Fugitive build and picture thread - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Are you running your burly bike in slack mode? I am experimenting between slack and neutral, often changing it at the top of the climb. I do like slack when heading back down!
    I am running them both in slack mode. I like the bb height for cornering and the slacker seat angle for comfort on the bike. Steep mode works well for steep extended climbs, but it's not worth changing it for me.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Getting high. Been riding a lot the past two months with some forced time off (thank you COVID). I’m liking this Fugitve more and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fugitive build and picture thread-37c15750-609c-4b75-aa8c-325b37bad0e4.jpg

Got the new bike finally built up. Had to wait forever for the fork to arrive but it’s done for now.

My initial impressions are exactly what everyone has been saying/preaching. The bike certainly doesn’t feel or ride like a 29er. Something about the front end not feeling like that classic 29er feeling - you know when your tire feels like it’s 5’ in front of you. Climbing is a tad more sluggish than my HD3 but boy does it devour it on descents. Can’t even compare the two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Welcome to the club. It's a sweet looking build

It's a bike that keeps on giving, even after nearly a year and coming into winter, I keep being happier and happier to get out on it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Can‘t help there - but I switched from a V1 Phantom to the Fugitive - and I really loved the Phantom. You would not be disappointed with the Fugitive - it is a perfect allround bike. I bought the frame right before the V 3 Banshee models came out - it would have been a hard decision between the Fugitive and the new Prime. :-) But as I said - the Fug is a great bike!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rushy41 View Post
    Can‘t help there - but I switched from a V1 Phantom to the Fugitive - and I really loved the Phantom. You would not be disappointed with the Fugitive - it is a perfect allround bike. I bought the frame right before the V 3 Banshee models came out - it would have been a hard decision between the Fugitive and the new Prime. :-) But as I said - the Fug is a great bike!
    I appreciate the feedback. The prime v2 was a great bike but the Fugitive LT sounds like a such a good all rounder. I ordered the LT frame this week and I am pretty eager to try out the 4x4 suspension. This will be my first Knolly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    that is gorgeous!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beach_boy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37C15750-609C-4B75-AA8C-325B37BAD0E4.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	324.6 KB 
ID:	1342623

Got the new bike finally built up. Had to wait forever for the fork to arrive but it’s done for now.

My initial impressions are exactly what everyone has been saying/preaching. The bike certainly doesn’t feel or ride like a 29er. Something about the front end not feeling like that classic 29er feeling - you know when your tire feels like it’s 5’ in front of you. Climbing is a tad more sluggish than my HD3 but boy does it devour it on descents. Can’t even compare the two.
    Let's try that again....That is gorgeous!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Good day all,
    I'm 300 w gear and I just ordered my XL fugitive LT frame Blue/orange. So far I have purchased the following and would like a little assistance with my build if possible.
    So far I have
    rims, tires- 29 x 2.4, BA30 w strong spokes
    saint brakes, 200-180,
    GX drive train
    Mezzer fork- 160 m
    what size headset would you get - looking at hell bender70 and dropper post, and pro taper bar and stem
    thoughts

mtbr member
    Fugitive build and picture thread-05d12e8c-446b-4534-acd9-fd29cdc1ec4f.jpeg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrktms5 View Post
    Good day all,
    I'm 300 w gear and I just ordered my XL fugitive LT frame Blue/orange. So far I have purchased the following and would like a little assistance with my build if possible.
    So far I have
    saint brakes, 200-180,
    GX drive train
    Mezzer fork- 160 m
    what size headset would you get - looking at hell bender70 and dropper post, and pro taper bar and stem
    thoughts
    And I understand it, the Hellbender isn’t as well sealed as cane creek’s other units. Only use it if you want your cockpit slammed (negative rise stem and/or flat bars would work here too) or if your fork’s steerer tube is too short for a headset with a typical stack height. But as mezzers are still a fairly new product, you’re likely buying it new and can leave the steerer plenty long

locked - time out
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post
    And I understand it, the Hellbender isn’t as well sealed as cane creek’s other units. Only use it if you want your cockpit slammed (negative rise stem and/or flat bars would work here too) or if your fork’s steerer tube is too short for a headset with a typical stack height. But as mezzers are still a fairly new product, you’re likely buying it new and can leave the steerer plenty long

Quote Originally Posted by incubus View Post

None of what you wrote about the hellbender makes any sense. I think you're confusing it with the slamset

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    None of what you wrote about the hellbender makes any sense. I think you're confusing it with the slamset

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Doh! You’re exactly right. My bad

hispanic mechanic
    Good day all,
    So far I have
    saint brakes, 200-180,
    GX drive train
    Mezzer fork- 160 m
    thoughts
    I'd say you're on the right track!

The Hellbender seems like a good option, especially if you're gonna be hitting stuff hard as a bigger rider.

No experience with the Mezzer, but looks solid on paper.

As for droppers, if you have long legs, you'll put more stress on a longer post. Perhaps something like the OneUp v2 that has a solid reputation but isn't super expensive and has easily replaceable shims?
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

hispanic mechanic
    Here's a couple of shots from the weekend...Fugitive build and picture thread-img-1632small.jpg

Fugitive build and picture thread-img-1627small.jpg

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    Here's a couple of shots from the weekend...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1632small.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	497.2 KB 
ID:	1345265

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-1627small.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	520.9 KB 
ID:	1345267
    Looking good sslos. Where is that?

I just got back from four days in Sun Valley and the Fugitive was the perfect companion.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Looking good sslos. Where is that?

I just got back from four days in Sun Valley and the Fugitive was the perfect companion.

Both of those shots are on a relatively underused trail system that we'll be working on this season, about 13 miles from downtown Boise. We're pretty lucky to have so many trails so close!

Glad you had fun in SV- we're going to be helping their trail advocacy group on some trails south of their at Soldier Mountain in a few weeks!

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fugitive build and picture thread

Tires...need to replace DHF/aggressor combo. Did some searching on here but not finding much variety. Before I buy the same thing again, who’s had good luck with something different than Maxxis for general NorCal/Sierra conditions on there FLT?

mtbr member
    Stay with Maxxis .

mtbr member
    We're pretty lucky to have so many trails so close!!
    Oh absolutely. We rode twice a day for four days and barely scratched the surface in SV. Not to mention Galena Summit and Stanley.

In fact, I was thinking it might be cool to do our next Knollyfest there.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Oh absolutely. We rode twice a day for four days and barely scratched the surface in SV. Not to mention Galena Summit and Stanley.

In fact, I was thinking it might be cool to do our next Knollyfest there.

Sooo... there are also trails being built down the road at Soldier Mtn...

I’d also take a look at the McCall area, about 1 1/2 hours from Boise. Tamarack has a bunch of new terrain, there’s some fun stuff at Jug Mountain, and a fair amount of stuff right around McCall itself!

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Good day all,
    So far I have
    saint brakes, 200-180,
    GX drive train
    Mezzer fork- 160 m
    thoughts
    Looks pretty good to me. I'm not 300, but I'm not light.

For me, I'd up the rear rotor to 200.

I've also had the Wolftooth headset suggested as a replacement for the cane creeks which keep getting creaky on me, but I'm yet to actually try one. (other lighter friends seem to have no trouble. Also the issues I've found are determined from a sampleset of one person)

Also XT/SLX rather than GX (personal preference, get whichever one you prefer )

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Stay with Maxxis .
    There are options other than Maxxis?

mtbr member
    Sooo... there are also trails being built down the road at Soldier Mtn...

I’d also take a look at the McCall area, about 1 1/2 hours from Boise. Tamarack has a bunch of new terrain, there’s some fun stuff at Jug Mountain, and a fair amount of stuff right around McCall itself!
    Like I said. An embarrassment of riches. So jealous.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi01 View Post
    Tires...need to replace DHF/aggressor combo. Did some searching on here but not finding much variety. Before I buy the same thing again, who’s had good luck with something different than Maxxis for general NorCal/Sierra conditions on there FLT?
    I have had a lot of time on 2.5/2.6 DHF front 2.5 DHF/2.5 Aggressor rear pairings and have liked all of them. I recently set up two different sets of wheels and tires.

Set 1 is a 35i rim with the new Maxxis 2.6 EXO+ Dissector. F/R I only have 5 rides on them, but really liking them so far. They roll faster than the DHF/Aggressor combo and are very predictable in corners and braking. They will let go earlier than the DHF in a corner, but it is very forgiving and easy to correct. The 2.6 does fit in the rear of the Fugitive, but the clearance is not as good as the 2.5's. I get an occasional small pine cone or rock pinging off of the seat stay bridge.

Set 2: Rims are 30i (weight is similar to the 35i) and have 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Damp Addix soft mounted up. I have at least 20 rides on these and prefer them for smoother trail rides. They are faster than I expected and make the ride feel more lively compared to the 1000+ gram Maxxis tires I like to run for most of my riding. The tires are predictable, but do tend to drift more easily than the tires mentioned above. So far I have not had any noticeable wear or torn knobs like the original Hans Dampf.

Hope that helps,
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I have had a lot of time on 2.5/2.6 DHF front 2.5 DHF/2.5 Aggressor rear pairings and have liked all of them. I recently set up two different sets of wheels and tires.

Set 1 is a 35i rim with the new Maxxis 2.6 EXO+ Dissector. F/R I only have 5 rides on them, but really liking them so far. They roll faster than the DHF/Aggressor combo and are very predictable in corners and braking. They will let go earlier than the DHF in a corner, but it is very forgiving and easy to correct. The 2.6 does fit in the rear of the Fugitive, but the clearance is not as good as the 2.5's. I get an occasional small pine cone or rock pinging off of the seat stay bridge.

Set 2: Rims are 30i (weight is similar to the 35i) and have 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Damp Addix soft mounted up. I have at least 20 rides on these and prefer them for smoother trail rides. They are faster than I expected and make the ride feel more lively compared to the 1000+ gram Maxxis tires I like to run for most of my riding. The tires are predictable, but do tend to drift more easily than the tires mentioned above. So far I have not had any noticeable wear or torn knobs like the original Hans Dampf.

Hope that helps,
    Very helpful. Thanks. I had HDs on my Endo and really liked them. Thought they might not hold up quite as well on the Fugitive though. Just looking for less rolling resistance than the 2.6 DHF/2.5 Agg Exo+. Will have a look at the Dissector.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12