New to the family- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

New to the family

I guess not 100% new, since I owned a Delirium-T for awhile a couple years back. Just added a Warden to the stable.

IMG_0666 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_0667 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

I had some nice 650b parts left over from a prior rig and had a desire to have a solid 650b trail bike to accompany my Enduro 29.

The biggest dilemma, for me, was sizing. I'm 6'2 with about a 35-inch cycling inseam, a short-ish torso and monkey arms. I'm at the top end of Large according to Knolly's official sizing. Spoke to Dusty, who suggested XL. However, looking at the numbers relative to my E29, it seemed like the Large would work OK, albeit with a good amount of seat post showing. Plus I got a good deal on a used Large frame, so I went that way.

Assembled Friday and took a really short shakedown run at Phoenix Mountain Preserves this morning.

Setup: 2015 Fox Float 34, currently set at 150, but will be returning it to 160. LB/Hope carbon wheelset, 1x10, etc. As shown (pedals, real tires, etc.) it weighs 30 pounds on the nose (bathroom scale method).

Fitment was actually pretty good with a 70mm stem. Honestly, I could ride an XL, too, with a shorter stem; that might be a better fit overall, but no knee or back pain with the large so it seems OK. What I did notice? The really short bar height (is this stack?). Even with a grip of spacers under the stem, the bars are more than 2 inches lower than my E29. Some riser bars might be in order.

Pretty soon to have any real ride insights. Climbing was pretty normal for what I'm used to. It didn't ride itself uphill, but traction was exceptional and the bike pedaled slightly lighter than you'd think. Descending was a little hit or miss for a first ride. I managed to drop the chain about 50 feet after dropping in, but didn't know until I went to pedal and got a surprise. Looks like I can probably remove another link. Actually lawn-darted another section that I just rode yesterday. The bike does get up to speed in a hurry. I think I just need to get used to the lower bar height. For reference, I rode in what I believe was slack mode; shock in the rearmost lower hole.

What I did notice was incessant creaking from the pivots. Mostly under pedaling load, but also off the saddle, not pedaling, going downhill.

I pulled the shock when I got home and found this on the shock bolts.

IMG_0669 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

With the shock removed, I wasn't able to replicate the creaking in the pivots with the bike in the stand.

Plan to run it down National trail tomorrow to get a better idea of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very strange wear on that top bolt for just one ride. Please keep me posted on your creak and the bolts.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Used frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd replace that bolt...and welcome (back) to the club!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Not much new to report today. Got halfway up the first big climb and heard the infamous psssssssssss sound. Running tubeless and the bead on my rear tire (Conti Trail King) had separated from the tire carcass. And, lo and behold, the only tubes in my pack were of the 29er variety. Awesome. So I walked 3 miles back to my Jeep.

What I did notice: The BB is pretty low in slack mode for South Mountain. And the horrible creaking is not fixed. The PB seller claims to know nothing about this. Seems pretty shady. I can't tolerate a loud bike so I guess I'll be pulling the pivots apart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That rusted bolt seems like a sign of too much hose pressure while washing.
    Mrwhlr's stepmom rides a 5 spot

mtbr member
    Welcome back to the clan. Hope you get the niggling issues sorted and you decide to stay awhile. (Although with your bike curiosity I'm sure it won't be long until your eyes start to wander )
    The Warden is a great bike. On my Chili I much preferred steep mode for South Mountain/Goat Camp riding. It puts me in a little better position for attacking the step up moves and gives me more BB height for the rock and square edges/ledges.

For smoother faster steep riding (bike parks etc) the slack setting is the bomb.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hey, Kent. I will definitely try steep mode next. Thinking an external cup lower headset might be useful.

I'm a little torqued about the creaking, but I'm super-anal about a quiet bike. I'll get it sorted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Hey, Kent. I will definitely try steep mode next. Thinking an external cup lower headset might be useful.

I'm a little torqued about the creaking, but I'm super-anal about a quiet bike. I'll get it sorted.
    Take a good look at the Cane Creek shock hardware. A few on this forum have had issues with it wearing quickly on the Chilcotin. At one point I also had noise coming from the DBair, but that was only during fast compressions, and it was warrantied.

I have also found it pays to pull the linkages apart and clean/lube them occasionally on the newer frames. Especially the lower main link and the bushing links. I am sure you will find the culprit. Good luck.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I had the DBA-CS on my Enduro 29 warrantied recently. These noises are definitely linkage related.

BC
    mtbr member
    From the looks of that bolt, I would check every bearing/pivot.

