Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Knolly Fugitive Rumors and Reality Thread

Enough with the "I wonder if Noel is working on" question. We know it's on the way and we want more info every day.

What do you know?
    What do you want?
    What do you want to know?
    Who's seen coulorways? Who's seen carbonz? Why haven't wee seen Doerfling on one yet?

I want a 35mm seat tube. If we're doing what's best for mountain bike development, I'd say a seat tube designed for 200mm dropper posts is long overdue. Give me the option to use an 8pins integrated dropper!
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    I want the 120mm Fugitive as listed on the Knolly blog. It's my next bike for sure. Aluminum is fine by me. I'd like the Fox DPX2 to be an option.

That's all I know at this point :/
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    The geo is mostly known from this chart; https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4563/...5aa72335_b.jpg

What remains to be seen is how the longer travel option changes that. I also want to hear Noels thoughts on what fork offset will work best with it, if they've done any experimenting with it.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of building a GG Pedalhead 29/27.5 to go with my Calling .. . But I rode a buddies Following MB last weekend and I started thinking. .. but now the Fugitive looks really good and I do like Knolly's suspension (former Chilcotin owner). This looks like the real deal I don't care if it's Carbon or Aluminum ...another hub size oh well..
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

mtbr member
    The facts I got from Knolly:

- will work with coil front and back like all Knolly bikes

- currently only 3 coil shocks will fit trunnion mount: DHX2, Super Deluxe Coil RCT and Push 11-6

- Cane Creek DB Coil[IL] will not be probably available in time for the first batches.

Other facts concerning components:

- WolthTooth direct mount chain ring with 0 offset will work with GXP cranks and 157trail

- Praxis will launch 0 offset chainring this year

- There's possibility to make an adapter to fit CC [IL]'s to trunnion mount (custom made ATM)

Unofficial info from reliable sources:

- should be available both in AL and carbon from the start or within short period from launch

- Cane Creek 29er fork, both Coil and Air, should debut around the time Fugitive will hit the trails

I'm slightly disappointed, that Coil[IL] will not be available, as I would like to run it with OPT and DROPT for versatile setup for long rides. Preferably with Helm Coil in the front.

I also wait for a reply from CC, when trunnion mount shock will be available and also from Extreme Shocks if Storia LOK will be available in trunnion mount.

Yebo Numzaan
    Quote Originally Posted by movingmountain View Post
    ...another hub size oh well..
    Interesting read....

https://nsmb.com/articles/super-boost-plus-better/

(ps: 2016/09)

time to rummage around for my vtach hubs?
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    I wonder how many times it will have to be stated that 157/150 is not 'another' hub size....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I wonder how many times it will have to be stated that 157/150 is not 'another' hub size....
    I hope for a long time, to make sure that old convertable to 157 hubs can be had for pennies off your local craiglist. The "old" DT Swiss 150 hub plus 157 adapters brand new from DT dealer is 40 bucks cheaper than DT 350's in boost . I'm last to complain about that.

I just got news from Knolly that colorways should be available sometime in Feb and possibly prototype shots.

Yebo Numzaan
    Raw please
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    I run oval rings on all of my bikes, and one can't really flip an oval ring since the ovality will then be in the wrong part of the stoke, so what are my oval option that are compatible with a 157 rear end ? I've run Rotor and Absolute Black and couldn't tell much difference, Also, I would like to just run the XT boost cranks from my current bike, but if I need new cranks too, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    Raw please
    Make that two, please.

Cranks...

I've been running my XT non-boost 2X cranks on a few frames. As long as I keep a relatively small ring on the outside, like a 32t or less, I've had no clearance issues.

Napkin math suggests a ring on that outer spot should still give good chainline with a 150/157 hub. I know in the past, when Lenz had a 150 rear, folks were running non-boost cranks without an issue.

mtbr member
    How would flipping an oval ring change the stroke placement? Its a mirror image, you arent flipping AND rotating it, just turning it over.

