Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Vancouver Island Knollyfest 2018 Summer?

Vancouver Island has some world class riding to offer, but the proximity of Whistler and Squamish tends to suck all the air out of the room for visitors! I'd be happy to organize a summer 2018 Knollyfest on the island if there was some interest.

I've got a big yard for camping while we hit the south island and there is a cheap hostel in Cumberland that would be a great base of operations for the north island.

The itinerary would look something like this:

Day 1: Hartland [Victoria] - Sat - 21 July
    Day 2: Harbourview [Sooke] - Sun - 22 July
    Day 3: Maple Mountain [Duncan] - Mon - 23 July
    Day 4: Mount Tzouhalem [Duncan] - Tue - 24 July
    Day 5: Cumberland - Wed - 25 July
    Day 6: Forbidden Plateau [Cumberland] - Thurs - 26 July
    Day 7: Hammerfest [Parksville] - Fri - 27 July

Although I haven't asked him I am sure Travis would be happy to show us the goods in Cumby.

I won't be offended if there is no interest. Vancouver Island is off the map, but assuming people are keen I can make it happen.

Just leave a comment if you are interested and maybe a suggestion for a date [or dates] that works for you.

The riding here varies between slow speed uber tech gnar gnar and something approaching flowy, but with lots of roots and rocks.

Confirmed Fest Riders

- Vik B
    - Mike M [Islander] - camping at Vik's
    - Sooks
    - Coulecruiser
    - TravisB [Cumberland/Hammerfest]

- Big B - camping at Vik's/joining 23rd onwards
    Last edited by vikb; 06-05-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Keen for 2019.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Keen for 2019.

I should be retired summer of 2019 so come on over. I'll be free to ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    2019, if I still can get out of bed by then, I'm in.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Basically what the event would look like: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/weeken...er-island.html
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    very interesting...

mtbr member
    I'm interested.
    '04 Knolly VTach | '15 Knolly Podium | '16 Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    June through Aug would all be fine for a visit to the island so if you had a preference in terms of when you could get away that would help narrow down dates.

If it's just a few of us I have a F150 Supercrew we can use to shuttle folks and bikes around the island.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Definitely interested Vic! I have ridden in most of these zones and would love to go back, as well as explore some new areas.

mtbr member
    How about July 21-29, 2018 to get some dates out there?

If you are coming from out of driving distance I can pick up at the Victoria airport and haul the first 3 riders in my F150.
    Last edited by vikb; 09-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't have anything else scheduled for those dates yet, so I will put them in my calendar 😁. I will most likely have my van and could pick people up at the Vancouver airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm keen to join for Harbourview and Tzou. I'll also throw the offer out for some Prevost laps one day in the event anyone might enjoy some DH action on the off chance the gate might still be open.

mtbr member
    Interested. I should put this on my calendar as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Interested as well! Wouldn't be able to ride every day as I'd have the wife and kids with me and we would need to spend some family time exploring the area. I usually book and confirm holidays for the year around January.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Interested. I should put this on my calendar as a possibility.
    Cool. We have lots of great riding here to share with you!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couleecruiser View Post
    Interested as well! Wouldn't be able to ride every day as I'd have the wife and kids with me and we would need to spend some family time exploring the area. I usually book and confirm holidays for the year around January.
    Everywhere we would go there are other non-bikey things to do. So your family would have a great time as well and you can ride as much as makes sense. We could also work out a short early morning rip if that was cool to get you out on the trails before you do family stuff the rest of the day.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Cool. We have lots of great riding here to share with you!
    Oh, I have no doubt that the island riding is good. I've seen your pictures. It's just the opportunity cost that makes me hesitate at all. There's sooooo much super amazing riding in North Van/Squamish/Whistler (not to mention Pemby and the Chilcotins) that it's really hard to pass that up when I'm that close.