Btw, I've run 29" tubes in my 26" wheels to get back to the car. Works in a pinch.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, I plan on completely tearing the rear suspension down. I assume, based on experience with doing the same on different frames, synthetic grease and Loctite will do the trick?

Also, maybe I'm missing something, is it not possible to buy a 56mm lower external headset cup?

mtbr member
    Looking at those bolts I am going to hazard a guess that when you pull apart the bike all of the bearings are going to have some sort of corrosion. Somebody like the hose A LOT since this bike is too new to have issues like this even without greasing everything.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The picture of that bolt should be mandatory viewing for anyone that ever pointed a hose at a bike.
    tragic.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I plan on completely tearing the rear suspension down. I assume, based on experience with doing the same on different frames, synthetic grease and Loctite will do the trick?

Also, maybe I'm missing something, is it not possible to buy a 56mm lower external headset cup?
    The only bolts that have needed Loctite on my Endo or Chilcotin have been at the bushing linkage points. Just applied the Loctite to the female treads and covered the hole with a finger while threading the bolt. Helps to keep the Loctite out of the bushings.

From what I understand, the 56mm lower head tube was designed to use inset bearing cups.

I am in the same boat on the super short stack on all current Knolly's. Luckily, there are a number of good, wide 38 to 40mm rise bars available now. That and a 20mm spacer does the trick for me.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

Unit 91
    FWIW, I owned an Endorphin for about 8 months and upon taking the frame apart, the lower bearings were rusty and extremely gritty. They cleaned up well and were packed full of fresh grease. I don't pressure wash my bikes, but I do rinse with a hose on shower mode. Would be worth ruling out.
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Hmmm, a 6 pack of Pabst says if you replace that top upper bolt and upper shock hardware, that squeak might go away. Very odd that the top bolt looks so bad, but the bottom looks like new.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thought that was weird, too. Got the fork reconfigured to 160mm today and rebuilt about half of the pivots. All of them were super-gunky and dirty, but nothing seized and all the bearings spin freely with no grinding.

mtbr member
    Hey folks,

I just want to point out the obvious.

SoCal and PNW (two places I have lived), have a very different culture in terms of bike maintenance. In dry places it is common to just wipe your bike with a dry rag and clean your chain. When it rains, people freak out if you ride the trails. In the PNW, it is not uncommon to hose your bike 100 times a year, and in the process remove 200-300 pounds of dirt and grime. Essentially, you clean your bike every single time you go for a ride during three seasons. You also ride at all times unless the snow is too deep. The trails are very amenable to work by trail crews, and what seems like disaster can often be fixed pretty easily. Because of all these things we ride a lot in the winter, and because you have to remove the mud from the bike (unlike places like CA, AZ, and CO), it has to get hosed a lot.

We have the good fortune that Noel knows this, since the NS/BC and PNW have similar winter riding, and speced the bikes with top notch bearings from day 1. Put a little bearing grease on the outside of the pivot bearings during the wet months and they will likely outlast your interest in riding that frame. The bolts should be replaced every so often when they show signs of wear, just like any other part of the bike. If you ride hard and year around, you break stuff, so best to replace most parts every 1-2 years. Many of us in the PNW strip our bikes down every winter for just that reason.

Some of us are lazy though
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advise. I've had trouble with finding replacement bolts and bearing etc for other bikes in the past. I have had to hit up the local hardware store and hacksaw bolts to the right size.

Do you know of any bearing or bolt kits that Knolly sell to bike owners, so seasonal services are easier?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Used frame.
    Found your issue!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    seemingly hurtful post removed. sorry folks!
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 10-12-2014 at 06:58 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Is there a reason you seem to be trying to badmouth my sale?

I really don't understand the attitude; if you're not interested, why are you commenting?

I rode the bike multiple times on a variety of trails and I didn't like it. Not the end of the world.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    gone

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you read the ad, you'd see it.

You're badmouthing because you're inferring that I'm somehow dishonest. If you want to continue to make that sort of inference, how about contacting me directly and we'll work it out. Otherwise, why don't you mind your business?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    edited.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I read it as you questioning my integrity in a weird passive-aggressive way. We can continue to have positive exchanges, but I won't tolerate people questioning me in that way. I have a good rep because I buy and sell good stuff at reasonable prices.

The long and short is that the Warden just isn't what I'm looking for. Cool rig, just not for me.

mtbr member

New to the family

Disappointing exchange.

Did you replace the bolt? And if so, where and how did you get replacement parts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bike people never disappoint!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Yippee_Ki_YayMF View Post
    Disappointing exchange.

Did you replace the bolt? And if so, where and how did you get replacement parts?
    If you need small parts or bolt kits, pleas contact us directly at [email protected]

Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I did not replace the bolt. I hand-sanded it lightly to remove the rust. My local Ace hardware did have a close match on the bolt, but the threading was deeper up the bolt shaft. I didn't think it would work properly, but I might pick one up just to check.

I disassembled all the pivots except the main lower, because I don't think I fully understand that particular pivot. That pivot also felt pretty free and not notchy when moved (after rear pivots disassembled). I got rid of probably 80% of the initial creakiness; the only creaks now are under significant load.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I wonder what is causing all the creaks? Wrong torque? Lacking lube? Contamination? Poor pivot hardware (hard to believe)? Design?
    I've also heard Knolly bikes are among the quietest bikes around, so I don't understand the conflicting stories, and the above results.

I'm about to buy a Warden myself so I'm a little worried when I see this kind of stuff. Getting cold feet.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmm, I wonder what is causing all the creaks? Wrong torque? Lacking lube? Contamination? Poor pivot hardware (hard to believe)? Design?
    I've also heard Knolly bikes are among the quietest bikes around, so I don't understand the conflicting stories, and the above results.

I'm about to buy a Warden myself so I'm a little worried when I see this kind of stuff. Getting cold feet.
    I'm guessing that lower pivot point needs service, as mine does 1x a year (I ride/put away wet sometimes) and if it isn't properly serviced, it is the source of creaks under hard load (ie: standing and wrenching the bike side/side).

Yippee_mofo, you don't have anything to be worried about - you'd see a lot of people complaining around here (a la SC with the VPP issues years back) if there were a problem inherent to the design/execution in manufacturing. The bikes are solid and like anything else, a little maintenance goes a long way.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hey, man, don't let this thread keep you from getting a Knolly. Certainly wasn't my intention. Most guys love these rigs, just so happens that it didn't click with me. The creaking pivots I've experienced I believe are an aberration. As I said, an hour in the garage cleared up most of what I was experiencing.

At the end of the day, I think I just prefer wagon wheels. I keep experimenting with 650b, but the only one I've really liked was my Bronson.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Yippee_mofo, you don't have anything to be worried about - you'd see a lot of people complaining around here (a la SC with the VPP issues years back) if there were a problem inherent to the design/execution in manufacturing. The bikes are solid and like anything else, a little maintenance goes a long way.
    You're right. I was stung with the VPP a few years back, then had 2 flawless carbon Nomads straight after. But I have seen a few comments from people in other threads about creaks on their Warden, even brand new. I suppose if there was more 'noise' here on this thread then I'd have reason for concern. But when I'm days from picking up my new frame, it is still a little rattling.

Hey, man, don't let this thread keep you from getting a Knolly. Certainly wasn't my intention. Most guys love these rigs, just so happens that it didn't click with me. The creaking pivots I've experienced I believe are an aberration. As I said, an hour in the garage cleared up most of what I was experiencing.
    Thanks mate. At the very least, I know I am making an informed decision with hopefully no surprises.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The only noise that came from my Warden has been from the CCDB shock pivot. This was due to lack of lube. Lubed the shock spacers and reassembled and it's been super quiet. I am amzed at how quiet the bike is, it's been less maintenance than the Maestro suspensions I've had in the past.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I suppose if there was more 'noise' here on this thread then I'd have reason for concern. But when I'm days from picking up my new frame, it is still a little rattling.
    Are you sure you're ready for the risks of mountain bike riding? You know people actually get injured from time to time. You should take it slow, look at the bike for a while, then sit on it a few minutes each day. Just don't force it, because that's when accidents happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Are you sure you're ready for the risks of mountain bike riding? You know people actually get injured from time to time. You should take it slow, look at the bike for a while, then sit on it a few minutes each day. Just don't force it, because that's when accidents happen.
    Grow up.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If anyone is still curious, CharacterZero's comments above were spot on. With some advice from Dusty, I got the lower link above the BB removed. The bearings were still fine, but the axle itself was janky and starting to gall.

I fine-sanded it, re-greased everything and put it back together. All squeaks now gone and the bike is dead silent again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If anyone is still curious, CharacterZero's comments above were spot on. With some advice from Dusty, I got the lower link above the BB removed. The bearings were still fine, but the axle itself was janky and starting to gall.

I fine-sanded it, re-greased everything and put it back together. All squeaks now gone and the bike is dead silent again.
    Glad you got it sorted man - that lower bolt can be a real ***** for sure, especially if it is in bad shape!