New to the KNation! - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,023 of 1023
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    That is horrible news, my thoughts are with his family.

mtbr member
    Very sorry to hear as well. I loved his passion and although I never met him he seemed like a very genuine guy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    NO! That is terrible news. I had the pleasure of following Jerry on his home trails during Knolly fest last year. He was a gentleman and a ripper, and so passionate about mountain biking. He sure seemed to be enjoying riding his Fugitive recently. I had hoped to get up to Cumberland and ride with him again. Such a huge loss.

Condolences to Jerry's family and friends.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That's sad...
    RIP Jerry

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member

To make matters worse FB kept reminding me it was Jerry's birthday yesterday.

Photo from early days when I knew Jerry and he was riding a Turner before his KNation days.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

X-posting here as I figured it would be of interest to KNation members.

Jerry's obituary is here and provides some information about his non-MTB life:

https://thestarphoenix.remembering.c...ers-1075819571

There will be a service/celebration in Cumberland for 24 Aug 2019. I don't have any details at this time.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I went up to Cumberland for Jerry's [aka Legbacon aka Travis Bickle] Celebration of Life on the weekend. His Knolly was on display. Still dirty with its bars twisted from his last crash.

We rode Blockhead his favourite trail and where he passed away.

It was great to connect with his family and friends and the trails he loved so much.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

The rains have come to the PNWet/Coastal BC so it's time to unleash my Endo again. I had an elbow injury last winter so my riding mileage was lower than normal. On the plus side that meant the Endo didn't take too much attention to get back into riding shape.

I just cleaned/lubed it and adjusted pressures in fork/shock & tires.

After half the year on wagon wheels it felt weird to be on the smaller hoops, but by the end of the ride everything felt normal. I do enjoy the bigger wheels, but if you said I had to ride 26/275 for the rest of my MTB career I wouldn't be too upset as long as I could use high volume tires.

Sliding around on the trails I was working on remembering my winter riding skills. It's funny how mid-winter we shred at pretty close to full fury, but when we transition from summer to winter riding everything seems so slippery for a few rides until it doesn't any more and our brains/reflexes figure it out again.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I've been kind of tempted to grab one of these Army Green Wardens and move my parts over from the Endo. Not due to any dissatisfaction with the Endo...just for something different to play around with.

Although the frames are on sale right now it's still a pretty good chunk of $$ just to swap to a different, but similar frame so I'll probably resist the urge. It would be fun though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

New to the KNation!

Iíve been tempted as well. Everything would swap over from my Endo. Even my fork can be easily adjusted to 160mm.

I double dog dare you! If you do, I will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Iíve been tempted as well. Everything would swap over from my Endo. Even my fork can be easily adjusted to 160mm.

I double dog dare you! If you do, I will.
    Sadly or perhaps luckily they are all sold out in the Large size I'd need. What size are you riding? They do have Mediums and XLs still.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Sadly or perhaps luckily they are all sold out in the Large size I'd need. What size are you riding? They do have Mediums and XLs still.
    Large also. I guess we dodged that bullet...er, I mean waited too long.

Edit: On closer examination, they do have a large Snow Camo in the Carbon for $1525 w/o shock. Does the V1 Warden take the same shock as the Chilcotin? I have an extra CC DB Air laying around. Hmmm.

Last edited by KRob; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Edit: On closer examination, they do have a large Snow Camo in the Carbon for $1525 w/o shock. Does the V1 Warden take the same shock as the Chilcotin? I have an extra CC DB Air laying around. Hmmm.
    I don't know the answer to that. Once I get to $1500USD w/o shock it's way too much $$ for a lateral upgrade. It starts to make sense to look at new frames. I don't want to go Superboost so my wallet is safe there as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Along similar lines maybe next year will swap parts from the Endo to a new Warden frame. Only would need a new rear hub.

Lots of very unbuff riding these days, not high speed, but need lots of traction. Thinking a 275x2.8, which the new Warden can fit I hear, might be better.

Any advice from those running 2.8s?

Id not choose at puffy a tire for fast, parky riding, but for rock crawling type with super steep, techy climbs...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Id not choose at puffy a tire for fast, parky riding, but for rock crawling type with super steep, techy climbs...
    I've had a 29+ bike for backcountry riding for years and love really wide tires on unmaintained variable terrain. We've ridden them as hard as we are capable given there are no berms or MTB specific trail features and they've been great.

I just had a custom 29+ frame built with modern geo to take the wide tire format forward. So I'm committed to wide tires.

I'm not familiar with the 27+ tire options, but there should be some good choices in that size.

Nice thing with frames that have clearance for wider tires is you can always run something less than max width if you want to.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I'm getting settled into riding the Endo for the winter. So much fun and so capable for its travel. I did a semi-backcountry ride yesterday. Lots of wet roots, mossy rocks and steep unmaintained rocky chunk. The Endo blasted through without a second thought.