Yebo Numzaan
    agree!
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    I run oval rings on all of my bikes, and one can't really flip an oval ring since the ovality will then be in the wrong part of the stoke, so what are my oval option that are compatible with a 157 rear end ? I've run Rotor and Absolute Black and couldn't tell much difference, Also, I would like to just run the XT boost cranks from my current bike, but if I need new cranks too, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.
    What cranks you are using? Based on info from Wolf Tooth if you run SRAM Direct Mount GXP ones you just need to buy 0 offset ovals from likes of Banless, Wolf Tooth, OneUp (even called super boost now) or Absolute Black Oval BB30

If you use BCD cranks, I think you just need to shift ring to bigger spider mount. Could be wrong on that one. For Cinch cranks you need to contact RF.
    Hope that helps

mtbr member
    Raw please
    You have one chance in three to score a raw one. Actually one in two, as the third one will be targeting TLD/Racer crowd. I pray that Intense visual terror will not spread to Vancouver

mtbr member
    Interesting read....

https://nsmb.com/articles/super-boost-plus-better/

(ps: 2016/09)

time to rummage around for my vtach hubs?
    This from the article:
    "It does make me wonder why 148mm instead of the existing 157mm in the first place?
    Should Boost 148 have been skipped altogether? Could it have been skipped?"

Yes, 157 makes sense and is an improvement on an existing standard. The industry should've skipped 148mm (I did) and gone straight to 157.

Kudos to Noel for being smart enough to make the change to something that had some significant advantages in stiffness and CS/wheel and tire width combinations over the old 142mm hubs.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    What do we know?
    We know quite a bit about the Fugitive other than color ways and actual photos but I think it's safe to assume it will look like a Knolly. Like Muttonchops and MikerJ, I don't care too much about colors as long as there's a Raw option. I also believe the alloy and carbon versions will be released this year. Maybe a few months apart.

I think it's safe to assume from Noel's comments in the PB article that the bigger 29er project is in the works for next year. Probably a Chilcotin replacement with at least 145-150mm rear travel with the possibility of a longer shock stroke option upping that to 160-165mm?

I think it's also safe to assume that the updated Endorphin and Warden 27.5 models will be coming, or at least announced, sometime in the next 6 months.

Wants: I don't the think the Warden or Endorphin need any major changes, but I'm assuming they will also have the 157 rear spacing and perhaps a longer reach to help offset a slightly steeper seat tube angle and slacker HA. Maybe a little more travel. We'll see. I don't think 27.5 is dead.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-24-2018 at 05:39 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Bring back Baby Blue! Could live with raw though as well ...

mtbr member
    How would flipping an oval ring change the stroke placement? Its a mirror image, you arent flipping AND rotating it, just turning it over.
    The oval is tallest when the crankarms are at 4:00. If I flip it, either top to bottom or left to right on 4 bolt cranks, the oval will be tallest at 2:00.

The oval isn't symmetric with the bolt holes.
    Last edited by juan_speeder; 01-25-2018 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Raw for me please. I am waiting for the LT version though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Raw for me please. I am waiting for the LT version though.
    Yes neon green, carbon, LT 29er with a Jan 2019 release date.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is the LT version the 135mm travel that one of the articles mentioned?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goride4 View Post
    Is the LT version the 135mm travel that one of the articles mentioned?
    No. That's the Fugitive. The LT version is a different bike that hasn't been announced yet. Since we've got the Warden and the Fugitive....let's call the LT 29er the Convict.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    No, Noel stated in one of the articles that a long travel 2 9er was "2019s project". Not sure if that means start working on it in 2019, or release it in 2019 though...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    No. That's the Fugitive. The LT version is a different bike that hasn't been announced yet. Since we've got the Warden and the Fugitive....let's call the LT 29er the Convict.
    Good one. Or else the 'Take No Prisoners'

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes neon green, carbon, LT 29er with a Jan 2019 release date.
    Doesn't seem too much to ask for...

mtbr member
    Doesn't seem too much to ask for...
    I'm trying to be reasonable.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Kombinat.PL View Post
    The facts I got from Knolly:

- will work with coil front and back like all Knolly bikes

- currently only 3 coil shocks will fit trunnion mount: DHX2, Super Deluxe Coil RCT and Push 11-6

- Cane Creek DB Coil[IL] will not be probably available in time for the first batches.

Other facts concerning components:

- WolthTooth direct mount chain ring with 0 offset will work with GXP cranks and 157trail

- Praxis will launch 0 offset chainring this year

- There's possibility to make an adapter to fit CC [IL]'s to trunnion mount (custom made ATM)

Unofficial info from reliable sources:

- should be available both in AL and carbon from the start or within short period from launch

- Cane Creek 29er fork, both Coil and Air, should debut around the time Fugitive will hit the trails

I'm slightly disappointed, that Coil[IL] will not be available, as I would like to run it with OPT and DROPT for versatile setup for long rides. Preferably with Helm Coil in the front.