I guess that gives me an excuse to come back for another trip.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Island is more laid back and cooler than is the shit show the mainland is, especially north of Naniamo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The Island is more laid back and cooler than is the shit show the mainland is, especially north of Naniamo
    I just remembered there's an Optometry Conference I could attend in Victoria in July which would allow me to expense the travel at least. This year it was on July 13-16 so depending on when it's scheduled for 2018 I could dovetail the two "conferences" into the same trip. Hmm.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I just remembered there's an Optometry Conference I could attend in Victoria in July which would allow me to expense the travel at least. This year it was on July 13-16 so depending on when it's scheduled for 2018 I could dovetail the two "conferences" into the same trip. Hmm.
    We can probably adjust the dates if needed to make it work. We are far enough out.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    It's true. Just remember to charge all your devices when you head north. They don't have power or running water yet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    In all seriousness if folks want to do a BC Knollyfest, but would prefer mainland locations I am totally good with that and happy to attend. I'd leave the Pemby and south stuff for someone with better local knowledge to organize.

If folks want to hit the Chilcotins I've done a bunch of riding up there and could organize rides in that area. For the hassle of getting people over the Hurley FSR and back it wouldn't be worth spending less than 3 days in the Chilcotins IMO. And all the rides would be epics in terms of climbing/pedalling.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    After doing a little research the wife and I are definately planning to visit the island next summer. If there is a knollyfest that would just be icing on the cake! For now I will just watch the forum till you locals decide when and where and will try book our plans accordingly.

mtbr member
    After doing a little research the wife and I are definately planning to visit the island next summer. If there is a knollyfest that would just be icing on the cake! For now I will just watch the forum till you locals decide when and where and will try book our plans accordingly.
    Even if there wasn't a Knollyfest when you came to Van Isle there are a bunch of local Knolly riders always happy to show people around our trails. Just holler when you have some dates.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Yebo Numzaan
    Hell yeagh! Local dudes showing me the goods. Vancouver Island. Sounds rad.

Even had some good Canadian microbrews recently 😳

Putting my name in a lot of hats for next yr so gotta be tentative till later

Thanks Vik!

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Hell yeagh! Local dudes showing me the goods. Vancouver Island. Sounds rad.

Even had some good Canadian microbrews recently 

Putting my name in a lot of hats for next yr so gotta be tentative till later

Thanks Vik!

Dave

No worries. When you have some dates just let us know.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My local trails.

[flashembed][flashembed]

mtbr member
    I'm interested. I am in the middle of changing my business structure and services we provide for the sole intent that after 18 years I want the ability to take time off and enjoy life. Riding after/before work and weekends is great however I've had the chance this summer to take a couple trips with the main focus on biking, now all I think about is where should I go next.

I'm in the middle of a full remodel of the house which I am doing myself so we can air bnb it or just sell it and get a small house in town, wife and kid are in an apartment while that's happening. I have a trans son in high school starting hormone therapy, my wife is working 12 hour shifts at the hospital and trying to finish her masters. I don't know which end is up half the time and the only time everything stops is when I ride. So I've been riding a lot. The house should be done hopefully by spring time. I'll find out next week if they want to due another surgery on my knee and when, that would be the only hangup I think.

If I make it, I'm going to want to drink a lot of beer. And I don't drink often. I might even want to go do some of that fishing too. And I might get stupid on my bike so we need a good bike shop or a big parts bin. Possibly a hospital withing a few hours drive. Maybe I'll throw together a box of parts to bring along. It's a long drive for me, but I like driving. Hopefully they let me across the border

mtbr member
    Wow you have a lot on your plate. I'm glad you are getting out riding when you can.