I've got the rear 4x4 suspension feeling pretty good now. I'm going to play around with the Pike a bit to get the tune to match the back end. I've got a MRP Ramp Control cartridge I used for a while and then took out. I may give that another shot or just play around with how many volume spacers I have inside the fork. It's not bad, but it's not as nice as the back end yet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Large also. I guess we dodged that bullet...er, I mean waited too long.

Yes, they do...7.875x2.25 iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Along similar lines maybe next year will swap parts from the Endo to a new Warden frame. Only would need a new rear hub.

Lots of very unbuff riding these days, not high speed, but need lots of traction. Thinking a 275x2.8, which the new Warden can fit I hear, might be better.

Any advice from those running 2.8s?

I've had a 29+ bike for backcountry riding for years and love really wide tires on unmaintained variable terrain. We've ridden them as hard as we are capable given there are no berms or MTB specific trail features and they've been great.

I just had a custom 29+ frame built with modern geo to take the wide tire format forward. So I'm committed to wide tires.

I'm not familiar with the 27+ tire options, but there should be some good choices in that size.

Nice thing with frames that have clearance for wider tires is you can always run something less than max width if you want to.

I think I've seen some wardens with 2.8s...I fit some 2.8 Rekons on the endorphin for a bit too.

mtbr member

We've done some wet riding on the island lately. Including some surprisingly heavily flooded trails. Waterproof shoes are great right until they go under the surface and fill up with icy cold water!

I'm not sure if this fall/winter has been slicker than most, but it feels like it is taking me longer to get my winter riding skills dialled than other years. Could just be my bad memory playing tricks on me!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

orthonormal

We've done some wet riding on the island lately. Including some surprisingly heavily flooded trails. Waterproof shoes are great right until they go under the surface and fill up with icy cold water!

I'm not sure if this fall/winter has been slicker than most, but it feels like it is taking me longer to get my winter riding skills dialled than other years. Could just be my bad memory playing tricks on me!
    Beautiful photo!
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member

Wow. Trail conditions went from slippery as heck winter mode to hero dirt summer mode in one week of dry weather. It's frosty out, but traction is perfect.

I installed some Togs thumb grips on the bars. They are nice for long rolling sections or steady climbs to switch up the hand positions and still stay well connected to the bars.

I also replaced the 15+ year old pedals on the Endo with some fresh Race Face Chesters. Nothing fancy, but they have sharp pins and spin smoothly.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

New to the KNation!

Looks great Vik. I love the post-first snow drying out perfect dirt season. We havenít had it yet. Still dry even up to 12000í. Nuts for this late.

I also finally replaced my worn out Spank Oozyís. Iíd already rebuilt them a couple times but thereís some pretty nice pedals in the $50-60 range now, so spending $30-40 on a rebuild kit didnít make sense.

I considered the Chesters but ended up going with the OneUp Components plastic pedals. They both received good reviews, but the OneUps were lighter. Iím hard on pedals. Weíll see how long they hold up.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Looks great Vik. I love the post-first snow drying out perfect dirt season. We havenít had it yet. Still dry even up to 12000í. Nuts for this late.

I also finally replaced my worn out Spank Oozyís. Iíd already rebuilt them a couple times but thereís some pretty nice pedals in the $50-60 range now, so spending $30-40 on a rebuild kit didnít make sense.

I considered the Chesters but ended up going with the OneUp Components plastic pedals. They both received good reviews, but the OneUps were lighter. Iím hard on pedals. Weíll see how long they hold up.
    We put One Up composite pedals on my GF's 29er. They seem nice no issues so far, but it's early days. She's got ~1.5 years on a set of Chesters that are still going strong.

The weights of these pedals are the same within a few grams. 355g for One Ups and 340g or 360g for the Chesters depending which version you have.

I do have some Spike Spank pedals I like so I'll rebuild them until the body or axles get damaged. I scored some cheap bearing kits and they are nice enough to keep going for a few more years.

Buying new pedals it's hard to get motivated to spend the $$ on metal pedals vs. composite. As long as the composite pedals are durable. I get a decent number of pedal strikes on the Endo so it will be a good test.

I'm kind of excited for us to get some snow on the coast. I really like snow riding and it's rare for it to be deep enough to stop us from shredding the trails. It also only lasts a few days to a couple weeks so it's very brief.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

I had a DOH! moment recently. My spidey senses were tingling and I meant to check all my Endo suspension hardware, but I didn't. Then middle of a ride I decide to do so and find I've lost a bolt and nut on the swing link.

Total operator error.

I'm highly attuned to any play/looseness/clunking in my bike and on my other bikes [dual link or 4-bar] a loose pivot you be screaming at me for attention long before I lost the hardware completely. With Knolly's 4x4 these pivots can loosen and the hardware go missing with the bike still feeling "normal". So ya don't be like me and check your bikes!

Geraldooka was very kind and pulled the missing parts from his Endo so I could ride last weekend. Lucky for me he is a hardtail hardman at the moment!

I contacted Knolly and they looked after me well. I got two spares from the mothership so I could replace the missing parts and put an extra set into my Endo spares box for roadtrips.

Thanks Geraldooka and Knolly for getting me rolling again quickly!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456