I also wait for a reply from CC, when trunnion mount shock will be available and also from Extreme Shocks if Storia LOK will be available in trunnion mount.
    there will be one frame, with two shock options (for 120 or 135mm RWT), aluminium alloy only
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos P View Post
    there will be one frame, with two shock options (for 120 or 135mm RWT), aluminium alloy only
    Yes, got that info from my dealer that no ETA of carbon. I'm made up my mind and decided to go C, after seeing WardenC. Knolly really did an astonishing job with that bike.

Color options are okish, only one suit my taste and with a little bit of customizing will look good.

mtbr member
    Yes, got that info from my dealer that no ETA of carbon. I'm made up my mind and decided to go C, after seeing WardenC. Knolly really did an astonishing job with that bike.

Color options are okish, only one suit my taste and with a little bit of customizing will look good.
    Where did you see colour options for the Fug 29er?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

sunday
    I know a guy...

The new colorways are AWESOME.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I heard the geometry wouldn't change so I don't know...maybe trunnion and non-trunnion shock would do the difference??? (really not a shock expert..lol)

So if the geometry is the same with 135mm, the bb would be about 13.3'' high with a 150mm up front and not 13.6'' as some of you thought. At least on GG website, it says +10mm travel up front will slack about 0.4į and b.b. about 0.1'' higher. So still a bit low for my liking and a bit surprise that knolly (bc roots...) comes up with a bike that low... but well it is suppose to be a 120mm trail bike.

I really don't know for the colors but I would pull the trigger on a special edition raw (like the raw/black Delirium!!!) but pretty sure they won't listen us and the're gonna be a bit like the Warden. If so, I hope their paint is gonna be better than those red endorphins!

I heard the same thing about CC for a coil shock as they couln't find a way yet to make it trunnion mount.

Since last year, I was afraid that they would come with integrated dropper post for some reasons but don't think so anymore... heard something about the dropper post that it could come with so happy if that's the case!

If I was to run a coil fork, I would like the MRP one and not CC but I think I would still prefer to just give the DVO Diamond a try.

I don't remember how my Absolute Black oval ring is made on my fatbike but pretty sure it's the same as my One Up on my summer bike; I have to decide where I want to put it which was a little pain in the ass in the beginning as I had no idea! Si even if it was true, you could just rotate it as you want it with a direct mount ring. As for 4 bolts, you could just rotate it 90į? But pretty sure it will be the same anyway as others said so don't overthink about it!

I'm sure the LT 145mm will be the same thing so something around 160/165 rear travel with another shock. It was suppose to be ready for late 2018 but now they say 2019 so 99% sure it will be out for or before spring. On Pinkbike they said all the bikes will be 157mm so I was happy as if 29er isn't my thing, I could go with an updated warden (already have 148mm wheels so wouldn't go 142) but then I read on facebook that it would take some time... If I remember, 2020 or something like that to have all their bikes on 157mm!

mtbr member
    From Knolly

Quote Originally Posted by c.o.d51 View Post
    I know a guy...

They look great, but it's a challenge to match good components with two of the colorways.

mtbr member
    Ah. My bad. I was picturing direct mount rings, hadnt thought of 4-bolt.

mtbr member
    I know a guy...

Pictures or it's fake news.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Ah. My bad. I was picturing direct mount rings, hadnt thought of 4-bolt.
    No problem. I guess I'm going to have to get new cranks anyways. Raceface Cinch with an AB direct mount oval seems to be the way I'll go.

sunday
    From Knolly

They look great, but it's a challenge to match good components with two of the colorways.
    No way! I've already got most of the bits to match one, and the other one wuldn't be hard. There's so many good ano bits out there, and the search for them is fun.

mtbr member
    I can vouch for that combo, as my wife has RF Next Cinch with an AB Oval 26T on her Endorphin. I cant vouch for what will happen if you have to flip the ring though

mtbr member
    I know a guy...

No way! I've already got most of the bits to match one, and the other one wuldn't be hard. There's so many good ano bits out there, and the search for them is fun.
    I don't like ano colors, so maybe that's why I dig only the one of those. But you are absolutely right that if you do like ano, you can make a really flashy/vivid combos.

Renthal bars looks like crap on almost everything, though but this time they may actually look good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH4L View Post
    I really don't know for the colors but I would pull the trigger on a special edition raw (like the raw/black Delirium!!!) but pretty sure they won't listen us and the're gonna be a bit like the Warden. If so, I hope their paint is gonna be better than those red endorphins!
    I only just realised they're no longer offering the Warden in raw along with the two colourways. LAME! I loved the look of my red Endo when it was new, but yeah the paint has taken a beating and I'm now wishing I'd gone with raw.

Not that it matters for me, I've never owned a carbon bike, and while I've got nothing against alloy (love my Endo still!) I've already decided that my next bike will be carbon, whatever it may be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nothing against carbon, but my next Knolly will almost certainly be aluminum.

mtbr member
    Nothing against carbon, but my next Knolly will almost certainly be aluminum.
    Having had carbon and AL I'm not really fussed either way. The carbon bikes I've looked at recently [for the most part] did not inspire me to spend $1K+ over the metal versions. I didn't find any magical ride qualities with carbon so I'd be getting it either because it's the only option for a particular bike or there is a significant weight savings over metal.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HH4L
    I heard the geometry wouldn't change so I don't know...maybe trunnion and non-trunnion shock would do the difference??? (really not a shock expert..lol)
    So, I'm new to the whole metric shock thing, but over on the Jenson site they've got the trunnion mount metric DHX2 listed, and it comes in several different strokes that all share the same length, so this makes sense.

Fox Float DPX2 Factory Trunnion Shock 18 | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ahh that's nice! I thought more as something like a normal shock mount for 120mm and trunnion mount for 135mm as maybe it could do the difference... But what you just saw IS our answer!

I tried an endo with a CC coil and really liked it but I think for my everyday bike, I would like it to be more poppy so I would try a Topaz T3 or T2.

Alloy for me too! I like the look of carbon frames but that's about it. Not willing to pay 1000+$ for carbon! My present enduro bike is 27-28 pounds, all aluminium except for the Next SL crank and SixC handlebar! A Knolly would be heavier but also stiffer so I don't care that much... Just hope I like those colors. Would have liked raw so I could match it with any color I want.

mtbr member
    There will be for coil shocks available in trunnion, aside from RS and Fox, there will be Push 11-6 and Extreme Shox Storia LOK. Storia will hit the market spring, early summer.

Coil [IL] probably is miles away, so I'm thinking about Storia more seriously now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has it been specified that there indeed will be two different shock lengths for the 120 and 135 travel modes on the Fugitive? It looks to me that the two different travel amounts are going to be based on different shock positions and not two different length shocks.

Knolly Fugitive Rumors and Reality Thread-knollyfugativeshockmounts.jpg

This is similar to what Guerrilla Gravity does on their MT/SD frame. The different shock position alters both the geometry and the travel for the same stroke shock. With the MT you get 150mm or 165mm of travel with a 65mm stroke shock that has an eye to eye length of 230mm. The SD uses the same eye to eye length but with a 57.5mm stroke to produce 135 or 145 mm of travel depending on the shock mount position used.

Is that the case here as well? Or would the two different mounts provide the same travel but only change the leverage curve and geometry?
    2017 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Might be both. 52.5mm in the forward hole for 120, and 55mm in the rear for 135.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyandhisBike View Post
    Has it been specified that there indeed will be two different shock lengths for the 120 and 135 travel modes on the Fugitive? It looks to me that the two different travel amounts are going to be based on different shock positions and not two different length shocks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnollyFugativeShockMounts.JPG 
Views:	552 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	1179909

Is that the case here as well? Or would the two different mounts provide the same travel but only change the leverage curve and geometry?
    All Knolly bikes have this feature for 2 different head tube angles. Head over to the Knolly's website, and you'll see two numbers for head tube angle, bottom bracket height, and seat tube angle. These two numbers are based on the position of the lower shock mount. It doesn't change the shock or stroke, just lets you adjust the head angle geo slightly for those long pedal days, or the days where you plan on getting a steep and rowdy.

I keep mine in the slack setting most of the time, but will change to steep if I know I'm doing primarily XC or hill riding. Bend, OR., steep setting vs. Squamish, I go slack.
    '04 Knolly VTach | '15 Knolly Podium | '16 Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Correction: Almost all Knolly bikes have the adjustable head tube angle in the lower shock mount, except the Endorphin. Also, some of the retired bikes had it and some didn't. My V-tach has the adjuster embedded in the four by linkage. Looks like the Podium and Delirium T didn't have it. My Delirium and the Warden have it though.

mtbr member
    The geo chart for the Fugitive shows two different HTA/STA numbers for the 120mm travel set up, so the two positions are there for that reason at least. Maybe with the longer shock option you'll only be able to use one of them? Guess it all depends if it's a longer shock length or just a longer stroke.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    The geo chart for the Fugitive shows two different HTA/STA numbers for the 120mm travel set up, so the two positions are there for that reason at least. Maybe with the longer shock option you'll only be able to use one of them? Guess it all depends if it's a longer shock length or just a longer stroke.
    There is no longer/shorter shock option, related to overall eye to eye. I get that trunnion vs standard might be described as longer/shorter, but the actual shock travel and eye to eye should not be different. It's a 120mm travel bike, with adjustable head tube angle. Using the slack vs steep, bottom shock mount adjuster, you can drop the bottom bracket a little bit, which slacks out the head tube and seat tube angles by .75 degrees. That's why the Knolly geo chart shows two numbers. Rear travel, shock length, and stroke does not change.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    All Knolly bikes have this feature for 2 different head tube angles. Head over to the Knolly's website, and you'll see...
    Correction: Almost all Knolly bikes have the adjustable head tube angle in the lower shock mount, except the Endorphin.
    Ha. I actually did go over to the Knolly website before posting but only looked at the Endo. Guess I should have looked around a bit more.

...It's a 120mm travel bike, with adjustable head tube angle... Rear travel, shock length, and stroke does not change.
    In the statement put out by Knolly he clearly said there would be two versions of the Fugitive.

"The first models to launch will be the upcoming Fugitive 120mm travel 29er and Fugitive 135mm travel 29er."

So I wonder what those configurations are going to look like? How different will the geometry of the 135 variant be from the 120, if at all, than that of the provided geo chart of the 120?

When is this bike slated to be released?
    2017 Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    My bad, I thought I might be missing something, but didn't see the announcement for two versions. I was confused because the post called them two "modes", rather than two different versions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    But it is still possible (likely even) that it's one frame with 2 different shock travels.

sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Pictures or it's fake news.
    Ha! I wish! But you know what they say...

sunday
    But it is still possible (likely even) that it's one frame with 2 different shock travels.
    This is what it is.

The two shock mounts are for steep and slack mode.

mtbr member
    Yep. Knolly confirmed somewhere in the comments on facebook or pinkbike that it's one frame with the option of changing the shock to run it at 120mm or 135mm travel. A long-travel 29er is on the cards for 2019.

What hasn't been confirmed are the dimensions for the shock for each mode, so it could be the same length with different stroke, or different length and stroke (as the Delirium is).

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Like David R said, the long travel is for 2019. The two bikes are the same frame but with a different shock so you can have 120mm or 135mm. That's pretty simple and Knolly already told that... If you have facebook, go take a look at their posts and you'll have all that info.

The 2 holes are for slack and neutral mode, just like you can see in the geo chart. Same thing as the warden.

I don't know the dimensions but I heard that the shocks would be the same length (with different stroke) so the geometry would stay the same. It will change if you put a 150mm fork though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Like David R said, the long travel is for 2019. The two bikes are the same frame but with a different shock so you can have 120mm or 135mm. That's pretty simple and Knolly already told that... If you have facebook, go take a look at their posts and you'll have all that info.

The 2 holes are for slack and neutral mode, just like you can see in the geo chart. Same thing as the warden.

I don't know the dimensions but I heard that the shocks would be the same length (with different stroke) so the geometry would stay the same. It will change if you put a 150mm fork though.
    Yeah I got it thanks. Don't have or want farcebook though, so will have to wait for more information to come out. One of the local shops has Knolly demos so hopefully I will get a chance to try one out.

banned
    Jun 2016
    Knolly was skewered on pinkbike for trying to market their 157trail hub as as innovation on par with sliced bread. Read the comments, hilarious. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/knolly...-157trail.html

Some of the funnier posts on Knolly's 157trail marketing tactics:

"For a company which claims to be avoiding marketing BS, there certainly is a lot of marketing BS in this..."

"I think the audience has been vocal about not wanting marketing BS so the marketeers jumped into that and now market their standpoint of not creating marketing BS. I think this way of marketing is getting boring real quick so I expect we'll soon have to deal with marketeers who market the company standpoint of not marketing their avoidance of creating marketing BS. I think once we've reached that point the PB audience will be tied in a knot discussing what level of marketing BS they just read."

mtbr member
    From Knolly Support: 185X55 for 135.

mtbr member
    Did a Knolly kill your puppy or something? I couldn't imagine being so opposed to a bike company, of all things, that I'd clog up their forum with whatever it is you think you are accomplishing. I tried to read the "how do Knollys climb" thread, but you kinda killed that one.

Carry on though, I'm sure it makes you feel better for some reason.

mtbr member
    Did a Knolly kill your puppy or something?
    He's a troll. Stirring up $hit is his only objective. Don't feed the troll. Put him on ignore. I did.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yeah I got it thanks. Don't have or want farcebook though, so will have to wait for more information to come out. One of the local shops has Knolly demos so hopefully I will get a chance to try one out.
    It's okay, I didn't have facebook before but was ''forced'' to subscribe as a lot of infos I wanted was now on fb and no more forum, etc. Just continue to read what we say and you should be good! hehe

From Knolly Support: 185X55 for 135.
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That night actually mean something if you buy your bikes based on pb comments. Personally I will look at the geometry numbers, go for a test ride, and make my own decision. I have no doubt that the fug will be a great trail bike.

mtbr member
    Ha! I wish! But you know what they say...
    Understood. Guess Iíll have to check with my sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I asked Knolly if an orange 36 would look alright with the colors that they are offering and got this reply "There will be three colours in total for this bike and two of which will have orange on them to match the orange 36. One of these two will be raw with some orange decals."

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I would prefer black or blue but well.... I guess maybe I could buy orange stuff... :S

mtbr member
    No coil options for 120, but at least DHX2 coil for 135, maybe others.

mtbr member
    Not mad at you JS, but for fecks sakes Knolly do we really have to painfully leak out each bit of bike spec one item at a time via somebody's buddy or leak at HQ? Can you not just announce everything already????

It's getting kind of ridiculous.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Not mad at you JS, but for fecks sakes Knolly do we really have to painfully leak out each bit of bike spec one item at a time via somebody's buddy or leak at HQ? Can you not just announce everything already????

It's getting kind of ridiculous.
    I just asked a lot of questions via email, and got them all answered for the most part. I assume it's free for me to post, since I'm a nobody, relative to all things Knolly.

mtbr member
    I just asked a lot of questions via email, and got them all answered for the most part. I assume it's free for me to post, since I'm a nobody, relative to all things Knolly.
    For sure. Not suggesting you shouldn't post.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I heard the opposite so I'm kind of happy that coil is finally for the 135! It makes more sense... And I suppose it will be the same for 145 (trail mode, more poppy) and then a coil shock for full dh destroy mode!

mtbr member
    I think that Extreme Shox could make a you an awesome Storia Lok to fit Fugitive @ 120. The shock is very well received and I've met people that preferred it to 11-6.

I asked them a question about 185x55 and await a reply.

EXT STORIA LOK - ENDURO RACING - Extreme Racing Shox

mtbr member
    I think that Extreme Shox will make a you an awesome Storia Lok to fit Fugitive @ 120. The shock is very well received and I've met people that preferred it to 11-6.

EXT STORIA LOK - ENDURO RACING - Extreme Racing Shox
    I meant to imply that there's no stock coil options at 120. Fox makes one that fits. That Storia might be too pricey in addition to the wheel and cranks that I'm already going to have to buy to get on board a Fugitive. I might just go 135 to get a stock coil, but still run a 140 fork, since I'm oddly more interested in climbing performance over DH performance (though I suspect I'll get both).

mtbr member
    Juan,

Clear. Storia is pricey for sure. Hence I wanted DB[IL], but CC didn't even bother to answer my email. They even didn't inform their dealers when trunnion mount will be available.

Below a few words from Dirt on Storia:

"What we like most of all is the grip, the incredible sensitivity that the Storia allows when tracking through root and off camber. In those situations it rates very, very highly. In some ways itís pretty unnerving to ride the Storia, as muscle memory insists damping should have a certain feel. "

That got me thinking what it would feel like with Knolly suspension... climbing rock rolls

Keep on Rockin...
    I meant to imply that there's no stock coil options at 120. Fox makes one that fits. That Storia might be too pricey in addition to the wheel and cranks that I'm already going to have to buy to get on board a Fugitive. I might just go 135 to get a stock coil, but still run a 140 fork, since I'm oddly more interested in climbing performance over DH performance (though I suspect I'll get both).

I'm jumping into this without reading everything, so I apologize in advance if I'm off target.

Climbing with a coil. Travel issues aside, I've found my currently Endorphin climbs amazingly well with a CC Inline coil. I think it a misconception that coils don't climb well. If the travel feels "too supple" a shock like the Inline easily allows one to up the LSC.

The climb switch on the CC Inline coil really works super well. Despite that I almost never use it. About the only time I do is on super steep, smooth climbs.

Pretty sure if the only way the Fug can run a coil is to bump it to 135, then that is what I'm going to do. My hope was to run 2.6" tires on the bike (another thread, but the new Maxxis 2.6" tires are a game changer - at least in the 275 flavor). Its likely at the 135 tire clearance will end up being an issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Its likely at the 135 tire clearance will end up being an issue.
    I think that 2.6 is regardless of travel, as it would be explicitly stated in the press release. Or am I wrong?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I'm jumping into this without reading everything, so I apologize in advance if I'm off target.
    Totally on target, and thinking along almost exactly the same lines as I am. Big tire clearance coupled with short chainstays is one of the primary reasons I want a Fugitive. My current favorite bike is my hardtail Trek Stache on which I'm running Minion 29x3.0s, so I'm well aware of what big tires bring to the table. As to coil, yeah, I'm going that route for technical climbing performance. DH performance is an ancillary benefit.

I bet tire clearance will be fine at 135.

Keep on Rockin...
    I think that 2.6 is regardless of travel, as it would be explicitly stated in the press release. Or am I wrong?
    Not sure about that one. Just based that theory on what you see with other adjustable travel frames.

mtbr member
    From the pinkbike article, Fugitive with 29x2.6" tyre:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15527075/

Plenty of tyre clearance within the stays, doesn't mention if that's 120mm or 135mm travel mode though. I just can't imagine, after all the talk of engineering things properly, that Knolly would make it so you can bump up the rear travel but only if you run a tiny rear tyre. It's not some dodgy after-though hack mod that people have discovered, the bike has been designed for this to be done. Maybe we should be thinking of it more as a 135mm travel bike that you can short-shock if you want a more playful kinda ride?

Keep on Rockin...
    From the pinkbike article, Fugitive with 29x2.6" tyre:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/15527075/

Plenty of tyre clearance within the stays, doesn't mention if that's 120mm or 135mm travel mode though. I just can't imagine, after all the talk of engineering things properly, that Knolly would make it so you can bump up the rear travel but only if you run a tiny rear tyre. It's not some dodgy after-though hack mod that people have discovered, the bike has been designed for this to be done. Maybe we should be thinking of it more as a 135mm travel bike that you can short-shock if you want a more playful kinda ride?
    Hopefully you are right.

No doubt the bike will be designed for tires well beyond the "tiny tire" end of the spectrum. Even the Endo I run handles a 2.6" tire (just barely) and that frame was out before that size tire. The 2.6" is not quite mainstream yet and falls on the very large end of the spectrum for a non-plus tire.

All that said, those Maxxis 2.6" tires seem a bit shy of that size, like most of their tires.

Again, I much prefer that my concerns are undue, and that you are correct.

Not a deal breaker for me either way.

mtbr member
    You're running a DHF/Forecaster combo eh? Despite all the lusting after new bikes and 29er curiosity I think I'll probably build a new wheelset for the Endo and try something like that first.

Just looking at the design of the frame I don't think the increased travel should be affected by tyre size. It's not like a long-shocked Santa Cruz where a larger tyre could contact the seat tube, thats physically impossible with the 4x4 set up.

mtbr member

Good job!

From Knolly Support:

The 135 will accommodate a 2.6 in 29. The different travel will not hinder tire clearance. So you will be good to go!

mtbr member
    I asked Knolly .........One of these two will be raw with some orange decals."
    Oh, Iíd be all over that.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Keep on Rockin...
    From Knolly Support:

The 135 will accommodate a 2.6 in 29. The different travel will not hinder tire clearance. So you will be good to go!
    Right on!

Keep on Rockin...
    You're running a DHF/Forecaster combo eh? Despite all the lusting after new bikes and 29er curiosity I think I'll probably build a new wheelset for the Endo and try something like that first...

(Off topic warning)

Yeah. DHF3C up front, Forkaster DC out back. 2.6

They are a game changer. So much its unlikely I'd buy a bike, at least in a 275, that could not fit a 2.6".

Those chubby tires were an experiment as was the whole Endo purchase, but it was a very cost effective move for a back up bike. However, I had no expectations it would all work out. I'm not a plus tire fan. Also, didn't care for the Maxxis 2.5" WT flavor - very rugged and grippy but slow rollers. Had a DH tire feel to it.

Those 2.6" tires, in that set up, are great. We have very techy, rocky, pedally, punchy, slick trails. They offer excellent grip, even with "only" a DC Forekaster out back. They really tame the trail chatter and make for a much more controlled ride when taking chunk at speed.

They mute the trail chatter so they feel a bit slower on the pedally sections. But according to my wrist watch on 35-45min loops they came in significantly faster than my other trail bike with a 2.3" DHF/DHR. And that bike has a much higher end, lighter build.

How this applies to a 29" thread... I've been an early 29" adopter and though my last few bikes have not been 29" I knew I'd migrate back. The big hoops do what those 2.6" tires do - they really mute the trail chatter. They grip and offer increased overall bike control on the trail. But, will a 29" have anything to offer over a 275x2.6? A 29x2.6 might just be too much tire; too much of a good thing. Going less than a 29x2.6 and I'd likely just stay 275x2.6.

Great choices, and great time to be a biker.

mtbr member
    "May"

Which nicely coincides with my birthday and the snow melting in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Oh, Iíd be all over that.

Really? 991 RSR GTE will be way faster! Wanna bet

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I emailed Knolly and as it is nothing new, I suppose it ain't a secret so.... they will keep that 31.6 seat tube for the Fugitive!!

Time to buy my Revive!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I emailed Knolly and as it is nothing new, I suppose it ain't a secret so.... they will keep that 31.6 seat tube for the Fugitive!!

Time to buy my Revive!

That makes sense. It's a well established standard with lots of available posts in that size.

mtbr member
    Cheers Miker, I'll cut it with the off-topic now!

I guess it makes sense sticking with the 31.6 post, too many people would lose their sh!t if they "invented" another "new" standard to go with the rear hub....

mtbr member
    That makes sense. It's a well established standard with lots of available posts in that size.
    It also says it on the geometry chart.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    . One of these two will be raw with some orange decals."
    Orange decals? So it aint paint? You think we could peel it off easily or it now got a clear coat? It looks better than I thought... But still need it all raw and black so I can put blue components!

I REALLY dig the other one, without any orange though!!

mtbr member
    Really? 991 RSR GTE will be way faster! Wanna bet
    Well yes, of course. But I canít have one of those.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejMxiB-ZhI

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Well yes, of course. But I canít have one of those.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejMxiB-ZhI

Yeah, but you should go for lightly used one , it's more feasible

I usually don't post attractive riders' picks, but I just can't stop drooling over this pick:

love

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do we think they're waiting until bikes are on the ground in Canada and ready to ship before there will be any new news, live photos/videos or options to start buying?
    Can't believe we haven't seen a single pic of Doerfling, sideways, dropping into the void!
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Do we think they're waiting until bikes are on the ground in Canada and ready to ship before there will be any new news, live photos/videos or options to start buying?
    Can't believe we haven't seen a single pic of Doerfling, sideways, dropping into the void!
    I heard from a trusted source that this was all a cunning marketing campaign to keep interest high. The first time you see a Fug will be when you find it hiding in the back of your garage running from the cops.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    So, 50mm shock stroke for 120mm, and 55mm shock stroke for 135. Fox, at least, also makes a 52.5mm stroke shock in the right dimensions, so there's actually the possibility of a 127.5mm travel Fugitive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I can't even have a price so yeah a bit weird if they're suppose to be on the floor by spring..

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast