It's Chilly on the lifts!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

It's Chilly on the lifts!

Finally got to do some DH/FR riding with the Chilly. I just got back from 4 days at Highland Mountain Bike Park. My buddy needed a big bike so I brought the Delirium for him so I had both the Chilly and the Delirium available and I was able to put them back to back on pretty much all types of terrain and conditions.

Before I get started I need to throw a plug in for Highland Mountain Bike Park. HMBP started in 06 when the current owner purchased a defunct ski mountain with the intent on turning it into a full blown dedicated mountain bike park. He has succeeded and then some. The mountain itself is not very tall but the trails are sick! You have everything from high speed bermy flowy stuff, to A-line type trails, to pure DH stuff. Add to that a sweet lodge with good food and a solid bar with micro-brews on tap and a super laid back atmosphere. If you ever get the chance to go, get there! Highland Mountain Bike Park

I kept everything stock on the Chilly and the Delirium adding some DH tires (2.6 and 2.4 Ardents). Day1&2 involved a bunch of rain so we had lots of slippery stuff going on as well as super thick mud with pretty much unlimited runs. Day3&4 were sunny so we had variable conditions but much faster with some real great runs at the end of Day4. Not as many runs though as it was Saturday and Sunday.

DH:
    Highland has a few chunky trails with only 2 of them being on the hairy side of things. So a 6x6 or 7x7 bike is pretty solid for this park so both bikes were solid with the Delirium edging out the Chilly. It wasn't horrible with the Chilly but you had to pick your lines better to keep your rims from getting clanked. The Delirium was able to plow better through this stuff. If we had more of these type of trails I'd consider throwing a 40 on the Delirium to scream through this stuff.

Bermy/Flowy:
    I enjoyed the Chilly more on these types of trails. I liked having a snappier peddler for when I screw up and have to regain my speed. The lightness factor also helped with being able to throw the bike around and lean deep into the berms. The Delirium was better when the berms got chunkier as you could feel the stiffness of the bike and the extra travel helped delete brake bumps and kicked up rocks.

Bermy/Tables/Jumps:
    This one was tough to choose from. It was nice having the lighter bike to pop and throw around and catch up peddling. But the higher speeds made the extra stiffness of the Delirium stick out. I did back to back runs on one of these trails with both bikes and it was kind of funny how the bikes really did feel different in the air and took some adapting to get used to. Honestly, I could get use to either one and have a great time.

Drops/Steeps:
    The Delirium did edge the Chilly out on the bigger drops but not by as much as I thought it would. I hit all the same drops and the suspension soaked things up w/o problems. Highland does have pretty good landings on most of their drops, so that helps. The chilly did seem to float around a little more taking more concentration to not screw up the landing. I did get real nose heavy on a drop with the Chilly and I was able to pull it out. The steeps were about the same with the Delirium being nicer handling the chunky but the Chilly being easier to keep control with it's lightness.

Overall:
    I've been riding the Delirium at Highland for years and it's alway be a great bike for this park, but I have to say I'm super impressed with how the Chilly handled itself. The Delirium feels more forgiving and handles the chunky stuff better with the extra travel and stiffness but the Chilly was snappier and a far superior peddler. Honestly, if I had to choose between the 2 for this park I'd have a hard time deciding. If Highland were chunkier I'd probably pick the Delirium.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great review, thanks for taking the time to write it up!

TSC
    Buehliever
    +1

I learn a lot from such detailed ride reports. Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    +2 a

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great review of the two frames. Thanks.

What the ----?
    Nice review woodyak. Highland mbp is pretty cool, for those of you living in the northeast and never been there check it out .

mtbr member
    Great review! Highland is a great park with really fun trails. The GE race course last year was absolutely stellar.

mtbr member
    HIGHLAND IS WORTH A FLIGHT!!! That's how good it is...These guys build incredibly diverse and creative trails. Every type of trail you can imagine.

mtbr member
    If no pics, it didn't happen...

Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

TSC
    Buehliever
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    If no pics, it didn't happen...

Love this question but it always makes me wonder where I came from, because there are no pics of my conception or birth. HOWEVER, I would rather accept that neither happened than be shown that they did.

Members who have read this thread: 0