"My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

"My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....

....AWESOME!

I have to be honest here, since I-bike last year I have had some inappropriate thoughts about the new frame. I had convinced myself that I needed more than this frame offered until I, one, got a DH bike and two rode and watched Dude! (aka Jamie) ride his.

The bike/frame is a beautifully crafted piece of art. It is gorgeous to look at. Obviously, I have issues with my love of the look of my bike if you haven't noticed you can look at my long storied battle with UGI (Upgraditus). I was little concerned with how the frame would look with my over the top Mangoness....pictures speak for themself.

Now to the ride......IMPRESSIVE!

The main reason I went for the new frame was the fact that I primarily ride AM trails with a mixture of FR. My true love is FR, but I just don't have a ton of access to it and in order to consistently ride, it is AM.

I, first, took it on my weekday ride that Jamie and I do and I was pleasantly surprised that it had all the capabilities of the original DT and then some.

Climbing:
    I was impressed with the climbing ability of this beast (37.10lbs.). It really doesn't feel anywhere near that weight. The more upright and over the center of bike geometry fix is truly a blessing for us that do a lot of climbing. You really don't have to get over the front of the bike like I felt like I had to do with the DT on the steep climbs. It was great on the intermediate climbs.....all in all just a more comfortable feeling while hammerring uphill.

AM Downhill:
    At first I was a little hesitant due to a shoulder injury I had incurred a couple of weeks back, but immediately, I mean IMMEDIATELY, that changed. The bike just went. It just felt sanppy, quick and like I could just be one with the bike. You can really get connected to this frame. You feel as if it is reading your mind and what you want to happen. I was snapping off jumps and bumps, something I noticed about the "new" Jamie once he got the Delirium. He had really changed his approach to riding along with the way he looked while he was riding. So, I finally experienced this and WOW it was truly an amazing feeling bike. Just ripped through the turns and really the same plowability as the DT. I was and still am getting used to my position on the bike....more centered and less leaning back.

FREERIDE...Finally!
    So, I have one ride back since my injury and on this new frame and Jamie and I decide to go meet our good friend Craigstr and road trip over to Idaho to his firend's trememdous vacation home...."Holy Sh*t, so this is how the other half lives!" - Jamie. Thanks again, Craig! This place was amazing, but the riding was that x 10. The freshly watered down trails, via 3 days of solid rain, were rippable and carvable like we have never seen before. These were still some serious FR trails with some gnarly stunts. I was a little concerned for the last time I rode this place I was on my full DH bike. My mind was soon put at ease with the capabilities of the Delirum. "you just convinced me I don't need a downhill bike" - Jamie. It really handled everything I threw at it. I mean I threw some stuff at it. Stuff that I hadn't done before. It handled it and then some. The suspension really works as a more balanced feeling through the rough stuff - front and rear are working together. As Jamie noted, you notice the stuff you are going through but it doesn't affect your riding. I was able to pop off the top of jumps a lot more than I was able to on the DT. The big drops, well not as plush as the DH bike, were achievable and I really didn't lose any faith and or control. The turning and manuverability was the most impressive thing about the new frame. I was able to attack stuff with a lot more confidence due to the "connected" feel of the bike. It really could be considered a "one" bike if you are willing to suffer a bit on the uphill.........becasue that DH is unbelievable! A great FR machine.

p.s. I, in my usual fashion, proved that it does well in a a crash.

My Bike:

(L) White 2010 Delirium
    Avavlanche Woodie 8.5 x 2.5 - 350 ti Obatainium Spring
    2010 Marzocchi 66 RC3 Ti
    Industry Nine FR Wheelset
    Race Face Atlas FR Bars
    Point One Chrome Stem
    Chris King Devolution Headset
    Formula "The One" 200/200
    Oury Lock ons
    Sram XO shifter with a Medium Cage RD
    Sram 990 11/34
    Race Face Atlas FR Cranks 175mm
    E13 LG+1 Chainguide
    SRAM 990 Chain
    E13 33t Single Ring
    Twenty6 Pre-Runner Pedals
    Rock Shox "reverb" Seat Post
    Synchros Saddle
    Thompson Seat Clamp
    Continental Trail Kings 2.4

37.10 lbs.

A couple of shots from the weekend. Craigstr in Black and Jamie in Green.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....-reverb-1.jpg  

"My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....-other-half.jpg  

"My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....-jamie-gap.jpg  

"My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....-craig-gap.jpg  

"My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....-craigstr-big-gap.jpg  

Last edited by Dominator13; 10-11-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    It was only a matter of time...

Only downside Dom forgot to mention - now we have matching white frames, we look a little funny riding together.

Just a quick note - Dom did all of this on a Marz fork!

Props to Dom and Craig, they were killing it in the air.

Looking forward to the next trip!!!!
    Last edited by Dude!; 10-10-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Commit or eat sh!t
    This bike would be the one and only choice for a do-all bike, especially if you are going to have one bike. Great review Dom!

What the ----?
    Dom - I'm diggin your positive reviews on the Delirium, it sounds exactly like the one bike ive been looking for. My new Delirium is 90% complete and should be done by the end of this week, then starts the 3000+ mile shipping journey to Connecticut. Most of my local trails are really nice rolling hills but lacks the fun freeride stuff, so im starting to flag out
    some pretty promising dh sections with some nice natural drops and a 15' or 20' gap under construction soon. Nice build on your Delirium, the mangoness kicks ass with the white frame, pretty burly build for only 37lbs!

mtbr member

You had to go there?

[QUOTE=Dude!]

[QUOTE]
    Good that we could squeeze the road trip in, the long drive was worth it for sure. Jamie, you forgot to mention Dom did that all on a 66 that was leaking oil from the footnut!
    P.S. Dom, I think you meant "new Delirium"? A few too many rockstars to stay awake on the drive home yesterday?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=craigstr][QUOTE=Dude!]

Good that we could squeeze the road trip in, the long drive was worth it for sure. Jamie, you forgot to mention Dom did that all on a 66 that was leaking oil from the footnut!
    P.S. Dom, I think you meant "new Delirium"? A few too many rockstars to stay awake on the drive home yesterday?

Knew Knolly...........Get it?
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member

ah, got it now

Guess I should have had another rockstar, too tired to catch that. So you going to get a knew fork to go with the knew knolly? How about the knew Totem coil rc2?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Guess I should have had another rockstar, too tired to catch that. So you going to get a knew fork to go with the knew knolly? How about the knew Totem coil rc2?
    I agree, a white totem dh coil would look perfect on the bike. I even know a great guy who would sell you one for a great price. It would go towards his Knolly delirium purchase too

Sick build though. Like i posted before, I was also bidding on that frame. I will hopefully have a blue one coming soon though so its ok.

At any point do you wish you had a travel adjust fork for the climbs? that is the only thing im trying to figure out now.

mtbr member
    dude, bikes nice but that's one sweet a$$ looking house

banned
    Apr 2010
    Very cool to see. You'd think that stuff like that can only be done with minilink bikes.

mtbr member

Last edited by craigstr; 10-10-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member

....I don't give up that ez!

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    ...in speaking with Jamie on the drive home, I misunderstood his instruction with the oil level on the compression side of the fork. I filled it with 145ml TOO MUCH! What a dumbass I am. Anyways, Jamie said of course it was leaking out of the top bottom wherever it could. Especially, the drops and jumps I was hitting. Turkey basted out the 145 ml and wallah....got's me a non leaking tremendous feeling Zocchi 66RC3 Ti fork.

mtbr member

My Buddy's Video

nevermind
    Last edited by craigstr; 10-11-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Dom,
    I will be sending you a PM for thoughts on your Jedi setup. I have a Delerium which I agree is the most epic bike ever but I needed a second bike to leave in South Africa for my new rotaion contract. Always wanted one and got a good deal second hand, so how you feeling about your Jedi now you have a Knolly?
    I just want to ride.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Very nice! Love the build and stoked to hear it's working for you.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous bike, Dom. I like the orange on white better than the "old" bike. Wasn't your DT a medium? Why the switch to large? Is the sizing different on the new Delirium?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Gorgeous bike, Dom. I like the orange on white better than the "old" bike. Wasn't your DT a medium? Why the switch to large? Is the sizing different on the new Delirium?

How's the ankle/foot?
    The "new" Large frame is similiar to the Med. DT dimensions. I was always going for the Large if I was to get the new one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    A question Dominator13 ?

What is your human size please, thanks.

Regards

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Weight and Height...Human Size!

Quote Originally Posted by CactusAlpin
    A question Dominator13 ?

What is your human size please, thanks.

Regards
    179 cm tall
    85 cm inseam
    79.38 KG without gear
    Last edited by Dominator13; 01-05-2011 at 12:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13
    179 cm tall
    94 cm inseam
    79.38 KG without gear
    Thank you very much.

I worry. I measure 186 cm. for 91 cm inseam. What size should I choose ?

I was thinking of taking as you a frame Large.

Regards

mtbr member
    Thank you very much.

I worry. I measure 186 cm. for 91 cm inseam. What size should I choose ?

I was thinking of taking as you a frame Large.

Regards
    Yes... a large would fit you well. I rode a Medium Delirium T, but Medium Delirium feels too short. Get one you will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yes... a large would fit you well. I rode a Medium Delirium T, but Medium Delirium feels too short. Get one you will not regret it.
    Thanks !

Yes, I hope the budget (money) will go !! I am hesitant about the color yet...

A question, The Forks is well ?

Not hesitate to put us photos or movies, It would be really nice.

I'm sorry my level is very very limeted, i'm living in France..

Regards.

Yebo Numzaan
    Holy Cow - you got some long legs there Dom! I am same height weight and thought i was normal until i read your legs are 10 cm longer than mine.

mtbr member

My bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops
    Holy Cow - you got some long legs there Dom! I am same height weight and thought i was normal until i read your legs are 10 cm longer than mine.
    Oops! You and I are both normal, or so I'd like to think.........85cm, my mistake!

mtbr member
    Thanks !

Regards.
    \

CA,
    The bike you see in this thread was stolen and I have since aquired a new Delirium. You can see all of this in this thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=665200 If you look myself or Dude! up, and our threads, you'll see what we've written about the bike, fork and shocks. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yebo Numzaan
    Just to add to this initial post - I got a new delerium this past April and had an awesome year riding it. I felt immediately comfortable on the bike, but the amazing thing i found was that as the year progressed - I learnt more and more how to 'really' ride it and was still having moments of inspiration towards the end of the season. One of the things I came to learn was how the delerium likes to be 'worked' into the trail. Maybe i just had never really known how to ride properly before this (?)...but once i started pumping and popping every single piece of the terrain that i could possibly work with...it was unbelievable how smooth, controlled, balanced the bike felt. Twice i was compelled to email Noel and 'try' express what i was feeling - as if he didnt already know. My preceding bikes had been an SXT (since 2008) and a Vtach (2007)...i had ridden both bikes on these trails that i build on - but all of a sudden things were hugely different. it was pretty darn awesome.

An awesome year ended on 12/31 when i broke my hand on a mellow xc ride with my wife (riding my hard tail)....now...sitting it out and waiting for surgery, the healing process and for the inevitable increasing excitement levels as the Chilly gets closer to delivery. The delerium is going to change from a 160 Float - and get a 180 Fox to go with the RC4 and DH tires - while the Chilly will by my xc bike with a 160 Talas and lighter set up. The thought of riding these two bikes next year makes me stoked.

mtbr member

Too bad.....

Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops
    Just to add to this initial post - I got a new delerium this past April and had an awesome year riding it. I felt immediately comfortable on the bike, but the amazing thing i found was that as the year progressed - I learnt more and more how to 'really' ride it and was still having moments of inspiration towards the end of the season. One of the things I came to learn was how the delerium likes to be 'worked' into the trail. Maybe i just had never really known how to ride properly before this (?)...but once i started pumping and popping every single piece of the terrain that i could possibly work with...it was unbelievable how smooth, controlled, balanced the bike felt. Twice i was compelled to email Noel and 'try' express what i was feeling - as if he didnt already know. My preceding bikes had been an SXT (since 2008) and a Vtach (2007)...i had ridden both bikes on these trails that i build on - but all of a sudden things were hugely different. it was pretty darn awesome.

An awesome year ended on 12/31 when i broke my hand on a mellow xc ride with my wife (riding my hard tail)....now...sitting it out and waiting for surgery, the healing process and for the inevitable increasing excitement levels as the Chilly gets closer to delivery. The delerium is going to change from a 160 Float - and get a 180 Fox to go with the RC4 and DH tires - while the Chilly will by my xc bike with a 160 Talas and lighter set up. The thought of riding these two bikes next year makes me stoked.

That is sad and amazing at the same time. Hope you heal soon for it is no fun wanting to ride a brand new bike and not being able to do so. You are preaching to the Dude! choir. He has been thinking about the Chili, but I think he opted for the lighter wheelset and has the 66 as well for the DH/FR fork. I think we have the same sort of riding down here in Santa Cruz that you have in Wash.. You just have the ability to jump the border and get to the good stuff. A Chili would be the perfect bike for our trails, but as it has been said the comfort of the Delirium outweighs the weight penalty. It really is a great "one" bike and can be transformed in so many ways.

Healing vibes to you and we've got to ride.......maybe this summer!?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    \

CA,
    The bike you see in this thread was stolen and I have since aquired a new Delirium. You can see all of this in this thread. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=665200 If you look myself or Dude! up, and our threads, you'll see what we've written about the bike, fork and shocks. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Thank you very much. I read all this in detail.

Good recovery to you Muttonchops.

Regards.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks !

Regards.
    FWIW, there will be some new colors coming to the D...just wait and see.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    FWIW, there will be some new colors coming to the D...just wait and see.
    When ??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    After lurking on this forum for a while, I finally feel compelled to post after reading the OP. I bought a Delirium about 6 months ago for essentially the same reasons as Dom (mostly AM with some FR), but have been entirely underwhelmed by the whole riding experience. After about 6-7 rides I chucked the thing in garage wishing I had never sold my Bottlerocket.

I've always wanted a Knolly since first getting into mountain biking about 4-5 years ago, but wasn't able to get one back then due to the lack of an Australian distributor. Now that's all changed and after a couple of bikeless months I finally got my hands on a Delirium frame. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the sheer disappointment after riding the Delirium has all but killed my interest in mountain biking.

I spent a LOT of time setting up the bike and found a configuration where the bike finally came alive after feeling very flat. However, I still couldn't relate my riding experience to the majority of comments on this forum. The bike just didn't feel like anything particularly special. With a setup not unlike many other Deliriums on this forum (DHX Air/Fox 36/etc) I just figured this bike is not for me.

There's a lot of love on this forum, which is refreshing, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm having one last shot with the Delirium with my current rebuild - I hope the experience turns out to be much more positive this time.

Yebo Numzaan
    fungusnuts (love the name dude), sorry to read that! I can guarantee you 100% that you need to keep at it and work it out. The delerium is a waaay different bike to a bottlerocket - so for sure you are going to feel different at first....it probably took me 10 rides to dial my rear suspension in - and at first noticed that even small variances in my rear tire pressure affected the feel of my ride.

My first ride was a XC ish on smooth trails and all felt fantastic - but when i took into some gnarly DH trails on my second ride - i got totally spooked out. I subsequently increased my sag, removed some compression and found that the bike felt massively different. These settings hadnt affected me on the mellower trails, but were totally noticable on the DH trails.

Now that you have come out the woodwork - share some of your ride experiences with the crew and no doubt dudes will have suggestions.

mtbr member

Very interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by fungusnuts
    After lurking on this forum for a while, I finally feel compelled to post after reading the OP. I bought a Delirium about 6 months ago for essentially the same reasons as Dom (mostly AM with some FR), but have been entirely underwhelmed by the whole riding experience. After about 6-7 rides I chucked the thing in garage wishing I had never sold my Bottlerocket.

I've always wanted a Knolly since first getting into mountain biking about 4-5 years ago, but wasn't able to get one back then due to the lack of an Australian distributor. Now that's all changed and after a couple of bikeless months I finally got my hands on a Delirium frame. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the sheer disappointment after riding the Delirium has all but killed my interest in mountain biking.

I spent a LOT of time setting up the bike and found a configuration where the bike finally came alive after feeling very flat. However, I still couldn't relate my riding experience to the majority of comments on this forum. The bike just didn't feel like anything particularly special. With a setup not unlike many other Deliriums on this forum (DHX Air/Fox 36/etc) I just figured this bike is not for me.

There's a lot of love on this forum, which is refreshing, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm having one last shot with the Delirium with my current rebuild - I hope the experience turns out to be much more positive this time.

I have to compliment your honesty! It is, however, rare to find someone who is underwhelmed by a Knolly, notheless the new version Delirium. I ride a lot of AM, but prefer more FR, so my riding style is more aggressive if that means anything. I have ridden many bikes from Specialized, Santa Cruz, Titus, Marin, Transition, Trek, Ibis, Gary Fischer etc.. My impression of the Bottlerocket was it to be very snappy, quick and tight. The Delirium is a lot quicker and snappier than the original DT, but the BR was more DJ style, if a had to compare it to something. I can see where someone would think that a bike that rides like a mini-DH bike, coming from a bike like the one you were riding might not be overwhelmed. When you give it your next go, let it loose on the turns and DH and especially in the air....it really shines, in the air. I hope your next experience will win your affection like it has so many of us. I apologize, in advance, if our talking up this bike has taken you in the wrong direction, but I think you'll see the light.

mtbr member

That's not good...

Muttonchops nailed it. The more you ride the bike the more you appreciate it and recognize the qualities. If I had to provide one word to describe the Knolly/Delirium - it is "control". You know what the bike is doing at all times without being harsh and having excessive monkey motion. If it was super plush, etc, I would loose connection with the bike and the terrain. The bike just handles it. This is the key.

It did take me some time to dial the bike, mostly my own bike ignorance. I am still trying to dial it in and it is close to 1 year. Components make a big difference. Dominic and I have tried mutliple high-end shocks and forks, etc (it is a bit obsessive). But each one had an impact on the ride quality. Most folks seem to run a bit more sag.

Sorry to hear about the problems. Don't give up, because once it comes together - it is a blast. I would try something other than the DHX air, as a start.

Muttonchops - fast recovery - at least it is winter!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Dom and Muttonchops... thanks for comments.

I know the Delirium vs. Bottlerocket isn't a fair comparison, but when I rode the BR the hype quickly became truth.

It's like when I had the original Gran Mal, as soon as I pointed it downhill I could feel the long wheelbase translating into speed and stability beyond my Sunday... I was skipping over rocks and holes that I previously used to plough into. Similarly, when I had a VPP bike (Uzzi VP) I remember riding along thinking "this trail isn't anywhere near as rough as it looks", then I looked down to see the suspension working hard and the rear wheel tracking the terrain beautifully.

I was expecting to have similar revelations with the Delirium... I was expecting to be instantly blown way. But nothing really hit me beyond a brief moment where the stiffness of the rear end became apparent on a section of DH. Perhaps I'm just being unreasonable, but it's difficult not to have some expectations in this regard.

Anyway, your comments are encouraging and I'll persist with the setup once rebuilt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Sorry to hear about the problems. Don't give up, because once it comes together - it is a blast. I would try something other than the DHX air, as a start.
    Thanks Dude. I didn't expect to get too far with the DHX Air, especially weighing in at around 220 lbs. I'm holding out for a Stoy Air, but will most likely get a custom tune for the DHX in the meantime. I'm still being a weenie and resisting coil for the timebeing.

mtbr member

Dump the DHX Air

I had one originally on my DT, frankly it flat out sucked. It wallows in the midstroke and makes the bike feel very flat, the Knolly begs for a coil shock and a fork with at least 170mm of travel especially being over 200lbs. Maybe it has something to do with the direction your toilet water rotates down the drain?

mtbr member

get a coil!

Thanks Dude. I didn't expect to get too far with the DHX Air, especially weighing in at around 220 lbs. I'm holding out for a Stoy Air, but will most likely get a custom tune for the DHX in the meantime. I'm still being a weenie and resisting coil for the timebeing.
    Don't worry about the weight and get a coil! However, if weight is an issue, I hear that the RP23 with boost vale rides better than the DHX air. Dusty Bottoms commented on the RP23 with boost valve relative to the CCDB (that will save an additional 1/2 pound). There is also a good discussion in the Turner forum about a modified shim for the RP23.

I would spend the money on a used RP23 (make sure it is the correct setup) then tune DHX air.

Shocks will make a major difference. When I was first looking at Knolly bikes - I was demoing an Endorphin with an RP23 and wasn't overly impressed. Luckily I bumped into Dominic at the trailhead parking lot (this is how we met) and he let me ride his DT and loved it. To this day, I still wish I tried an Endorphin with a coil shock.

Back to my Knolly beginning, as I was a novice with suspension, I started off with the Vivid coil. I like the bike, but when I rode Dom's bike with the CCDB - I realized that I was missing out on the fun. In hindsight, I think I was oversprung with the Vivid.

Even when getting the CCDB, the bike didn't really shine until I dropped to a lighter spring. Dominic has both Avalanche shock and Fox RC4 and including the CCDB - I think they all have there small pluses and minuses, as they are all very good.

Also what fork are you using? I started off with a 2009 160 Talas - blah - suckaroo!!!

Good luck!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Maybe I was expecting too much, but the sheer disappointment after riding the Delirium has all but killed my interest in mountain biking.
    Are you serious? I felt like I'd just wrecked a busload of groupies after riding mine!

Before you give up on riding entirely, forevermore, how about:

1) Ditch the DHX Air, being 220# on air shocks usually leaves little room for tuning.

2) Get a decent coil shock w/ the correct spring weight (try a couple springs, it's pretty important to get right).

3) Sleep easy knowing if you still aren't happy, it'll sell pretty fast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Don't worry about the weight and get a coil! However, if weight is an issue, I hear that the RP23 with boost vale rides better than the DHX air. Dusty Bottoms commented on the RP23 with boost valve relative to the CCDB (that will save an additional 1/2 pound). There is also a good discussion in the Turner forum about a modified shim for the RP23.
    I've heard the same thing about the RP23 w/ BV. And I came across that thread in the Turner forum around the same time when I was looking at alternatives to the DHX Air.

Also what fork are you using? I started off with a 2009 160 Talas - blah - suckaroo!!!
    Fork is a 2011 180 Float 36. I've dropped it to 160 in preference for riding more AM with the current rebuild. I'll see how it goes. Craigstr, your comments have been noted regarding a 170 mm fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    1) Ditch the DHX Air, being 220# on air shocks usually leaves little room for tuning.

2) Get a decent coil shock w/ the correct spring weight (try a couple springs, it's pretty important to get right).
    That seems to be the consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    3) Sleep easy knowing if you still aren't happy, it'll sell pretty fast.
    I believe it for North America where the market is huge, but selling boutique, purpose-built bikes here is agony.

Dom: apologies for the thread hijack.

mtbr member

I know the Delirium vs. Bottlerocket isn't a fair comparison, but when I rode the BR the hype quickly became truth.

It's like when I had the original Gran Mal, as soon as I pointed it downhill I could feel the long wheelbase translating into speed and stability beyond my Sunday... I was skipping over rocks and holes that I previously used to plough into. Similarly, when I had a VPP bike (Uzzi VP) I remember riding along thinking "this trail isn't anywhere near as rough as it looks", then I looked down to see the suspension working hard and the rear wheel tracking the terrain beautifully.

I was expecting to have similar revelations with the Delirium... I was expecting to be instantly blown way. But nothing really hit me beyond a brief moment where the stiffness of the rear end became apparent on a section of DH. Perhaps I'm just being unreasonable, but it's difficult not to have some expectations in this regard.

Anyway, your comments are encouraging and I'll persist with the setup once rebuilt.
    I've read your comments on your experience and I do think you need to give the bike another chance. Here are some of my comments that can hopefully help you get some better performance out of the bike.

Not to beat a dead horse but ditch that DHX Air quickly. I had one on an El Guapo and I could never get it dialed in. It basically made the bike feel like poo until I upgraded to a CCDB. It completely transformed that bike. I have a CCDB on my Delirium and I also had a Vivid coil. Both feel real good but the CCDB gets the nod for feel and tune-ability.
    You mentioned the BR and VPP bikes that felt good. I've found those bikes to have a more "couch-like" suspension. While it's nice for absorbing bumps they do have other issues. You can tune the Delirium to be as plush but not with an air shock as it will bottom and wallow way too much. The coil will have better midstroke and BO protection while feeling very plush.

Try running your Float at 180mm. Most of my riding is also AM riding and the bike balances really well with a 180mm fork. I found the Fox forks especially feel snappier and are better for AM riding than others I have tried. I'm able to run the air on the lower side and use the compression settings to tune it nicely. I've been very impressed with my 180Talas on this bike.

You might want to list out your build and a pic of the bike as there might be some other things in your build that could make the bike not feel so great.

mtbr member

Beasty!

It's like when I had the original Gran Mal, as soon as I pointed it downhill I could feel the long wheelbase translating into speed and stability beyond my Sunday...

Now that is a big bike and you must be a big dude! My experiences with the Gran Mal were that the bike was a beast and you had to be a big dude to get the full use of this bike. Harsh, stiff and bouncy was what I felt. Love the look and simplicity of that bike, though.

It sounds like the folks on here are pointing you in the right direction. None of us would have our bikes dialed if it weren't for this site and much tinkering. When you find it you'll know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "My" Knew Delirium thoughts.....-gran-mal.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Suspension bikes are a weird thing. It is not a one size fits all. Delerium might not be a good fit. It comes down to you and how you like to ride.
    Devils advocate I bought a BR and didn't like it at all. Yet I rode the Delerium for one minute and was like -> Yes !
    All about the ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i wouldnt worry about the weight differance between coil and air, i swapped my dhx air for a ccdb, and the weight gain was only minimal, somthing like 2lb if that, this could be reduced with a ti spring.
    as the other guys have said, it comes down to componants and set up, my dt has come a long way in his short 2 year life, get a good coil shock and good coil fork, and experiment with setup, i could never get the dhx air to work how i liked, i felt it was way to soft, it would blow its travel way to easy, no matter how i tried to set it up i just didnt like it. so i swapped it out for a doubble barrel, streight away i noticed a differance, the back end felt more planted and stable,
    now i must openly admit at this point that this shock is way way way beyond me, i am a complete clueless prick, all the gear no idea, i work on the theory if it aint broke dont fix it

so when it came to set up i just kinda left it, it felt good well much better compared to the dhx air, i noticed it was a bit slow so i speeded it up a bit, and it felt better so i just left it. then when i was in whistler back in september, one of the guys staying with us was a cycle mechanic for the bike shop in grizedale forrest, he had a spin on my bike and said your shock not set up to good, i had my little tool with me so he had a tinker and adjusted a few things and it rides even better than before.
    i guess there is one thing i have learned from this and that is not to be afffraid to experiment with settings.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    fungusnuts,

just wondering, did the gran mal have a coil?

I have always been a coil guy myself at 200lbs but when i first got a DT, I went with the DHX air and though it felt alright, it wasn't a coil. Now I have a Delirium with a CCDB and Fox 180 Van, and can't think or a reason to try air again. FWIW, complete, the bike weighs 35 lbs 4oz

also, I've been browsing the Knolly forum for a couple years and I'd like to thank Dom, Craigst, dude, and woodyak for all the great info they have shared here. You guys have been a great help but a few of you have caused my upgradeitus to to reach fever pitch costing me alot of money along the way.

thanks and keep it up

mtbr member

Dom and Dude...

have the upgradeitis. Pfarrell, you are welcome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    To answer a couple of questions:

- Dom: Yes. I am pretty beefy.
    - pfarrell: Yes, the GM was coil sprung.

Roll on Spring Time!
    I think I am in line with what Dom is saying. The most rediculous bike I have every ridden. I was instantly comforatble and I am able to pin corners like never before and at the same time the bike jumps better than my WIldcard - for FR/DH trannies. I dropped down to a
    350lb spring and the bike came alive. I was riding the other day after spending 4 weeks dialling in my Jedi and for some reason when I jumped on the Delerium it just felt better. It may just suit my style better or something but I can corner and hold a line better. The Delerium also seems to pop off everything and thats with 30% sag. I can really feel the suspension working. Totaly blown away after being back on the Delerium this week. I was supposed to be building up the Jedi for SOuth Africa but I am thinking the Delerium is going in the box. tomorrow I get a half day off so it is balls to the wall back to back testing.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    I think I am in line with what Dom is saying. The most rediculous bike I have every ridden. I was instantly comforatble and I am able to pin corners like never before and at the same time the bike jumps better than my WIldcard - for FR/DH trannies.
    I'm not trying to single you out Juan Pablo, but this is the kind of thing I said I couldn't relate to in my original post. Subsequently, I was hit with bunch of advice about setup, which is good, that's what these forums can be good for. But the general assumption is that the bike is set up incorrectly. That may be the case, but it may not. And then it comes down to preference, riding style etc.

When someone provides a rave review, the assumption seems to be that the bike has been set up correctly. It could be that someone is just so excited to finally have bought bicycle brand X that the experience is destined to a good one, irrespective of the whether the setup is optimum - an experience turns out to be positive because you want it to be positive. While that may be enough for person in question (positive is positive after all), it may not help somebody else seeking to have the same experience.

For me, I placed a lot of expectation on the Delirium largely because I had built it up in my mind, based on everything I had read about Knolly bikes, to be the ultimate sleeper. When I didn't have that transformational experience I was expecting, and that I perceived everybody else to have had, I was disappointed to a level commensurate with the expectation I had originally had. So, what I'm getting at is a bit different to the focus on components and setup. While both important, so is your perception of the bike and what you think it's going to do for you.

That's essentially what I wanted to share with other people cruising this forum looking at getting a Knolly. Probably the best thing you can do to objectively inform your decision is to take a test ride. Unfortunately, I didn't have that opportunity - the one and only distributor down here is a long way from where I live.

Roll on Spring Time!
    Dont get me wrong I wanted a Delerium for about 4 years but the cost put me off. I tried alot off bikes and while in England I bought and sold through Ebay so I could try stuff out cheap. I often by with strength and durability in mind and I look at reviews with a open mind but Knolly bikes just dont get bad reviews and I think yours is the first.

As for set up I really like my Totem. It feels great and works perfectly. So thats one thing that helps balance the bike out for me. When I ordered I went with a Pushed Vivid because I dont believe the CC is for me and I am not that impressed with Fox offereings. I pushed the shock because I have had excellent result with performance but I also got it stripped and rebuilt hopeing it would offer better durability than stock. I am based in Korea so access to parts and servicing is nil.
    I built my Delerium up like but strong so SLX cranks, 721 rims......I run lighter tires for AM and dual ply for rough DH lines.
    The biggest difference was changing form a 400lb to 350 lb spring. This really made the Knolly super plush but since the design pedals well I dont feel like i lost on efficiency. I can really feel the suspension working and I have never felt this before, its really surprised me. With both springs the bike jumps incredibly.
    The other thing that works for me is hoep centered I feel - I am in the bike.My first run and I was smashing through corners and it really felt like the bike was taking me for a ride because I have never cornered like it before. Now I know what the bike is capable of I am much fast and pushing harder because I really trust the bike will get through the corner or section. Like I said I am actualy struggling with my Jedi and may feel like youand your Delerium. I havent given up because I know part of it is to do with the slacker wheelbase and the way the bike works but I also dont trust the shock is working perfectly.
    Dont give up. Look at stem length, bar rise and width, suspension setup etc. Most importantly, the Delerium like to be pushed hard and it will reward you. I have a WIldcard and it is kind of the same but the Delerium is another level. Good luck.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    For me, I placed a lot of expectation on the Delirium largely because I had built it up in my mind, based on everything I had read about Knolly bikes, to be the ultimate sleeper. When I didn't have that transformational experience I was expecting, and that I perceived everybody else to have had, I was disappointed to a level commensurate with the expectation I had originally had. So, what I'm getting at is a bit different to the focus on components and setup. While both important, so is your perception of the bike and what you think it's going to do for you..
    I can get behind some of what your saying with this, people get caught up in the allure of bikes and think once they get one them they will own everything, I've fallen into that trap before. Hell, if you read almost any DW link post you would expect the bike to pedal itself up a hill all on its own and you would be lead to believe the shock turns into a piece of re-rod while pedaling on flats.

I believe most new FS bikes are good, some are great, few are life changing.

Members who have read this thread: 0