Whenever it works out just give us some notice. We have beer, trails and lots of spare parts on the island.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ride On
    @sherwin24 Damn I thought I was "busy". Dude, without a hint of sarcasm sending some good energy vibes your way.

mtbr member
    We can probably adjust the dates if needed to make it work. We are far enough out.
    I've got an email in to the organizers to see what the dates are for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks geraldooka and vikb

I think everyone is busy, it's how life is. Just a lot of changes that are taking time for everything to settle in. The apartment is close to school so my son now rides his bike to and from school, which saves me a trip of picking him up. It was a completely disorganized chaos all summer but now that school is back in and set schedules, things are finding their place. Maybe it was your good vibes

Edit: I'll be open to any dates which fit everyones schedule. My schedule can be pretty flexible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It's true! I live and ride on the North Shore but am so impressed by Island riding. We had an absolutely banger day in Cumberland. Riding fast with old friends in perfect conditions. The kid is riding the Stevie Smith classic DH today in horendous condition. Sounds like a pretty gnarly course too.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    I think everyone is busy, it's how life is.
    I keep things purposely not busy

mtbr member
    I keep things purposely not busy
    Smart man!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Its a lot off work... keeping things off your plate, you know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Its a lot off work... keeping things off your plate, you know.
    Although Travis schools me with zero days of work/week I have been trying hard to get it down to working only Mon-Tues-Wed. Four days off a week is a start. It's not retirement, but at least I can see Travis' world from here.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Man, I'm hoping to get there once my wife's making good money. I had this thought when I was in my early twenties that I should enjoy life while I could and so I worked enough to get by and live life. I didn't think I would still be this active going on fifty. So the early days of funding my retirement came later. Didn't think that one through too well. Can't say I would necessarily change it, but I would have at least worked and saved more then. Oh well, I ride a Knolly, life could be worse 😉

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If by any chance I haven't moved from WA yet I'm game. Sounds like an awesome time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds pretty awesome! I wish it wasn't such a drive from AZ!

mtbr member
    Basically what the event would look like: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/weeken...er-island.html
    Ha, ha. Just watched the video. I don't think I can hang (a little rusty on my suicide no handers and back flips)..... although I am kinda excited about the tattoos.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sharp7 View Post
    Sounds pretty awesome! I wish it wasn't such a drive from AZ!
    We are headed down to Sedona in early Oct via Gooseberry. Easy drive. Just an excuse to eat tacos and listen to tunes. You can do it!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Great! I plan on riding more in Sedona this winter! As close as I am there's no excuse I haven't been there more, other than I'm satisfied and spoiled with my home area (Prescott) trails

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    We are headed down to Sedona in early Oct via Gooseberry. Easy drive. Just an excuse to eat tacos and listen to tunes. You can do it!
    Don't need an excuse to eat tacos....ever! LOL. Gooseberry is pretty spectacular! Been there once and plan on making at least an annual trip since it's 1. Only a 6 hr drive and 2. Two of my daughters live near by!

Also....if you plan on being in the St George area long enough for another ride....and you like the slick rock type gnarly stuff....then check out Zen trail. I rode that once, and all though it was a little over my head, it was pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    My family and I are planning to rent a cabin in Parksville for a couple weeks and use that as our base for exploring the island. Won't be able to book till December or so. Unless I hear other dates we will likely go with the last 2 weeks of July as proposed earlier in this thread.

mtbr member
    My family and I are planning to rent a cabin in Parksville for a couple weeks and use that as our base for exploring the island. Won't be able to book till December or so. Unless I hear other dates we will likely go with the last 2 weeks of July as proposed earlier in this thread.
    Awesome. Parksville is a nice location to explore from.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Love the riding at Parksville. This isn't it, but is close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vancouver Island Knollyfest 2018 Summer?-20170924_164153.jpg  

mtbr member

Looks like my conference is July 13-15 so the 16-22 would work better for me. But I'm not 100% certain I can make it so don't reschedule around me unless those dates don't affect anyone else.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Looks like my conference is July 13-15 so the 16-22 would work better for me. But I'm not 100% certain I can make it so don't reschedule around me unless those dates don't affect anyone else.
    I'm fine with KRob's proposed dates. Anyone likely to come who can't do 16-22 July 2018?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    So my lbs is less than a year old, and frequently has amazing sales. As in 45% off. Being Dutch I like to stock up when sales are good. That being said, what's a good tire combo to run on the island for Knolly-fest? Currently running dhf in front and hr2 out back. Love the hr2 out back but feel dhf isn't so predictable especially cornering. I'm considering the Forekaster to replace the dhf simply due to the more random knob pattern which should mean more predictability through corners.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Dhf/hr2 works very well for me on the wet coast. I run the dhf year-round but typically run something faster rolling on the back in dry summer conditions. Forecaster would likely work very well too.

mtbr member
    That being said, what's a good tire combo to run on the island for Knolly-fest? Currently running dhf in front and hr2 out back. Love the hr2 out back but feel dhf isn't so predictable especially cornering. I'm considering the Forekaster to replace the dhf simply due to the more random knob pattern which should mean more predictability through corners.

I love Conti Trail Kings in 2.4" width, which is bigger than a 2.5" Maxxis casing. It has knobs across the full width of the casing unlike the channel on the DHF between the outside and middle knobs.

Their overall grip is really excellent particularly in the winter. As a bonus the big casing is super comfortable and rolls very fast.

My buddy who owns a LBS and rides all the tires likes TKs for road trips because they work well everywhere.

I tried the TK in 2.2" width and didn't care for it, but then I am not inclined to enjoy pizza cutters.

I liked the E.13 TRS tires I had on a demo bike. I am sort of hoping they'll come out with a 2.4" or 2.5" version when production gets sorted out. In the meantime they only come in 2.35" [not Maxxis 2.35" a real 2.35" width casing] and they are hard to find due to production issues.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm a bit of a tire whore. The E13 TRSr is probably my favorite front tire of all ages. Threw one on the front of my Warden (Nox Kitsuma rim) before a 2 week August trip to Pisgah that turned into a wet root and gnar fest. The tire did quite splendid and saved me multiple times from certain doom. Been riding it in NM since and super happy with it. Heading to Sedona tomorrow for a week, we'll see how it does there. On this same set-up I've tried the 2.35 MM, 2.5 DHF WT and 2.4 DHR2 WT up front, like the E13 more.

I may be down for this Vancouver Knolly fest, just have to get some passport issues worked out. Looking at that Vid, I'd better get to the dirt jump park and iron out my back flips and shit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by High_Plains_Drifter View Post
    I'm a bit of a tire whore. The E13 TRSr is probably my favorite front tire of all ages.
    You'll be happy with the E.13 in Sedona. Have a great trip.

If you make it to the Fat Tire bike shop tell Dave Vik says hi!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    So my lbs is less than a year old, and frequently has amazing sales. As in 45% off. Being Dutch I like to stock up when sales are good. That being said, what's a good tire combo to run on the island for Knolly-fest? Currently running dhf in front and hr2 out back. Love the hr2 out back but feel dhf isn't so predictable especially cornering. I'm considering the Forekaster to replace the dhf simply due to the more random knob pattern which should mean more predictability through corners.

Its extremely rare that a DHF does not take care of business up front. It was made specifically as a front tire for aggressive riding and aggressive cornering.

Leaning it a bit more in turns to get the side knobs to engage makes it carve even better.

The Forekaster is a good tire but not in the same league as the DHF for cornering up front.

If the DHF ain't working well for a rider, chances are it ain't the tire.
    Last edited by Miker J; 11-12-2017 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    I found the DHF great as a front tire, but the dual DHF combo was slow. I wouldn't call it unpredictable on either end of the bike though. It felt pretty locked in on corners.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Its extremely rare that a DHF does not take care of business up front. It was made specifically as a front tire for aggressive riding and aggressive cornering.

Leaning it a bit more in turns to get the side knobs to engage makes it carve even better.

The Forekaster is a good tire but not in the same league as the DHF for cornering up front.

It the DHF ain't working well for a rider, chances are it ain't the tire.
    It's probably the rider. I have less than half a summer on a real mountain bike so there is lots I am learning. The only time I was uncomfortable on the dhf was an off camber loose turn. Probably just bad technique on my part. The reason I find the forekaster interesting is rather than having center and cornering knobs it's has them more evenly spread and i shouldn't feel any transfer. Only 6 more months till the trails here are rideable again and I can get more saddle time.

Keep on Rockin...
    It's probably the rider. I have less than half a summer on a real mountain bike so there is lots I am learning. The only time I was uncomfortable on the dhf was an off camber loose turn. Probably just bad technique on my part. The reason I find the forekaster interesting is rather than having center and cornering knobs it's has them more evenly spread and i shouldn't feel any transfer. Only 6 more months till the trails here are rideable again and I can get more saddle time.

Leave the DHF on up front. No question. Really.

About the only way you'll get more front tire is a Magic Mary.

The Forekaster is not even in the same league as those two tires.

Make sure you are running proper psi, but even when over inflated the DHF still hooks up.

Search the web wit Maxxis DHF review and you'll see.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/maxxis...view-2014.html

https://www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-maxxis-minion-dhf/

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...ion-dhf-3c-exo

There is a reason other tire makers are doing a tire that resembles the DHF. Spec Butcher, and the E13 are two examples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Vikb, or anyone else who knows, what do you recommend for campsites near by? We are looking at our options as far as cabins vs hotels vs campsites. We tent, and with the physical exertion of biking and 3 young kids, having shower and bathroom facilities is a must. If we do camp, the wife wants ocean views.

mtbr member
    Vikb, or anyone else who knows, what do you recommend for campsites near by? We are looking at our options as far as cabins vs hotels vs campsites. We tent, and with the physical exertion of biking and 3 young kids, having shower and bathroom facilities is a must. If we do camp, the wife wants ocean views.
    So based on the schedule posted in the OP we'd be looking at:

- Days 1-3 based out of the Victoria area
    - Day 4 travel up to Cumberland area
    - Days 5-7 based out of Cumberland

I can think of a few ocean side campgrounds on the south end of the island, but they all have pit toilets and no showers. If you google map RV park and Victoria several options near the water show up. I have not been to any of them, but I would expect they'd have showers. The Victoria Howard Johnson's and Red Lion are both a short bike ride from my house. So if you wanted to hotel it for Victoria that might be an idea and then camp up in Cumberland.

I can host a few people in my backyard in tents while we are in Victoria. I've got a small house with a single bathroom so it's not going to work for too many folks. But the backyard deck area is nice and there will be a BBQ and tools to keep the bikes running.

Up in Cumberland I was thinking of camping at Comox Lake. There is a nice campground there with showers and toilets. We can ride right from the campground, which is nice. It's not on the ocean though. I would book a group camp site so people didn't have to bother trying to sort out the camping.

https://www.cumberlandlakepark.ca/

There is also a hostel in Cumby with dorm rooms and private rooms if people didn't want to camp. There are of course even nicer options if people wanted something more deluxe than a hostel.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Right on. Red lion looks decent, campground looks like my kids would love it! We would probably get a private site as we are planning to stay for an extra week. When did you want to start confirming dates and people and such?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Sounds like a great plan all around. I will do my best to make it happen. Love the riding in Cumberland and it would be sweet to ride with some local Knolly owners.

Couley, if your wife wants to see the ocean there's a nice park not far from Cumberland called miracle beach. You can camp there and they do have showers, but it would be fun if you camped with the rest of us.

mtbr member
    When did you want to start confirming dates and people and such?
    Well I've got 21-29 July 2018 in my calendar. As long as 1 other Knolly owner shows up I'll be happy to take the week off work and ride the island.

I'll book the Cumby group site as soon as reservations open in 2018.

Beyond that just keep me posted if you are coming or not.

I can haul 3 other folks around in my truck and I can grab folks from the airport if you want to fly in and not spend $$ on a rental or if your lady wants the car to sightsee with the family.

For the Victoria part of the event I can host ~4 people camping in my yard. I have a big yard so we can do post-ride BBQ and beer sessions there every day.

I don't plan on doing anything fancier than:

- eat
    - ride
    - beer
    - eat
    - beer
    - fix bikes
    - sleep
    - repeat

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Something pretty serious would have to happen for us not to come. My wife rides a Liv, which I suppose can be forgiven as we had never heard of Knolly at the time. Unfortunately we can't ride together as one of us needs to watch the kids. They would be 7, 5 and 5 next summer. They all love single track too but prefer the flater xc type terrain. I have no problem camping with you guys, we have a small cargo trailer to haul stuff but camp in a good size wall tent. I appreciate the tips for family activities as well! Vic, maybe your gf can get some other women together to show my wife a few trails?

mtbr member
    My GF wouldn't mind showing someone around our local trails down in Victoria on the first weekend or after work during the week. She doesn't have a lot of holidays so she'll be free on the weekends and after 5pm weekdays. We'd just have to make sure your wife was free to ride at a time my GF was available.

The only issue here is that there is no easy riding so it would be a techy steep ride. Mellow trails on the South Island are in short supply.

The local ladies' MTB club has regular rides Sat at 10am and Tues/Thurs at 6pm in Victoria.

We can chat specifics once the dates are getting closer.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Another campground to check out is Living Forest in Nanaimo. Great ocean views and could act as a midpoint between all of the rides. Cheers J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I think island view beach in between Sidney and vic has a good campsite right on the water but its not showered. Thetis lake campsite is pretty good too, and Goldstream is probably the best all round family camp spot but its not ocean view. But it is located in an amazing forrest with hot showers and toilets. Or if you camped out towards Sooke , sunny shores is on the water with facilities as is the Sooke flats. All good options in my mind. All these spots are what I would call reasonable traveling distance to the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    HoJo is likely a more kid-friendly option than the Red Lion, though the RL has a nice gentleman's club!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by home_piece View Post
    HoJo is likely a more kid-friendly option than the Red Lion, though the RL has a nice gentleman's club!
    You have to work pretty hard to get into trouble at the Red Lion as a kid staying in the hotel. There are hookers working near the HoJo, but that wouldn't make me fear for my kid either.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Indoor pool vs. no indoor pool + peelers. More kid-friendly vs. not as kid friendly (while neither nothing to fear)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by home_piece View Post
    Indoor pool vs. no indoor pool + peelers. More kid-friendly vs. not as kid friendly (while neither nothing to fear)
    The outdoor pool at the Red Lion with peelers sounds like a feature.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Would you guys recommend a bash gaurd for vanisle trails? I pretty much always have my warden in neutral, ie high bb hight, and am surprised I haven't smashed my chainring on the rougher trails I've riden.

Yebo Numzaan
    What percentage of your ancestors were savages? If > 5% yes. Else no. Me = yes.

mtbr member
    I'm from the island...own a Knolly...and wouldn't miss this fest! In my calendar Vik and looking forward to showing some out of town Knation'ers the local goods!

On tires, I couldn't fault the DHF for cornering grip for Vancouver/Victoria area trails. As good as anything I've ridden. Now I'm on to the Addix Nic's and find they are faster in a straight line and don't give up much in the corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    I'm from the island...own a Knolly...and wouldn't miss this fest! In my calendar Vik and looking forward to showing some out of town Knation'ers the local goods!.
    Awesome. I'll take quality over quantity any day! It'll be a fun week.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Would you guys recommend a bash gaurd for vanisle trails? I pretty much always have my warden in neutral, ie high bb hight, and am surprised I haven't smashed my chainring on the rougher trails I've riden.

I run a Blackspire [Made in Canada Eh!] taco style bashguard on the Endo. It's taken many hits. That said it's lower than my small [28T] chainring so you might say the rocks would never have hit the ring and you might be right, but for the peace of mind when I am far from the trailhead it seems like a worthwhile bit of gear to use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I'm still hoping to make it to this. I see there is a Sedona Knollfest too, so many decisions...

Hit a big ass deer with my Element about a month ago and totaled that sucker out. Yeah Elements are ugly in some regards but damn that thing worked for what I needed it for. I could sleep in it, sit on the tailgate and enjoy a sandwich, throw the bike in it for a quick trip or use the hitch mount for carrying more bikes. That vehicle was as versatile as the Endo and gave me the wanton desire to just go, explore, live off the fat of the land....but now that book is closed.

Looked at buying another, but it's kind of like that first gf thing, it won't be the same. I scoured the internet, drove a few, none had the panache that mine had. I grieved, tried to replace, sought solace in another, but it wasn't the same.

So what did I do? Went and p*** pounded a bunch of worthy candidates, rode em' hard and put em' away wet. For 3 weeks this went on, got to the point I didn't even want to do it anymore. Test rides were scheduled, people calling wanting me to beat the snot out of what they had and enjoy it, hoping I would come back for more.... mentally and physically exhausting.

My wife drives a Subaru Outback and it has served her well, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. It dawned on me, I had to find a vehicle she loved, let her drive it regularly, then she will let me find a vehicle I love without any questions (I long for another VW Bus no matter how many times they need a valve adjustment going cross country). Drove a Ford Escape with 2.0 Ecoboost and damn...that has her name all over it. Trailer hitch allows me to haul bikes but I can't sleep in the damn thing. In fact I'm not even sure what the damn thing is. Might show up at one of the Knollfest's in it. Or might have a VW Bus. Either way I'll be showing up at one, just don't expect me or plan on me. I live off the fat of the land anyway so I don't need much accommodations wise (carry Ramen noodles, water, and stove, apples, veggies, rations, etc).

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Mm. Howe Sound Rail Ale Nut Brown! Excited for the beer almost as much as the biking!

mtbr member
    Mm. Howe Sound Rail Ale Nut Brown! Excited for the beer almost as much as the biking!
    Don't worry. When you come for Knollyfest we'll get you some tasty island beer!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sherwin24 View Post
    I'm still hoping to make it to this. I see there is a Sedona Knollfest too, so many decisions...
    I'm glad you weren't hurt in the deer incident. Let me know if you are coming to the island once summer rolls around.

FWIW - the March 2018 Knollyfest is in Utah not Arizona [Sedona].
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Don't worry. When you come for Knollyfest we'll get you some tasty island beer!
    Island beer is better than Squamish beer?

mtbr member
    Island beer is better than Squamish beer?
    You are asking an Islander...of course it is!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes! One of my favorite beers. Pretty great selection of craft brews on the Island though, so not to worry!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Next week Tuesday I book holidays for the coming year. Planning to spend July 14 to 27 on the island. I hope to participate in as many knollyfest rides as my legs and lungs can handle. As an outdoorsy kinda family we are all looking forward to experiencing the beauty of the island!

mtbr member
    Next week Tuesday I book holidays for the coming year. Planning to spend July 14 to 27 on the island. I hope to participate in as many knollyfest rides as my legs and lungs can handle. As an outdoorsy kinda family we are all looking forward to experiencing the beauty of the island!
    Sounds great. I'm off from 19 July 2018. I can meet up and show you around after work before I'm off if you aren't doing family stuff.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    How many hours a day do you guys ride during a knolly fest?

mtbr member
    How many hours a day do you guys ride during a knolly fest?
    For Van Isle we'll probably shoot for 2.5hr - 4hr rides with decent rest breaks. We'll see who turns up and how folks are feeling. We can provide bail out options if someone isn't feeling like they want to do the whole ride one day.

I figure if folks are planning to ride everyday for a week+ it's best to find a pace/effort level they can maintain the whole time vs. going nuts the first couple days and burning out or getting hurt. And of course rest days are an option.

What are your thoughts on ride duration/distance?
    Last edited by vikb; 01-31-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That sounds about right to me. We have to leave some time to drink beer 😉

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Sounds perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    We have to leave some time to drink beer 
    Most definitely.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Now that Knollyfest Utah is done, how about we build up some stoke for this event! Who is planning to go? What rigs are you bringing? Anyone else bringing family with? (not to worry, the wife is planning rides with Dirty Girlz when I'm not riding and will be taking the kids when I'm on the Warden. We have booked Goldstream campground the week before and week of this Knollyfest!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Count me in with my Warden. Vik, RU going to book the group site in Cumberland?
    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out on this side of the straight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Count me in with my Warden. Vik, RU going to book the group site in Cumberland?
    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out on this side of the straight.
    I'll book Cumby camping. I'm just waiting to see how many folks look like they are interested. Thanks for the offer of some help. At the moment I don't think there is anything super hard to take care of.

If anyone plans to camp in my backyard for the initial few days we ride the south island just let me know.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What rigs are you bringing?
    I may have addressed this earlier, but figured it was worth a recap. The bikes I'd bring to the island would be:

- Endo [any version]
    - Warden
    - Fug

Island riding tends to be either slower and very techy/steep or smoother and faster. We don't have too many sections of high speed chunk where a big bike would really shine and we won't be seeking out the few freeride/DH trails we've got on the island.

There are no shuttles. We'll be climbing for all our descents. So you'll want a bike you are happy to point uphill and crank for an hour or so. Climbs will be a mix of singletrack and fireroad grinds.

We'll be be going a social pace so you don't have to be at Rampage level DH skills or World Cup XC level fitness. That said the technical level of the riding will be challenging and as the days add up the riding will be a physical challenge.

A typical ride will be ~3hrs if we keep moving or a bit longer if we need to regroup/take rest breaks frequently. If we have some hammerheads and some more chill riders we can do an initial ride as a group and then the folks that want more riding can tag on a bit extra.

Ultimately we'll make sure everyone has fun.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Where's the closest shop that has Knolly rentals?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sharp7 View Post
    Where's the closest shop that has Knolly rentals?
    I've never heard of any Knolly rentals on Van Isle.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've never heard of any Knolly rentals on Van Isle.
    Vancouver?

mtbr member
    What are your thoughts on ride duration/distance?
    Start early, ride til dark. Sit up talking, eating and drinking beer 'til midnight. Repeat x 5 days. At least that's what we did at the SW Knollyfest

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I may have addressed this earlier, but figured it was worth a recap. The bikes I'd bring to the island would be:

- Endo [any version]
    - Warden
    - Fug

Island riding tends to be either slower and very techy/steep or smoother and faster. We don't have too many sections of high speed chunk where a big bike would really shine and we won't be seeking out the few freeride/DH trails we've got on the island.

There are no shuttles. We'll be climbing for all our descents. So you'll want a bike you are happy to point uphill and crank for an hour or so. Climbs will be a mix of singletrack and fireroad grinds.

We'll be be going a social pace so you don't have to be at Rampage level DH skills or World Cup XC level fitness. That said the technical level of the riding will be challenging and as the days add up the riding will be a physical challenge.

A typical ride will be ~3hrs if we keep moving or a bit longer if we need to regroup/take rest breaks frequently. If we have some hammerheads and some more chill riders we can do an initial ride as a group and then the folks that want more riding can tag on a bit extra.

Ultimately we'll make sure everyone has fun.
    So in other words, perfect for a Delirium. Great! I'll bring it!
    '04 Knolly VTach | '15 Knolly Podium | '16 Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    So in other words, perfect for a Delirium. Great! I'll bring it!
    Ha ha. I was thinking the same thing...... for you, I mean. Delirium: The perfect all trail bike for strong people.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast