I freeking love this bike.
    I'm glad you are digging the new Warden so much. I know you are really putting it through its paces!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Awesome, sounds like a great bike. How does it compare to the Warden V1 and the fugitive?

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're having blast on it, I'll echo your sentiments about a revamped Endo too. Alloy Knolly frames just seem to get better and better looking with each evolution!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Super positive review of the new Warden on Bible of Bikes 2020...
    Congrats to the whole team @ Knolly! Seems all the hard work payed off - well deserved!

Yebo Numzaan
    Good spot here's the link

https://www.bikemag.com/2020-bible-o...knolly-warden/

The review is really spot on and mentions most of what i have said -
    1) you dont notice the long reach - not after my first ride!

2) super stable / balanced at speed - I have compared it to the feeling when i used to get up on the plane on a windsurfer...its an awesome feeling as the sail becomes light in your hands, there is less drag from the water and it becomes a lot quieter...I have never felt a similar feeling on a bike before.

3) Pedals really well - I seldom use the lock out on the Float X2, love how forward I am over the BB. I love a good tech climb (I built a short tech climbing trail that causes friends to use my name in the same sentence as a swear word) and am climbing better on this bike than any other...again the length is not an issue...i believe it helps. I was genuinely surprised!

Going back to stability / speed...after getting a Warden Carbon i realized I didnt enjoy hitting a big jump line near home on it and so got a Delirium mostly for that and shuttle days. I also always rode the D with flat pedals...when the W V2 came along i instantly felt comfortable on the jump line - and it was the first time i started hitting it clipped in...another thing that surprised me...I didnt even think about it.

I ride it 160/170 and in in the high position

I hope this bike knocks it out the park for Knolly
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Nice! Thanks for sharing! Glad to read this. Any update on delivery time frame?

mtbr member
    Quck question on the shock stroke if you've got the time.

I see the Warden is 205x60mm, Warden LT is 205x62.5mm. These are usually the same shocks (205x60/65mm trunnions) with stroke limiting spacers inside.

Will anything on the frame hit if you take out the spacer and run 65mm stroke (quick maths approx 175mm travel)?
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    The warden, warden lt, and delirium all use the exact same frame. You will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couleecruiser View Post
    The warden, warden lt, and delirium all use the exact same frame. You will be fine.
    That's perfect.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    i am finalizing my order today, so torn between Warden and a LT. I know it is also easy to change later but I am torn!! Has anyone ridden both?

Yebo Numzaan
    I have mine set up 160 (Float X2) / 170 and love it. It has been my only bike for most of the last year. I raced Trans BC and rode tons of Whistler / Squamish / Pemberton...but not the bike park. With out a doubt I rode the steepest gnarliest trails I have ever ridden and it felt totally confidence inspiring and composed.

From my perspective i would only go LT if I was perhaps doing park laps. I do ride a local trail with some pretty big jumps but all to trannies and so travel is not really relevant there.

If you are like me and pedal for your vert I would stick to less travel - if you shuttle a lot / ride the park or do repetitive laps...I might reconsider.

I doubt that there are significant draw backs from more travel (in terms of pedal efficiency)...but if anything I would say this bike is plush and stable at speed and i am probably looking for more trail feel / pop vs wishing the bike had a deeper feel to it.

Adios and see you in the review section later!!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have mine set up 160 (Float X2) / 170 and love it. It has been my only bike for most of the last year. I raced Trans BC and rode tons of Whistler / Squamish / Pemberton...but not the bike park. With out a doubt I rode the steepest gnarliest trails I have ever ridden and it felt totally confidence inspiring and composed.

From my perspective i would only go LT if I was perhaps doing park laps. I do ride a local trail with some pretty big jumps but all to trannies and so travel is not really relevant there.

If you are like me and pedal for your vert I would stick to less travel - if you shuttle a lot / ride the park or do repetitive laps...I might reconsider.

I doubt that there are significant draw backs from more travel (in terms of pedal efficiency)...but if anything I would say this bike is plush and stable at speed and i am probably looking for more trail feel / pop vs wishing the bike had a deeper feel to it.

Adios and see you in the review section later!!
    thanks agree with all you say, just having last minute questions of my decision! went 160, i do climb, live in the NW so lots of longer fire road stuff. i am pretty excited always wanted to try a knolly, saw the bible reviews and i figured that was it. Ken at Knolly has been super helpful.

mtbr member
    The Warden, Warden LT and Delirium will ride exactly the same with the same shock setup.

So setup the shock to use 160mm nicely and that's what you've got. Forget the last extra bit exists. But it's there if you ever need it.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah 205x65 is like the Delirium and I'll have one but with a warden size shock!

I would like to have an air shock so I would take 168mm even if I don't need it but I could have 18mm of sag (as 30% with 160mm) so it pedals A1 but when doing bike park I could change it a bit, or not, but have 168mm of travel in case of, like Dougal said.

The problem is I would like to try a coil... I had a 2018 warden with Fox X2 that I liked but wouldn't bother having something else. I was thinking about the Storia but everything's closed in Italy right now. I would try the Super Deluxe Ultimate (once tuned it seems to be an awesome shock?!) but Knolly will only have them for the 168mm. I could change the stroke at the first service but... I can't do like air and just put a firmer spring rate, right? Firmer spring would have less sag but will it be as plush? Air is so simple..... lol

The new X-Fusion blue and grey/raw shock is so beautiful and cheap but no review and I can't even buy it in Canada so forget it, will be a nightmare for service/warranty!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey guys as I can't have a Storia right now and not sure about a 205x62.5 (168mm) Super Deluxe Ultimate coil with Knolly, I was thinking about maybe buying a Super Deluxe RC3 AIR from someone I know. Good price so I could at least try air and try a Storia or whatever later in the season if not totally satisfied.

205x65 so I would put 18mm of sag (same as 30% with 230x60 aka warden) and when wanted, for DH, I could put it back to 19.5/20mm to have at least 30% of the 65mm stroke (aka Delirium). I want to know if his shock could fit well without a tune (if I'm satisfied with air, I would do it at the first service) for the 2020 warden.... LLS380 so low rebound and compression.

By the way I'm about 185lbs so maybe 200-210 with camelback, helmet, etc.? I think I saw somewhere that it was L L and M L for coil or something like that but can't remember where lol
    Last edited by HH4L; 03-26-2020 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by HH4L View Post
    Hey guys as I can't have a Storia right now and not sure about a 205x62.5 (168mm) Super Deluxe Ultimate coil with Knolly, I was thinking about maybe buying a Super Deluxe RC3 AIR from someone I know. Good price so I could at least try air and try a Storia or whatever later in the season if not totally satisfied.

205x65 so I would put 18mm of sag (same as 30% with 230x60 aka warden) and when wanted, for DH, I could put it back to 19.5/20mm to have at least 30% of the 65mm stroke (aka Delirium). I want to know if his shock could fit well without a tune (if I'm satisfied with air, I would do it at the first service) for the 2020 warden.... LLS380 so low rebound and compression.

By the way I'm about 185lbs so maybe 200-210 with camelback, helmet, etc.? I think I saw somewhere that it was L L and M L for coil or something like that but can't remember where lol
    i was told by Ken A knolly what it was exactly but cant find it right now! maybe contact him via email, great guy and super helpful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kenwood72 View Post
    i was told by Ken A knolly what it was exactly but cant find it right now! maybe contact him via email, great guy and super helpful.
    I thought I could have a faster answer here so I wouln't miss that good deal but thanks... I did write back to them as I had another question anyway!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    By the way it is Low compression and Medium Rebound if somebody wants to know.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm looking forward to seeing more builds show up here soon - and some more reviews!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Here you go

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing more builds show up here soon - and some more reviews!
    First off thanks to Ken at Knolly, he fielded all my calls and got me my bike pretty quick even with all that is going on! Got it Wednesday, built it up and rode on some private land yesterday. Not my local trails but once of the areas we can ride right now. These arent really steep, extended or tech trails and they are very tight and dark and I was really taking it easy but so far all i can say is wow, it really is a great bike for me. My build is all Eagle XO1, code rsc brakes, with a Lyric Ultimate, custom i9s cuz I wanted DT rims and 32 holes, King headset (too expensive) Descendant carbon bars, and reverb. I have been without a mountain bike for about a month as I sold two bikes really quick when I bought this one so I was struggling with fitness as my road biking just wasnt giving me all i needed anyhow great bike, love how well thought out all the details are and I lool forward to being able to get back on my home trails so I can really compare it to all of the other bikes I have ridden over the past couple years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_0087.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-file.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    second ride today, 13 miles, 3700 climbing/walking as part of the trail was covered in snow so we have to go up the steep sections and that was tough anyhow this trail is steeper in parts and faster/wide open. More open trails thank goodness and even though I am holding back I was able to get a good feel for the bike.

I sold a Firebird 29 and Evil Calling, this bikes is faster than the calling but I think the only thing the FB had was all out speed since it is a 29er. This bike is super confidence inspiring and I was really really holding back today but wow in the steeps it is really good, this trail has some steep sections with really good loamy corners after them and this is by far the best bike i have ridden on those parts, in the faster wide open stuff I could have gone faster no doubt and the bike really corners so well. i read the bike was balanced and I have to agree it is good-great at everything so far, havent had it on longer rocky sections yet but couple shorter ones were soaked up well, i also think the lyric ultimate plays a part as I will never get another fox

anyhow great so far, just feels like a tank, but that is a good tank, my firebird always felts skiddish like it was getting knocked around, not the case here. anyhow i am done reviewing but wanted to give some feedback in case anyone is listening and thinking about buying one, as a reference in case anyone wants to compare I have owned 3 evels, calling, insurgent, wreckoning, sc nomad 4, norco range 29 carbon, and the firebird in the last couple years and next to the wreckoning this is the best bike for my riding style and I climb alot, 300000 feet last year, not to brag just adding context as I ride my bikes and climb them a lot
    Last edited by kenwood72; 04-12-2020 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Looking good. Glad youíre enjoying the new Warden. Love the red fork with the red link. Very classy.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

red link....nope

Looking good. Glad youíre enjoying the new Warden. Love the red fork with the red link. Very classy.

funny you say that as by all pics i saw i thought the link was red too, it is very orange!! look close and you can tell, it isn't a big deal but I was surprised when I saw it in person, not fox organge either i don't believe, a very vibrant orange.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    feedback in case anyone is listening and thinking about buying one, as a reference in case anyone wants to compare I have owned... not to brag just adding context as I ride my bikes and climb them a lot
    Hey kenwood72, thanks for taking the time to get some additional data points up! Yeah, your list of past whips is impressive but really does serve to provide some perspective as to your point of view - I appreciate that despite having not thrown a leg over any of those specific bikes.

Bike sounds like a ripper...I might just have to pull the trigger here! Really love my Fugitive LT but know that I could lengthen its life if I were to have a slightly longer travel bike too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey kenwood72, thanks for taking the time to get some additional data points up! Yeah, your list of past whips is impressive but really does serve to provide some perspective as to your point of view - I appreciate that despite having not thrown a leg over any of those specific bikes.

Bike sounds like a ripper...I might just have to pull the trigger here! Really love my Fugitive LT but know that I could lengthen its life if I were to have a slightly longer travel bike too!
    thanks man i was truly just trying to give some real world feedback and not sound like a douche

my fork, though new must have just missed the new airpsring so i ordered a 160 and will try the bike with that and give some feedback once I make the change. so far riding in slack with a 170 fork.

mtbr member
    funny you say that as by all pics i saw i thought the link was red too, it is very orange!! look close and you can tell, it isn't a big deal but I was surprised when I saw it in person, not fox organge either i don't believe, a very vibrant orange.
    Ha. Sure enough. That does look more orange when I looked a little closer. Still cool.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thanks man i was truly just trying to give some real world feedback and not sound like a douche

my fork, though new must have just missed the new airpsring so i ordered a 160 and will try the bike with that and give some feedback once I make the change. so far riding in slack with a 170 fork.
    ok had to show one more, another trail on provate land and a local builders masterpiece. you can always tell his trails cuz they have tons of fast turns and jumps into berms and use the steeps really well, if you link it all up you know you are a good rider, which i cant do yet

anyhow this trail is lower and gets less snow so we ride it when we cant access our higher up trails or the weather is bad or when the world is locking down forests.....anyhow it is a great trail, it is short though so we lap it a few times. anyhow i have ridden this trail a lot and my first ride on the knolly i beat my best times by almost 40 seconds......Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-file.jpg

mtbr member
    Sizing question. Iím typically a large in most manufacturers at 5í10.5Ē and. +1Ē ape index. I also tend to favor seated climbing so I look at effective top tube length as equally as reach numbers. The large Warden has a 660.5mm top tube which is huge compared to my current V4 Ripley at 635. Reach is also huge (500 vs 475). Judging by the numbers I should get a medium but in reading reviews it sounds like I should be on a large. Any insight or suggestions? Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Iím the same height as you... was on a Large Fugitjve LT last year and will be on a medium Warden this year. The large fugitive numbers felt just right. In this day and age of progressive geometry, ignore sizes monikers like Large and Medium. Bikes these days should really just be called size 1, Size 2, etc... and get the size with the numbers that makes sense to you. Read somewhere along the line that Knolly saw a number of their usually medium riders going to larges last year, looking for that progressive geometry. And adjusted the warden v2 accordingly (providing appropriate progressive geometry at all sizes).

I for one am excited to get pretty progressive geometry in a medium sized bike (lower seat tube, head tube, etc.), should still be nice and low and long yet maneuverable.... especially with 26.5 (vs 29).

For what itís worth, the Medium Warden has basically the same reach and top tube numbers as the Large Fugitive LT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am 5'11.5" with shorter legs compared to torso and with a 40mm stem feel perfect on the larger warden. Just got it but have put a decent amount of miles in, today 17.2 and about 4700 feet of climbing and it was perfectly comfortable all morning. Cant say enough good things about this bike, my climb was 99% fireroad but never need the lockout and when I need it the traction is unreal.

mtbr member
    Did anyone catch the live Q&A on the Warden with Noel and Cavan on Instagram this morning?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Did anyone catch the live Q&A on the Warden with Noel and Cavan on Instagram this morning?
    Yes, it's definitely worth watching (not sure how long it will be up for). I could listen to Noel talk about bike design all day long. Particularly interesting were his comments on sizing. He says with the new-school geometry / short seat tubes/ low standover you should pick your size based on relative torso length. Shorter legs/Longer torso = size up, longer legs/shorter torso = size down and use a longer dropper post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Also, it sounds like the new Warden is a real winner. You can even turn it into a Delerium with a longer-stroke shock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Also, it sounds like the new Warden is a real winner. You can even turn it into a Delerium with a longer-stroke shock.
    Or just take the spacer out of the current shock. 60mm shocks are 65mm shocks with a 5mm spacer inside. Same deal with 62.5mm.
    www.dougal.co.nz

Keep on Rockin...
    Yes, it's definitely worth watching (not sure how long it will be up for). I could listen to Noel talk about bike design all day long. Particularly interesting were his comments on sizing. He says with the new-school geometry / short seat tubes/ low standover you should pick your size based on relative torso length. Shorter legs/Longer torso = size up, longer legs/shorter torso = size down and use a longer dropper post.
    How does one access that live QnA? Link?

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    How does one access that live QnA? Link?
    You can access it through Instagram. Tap their profile photo and choose ďwatch live videoĒ.

I was stoked to read about a new Endo in 2021-2022 but wish it would happen sooner. theyíve been saying 1-2 years for a while now.

mtbr member
    I watched it, but it seems to cut off just as he starts talking about coil shocks (and before he gets into the whisky!). Also glad to hear they still feel there's a market for a shorter travel 27.5" bike, it was interesting to listen to and hopefully not the last time they do it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    You can access it through Instagram. Tap their profile photo and choose ďwatch live videoĒ.

I was stoked to read about a new Endo in 2021-2022 but wish it would happen sooner. theyíve been saying 1-2 years for a while now.
    True, but the current Endo is so damn good. I am very interested in the new Warden - only downside (for me) is the switch to superboost which means I cant transfer my wheelset. First world problems during a global crisis........

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Has anyone tried the Warden in the steep setting with a 29 fork and 29 front wheel with the 27.5 in the rear?
    Last edited by RaggedEdge; 04-25-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    True, but the current Endo is so damn good. I am very interested in the new Warden - only downside (for me) is the switch to superboost which means I cant transfer my wheelset. First world problems during a global crisis........

Same issue here but it's only a rear hub change. Besides, the 15+ year old King hub I'm running on my Endo, that I bought used, has given me my money's worth. I quite like the idea of a new 157 King out back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    is it just me or is 48.00 plus 9 for shipping a crazy high cost for a derailleur hanger? I need one but cant beleive it will be 60 total. I love this bike but never rememeber paying more than 20-25 before for any bike. knolly why???

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Or just take the spacer out of the current shock. 60mm shocks are 65mm shocks with a 5mm spacer inside. Same deal with 62.5mm.
    i was kinda confused by this orignally but now that i get it you can add travel and not change geomoetry. the shocks sits the same but doesnt bottom out on the travel reducer. i have been ridng my warden with the stroke open to 65 and all i get is more travel and i have a 170 fork feels really good. I have been using my RS air that came with it, a CCDB coil cs, and an 11-6. My buddy has a patrol so he has them for me to try, that said I ended up buying the ccdb, push seemed really over rated and for 600 more it just isnt worth it. also i love the way cane creek does their climb switch as it really does feel better, on the downs the two were so close the cane creek is the easy choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    is it just me or is 48.00 plus 9 for shipping a crazy high cost for a derailleur hanger? I need one but cant beleive it will be 60 total. I love this bike but never rememeber paying more than 20-25 before for any bike. knolly why???
    Which frame do you need it for? I have one I don't need, but I think it's for the alloy frames

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Which frame do you need it for? I have one I don't need, but I think it's for the alloy frames
    2020 warden alloy, don't know if they are all the same but if so i am interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    2020 warden alloy, don't know if they are all the same but if so i am interested.
    I will take a look at it this evening and let you know

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Pretty typical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sorry, it's for the pre-2020 alloy bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    They're not the same...I've got one on my 2018 warden + 1 new spare and I needed to buy another one for the 2020! Yeah they're not cheap... It is beefier than my Norco fatbike derailleur hanger but at the same time, it is not suppposed to be tough because then your derailleur will broke if shit happens...

BC
    mtbr member
    Funny, I used to have spare hangars for all my bikes until i got my first knolly in 08'. I've had the gen 1 endorphin, chilcotin, and warden. I've never needed a spare. Honestly i would rather break a derailleur (and I have). There way easier to get if your out of town etc. It depends on the design though. I love that knollys hangars are beefy.
    I have a Pivot Phoenix for downhill, and it has the crapiest spindly hangar ever. I machined some spares but I'm stuck with the geometry of the design, and aluminum ain't working. The next ones I make for that bike will be made from steel.

mtbr member
    I want to buy a Warden if someone want my Fugitive... lol

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post
    Funny, I used to have spare hangars for all my bikes until i got my first knolly in 08'. I've had the gen 1 endorphin, chilcotin, and warden. I've never needed a spare. Honestly i would rather break a derailleur (and I have). There way easier to get if your out of town etc. It depends on the design though. I love that knollys hangars are beefy.
    I have a Pivot Phoenix for downhill, and it has the crapiest spindly hangar ever. I machined some spares but I'm stuck with the geometry of the design, and aluminum ain't working. The next ones I make for that bike will be made from steel.
    Can't say I disagree. Spare GX or XT level derailures bought on sale are always good to have in the tool box. You'll always end up needing them, unlike that spare derailure hanger you bought then never ended up using.

Broke a der hanger off my Endo and it shut my riding down for some time. If it was the RD only, I'd have been back in the game the same day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    I want to buy a Warden if someone want my Fugitive... lol
    Man, IDK that I could give up the Fugitive LT, but definitely considering adding the Warden LT to the fleet!

mtbr member
    Man, IDK that I could give up the Fugitive LT, but definitely considering adding the Warden LT to the fleet!
    High dollar fella like yourself can afford more than one bike. Lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post
    I totally agree. I've never bent a hanger on the 4 Knollys I have owned, bit have detonated a few derailleurs. I would rather replace the derailleur.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Same here. The new Warden sounds amazing, but I am having too much fun on my Fugitive right now.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    High dollar fella like yourself can afford more than one bike. Lol
    LOL! Kids need to motivation to get scholarships, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Mmmm I must say I really disagree with you guys... Why change a 80-300$ derailleur when you can change a 15-60$ derailleur hanger?! Everybody knows that you have to carry one with you all the time... You really prefer to stop your ride, go look for a bike shop and hope they have a good derailleur for you, pay good money THAN having a derailleur hanger with you!?

You don't have to find one in a shop but have one with you already, that's it! lol

Keep on Rockin...
    Mmmm I must say I really disagree with you guys... Why change a 80-300$ derailleur when you can change a 15-60$ derailleur hanger?! Everybody knows that you have to carry one with you all the time... You really prefer to stop your ride, go look for a bike shop and hope they have a good derailleur for you, pay good money THAN having a derailleur hanger with you!?

You don't have to find one in a shop but have one with you already, that's it! lol
    I've carried spare der hangers around for years, never to use them. So to pay that kind of cash for a hanger when I probably won't use it it harsh. That said, the last time I broke my hanger on my Endo, if I had a spare, it would have saved me a 5 mile hike a bike. The cost to have a spare then would have been worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

It's not just about breaking the hanger. It's easy to tweak a flimsy hanger so that your shifting doesn't work that well anymore (yes I know what a derailleur alignment tool is).
    I much prefer the robust hanger design that Knolly uses. I have never bent one. The few times I have wrecked a derailleur a flimsy hanger probably wouldn't have saved it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Everyone seems to be forgetting that a derailleur hanger isn't just there to save a derailleur... it's also meant to save your frame. A good smash that destroys a derailleur without a hanger in place could easily have enough leverage to **** up your frame. A hanger is the sacrificial part that is engineered to die before your frame does.

Different manufacturers look at the hanger in different ways, some build them to save the derailleur which also easily saves the frame... but then some say this makes the hanger too fragile. Others use it to save the frame, which may or may not save the derailleur... and of course, some people don't like this because you can end up with a busted derailleur and an intact hanger... or a busted derailleur and a busted hanger.

Just based on the burly nature of the Knolly hanger, I believe it's built to save the frame vs the derailleur. I bent a derailleur last year on my Fugitive LT while the hanger survived...

Either way, I always keep a spare for my bikes and just go ride my bike.

Keep on Rockin...
    To change direction...

What I'd really like to know is if someone who rides, or has ridden, and Endo can compare it to the Warden with regards to climbing.

For example, I've got maybe a half dozen climbs on my usual routes that, with perfect conditions, I can make the climb on the Endo say 50% of the time. These are the climbs that will tease out a bike's weaknesses. Of course the Warden will descend (and I can use just a bit more bike than the Endo with increasing frequency). But with the Warden's steeper STA and possibly different (new and improved) "kinematics", or more AS, or whatever you'd call it, maybe, just maybe, it could climb as well as an Endo. No, I'm not talking about "does it bob when climbing up the dirt road". I'm talking about the steep, rooty, ledgy, off camber, twisty, heart pounding technical climbs.

This bike is being billed as a go anywhere, do anything bike... a good all mountain bike.

I'd sure like to demo one.

mtbr member

To change direction...

What I'd really like to know is if someone who rides, or has ridden, and Endo can compare it to the Warden with regards to climbing.

For example, I've got maybe a half dozen climbs on my usual routes that, with perfect conditions, I can make the climb on the Endo say 50% of the time. These are the climbs that will tease out a bike's weaknesses. Of course the Warden will descend (and I can use just a bit more bike than the Endo with increasing frequency). But with the Warden's steeper STA and possibly different (new and improved) "kinematics", or more AS, or whatever you'd call it, maybe, just maybe, it could climb as well as an Endo. No, I'm not talking about "does it bob when climbing up the dirt road". I'm talking about the steep, rooty, ledgy, off camber, twisty, heart pounding technical climbs.

This bike is being billed as a go anywhere, do anything bike... a good all mountain bike.

I'd sure like to demo one.
    This is an interesting question and one I've been thinking about. I feel like my new Fugitive LT has better pedaling kinematics (more anti-squat) for standing efforts and long seated, smoother climbs than my Endorphin. Maybe it's partially due to shock set up, but I feel like the Endo tracks the ground better and stays glued a little better when trying to claw my way up steep, loose, ledgy, tech climbs. So the Fugitive LT seems to have more anti-squat, more responsive and better acceleration when laying down the power, but maybe gives up a little bit of the famed Knolly climbing traction in the tech?

Edit: Iíve been climbing the loose ledgy stuff with the shock full open lately and have found that magical Knolly climbing clawing traction again.

Not sure if this observation applies to the new Warden but from what I've read, it also has improved acceleration/increased anti-squat compared to the old, so maybe there's some correlation.

Again, I'm comparing Endo to Fugitive LT and my seat of the pants impression may be skewed by less-than-perfect shock set up. (FWIW: Endo CCDB Inline air; FugLT SuperDeluxe Ultimate air).
    Last edited by KRob; 05-10-2020 at 12:20 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandForLife View Post
    Everyone seems to be forgetting that a derailleur hanger isn't just there to save a derailleur... it's also meant to save your frame. A good smash that destroys a derailleur without a hanger in place could easily have enough leverage to **** up your frame. A hanger is the sacrificial part that is engineered to die before your frame does.

Different manufacturers look at the hanger in different ways, some build them to save the derailleur which also easily saves the frame... but then some say this makes the hanger too fragile. Others use it to save the frame, which may or may not save the derailleur... and of course, some people don't like this because you can end up with a busted derailleur and an intact hanger... or a busted derailleur and a busted hanger.

Just based on the burly nature of the Knolly hanger, I believe it's built to save the frame vs the derailleur. I bent a derailleur last year on my Fugitive LT while the hanger survived...

Either way, I always keep a spare for my bikes and just go ride my bike.
    Hey All:

Interesting discussion on derailleur hangers. FWIW, a close friend of mine purchased two bikes for his kids last month: both abut $700-800 retail. This past weekend, both kids (8 and 11) ripped off their derailleur hangers and sucked their rear derailleurs into the wheel, trashing both the hanger and the derailleur. I felt like the industry that I work in, is a scam. These are so poorly made for such a critical part of a bike frame.

Now, these are $20 stamped hangers and $40 retail derailleurs. However, regardless of cost, the kids couldn't ride and the philosophy of this has always bugged me.

When we started making bikes, every frame had it's own hanger design and those of you who had original V-tachs or Delirium Ts or Endorphins know that the hanger was about 1/4 - 3/8" of 7075 aluminum. They almost NEVER bent. In fact, they were quite well known for destroying lots of derailleurs. But until that point, the rear derailleur stayed perfectly aligned which is a lot more than I can say for 99% of the stamped or even crappy "one bolt" machined clamped hangers that continue to be found on bikes costing a lot more than $700-800.

So, when we brought out the Chilcotin in 2011, a completely new hanger philosophy was developed. The idea was that the hanger would be RIGID all of the time, until it was broken. We changed the way that the derailleur clamped and bolted to the frame. Not only that, but the hanger has not two, but [B]three[B] connection points to the frame to keep it from rotating. They are still made out of 7075 aluminum though some of the aftermarket ones like the North Shore Billet version are 6061 and slightly cheaper because of this. Regardless, they are strong and extra strong. And the hanger is designed to stay aligned for 99% of the hits it takes.

However. At a certain point it will break. We don't want customers smashing multi-hundred dollar rear derailleurs because the hanger won't bend. But we also don't want the hanger bending a small amount and the shifting going out of index, or worse the letting the rear derailleur get sucked into the rear wheel. Despite all of the bitching online, modern drivetrains are quite reliable and robust: 2 years ago, I remember sliding off of a skinny plank and about 80KG of my weight fell on to the rear derailleur cage, which was a Shimano XT Di2 rear derailleur. I was thinking: "Oh Sh!t, there goes that expensive, electronic rear derailleur!" but i just shifted the trigger shifter, the clutch reset and it was good to go. Amazing!

So, we've kept the same philosophy for the past decade with hangers: it's that it has to be good enough to stay aligned for about 98-99% of the hits it will take. But if you hit it really really hard (or perhaps just some awkward way) it should snap and you'll need to replace it. It's a high quality approach that perhaps isn't quite obvious at the outset. But when you see the hanger - which at first glance looks really quite simple - if you have any machining background, you'll notice that it's 3D contoured and designed as an "L" profile to strengthen it laterally. This means its machined out of a relatively think chunk of aluminum and hence why it's cost is towards the upper end of CNC derailleur hangers. It's worked so successfully that the only change the hanger has had in 9+ years has been to change the thread pitch from M12 x 1.5 to M12 x 1.0 as we have moved from our own rear axles to using DT-Swiss RWS axles. That's pretty much it.

There, some derailleur hanger history and philosophy
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Keep on Rockin...
    That sort of stuff right there, is one reason people buy a Knolly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    so with our trails now open I wanted to update my reviews as I have spent significant time on the trails I know best and some new off the grid stuff that was built that definitely qualifies as have true double black pnw steeps.

I am riding the bike now with a borrowed 11-6 tuned for a 260lb rider on a transition patrol. not sure how that run translates but I am running the bike at 170 front/175 rear. Since the geometry stays the same regardless of rear travel I just don't understand why to run with less and this seems to be a perfect set up. The bike is simply amazing. I do have a pretty heavy build with dd front and dh casing rear tires but the bike is fast and confidence inspiring in that i just fell like i have so much more control than I have had previously.

on the steeps the bike shines, the new trails I mention are steep enough that if you make a mistake it takes a slide down the trail on your butt that picks up speed pretty fast to finish the section, needless to saw i know too well but I am clearing parts I have never cleared previously and my speeds on the main trails are great but I also just feel like this bike fits me and is so balanced I am 100 percent more comfortable all the way around. The lyric and new air spring does help that but all I can say is Knolly knocked it out of the park, i am climbing 3000-4600 feet each ride and the bike even at 170/175 is a true all around machine!!

anyhow if you are on the fence buy it and ask me anything and I will answer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    also anyone have a leverage curve chart for the bike?? I know someone at knolly must want to use that to try and tune the ccdb coil i have on the way.

mtbr member
    also anyone have a leverage curve chart for the bike?? I know someone at knolly must want to use that to try and tune the ccdb coil i have on the way.
    Hi kenwood72:

Glad you are stoked!

I think you e-mailed us - right? One of our sales staff will contact you, but rest assured that the DB Coil-CS will have no issues with this bike performance wise. You do not need a progressively wound spring if that's your question

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thanks Noel, I tried his ccdb as well and liked it but he uses that one so I had to settle for the 11 6......mine will be delivered next week then it will get a true workout in Moab!!

PS-done reviewing and if anyone is ever in vancouver, WA hit me up and I will show you around.
    Last edited by kenwood72; 05-09-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Yebo Numzaan
    Stoked. My production Warden arrived yday. It is a thing of beauty!!

Ironic that it would arrive the day after a wicked loose and crazy fun ride on the proto Warden. I am going to miss this old girl. What an amazing bike. In 18 months I have absolutely beaten the daylights out of this bike and barely done any maintenance. I replaced the bushings and headset bearings after my second winter but other than that didn't even have to tighten a bolt.

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-3f77752b-d203-4211-95cc-b348b2946b98.jpeg

I randomly took this photo Friday after finishing my ride - almost like a tribute to the bike. That loam in front of the rear wheel - I could have blown off with my breath.

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-97360009-622f-4a35-a5bb-1bb2938f056d.jpeg
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Frame looks great Dave. What are the differences between the production version and the prototype you had?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Wow I didn't think there was so much R&D for a derailleur hanger!! haha

I don't want my 12s XT derailleur to broke but at the same time I've bent twice my Norco Bigfoot hanger and don't even know how so yeah, not really cool if too soft! Seems like Knolly ones are perfect... I also prefer to always have one on me even if I'll maybe never have to use it! I still have a tube in my backpack just in case so..

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Stoked. My production Warden arrived yday. It is a thing of beauty!!

Ironic that it would arrive the day after a wicked loose and crazy fun ride on the proto Warden. I am going to miss this old girl. What an amazing bike. In 18 months I have absolutely beaten the daylights out of this bike and barely done any maintenance. I replaced the bushings and headset bearings after my second winter but other than that didn't even have to tighten a bolt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F77752B-D203-4211-95CC-B348B2946B98.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	1331617

I randomly took this photo Friday after finishing my ride - almost like a tribute to the bike. That loam in front of the rear wheel - I could have blown off with my breath.

Name:	97360009-622F-4A35-A5BB-1BB2938F056D.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	1331623
    Nice! Are you sponsored by Fox? Because it wasn't available before August with Knolly...? That's what I heard! Anyway I wanted to try something else but just weird that you already have one!? :P

Yebo Numzaan
    @HH4L Not sponsored like a pro but I am able to get stuff and I am a huge fan of my Fox suspension. Pretty excited to try out this shock and I also managed to snag a 2021 fork. Very excite.
    I support EMBA

Yebo Numzaan

Beast mode

Warning: This bike is a beast and will devour anything in its path

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-2020-05-10-14.23.33-medium-.jpg
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    @HH4L Not sponsored like a pro but I am able to get stuff and I am a huge fan of my Fox suspension. Pretty excited to try out this shock and I also managed to snag a 2021 fork. Very excite.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Picked up my frame Last Friday.
    I have been busy, so I did not have time to take any shots.
    I am still trying to get parts to put it together.
    It does looks amazing!
    Should be interesting..........

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_2703.jpg
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT
    20' Knolly Warden

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Finished building my new Warden last night and took it for a spin, sooo goood!!

Just out of curiosity, anyone running the megneg kit? Or is this frame not a good canidate for that?

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-61118801290__23ef1cdd-3c13-4da9-9668-811ba1a22522-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Picked up my frame Last Friday.
    I have been busy, so I did not have time to take any shots.
    I am still trying to get parts to put it together.
    It does looks amazing!
    Should be interesting..........

Name:	IMG_2703.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	307.9 KB 
ID:	1333129
    i had an rfx with a shiver! i think the knolly wins!!!

Yebo Numzaan
    Magic first ride on the new bike today. Mostly trail work cleaning up the mess from a massive mud slide that blocked out access to a favorite trail. This did give us opportunities to create some new features through the carnage. Felt right at home.

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-d6ed5905-74ae-44c2-93d5-ffdf45cfdca1.jpeg
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Magic first ride on the new bike today. Mostly trail work cleaning up the mess from a massive mud slide that blocked out access to a favorite trail. This did give us opportunities to create some new features through the carnage. Felt right at home.

Name:	D6ED5905-74AE-44C2-93D5-FFDF45CFDCA1.jpeg 
Views:	80 
Size:	436.7 KB 
ID:	1333423
    Such a dope shot (and feature!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyhal View Post
    Finished building my new Warden last night and took it for a spin, sooo goood!!

Just out of curiosity, anyone running the megneg kit? Or is this frame not a good canidate for that?

Name:	61118801290__23EF1CDD-3C13-4DA9-9668-811BA1A22522 (2).jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	1333187
    Haha I was asking myself the same question! I wanted the coil shock but I decided to try the air version as I would like to try not to hit the 35-36 mark. Steve from Vorsprung told me the 2020 super deluxe is a good shock (not a lot of return) and it makes some magic with the megneg for some people. If you're going through the travel quite easily then it should make a good candidate! I hope so because with the megneg it could be somewhere between an air and a coil shock but with the pros of an air shock!

Already adding a pound in my Lyrik with the smashpot coil kit! :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Delirium frame arriving Friday. Man I cannot wait.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using tiny.cc/Mtbr_android_app

Yebo Numzaan
    I finished bldg this sweet log ride (Sunday) for my second ride on the V2 (Monday). It's an over / under option

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-7674aea4-1109-4a49-bee6-0d672dbe11a4.jpeg
    I support EMBA

BC
    mtbr member
    I finished bldg this sweet log ride (Sunday) for my second ride on the V2 (Monday). It's an over / under option

Name:	7674AEA4-1109-4A49-BEE6-0D672DBE11A4.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	1334451
    Nice! Now that's a log !!

Yebo Numzaan
    Three rides in on the new Warden V2 and this was the first ride that i was able to let loose on familiar trails (without a tool on my back!). The bike felt great and so familiar. Slightly longer (12mm?) than the proto...which had me thinking i might drop to a 35mm stem...but nope.

2021 rear shock is awesome - i put all the settings in the middle and same air pressure as the 2019 model i had previously. I have it at 165psi (I am 180lb dressed for my birthday).

Waiting for a 2021 fork now but that's the only other thing that will upgrade until my seat falls apart.

I was boxing up the old frame and weighed my new bike - was pleasantly surprised to see it in the 32 range (bathroom scale).

Amazed that it pedals so well in the open setting. On a super steep / loose road climb...I am 100% convinced the open mode is better and on all gravel in general.. i dont flip to firm. I have a 2 mile commute to ride on pavement and its the only time i think about it.

She got a good ol PNW welcome to some of my favorite trails!!

Who else is riding their V2 and super stoked?

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-2020-05-20-18.24.25-1-medium-.jpg
    I support EMBA

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Getting excited....!

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-screen-shot-2020-05-21-9.51.03-am.jpg

Yebo Numzaan
    #bettercallzeb
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Who else is riding their V2 and super stoked?

Name:	2020-05-20 18.24.25-1 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	367.6 KB 
ID:	1334835
    Broh my Delirium arrives tom, cant wait to build her up. But Im setting the rig up for park and shuttle days, Ill post up pics when Im done, cant wait to see the 'crows" colorway irl...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know its not a Warden-Warden, but man this bike is AWESOME. Im just gonna say it, for dudes who say 'yeah my "enduro" bike rides like a dh bike broh', YEAH NAH, IT DOESNT. New Delirium aint too bad. #DeliriumDH

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-99287063_288127768893064_3717073403304214528_n.jpg

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-98182635_186900122523581_1354675798040117248_n.jpg

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-100531235_178136346884725_5778942474600841216_n.jpg Shlt video grab

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by boylagz View Post
    I know its not a Warden-Warden, but man this bike is AWESOME. Im just gonna say it, for dudes who say 'yeah my "enduro" bike rides like a dh bike broh', YEAH NAH, IT DOESNT. New Delirium aint too bad. #DeliriumDH
    Mannn that frame is pure sex!!! I should have mine this week!!! Took this one instead of raw warden + new black link... this one is nicer + already black link so what's not to like!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^ The Steel Creek Murder motif is pretty incredible in person. Frame looks really good. My inner downhiller boi is beyond psyched, lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got my Warden frame a couple of weeks ago. Gonna be a slow build as I gather parts as budget allows. Unless I sell the Endo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_4845.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hey does anybody know if there is clearance for a 32t OVAL chainring on Warden v2 frame, or would i need to go down to the 30t? I'm going to be running the Shimano XT 8130 cranks.

mtbr member
    Zero concerns with the 32T Oval chainring and Shimano 8130 crankset.

There is tons of chainring clearance on this frame

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Zero concerns with the 32T Oval chainring and Shimano 8130 crankset.

There is tons of chainring clearance on this frame

Cheers,
    Thank you kind sir!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^ You could always play with spacers to eek out few mm's to fit your chainring. Im running a 34t on my Delirium. Im using the new 12sp XT cranks, lots of ways to make your chainline primo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by boylagz View Post
    ^ You could always play with spacers to eek out few mm's to fit your chainring. Im running a 34t on my Delirium. Im using the new 12sp XT cranks, lots of ways to make your chainline primo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Talk me out of the Delirium.
    I've had a Chilcotin since new and liked it so much I'm ready for another one. I'd probably get the Warden LT, if it wasn't for my kid. Hes definitely leaning in to DH and Park riding. This is my dilemma, I'm more a tech trail rider, but quality time with him is pushing into freeride trails. The Delirium would definitely go that way, but can it be pedal? For reference, I've never had a bike under 32#, so weight doesn't scare me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    They are all the same frame. Only difference is the name printed on the side. Warden, LT, and Delerium just have different parts bolted on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I've had a Chilcotin since new and liked it so much I'm ready for another one. I'd probably get the Warden LT, if it wasn't for my kid. Hes definitely leaning in to DH and Park riding. This is my dilemma, I'm more a tech trail rider, but quality time with him is pushing into freeride trails. The Delirium would definitely go that way, but can it be pedal? For reference, I've never had a bike under 32#, so weight doesn't scare me.
    Do you want an air or coil shock? I wanted coil but finally went with air to try and if I don't like it, I'll switch at the end of the season. I took a Delirium but with warden LT shock stroke. I wanted 160mm but with air I can put more or less sag so I took 168mm in case I go to a bike park for a complete day, otherwise I'll put a bit more air so it will pedal like the 160mm warden. With air you could take the bigger 65mm stroke shock so you'll have 175mm for freeride trail and just put more air when you go on easier trails!?

The 2020 warden/delirium frames are 0.75 lbs heavier than v1 warden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Read my posts above, I am riding at 170/175 and have ridden lots of different trails- no need for less travel. I have climbed almost 90000 feet on this bike so far and it just does everything well. Get a coil at 205x65 and if you need to you can put a spacer under the bottom out bumper to lower the travel you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm starting to ask myself some serious questions after the third ''problem'' I've had with my frame....

I can't install the OneUp chainguide I had on my 2018 warden... Is there a new standard I am not aware of!? I think there's at least one guy with a OneUp here but don't know if he has the ISCG05 version or not!?

Also is it normal that the raw finish look like this, like a half done job?

I have at least 159mm instead of 157 but don't think this is a problem...I can still adjust my caliper so be parallel to the rotor but my frame is at 1 to 1.5mm of my Hope rotor (I did file 1mm off my adapter but really talking about the frame)! I know they are a bit thicker than Shimano or Sram but I had those on my 2018 warden and it was not that tight.... Still, I was just so happy to have my beautiful frame that I was okay with those two little things but please, tell me that it is normal that my chainguide is not fitting on my new frame otherwise I'll start to think they just tried to refurbish a prototype for me!! It was a warranty case but still paid half the value of frame+shock to have the 2020 instead of a 2019 so I was expecting an A1 frame like everybody else.. Shouldn't I!?

Sorry, I edited my post and after saving it, the pictures were there a second time and don't know why. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200607_005253.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200607_005106.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200604_224204.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200606_104302.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200605_192539.jpg  

Last edited by HH4L; 06-07-2020 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm starting to ask myself some serious questions after the third ''problem'' I've had with my frame....

I can't install the OneUp chainguide I had on my 2018 warden... Is there a new standard I am not aware of or I received a ''brand new'' prototype!? I think there's at least one guy with a OneUp here but don't know if he has the ISCG05 version or not!?

Also is it normal that the raw finish look like this, like a half done job?

I have at least 159mm instead of 157 but don't think this is a problem...I can still adjust my caliper so be parallel to the rotor but my frame is at 1 to 1.5mm of my Hope rotor (I did file 1mm off my adapter but really talking about the frame)! I know they are a bit thicker than Shimano or Sram but I had those on my 2018 warden and it was not that tight.... Still, I was just so happy to have my beautiful frame that I was okay with those two little things but please, tell me that it is normal that my chainguide is not fitting on my new frame otherwise I'll start to think they just tried to refurbish a prototype for me!! It was a warranty case but still paid half the value of frame+shock to have the 2020 instead of a 2019 so I was expecting an A1 frame like everybody else.. Shouldn't I!?

Sorry, I edited my post and after saving it, the pictures were there a second time and don't know why. lol
    i have none of those issues and use a 1-up chain guide. i actually noted to myself how well the rear wheels lines up in the drop out becasue my old firebird 29 always needed some twisting to get the axle in. I am sure knolly will reply.

as for the finish that is how it is raw, if you wanted something more perfect should have got a painted version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for your OneUp info!

For the second part well...I know Knolly don't have a perfect finish like Commencal or whatever, more like a rough look and that's okay with me but thought that it would be the same finish everywhere, not like it was buffed at 75%. Anyway I didn't even talk about that to anyone, it was not that important but now with everything else, I had to.. Knowing that, maybe I would have chosen the black one but since I had blue component...just for that I would still take the raw finish.

I could try riding without the chainguide but I had to talk about that to Knolly because if it is really a new frame, something's wrong with the quality control!
    Last edited by HH4L; 06-08-2020 at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member

For the second part well...I know Knolly don't have a perfect finish like Commencal or whatever, more like a rough look and that's okay with me but thought that it would be the same finish everywhere, not like it was buffed at 75%. Anyway I didn't even talk about that to anyone, it was not that important but now with everything else, I had to.. Knowing that maybe I would have chosen the black one but since I had blue component...just for that I would still take the raw finish.

I could try riding without the chainguide but I had to talk about that to Knolly because if it is really a new frame, something's wrong with the quality control!
    Hey HH4l:

What's up with your frame?

A few notes after reading your comments:
    • Dropout spacing is always slightly wider than the standard states, It's a "-0.00 / + something" tolerance. Otherwise, it will be difficult to get your wheel installed. 1 - 2mm of extra width is typical.
    • Raw frames are scotch-brited and hence to a certain extent, unfinished. How we process them has not changed in 10 years and they are consistently our strongest selling SKU.
    • Also, the FD mount you're using is think is the incorrect one if you want to install a top guide. I will check on Monday.

If there are concerns, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey HH4l:

• Dropout spacing is always slightly wider than the standard states, It's a "-0.00 / + something" tolerance. Otherwise, it will be difficult to get your wheel installed. 1 - 2mm of extra width is typical.
    • Raw frames are scotch-brited and hence to a certain extent, unfinished. How we process them has not changed in 10 years and they are consistently our strongest selling SKU.
    • Also, the FD mount you're using is think is the incorrect one if you want to install a top guide. I will check on Monday.

Cheers,
    So there's a new standard for chainguide/FD??? Like you can see, I was using this OneUp chainguide on my 2018 warden and just took the same one to put on my 2020... I was looking on their website before making this post and couldn't find a new standard chainguide!?

I emailed Ken last week for the brake mount and dropout but during the week-end, while I was building my bike, I found out about the chainguide so here we are... Thank you for answering, I asked Alain for your email, it will be easier than here!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

For the second part well...I know Knolly don't have a perfect finish like Commencal or whatever, more like a rough look and that's okay with me but thought that it would be the same finish everywhere, not like it was buffed at 75%. Anyway I didn't even talk about that to anyone, it was not that important but now with everything else, I had to.. Knowing that maybe I would have chosen the black one but since I had blue component...just for that I would still take the raw finish.
    I have a raw Guerilla Gravity that I let build up a good patina for months and it looks good like this in my opinion, but every once in a while I go over the easy to reach parts of the frame with a ScotchBrite pad and some Barkeepers Friend and it pretty much glows afterward. Check with Knolly if this is ok to do with their frame beforehand of course.

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20190810_084452.jpg

mtbr member
    Darn it seems all of the mediums Warden V2s are sold out! This means there should be way more builds and reviews Noel - when's the next frame shipment due?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey HH4l:

Cheers,
    Hey Noel I thought the FD mount I have, came with my OneUp kit! Someone just told me that the holes can be different from bikes to bikes and you are the one giving us the mount.... so the one I have was from the 2018 warden! I didn't receive one with my frame so that's why I took the old kit and thought it would fit! I only had the ICSG 05 mount.

My bad for that one...I'll still email you for little details but I'm happy to know I can start to build her!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by burkawitz206 View Post
    I have a raw Guerilla Gravity that I let build up a good patina for months and it looks good like this in my opinion, but every once in a while I go over the easy to reach parts of the frame with a ScotchBrite pad and some Barkeepers Friend and it pretty much glows afterward. Check with Knolly if this is ok to do with their frame beforehand of course.

Name:	20190810_084452.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	1339893
    Yeah I wanted to email Noel to talk about that ScotchBrite pad to have more details! I tried Mothers polish as some use that here but it was not the same finish, only more shinny but wanted to have that same OEM look.. I'll see with him but probably try that, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Hey Noel I thought the FD mount I have, came with my OneUp kit! Someone just told me that the holes can be different from bikes to bikes and you are the one giving us the mount.... so the one I have was from the 2018 warden! I didn't receive one with my frame so that's why I took the old kit and thought it would fit! I only had the ICSG 05 mount.

My bad for that one...I'll still email you for little details but I'm happy to know I can start to build her!!
    Yes, the gen 1 Warden used a previous generation mount. Newer bikes use a new mount: we have them in stock: please contact Ken if that's who you're dealing with

Cheers!

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Darn it seems all of the mediums Warden V2s are sold out! This means there should be way more builds and reviews Noel - when's the next frame shipment due?
    Hey Dude! Ha ha - that never gets old

Technically correct - Mediums sold through until August.

HOWEVER: I was just going through medium frame allocation for an inbound ocean shipment and there are a couple of frames on it which MAY become available depending upon the customers. I would contact me / my sales team and we can let you know within about a week if there is anything that becomes free. So never say never...

Just FYI for anyone else: we are EXTREMELY thin on Smalls and larges as well with restocking happening in August.

Cheers!

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sharp7 View Post
    Hey does anybody know if there is clearance for a 32t OVAL chainring on Warden v2 frame, or would i need to go down to the 30t? I'm going to be running the Shimano XT 8130 cranks.
    Hey here's a picture with a 30t oval chainring and 8130 crank. A lot of clearance for a 32t and bigger than DHF 2.5 tires! haha

I have a question for you... I'm 99% sure but want to know if the difference between the 8130 and 8120 is only some more spacers? Q-factor has 3mm of difference but we have to add 3mm of spacer so...it should be exactly the same?! I checked to be sure I had receive the good one (8130) but I guess I didn't look for the length damn it (165 but wanted 175)! It was this winter so too late to exchange with the shop... I'll have to sell it. lol

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200609_161257.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-20200609_161311.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Whoa! Check it out... my new Warden is Bike of the Day on VitalMTB today!!

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/I...33/setup,41911

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Haha congrats!! Tomorrow I'll take some pictures before my first ride and wanted to put it on Vital...I was confident that it could be a bike of the day. That would be nice, 2 warden (well mine is a war-rium LT) on the same week!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Haha congrats!! Tomorrow I'll take some pictures before my first ride and wanted to put it on Vital...I was confident that it could be a bike of the day. That would be nice, 2 warden (well mine is a war-rium LT) on the same week!
    ya dude, do it! Knolly takeover of Vital!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Haha

33 lbs is good... but that must be without cushcore!?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Haha

33 lbs is good... but that must be without cushcore!?
    CushCore XC... mixed with EXO+ = perfect. Things that dropped weight for me: Medium Frame, X01 group and the Tairin Wheels... these things are so light, so good, feel awesome, huge engagement, bombproof, and afforable.

And if I remember correctly it's actually more like 33.4 but I don't think the bike check lets you do points, so I rounded down, haha!

EDIT: Just went and re-weighed it... well looks like today it is just a point over 34?? I don't know, I use my bathroom scale, hold my bike and subtract my weight. My scale also isn't the most reliable... so.. who knows... haha. I updated my bike check weight though.

Keep on Rockin...

Right on! Nice lookin' bike - deserves to be the bike of the day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    CushCore XC... mixed with EXO+ = perfect. Things that dropped weight for me: Medium Frame, X01 group and the Tairin Wheels... these things are so light, so good, feel awesome, huge engagement, bombproof, and afforable.

And if I remember correctly it's actually more like 33.4 but I don't think the bike check lets you do points, so I rounded down, haha!

EDIT: Just went and re-weighed it... well looks like today it is just a point over 34?? I don't know, I use my bathroom scale, hold my bike and subtract my weight. My scale also isn't the most reliable... so.. who knows... haha. I updated my bike check weight though.
    Haha I'll do the same to weight mine so not really reliable...probably in the 34 for me too. I wanted cushcore but wasn't so sure...then a guy I know gave me a set of Mr Wolf Banger 2.0 to test and only if I like them, I'll let people know.... It was free but if I don't like them I'll try those cushcore. I also have EXO+, last year I was on rear DD but no insert and alu rims, now on carbon..don't want to go crazy with DD + insert, that's way to much weight for me! lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

I would love to hear what you think of the new Warden after spending some time on it. Very interested in how you think it compares with the Fugitive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I would love to hear what you think of the new Warden after spending some time on it. Very interested in how you think it compares with the Fugitive.
    Only a few shorter rides in right now... still getting used to it and need to ride more trails and more variety before a full comparison. But second ride I already had a PR on one nasty sketchy loose rocky DH section while not trying for one, ha and initially... that's sort of what I've noticed already... feels like a Fugitive that is calmer while blasting through high speed gnar.... I feel like I can go faster, easier. That's really all I feel like I can say right now as I still don't even have my suspension settings fully dialed yet... after today's ride, I think I'm pretty close. Father's Day I'm heading up to Nanaimo (South Benson) with some buddies to ride what are probably some of the best sustained, long, downhill enduro style trails on the west coast of BC. One trail (Uterbraten to Sexy Flanders to Max Power to Hutz) is 4k of arm-pumping awesome-ness. I raced the Nanaimo enduro last year on the same trails with the Fugitive, so I should have a pretty good comparison/impression after that.

mtbr member
    Besides Mutton who is a life long member of the smaller wheel club, though joking, I truly respect.

I am curious how others are getting a long with 27.5 wheels after ridden 29ers, particularly with the longer geometry.

I know I lean more toward smaller wheels (or at least use to), but have accepted the bigger wheels owing to advancing geometries for this wheel size. I haven't ridden 27.5 inch wheels in over 2 years. Though my curiosity remains piqued, as there are not many 27.5 inch wheeled bikes with more modern geometry. This is truly unique. I do remember cornering the first few times with 29ers and the increase in complexity. I have found a few 29ers bikes for which I don't notice the bigger wheels, but many of them I do.

I love to hear more thoughts on this bike and any comparisons.

Hope everyone doing well and having fun on their new steeds!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Well I thought I had chances of being ''bike of the day'' but I think I'll forget that.... I have 32views and normal black Intense and Slash have 2500-3000 views WTF haha

Anyway, here's my bike!

https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/H...52/setup,41951

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Never know... when mine got it, it was similar to yours... not very many views vs the bikes around it with thousands. Think iceman likes unique bikes (vs Treks), and I don't think #'s of views plays into it. Mine has a lot now, but only because it was bike of the day.

Sick bike though!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I wanted to try my shock with 28% of sag but finally put it at like 26% and still use about 80% of travel (168mm) only going at a good speed on technical trails without drops so I would probably bottom out easily on 4-5-6' drops. I wanted to try that MegNeg air can instead of only installing volume spacers, a bit like the Luftkappe I have in my Lyrik with 0 token instead of the 2 I had before.

What do you think? Does any of you have any experience with the MegNeg? I love the feeling so not thinking about going coil on the rear anymore (though it is too soft right now so maybe I'll change my mind once firmer lol).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Never know... when mine got it, it was similar to yours... not very many views vs the bikes around it with thousands. Think iceman likes unique bikes (vs Treks), and I don't think #'s of views plays into it. Mine has a lot now, but only because it was bike of the day.

Sick bike though!!
    Thanks man!

Ok I'm new on Vital and thought ''bike of the day'' was only about the likes (more views = more likes). Not really important anyway, just a nice bonus! haha :P

mtbr member
    I wanted to try my shock with 28% of sag but finally put it at like 26% and still use about 80% of travel (168mm) only going at a good speed on technical trails without drops so I would probably bottom out easily on 4-5-6' drops. I wanted to try that MegNeg air can instead of only installing volume spacers, a bit like the Luftkappe I have in my Lyrik with 0 token instead of the 2 I had before.

What do you think? Does any of you have any experience with the MegNeg? I love the feeling so not thinking about going coil on the rear anymore (though it is too soft right now so maybe I'll change my mind once firmer lol).
    Hi HH4L:

You should use close to 100% of your travel on anything that is equal to your travel or larger. I know it sounds ridiculous, but if you have 170mm of rear travel, literally anything bigger than about 200mm should use most of your travel.

This is because modern suspension is shaft speed sensitive: the suspension is trying to do its best job to keep your wheel on the ground and follow terrain. This happens at both high and low speeds and both big and small hits. You should set your sag correctly and then fine tune your suspension settings from there.

Cheers,

Noel
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi HH4L:

You should use close to 100% of your travel on anything that is equal to your travel or larger. I know it sounds ridiculous, but if you have 170mm of rear travel, literally anything bigger than about 200mm should use most of your travel.

This is because modern suspension is shaft speed sensitive: the suspension is trying to do its best job to keep your wheel on the ground and follow terrain. This happens at both high and low speeds and both big and small hits. You should set your sag correctly and then fine tune your suspension settings from there.

Cheers,

Noel
    Oh good to know! But I wanted to use 28% so it would pedal like a Warden and if going on a DH day or something bigger, would put it at 30% like a Warden LT would. I only put it at 26% so I could ride it right now without bottoming out on easy trails, until I have some volume spacers or the MegNeg can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi HH4L:

Cheers,

Noel
    Huh, I had not heard that before. Am I reading this correct - if you have 150mm of rear travel, and you pedal up and over a 150mm rock/ledge/whatever, you should have used most of your travel? This is not a method I have used to dial in suspension before but I'm always game for something new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi HH4L:

Cheers,

Noel
    Huh, I had not heard that before. Am I reading this correct - if you have 150mm of rear travel, and you pedal up and over a 150mm rock/ledge/whatever, you should have used most of your travel? This is not a method I have used to dial in suspension before but I'm always game for something new.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    Besides Mutton who is a life long member of the smaller wheel club, though joking, I truly respect.

I am curious how others are getting a long with 27.5 wheels after ridden 29ers, particularly with the longer geometry.

I know I lean more toward smaller wheels (or at least use to), but have accepted the bigger wheels owing to advancing geometries for this wheel size. I haven't ridden 27.5 inch wheels in over 2 years. Though my curiosity remains piqued, as there are not many 27.5 inch wheeled bikes with more modern geometry. This is truly unique. I do remember cornering the first few times with 29ers and the increase in complexity. I have found a few 29ers bikes for which I don't notice the bigger wheels, but many of them I do.

I love to hear more thoughts on this bike and any comparisons.

Hope everyone doing well and having fun on their new steeds!

Not sure if this counts but I'm on both 275 and 29 for many years. A 275 Endo and a short/mid-travel, but slack 29.

The 275, even with longer travel, burlier tires, and a much heavier build over all feel much more nimble and precise through the twisties. Its more maneuverable. But some of that may be due to the Endo's not to slack HTA. That burlier, longer travel 275 is also better in the chop/chunk. But it takes more pedal power to keep rolling.

The 29 shines where all 29s shine. Hit a few pedal strokes and the bike just keeps rolling. Takes a lot less energy to cover more ground. Its faster unless you've got a super steep trail pulling you downhill. Its nice on lower angle stuff as it goes really fast for a long time with less horse power. You can just get out of the saddle, hit the pedals once or twice, and pump the trail and just keep going for a long time. It holds its speed through the chatter better.

So, I like the precise nimble feel of the 275 on steeper trails where pedal power is less of an issue. Handling of the 275 just seems tighter. And with more travel you can still hit the chunk with enough speed to be fun. It might just be me but I'm convinced I can feel how a stiffer 275 wheel tracks up front vs a 29. 29s feel just a bit noodly on tight, hard cornering. Maybe my imagination though.

If I were racing a clock a 29er would be better. I'm sure a long travel, burly build 29 would be nice but more of an "all business" bike. I can't see it being fun unless you were racing or had a specific type of trail.

Of course that's all just like my opinion, man. And very dependent on my type of trails and riding style.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Sick bike though!!
    You were right...

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-bike-day_vital.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^ Grats my guy! Knolly really taking over the bikes of the day, haha.

mtbr member
    You were right...

Name:	Bike of the day_Vital.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	550.7 KB 
ID:	1342167
    Sweet build. Love the blue accents on the brakes and pedals. Very sharp. Congrats on BOTD.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You were right...

YES!!! Haha, that's awesome! And I love it when I'm right. Sick bike, definitely deserves Bike of the Day. Great for Knolly as well, these Bikes of the Day get a ton of views.

mtbr member
    You were right...

Congrats!

GORGEOUS Build - absolutely stunning!

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Haha thanks everybody!

Really happy about this bike...not only the look but it climbs and descend so well!! For real, more antisquat + better position make it climb so better than V1! Plusher than V1 too and probably because of that (!?) but it kind of keep it speed more easily... I think it feels a bit like something between a 27.5 and 29'' bike! I tried some 29ers last year and some were fast but when I came back on my V1 knolly I had a big smile in my face... especially in those turns! This bike keeps the fun factor but is still a bit faster both up and down!
    Last edited by HH4L; 08-07-2020 at 05:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I booked my medium raw for August! Stoked!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ok, I just got mine built up and took her on first shred! I'm super pumped so I thought I'd share some of my initial impressions, as well as some pics and build specs.

2020 Small Warden V2 RAW (I opted for the 160/160 over the LT)
    Rockshox SuperDeluxe Ultimate
    2019 Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate RC
    Chris King BB and Head Set
    Shimano XT 1x12 groupset (32t SLX chainring)
    Shimano XT 4 piston brakes
    PNW Components Range Bar / Stem
    PNW Components Ranier Dropper 170mm
    PNW Components Loam Lever
    PNW Components grips
    Ergon saddle
    Wheelset -
    Onyx Vesper Hubs, laced to Ibis S35 rims
    Chromag headset spacers and pedals

Like I said I took her on first ride yesterday. It was one of my "stand by" loops (9 miles, 900ft elevation) that gives me a good 1 - 1-1/2 hr workout, and fun ride. No real tech, mostly fairly smooth single track in the Prescott National Forest. There is one kind of short, really fun semi Janky downhill, after getting most of the climbing out of the way in the first 4 miles or so. I should say I'm coming to this bike from a 2016 Endorphin, so all my impressions and comparisons come from riding that bike previously.

First impression pre-ride. Looks SO SEXY!!! One thing I don't like so much is the red linkage, but it may grow on me. Bike feels somewhat heavier (based on lifting bike on to rack on my truck) than the Endo, maybe 2 or 3 lbs more? I don't know but I don't think I felt it during the ride. My body weight is much more a limiting factor than bike weight to be completely honest. When I rolled the bike out to mount on the truck it is completely SILENT, I think I'm gonna love the Onyx hubs.

First ride impression. She feels soo smooth and QUIET! I immediately felt one with the bike, and I think it fits me well. Feels a bit bigger / longer than the Endo. I think the longer reach is beneficial to me. If I get another Endo in the future, I think I'll try a size Medium, and build it up as a lighter weight bike with a 34 fork and carbon bits. The Onyx hubs are soooo quiet, I can't decide if I like the silence or miss the buzzing bees sound more. Overall feeling is more plush than Endo, not sure if that's due more to longer travel, or the Rockshox suspension vs. Fox and Cane Creek on the Endo.

Climbing impression. I'm actually two rides in now, I got sidetracked from this post while at work yesterday. Climbing feels solid, there is not a noticeable difference in weight while climbing vs the Endo. As I said before, body weight is the only limiting factor while climbing. The pedaling platform feels solid, with no noticeable bob except while standing and hammering the pedals. Traction is excellent. I think I may slow the rebound a click or two though.

Descending impression. I feel at one with the bike, able to flip it around corners with ease and it feels more than capable. I did not ride anything gnarly, or too technical but had a couple of nice fast and a little janky downhill segments. Felt great! Overall I think I'm going to love this bike as much if not more than the Endorphin, and I know it will be even more capable and confidence inspiring when riding stuff like the Dells in Prescott or Highline in Sedona. BTW I'm riding the bike in it's neutral setting, I may switch to slack mode when riding more gnarly downhill oriented terrain.

Thanks again to Ken @ Knolly Bikes for the help with the purchase and set up of this shredding machine!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5069.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5065.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5066.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5067.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5070.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5071.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5072.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_5073.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sorry about all the extra, upside down images, I can't figure out how to remove them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice bike!!

I was happy that the frame I wanted already had the black linkage but you can buy it in black if you really don't like the red one!

I thought about Onyx but didn't want to hear chain slap all the time... but no more noise on the V2, super quiet, so cool !!! But anyway, the Hydra is already too quiet for me with grease so I guess I need noise... it's weird to go down without a sound and prefer when people (or animals) can hear me. lol

I tried my bike on ''slack'' just for a short time at my last ride and will continue to do so... didn't seem bad while climbing but I'll see on my next ride + wanted to see the difference with rear shock. The megneg kit is also B.O. for at least a month so being in slack mode (more progressive) will maybe do the trick for now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have 5 rides on my 2020 Warden LT. I ride it in the slack mode with a 180mm factory grip2. The rear is the float x2.

Coming off 2 months exclusively riding on my Chromag Doctahawk while covid shipping times screwed with my Warden build, I'm finding 64.5 head angle feeling a little steep sitting over the bike and pedalling it around. I was a little worried. It sounds weird to say 64.5 is steep, I get it, but I have really been gelling with the extreme geo on the Hawk at 62.5 which is slacker than my last DH bike - the Canfield Jedi.

That being said, the first ride on the Warden was so natural. The bike is poppy and playful unlike my last aluminum trailbike - a 2017 Canfield Balance at 170 front travel. The bike wants to move around the trail. It's not a plow even at 180 front. It climbs as well as the Balance suspension efficiency wise but better because of the seat angle. I am having knee pain the day after rides fro the last 2 weeks since going to these super steep seat angle bikes. It's something I need to figure out.

I'm not a strava queen, but I did do a little strava testing on these new builds. I have some ok descending (as that's all I really care about LOL) times and the Knolly was with a second or 2 of those times on my very first ride. That says something. The bike is just well engineered, the quality of the frame and the design translate to a balanced bike that is just a pleasure to ride. All those carbon snobs are missing out, this bike is fantastic.

I am going to play with head angles a bit, maybe even with a works head angle altering headset. I figure I can get the bike to 63.5 in the slack mode for shuttle days and bike parks, then use the steep mode at 64 for trail riding and maybe go to 170 front to drop the bb back down. I don't want to reproduce the exact same geo as the Hawk, but I do want to see how the Warden would feel slacked out just a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersk View Post
    I have 5 rides on my 2020 Warden LT. I ride it in the slack mode with a 180mm factory grip2. The rear is the float x2.

Coming off 2 months exclusively riding on my Chromag Doctahawk while covid shipping times screwed with my Warden build, I'm finding 64.5 head angle feeling a little steep sitting over the bike and pedalling it around. I was a little worried. It sounds weird to say 64.5 is steep, I get it, but I have really been gelling with the extreme geo on the Hawk at 62.5 which is slacker than my last DH bike - the Canfield Jedi....
    Sounds great!... and just a quick note to remember that on your Docta, there's no sag in the rear (ha, obviously), but what that means is that the HA at sag (from just front sag) vs the HA at sag on the Warden isn't as different as it might seem initially.

While the Warden's HA doesn't change much at sag (given a relatively similar amount of sag front to rear), the Docta changes a fair bit... which is why it's designed so slack (unsagged) in the first place. So if you're running a 180mm fork on the Docta and have it sagged to about 20%... that's approx 35mm of sag. We know that 10mm of change to a fork, makes an approx 0.5 degree change to the HA. So at sag, your Docta's HA is actually at approx 63.75... give or take some 10ths of a degree.

While riding, especially down something steep, because a hardtail doesn't use any travel in the rear, the fork will often spend a lot of time beyond sag, making the HA even steeper. Again, why the Docta was designed with such a slack HA.

Anyway, awesome stable of bikes you've got going!

EDIT - You mentioned your Docta has a 62.5 degree HA... so maybe you're running it with a 170mm fork? If so, numbers change a little, but the premise is still similar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Finally! For those waiting... here are a few quick impressions on the differences between riding and racing the Fugitive LT for a year and now a solid 15 rides in on my Warden V2.

**Spoiler alert.. the differences are pretty obvious regarding what you think the differences would be between a 135mm 29r and a 160mm 27.5... haha!

Set-up notes: Fugitive LT ridden w/ a 160mm fork... Warden V2 ridden w/ a 170mm fork.

My last couple of rides have been utter magic on this bike... it always takes me a while to get used to a bike. Messing around with set-up, adjusting suspension etc. Last week I did a couple rides with a shockwiz just to make sure I was taking full advantage of what I'm riding this year, which was great. Everything was set-up pretty good, but the adjustments it suggested and I made have the bike feeling insane right now. I pretty impressed with the Shockwiz... my local shop rents it out for $40 for 3 days.

I'm really noticing the differences between the Fugitive now that I'm more used to the Warden. I always thought the Fugitive was quite a big hit champ vs how little travel it had... seemed to "punch above it's weight class" and I never had much fear throwing it down whatever I wanted. But this Warden multiplies that by a good amount... the thing feels ****ing bottomless... it seems to have that same "punch above it's weight class" but starting out with 160mm travel. I can't imagine what the LT version or the Delirium must feel like... they should probably just throw a dual crown as stock on the Delirium and not bother with a future Podium (if that's in the works?)... Delirium LT at 195mm with a Fox40?? Yes please!!

It's still early days and I'm still testing and sussing it out... going back a forth between slack and neutral, but I'm already diving much faster into gnarly terrain, going bigger off drops, into crazier chutes and eyeing up bigger moves than I did with the Fugitive. It is inspiring new found confidence on the gnarliest stuff.

Climbing isn't quite as good as on the Fugitive... but that just basically feels like it's down to the fact it has more travel and sag to deal with... it still climbs great for what it is, but you're never going to make it climb better than or like the Fugitive... it gets close though I'd say.

27.5 vs 29... this has been interesting. I am feeling a few differences. Rolling speed and roll-over is a little different (little slower, requires a little more work) at lower speeds and lower inclines... but I find once the trail gets steeper and faster, those differences fade away. And 27.5 does feel a little more easy to maneuver in tight jank... cornering is also a little more fun... When I switched from a 27.5 bike to the Fugitive, it took me longer than I expected to feel comfortable in faster bermed corners... I needed to adjust, be more careful and thoughtful about my positioning and braking. It probably made me a better rider. Back on the 27.5... I feel like I can head into a corner with a little more abandon and just sort force the bike to do my bidding a little more mid-corner vs having to set-up properly each time on the 29r. These differences aren't huge, mind you.

Jumping around and popping off little things also feels a little more fun... that kind of stuff and air time and just adjusting the bike feels a little easier... like I have more "space" as well. It actually really has me wondering what this bike would be like in a mullet configuration... like with a 160mm 29" fork up front??! I think this bike in that set-up might be insane.

Anyway... those are my initial impressions of the differences so far. I loved my Fugitive LT... and I think I'm starting to love my Warden just a little bit more for my style of riding.

If anyone has anymore specific questions... let me know.. Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    EDIT - You mentioned your Docta has a 62.5 degree HA... so maybe you're running it with a 170mm fork? If so, numbers change a little, but the premise is still similar.
    Hey thanks.

The 2020 version of the Hawk is actually 62.5 at 180mm front. They reigned in the geo a bit after the first iteration. Chainstays a little longer also. I think it makes for a better all arounder than the first iteration. I don't feel like the rear is too light while riding on top of the front tire attacking terrain. I felt pretty at home on the bike coming off a 2017 Stylus raked to 180mm front. I'm actually running 2.8 Magix Mary on 27.5 40mm Chromag rims on the Hawk. The little extra cushion in the rear helps take on super gnarly terrain. BB is low, but I got used to that and have 170mm cranks on it. Sure, the ride is rougher on the body, but the Hawk isn't that much slower than a fully. It's pretty amazing.

You are right about the head angles and the rear suspension retaining more of the actual at rest measurement than a hardtail, thanks for mentioning that, I was aware of that.

At 180 front I am probably closer to a 64 degree resting HA in the slack mode of the Warden. At 170 I'll be back to 64.5 -1 for the headset with the option of the steep mode setting too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Updated Fox shock on the new batch of Wardens coming in. I received my frame and it came with a 2021 Fox Float X2.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.p...ref=findbycode

Punch in D7CM.
    Last edited by canuckmtb; 07-17-2020 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Missing info

mtbr member

I built up my Warden a few weeks ago and absolutely love this bike... There was no adjustment coming from my Evil Following and my wifes Fugitive LT.. Felt at home immediately. At 5 10.5' I've always been in between a Medium and a Large and in fact my last three bikes I had to size up. Comparing reach numbers I decided on a Medium and the fit is spot on and I can FINALLY run my seat in the middle.

My first few days with the bike were at Highland Bike Park and again I felt instantly comfortable in all aspects from high speed tech, jump lines, etc. I have been coming here for 8 years and have pretty much been relegated to Blue trails and Helliion but this bike gave me the confidence to tackle all of the Black and Double Black runs (drops above my heard are still above my pay grade though :-)

On the trail the geometry really shines when climbing. I feel perfectly weighted in the bike and have never have to adjust my position to weight the front or rear. In New Hampshire our trails are short up and down littered with roots and rocks and granite features. An ideal match for that Knolly fourbyfour traction but I did find the Super Deluxe was lacking support at the top and I was getting pedal strikes in sections I'm used to clearing-when putting power down to get over some chunk the shock would compress a little deeper into it's travel than I like causing the bottom bracket to get too low. We don't really have sustained climbs so a climb switch is not a viable option and I didn't know if tokens would have alleviated this so I decided to contact Avalanche Suspension. He recommended I send him a Marzocchi Bomber CR for tuning rather than send the Super Deluxe. I received it yesterday and it is an absolute home run.. The shock stays supportive at the top yet still absorbing every obstacle and stays glued to the ground when pedaling. Virtually no bob out of the saddle mashing (I swear it pedals as well if not better than Evil Following did). Any weight penalty vs the Super Deluxe is offset by big improvements in pedaling efficiency. I should mention that the Super Deluxe was great at the bike park and when descending..

2020 Medium V2 RAW 160mm
    Avy Tuned Marzocchi Bomber CR
    2019 Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate RC2 170mm
    Sram XX1 Rainbow, 32T
    Sram XX1 Cranks 170
    Sram Code RSC Brakes 200/180 Rotors
    Industry Nine 40mm Stem
    Deity Speedway 35 Handlebar: 30mm Rise
    PNW Ranier 200mm Dropper
    PNW Components grips
    Ergon saddle
    NOBL TR37 Rims
    Industry Nine Hydra Hubs
    Assegai, Aggressor Tires
    Canfield Mountain Pedals

Last edited by Jtravnh; 07-22-2020 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Sweet ride! Nice write up.

Seems like you found the perfect bike with a dialed in shock that has helped your riding skills. That's a win on multiple levels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Build Pending

Hello all,

Very grateful for all the participation in this thread. I'm stoked there are so many others like myself who were awaiting this bike with so much anticipation.

I got my frame, after much trial and tribulation (due to pandemic issues and also a slight mixup with components) about mid-june, Just before my birthday. Sadly I have been laid up for over two months with a separated shoulder, and have legit resisted putting said bike together because I doubt my self-restraint and would probably go and ride it and turn my grade 2 separation into a 4!

In any case I went with the Large Raw frame and I was fortunate to be bestowed with the Builder series frame with the Seymour Trails topo. map color way. I had deposit on a large raw, but they shipped mine to someone else or something... not complaining! This is my second Knolly bike but the first time I have purchased new from them. I will say despite all the obstacles they pushed through and persisted not only to get my bike to me but to make sure I was a happy customer. Ken worked very hard hats off to him and everyone else, we live in crazy times right now where we can hardly show our face in public but some folks are busting ass to make sure we can still ride. Rad.

I went with the EC build kit on the 160/160 sus. platform, got the i9 101 wheels which at the time were an upgrade from spanks, Fox 36 Factory in the front and went a little different route and got the RS SDLX Ultimate Coil in the back, again with the shorter travel which caused some kind of confusion in the sram dept. and Knolly was sent the wrong stroke of shock. Waited two months for the replacement... but I was injured and hey, I got the replacement so it worked out. I bought an upgraded cockpit, Alu bars and a stem from Chromag (haters) because the RF affect stuff it came with looks and feels about a sturdy as a dixie cup and boy, I like to break things. Got some colorful tiddlybits to go with it as well. I will post an update with the completed build. Im coming off of a 14' Endo built like miniature DH rig which i consider the best trail bike I've ever ridden. If this Warden outguns it (which I know it will) expect to hear me singin'! lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtravnh View Post
    I built up my Warden a few weeks ago and absolutely love this bike... There was no adjustment coming from my Evil Following and my wifes Fugitive LT.. Felt at home immediately. At 5 10.5' I've always been in between a Medium and a Large and in fact my last three bikes I had to size up. Comparing reach numbers I decided on a Medium and the fit is spot on and I can FINALLY run my seat in the middle.

My first few days with the bike were at Highland Bike Park and again I felt instantly comfortable in all aspects from high speed tech, jump lines, etc. I have been coming here for 8 years and have pretty much been relegated to Blue trails and Helliion but this bike gave me the confidence to tackle all of the Black and Double Black runs (drops above my heard are still above my pay grade though :-)

On the trail the geometry really shines when climbing. I feel perfectly weighted in the bike and have never have to adjust my position to weight the front or rear. In New Hampshire our trails are short up and down littered with roots and rocks and granite features. An ideal match for that Knolly fourbyfour traction but I did find the Super Deluxe was lacking support at the top and I was getting pedal strikes in sections I'm used to clearing-when putting power down to get over some chunk the shock would compress a little deeper into it's travel than I like causing the bottom bracket to get too low. We don't really have sustained climbs so a climb switch is not a viable option and I didn't know if tokens wouldve alleviated this so I decided to contact Avalanche Suspension. He recommended I send him a Marzocchi Bomber CR for tuning rather than send the Super Deluxe. I received it yesterday and it is an absolute home run.. The shock stays supportive at the top yet still absorbing every obstacle and stays glued to the ground when pedaling. Virtually no bob out of the saddle mashing (I swear it pedals as well if not better than Evil Following did). Any weight penalty vs the Super Deluxe is offset by big improvements in pedaling efficiency.

2020 Medium V2 RAW 160mm
    Sram XX1 Rainbow, 32T
    Sram XX1 Cranks 170
    Industry Nine 40mm Stem
    PNW Ranier 200mm Dropper
    PNW Components grips
    Ergon saddle
    NOBL TR37 Rims
    Industry Nine Hydra Hubs
    Assegai, Aggressor Tires
    Canfield Mountain Pedals

Nice to hear the good feedback on the Avy bomber. I got one tuned for my fugitive but haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Hello all,

Very grateful for all the participation in this thread. I'm stoked there are so many others like myself who were awaiting this bike with so much anticipation.

I got my frame, after much trial and tribulation (due to pandemic issues and also a slight mixup with components) about mid-june, Just before my birthday. Sadly I have been laid up for over two months with a separated shoulder, and have legit resisted putting said bike together because I doubt my self-restraint and would probably go and ride it and turn my grade 2 separation into a 4!

In any case I went with the Large Raw frame and I was fortunate to be bestowed with the Builder series frame with the Seymour Trails topo. map color way. I had deposit on a large raw, but they shipped mine to someone else or something... not complaining! This is my second Knolly bike but the first time I have purchased new from them. I will say despite all the obstacles they pushed through and persisted not only to get my bike to me but to make sure I was a happy customer. Ken worked very hard hats off to him and everyone else, we live in crazy times right now where we can hardly show our face in public but some folks are busting ass to make sure we can still ride. Rad.

I went with the EC build kit on the 160/160 sus. platform, got the i9 101 wheels which at the time were an upgrade from spanks, Fox 36 Factory in the front and went a little different route and got the RS SDLX Ultimate Coil in the back, again with the shorter travel which caused some kind of confusion in the sram dept. and Knolly was sent the wrong stroke of shock. Waited two months for the replacement... but I was injured and hey, I got the replacement so it worked out. I bought an upgraded cockpit, Alu bars and a stem from Chromag (haters) because the RF affect stuff it came with looks and feels about a sturdy as a dixie cup and boy, I like to break things. Got some colorful tiddlybits to go with it as well. I will post an update with the completed build. Im coming off of a 14' Endo built like miniature DH rig which i consider the best trail bike I've ever ridden. If this Warden outguns it (which I know it will) expect to hear me singin'! lol
    Hi Parabola:

Thank you for the kind words and also your patience! It has been a CRAZY past four months for us and a super stressful time to launch a new product: Warden shipments started literally a week after Covid concerns ramped up quickly and this caused a massive change in available shipping methods leading to increased transportation lead times. Add to this some unexpected delays with ocean shipping services and we have had some - frankly - frustrated customers as well as very stressed Knolly staff. I want to personally thank everyone who was affected and patiently waited.

All the best with your shoulder recovery and you're correct to not push things. Let us know once you get your bike built up and you're healthy to ride - we'll look forward to the pictures!

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I echo Parabola's sentiments! First of all, on the beloved Endorphin which I also consider to be the best trail bike I've ridden! Secondly, on the Knolly team customer service! I guess I ordered my Warden frame at just the right time, I literally received it TWO DAYS after having finally deciding to pull the trigger on one. I contacted Ken, paid the invoice, and like I said the frame arrived two days later. Ken has been nothing short of fantastic, when it has come to answering all my questions and helping me through the build process.

So far I've got about a dozen rides on my Warden, and about 113 miles, on mostly pretty tame single track in Prescott, AZ. Last night I finally took her on a legit tech ride, out to the Constellation trail system in Prescott Dells. I'm not too much of a techie, but I had a couple of thoughts after my Dells ride last night. I was a little surprised on the technical climbing ability. Traction was awesome! And when pointed down, the bike is very confidence inspiring (in neutral mode). I'm looking forward to riding Hiline Sedona this weekend, I'm sure the Warden will shine!Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-dells2.jpgWords on the new Warden 2020 ?-dells1.jpg

Keep on Rockin...
    2sharp... so how'd the Warden compare to the Endo on the steep techie climbs?

On a different note, here's an elusive review I'd not seen. I'd been routinely scanning for new reviews and this one escaped my watch. Maybe others missed it too, so I'm linking it. It one of the best reviews I've seen yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0HnaMrhf4&t=4s

Wonder if anyone has tried this bike with a Double Barrel coil? I'm a big fan of both the DB and Inline coil. The climb switch Cane Creek has is the rear deal. I'd also like to know if that would be option at the time of purchase as a special order?
    Last edited by Miker J; 07-22-2020 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

On a different note, here's an elusive review I'd not seen. I'd been routinely scanning for new reviews and this one escaped my watch. Maybe others missed it too, so I'm linking it. It one of the best reviews I've seen yet.

Wonder if anyone has tried this bike with a Double Barrel coil? I'm a big fan of both the DB and Inline coil. The climb switch Cane Creek has is the rear deal. I'd also like to know if that would be option at the time of purchase as a special order?
    @Miker J
    It's really kind of hard to say. I never was able to ride the bikes back to back, as I sold the Endo to fund the parts to build up the v2. Having said that, based on last night's ride I think the v2 is BETTER in techie climbing than the Endo. Could be I was just having a good night, or I'm getting more used to the new bike, etc?? Every ride I have on the new Warden, the Endorphin is a more and more distant memory, and i miss her a little less

Dr. Pepper drinker
    @Miker J
    It's really kind of hard to say. I never was able to ride the bikes back to back, as I sold the Endo to fund the parts to build up the v2. Having said that, based on last night's ride I think the v2 is BETTER in techie climbing than the Endo. Could be I was just having a good night, or I'm getting more used to the new bike, etc?? Every ride I have on the new Warden, the Endorphin is a more and more distant memory, and i miss her a little less
    2sharp7, with the more tame trails that you've got significant miles on with the Warden, do you feel like you are significantly overbiked or is it still fairly playful? The thing I love most about my Endorphin is that it's every bit as fun on swoopy XC trails popping off of things and ripping corners as it is on double black technical stuff. The old Warden really ate up the tech, probably a tiny bit more than my overbuilt coil/coil Endorphin, but it always felt a little sluggish and overbiked when it came to mellower terrain. With the increased pedaling performance I keep finding myself wondering about a potential Warden build (and maybe expanding the one bike fleet to two bikes with one of the hardtails being teased).

Dr. Pepper drinker

Got that link to the review? I'm curious to see if it's one I've missed as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    @Miker J
    Because of the position we have, I would say it climbs better too! At least for 6'+ people like me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtravnh View Post

On the trail the geometry really shines when climbing. I feel perfectly weighted in the bike and have never have to adjust my position to weight the front or rear. In New Hampshire our trails are short up and down littered with roots and rocks and granite features. An ideal match for that Knolly fourbyfour traction but I did find the Super Deluxe was lacking support at the top and I was getting pedal strikes in sections I'm used to clearing-when putting power down to get over some chunk the shock would compress a little deeper into it's travel than I like causing the bottom bracket to get too low. We don't really have sustained climbs so a climb switch is not a viable option and I didn't know if tokens would have alleviated this so I decided to contact Avalanche Suspension. He recommended I send him a Marzocchi Bomber CR for tuning rather than send the Super Deluxe. I received it yesterday and it is an absolute home run.. The shock stays supportive at the top yet still absorbing every obstacle and stays glued to the ground when pedaling. Virtually no bob out of the saddle mashing (I swear it pedals as well if not better than Evil Following did). Any weight penalty vs the Super Deluxe is offset by big improvements in pedaling efficiency. I should mention that the Super Deluxe was great at the bike park and when descending..

2020 Medium V2 RAW 160mm
    Sram XX1 Rainbow, 32T
    Sram XX1 Cranks 170
    Industry Nine 40mm Stem
    PNW Ranier 200mm Dropper
    PNW Components grips
    Ergon saddle
    NOBL TR37 Rims
    Industry Nine Hydra Hubs
    Assegai, Aggressor Tires
    Canfield Mountain Pedals

I was going through 80% of the travel while going fast on blue rocky trails... You only needed the megneg can! Still plush but you can adjust mid travel support.

This winter Knolly said to me that I should take a shock with a climb switch so I didn't buy the cheap Bomber CR that I was looking at on pinkbike but seriously I only use the climb switch on super easy climbing trail which is like twice per ride... and I could not even use it as it climb so well anyway! I love my superdeluxe with the megneg but am now curious to try a coil shock... just to see! haha Not sure if I would still go with a Bomber as I don't know if it's complicated to send it to Avalanche from Canada but thanks for your review, that's what I wanted to hear!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Oh by the way I was using 80% of travel on blue trails (with rocks and roots, not flowy) with the two oem tokens in. Now have more neg volume with the meg neg and still the 2 tokens. Do you think I would need a progressive coil? Knolly said no but I am really not sure.... if it's more linear than my air shock, I'll bottom out on a 2' drop! lol I thought about a Sprindex like my friend have but don't want it to be harsh at the beginning.... The best would be a progressive Sprindex!! lol

I was at 28% of sag with 168mm (about the same as 30% with 160mm but with spare travel) but now riding it at 29-30 and loving it! Not sure if I would go with 160 or 168 with a coil but probably 160 if I don't bottom out too easily. By the way are we supposed to have less sag or not with coils? Some say less sag with coil...like 25% rear and 15-20 max for the front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    2sharp7, with the more tame trails that you've got significant miles on with the Warden, do you feel like you are significantly overbiked or is it still fairly playful? The thing I love most about my Endorphin is that it's every bit as fun on swoopy XC trails popping off of things and ripping corners as it is on double black technical stuff. The old Warden really ate up the tech, probably a tiny bit more than my overbuilt coil/coil Endorphin, but it always felt a little sluggish and overbiked when it came to mellower terrain. With the increased pedaling performance I keep finding myself wondering about a potential Warden build (and maybe expanding the one bike fleet to two bikes with one of the hardtails being teased).
    Well, I'm not sure I'm the right one to ask...I typically don't really "pop" much off of things and tend to keep the rubber side down. However, I may in fact be over biked, but I don't think I feel like I'm having any less fun riding my usual trails, so what's the harm in that? If it gains me a little bit of confidence and comfort on the steep techie downs, it is definitely worth it! I feel like this Warden and my future Knolly hard tail will be a great 2 bike quiver!

*Edit to add. There is a significant weight difference between the Endorphin and new Warden so that could be a factor to you. I've never weighed either bike and only have really noticed the weight lifting the bike up on to my hitch rack.

Keep on Rockin...
    Got that link to the review? I'm curious to see if it's one I've missed as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW0HnaMrhf4&t=4s

Opps. Sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Cheers!

Glad I'm not alone on that. My endo's getting fully rebuilt once the warden is done haha. Two days though huh? My order suffered multiple obstacles but damn... you live close by or something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Glad I'm not alone on that. My endo's getting fully rebuilt once the warden is done haha. Two days though huh? My order suffered multiple obstacles but damn... you live close by or something?
    Nope, I'm in AZ. I think they actually shipped the same day I paid. Pretty amazing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Biased review.

I might give his opinions in this video more regard if he did not literally compare it to his own personal bike (which he probably spent in excess of $3K more than what the knolly costs to get) About 5 times in the beginning ov the review. Then alluded to it for the rest. "Climbs a little slower than my Enduro..." "I wonder if the sluggishness is all the aluminum parts..." It's all that carbon ego you're lugging around bruh. At least he pronounces the brand correctly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I might give his opinions in this video more regard if he did not literally compare it to his own personal bike (which he probably spent in excess of $3K more than what the knolly costs to get) About 5 times in the beginning ov the review. Then alluded to it for the rest. "Climbs a little slower than my Enduro..." "I wonder if the sluggishness is all the aluminum parts..." It's all that carbon ego you're lugging around bruh. At least he pronounces the brand correctly.
    It's been a few weeks since I watched that review but from what I remember, other than those couple of comments that you quoted early on in the video, it seems apparent to me he really liked the bike a lot.

orthonormal
    The 2020 Enduro rear suspension moves even less with weight shifts than my Fugitive LT. I thought it felt faster climbing too, but my Strava data says otherwise. There's a steep 1Km fire road climb that i've done over and over on both bikes and i'm consistently 30+ seconds faster on the Fugitive.

* Results with Warden may vary. Do not climb fire roads unless no singletrack option exists.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Yeah I'm not saying that I doubt the spesh is faster..it ought to be for what it is. Nor am I saying he didn't like the Warden, he clearly did. But this is exactly my point. That's like comparing apples to oranges. It's supposed to be a review not a non-linear comparison. A knolly isn't trying to be the faster bike, its trying to be the better bike. Don't think I'm trashing the guy. I subscribe to his channel. But someone needed to bring up how he used his own personal bike as a benchmark 🧐

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    There's a steep 1Km fire road climb that i've done over and over on both bikes and i'm consistently 30+ seconds faster on the Fugitive.

* Results with Warden may vary. Do not climb fire roads unless no singletrack option exists.
    That's a big time difference for only 1k, and I definitely agree with no fire road climbs, for any bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah I'm not saying that I doubt the spesh is faster..it ought to be for what it is. Nor am I saying he didn't like the Warden, he clearly did. But this id exactly my point. its like comparing apples to oranges. It's supposed to be a review not a non-linear comparison.
    Yes, agreed. I kind of think he's trying to decide whether he likes 29ers or 27.5 better.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Finally got out for my first ride on my new ride.
    Unlike others my journey started last Sept 13, 2019.
    Put my deposit on my new XL Warden frame.
    I had gone through all the numbers and compared them all and finally settled with the Warden which might work for me. The one thing that was of concern was Stack height as Knolly is lower then most.
    But they are local, which is something important to me even though all their prices are in Americian funds.......which I understand why but find irritating in a way......sorry.
    (This is what happens when you are recovering from Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff repair and have way to much time on hand, a bit bored and a credit card.......)

Did lots of looking for parts and luckily I did find a rear hub on sale but the rest was to much once I converted it to Canadian. Bought the rest through a local bike store I support and the owner is a super nice guy! Too Nice!
    It took awhile but I finally heard from Ken that he needed my credit card for more $$$$ to finish up the transaction of the purchase.
    Picked up the frame May 1, 2020 from the warehouse.
    I was able to get a fork (Lucky I ordered when I did), front hub and rims and the build began.
    I finally picked up my complete bike July 19 and was able to take it out today..........Covid 19 did make getting the frame and build it up interesting!

First ride impression........very happy with my selection and how I built it up. It may not be a standard build but it works for me!
    Just to give you an idea I am coming off a 08 Turner RFX which was my go to bike for the last 11 years. Some might be shocked by this but when I find something that works I stick to it. I am 6' 7" and getting old, so it is not like I have a lot of selections to begin with............

It climbs very well but I do notice the BB is lower then my previous bike so I had a few more pedal strikes.......
    When it came to going down I felt very stable and quick. It did not take me to long to start having fun!!! I like the larger rims/tires and the 38 Fox shock was amazing!

So I took it out to a area close to my place in the Fraser Valley.
    Nothing special which what I wanted.
    Just in case!
    Riding this bike gives me the same feel like when I rode my first Turner.....amazing! Not sure if it makes sense but it just felt right!
    Riding it up or down, I had no issues.
    And that was just on the first ride!
    Thanks to Noel, Ken and the rest of the team during these weird and strange times.......Thanks!

Here is a shot
    Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-img_2774.jpg
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT
    20' Knolly Warden

Yebo Numzaan
    I came here to say that I have never felt more confident or comfortable on a bike than I do on my Warden V2. I am doing things and riding differently than i have ever done...popping / bouncing / standing tall and taking different lines...it is stupid super fun.

I do think a lot of it may have come from me borrowing a friends HT and ultimately getting myself a Chromag (in anticipation of something else)...as the HT definitely changes your approach to the trail - forcing you to be smooth / find lines and commit to the front of the bike (fork)

When i get back on the V2...it is just crazy. Smashing good times. I love switching back and forth...its like having a new sport.

And...with 2.5 rubber on the Rootdown (and V2)...I would not hesitate to say the Warden climbs better (unless its steep single track - i climb mostly roads) - i like the compliance in the rear end too.

I need a rest day.
    I support EMBA

Yebo Numzaan
    Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the family! I enjoyed reading your story. Enjoy!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Congrats Dawgprimo, another ex-Homer riding Knolly. The "fun factor" of my Endorphin reminds me of my old horst-link 5spot and the smile that would put on my face. It's a shame to see Turner slowly fading away but I fk'n love my Knolly!

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Thanks Muttonchops and David R!
    I have kept an eye on Knolly and it was time to finally pull the wallet out, when the new Warden came out.
    My Turner was brushed Aluminium and so is this one.....somethings never change!

I don't normally write up a lot of ride reports but I was pretty impressed for my first ride, I had to say something.
    Besides it was about time I got a new ride!!
    When I was riding in the Kootenays, a lot of the locals comments when they saw my bike was, riding retro........cool! But when I was in Moab a few comments were how old my bike was.....?
    I thought that was hilarious!

I have a lot of rides planned for it and lots of holidays coming up........as long as the body holds up!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT
    20' Knolly Warden

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Unlike others my journey started last Sept 13, 2019.
    Put my deposit on my new XL Warden frame.
    I had gone through all the numbers and compared them all and finally settled with the Warden which might work for me. The one thing that was of concern was Stack height as Knolly is lower then most.
    But they are local, which is something important to me even though all their prices are in Americian funds.......which I understand why but find irritating in a way......sorry.
    (This is what happens when you are recovering from Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff repair and have way to much time on hand, a bit bored and a credit card.......)

Did lots of looking for parts and luckily I did find a rear hub on sale but the rest was to much once I converted it to Canadian. Bought the rest through a local bike store I support and the owner is a super nice guy! Too Nice!
    It took awhile but I finally heard from Ken that he needed my credit card for more $$$$ to finish up the transaction of the purchase.
    Picked up the frame May 1, 2020 from the warehouse.
    I was able to get a fork (Lucky I ordered when I did), front hub and rims and the build began.
    I finally picked up my complete bike July 19 and was able to take it out today..........Covid 19 did make getting the frame and build it up interesting!

First ride impression........very happy with my selection and how I built it up. It may not be a standard build but it works for me!
    Just to give you an idea I am coming off a 08 Turner RFX which was my go to bike for the last 11 years. Some might be shocked by this but when I find something that works I stick to it. I am 6' 7" and getting old, so it is not like I have a lot of selections to begin with............

It climbs very well but I do notice the BB is lower then my previous bike so I had a few more pedal strikes.......
    When it came to going down I felt very stable and quick. It did not take me to long to start having fun!!! I like the larger rims/tires and the 38 Fox shock was amazing!

So I took it out to a area close to my place in the Fraser Valley.
    Nothing special which what I wanted.
    Just in case!
    Riding this bike gives me the same feel like when I rode my first Turner.....amazing! Not sure if it makes sense but it just felt right!
    Riding it up or down, I had no issues.
    And that was just on the first ride!
    Thanks to Noel, Ken and the rest of the team during these weird and strange times.......Thanks!

Here is a shot
    how long is that stem, 100mm?????

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I was wondering the same Lol he did say he was 6'7" (8 foot 🤛 )

roots, rocks, rhythm

... and if we just ...

I was wondering the same Lol he did say he was 6'7" (8 foot 亂 )
    Kenwood72 you are correct!
    It is a 100mm.
    As I said my build is not like most.
    I was originally worried about how the numbers were all going to work out once I ordered the frame.
    (My wing span is 7 ft) so yes I got long arms and I got to put them somewhere.......and yes I did play basketball back in the day.....back when I could run.
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT
    20' Knolly Warden

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Finally

Picked her up Saturday! Was concerned about trying to make red and green work together but I'm very pleased how it turned out. Have only ridden on my BY trail due to my injury but am extremely happy. I'll be at full send soon enough. Added some sticker action too.
    Now lets see if I can post images correctly. Hollar if you get the movie reference!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-05fd7203-45f0-40a3-9f8d-62c1886ee892.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-79735fc8-b62d-45ba-97ec-18c6ec7dac83.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-fc7449eb-9cba-4838-b0a8-d0894d595644.jpg  

Words on the new Warden 2020 ?-023d60c3-70f3-4f3e-899a-4336a3979d58.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Parabola, NICE!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had my 2020 LT at Silverstar bike park for 3 days of abuse. Bike felt great in the air
    and squishy when I needed it on big hits. Big berm corners were pretty fun on this thing - plus my new Hydra rear hub screaming away! There are very few places I missed having a true DH rig. I am curious now about upping the rear stroke to make this thing into a Delirium and then Mullet the bike out... could be a monster on descents and still climb decently well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Thanks 2sharp!

mtbr member
    Has anyone put a front derailleur on one of these yet?

There is an E type adapter for a previous model that looks like it might be required. But I'm mostly curious about crank spacing.
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    Has anyone put a front derailleur on one of these yet?

There is an E type adapter for a previous model that looks like it might be required. But I'm mostly curious about crank spacing.
    In theory it's possible just as it is with the Fugitive, but unlike the Fugitive, we have not tested 2x drivetrains on this bike, so you'll be on your own a bit in terms of figuring things out. The Warden does not have cable routing for FDs (which the Fugitive does have): you would have to fix the cable down the down tube.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast