Warden v2 Build - Shimano or SRAM?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Warden v2 Build - Shimano or SRAM?

Just got my 2020 Warden frame a couple of weeks ago, and starting to accumulate parts for my build. I am super stoked! I'm debating Shimano vs. SRAM for this build and was wondering you all's thoughts on the subject?? I have ridden SRAM exclusively for quite some time, except for a few demo bikes that had Shimano. I don't have enough sample size of experience with Shimano to have formed much of an opinion one way or the other. Nothing against the SRAM stuff(well except perhaps the back pedaling issues), but I'm leaning toward Shimano for this build for some reason. Maybe just time to try something new? Who has strong opinions one way or the other, and why? What has been your experience?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warden v2 Build - Shimano or SRAM?-img_4844.jpg  

Warden v2 Build - Shimano or SRAM?-img_4846.jpg  

Warden v2 Build - Shimano or SRAM?-img_4845.jpg  

Yebo Numzaan
    Oh boy you going to get a mixed bag of answers here

I generally use a product / brand until i have a bad experience. If something works for me...I am super loyal. When I needed new wheels for my Warden (and another bike project)...I went with RF because i have been running a set of RF on the Warden and have had ZERO issues. Bloody crazy. The previous set i had gotten on a pro deal and I actually decided that i was happy paying (close to) retail this time around ... purely out of loyalty

Anyway...been on SRAM for a while (7 - yrs?) now and it works great. I am still 11sp cos it seems pretty cheap and I can still get up the hill. A couple years back i bought a "chain wear" measuring tool and became pretty religous about monitoring my chain...it is impressive how long my SRAM cassettes last if I change my chain regularly..and I ride in the PNW.

Happy with my Codes too.

Get it built...asap and go ride
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have one bike full Sram, and two that are full Shimano. Generally I think Sram shifting just feels amazing, but the Shimano brakes seem to inspire more confidence.

mtbr member
    Always SRAM except for brakes. lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Always SRAM except for brakes. lol
    Mmm I think there's a typo there... It's always Shimano except for brakes (Code) lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Always had Shimano except 11speed xx1 once on a used bike I bought... hated the shifter so much!!! Xt M8000 on my mtn bike and fatbike. I now have my new 12s. Xt waiting for my frame.... If you can afford it, I would really try that new XT or SLX with XT shifter. You need XT or XTR shifter! You need a microspline freehub though..

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review...rivetrain.html

BC
    mtbr member
    The Last SRAM I had was the last grip shift they made. I Imagine they are all pretty good these days. I prefer Shimano for drive train, Hope for brakes, and I9 for wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I run full SRAM right now, also still 11spd for same reasons as MuttonChops. Really like the Code brakes. That said, if I were building a new bike, I would go Shimano for drivetrain, especially if you start to compare cost.

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfillip View Post
    if I were building a new bike, I would go Shimano for drivetrain, especially if you start to compare cost.
    Fair comment!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Shimano brakes, Shimano shifter/derailleur, SRAM 11sp cassette here. I like being able to fire off multiple up-shifts with the Shimano shifter.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'll go ahead and say it, Magura brakes.

For 12 speed drivetrain I think it's honestly going to be personal preference on the shifter feel. GX eagle and above is pretty fantastic but Shimano did a nice job with the newer 12-speed groups. They finally got a decent range on the cassettes without any weird jumps. That said I think they're new freehub standard is probably a deal-breaker for me and I would stick with SRAM.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Shimano brakes, Shimano shifter/derailleur, SRAM 11sp cassette here. I like being able to fire off multiple up-shifts with the Shimano shifter.
    Yeah for like 4 years I had M8000 XT shifter and derailleur but with a 10-42 black Sram cassette! Same thing for me with the shifter.... I just hated that Sram single up-shifts so bad!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post
    The Last SRAM I had was the last grip shift they made. I Imagine they are all pretty good these days. I prefer Shimano for drive train, Hope for brakes, and I9 for wheels.
    Exactly what I have since last year! Hope brakes wow... wanted them for a long time and finally got them! I hated those on/off Saint brakes and the Hopes are just perfect for me. Shimano and I9 since 2016.