!?! What is the best Titanium Spring in the whole World !?!- Mtbr.com
    pedal up
    Dec 2009

!?! What is the best Titanium Spring in the whole World !?!

Stats:

2010 Delirium = 2.5" shock stroke...

- CCDB with stock 400lb steel spring
    - i weigh 170-175lbs without shorts / say approx 185-190lb with gear
    - AM / FR (wimp level) / handful of Whistler Park days per season
    - (the 400lb rate seems right)

i seek the wise and sage advice of the Knolly forum family...

1. what is the best quality Ti spring company out there that fits and runs like a hot damn?

- Cane Creek only carries OEM Ti springs for 2.75", 3.0" and 3.5" stroke shocks
    - though some mechanic said that the Delirium fits a 2.75" ?!?
    - http://store.canecreek.com/products/...1218.13755.0.0

- Obtanium Performance Products brag of certified organic aerospace grade rarified alloys
    - don't have a spring size that fits the Delirium
    - require some spacer like action?
    - are virtually out of stock of everything?
    - http://www.obtainiumperformanceprodu...m/products.php

2. heard that on a CCDB a Ti spring will rub on the oil housing casing that rides above and along the spring line?

- eventually will cause you to have to replace the housing to the tune of some $300?

seen a couple of threads out there but nothing that addresses all my concerns,
    don't want cheap shitty metal,
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I had to cut the plastic shroud off just to keep my steel 400# spring from rubbing. Be very careful whatever you get has in ID >= to whatever CC uses. I can say every Progressive Ti spring I've encountered thus far rubs badly on the CCDB.

mtbr member
    I had an DSP ti spring on my CCDB, no rubbing whatsoever. I recently had swap it out for a different weight for my Chicotin, and got an RCS Ti spring, but obviously haven't tried it as the frame isn't available yet. But the ID of the RCS is what Cane Creek requires, so I don't see an issue. I think all the rubbing reports are from people using springs with slightly smaller ID than required

I'd love to get a Ti spring for my Vivid, but choices are far and few between there. And damn costly.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

ID vs OD rubbing...

knew of the id spring tolerance issue. and perhaps i heard this wrong but apparently some ti springs outside diameter are too large and will slightly rub up against the oil reservior chamber - ie scores the tube that juts out from the shock adjustments.

apparently this happens on Fox shocks too and eventually you'll have to replace this part?

or perhaps i misunderstood the mechanic?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by biobike View Post
    knew of the id spring tolerance issue. and perhaps i heard this wrong but apparently some ti springs outside diameter are too large and will slightly rub up against the oil reservior chamber - ie scores the tube that juts out from the shock adjustments.

apparently this happens on Fox shocks too and eventually you'll have to replace this part?

or perhaps i misunderstood the mechanic?
    Pretty sure he was describing the ID problem, lots less clearance there than on the outside.

pedal up
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Pretty sure he was describing the ID problem, lots less clearance there than on the outside.
    ya, though i'm sure the dude told me i'd have to replace that whole outter oil canister ?

(i'll recheck with him).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The blue end cap on piggyback of fox rc4 will contact obtanium spring. You can just remove cap. Ccdb should be fine.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For 2,5" or shorter stroke CCDB`s Renton (RCS) is the best option - inner diameter is bigger compared to Diverse or Nukeproof (which are the only others really available nowadays).

DPS works with CCDB too, and Nukeproof also, but there`s allways risk for rubbing shock body with those. Newer CCDB`s are with plastic sleeve around shock body, but older ones are missing that - large enough hot shrink tube works as a protector too.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

almost dialed in...

Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx View Post
    For 2,5" or shorter stroke CCDB`s Renton (RCS) is the best option - inner diameter is bigger compared to Diverse or Nukeproof (which are the only others really available nowadays).

thanks everyone...

think i've lined up and going with the RCS with the 1.43 inner.

2.5 x 400 seems to work in the steel that came equipped on the CCDB. hoping a 400 Ti will be the same and more.

(though what thoughts on a 450) ?!?

mtbr member
    I'm probably 10-15 pounds heavier than you depending on the day. I was running a 450# steel for a few months and decided to go to a Ti spring. In doing so I reevaluated my spring rate and realized I was running too heavy of a spring, so a RCS 400# Ti was ordered. It was one of the best improvements I made to the bike. The rear feels so much more plush now, and has less tendency to buck in harsh terrain. Climbing hasn't been hampered much at all. There is a bit more of a wallowing/flat tire feel on steady climbs, but nothing I can't adapt to. Stick with the 400# spring, you don't want to go any heavier than that, it will only create a harsh ride given your weight.

pedal up
    Dec 2009

finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    I'm probably 10-15 pounds heavier than you depending on the day. I was running a 450# steel for a few months and decided to go to a Ti spring. In doing so I reevaluated my spring rate and realized I was running too heavy of a spring, so a RCS 400# Ti was ordered. It was one of the best improvements I made to the bike. The rear feels so much more plush now, and has less tendency to buck in harsh terrain. Climbing hasn't been hampered much at all. There is a bit more of a wallowing/flat tire feel on steady climbs, but nothing I can't adapt to. Stick with the 400# spring, you don't want to go any heavier than that, it will only create a harsh ride given your weight.
    thanks man.

RCS 1.43 x 2.5 x 400 Ti goodness it is!