?HammerSchmidt?- Mtbr.com

Thread: ?HammerSchmidt?

Bnerd

?HammerSchmidt?

I am seriously considering buying and installing a HammerSchmidt onto my Delirium.

I have been looking through the Delirium build thread and have seen that several Delirium owners have the HS on their bikes.
    My question to those people is, after some serious ride time, are you still happy with the HS? What are the pros and cons?

I know that 1x9/1x10 is now all the rage and it would seem I'm not following what is expected of the now single ring mtb world.
    I have considered a single ring set up. However, where I ride (a lot of straight up climbing) and how I ride (staying seated and spinning on the granny - I'm not one for standing and mashing) does not seem to work itself with the ratios I've researched.
    I'm not really looking to be converted to the single ring movement. I do understand some of the benefits but I am quite happy with the dual ring set up I have now. This is why I'm looking into the HS.

Another reason I'm considering the HS is for clearance. I am running a Blackspire dual ring chainguide and that thing has taken a beating since it's been on my bike! I'm not sure that I can bend it safely back into place any more!

The Delirium is also my "one" bike. I ride it for everything. In the WBP and for big pedal rides.

mtbr member

Would work good for your application

I just got rid of mine. I dont pedal my Delirium much so I decided to go 1x9. I ran a HS for two years, it works great, the only downside is the weight (about a pound penalty) and the drag in the overdrive gear (middle ring), there is no drag in the granny but the drag in the middle ring starts to wear on you after a while. The only problem I had was that I broke two plastic cable stops where the cable goes into the gear assembly, its a very exposed area and takes hits easily. I ran the AM version which is lighter than the FR and it held up fine to my punishment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just switched my HS to a 1x10. 2.5 lb savings on an AM bike is pretty significant. HS works great (I wish they could replace the rear mech with this technology), but I found I was using similar gear ratios as 1x10.

Woohooo! Moderator
    I've been running mine for almost three years now and I really like it. It is heavy for sure, but it's so nice to instantly shift up or down (you see and read "instantly" but I just didn't understand how instant "instantly" was until I put mine on ). I love the extra clearance on rocks, and it enables me to run a 2.7" rear tire in the 16.4" chainstay setting (first gen Delirium T). I shift a lot more often in the front with the HS than I ever used to. I definitely couldn't ride my DT without some sort of "dual ring" setup.

As Craig mentioned, the plastic cable stop at the bottom is kinda lame (I carry a spare in my camelbak just in case I break another one). I've also had the pawls freeze "open" twice in heavy wet snow which completely killed my pedaling ablity--it just spun in both directions. I've done snow rides since then without a problem though.

I don't find the drag to be a problem at all. If I'm climbing, I use the 1:1 ratio where there is no loss. When I'm going downhill, I don't notice the drag in the 1:1.6 ratio. Other than the cost and the weight, I don't see any reason not to run a HS if you need a granny (which I do). It's a much better solution than an E-type derailluer in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Exactly what Kristian said. It is heavy as heck, but I run a completely derailleur free setup. HS up front and Alfine-8 in back. This is fine for going up hills (in the 1:1 setting), better for going downhill and switching into any gear anytime.

Some people say they don't notice the drag in 1:1.6 setting. You can feel it best on flat ground. So HS is definately NOT for XC and fire road type stuff. I have done epic rides on it (8-10 hrs), but you have to like abuse for that.

I have also had is freeze up in colorado snow. Both the HS and Alfine wouldn't shift. I think it was 5F for the Alfine, and 15F for the HS. But seriously, it is hard to bike much below 20F anyway since you cannot breathe normally.

Lastly, I would go for the AM version. The weight isnt that bad, and I found the cranks to be stiff enough.
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

mtbr member
    I love mine. 2 years strong with no problems. The drag could be an issue but I spend most of my riding in the granny ring on the HS and only shift into overdrive when I am really moving. (Could have something to do with using a 42lb DT as an XC bike most of the time). At speed I don't notice the friction.

I run an 11-32 in the back with a short cage rd (love the short cage). I tried an 11-34 but had clearance issues with the short cage and the 34t cog that I could fix.

Bnerd
    Thanks for the replies.

String what do you mean you had clearance issues with a 11-34 cassette and short cage rear derailleur?
    That is the same cassette and derailleur I'm running currently. I have the chain set up in way that I can't be in 34 on the back and be in the 32 ring in the front. The way I look at it is if I need to be in that low a gear for going up I might as well be in the granny.
    I figured if I went to the HS I could run the same 11-34 and 22T HS and not have any issues?

mtbr member
    My guess is it is not a hammerschmidt issue but I have no idea. (I do have a DT not a Delerium so that what I say for what its worth)

It was a strange issue. The short cage (Sram XO) would would hit the 34t cog. Broke 2 derailleurs, replaced cable housing, drop out, played with cable tension, chain length , and all set screws. Running Hadley hubs, sram PG-990 cassette, and chain. It always baffled me because I could never figure out why. (in hindsight it is possible my chain could have been too short...that has always been my best guess). The mid cage worked fine.

Always broke on a lunch ride when I snuck away from the office for a ride, quick shower at the gym, and back to work for meetings....guess I should not play hooky!

At the time I was running the 24T ring on the HS and the 34T cog. I switched to the 22T HS and 11-32 and never really had a problem. I do rarely miss the 34T but most of my climbs are very short and steep and you are either going to muscle up it or not make it. Not too many long spinning climbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    String, that is strange.. I have almost exactly the same setup on my delirium - Hadley rear, PG-990 cassette 11-34, X9 short cage derailleur, 24T HS ring, and I have not had any issues.

To the OP, after riding the HS for a season, I will never go back to a front derailleur. I may go 1x9/1x10 or I may decide to keep the HS, but the front D is dead to me. Like kristian, with the HS I tend to shift a lot more in front than in the rear. I tend to find a decent gear like 26 or 23 in back and leave it there, then use the front to shift into climbing (1:1) or descending (1:1.6) mode. I'll flip the HS even for a 10 ft downhill! instant shifts allow for no "wrong gear penalty" once you hit the uphill, and the extra little bit of momentum can make the climb easier. I shift the HS at every opportunity. I'll only shift the rear if it's a long fast section (typically downhill) and i'm spinning too quickly, or if i'm completely spent and can't climb anything.

With regards to the drag, I think it's overstated. It is only noticeable at low speed (5-7 mph and below, maybe), and in that case you shouldn't be in overdrive anyway. Switch to overdrive only when pointed downhill, or if it's flat but you are cruising at 10+ mph. I've never considered the drag a detriment to the system.

The weight is the only negative in my eyes.

Members who have read this thread: 0